Home
Use the link below to get $15 off of your first order of $49 or more.

Again, it is for first time buyers.

Have fun with it!

http://bit.ly/Zvk6oF
Sportsman's Guide! Good outfit that has clothed me for a good many years! There are times when everything that I'm wearing has come from SG, at bargain prices. Got a passel of extra-nice dress shirts there for $5 apiece!

There's a lot of other SG stuff around the house, too.
For sure some great deals on there. If you purchase much, it is well worthwhile to get their "Buyers Club" card. At $29.99, I saved enough on just one order to get more than the cost of the card back.
A couple of cautions, though: they get a lot of merchandise that is old closeout models or stuff from bankrupt companies. I was ready to order a couple of game cameras from them some time ago that claimed a fantastic flash range of 75 feet or so. A little research showed that the manufacturer was out of business, and the cameras had a failure rate of almost 100%.
The other caution is their claim of "military style" on a lot of items, when the item really has no history of being used by any of our forces.
Just shop carefully and have fun saving some bucks.

Myron
Gave up on 'em.

A few years ago they advertised Eisenhower jackets for sale at a good price.

The price was good enough that I didn't expect an original,...which have become collectable,..but I thought that I'd get a decent quality reproduction.

What I got was some type of European military surplus jacket that *definitely* wasn't an Eisenhower jacket or even a cheap replica of one.

No thanks.

Never again.
I recall buying something from him when he first started. Came to the conclusion that he was a crook and never went back.

I just don't remember why.
He stole your memory! shocked
Have got some great deals over the years form tree stands to ammo, but just reading the desriptions can tell you alot about the item...
I live within driving distance of them in South St. Paul. 'Been in there quite a few times. Cheap source for MilSurp ammo if they've got anything in stock in this day and age. Lots of the other stuff is pretty junky. Be careful with the military fatigues they sell. You could end up with product made anywhere on the globe besides the U.S. Most of the off brand scopes they sell are pretty low quality. Buyer beware.
I bought a [bleep] of PMC Scoremaster 22RF from them about 7 years ago for $20.00 a brick. Still have a few boxes left.It was the best investment in 22RF ammo I ever made.

Other than that most of their products look a little cheesy.

Jim
The milsurp stuff that I've bought there � from all over Europe � has been quality � no chintz.
Many moons ago they were selling Remington 416 Rem Mag ammo for $18/box loaded with 400 gr Barnes solids whistle
If 586,000 items come from 586,000 manufacturers, I'd expect some great number of 'em to be chintzy to the nth.

Seems reasonable enough.

So far, haven't gotten any such from Sir Olen. (I'd knock on wood, but that'd make my head hurt.)
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
The milsurp stuff that I've bought there � from all over Europe � has been quality � no chintz.

I bought some mil surplus East German border guard jackboots from him over 20 years ago. They are of typical great German quality and I still get them out and march around in them every once in a while. My experience may not be typical but I've always been very pleased with everything I've bought from him and it has all been of good quality.
All good past experiences with them. Gary Olen even refunded to me the full purchase price of a $1200.00 Gen2 NV weapon site after I enjoyed it for 2 years.

Might of known Bristoe would have issue with them. Gaptoofed assbag.
Just once, I'd like to be trolled by someone who isn't an idiot.
Originally Posted by ColKlink

I bought some mil surplus East German border guard jackboots from him over 20 years ago. They are of typical great German quality and I still get them out and march around in them every once in a while. My experience may not be typical but I've always been very pleased with everything I've bought from him and it has all been of good quality.

I'd have no problem with them if the jacket I bought had been advertised as a "wonky military dress jacket from some wonky European country",..instead of "Eisenhower jacket".
With some folks, one stumble is permanently unforgivable. Beyond eternity.
haven't taken that step yet but they seem to be the only ones with factory 35 rem in 150 grain at a solid/doable price
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by ColKlink

I'd have no problem with them if the jacket I bought had been advertised as a "wonky military dress jacket from some wonky European country",..instead of "Eisenhower jacket".

I understand, I would feel the same way.
Just once, I'd like to be trolled by someone who isn't an idiot.
You opened your fapcatcher on something that didn't concern you,
trying to be 'cutsie' and show your ass. I warned you before: you start set trippin, dat ass was mine.
oh

*shrugg*
Originally Posted by slumlord
you start set trippin, dat ass was mine.

Will somebody who speaks idiot translate this for me?
Just got in two 40mm ammo cans, today. Only the slightest amount of a rust stain on top (like they all get when they've been stacked and the one above gets a little rust on the one below).

The shipping was free and they were $18.00 each. I won't complain about 2 large 40 mm ammo cans, in excellent shape, to my door, for only $36.00.
I have a few times and found the stuff I purchased (winter gloves) to be a poor rip off of Cabela's Guide Gear.

I fikkered a man that uses an AutoZone micrometer to check brake disc tolerances and has his name custom embroidered by Cintas could sort it out.

I'll shortened it for you- STFU

Can't translate, ....only extrapolate that some WEIRD spirits are gathered up around their bars,........inspired by., or like monkeys to fling their dung.
Violent, Heavy Metal, Leather GAY BAR HOMOS, would be my first guess, but WTF knows ?

Maybe it's just DU's serial posters using another one of their compendium identities.

Maybe it's Gus's advance landing party, drifting in from Planet 28.

GTC

GTC

GTC

I think he's wanting some man-love from you B.
I used to buy from them when it was a known product. Like chem lights or fire starters and such.

Problem I have with them is they won't sell gun parts to Ca. Even stuff that isn't regulated. They used to, but now I get an email saying they won't ship it here.

I know, I know..... leave Ca. Believe me, I would if I could. But for a company to just give in to this liberal crap and refuse to sell irks me. So I quit buying from them.
Originally Posted by pira114
I used to buy from them when it was a known product. Like chem lights or fire starters and such.

Problem I have with them is they won't sell gun parts to Ca. Even stuff that isn't regulated. They used to, but now I get an email saying they won't ship it here.

I know, I know..... leave Ca. Believe me, I would if I could. But for a company to just give in to this liberal crap and refuse to sell irks me. So I quit buying from them.
Cali would be a great place were it not for all the idiots out there. I feel for you. Most folks on here that constantly run Cali down don't realize there are probably more good conservatives out there than the populations of their whole states, such as Kansas. It's too bad there are just a majority of freeloaders and tards.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by pira114

Cali would be a great place were it not for all the idiots out there. I feel for you. Most folks on here that constantly run Cali down don't realize there are probably more good conservatives out there than the populations of their whole states, such as Kansas. It's too bad there are just a majority of freeloaders and tards.

So true. The idiots are mostly contained to the larger cities. But like NY, it's the big cities that run the politics.

I don't know why I let SGs policies irk me so much. It's not like I can't get gun parts anywhere else. But I can get the other stuff they sell somewhere else also.
Most of their optics are junk & overall many items are discontinued & obsolete. There are however some good buys if you shop carefully. Several times when I received subpar items there were returned without hassle.
Originally Posted by tbear
Most of their optics are junk & overall many items are discontinued & obsolete. There are however some good buys if you shop carefully. Several times when I received subpar items there were returned without hassle.

A wise opinion, in my opinion.
I buy quite a lot from them. I can't ever say I had a problem with their products or service that wasn't taken care of.

I had a Weaver scope go bad, and two pairs of Rocky boots tear, and they credited my account for the scope, and exchanged the boots free of charge.
Way back when I was single, I actually decided to do a part time job with them, thinking it would be fun to work there and know about all the neat stuff and get discounts of purchasing it for them... this was at a Christmas time thing...

I last 2 days.. I had major issues with their ethics right off the bat...

I've never done business with them, regardless of "how sweet" the deal seems.. and if anyone asks me about them personally, I will tell them the same, I don't recommend them at all...
I have bought from them several times over a period of maybe 20 years? I have even joined their buyers club a couple of times. As I get older I find that in general their stuff interests me less and less. Well priced low to medium quality stuff has lost it's appeal to me.

All that said they do occasionaly have a good deal so I have not written them off completely.
`Back during the Iron Curtain break up I bought a couple pairs of heavy wool pants, E. German I think. Those were, are the best pair of hunting pants I ever owned.
I bought a pair of Chukka boots from them 15 - 18 years ago that I'm, still wearing.
I've got no complaints.

Jim
I've been buying a number items over the past eight or nine years, with no complaints. I do, however, read the descriptions very closely. If an item is described as being "like" something I won't touch it. It has to be an "issued" item in new or used condition.

Bought a couple of scopes from them that were relabeled Redfields and have been quite pleased. Just do a bit of prudent shopping.
When I had a problem with my Rocky Boots their customer service rep told me something very interesting.

She said, that ANYTHING bought thru them was guarenteed for LIFE if you have the original reciept. Whether or not that's true, I don't know because I've never put it to the test. I figure if I've used an item for a prolonged period of time it's normal for things to wear out of break down.
I have bought from Sportsman's Guide for a long time, and still make an order once or twice a year when they send me a free buyer's club limited time membership.

I have never been upset that the East German tube scarves, Dutch parka, or Greek field jacket I received were made in East Germany, Holland, and Greece. I have even gotten used to European (left-handed) zippers.
I am a long-time SG customer.

Normally my experience is great. However, I have one problem with them: their definition of waterproof is rather nebulous.

I tried for years to find a pair of water proof boots to wear during the early part of Turkey Season. Over 8 years and 5 tries, every "100% Waterproof Guaranteed" boot I ordered ended up leaking within the first 300 yards of walking.

Last year, I wrote Gary to ask him:

a) What was his idea of waterproof?
b) If 100% waterproof was not able to take walking through wet grass for 300 yards, was percentage waterproof (150? 200?) did I need and which boots offered that level?

I got a nice email from someone offering to take back the last two pair of boots.

Wading creeks to keep pacing on a compass bearing is several-times-a-day routine for a timber-cruiser. Got used to walking in soaked "corks" in years of cruising timber in Montana and Alaska. Fellow gets used to it � no big deal � just another part of the job.
If this was wading streams, I'd not have mentioned it. This is walking through short wet grass.
Walking with wet feet is walking with wet feet � not a good cause for complaint, once you accept it and get used to it.

Hunted elk long and hard wearing those old 100% rubber "Mickey Mouse" boots in deep snow. They kept the snow water out all right (and my feet warm), but at the end of the day, I poured a lot of sweat out of each boot and wrung some more out of each wool sock.

Walking with wet feet is walking with wet feet � not a good cause for complaint, once you accept it and get used to it.

My sole concern was how well the footwear itself would endure such use. Never wore-out Bergmans or Whites. Tough booties!

For hunting wild boar in sea water, OtOH, I opted for expendable sneakers, which of course didn't last long.

But wet feet? Walking with wet feet is walking with wet feet � not a good cause for complaint, once you accept it and get used to it.
Up until 2001, I would have agreed with you, Ken. In fact, my standard gear for turkey hunting was Vietnam-era jungle boots and cotton hunting socks. This was the same footwear I'd used caving. You knew you were going to get your feet wet, so you were more worried about them draining properly than anything else.

Then I moved my hunting to Kentucky, and Spring Gobbler season started a week or two earlier than Ohio, and my yearly turkey hunting trip got moved from early May to mid April.

If you're up and moving around in 50F, wet feet are not a problem. When your sitting motionless on your duff for 4 hours in 30F, things like wet feet can get to be a problem. It's hard to call when your teeth are chattering.

I finally went to BassPro this past fall and picked up some 400 gram Thinsulate boots and kept the receipt. They stayed dry through Deer Season as well as the first part of Spring Gobbler, until it was warm enough to switch to something lighter.

I see your point.

The best cold-weather footwear that I ever wore hunting were mukluks with thick wool socks in northern Alaska �

� but that was in dry snow, and moisture would've been anathema to 'em.
Going from the house out to my favorite turkey blind is something under 3/4 miles. It's flat. It's mowed. I usually don't have to walk in so much as a puddle.

The worst (and last) boots I ever got from SG promised to be perfect for not only hunting but snow removal. I thought "WOW! These will work." I was swimming within 100 yards. They were rubber part way up, so by the time I got to the blind, I had filled up the boot with water, and there was no way for it to leak out. When I got back, I discovered the bottom of the inner booty was cardboard and had already disssolved.

My favorite pair of SG boots were some Brownings-- leather 12 inchers with 800 grams Thinsulate. They were warm and gave me plenty of support, but over the years I've had them three times to the shoe repair. They used the wrong material and it would not take glue. After a few wearings, the sole would come off.

Remember, I've got a major SG habit, and I've bought probably 20 pairs of shoes from them, when you figure in KYHillChick and 2 sons. I'm just saying they can't be trusted when it comes to their claim of 100% waterproof-- in 12 years, never. Not once.
I've purchased quite a few items from SG. Caveat Emptor is required when buying anything you can't touch or feel. As has been already said, para, 'most stuff has a pretty good description associated with it'. Do diligent research before you hit the buy now button.

Wife and the grandkids get a real kick out of stuff I get at SG.
Two points �

� The outfit that makes the footwear (like any other manufacturer) is responsible for its quality. SG doesn't make any item that it sells.

� All the items that SG sells are surplus or seconds and should be so identified or assumed.

Caveat emptor � don't expect $100 quality for $25.
© 24hourcampfire