Home
Posted By: 16penny Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
How many do it yourself .22 behind the ear
or let the vet do it
I have always looked at it like I put them out of their misery not someone else also semes more humain at home than driving them to a strange place to do it still is very sad though
Posted By: J23 Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
I couldn't do it. My Brittney, Jackson, is ten.. and he is slowing down, way down.. and it saddens me.

I don't know what I'll do when that time comes, I truely don't. Most I can hope for is to wake up one morning, and he be sleeping peacefully, the eternal peace.

It upsets me thinking about it.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
It is never a good day, but, if it has to be done, I will do my own, thank you.
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
Originally Posted by 700LH

Me too.

I love my dog more than just about anything else on this Earth, it hurts just thinking about that day, but I want to be there to send her off, not some stranger in a sterile, frightening environment.
Posted By: Winnie Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
Would rather have the dog spend his/her last minutes with their beloved owner..

Watched that China Skinning animals alive and had a bad dream about them taking my cat.. Woke up and had to make sure he was fine..

Animals have a way of getting into your heart and mind like nothing else..
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
I am Dr. Kevorkian; dying isn't a crime.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
Make preparations in advance with your vet to make a house call, I don't see why he/she wouldn't come out at the end of their workday.

I also agree that it's better for them to pass at home than the vet clinic.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
Had to bury two dogs in less than a week, about five years ago ( January will make 5 ). Podunk was 15, died in her dogloo, buried her on a Saturday. Daphne was my 17 year old lab. She just gave up when her pal was gone. Made it till Wednesday, no food or water, peed on her blanket, would not get up. 17HMR behind the ear, sucked on a bottle of gin till I went to bed/passed out.

Hardest [bleep] thing I have ever done. Just couldn't stand the thought of taking her to a vet and leaving the deed for some one else.
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
Posted By: StubbleDuck Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
Those who think they can dispatch their beloved pets,

good luck.

I watched my dad put down his (native-born, from Tokyo) Akita when he got too old and the vet could only relieve symptoms. One helluva dog.

My dad killed his dog by giving it 20-30 narcotic-level pain killers (Tylinol3?, my dad died from cancer a few years later). I thought the whole process and experience was quite messy despite there being no blood to deal with. After eating the food full of the [drugs] the dog was unconscious within an hour but took 18-20 hours to finally succumb to doggie heaven.

It was trerribly hard on my pops, saw him cry briefly (a first) and he was embarrassed as well as upset. I was visiting from out of town, but glading accepted the duty [and HONOR] to bury it.

Some years later, my mum needed a dog and companion. Got a pure blood female Austrailian Sheperd from the local WAIF.

Kaylee was family member only 8 years until she developed her cancer.

Got to the point she would throw up water, and then she'd think she was in trouble after making the mess. Saddens me to think about it. I was 'THERE' when my mum had the veternarian make a house call. Was much better and more humane, but the last moments of her life probably scared her more than we would have liked (with a stranger in the house).

When the vet administered the drug/injection, she fell into unconsciousness before he finished the complete injection.

THAT was gut wrenching too, but better than "shooting her!"

I buried her too, very selfishly! (that chore NO ONE could have taken from me!).

One belief i have about life is NO ONE is a fully-functional human being until they have experienced the unconditional love (and non-judgementalism) that only a loyal pet can show.

Around the Akita I thought we always had to walk on egg-shells with a breed known as a biter, and haven't missed that feeling/experience much.

But I still miss the Aussie - sometimes alot! Never had any experience with a herding breed until then.

We'd had (my family growing up) a couple mutts, but also 2 Brittanies, 2 Akitas, and one Black Labrador. Too many cats to count.

The Australian was the smartest of all the bowsers, with more personality than all of them combined! She died waaaay to young.

If the vet is available and the owner IS NOT A CHEAP-SKATE, do yourself, your family, and your beloved pet a huge favor .... and let the vet be the bad guy. wink
Posted By: drahthaar Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
I take my dogs everywhere. Taking them in to the vet isn't that different, they have been there before. But I am the one that pushes the syringe, the dog still dies by my hand, that is what is most important. They hear my voice as they go to sleep, given the final command.
I go through the anguish of digging the hole, no matter the season. And winter is a bitch, if it comes to that.

They are wrapped in my best hunting coat, and buried with two shells in the pocket and a bird in the mouth.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
StubbleDuck, your your life, your experiences.If you don't have the balls to do it your self, don't go making cheap shot calls about cheap-skates. Has not a [bleep] thing to do with economics. Just because your dad did a lousy job, and the vet scared your moms dog, doesn't make you an expert on other people lives or pets.
Originally Posted by calikooknic
StubbleDuck, your your life, your experiences.If you don't have the balls to do it your self, don't go making cheap shot calls about cheap-skates. Has not a [bleep] thing to do with economics. Just because your dad did a lousy job, and the vet scared your moms dog, doesn't make you an expert on other people lives or pets.

Didn't mean my post to be the way you took it Kalikook! But take it however phuuking stoopid and 'eggspurt' you are! smirk

For those who would do what my pops did, it was the vet my dad went to, who RECOMMENDED my dad use that method. I would advise otherwise.
Originally Posted by drahthaar
I take my dogs everywhere. Taking them in to the vet isn't that different, they have been there before. But I am the one that pushes the syringe, the dog still dies by my hand, that is what is most important. They hear my voice as they go to sleep, given the final command.
I go through the anguish of digging the hole, no matter the season. And winter is a bitch, if it comes to that.

They are wrapped in my best hunting coat, and buried with two shells in the pocket and a bird in the mouth.

Excellent Drahthaar. If your vet lets you do that (regardless of the law perhaps?), thats the best method I've heard of.

My first post was meant as a warning to those smart enough to understand that shooting a pet is probably something they'd [probably] be glad they didn't do.
I've had to put down two good dogs, and two good horses. It's [bleep] humbling.

Digging holes for the doggy's with blurred vision is tough, but if the ground is hard enough it helps work out some of the feelings.

I feed my dog a steak breakfast if he/she can still eat, and bury them wrapped in their blanket.
Posted By: vapodog Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13

I'm in this group.....it just wouldn't be right to let someone else do what I consider my responsibility.
Posted By: pira114 Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
I put down my own. Done it several times.

Took one to the vet. Never again. Felt like I abandoned the dog and it wasn't even mine.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
Saw the job botched once when I was a kid. The dog didn't suffer but it was not pretty. The last one was Larry Brittany at the vet's and he went out peacefully with me talking to him. Larry didn't mind going to the vet, he took time to make friends with Larry. And the cancer had progressed to the point Larry was pretty much past caring anyway.

I suppose I could do it myself if I had to, but it's hard enough making the last trip to the vet. The people at the clinic are friends and helped share the burden.
Posted By: Backroads Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
We should all be so lucky to be taken out to the hunting grounds with our very best friend for one last hunt.

Posted By: 1B Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
I could do it myself but choose not to as the decision alone causes all the trauma the family needs. I'm pretty much a mess myself at the end but we have been lucky in that we never had to make a hard call. Each time, it clearly was the right thing to do.

If the animal was suffering and no other option was available...I'd do it. Bu that would mean hauling the dog to a distant farm as it is illegal to discharge a firearm where we live.

1B
Posted By: bearhuntr Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
This...
...and this...
Posted By: ironbender Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
BTDT with dogs and horses. Some think it's a betrayal of friendship with the pet.

I think that having them exit this world with no stress, no worries, with the person they know best and most want to be with, is worth the pain it gives me. I feel I owe it to them.

If one is not able to complete the task quickly and humanely, go to the Vet for the "green dream" injection.
I've been married going on 38 years in November. Have always taken care of the dogs and cats in my household. Took care of them since I was 15 or so in my parents house too.

I couldn't imagine having s vet (good friends with two) take care of it for me-just seems wrong for me somehow....

Posted By: Hoyt Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
Big dogs don't always go down that easy. One well placed shot in the head may end up with a squealing dog and messy situation.
Posted By: lundtroller Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
Got a call to the hospital one night about 15 years ago in Kansas for an emergency surgery... gunshot wound. Went to the ER expecting the worst and found a distraught old bachelor farmer lamenting his predicament, the death of his dog.

This man's "best friend" had become sick with something and needed to be put down. He was depressed for that reason alone, but was even more so after finding out that the vet wanted $150 or so to do the job. Being practical and on a limited budget, he decided to do the undesirable job himself. He took the dog outside and called the dog to heel at his side because he couldn't bring himself to look his dog in the eyes. He took an old 32 cal. revolver and shot the dog in the back of the head. The dog went down and the farmer felt a sharp pain down his leg, the bullet had ricocheted (?sp) from the dogs skull and entered has lower leg fracturing his fibula a couple of time and lodging in his mid calf.

The man was about in tears, more about his dog than his leg, and embarrassed about the whole event. He had had to call his brother to bring him in and he was afraid that in reporting the accident that the animal rights people might get a hold of the story and paint him as an animal abuser.

I felt sorry for the guy. We worked on him for 2 or 3 hours in the middle of the night cleaning the wound, removing the bullet fragments, and repairing the fracture. Never did hear whether he had to come back for wound infections or anything like that. I never saw the story in the newspaper either.

I didn't have the heart to charge the guy for my services but I know the hospital did! Made that vet bill look pretty darn cheap in the rearview mirror I suspect. Since that time I have always visited the vet, but stayed with my animals till they were gone. I figured I owed them that at least... never fun though.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
been on both sides of the equation, have shot more damned dogs with tears in my eyes than I care to.

only the last few years when money was more available have I gone the vet method. Ours is pretty good, while I hold and stroke and whisper to my dog, the vet just inserts a syringe, but I'm right there with them pettin and soothing my old companion.

I've no fault however a man gets through one of the toughest jobs on the planet. It's just a chitty job no matter how you gussy it up. You're losing a damned fine friend, perhaps your best friend.

And circumstances dictate a lot, I had to drop a tree in a tight spot and lo and behold, my daughter's dog had come up to see what the hell was that racket I was making. Yep tree dropped right across his back, I had no idea he was there till the last second as I was watching my cut.

shooed daughter into the house pretty brusquely as the dog was still kicking, grabbed a rifle and headed back to the spot to put the poor old boy outa his misery. But his end had come before I got to him. Helluva thing.

tears streamed the whole time I dug his grave and made his marker, broke my lil gir's heart and mine too. Don't know why, but it's a comfort to know that many of you approach the grave digging the same way I do. It helps to do something physical.

there ain't no right or wrong answer as far as I can tell, a man's just got to get through it the best way that he can.

Posted By: Bogtrotter Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13

Look for a vet that will come to your house , to do the job. There are some that will do it. When I see how easy they go when a vet does it, I can't help but think of the suffering some of my family have gone thru with cancer.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
I've never plugged a dog with a .22, wouldn't want to experiment on a friend, might botch the job like my cousin did back in the woods with his dog one time.

Back in February we had to put our beloved little 8lb terrier down. A local animal hospital has this system where first they take the dog out of your sight to check it out and then return with it in a few minutes with a catheter (on of those things you stick syringes into) taped to its front leg.

The dog comes back and, living in the present as they do, relaxes again back in your arms. As suggested we were feeding him treats, in this case roast chicken, and of course, being a dog, he was totally fixated on that.

He wasn't even remotely aware when the vet injected through the catheter; he took a scrap from my fingers, swallowed it, looked-up for another one and just like that he was gone.

$60 total, we buried him curled up on his blanket in the front yard.

It you can get a vet to do it that way that's probably the ideal.

Birdwatcher
Posted By: FVA Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
I do it when it has to be done. I've plenty of experience killing and there aren't any mistakes.
I would recommend most use the vet.
Posted By: Bogtrotter Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
Gotta say, my eyes got damp reading that. That's exactly what it is for me, watching a freind go!
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
It is actually illegal in Utah to euthanize a companion pet. You must go to the vet. I think it is BS. I've put down pets before, I will do so again, if needed. It's not about being cheap, it's about doing it right. I don't want some stranger to do the deed, he will die by my hand.
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
Have to go with Birdwatcher. I've had a Shepard hit by a car die in my arms. When our next Shepard had terminal cancer he died in our arms at the Vet's. The Shepard after that laid down and died while I was pulling weeds in the garden. Thought that he'd just laid down. Never had a clue that he'd laid down to die. Our Lab had throat cancer. We prayed for the best and hoped for the best and got Him a 4 month old Shepard for a companion. He was in remission for quite a while and had fun with the Shepard pup. In late December of '05 he had the best day of his life. He played with the pup, swam in the creek on our north boundary, was the highlight of our Christmas party making friends with everyone that attended. In the early hours of the next morning he wanted out. I let him out and stayed out to watch Him. He laid down it the tall grass on our west boundary to die. Took me a while to figure it out. Finally carried him back through the slider into the living room where he died in my arms. I still weep. Now the Shepard that was his playmate is getting old. I know that one of these days he's going to break my heart. They give you unconditional love. Its not wrong to weep when they pass on.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
I have my vet come out to the house.
Posted By: ChasR Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I have my vet come out to the house.

As the old saying goes, different strokes for different folks. If there were no other option, I would be willing and able to put my dog down - but first choice is definitely a house call from the vet.

Last dog I lost hated the vet's office - loved the vets, etc., but she knew she got shots and other unpleasant things in that building. So, when her cancer got to the point she was starting to suffer, I called the vet. He and an assistant came out and I laid on the floor next to her as he gave her the shot. Still miss that dog.

I've never understood the folks who take their pet to the vet and drop it off to die. And, I had a friend once who couldn't take his dog with him when he moved so he heeled her out the woods and shot her. Farm boy who had a slightly different view of dogs than I do. Like I said -- different strokes.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
I am putting down my 15 year old Brittany this morning at 9:00 am. Have an appointment at the vet. It will be the same as her litter mate a few years ago and her mother, even more years ago. I always hold them with their head in my lap, scratching their ears. The vet inserts the needle and they peacefully go quickly . . . no noise, no movement . . . they just fall asleep. Still, very sad and I always cry.

Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
I have always handled that sad job myself. I feel it's the right thing to do. It's always hard.
Posted By: GSP814 Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
I could never shoot one of my beloved hunting dogs! Since I was a little kid my father always made us go into the vet's office and hold the dog while they were put to sleep, my father always said a great hunting companion should never die alone. It's getting harder and harder to do as I get older.
Posted By: MColeman Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
My vet comes to my place. I want them to go with me holding them, loving on them and in a familiar place. Plus, I don't want all the people in his office to hear me bawling.
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
I've done it both ways.
Back when vets were too exspensive .. a .22 would have to do.

Now? my vet has the "last room" at the end of the hall.
Not sterile at all, but more like your living room.
Where you can hold your friend until the last goes out of them.

I beg my wife to take me there.
After watching her dad, waste away...I know it is more humane and respectful.

The Injuns would go off to not be a burden to the tribe.

We need Jack Kavorkian and his kind more than ever.
One of my best dogs got too old and sick to move or even to be moved. She was laying on my garage floor, messing herself where she laid. She couldn't get up and I couldn't move her without hurting her. No vet was on call within driving distance to come and do the job. I couldn't use a firearm because it was in my shop, and I wouldn't have anyways because she was afraid of guns.

I set a large plywood box over the top of her, the box didn't touch her, she was simply sleeping. I had used a hole saw prior to setting the box over her to cut a 2" round hole. I used a long piece of 2" flex pipe to route exhaust fumes from the SUV we had at the time which had nice quiet exhaust. Made sure to use a good length of tubing also to shed exhaust temps. I let the truck idle and went inside the house with my head down, had a cup of coffee, gave a good 45 minutes or so then I buried my dog at the edge of the yard.

Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
Many years ago I had a very well bred pointer gyp that was looking o be a world beater at 2 YO. Then she was struck with some ailment and didn't respond to the treatment by my Vet. She was wasting away by the hour and shortly couldn't get up.

I hauled her to the Vet in the back of my pickup. You could tell she thought we were going hunting. He came outside with the needle and stuck it a vein in her leg.

I can still se the terror in her eyes when the meds reached her heart.

Since then, I've put down a bunch.

I take 'em out in the pasture, tie their leash to a tree, which they are accustomed to when I feed 'em at a camp to avoid dog fights.

I drop a weinie in front of them while standing behind them and to one side. As they eat the treat, I put a 38 bullet downward thru the brain

I've never trusted a 22 for the job.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
I lost my dear Bebe early this year. Crying reading all this. Still have not gotten another dog although we talk about it.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
A dying dog will pass quickly if its on the lap of thier owner, but they seem to fight passing until they feel safe.

Mine passed on my lap, with me telling her it was ok.

Posted By: Dave93 Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
I've done this job both ways.......via .22 and vet. To me, it was more painful emotionally to take my dog to the vet. Very sad either way.
Posted By: RWE Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
I've done other folks pets, but I couldn't do my own.

When our lab/boxer got too old, I think she knew it was time.

While we were at church on a Wednesday night, she went the half mile down the driveway to the highway and took one.

Dog never left the yard except to walk to my Dad's. Never even been on the driveway out except to go to the vet's, and that was in a car or truck.

Chokes me up visioning the old girl with bad hips making that walk.
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
My wife and I went to the vet to be with our last two as they went under. I had heard lots of bad things about the euthanasia process, but it was really peaceful. I was glad I was there for both of them, and really glad that they didn't have to hurt anymore. We have 3 right now, all getting on in years so I know what is coming. I certainly don't look forward to it, but I am glad it is an option.
Posted By: Ravenr2 Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
I do, with tears. My dog, My job...
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Make preparations in advance with your vet to make a house call..

THIS.!

The last dog I had went downhill overnight. He was fine one day, the next he had lost a lot of his faculties, like he had a stroke or something..

Called the vet and tried to get him to come out and do the quick and painless thing, but he was already booked up out on somebodies ranch taking care of a few hundred head of cattle.

He couldn't make it and we couldn't let him suffer thru the night. I'm ashamed to say I couldn't do it, so my dad put one in the back of the head.

Instant death, but not in the way we would have liked.

To this day, I just can't use that rifle. It pretty much just sits in the safe...

So yes,..plan ahead with the vet if possible.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13

The worst for me was when I had to put my son's horse down.
We live out on a large ranch and my kids 10 and 6 have seen a lot of life and death. They help me calve out heifers see the miracle of life and see a few die. They see quite a few critters shot.

I called my kids out to say goodbye to that horse, just before I took her for a walk out over the hill. After goodbyes my daughter ran back into the house crying "Daddy I hate it when you have to shoot things." That was tough.

My dog is 9 and aging fast. Too many miles and wrecks. The vet is a good friend and when it is time he'll come to the house.
Posted By: temmi Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
Geez
Originally Posted by 16penny
or let the vet do it
I have always looked at it like I put them out of their misery not someone else also semes more humain at home than driving them to a strange place to do it still is very sad though
You can have the vet come over and do what's needed while your dog is home and in his/her bed. Best to let a professional do it to avoid mishaps. The last thing you want is for your dog's last memory to be you shooting him a second time.
Posted By: WFR Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
Had to put our 13-year old lab down earlier this year.
Took her the vet.
I placed her on the table and made sure she was comfortable and relaxed.
I held her head in my arms very close to me as the vet placed the needle in her front leg.
She was peacefully gone in 5 seconds.

When it has to be done, I do it. To quickly and painlessly end a pets suffering is an act of kindness. I wouldn't shirk that responsibility onto another. They might mess it up.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
Doc does it, I can't. Probably never could or never will. But they come to the house and we are there.

Sucks regardless.

A buddy just dug a hole, put his lab in and shot her in the head and buried her. Some can.

I can't. I do know every one we've had put down just "went to sleep"
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
When it has to be done, I do it. To quickly and painlessly end a pets suffering is an act of kindness. I wouldn't shirk that responsibility onto another. They might mess it up.

+1

TOUGH and somewhat morbid thread this,......gets one thinking back, remembering.

I've always handled it myself, so far.

GTC
Posted By: Muffy Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
I had to have my Golden put down a few years back. The vet come right out to the pickup and did it. He loved to go for rides in his old truck and he just fell asleep with his head in my lap.
Posted By: 17ACKLEYBEE Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
Yep it can be done but what kind of a POS would you feel like if it didn't go down as planned and you had to do the job again two or three more times. No I'll take my dogs to the vet and they will just go to sleep painlessly. Machco don't count when it comes to one of your best friends in life unless you're an A-holer.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
When we had our Casey put down we had the vet come too our place. Before he got there we spent some quality time with her in the yard and it helped a little. Once he arrived he explained how everything would go and that once the shot was administered, it would only take a few seconds before she was peacefully sleeping.

It was still one of the hardest things we've ever had to do and I hope to never have to do it again. There is no way I could put one of my dogs down myself, especially using a firearm.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
at the vet ...the dog is on a doge bed on the floor...your talking to/petting your dog when the vet/helper puts the drug in...and "old red" is gone ....I can't save/cure the dog cause I ain't god.....same reason I can't end its life... my 2$
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
Somewhat off topic but related.

My Ranger was getting feeble and in pain from arthritis but he still enjoyed what life he could. He would still roll in the grass and try to chase squirrels and limp over to see neighbors with his tail wagging furiously to say hello. I knew the end was near but figured he would tell me when it was time for him to go.

One Wednesday night he told me. He could barely stand to eat his dinner and then barfed it all up. The next day I called the vet from work to make an appointment for the coming Saturday for 3:30. I planned to spend all day with him and then take him for his final car ride.

When I got home that very afternoon, Thursday, he was out in his kennel silent and still. I went to pet him and could feel his chest was still warm. His eyelids fluttered one last time and then he was gone. I think he had waited for me to get home before leaving and spared me the grief of choosing when his time would be.

I know that sounds all anthropomorphic and many will just say it was an accident of timing, but incidents like this serve to intensify my belief in a benevolent higher power.

FWIW, that was over two years ago and I'm crying like a baby as I write this.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
My Remmie girl has lived a very active 7 1/2 years and is starting to show the aches and pains to prove it. I don't know how her ending will come, but the screen gets a bit blurry just thinking about it. To make matters worse, we got Remmie just a few months before our twins were born, so I'll be dealing not just with my own grief at losing my good girl, but also the grief of my children losing a life long companion.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
Get back to me when you have to put down your wife's horse she has had for 20 years.

I have a soft spot for the dogs we have but i will not let them suffer because i just don't feel i could live with myself.

Sometimes choices have to be made all are not happy ones,they hurt but it is a fact of life.

When i had to put down Boomer it was with a tear in my eye,i still think of him from time to time,as long as one remembers them they are not really gone.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
or let the vet do it

Really? How do you know the Dog doesn't feel a lot of pain in the last few seconds of his life? What happens if you botch it? I will pay someone that knows what they are doing to end their life without pain and except for one dog I have been there for Dogs and Cat's that were involved.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
Originally Posted by Salmonella

Dang allergies, I've had to do it, don't like it a bit, have also had to put down and bury [with my tractor] neighbors horses, sad deal all around.

There are plenty of people that need killing, that would be joy.

Gunner
Posted By: 1minute Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
On of the toughest endeavors there is. I've done it myself, as most of our dogs stress out the second the rig turns into the vet's parking lot.

After 14 years, there's probably one coming down the pike in the coming months. Tearing up just thinking about it.
Posted By: bcraig Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
I am getting ready to face this situation again in a few months.
I have rolled it through my mind and definetly don't want to take her to vet because she hates going there and doesn,t especially like him.
I haven,t asked anyone yet but curious whether the materials could be sold to me with instructions on how to do it and then when I feel like it is time I can do it without her having to see him or the vets office?
I don't want her to be scared and would really just have me and the woman and the dog there when it needs to be done.
Really Really don't want to shoot her either.
Thanks
Craig

PS please feel free to PM me about this subject.
Posted By: Pete E Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
I could not do it myself unless it was an emergency and there was no alternative to relieve the suffering.

As others have said, sometimes an old dog goes down hill fast. With my Sam, I came one from work to find he had some sort of stroke and was staggering about like a punch drunk boxer.

I rushed him immediately to the vet, more in the vain hope that Sam could be saved, but knowing in my heart of hearts it was unlikely..

The vet confirmed this and took us both through to a quite side room and left us to say our final farewells while she made ready the injections..The first was a sedative and the second was supposed to be the lethal injection.. However, Sam had other ideas and let go just as the first injection was administered. I felt him go as I held him, no fuss, panic or stress.

That night I buried him in the garden, curled up on his favourite blanket, along with one or two his toys.. For him and me, that was the right way although it was still damn hard and I freely admit I cried like baby after it was over..
Posted By: OrangeOkie Story of a Dog Named Sue - 08/06/13
STORY OF A DOG NAMED SUE

It�s March 2010 and we just had our third snow storm in Oklahoma. My Brittany Spaniel Lucy has just recovered from an illness and is once again eating well and regaining the weight she had lost. Her illness reminded me of her mother Sue and I wanted to tell you that story.

Back in 1993, we had just moved to Pensacola Florida for three years of shore duty. I was in the Navy and nearing the end of my career. I did not anticipate many more deployments and one of my goals had been to buy another Brittany spaniel pup and try to do some quail hunting before I had to go back to my last sea duty.

My wife was not crazy about the idea, but finally succumbed to my relentless pressure . . . �please, pretty please?�

We found �Sue� in a shopping mall pet store. Sue was the name of the last Brittany pup we had owned many years prior, while I was a student at Oklahoma State University back in the late 1970�s. This new young orange and white pup was three months old and had been for sale for several weeks. The store was asking $350 which had been discounted from a previous $450. I had never paid anywhere near that amount for a dog. I felt it was way over my anticipated budget, but she was so beautiful. The sales lady put her in a romp room with me and mom and the three kids. She seemed to be real frisky and playful - just full of energy.

After close consultation with the queen of the house, we reached a compromise and told the sales lady that we would be willing to pay $250 for the pup, and to call us if they couldn�t sell her.

I had given up hope I would ever see that pup again when just three days later we received a call from the pet shop and they asked us if we were still interested in buying the Brittany pup. I assured them I was, and confirmed they were willing to sell her for $250. They agreed, and within a few hours we were on the way home with our new pup. I really hadn�t thought through how to transport her because we only had a small Japanese 4-door sedan which was full with three kids, me and the Mrs.

I decided to put Sue in the trunk of the car which she did not seem to think was such a good idea. She was shaking as I lowered her into the trunk and shut the lid for the short ride home. When we arrived, I opened the trunk and there was Sue. She had vomited all over the inside of my trunk!

We did not have a kennel or fenced in yard, so we decided to keep Sue in the screened-in back porch �Florida room.� For a dog house I decided to use the tall card board box from the new washer I had just purchased. That night we put blankets in the bottom of the box, and put Sue inside so she could go to bed. She just looked up at us. As we turned to go inside the house for the night I heard a scuffle and turned to see her jump right out of that box like a deer. This was one athletic pup, for sure.

We ended up tying her out in the shady back yard on a 10x10 cement slab during the day, while allowing her to sleep in the house at night. My wife had been against the �sleep inside� part from the beginning, but once again I persevered - �pretty please, with sugar on top?�

We had some memorable hunts with Sue and the boys in the Florida panhandle and she quickly became a close member of the family.

I remember one year we were getting ready to go on a vacation to Spain. We were going to drive from Florida to Virginia to catch a Space-A flight to Rota, Spain, my wife�s home town. We did not want to board Sue in a kennel and had made a deal with our next door neighbor to feed and water her while we were gone. We had a chain link fenced-in area behind our detached carport and shed, so we decided to keep Sue in the fenced-in area and I installed a small doggy door in the door to the shed so she could get out of inclement weather. Everything was set, a perfect set up for Sue, or so I thought.

As the day arrived for our departure for Virginia, I had the car all packed and the kids were climbing into the back seat. I led Sue to the gate and put her inside the chain link enclosure for the first time. She just watched as I walked to the car and started backing down the driveway, on the way to Virginia. However, just as I got to the end of the driveway, my wife said �look!� Sue was climbing the fence and as I sat there, stunned, she climbed right over that chain link fence and came running toward the car. I spent the next two hours tying hog wire fence around the top of the chain link to keep her from climbing out.

Sue traveled with us to our final duty station in my hometown of Oklahoma City on Christmas Eve of 1996. We bought a home in South Oklahoma City with a big back yard, so she was able to run and play during the day and sleep in the house at night. I made sure to put out a lot of bird feeders so she could entertain herself during the day while we were at work. I took great pleasure in scooping the poop, feeding her and filling her bucket with fresh water each evening. It�s kind of interesting how a dog realizes who they depend on for their daily sustenance, and there is a special bond that develops between man and dog. I loved Sue and she knew it. She seemed to understand everything I said to her. Not necessarily the English language, of course, but she could tell from the tone of my voice what it was I was saying. At night, wherever I was in the house, Sue would follow me from room to room. When I went to bed, she would follow me to the bedroom and curl up in her own bed, which was right next to my side of the bed.

When Sue was about seven or eight I decided to breed her. She was getting up in years, and I felt I would like to have another pup to take her place, once she moved on to doggy heaven. A client of mine had a beautiful male Brittany, and offered him up at stud. I accepted and Sue had her first litter.

I was anxiously attending to Sue as she birthed her first litter. The first puppy was still born, but she had eight healthy puppies thereafter, three males and five females. She was a very good mother.

The pick of the litter turned out to be a proud handsome male who strutted around with his chest puffed out like King Kong, so that is what we named him. He and one other male were the largest two of the entire litter. The other large bodied male had a large head and muzzle like a potato, so we called him Spud. Another smaller male just loved playing in the water bucket, wash tub, or anywhere else he could find water. We ended up calling him Water Boy. The five females were naturally the smallest of the litter. While all of the females constantly cowered at the presence of the three males, one female bowed up and fought back when they tried to pick on her. We decided to name her Lucy, and she became my favorite from the beginning.

Once the pups were weaned and had their shots, I put an ad in the paper and began to sell them. I decided to keep Lucy as my planned replacement for her mother, but I also wanted to keep one of the males. My wife would hear nothing of it. We already had too many dogs with Sue and Lucy, and there was absolutely no way we were going to have three dogs. Well, I just kept at it - you know the routine - until she relented. I wanted to keep King Kong since he was a magnificent pup. He had championship looking lines about him. However, old Spud was just so cute and friendly. While King Kong was somewhat aloof, Spud always came running to me and rolled over so I could scratch his belly. He had a thicker and curlier coat than King Kong. I fell for his big brown eyes, wide smile and eager to please disposition. The other pups sold real fast, so there we were with momma Sue and two pups.

After about six months I went out to feed the dogs and found Spud, �hooked up� with his momma. Good grief, I had no idea that a six-month old male would be able to mate. Well Sue ended up having another litter. We did not feel like going through the whole process again. It takes a lot of work. A friend of the family volunteered to take in Sue and raise the new litter. A few months later, Sue was back at home. I immediately took her and Lucy to the vet and had them �fixed.�

Over the years, Sue began to slow down quite a bit. She developed arthritis in the past year and lost her hearing as well. Gosh, was she 13 years old, going on 14 already. While her two offspring chased birds around the back yard, Sue could be found curled up in a sunny part of the yard sound asleep. I would yell at her to come in the house, but of course she couldn�t hear me. I had to walk out and gently stroke her back to wake her up. She always jumped when I touched her, momentarily startled from her slumber. At night, when she was asleep in her bed, I would look at her and she would be twitching and jumping slightly. I liked to think she was dreaming of her youthful experiences chasing a pheasant, or surprising a rabbit as she busted through the thickets in search of a covey of quail.

Last summer, while I was on the road working, my wife called to say that Sue had become real sick and lethargic. She had developed a large cyst on her left upper lip. My wife took her to our veterinarian in south Oklahoma City, an Oklahoma State University vet by the name of Dr. Keith Rammage. He recommended surgery. The biopsy came back malignant. Sue seemed to regain some of her health and by the time I arrived home at Thanksgiving, she was fully recovered. But her health soon began to fail again over the winter.

Over the past few weeks, Sue had begun to really labor to get up out of her bed in the morning. She seemed to have a bad cough in the morning. Her appetite had fallen off, and she quit eating three days ago. The night before last, she soiled the carpet. She always would bark at me at night to wake me up and let her out. For some reason, she didn�t bark any more. I was beginning to realize she was very ill. Last night, she could not lie down on the floor. She had to sit up to breathe. She sounded like she had a lot of fluid in her lungs. I put some pillows in her bed and picked her up and set her down so that her head was higher than her tail. This seemed to help her breathe, and she soon fell asleep. However, in the middle of the night I heard her get up. She didn�t bark, but I got up anyway and let her outside. I watched her out the window. She peed, and then seemed to just stand there with a thousand yard stare, unmoving. I went out into the cold night and got her attention and she came back into the house. Once again, she was hardly able to walk, and wanted to just stand still and pant. I picked her up and gently carried her to the bedroom and placed her in her bed, propped up so she could breathe. I had a difficult time getting back to sleep, as I realized my good friend was close to death. This morning I helped her get out of her bed. She wheezed and coughed as she made her way to the back door to join her offspring in the dark back yard. I knew what needed to be done, but dreaded admitting it.

I called the vet at 8:30 this morning and explained the situation. I told them my fears and they said to bring her in. I left work early and went home to get her. She was sitting in the corner of the back porch, almost unresponsive and unable to move. I gently picked her up and put her in the back seat of my truck. I carried her inside the vet�s office in my arms. One of the ladies led me to an examination room and I laid Sue on a blanket on top of the table. She was very calm and did not seem nervous at all. She had been through this routine before, and she trusted me. I carefully removed her collar and tag and slipped it into my pocket. I began to weep when the doctor came into the room. She was struggling to breathe as he listened to her lungs with his stethoscope. He told me the cancer had spread to her lungs, which was very common. I knew there was only one humane thing to do, and that was to put her to sleep. The doctor agreed.

They asked me if I wanted to keep the remains and I said no, and ask them to take care of it. I signed a rabies certification paper, unable to read it through teary eyes. One of the assistants explained it said she had not bitten anyone in the last two weeks. Sue had never bitten anyone in her whole life!
They ask me if I wanted to be present during the process and I said yes. Several years ago I had read an article in Outdoor Life about a man who had to put his Lab to sleep. He explained how he felt it was his responsibility to hold his dog to the very end and let her know how much he loved her and appreciated their years together. As I thought of that article, I held Sue in my arms and began to sob uncontrollably. Here was a 54 year old man crying like a baby. Sue did not panic. She knew she was safe with me. She knew I loved her. Could she detect my tears?

It only took a few seconds.

After the doctor injected her right fore leg with the pink serum, Sue simply relaxed and went limp in my arms. She didn�t close her eyes. She still had that thousand yard stare - perhaps looking toward the horizon as a covey of quail disappeared over the rise.

A Special Gift

You're giving me a special gift
so sorrowfully endowed
and through these last few cherished days
your courage makes me proud.

But really love is knowing when
your best friend is in pain
and understanding earthly acts
will only be in vain.

So looking deep into your eyes,
beyond into your soul
I see in you the magic that
will once more make me whole

The strength that you possess is why,
I look to you today,
to do this thing that must be done,
for it's the only way.

That strength is why I've followed you,
and chose you as my friend,
and why I've loved you all these years...
my partner 'til the end.

Please understand just what this gift
you're giving means to me
it gives me back the strength I've lost
and all my dignity.

You take a stand on my behalf
for that is what friends do
and know that what you do is right
for I believe it too.

So one last time, I breathe your scent,
and through your hand I feel,
the courage that's within you to
now grant me this appeal

You�ve cut the leash that holds me here
dear friend and let me run
once more a strong and steady dog
my pain and struggle done

And don't despair my passing for
I won't be far away
forever here, within your heart
and memory I'll stay.

I'll be there watching over you
your ever faithful friend
and in your memories I'll run
a young dog once again

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals that had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be
left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.

PROLOGUE

It�s now August 6, 2013. I just left the vet�s office. Dr. Rammage helped me through a familiar crisis I had faced with Lucy�s mother Sue, and her litter mate Spud. Lucy was 15 years old . . . that�s 105 in human age. She was a fighter to the end. Dementia, arthritis, deafness, respiratory disease, unable to control her bowels . . . it was time, past time really. After the doctor gave her the injection, she relaxed and went to sleep in my arms. I explained to him, through tears, how she had been a fighter her whole life. She was one of five females in a nine-puppy litter and she refused to cower to the other males, who learned soon enough not to pick a fight with her. In the end, she had refused to go on her own, and I knew she would probably suffer rather than give up willingly on her life, even though she had zero quality of life. Lucy will be our last dog. I just don�t think I could bear having to go through this painful, but necessary event again. Me and the wife are too old and too sentimental to put ourselves through it, even though those Brittany pups sure are cute!
Posted By: JefeMojado Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
Out front; near a big mesquite, lies what I affectionately refer to as, "the bone yard". Many a family pet, from a few birds,fish the kids had, cats and more dogs than I care to recall, as well as my wifes favorite old mare, who was 32 years young when I had to put her down.
I can remember taking a knee and having a chat with that old mare, she couldn't get up and was just out of gas. One of the hardest members of the family to put down, I still have the M19 and the piece of brass up on the gun shelf.
Three of my best dogs lay right next to her, each one felt as though they took a piece of my soul when I pulled the trigger. I have not brought another dog into my life since my last "good one", which was almost five years ago.
Maybe when Im old enough to wager the dog will out live me, I'll get one more........tough thread, makes me recall very fond memories.
Posted By: Adkstalker Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
I've had to put a couple dogs down and our Coby is not to far from that decision. I think Im in the minority here, but the thought of the last thing I do for my pet is putting one behind their ear is too much for me. When we put our Dobe down a couple years ago at the vet, it was smooth and peaceful...just the way I wanted it to be for him. I guess I dont have the balls to do it myself....and Im ok with that.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
My little beagle was shot in the head on two separate occasions by some jerk in our neighborhood. She managed to get home under her own power both times and survived both shots. One 22 LR slug she will always carry. Needless to say, she didn't care much for rifles and a rifle shot is absolutely the last way I would have wanted her to go. Heck, a 22LR didn't seem to be very effective on her anyway.

When a tumor finally became more than she could deal with and I realized that it was her time, I wanted it to be as easy and painless as possible. She always loved going to the vet. They always made a big fuss over her there and the Veterinarian was a neighbor and friend. So that is where we went. I have no regrets.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
Originally Posted by Ravenr2
I do, with tears. My dog, My job...

Like This...... Too many times.
Posted By: aspade Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
I had no intention of doing it myself, I had already talked to the vet, but she fell apart overnight. I wasn't going to watch her hurt like that until the office opened in the morning.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone and I didn't look at that .22 again for two or three years afterwards.
Posted By: RufusG Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
We had the displeasure of having to put down one of our dogs this past weekend. I'm on the road working away from home and didn't really know this vet, though two of the dogs had been in for shots.

They really made it almost bearable. Did it in a nice quiet room with a couch and a rug, so I could be there and pet her and scratch her ear.

I would say if the dog doesn't like the vet, find another one so they aren't already agitated going in. I think in general vets are getting better at acommodating people's emotions in this situation.
Posted By: 16penny Re: Putting your dog down - 08/06/13
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
or let the vet do it

Really? How do you know the Dog doesn't feel a lot of pain in the last few seconds of his life? What happens if you botch it? I will pay someone that knows what they are doing to end their life without pain and except for one dog I have been there for Dogs and Cat's that were involved.

I wouldent recomend shooting your dog unless you are familiar with the process. I have done 100's of canines on my traplines through the years and it is instant lights out, when you take out the brain stem
Posted By: Lslite Re: Putting your dog down - 08/07/13
This Texas summer has been hard on my old cowdog.I hope he has another winter in him,but I've been trying to prepare myself for whats coming.I'll have the horse vet come out when the time comes to do the deed.They're buddies anyway so Dusty won't be upset to see him.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Putting your dog down - 08/07/13
Originally Posted by StubbleDuck
Originally Posted by calikooknic

Didn't mean my post to be the way you took it Kalikook! But take it however phuuking stoopid and 'eggspurt' you are! smirk

For those who would do what my pops did, it was the vet my dad went to, who RECOMMENDED my dad use that method. I would advise otherwise.

Sorry, didn't mean for it to come out that way. Too much emotions remembering the day. I [bleep] up.

That, right there. Same with my cow pony. Except, for me, putting down a horse which packed my nappy ass in and out of the mountains too many times to count, and which packed home numerous deer, hurts much worse than any dog I have laid to rest.

But, in both cases, it is my duty.
© 24hourcampfire