Home
Trying to decide between "You only live once" and "don't be an idiot". grin

Never had a hot car, but grew up with a Ford dealership in the family, so I've watched them with envy for 25 years or so. Been a Car & Driver and Motor Trend subscriber since I got a driver's license, but always needed a truck for my job and hobbies. Dad calls this morning and tells me that the local girl who ordered herself a white/black coupe just traded it in on a sedan. This car has 18k miles on it and is immaculate. I think she installed a Borla cat-back at is pushing 430hp.

Will still have my four-door pickup and my mud-tired 4Runner, but am considering getting out of the wife's little SUV with 200k miles. She's game. Cousin is my insurance agent and says rates go up $17 a month. Would need to take along my grade-school age girls to see how they fit and how they like it. I do realize we'd need to use one of the trucks when needing lots of seating or cargo room.

Would not have thought that I'd be contemplating a hot-rod family car this morning, but stranger things have happened. Wife and I are making decent money these days, so I may give it a go, just so I can say I did. The price is right and I figure a test drive can't hurt.....

Here's one just like it.

[Linked Image]

What do you guys think?
If you want it, and can afford it, buy it! That car would be a lot of fun!!
If it's a primary vehicle and a daily driver ...

It will be cool for a while until your grade-school age girls get tired of getting in and out of the back seat of a two door.

You mentioned the four-door pickup and the mud-tired 4Runner but who's going to be driving what on a regular basis?

If you get rid of the SUV ... THE most important question is which vehicle will your wife drive?
A pickup, and a sports car makes the perfect garage, as far as I'm concerned smile

Though I think if I get another one I'd go for a convertible again.
An acquaintance of mine is an electrician. A couple years ago he showed up in a similar Mustang convertible to finish a job for me on a weekend. That 5.0 6spd sounded suhweet coming up the road.

If it works for you, go for it. Like you said-you only live once.
Get it and enjoy the perma-grin!
JPro.

Sounds like fun! It sounds like you can afford it without issue. I think the decision point is whether you can live with the level of practicality it will/will not provide. With that, you have two choices in that it will work for you on a daily basis or you have ample vehicles/funds where this can sit a good portion of the time and it gets used more like a weekend/fun car. If you answer yes to yourself, you probably won't regret the purchase. IMHO and YMMV. smile

I think the Mustang and the Challenger are the two retros that have hit the nail on the head in their recent renditions. In fact, I really like the improvements they have integrated over the last few years

BTW - my "toy" is an 87 Fox body Mustang w/a stroker 5.0 that is pushing similar horsepower - which makes it a LOT more fun that one of the newer stock 5.0 which felt very anemic by comparison.

Best of luck with your decision!

Bob
I've driven several late model Shelby variations and different GT's... They are a hoot. I regret not owning one at this very moment.

Put me in the "do it man!" corner.

Those little Fox-bodies don't weigh anything. That's what I wanted in high school, but it would have been hard to haul dead critters in the back!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Put me in the "do it man!" corner.

I checked, and they didn't have any with cool murals painted on. Would have sealed the deal.....
So glad you brought this up. Wife's Pontiac was getting close to a 150,000 and she was talking new car. She was also talking Toyota a lot which I guess would have been OK, but. Middle of last week I asked her if she could live with Mustang or a Camaro and she said oh yeah. Friday we took a trip to Bass Pro in Springfield Mo. (waste of time). But we stopped at a large Chevy dealership and he showed us a 2013 Mustang with the V 6 & 6 speed auto with an amazing 1600 miles on it. This one is just the base model.

Last week I attended a suicide funeral of a cousin which also made me think that I needed to live life a little more. And like someone said never was a hot rodder, had a 1977 Chevy Silverado with the 454 that was hot for a truck.

We brought the thing home Tuesday and I got to drive it for the first time last night. I don't keep up much on cars and motors and such, But gotta say this six cylinder is the most impressive thing I've ever been in. Can't imagine what a V 8 could do.

So yeah my advise would be to buy if you can swing it. I don't think you'll be sorry.
As long as you pay cash, go for it!
Originally Posted by JPro

Never had a hot car, but grew up with a Ford dealership in the family, so I've watched them with envy for 25 years or so. Been a Car & Driver and Motor Trend subscriber since I got a driver's license, but always needed a truck for my job and hobbies. Dad calls this morning and tells me that the local girl who ordered herself a white/black coupe just traded it in on a sedan. This car has 18k miles on it and is immaculate. I think she installed a Borla cat-back at is pushing 430hp.

Will still have my four-door pickup and my mud-tired 4Runner, but am considering getting out of the wife's little SUV with 200k miles. She's game. Cousin is my insurance agent and says rates go up $17 a month. Would need to take along my grade-school age girls to see how they fit and how they like it. I do realize we'd need to use one of the trucks when needing lots of seating or cargo room.

Would not have thought that I'd be contemplating a hot-rod family car this morning, but stranger things have happened. Wife and I are making decent money these days, so I may give it a go, just so I can say I did. The price is right and I figure a test drive can't hurt.....

Here's one just like it.

[Linked Image]

What do you guys think?
Go for it.. Ya only live once..

I've had a few (kinda) hot cars and they were all a blast to drive.. My only caution is: when ya get a car like this, the temptation to go a teeny-weeny bit faster than the speed limit will bite your azz..trust me..

BTDT... laugh
Would need to take along my grade-school age girls to see how they fit and how they like it.

I think they'll like it so much, they'll make themselves fit.
Do it!
I hear you on the speed limit thing. Have never been one to drive at high speeds, but do enjoy getting up to speed quickly and running hard through the gears. 75-80mph is fast enough in my book and cruise control is a wonderful invention for the highway and interstate.
"Just do it" wink
Almost 3 years ago, I had this same dilemma as a daily driver for my wife. I'm very practical and such a purchase was pretty extreme for me. Her GT is the 5.0 6 speed auto premium. My wife and I talked about it just a few days ago and there are absolutely no regrets. I don't drive it often so when I do, it puts me in check quite quickly. The acceleration is remarkable. The power comes on in any speed and yet still manages good mileage if you have a light foot. We've seen 26 MPG average before but typical is about 22-23. It's a perfect compromise for us.
I'd do the same again tomorrow. Enjoy.
Good info thin man. Talked with the girl who traded it in and she got 19mpg in town, 26-27 on highway. Not too shabby.
It's REALLY hard to set the cruise at 60 (or whatever the limit is on that road) when driving a car like that.. It's just not RIGHT.. laugh

Had a Mustang GT-350 ('84 - factory) for a demo once when I was in the car biz.. I could hit 100 in 3rd gear and I still had two to go... eek

The OP's gonna love that car.. (drool)
Do it. Sounds like you can afford it and you only go around once.

I am somewhat of a Mustang addict.

I have had an 88 GT, bought in 89 when I was 18 years old. (had a good job)

I owned a 66 Coupe, not once but twice and it ran 10.80's in the 1/4 on pump gas and 9" slicks. Had a 347 stroker that was putting out 550HP, all motor and was reliable as the day is long. Motor was a feature build in a magazine and I bought it and went nuts.

Then I had an 02 Saleen Extreme, 1 of 34 made. Supercharged and while it was not as quick as the 66 it handled like a dream with the racecraft suspension.

I have been eyeballing both the new Boss and the 662HP GT500 but with two in college I may have to wait for that perfect used deal to come along.

Get it and enjoy it....

Then put a centrivical blower on it and really enjoy it. smile
it's a chick car, just my opinion, but if it's for the wife than its a cool chick car.
The Mach 1 and boss were the only mustangs I would own
Go fot it!
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy
it's a chick car, just my opinion, but if it's for the wife than its a cool chick car.
The Mach 1 and boss were the only mustangs I would own

Told the wife she really needs a minivan and a moo-moo. I'd worry less. (grin)

She's creeping up on 40 but is determined not to feel like it, which I'm thankful for....
Originally Posted by Big_Bullseye
I have been eyeballing both the new Boss and the 662HP GT500 but with two in college I may have to wait for that perfect used deal to come along.

The Boss 302 from last year was the one that really had my eye lately......

The practical thing would be to buy a burial plot so your kids don't have to.....or you can buy the Mustang.

Hey jpro, you be careful though ok? I know you'll click off the traction control and pull her hard through a set of gears now and then. (I would)

But you be alert, be ready to lift that right foot fast. These cars are a hoot but they will come around on you like a swinging hammer and it can happen half way to 5th gear and well above 50 mph. Don't play on the wet roads and be mindful of a dusting of dirt/gravel on the paved roads.

I'm not insinuating anything about your driving skills, I'm assuming you are an excellent driver. I'm just saying, these cars have a reputation for getting loose and coming around on you when you are out playing.

I think you should buy it, get one for me too.

grin

Keep 5 sacks of concrete in the trunk.
that did make me raff out rowd.

lmao! grin
Hey jpro, you be careful though ok? I know you'll click off the traction control and pull her hard through a set of gears now and then. (I would)

But you be alert, be ready to lift that right foot fast. These cars are a hoot but they will come around on you like a swinging hammer and it can happen half way to 5th gear and well above 50 mph. Don't play on the wet roads and be mindful of a dusting of dirt/gravel on the paved roads.

I'm not insinuating anything about your driving skills, I'm assuming you are an excellent driver. I'm just saying, these cars have a reputation for getting loose and coming around on you when you are out playing.

I think you should buy it, get one for me too.

grin

Geez - they only have 420/430 HP which isn't all that hard to keep up with if you have even the most basic of driving skills...

And in the rain if you have a lick of common sense you should be fine.
Play around with one long enough and you'll figure out what I'm talking about. Just when you figure you've got it all dialed in, so familiar with it's behavior.... You'll experience that "WTF?" moment that makes you ghost over all gray and flushed with humility and respect for the harmless little pony car.

grin

I think it's mostly to do with the short wheel base, RWD & power to weight ratio.

I know a guy with a GT 350, and a guy with a GT 500, I've driven both cars hard and not had any troubles. But they have both told me stories about "that one time" that things went wrong and they had a close call.

I'm just passing along info, If jpro was buying a pinto I might say "Try to not get rear ended".

lol.
Play around with one long enough and you'll figure out what I'm talking about. Just when you figure you've got it all dialed in, so familiar with it's behavior.... You'll experience that "WTF?" moment that makes you ghost over all gray and flushed with humility and respect for the harmless little pony car.

grin

I think it's mostly to do with the short wheel base, RWD & power to weight ratio.

I know a guy with a GT 350, and a guy with a GT 500, I've driven both cars hard and not had any troubles. But they have both told me stories about "that one time" that things went wrong and they had a close call.

I'm just passing along info, If jpro was buying a pinto I might say "Try to not get rear ended".

lol.

I still like the idea of a Lotus Elise - 2000 lbs and 200hp grin

911's are another one with some real trippy handling. So is the Miata, if the previous owner put Korean tires on it sick

I gotta say, though, "Buy a Pinto and get rear ended" would make a fine insult grin

grin

lol.

Love the pinto comment.....

Power to weight ratio is what I had in my 66. 2800lbs and 550FWHP.... I had a couple oh chit moments in that car. I finally figured out in it that you don't mash it to the floor unless it is pointed in a straight line..... smile
My wife had one of the older 5.0/manual trans Mustangs for 12 years. Bought it brand new. What a great car it turned out to be!

We figured she'd have it a couple of years and then we'd get something "more practical" - but as it turned out the little car with lots of motor was one heck of a neat car. Combined with my big ol' full size Chebby Blazer, we had things pretty well covered.

Until we moved to snow country - then the 5.0/manual trans didn't do so well. Ah well, it was fun, and it held up well over the years. I think the newer ones are even better.

Buy it and enjoy!

Guy
Buy.

Travis
Yeah I never experienced the late model stang voodoo that my friends tell me about, but I believe them. I also believe they were behaving badly when it happened too. lol!

My one friend stuffed his GT 350 in the ditch a couple weeks ago and now he wants to sell it, lol!! (not kidding, he just detailed it, went out on the hwy to play a little and lost control, stuffed it in the ditch and [bleep] it all up)

I think he's owned and driven that car for at least 8 years now... so yeah, wtf indeed...

At least he didn't get hurt.

Buy it -don't be a wuss.
You sprung for a top flight boat "GHEENOE" -you only get one lap lett'er rip.
This thing comes alive above 3,500RPM for sure! It's a Flowmaster system they put on it and it sounds dang good. Uncle told me to drive it off the lot and take it home for the evening so the family could check it out. Runs down the two-lane highway at 62mph in 6th at 1,500RPM. Picked up the girls from summer camp today and walked up to the Mustang, popped the trunk, and tossed their backpacks in. They both looked at me and exclaimed "WHAT!". Cranked it up and gassed it a bit in the parking lot. The little one said "Ooooohhhh. Go fast!" LOL....

Dave, I certainly hear you on the wet weather / bad road thing. A loose back end and power are not your friends in that instance. I'll save my hot-dogging for other times.

I'm leaning toward giving this ride a chance, but we'll wait until Momma gets home and gives her vote. It's not a highly finished German or Japanese car, I can tell, but it's not supposed to be. It's an engine car, plain and simple.
You only go around once, this is not a dress rehearsal, go for it, if it doesn't work out at least you tried.
Always had nice cars, but with a family the nice cars were also practical. Finally at my 60th birthday I said I need a fun car.
Bought this new.
[Linked Image]
Last week I said I need something practical to go with the fun one so I bought this.
Life is what you make it, if you can, make it as much fun as you can afford.
[Linked Image]
We`ve got one and there are great,but the back seat is only usable for my ggd in a car seat. She will not be able to set in it went she needs legroom. Buddy

Here's one just like it.

[Linked Image]

What do you guys think?

personally, I think you made an excellent choice!
Dave is right on the money about the driving/handling issue. Run something hard and fast enough and sooner or later that "pucker" moment will happen! That short wheel-base is probably the biggest factor. The other issue is that the suspension and modern tires make running fast soooo easy, but the laws of gravity still apply when trying to stop.

Have fun!

Bob
I just bought my wife a 2013 Ford Edge. When the salesman was going over the operation of the Edge, we were parked right next to a 2013 "California Special".

I wanted to trade the Edge in right then and there. I was drooling like Doberman over a 5 pound steak....
Two cars I always wanted were a '57 Chevy, and a Cool Mustang. I had the '57 in High School back in '65 (and like a dumb ass sold it when I went into the Air Force), and now it's time for the Mustang. I haven't made up my mind what one I want, but a Shelby GT 500 isn't out of the question.
I got the OK from the Mama already and as soon as the Edge is paid off ('bout 2 years) The Mustang is mine, along with the 2012 F-150 I have now.

I CAN'T WAIT !!

If I was you, I'd have that car !!!

[Linked Image]

What do you guys think?

[Linked Image]
I will say that it sure looks good parked in my garage....... (grin)

Earlier today I was talking to a buddy who had just pulled up in the driveway when my wife fired up the Mustang. "That sure doesn't sound like your Highlander back there", he said. LOL.....

Most of our friends who are in their 40's and 50's just grinned when we told them what we'd bought. Turns out that most of them had done the same thing at one time or another.
Great move.... should be fun!!
Sometimes the value of fun and enjoyment is not factored in with enough weight. You do only live once.
Keep traction control engaged and it is all good. Things can get hairy quick w/o the TC.
© 24hourcampfire