Home
Posted By: rahtreelimbs Sears Ammo??? - 02/16/13
I was at a gunshop today that I haven't been at in quite a while since it is a fair distance from my home. Anyway I came across 15 or so boxes of Sears 30.06 150 grain ammo at $10.99 a box.

I am 50 years old and cannot remember Sears ever selling guns or ammo. Can anyone give some clue as to how old this ammo might be???
Posted By: conrad101st Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/16/13
Sears sold lots & lots of guns! Don't remember sears brand ammo though.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/16/13
What? I use to drool over the guns in a Sears catalog and at the store as a kid and I'm younger than you.

Don't know who made their ammo, Herters maybe.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/16/13
It might have been Winchester-made on contract. They sold guns under the Ted Williams logo for years and as J.C Higgins before that.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/16/13
Sears sold guns and ammo all the way up to the early 80's. I remember buying Sears "Ted Williams" shotgun shells in the late 70's and at that time they were obviously manufactured by Federal for Sears.
Posted By: rahtreelimbs Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/16/13
This had to be one of the widest things I have come across. All the boxes were pristine too!

A coworker and I have been hitting a lot of gunshops lately to help ease the dead winter doldrums.......amazing what you find!!!
Posted By: poboy Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/16/13
Off Topic but my Marlin Model 60 is stamped "Western Auto", if anybody remembers that store.
Posted By: Kodiakisland Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/16/13
Sears, JC Penny, Western Auto, lots of stores sold guns back in the day. I'm in my 40's and I can remember seeing them in the stores when I was a kid.
Posted By: djs Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/16/13
I recall going into Sears stores in the 1950's and drooling over the JC Higgins 30-06 and 270 rifles made by FN in Belgium. Both Sears and Wards sold their own brand of ammo, Sears under the name JC Higgins and Wards under the Hawthorn brand. I think Federal made the Hawthorn ammo
Posted By: T LEE Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/16/13
Could be less than 30 years old but not much.
Posted By: NathanL Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/16/13
Originally Posted by poboy
Off Topic but my Marlin Model 60 is stamped "Western Auto", if anybody remembers that store.

Sears bought Western Auto then sold it again right before the name disappeared.

Montgomery Ward used to sell a lot of firearms as well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: djs Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/16/13

Of course I remember Western Auto stores; I still have a set of metric open end wrenches with the Western Auto name forged into them.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/16/13
Sears sold guns and ammo in 1980's.
The rifle came from my Grandad about 1965. It is a shooter.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/16/13
Originally Posted by djs

Of course I remember Western Auto stores; I still have a set of metric open end wrenches with the Western Auto name forged into them.
Western auto had their own line of guns sold as the "Revelation" brand.
Posted By: WyColoCowboy Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/16/13
Sears centerfire ammo was all made by Winchester. They stopped around 1980. They are collectible if old enough. Post a pic!
Posted By: ColdBore Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/16/13
..."Western Auto", if anybody remembers that store.

When I was about 14 years old, I was hunting with a friend my age, and another guy a little bit older. We were in a dove field, and having typical success on doves (i.e. lots of empty shells, not so many dead doves blush ).

We had about run out of ammo, so said something to the older guy, who had driven us out there. He said "Go up to the car and get some more".

Um... OK. crazy We looked at each other and headed for the car. I can't remember exactly how we decided, but I drove into the nearest small town, about 10 miles away, and he drove back. We knew there was a Western Auto parts store there where we could buy more ammo.

When we pulled back in to the field an hour or so later, our older buddy was flipping out! "Where were you??"

"Uh, we went to get more ammo, like you said. Want some? We got you a box..."

Turns out there were a few boxes in the trunk!

Underage driving, with guns in the car, buying ammo at 14 years old with no questions .... aaahhh times were better back then... laugh
Posted By: Mr_Saw Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/16/13
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by djs

Western auto had their own line of guns sold as the "Revelation" brand.

I've got a Western Auto chainsaw.
Posted By: wyote Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/16/13
I still have a few 12 gauge shotguns shells from Sears.

My first 22 rifle was ordered from a Sears catalog. It was a Winchester bolt action single shot.

I bought my first shotgun from Western Auto. I was putting in the sewer line to a new lagoon when I was 17 years old. In Aug I took a pay check into Western Auto and bought a new 20 gauge Remington 1100. I didn't even have to have my parents permission back then, much less the governments permission!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, I forgot it is also stamped "Revelation".
Posted By: jnyork Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/17/13
I still have a full brick of Montgomery Wards .22 long rifle ammo tucked away.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/17/13
a bit amazing to find pristine boxes right now, 20 years or so later.

But I went through a LOT of Sears marked ammo over my youth. Was lucky that I used to shoot up a brick or two every weekend with my glenfield 22.

And come dove season ran a LOT of 20 and 12 from sears.

I bet I could go to my cousins house now and find Sears ammo, a number of boxes as his dad bought him a couple of guns and as I recall basically a case of ammo for the 3030 and same for 22 and 20 ga and he's rarely shot em....
Posted By: rahtreelimbs Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/17/13
Originally Posted by ColdBore
..."Western Auto", if anybody remembers that store.

When I was about 14 years old, I was hunting with a friend my age, and another guy a little bit older. We were in a dove field, and having typical success on doves (i.e. lots of empty shells, not so many dead doves blush ).

We had about run out of ammo, so said something to the older guy, who had driven us out there. He said "Go up to the car and get some more".

Um... OK. crazy We looked at each other and headed for the car. I can't remember exactly how we decided, but I drove into the nearest small town, about 10 miles away, and he drove back. We knew there was a Western Auto parts store there where we could buy more ammo.

When we pulled back in to the field an hour or so later, our older buddy was flipping out! "Where were you??"

"Uh, we went to get more ammo, like you said. Want some? We got you a box..."

Turns out there were a few boxes in the trunk!

Underage driving, with guns in the car, buying ammo at 14 years old with no questions .... aaahhh times were better back then... laugh

Gary........you remember the Western Auto on McKnight Rd.???

There is a West Marine there now!!!
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/17/13
I have 5 boxes of Sears 30-06 ammo. Sears headstamp, Sears boxes, looks to be Winchester 180 power point, but not sure-

I bought it from the Sears store in Bremertom , Wa. when they closed out the guns and ammo.
Posted By: nash22 Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/17/13
I have an old 22 marked Western Field, I think it was sold by Western Auto.

nash
Posted By: WyColoCowboy Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/17/13
I have a Western Field .22LR rifle that I picked up at an auction 15 years ago... Pretty sure that was a Montgomery Wards brand.
Posted By: nash22 Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/17/13
I thought it was one of the 2 stores, wasn't sure which one.

nash
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/17/13
i have a bunch of boxes of montgomery wards ammo in 7x57. Labeled at something like 2bucks a box.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/17/13
I have some brass somewhere around here, that is marked Sears on the rim...some in 243, 30/06 and 30/30...

My Model 700 that I have a 6mm Rem barrel on, was bought in about 1980 at Sears for $319 and it was chambered in 30/06 at the time.

it was a wood stocked ADL...

yeah 30 plus years ago, It is amazing what stuff some stores carried that they don't anymore...

In MN, I use to stock up on shooting ammo, right after deer season, at Target of all places...and then KMart...

I also had some brass stamped with KMart on it around here..
think it was 30/30 brass...

I remember that ammo in 30/30 was less than $5.00 a box after deer season was over... and 06 like a buck or two more...
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/17/13
The boxes are probably collectors items
Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/17/13
My Dad had some Sears ammo in 35 Rem and 06.

Also, who bought ammo at the Holiday gas stations like we did as kids?

Dober
Posted By: doubletap Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/17/13
I have a Sears Win. 101 20 gauge that I bought with a case of Sears shotgun shells. It is stamped with Ted Williams name. It is one of my $200 guns.
Posted By: LouisB Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/17/13
Once upon a time I had a Sears 30-06.

Cheapened blind box magazine model 70 winchester with lower level of fit and finish.

Still shot just fine!
Posted By: 700LH Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/17/13
Have a buncha ammo from the 60's. Several boxes if 308, one a box of Winchester Silvertips, and several boxes of Hornady '06, couple of Remington 41 Mags and a suitcase of paper shot shells, some Federal Lighting 22LR, and more. Reckon I should shoot a bunch of it up before I die and don't get the enjoyment of shooting it.
Posted By: EdM Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/17/13
My chopped J.C. Higgins (High Standard) home protection piece. A $150 pawn shop deal a couple of years ago.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/17/13
Sears and Monkey Wards sold guns and ammo up to the early '80s. Sears started out as J.C. Higgins and ended up as Ted Williams. Monkey Wards was Western Field. J.C. Penny also sold guns and ammo up to the late '70s early '80s. Not sure but IIRC they sold such under the Formost brand. ICBW. Bought my first rifle (Remington 552) in '64 at age 12 with nothing more than cash money over the counter. My first revolver in '68 at 16 with the same. Then a few months later after the GCA of '68 I had to have my Mother by my .22 shells. Your government at work.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/17/13
Those High Standard pumps are sleepers. an excellent gun, but not widely appreciated. Super smooth pump action.

The one thing to watch are the little tabs on the trigger group housing. They can break off, and some of the later ones may be plastic. Of course parts availability is always an issue with obsolete guns.

As for the ammo, as others have said, it might have some collector value.

Paul
Posted By: WranglerJohn Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/17/13
My wife and her mother used to buy bricks of Sears brand .22LR ammo so my wife could practice target shooting with her Colt Woodsman Match Target. In fact I still have some of those boxes salted away somewhere just for memories. That was back in the 1970's. I think the record keeping as a result of the 1968 Gun Control Act did away with most department store sales. I remember buying a Remington 40X rifle from the GEMCO store in California for $264 in early 1970's. Cash and carry then.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/17/13
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
My Dad had some Sears ammo in 35 Rem and 06.

Also, who bought ammo at the Holiday gas stations like we did as kids?

Dober

For sure,

in many of those small towns in Northern Wisconsin and Northern MN, Holiday was the most reliable place in town to grab ammo at.. especially for the guys who got 'up north' to hunt, only to find out they left their ammo back home...

gas up the truck and pick up an extra box of ammo... "just in case"....

for any of the MN guys, is Toby's in Hinckley still selling the best Sticky Buns or Cinnamon buns in the Upper Midwest?

That was another 'heading up north' tradition in MN.. with everyone wearing blaze orange everywhere but the waitresses?
Posted By: smarquez Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/17/13
I have a '06 Ted Wiliams in the safe. My wifes uncle bought it to try hunting with her family and probably doesn't have more than 100 rounds through it. Model 70 with hinged floor plate and basic birch stained stock with rolled checkering. It shoots fairly well but I haven't spent a lot of time with it.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/17/13
Back in the '60's, I bought a Sears brand .22LR bolt action. I still have it and it's a great gun. 20 years later I bought my son a used Marlin bolt action 22. All the parts between the 2 are completely interchangeable. The only difference is the Marlin has prettier wood.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/17/13
Found out who JC Higgins was the other day. He was an accountant for Sears,Robuck and co. Had absolutely nothing to do with sporting goods!!!! Wasn't even a hunter/shooter. Go figure!

Best friends mom work for Sears. And all the ammo she would bring home to us was FC head stamp. Federal.

What was the model numbers on those JC Higgins FN actioned Mauser sporters? Model 50 or 53??? Still see a few come thru the shop.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/17/13
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
I was at a gunshop today that I haven't been at in quite a while since it is a fair distance from my home. Anyway I came across 15 or so boxes of Sears 30.06 150 grain ammo at $10.99 a box.

I am 50 years old and cannot remember Sears ever selling guns or ammo. Can anyone give some clue as to how old this ammo might be???
I believe they used to sell guns with their own brand name. I'm pretty sure one used to be in our family: a single-shot, break open, shotgun in 16 gauge.
Posted By: Bootsfishing Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/17/13
I still have a box of ted williams 4 10 shells.
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/17/13

I'd buy it. The manuf date is on one of the short inside box flaps.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/17/13

Oh hell yeah,...Sears was one of the major gun buying locations back in Paducah.

My 20 gauge single came from there.

I have a model 94 Winchester from Sears now. They called it a Ted Williams Model 100.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: rahtreelimbs Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/18/13
I wonder if Sears will be with us in ten years???
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/18/13
I had a Western Flyer bicycle when I was a kid, I went to town with Dad and we picked it out of the dozen or so in the Western Auto store on Main Street. I think it was an AMF, but no matter, it held up pretty well on the gravel roads with balloon tires and a soft saddle.

My old Glenfield .22 (M60) is marked Coast-to-Coast M40, yet another hardware store chain from that time frame. Everyone had a "brand name" line of firearms and ammo, even C-to-C.
Posted By: ROMAC Re: Sears Ammo??? - 02/18/13
Sears sold all kinds of ammo, here are some shotgun shells I've picked up over the years. Kinda look like winchester Super X's to me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire