Home
Posted By: BrotherBart What's Your Next Project ? - 08/09/13
I'm about to finish up my son's 250/3000 AI,with a McMillian stock that Steelhead most graciously bought my son a couple of years ago,and I was just pontificating on what my next build is gonna be.
I'm pretty sure it's going to be an 1885. Either a High or Low Wall,whatever I can come up with. I'd go with a Browning 78 if I could find one.
The next thing is what I should chamber it in. I'm kinda a wildcat nut and I was thinking about doing a 6mmAckley Krag. It's definately a haul-ass odd ball round that will send a 85 grain pill around 3500 fps and a 75 grainer a little over 3800 fps.
Then I thought I might go simple...
I've always liked a kinda vanilla wildcat(maybe it has sprinkles on top), the 25 Souper. I'm not sure why I'm intrigued by the round. I do think it would look cool if it had 25 Souper stamped on the barrel.
Another one I've thought about is another odd ball. How about a 277-30/30-AI ? I think it would work very well in a 1885 because of the rim on the case.
These are just some thoughts and I'd really like to hear some other suggestions on what I could build and what Y'all have going on.
Thanks Gang.
.20 VarTarg. Got a Rem 700 in triple deuce that needs a new tube. Gonna spin on a Brux and have it chambered for the .20. Should be the cat's azz for crows.
Posted By: Raeford Re: What's Your Next Project ? - 08/09/13
Scratch up enough cash to get a 1911 of some sort.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: What's Your Next Project ? - 08/09/13
Got about 4 project Savage 1895/1899/99 rifles going. My next project is to actually get one of them finished. grin

Hopefully sometime in the next couple months I'll have a pre-1960 99F in 7mm08 ready to work up loads for November.
Posted By: 700LH Re: What's Your Next Project ? - 08/09/13
Deciding to reline a 1894 Marlin 25-20 made in 1904, or not.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: What's Your Next Project ? - 08/09/13
I'm workin' on gettin' laid off,....not to be confused with gettin' laid.
Posted By: BrentD Re: What's Your Next Project ? - 08/09/13
My next project is an 85 Win too. But it will be a .22 rf

700, now about neither. Have it rebored to .32-20 by JES. $250 and 11 days later you are up and running.
Should be getting a new AR-10 from Core15 shipped to me in the next week or so. I will be setting it up and getting some real world numbers over the coming weeks. Should be fun.
Some kind of a truck gun/loaner rifle to keep my spare K4 company, Then probably some kind of an 8x57 bolt.
Bart you ought give a thought or two to doing a 7-30 Waters Improved. That round is pretty slick, and there are boundless choices in 7mm bullets. OF course its not much different ballistically than the .30-30AI, but they are cool.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: mart Re: What's Your Next Project ? - 08/09/13
I'm thinking seriously about reboring my 375 H&H to 450 Ackley. Of course then I'll have to find another 375. It's a vicious cycle when you're a rifle looney. Looking for a Charles Daly or Zastava lefty mini Mauser on which to build a 17 Remington.

Mart
Posted By: Cheesy Re: What's Your Next Project ? - 08/09/13
Originally Posted by 700LH
Deciding to reline a 1894 Marlin 25-20 made in 1904, or not.

Dad did the exact same thing, exact same gun, exact same cartridge, only it was a 1906 version.
Posted By: Teal Re: What's Your Next Project ? - 08/09/13
6.5 Creedmoor of some sort.
Posted By: JTPinTX Re: What's Your Next Project ? - 08/09/13
My next project is to go through Dad's safe and loading room. He passed away 3 weeks ago of a massive heart attack, very unexpectedly.

There are a few things that are extremely sentimental to me, such as his Belgian Browning A-5. It hasn't missed a dove season since the mid-50's that I know of, and it isn't going to start this year. Some of the other stuff I will have to talk to my boys about, and see what interests them. My sister and her family care nothing about his guns, but I know them nearly as well as he did. Mom and Dad just lived 2 blocks from me, and we talked loads and rifles all the time, constantly helping each other out, and shooting together.

I don't know, after bringing his stuff over and assimilating it, there may be some things in my collection I want to get rid of to make room for a project or two, I just don't know for sure what they are yet. I may start tonight, just looking and thinking and holding and remembering, and trying to decide where I go from here.

Thinking of that Browning always reminds me of this picture. I am older now, than Dad was in that picture. That '78 Ford was brand new then. Those were the first two doves I ever shot, and they were with that A-5.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by JTPinTX
My next project is to go through Dad's safe and loading room. He passed away 3 weeks ago of a massive heart attack, very unexpectedly.

There are a few things that are extremely sentimental to me, such as his Belgian Browning A-5. It hasn't missed a dove season since the mid-50's that I know of, and it isn't going to start this year. Some of the other stuff I will have to talk to my boys about, and see what interests them. My sister and her family care nothing about his guns, but I know them nearly as well as he did. Mom and Dad just lived 2 blocks from me, and we talked loads and rifles all the time, constantly helping each other out, and shooting together.

I don't know, after bringing his stuff over and assimilating it, there may be some things in my collection I want to get rid of to make room for a project or two, I just don't know for sure what they are yet. I may start tonight, just looking and thinking and holding and remembering, and trying to decide where I go from here.

Thinking of that Browning always reminds me of this picture. I am older now, than Dad was in that picture. That '78 Ford was brand new then. Those were the first two doves I ever shot, and they were with that A-5.

[Linked Image]

Sorry to hear about your Dad, JP.I'm guessing that you and I are about the same age and I dread the days you're dealing with recently.

That's a great picture of you and your Dad and doves. Hold onto the memories and as much of his stuff as possible for now. Wisdom and memory will show you which things are most important-you can thin things down from there.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: What's Your Next Project ? - 08/09/13
i am working on a .25 souper too. let me know how yours goes.
Posted By: Darrel Re: What's Your Next Project ? - 08/09/13
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
Bart you ought give a thought or two to doing a 7-30 Waters Improved. That round is pretty slick, and there are boundless choices in 7mm bullets. OF course its not much different ballistically than the .30-30AI, but they are cool.
[Linked Image]

What's the difference between a 30-30AI and a 30 Herrett? Case length?
Posted By: Calhoun Re: What's Your Next Project ? - 08/09/13
Shorten that neck on the 30-30AI and it starts looking like a 300 Savage.
Posted By: isaac Re: What's Your Next Project ? - 08/09/13
Brisket.

Need to find a really good gunsmith to take a K98K Mauser in 358 Norma Mag that I have, and open up the bolt face to accept the 404 Jeff case and what ever else is necessary to fire form to my 358 PLP.

Then I'll have my blown out case firing the 280gr. A-Frame and can get rid of the custom 358 STA.

Phil

Have to dig into my oldest son and my springtime purchase of a 76 Jeep CJ with a 304. Time to dig in, take the body off, do some frame repair and get it back road/trail worthy condition. Ideally want to get the body off before fall so I can work easier through winter.
Posted By: BamaCKC Re: What's Your Next Project ? - 08/09/13
Originally Posted by heavywalker
Should be getting a new AR-10 from Core15 shipped to me in the next week or so. I will be setting it up and getting some real world numbers over the coming weeks. Should be fun.

I've got their base model ar 15. It's well put together.
Bart you ought give a thought or two to doing a 7-30 Waters Improved. That round is pretty slick, and there are boundless choices in 7mm bullets

I'd like to neck that 7-30Waters down to .270 and see what it gets.
I have a 280 Ackley that Hill Country Rifles built out of an old Springfield 03 my Grandad left me. Redneck made it into a 280AI from a 7x57AI because it had feeding problems. That rifle is a frigg'n lazer beam that flat mows critters over. I have the 7mm/280 caliber covered.
I might do a 22-250AI because I already have the dies. I would put a 1/8 twist barrel on it and shoot heavy .22 pills.
Hell... I don't know what I'm gonna build. smile
Originally Posted by isaac
Brisket.

That's too easy. Just cook it... grin
TM...
What are you getting out of the 7-30 Waters AI ?
Originally Posted by BrotherBart

I'd like to neck that 7-30Waters down to .270 and see what it gets.
I have a 280 Ackley that Hill Country Rifles built out of an old Springfield 03 my Grandad left me. Redneck made it into a 280AI from a 7x57AI because it had feeding problems. That rifle is a frigg'n lazer beam that flat mows critters over. I have the 7mm/280 caliber covered.
I might do a 22-250AI because I already have the dies. I would put a 1/8 twist barrel on it and shoot heavy .22 pills.
Hell... I don't know what I'm gonna build. smile

That fast twist .22-250AI is on my horizon as well.
I don't have a 7-30 improved but I looked into it a fair bit when I had regular 7-30 Waters. From what I know 120gr will reach roughly 2800fps and 140gr will do just about 2600fps. Chuck Hawks has a pretty good write up it the cartridge and some good data.
Posted By: EdM Re: What's Your Next Project ? - 08/10/13
A stainless steel Zastava "Mauser" that I will bed in one of Mark Bansner's stocks, Talley lightweights and 3-9X Pentax. Likely an '06, maybe a 270. Just waiting on getting my permit...
Originally Posted by EdM
Just waiting on getting my permit...

Permit?
Why the heck do you need a permit?
It's probably the oz thing. My next project will probably be to get the bolt forged on my springfield and install a beulher safety so that I can get rid of the 3/4" pre WW2 zeiss and get a decent scope on it.
I've decided that I want a 270 caliber wildcat. Preferbly one with a rim,like a 30/40Krag or a 30/30.
It's a little frustrating because there ain't many 270 wildcats out there.
I'm trying to fight off the urge for a 6.8SPC bolt gun. I've gone all practical as of late and have 3 projects in the works.

I probably won't be able to resist the urge much longer...
[Linked Image]

6.5 Super Bower, buy it from Don?
Not my pic actually. I saved it ago from somewhere when I was kicking around doing a 7-30 Improved.
Posted By: JTPinTX Re: What's Your Next Project ? - 08/10/13
Originally Posted by bruinruin

[Linked Image]

Sorry to hear about your Dad, JP.I'm guessing that you and I are about the same age and I dread the days you're dealing with recently.

That's a great picture of you and your Dad and doves. Hold onto the memories and as much of his stuff as possible for now. Wisdom and memory will show you which things are most important-you can thin things down from there.

Thanks Bruin, I am 45.

Even though I am very sad about his passing, and miss him greatly, the thing that gives me comfort is that I know it was God's plan. I know that without a doubt. Through the clarity of hindsight, I can see God wrapping up all of the loose ends in his life over the last 6 months. He was a great father, a devoted husband, and a true man of God.
Milling an 80% AR lower into a pistol lower and then buying the rest of the parts to make a complete AR pistol.
Posted By: LBP Re: What's Your Next Project ? - 08/10/13
How about a .270 Poobah (.270x57), its a drastic improvment over the obsolete 7x57... whistle
I'm about to finish up my son's 250/3000 AI,with a McMillian stock that Steelhead most graciously bought my son a couple of years ago,and I was just pontificating on what my next build is gonna be.
I'm pretty sure it's going to be an 1885. Either a High or Low Wall,whatever I can come up with. I'd go with a Browning 78 if I could find one.
The next thing is what I should chamber it in. I'm kinda a wildcat nut and I was thinking about doing a 6mmAckley Krag. It's definately a haul-ass odd ball round that will send a 85 grain pill around 3500 fps and a 75 grainer a little over 3800 fps.
Then I thought I might go simple...
I've always liked a kinda vanilla wildcat(maybe it has sprinkles on top), the 25 Souper. I'm not sure why I'm intrigued by the round. I do think it would look cool if it had 25 Souper stamped on the barrel.
Another one I've thought about is another odd ball. How about a 277-30/30-AI ? I think it would work very well in a 1885 because of the rim on the case.
These are just some thoughts and I'd really like to hear some other suggestions on what I could build and what Y'all have going on.
Thanks Gang.

Wow! Now that's a project! I might have a line on a Browning. PM me.
Posted By: okie Re: What's Your Next Project ? - 08/10/13
Brisket.

This...Large caliber, improving on Bart's is not necessary...
I've decided that I want a 270 caliber wildcat. Preferbly one with a rim,like a 30/40Krag or a 30/30.
It's a little frustrating because there ain't many 270 wildcats out there.

Hmmm...277/Krag...
I think you should base it around the 85 gr. Barnes TSX flat base, pick a comfortable socket engagement for this bullet then move the Krag shoulder forward and give it some more angle, figure how much running room you want out to the lands and Brother your wildcattin'.... grin....I wonder how much case capacity it would pick up??? Definitely get the single shot action for this...
Posted By: NathanL Re: What's Your Next Project ? - 08/10/13
Well if I take a new job and relocate I won't be building any new guns anytime soon I guess. I'll probably be keeping my time occupied building a new boat.
Posted By: EdM Re: What's Your Next Project ? - 08/10/13
Originally Posted by bucktail
It's probably the oz thing. My next project will probably be to get the bolt forged on my springfield and install a beulher safety so that I can get rid of the 3/4" pre WW2 zeiss and get a decent scope on it.

Yes, the Oz thing as I had with the Canuck thing when we lived up there.
I am currently working on a home defense 870. Got the magazine extension mounted and the barrel cut. Next up will be mounting a ghost ring rear and a combat front sight, then picking up a stock kit and this one's done. Next up will be purchasing a 9mm semi auto, and then after that an AR.
About damned time!
I have a Ti takeoff on the way for a 243.

I will probably give it a rattle can paint job, a little bedding and call it good.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
About damned time!

I know but life sometimes gets in the way.
Whatcha loading in that 250AI ?
Originally Posted by okie
Hmmm...277/Krag...

A 277 Ackley Krag.
I was thinking about using a 110TSX but that little 85 grainer would definitely haul asss.
How are you doing on getting your gun smithing stuff together? Did you ever find a small lathe ?
I'm still wanting to send you that Weatherby barreled action and see if you can crown the damned thing.
Talk to me Goose... smile
Just putting the final touches on the lathe and mill in the shop and dialing everything in. A Stainless 8 twist 22 cal. barrel just came in the door a couple of days ago and it will get first run on chambering and crowning stuff...

Was just looking at the 30-40 specs and it has a really long neck - 0.486". A fella could move that shoulder forward 0.186" or so and still have 0.300" socket engagement for a 277 diam. boolit....The flat base Barnes could be seated flush with the bottom of the neck. Just have to figure where to cut the lands to. An Ackley shoulder (40 degrees) pushed out that far will add a good bit more capacity...

The 303 British case would work for this too but the Krag will still have more capacity overall as it is 0.100" longer overall but brass would be a little easier to form. This is fun!!!
As soon a I know my equipment is up to snuff for outside work I'll give you a call. We are really close to being done...
Posted By: isaac Re: What's Your Next Project ? - 08/10/13
Good for you on your set up and operation, Dana.

Kick some ass!
Posted By: BMT Re: What's Your Next Project ? - 08/10/13
This Rifle is a CDI Precision in Sarasota FL right now.

Getting new AICS bottom metal installed.

[Linked Image]

BMT

I'm very sorry to hear that, sir. My condolences to you and your family for what your terrible loss. Godspeed.
Good for you on your set up and operation, Dana.

Kick some ass!

Thanks Bob!!!
Originally Posted by okie
Just putting the final touches on the lathe and mill in the shop and dialing everything in. A Stainless 8 twist 22 cal. barrel just came in the door a couple of days ago and it will get first run on chambering and crowning stuff...

Was just looking at the 30-40 specs and it has a really long neck - 0.486". A fella could move that shoulder forward 0.186" or so and still have 0.300" socket engagement for a 277 diam. boolit....The flat base Barnes could be seated flush with the bottom of the neck. Just have to figure where to cut the lands to. An Ackley shoulder (40 degrees) pushed out that far will add a good bit more capacity...

The 303 British case would work for this too but the Krag will still have more capacity overall as it is 0.100" longer overall but brass would be a little easier to form. This is fun!!!
As soon a I know my equipment is up to snuff for outside work I'll give you a call. We are really close to being done...

I know that the Campfire is mostly ignorant about this post(and it' no slight,just a fact), but this is seriously kick asss news.
I'm gonna drag a travel trailer up there and park it in your yard and will work for food,mowing,plowing,pulling weads or whatever just so I can be apart of this build.
Terri will probably have to run me off at gunpoint at some point but I don't care.
Hot damn!!! This is good news!!!
Sorry Redneck... It's too far to your place and I don't know if your wife would shoot me the first day. Terri might give me a week before opening up on me cuz she already knows me. grin
Ok Dana... Been pontificating about what I wanna do.
How about this?
Lets start with a 308 Marlin Express. This has a small rim on the case that will be a little easier with extraction with the 1885 action.
Blow out the case walls and put a 40* shoulder on it, P.O.Ackley style.
Neck it down to .277 caliber.
Lets try and do this with enough room that we don't have to turn the necks.
It might sneak up on 3000fps with a 120 grain bullet. MIGHT...
And for the name......
277 Okie
Whaddya think?
How about calling it the 277 BO (Bart/Okie)
Posted By: NathanL Re: What's Your Next Project ? - 08/11/13
There's a reamer at Midway for a 6.5/40krag improved.
Originally Posted by bucktail
How about calling it the 277 BO (Bart/Okie)

That's kinda kewl but Dana (Okie) would be getting his hands dirty on this.
All Okie needed to do to convince me about his gun looney/expertise is to extoll the greatness of the Winchester Super X Model 1. After that conversation I knew that Okie was sharp as a tack and when he talked about getting into gunsmithing,I felt a pang of guilt because I felt like I was cheating on Redneck. grin
No more "project" guns for me.
I need to finish my wife's 6x45 left handed mini mauser asap, she drew a very limited tag and now the focus is on me to get it done. barreled action is complete thanks to McGowen, it's up to me to finish inletting and then finish the stock.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: What's Your Next Project ? - 08/12/13
powell, you figure out how to shut off the project rifle gene let me know lol
First
1) bed/paint mickey stock for my cerakoted 257 bee
2) mount scope on said 257 bee. have an AV 3-10x42 and Conquest 3.5-10x44 under consideration. need to order LW talleys
3) sight in rifle
4) give said rifle to my father in law (who gave it to me as a bone stock vanguard a few years ago)

Next
Work up colorado elk load for my muzzleloader, then have metal coated and stock painted.

After
Rebarrel my sub 6lb 350 rem mag to 6.5 rem mag.

That ought to keep me busy for about 18 mos.
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
powell, you figure out how to shut off the project rifle gene let me know lol

Spend all your money on bowhunting. smile
Posted By: okie Re: What's Your Next Project ? - 08/12/13
Ok Dana... Been pontificating about what I wanna do.
How about this?
Lets start with a 308 Marlin Express. This has a small rim on the case that will be a little easier with extraction with the 1885 action.
Blow out the case walls and put a 40* shoulder on it, P.O.Ackley style.
Neck it down to .277 caliber.
Lets try and do this with enough room that we don't have to turn the necks.
It might sneak up on 3000fps with a 120 grain bullet. MIGHT...
And for the name......
277 Okie
Whaddya think?
There's only 0.014" taper on the case walls so we should probably leave that alone or just barely tweak it, the rest should be pretty straight forward. I will scrape up a piece of drill rod and make up a prototype case. Which bullet we gonna build this around?
Working on my 7.65x53 Mauser 91 sporter project

Also girlfriend's 6.5x55 Husqvarna project

And finishing up the beater 8mm-06AI project

And I need to scope my M70 Stainless 7mm WSM and get her sighted in.

And I just won a 243 at a banquet last night, so I need to get loading gear and shoot her too.
...and there's a travel trailer parked up by the house already!!!
Anybody have any 308 Marlin brass? It looks kinda hard to find....
Posted By: powdr Re: What's Your Next Project ? - 08/12/13
Brother Bart I hope your doing OK. Bart take a look at the 25-35 Improved case and imagine a 270 bullet in it. The 30-30 Improved doesn't give you a good idea of what the case would look like necked down to .277. Easy cases to find and much easier to neck down. 100 gr bullets at 3150 and a good rim for that ole Browning action to grab ahold of. Sexy lookin cartridge and w/our new powders you could make that baby sing. It's custom made for you. powdr
Posted By: powdr Re: What's Your Next Project ? - 08/12/13
OK BB where are you? Did I win? powdr
Next project is to repair the upstairs deck. As I dropped a 50 ft cottonwood on it yesterday : o

Sumbeetch had just stained that deck twice this summer!

Dropped another just like it & a 60 ft spruce right where I wanted them. But in my haste to get the f outa the way of jump back I poked the bar nose through the holding wood before I was thru the holding wood on my side : (

Hate it when that happens

2 outa 3 ain't bad. But it won't get u outa deck repair

After that my next project is gonna be to corral 6-7 cords of firewood for this winter

No rest for the wicked

Bart...i shoot a .25x30-30Ackley in a 15" tube, will probably put together a 22" carbine this fall in the same chambering, 22" lightweight tapered profile.

from left:
[Linked Image]

.25/20
.256win mag
.25 TCU
.25 Classic (.30herret, necked to .25)
.25/35
.25 bullberry
.25 x 30/30 Ackley
.250/3000
.25/06

[Linked Image]

Posted By: rost495 Re: What's Your Next Project ? - 08/12/13
I have about 3 rifles in the safe that have yet to be shot...

But my list for next ones.. 6.5x284 on something, may well be an AR10. 338 federal. 22/06. 25wssm on ar15. Figure out my 7x300 wtby. 338 win mag just cause. Work on a new 270( ugh... never wanted one, but won a ruger that no one locally wants to pay even dealer cost for to buy from us) and a used 700 in 06. Have not shot either.

22-6mm may take the place of the 22/06 though too.

300 whisper I have most parts, working on making time to order a couple of suppressors now that I have a trust drawn up.

always wanted a hornet somethign, but thats not top of the list.

Would like to have the civil war musket I have redone somehow, lined even as a smoothbore, to be a bit more accurate and at least reliable ignition.

And I'd like to have the 1892 in 32-20 lined too for more accuracy but it is fun as a deer rifle as is.

Finish my dedicated 1000 yard AR15 in 223 service upper and start shooting 1000 yards again only, instead of 200-900 I'd like to shoot 1000 only for a while.

Too many projects, not enough time or money.

And then there is the airboat, taht begs for a grass rake, a paint job, new poly, a new reduction and new prop... the new motor has been sitting there for 2-3 years... 496 ready to go... needs fuel injection too. A shame that I can't get that project done for 10,000 dollars though.
Originally Posted by powdr
OK BB where are you? Did I win? powdr

I don't know podwr,that 30/30 case is redily avalible but I'm leaning toward thr Krag case because of the increased case volume.
My .22-6mm with a coyote killed at 30 yds. 55 gr NBT at 4000 fps.
[Linked Image]

Same coyote other side.

[Linked Image]

Another angle.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire