Home
Posted By: Chumleyhunts Mosquito repellent??? - 06/28/13
Since moving to my new place, I have found that the back edge of my yard (Near a drainage/run-off creek from the rail tracks behind me) is LOADED with the little biting bass-turds. Any way to kill, repel them in mass? My dogs are constantly scratching, I'm assuming they are getting eaten alive when they are out and about.
Posted By: maddog Re: Mosquito repellent??? - 06/28/13
Get a sprayer and try malathion, or Sevin. You'll probably have to spray multiple times. They used to make a product called Sevin XLR which would last through about 4" of rainfall, before re spray. Don't know if they still make it or not.

maddog
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Mosquito repellent??? - 06/28/13
they breed in standing water. Is there any way to get rid of it?
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Mosquito repellent??? - 06/28/13
Most places have a County Mosquito Abatement department. Worth a call to see what they say or what they'll do for you.
Posted By: RS308MX Re: Mosquito repellent??? - 06/28/13
Around here we have what are commonly known as "mosquito dunks" that look like donuts. They are placed in swamps, vernal pools and any area with standing water. The larve feeds off them and are killed. They are safe for everything else. They only kill mosquito and black fly larve. My town gives them out for free but I have seen them for sale at Tractor Supply and other places. And they really work!!

Bob
Posted By: JOG Re: Mosquito repellent??? - 06/28/13
Originally Posted by RS308MX
Around here we have what are commonly known as "mosquito dunks" that look like donuts.

�Dunks� contain Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis), a bacteria that excretes a protein that paralyzes the mosquito�s digestive system. Good stuff.
Posted By: 17ACKLEYBEE Re: Mosquito repellent??? - 06/28/13
Here it is!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: levrluvr Re: Mosquito repellent??? - 06/28/13
for spraying, I use permethrin either out of a large tank sprayer pulled behind tractor or a smaller 2 gallon hand held. Find the highest content you can; the higher concentrations usually found at ag stores for cattle spray/dip or in carpenter ant insecticides.
I'll agree on the dunks- are great for standing water
Posted By: GeorgeS3 Re: Mosquito repellent??? - 06/28/13
Lots of hardware stores sell a spray bottle that you hook up to a hose pipe with the killer in it......Lasts about a month for me!
© 24hourcampfire