Home
Posted By: mlschnei How much can a coyote eat? - 02/11/13
A few days ago a large roadkill whitetail buck lay in the
ditch at the end of my driveway. He was missing only his head
someone had chopped off. Overnight, he was reduced to a
spinal column with partial ribs, and couple lower legs
scattered around. 150+ pounds of meat and guts consumed in
8-12 hours. How many coyotes would that take?
around here they don't last overnight between the coyotes and the hogs.
Posted By: eh76 Re: How much can a coyote eat? - 02/11/13
not many..ever hear the saying eat like a coyote...what you can when you can?
Coyotes, coons, opossums and other misc. scavengers..
I'd bet it wasn't just coyotes that ate him.
Posted By: LBSmith Re: How much can a coyote eat? - 02/11/13
3 or 4 coyotes would clean it up like that, in a short amount of time. They will eat as much as they can and go puke it up away from the carcass (like a fox does) and go back at a later date to eat their puke. I have seen 7 coyotes completely clean up a 1300 lbs cow in 5 days.
Coyotes can eat up to 10 pounds when feeding on something they can gorge themselves on.

The number of coyotes eating on something makes it disappear quick sometimes.... Saw a 600 pound calf reduced to a skeleton in two days a few years back. Lots of coyotes to do that!
Posted By: BangPop Re: How much can a coyote eat? - 02/11/13
Originally Posted by LBSmith
3 or 4 coyotes would clean it up like that, in a short amount of time. They will eat as much as they can and go puke it up away from the carcass (like a fox does) and go back at a later date to eat their puke. I have seen 7 coyotes completely clean up a 1300 lbs cow in 5 days.
Here's a man that knows coyote behavior. They will visit that carcass several times per night eating all they can stuff in, then puke it up in a secure location for later consumption. The coyote version of a dog burying a bone.
© 24hourcampfire