Home
Posted By: phil223 Flying flags upside down in Ok - 05/18/13
I've noticed a lot of flags turned over in Norman Ok today. Looks like people are starting to get fed up with our goverment.
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2013/05/16/Eagles-Player-Pees-On-IRS-Sign
Originally Posted by phil223
I've noticed a lot of flags turned over in Norman Ok today. Looks like people are starting to get fed up with our goverment.

Should be a hanging offence. If flag burning is disrespectful so should hanging the national flag upside down. Pretty simple really
I was under the impression that when the US flag was flown upside down, it was a sign of distress or all is not well . . .
hmmm I thought flag upside down was a symbol of distress?

how does that equate to burning it?
I rather they not hang the flag upside down! The flag does not equate to the scum in the White House it is a symbol of freedom and America. I would rather they find a different symbolic meaning to disagree with the corruption of this administration.
It is a symbol of distress. It does not equate to burning it. but I don't think it's being done appropriately here. I agree that they should find another means to convey their attitude towards the corruption and agenda that has become our government.
Sometimes folks are so busy getting educated....they over-look certain matters!

http://www.jeffhead.com/liberty/flagdistress.htm
I'd just as soon see a democrat hanging from a flag pole. grin
Originally Posted by BrentD

Should be a hanging offence. If flag burning is disrespectful so should hanging the national flag upside down. Pretty simple really

still the quintessential moron I see....you libtards just don't get it....pinche hoto

The only thing simple about your statement is the mind it came from. Some folks are educated far beyond their true intelligence.
If a liberal wants to know the difference between burning the national ensign and flying it upside down, just try doing it in my presence and see what happens.
I could see this idea catching. A lot of folks are concerned about the direction we are going. A silent protest. This is NOT burning a flag, this is telling Americans we are heading for trouble in their opinion. Two different issues. kwg
Posted By: byc Re: Flying flags upside down in Ok - 05/18/13
TRH stated this whole damed thing.
I didn't equate it with burning but don't think we are there yet. I rather just fly an Impeach Obama flag or something. I believe at this rate the upside down of "Old Glory" will be needed but not as much as able body citizens to take this country back from this government!
Every flag in every Red State should be upside down and at half mast until oberry is out of office.
Posted By: LBP Re: Flying flags upside down in Ok - 05/18/13
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Every flag in every Red State should be upside down and at half mast until oberry is out of office.

+1

It's more normal now than disrespectful. Liberals made it so.

Originally Posted by LBP

+1

Plus about a gazillion!

I firmly feel this should become the symbol of all concerned loyal Americans and a sign of protest.

A movement to do so all across the nation might get the attention of the Zero, who only hears about things on the news. smirk
[Linked Image]
I think the conservatives of this country should stop spending so much time being "respectful", and start saying what needs to be said. If that means flying the flag upside down, then so be it.

except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

Flat out communists stealing elections, international gun smuggling as a back door attack on BoR, regulatory agencies attacking those who exercise their rights clearly desiring rights be removed, inviting foreign nationals paying them to come then allow move about freely within borders behaving in complete disregard for laws enforced on Americans who belong here, abandon Americans to die on US soil, both here and abroad, at the hands of terrorists and foreign insurgent criminal organizations, and all the while blowing smoke up our arses telling all is A-Okay through their propaganda machine sounds like the next best thing to a shooting war to me.

Under the quoted from US code description above, yeah, it qualifies.

IN SPADES!

Flying the US flag upside down is no different to me than flying the good old don't tread on me flag. Very appropriate IMO.

One is a statement of fact.
The other is a warning.
I take both very seriously and agree whole heartedly.

If the commie [bleep] junkies do'nt like it, they can look the other way, but they better know this...
I"m watching them.

Originally Posted by fburgtx
I think the conservatives of this country should stop spending so much time being "respectful", and start saying what needs to be said. If that means flying the flag upside down, then so be it.

Yep.
There's nothing disrepsectful about doing what's right.

Respecting enemies.
Who dreams this chit up?

They don't respect you.
If they did they wouldn't be your enemies.

Enemies to our free country respect only one thing: force.

Nothing wrong with defending what is right and what is yours.

If ya haven't the courage to defend, and use force doing it, you don't deserve what you have.

I say our enemies are biting off more than they can chew.
What say you?
Originally Posted by fburgtx

Amen to that! Preach it brother!
Respectfully take down and fold the Stars and Stripes and run up the Gadsden flag.
Enough of those flying will send the message and not offend any one.

Jim
Ribbons on trees, signs in yards, flags flying upside down, all mean not but I guess they give people the feeling of doing something.

Originally Posted by tpcollins
I was under the impression that when the US flag was flown upside down, it was a sign of distress or all is not well . . .
Of course it is.
Originally Posted by byc
TRH started this whole damned thing.
I was just following Terry's (T Lee's) example. He did it first.

yea, for the simple minded.
Originally Posted by eyeball

yea, for the simple minded.

Yea. I mean......When the POTUS promotes schitting on cop cars and people's front porches, we're really not above anything at this point.

If only we'd had shoes!!
Originally Posted by watch4bear
I'd just as soon see a democrat hanging from a flag pole. grin

I have a few candidates to nominate, in case you are taking applications...
Many people have died for this flag. Disrespect it and you disrespect them. Anyone who disagrees can leave the country at will. God Bless and Semper Fi.
Originally Posted by bartman
Many people have died for this flag. Disrespect it and you disrespect them. Anyone who disagrees can leave the country at will. God Bless and Semper Fi.

I disagree, and I'm humbly in a position to know a thing or two about the subject.

Those men and women died for an ideal, not a piece of cloth. The cloth upside down is a sign of duress, and these are times of great duress.

What they fought and died for was rather this, said best and forever by Lincoln...

"But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."
A fine speach by Lincoln, no doubt. However, I find it curiously hypocritical of him to state that "a government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth." He was then the C-in-C of the largest military force ever assembled in the western hemisphere whose declared sole purpose was to deny that exact same right of self govenment he described to his former contrymen. Kinda like back when Obummer was campaigning for his first term when he stated that America was the greatest nation on earth, then asked for support so he could fundamentally change it. People for the most part seem to hear the tone of the words spoken and are impressed by that, but seldom do they seem to actually listen to what is being said.
either he or whomever his speech writer was, were certainly eloquent

that's the part that bugs me the most about what I see happening to our country. Sooo many good men have died to preserve our freedoms and we're just watching them get watered down further and further.

taking or limiting our rights and freedoms is NOT progress, no matter what progressives say
Except not.

Lincoln's position was that, having been joined into the Union, no individual state, or group of states, could constitutionally succeed from the Union without a majority vote of the other states, which none of the Southern States could muster.

And, leaving the Union so you could continue to own other people and treat them as property was at best morally reprehensible, and at least a good reason to get your asses handed to you.
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Except not.

And, leaving the Union so you could continue to own other people and treat them as property was at best morally reprehensible, and at least a good reason to get your asses handed to you.

The problem with that premise is a unamamus resolution passed by the U.S. Congress in 1861 stating that the sole purpose of the war was for the preservation of the union and no other reason. That combined with the proposed constitutional amendment by Lincoln himself that would have guaranteed the continuation and protection of slavery in the U.S. where it was then allowed forever if the seceeding states would return. Additionally, if this was some great moral crusade against slavery, why did Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation of 1863, two years into the war, not apply to the slave owning states of Missouri, Kentucky, Maryland, Delaware, the newly (and illegally) formed state of West Virginia, and to several southern parishes of Louisiana? In the case of Louisiana, could it possibly have had anything to do with the then occupying federal army running the sugar cane and cotton plantations located there with slave labor? Contrary to what you may want to think, I am not defending slavery, but I do think it best to tell the whole truth. How about doing a bit of research into how the great Yankee righteous crusaders robbed, murdered, raped, and destroyed the homes of southern civilians, both black and white, supporters of the union and seccessionists alike. How many free blacks were murdered in the draft riots in New York City, including an orphanage for black children that were burned alive? Why was it illegal for a free black to settle in Lincoln's own home state of Illinois, to say nothing of having voting rights? The simple facts are that the great majority of northerners did not give a rats ass about blacks. The war was fought over political power and taxation. Political power to levy huge taxes by a majority over a minority section of the nation (the southern states). Do a bit of research concerning taxes levied by a northern political majority exclusively on southern produced export products while none on northern produced products. Just before the most of the southern states attempted to leave, they were producing about 70% of the total revenues to the federal government and virtually none of the tax revenues were being spent on any public projects in the south. At the time this nation had only some 84 years before declared its independence and fought a terrible struggle for it for far less good reasons than the south had. The war was a tradgety of epic proportions, but certainly not a struggle of the all righteous aginst the evil heathens. Former Confederate President Jefferson Davis in his latter years is quoted as lamenting that the issues for which the south struggled have not been settled and the issues will once again in the future need to be addressed. Obviously, he was not referring to slavery.
Mr Walter the ideal is represented by the flag, perhaps you could go over the fine points of Lincoln's administration and narratives in Libya or Burma.
..............,having been joined into the Union, no individual state, or group of states, could constitutionally succeed from the Union without a majority vote of the other states, .............

Where did the Constitution mandate that?
Originally Posted by Henryseale
A fine speach by Lincoln, no doubt. However, I find it curiously hypocritical of him to state that "a government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth." He was then the C-in-C of the largest military force ever assembled in the western hemisphere whose declared sole purpose was to deny that exact same right of self govenment he described to his former contrymen. Kinda like back when Obummer was campaigning for his first term when he stated that America was the greatest nation on earth, then asked for support so he could fundamentally change it. People for the most part seem to hear the tone of the words spoken and are impressed by that, but seldom do they seem to actually listen to what is being said.
Well said.
Originally Posted by pira114
..............,having been joined into the Union, no individual state, or group of states, could constitutionally succeed from the Union without a majority vote of the other states, .............

Of course it did not.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by pira114

Of course it did not.

Where does it allow succession, or state the procedures for succession?

Where does it allow succession, or state the procedures for succession?
You've got it backwards. The Federal Government is presumed to have been intentionally denied any powers not delegated to it by the states in the text of the US Constitution. Any powers not delegated to it, therefore, have been reserved by the states to themselves as part of their original sovereign power.

In case at some point in the future the above principle might become unclear to anyone, the Founders insisted that one of the ten articles of the Bill of Rights laid it out in no uncertain terms, i.e., the Tenth Amendment. Read it.

Therefore, since the States never delegated away the sovereign power of self-determination, they retain said power, which they only held in dormancy for as long as the Federal Government continued to exercise its delegated powers "in such a form as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness."

They had just fought a long and arduous war with England over this very principle, i.e., the right of secession. Therefore it's the height of absurdity to suggest they would immediately thereafter engage in a pact with a newly established central power which denied that very principle.
Mr Walter the ideal is represented by the flag, perhaps you could go over the fine points of Lincoln's administration and narratives in Libya or Burma.

Junior Bartman,

I know nothing about your history or your service, or lack thereof. However, I have earned my right to comment the hard way. Perhaps you should do the same?

Henryseale and Hawkeye,

Both of your arguments are valid and eloquent.

I do not believe the Constitution restricts the sovereign powers of the states to succeed. I said Lincoln did.

I also never tied Lincoln's actions to any belief on his part about, or because of, slavery. I stated my own belief that owning another human was and remains an abhorrent practice, worthy of fighting a war over.
Henryseale and Hawkeye,

Both of your arguments are valid and eloquent.

I do not believe the Constitution restricts the sovereign powers of the states to succeed. I said Lincoln did.

I also never tied Lincoln's actions to any belief on his part about, or because of, slavery. I stated my own belief that owning another human was and remains an abhorrent practice, worthy of fighting a war over.
There are many nations today that retain the practice of human chattel. Should we declare war on all these nations?
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Originally Posted by LBP

+1

Plus about a gazillion!

Then add another 10000000000000000 gazillion. mad

Gunner
Posted By: pal Re: Flying flags upside down in Ok - 05/19/13
"...As a result of the many traitors and enemies we as a free people have, both foreign and domestic,..."

We have never had so many domestic enemies prior to 0 and his supporters.
Just me, but the way I interpret the American flag flying upside down is symbolic of a wrong that needs to be righted.

I don't find it offensive or disrespectful.
Originally Posted by fish head
Just me, but the way I interpret the American flag flying upside down is symbolic of a wrong that needs to be righted.

Same here FH, a definate cleansing needs to happen at 1600 Pa av.

Gunner
There are many nations today that retain the practice of human chattel. Should we declare war on all these nations?

No.

But I think it should not be tolerated in our country.

This is just political theatrics.

If I fly the flag upside down, It's a signal for all my friends with guns to come immediately because I'm in some deep [bleep], at the location where the flag is flown.

Correct, it's also like flying a double 'fook you' to the politico trash.

Gunner
I get that, like I said, theater.

Too many good people died fighting under that flag for me to cheapen it like that.

Others will have differing opinions.

No.

It was already on the verge of disappearing in the US, and had been common practice throughout the world for the vast majority of human history. The war wasn't worth the terrible consequences. Growing organized social opposition would have soon been rid of it anyway.
Originally Posted by pal
"...As a result of the many traitors and enemies we as a free people have, both foreign and domestic,..."

We have never had so many domestic enemies prior to 0 and his supporters.

They've been there and increasing in numbers over the years. What obama did was empower them. And we'll never get it all back.
Originally Posted by fish head

Just to be fair I can see where flying the American flag upside down would be entirely inappropriate. At a military base, a govt installation or anywhere the flag is a symbol of the USA. Having to salute an upside down flag is unthinkable.

With that said though a private citizen displaying the message of a wrong that's needs to righted is still OK by me.
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
This is just political theatrics.

If I fly the flag upside down, It's a signal for all my friends with guns to come immediately because I'm in some deep [bleep], at the location where the flag is flown.

Agreed
Junior David Walter,

Your feeling the need for entitlement is unwarranted, you have not "earned" any special merit the hard way or not. The post stands. Fly it right side up or leave. Now where would you like me to get you a ticket too?
Junior Bartman,

Entitlement is different than earning. I earned mine, and earn mine every day, still.

So, please don't lecture me about your accomplishments in the military. BTDT and have the campaign medals.

What part of freedom of expression are you unfamiliar with?

I may not agree with flying the flag upside down for political commentary, but it is certainly protected speech.

You can stay.

But you're still wrong.
Junior David Walter

How have you earned the right to freedom of expression? Do you not enjoy this freedom in a place that in your words is under duress? Does the flag represent the current place in which we all enjoy these freedoms.

You can stay Junior but you have been checkmated
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Ribbons on trees, signs in yards, flags flying upside down, all mean not but I guess they give people the feeling of doing something.

Junior David Walter

How have you earned the right to freedom of expression? Do you not enjoy this freedom in a place that in your words is under duress? Does the flag represent the current place in which we all enjoy these freedoms.

You can stay Junior but you have been checkmated

Checkmated? I don't think so.

The right to freedom of expression was won by others, and I enjoy the fruits of their labors and sacrifice. Just as my children, and your children enjoy the fruits of my sacrifice and those of Montana Marine, Jorge, Mannlicher, and a cast of others on this board.

The open question, is what have you done of merit? Anything?

It's my impression that the act of flying the Flag upside down is a Sign of Surrender. I can not remember where I got that tidbit of information.
Junior David Walter

You just lost another piece Junior. If you and I and our children enjoy the freedoms secured by others labor and sacrifice why would you want to disrespect this and their sacrifice with flying a flag upside down?
Junior David Walter

You just lost another piece Junior. If you and I and our children enjoy the freedoms secured by others labor and sacrifice why would you want to disrespect this and their sacrifice with flying a flag upside down?

OK, pay attention to detail here.

I did not say I want to fly the flag upside down.

I do agree that is it protected speech, and asking someone to leave the country because they disagree with you is a far, far greater disrespect of those who shed their blood for the Republic than flying the flag upside down as a sign of duress.

While I unconditionally agree you should reap the benefits of the labors of others regarding free speech, I do not think you should or can dictate how others speak freely.

I'm still unclear on your personal contributions to the greater good of the Republic. While that changes nothing in the argument about free speech, it will at least let me know you believe in your own diatribe enough to back it up, or have backed it up, with your own toil.

Military, red cross, school crossing guard, upstanding church member, police, teacher, firefighter?

Anything that could be construed as self sacrifice?

Absent that, I believe you lack the courage of your "convictions", and discount everything you say in that light.

Junior David Walter

You're losing and you need to stop. It's not a chess game or any kind of game.

Originally Posted by 257heaven
Junior David Walter

You're losing and you need to stop. It's not a chess game or any kind of game.

+1
Is this about the time I say "If you don't hold a DD214, you aint shjit?
DD214 or not, anyone flying the flag upside down for political reasons is a DA. Conservatives should know better.

Originally Posted by W7ACT
It's my impression that the act of flying the Flag upside down is a Sign of Surrender. I can not remember where I got that tidbit of information.

Distress signal.

U.S. Flag Etiquette

and;

Made in America

Phil
[Linked Image]
American Flag Etiquette.

Federal law stipulates many aspects of flag etiquette. The section of law dealing with American Flag etiquette is generally referred to as the Flag Code. Some general guidelines from the Flag Code answer many of the most common questions:

* The flag should be lighted at all times, either by sunlight or by an appropriate light source.
* The flag should be flown in fair weather, unless the flag is designed for inclement weather use.
* The flag should never be dipped to any person or thing. It is flown upside down only as a distress signal.
The idea of flying the flag upside down became popularized by the movie "In the Valley of Elah" starring Tommy Lee Jones. It not's meant nor was it portrayed as symbol of disrespect to America but as signal of distress.

Our country is in distress from a regime that disrespects those that have served and sacrificed their lives for our country. It's about the changes that are occurring to the very freedoms that patriots have died for.

Others may have different ideas but this is how I interpret it.
I see, we want Follywood to teach us how to respect America and the flag.

No.

It was already on the verge of disappearing in the US, and had been common practice throughout the world for the vast majority of human history. The war wasn't worth the terrible consequences. Growing organized social opposition would have soon been rid of it anyway.

Slavery would have become extinct with the industrial age as it would have been cost prohibitive

Originally Posted by Stan V
I see, we want Follywood to teach us how to respect America and the flag.

Is our country in distress?

If you go back in the thread I mentioned a few circumstances, not all, where it would be absolutely inappropriate and abhorrent to fly the flag upside down. In the right situation and under the right context I don't consider it disrespectful or offensive. Believe me when I say, I do have respect for those have served, for our country, and for the American flag.
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
It is flown upside down only as a distress signal.
This.
And it's not a recent Hollywood invention except perhaps for those too young to know better.
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
And it's not a recent Hollywood invention except perhaps for those too young to know better.
Yep.
Well, look at it this way girls. Leftists do enough to damage and demean the country, why should conservatives do the same with the flag?

A distress signal with the flag is used to summon help. Who rushes in to help with an upside down flag cause someone is pizzed?

No.

The civil war wasn't about slavery. If that idiot, John Wilkes Boothe, had not killed Lincoln, Lincoln would likely have sent the whole lot of them back to Africa, as he felt their presence here would cause untold turmoil and trouble. Was he EVER right about that.
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
The civil war wasn't about slavery.
I know it wasn't. It was about preventing the South from seceding from the union. I was answering according to the man's premise, however, i.e., assuming for the sake of argument that it was in fact in some sense about ending slavery, it wasn't worth it for the reasons I stated. In point of fact, however, while slavery was peripherally involved in the events leading to it, it was about the principle of the right of states to secede.

Go on down to Oklahoma and offer to hang some folks, Brent. But give plenty of notice so I can be there to watch.

Expat
Been gone a few days, but if this country isn't in distress now, it never will be.

Those that dont' like the flag upside down evidently don't understand that its not disrespect but a reality IMHO.
My apologies are extended to Mr. David Walters. We had a surly debate going on a bit earlier. When you live long enough and see enough bad in the world it changes your perspective on things a bit. I get a bit sentimental on flag and country. The great joy in life is when the wheels of the big bird touch down or you step across the border and see the flag and know your home and as bad as it may seem it is much better than where you came from.
Nine pages of thread and I'm sure there'll be more. So, for me, I'll just repeat what a friend said at his military retirement, "If seeing Old Glory and hearing the Star Spangled Banner doesn't put a tear in your eye and a lump in your throat, you can pack your azz up and move to Iraq."

Gentleman, I have no doubt you are all Patriots.

Bob
My apologies are extended to Mr. David Walters. We had a surly debate going on a bit earlier. When you live long enough and see enough bad in the world it changes your perspective on things a bit. I get a bit sentimental on flag and country. The great joy in life is when the wheels of the big bird touch down or you step across the border and see the flag and know your home and as bad as it may seem it is much better than where you came from.

Accepted and I apologize as well. The "Junior" thing was a bit immature on my part.
Posted By: RDW Re: Flying flags upside down in Ok - 05/20/13
In general I am not opposed to American citizens hanging the American flag upside down to show distress.

I am opposed to burning the American flag by anyone, especially on our own soil.

I am extremely opposed to c'suckers flying the Mexican flag in this country and that applies to every other flag too, but this is mainly an issue with Mexican's.

I have brought this issue up before but if I worked in another country temporarily, I would not out of respect for that country, fly the American flag.

If I moved to another country, I would fly the flag of that country.
Originally Posted by watch4bear
[Linked Image]
NO

Umbrella challenged dufuss.
Where's the lightning when you need some?!
Spent some time in Japan. I never could tell if their flag was upside down or right side up......
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Spent some time in Japan. I never could tell if their flag was upside down or right side up......

Land of the setting sun?
© 24hourcampfire