Home
Posted By: ConradCA Why isn't 22lr available? - 03/05/13
I have found almost all centerfire pistol and rifle cartridges, just almost no 22lr. I really don't understand why 22lr is the hardest cartridge to find. Could it be that the manufacturers are using the resources that were making 22lr to make other ammo that has higher profitability?
Posted By: TomT Re: Why isn't 22lr available? - 03/05/13
IMHO, a combination of factors.

With all the insane leftist gun grabbing agenda, people are stocking up. Here in NY, IF this so called "SAFE" act sticks, we are going to get a NICs background check every time we want to buy a box of .22's. F-that! I don't blame anyone that buys a lifetimes worth.

There are many that are buying large quantities to flip for a profit, and while some have problems with that, I just consider it Capitalism. If the price is ridiculous, don't buy it! Let them be stuck with it.

You can't, well some might be able to, reload rim fire ammo, so that's a 3rd reason.

I was at my local gun shop this past weekend as a friend was picking up a Henry 22 lever for his teenage son, and I was surprised how well stocked the store was. I've avoided gun shops since Sandy Hook, as I figured (mostly from reading here) that they would be crowded/stripped bare. That wasn't the case, but the owner did tell me he had one customer that offered to buy "all your ammo". The owner said the guy offered around $40k, but the owner said no. Didn't ask more questions. I just grabbed 4 x 50 round boxes of Remington Thunderbolt 22lr, a box of 1000 Remington small pistol primers (he had plenty of primers but little powder).

Hopefully this insanity will pass, but the Libretards are certainly trying to disarm the regular folks. -TomT
Posted By: Boococky Re: Why isn't 22lr available? - 03/05/13
-More .22s than any other caliber around

-Can't reload .22s

-Trying to make a profit

-In most places(not including places like Tom just mentioned) people are stupid and act like .22 will never be available again

-its usually the cheapest ammo and therefore the easiest to stock up on

Thats a few reasons, but who really knows? IMHO, it will be fall, maybe even Christmas, before we see ammo back available like it was before. Notice I said available, who knows if prices will ever come back
It's the doomsday preppers I tell ya.

Buying up alla the plinkins..... Crazy sumbishes.

A cousin in Virginia called me the other day, and said he has been totally out of .22 LR for several months. He can't find any, at any price.
I sent him two 525 count boxes of Remington HP to hold him over until things get better.
F Dicks in Jax had 100 count boxs of Winchester .22 LR priced at 11.95 a box. Ridiculous.
There seems to be not a single.22 cartridge available for sale in my town, or in any of the towns around me.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Why isn't 22lr available? - 03/05/13
Originally Posted by Boococky
-More .22s than any other caliber around

-Can't reload .22s

-Trying to make a profit

-In most places(not including places like Tom just mentioned) people are stupid and act like .22 will never be available again

-its usually the cheapest ammo and therefore the easiest to stock up on

Thats a few reasons, but who really knows? IMHO, it will be fall, maybe even Christmas, before we see ammo back available like it was before. Notice I said available, who knows if prices will ever come back

^^^^^^^^^
These are some of the biggest reasons I'd think too. More .22 rf guns out there than anything else. Plus they are ~realtively~ cheap and folks can buy em up without breaking the bank. I have yet to buy any ammo during this panic driven fiasco....
I saw a case of Federal .22 LR(5250 rounds), sell on Gun Broker yesterday for $955. In December I paid $170 for the same case. It's insane....
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Why isn't 22lr available? - 03/05/13
I saw a Federal case of 3250 sell for $400 when it was priced at $148 thru a well known catalog company.
Wow.
At some point, it temps me to become a GB gouger.
I could build a nice rifle. grin
Posted By: Raeford Re: Why isn't 22lr available? - 03/05/13
My main supplier of all things hunting/shooting has 100ct boxes at $13 on his shelves. Yesterday my son went by and saw them and asked the owner[family friend] who promptly pulled a brick of Blazer out from under the counter.
$50
My friend up the road has a small gun shop and hasn't been able to get .22rf for months. I took him 25 bricks last Monday morning. They were gone by the afternoon.
Posted By: Roundup Re: Why isn't 22lr available? - 03/05/13
Also: Sage Rat season is almost upon us!
Posted By: 1minute Re: Why isn't 22lr available? - 03/05/13
I've not been shopping, but have heard rumors of $50 per brick for LR's. Near 3X the pre-panic price. When I get out squirreling this spring, I'm moving in close and will not miss.
Posted By: Oakster Re: Why isn't 22lr available? - 03/05/13
Cant reload .22 ammo, so everone is stocking up like crazy. Rimfire ammo is almost an item of currency now. You can buy just about anything with .22 shells.
Posted By: Boococky Re: Why isn't 22lr available? - 03/05/13
Originally Posted by Oakster
Cant reload .22 ammo, so everone is stocking up like crazy. Rimfire ammo is almost an item of currency now. You can buy just about anything with .22 shells.

true, ive even seen people trading centerfire ammo and guns for .22LR

Its available around here.....any gun shop has it, and armslist has it.....but you will pay dearly for it
Posted By: Plab Re: Why isn't 22lr available? - 03/05/13
Do you remember when coca-cola said it was gonna stop making coke ?
they changed the recipe they came out with "new coke" they made a fortune on it after that ..now we have coke classic . I think the ammo companies are holding back to drive up their profits... why not ! the oil companies do !!
go ahead buy up all you can .

plab
Posted By: NathanL Re: Why isn't 22lr available? - 03/05/13
Simple supply and demand. Askt he retailers and distributors and they will tell you they are selling more .22lr than ever before. It just doesn't stay on the shelf long enough for people to see it.

So just because every time you go in and it's not there doesn't mean a ton of it didn't sell while you weren't there.
Originally Posted by Raeford
My main supplier of all things hunting/shooting has 100ct boxes at $13 on his shelves. Yesterday my son went by and saw them and asked the owner[family friend] who promptly pulled a brick of Blazer out from under the counter.
$50

A $16 dollar brick of ammo for $50 from a "friend". Ouch. grin
A buddy in Washington said his local store wanted $26.00 per 50 round box of .22LR

My Coast to Coast has 22 Short for $5.00 a box, and 7 Mauser for $30.00 maybe I should go buy it.

I could see .22lr, but .22 Mag??
Can't find them anywhere around here and not as popular as .22 lr.
.22 of any flavor is scarce as hen's teeth here.
I blame jeffo.
I remember about five or six years ago, when a buddy of mine was thinking about buying gold and silver. I told him then, F that, buy LEAD, buy all the .22 LR you can find. Danged near everyone has a .22, and they will all need ammo at some point.

If he'd listened to me, he could have quadrupled his money this last couple of months.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Why isn't 22lr available? - 03/05/13
Greed + Stupidity
I think that everyone has realized that the govt wants to kill all the fun, all the self-defense, and all the self-sufficiency.

A .22LR is about the most useful thing in all of those categories. I'm glad it's selling like crazy--maybe the citizens are awaking.
With 5k of 22lr going for a $1000 I might have to sell some. I hate to sell but damn.

Dink
Posted By: blanket Re: Why isn't 22lr available? - 03/05/13
Buy a good air rifle and a bunch of pellets to get yourself thru this horse crap panic if you are worried about your stash
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Why isn't 22lr available? - 03/05/13
Local gun shop got a couple cases in at 3pm today. Sold them for $10/100. Limit was 200 per customer. They were gone by 4pm.

I scored 400 of them, with a little "help".

Supposedly they are getting more in tomorrow......
Posted By: jbmi Re: Why isn't 22lr available? - 03/05/13
OK, seriously, how much could I get for this unopened container of 1600 CCI 22lr?
[Linked Image]
They were selling at Wal-Mart for as low as $89 at one point. I believe it is 1600ct.

Sky is the limit now. Lots of dumba$$es with more $ than brains out there.......
Originally Posted by jbmi
OK, seriously, how much could I get for this unopened container of 1600 CCI 22lr?
[Linked Image]

I just watched a 500 round brick of blazers go off GB for $101.00 + $20.00 UPS.

I schit you not.......
Posted By: amax155 Re: Why isn't 22lr available? - 03/05/13
We had a silent auction at our church to raise money. I donated some 100rd boxes of CCI Mini mags and they went for 30 bucks a box.
God, I'd love to have that box of 1600 mini-mags. That is what my target rifle likes best. I seem to have little problem finding .22LR ammo, but can't find those in particular. I'm down to like 140 of them......
I don't care. I am still going to Backwoods Magazines Appleseed event this year, and I may go kill some squeekers too.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Why isn't 22lr available? - 03/06/13
a friend of mine bought an awful large supply of ammo of all kinds last summer anticipating the election.
He has been in tall cotton the last couple of months.
Last week he had an ad on backpage for .22lr. He recieved a lot of contacts for people wanting it. The surprising part was two calls from california, one from san diego and grass valley, both willing to drive overnight with cash to buy the stuff. That is a 600mile round trip from where he lives.
Try in some cases 70 to 100dollars a brick.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Why isn't 22lr available? - 03/06/13
The local shop is getting more in any time now. 6 deliveries today he said.

Surprisingly, they have a TON of primers in stock of all flavors. Must have just got a shipment......
im sitting on 7500 rounds of .22lr right now

i go up to sango walmart in clarksville every morning at 430 am
and stand in line with 8 other guys on mon wens fri
(this morning one of the guys that owns a local gunshop brought in sausage and bacon bisquits, i ate 5 of em and had a sunny d to start my day)

i get 2-3 100 rd boxes of cci mini mag and 5-6 boxes or a brick of 50 round boxes of what ever they stock and have available
sometimes it is hit and miss
never know what is gonna show for brands and calibers
we are working on the clerks slowly and gaining their trust to give more insider info about it all

other guys buy mostly 9mm and the 5.56 and 7.62x39 that occasionally is stocked that stuff mostly is sold in cases
it has gotten to the point that the clerk guy wont even break down a case for sale as individual boxes
why should he by the time we are done buying in 15 minutes time
(except for p.o.s. .270 ammo)
the ammo is all gone

it has become sorta a social event for us

3 of the guys own local gunshops
and chuckle about the profit they make

those 3 also take turns bringing stuff in for all of us to eat while in line and it is sort of a bribe for the rest of us to keep our mouths shut about it all

im just doing it to piss slumlord off
cause he dont show up till around 7-730ish when all the ammo cabinets are empty and we are all long gone

i can picture him scratching his head looking for something and seeing nothing

priceless.......................................... laugh

some day i will tell him i got some .22 for sale

hahahahahahaaa!!!!!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Why isn't 22lr available? - 03/06/13
A right jolly good fellow.
hey renegade tell slummy i'm the dude that's hoarding all the .223 laugh
Posted By: Boococky Re: Why isn't 22lr available? - 03/06/13
laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Boococky Re: Why isn't 22lr available? - 03/06/13
I can see slummy out on the corner with a cardboard sign "handjobs for .22" laugh laugh
Posted By: slumlord Re: Why isn't 22lr available? - 03/06/13
funny

it was your ole lady giving me the handjob while yall up in line at 5:30

that's worth going into the Death Star two hours early

the same hands that have kneeding your biscuit dough for you and all your other gunshop carpetbaggers cheesewads
i heard the mennoites in guthrie had one of their assembled yard sheds
full of .22lr and .223 to the roof
waiting on prices to nudge up a little higher before they sell to all us heathens

they are gonna have a big ammo sale
at some fancy hotel in the near future i think

laugh
© 24hourcampfire