Home
14 Aug, 2013

Procter & Gambel recall Iams and Eukanuba dry dog and cat food. Produced at one plant over a 10 day period.

Link

Lot numbers listed on their site.

Phil
Salmonella is mainly a risk to the humans who handle the food, as dogs (I don't know about cats) are almost completely immune to the disease by the nature of their digestion process.
That is an old "Wives Tale", Salmonellosis effects both dogs and cats, and they in turn can pass it on to humans, not to mention from just handling the stuff and not washing.

Phil
Originally Posted by Greyghost
That is an old "Wifes Tale", Salmonellosis effects both dogs and cats, and they in turn can pass it on to humans, not to mention from just handeling the stuff and not washing.

Phil
Dogs can contract it, but it's highly unlikely due to the rapidity with which food passes through a dog's digestive tract, which is typically too short a period for salmonella to reproduce and then infect.
I had a Chesapeake Bay Retriever once that got salmonella. The vet said there are many different kinds and my dog could still get all the others. Not so? This was 35 years ago.
Thanks for posting. The big bag I bought yesterday was not on the list.

RS
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
I had a Chesapeake Bay Retriever once that got salmonella. The vet said there are many different kinds and my dog could still get all the others. Not so? This was 35 years ago.
It's possible for dogs to contract the disease associated with salmonella, but far less likely than with humans. The more likely problem, however, is that when dogs consume food contaminated with harmful salmonella, they can transmit the disease to humans, even when (as is typical) it's harmless to the dog.
I think it is doubtful they can catch it as well. My dog eats anything he can get in his mouth when we're not looking including raw chicken scraps and he never gets sick. He even eats cat turds out of the cat's litter box if he can get to them.
He even eats cat turds out of the cat's litter box if he can get to them.

laugh
Originally Posted by ColKlink
I think it is doubtful they can catch it as well. My dog eats anything he can get in his mouth when we're not looking including raw chicken scraps and he never gets sick. He even eats cat turds out of the cat's litter box if he can get to them before I do.

fixed

laugh
I think it is doubtful they can catch it as well. My dog eats anything he can get in his mouth when we're not looking including raw chicken scraps and he never gets sick. He even eats cat turds out of the cat's litter box if he can get to them.
My dog thinks chicken crap is a rare delicacy. Fortunately, it's only rarely that any of my chickens jumps the fence enclosing their pasture into her yard and leaves their "gifts" for her.
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
I think it is doubtful they can catch it as well. My dog eats anything he can get in his mouth when we're not looking including raw chicken scraps and he never gets sick. He even eats cat turds out of the cat's litter box if he can get to them before I do.

fixed

laugh
crazy Brilliant.
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt

Salmonella is a bacterial infection. I had not heard that recovering from a bacterial infection would give one any immunity from said infection in the future.

Viral infections often do leave one immune to to that virus strain in the future.
Recalls were never a problem with these foods before they sold out to Proctor and Gamble. Now it seems that at least one of their food lines is going to have problems at least once a year.
Is that perhaps due to P & G having stricter QC standards and better testing??

Many recalls are initiated in house before and without any evidence of harm to the public.
I Don't know anything about Salmonella that except it hurts - BAD.
If I'm not mistaken, some bacterial infections do confer immunity e.g. Tetanus, Diphtheria, pertussis, tuberculosis.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Is that perhaps due to P & G having stricter QC standards and better testing??

Many recalls are initiated in house before and without any evidence of harm to the public.

Exactly the opposite. They try to make the stuff as cheap as possible to make the bottom line look better.
Originally Posted by night_owl
I Don't know anything about Salmonella that except it hurts - BAD.
If I'm not mistaken, some bacterial infections do confer immunity e.g. Tetanus, Diphtheria, pertussis, tuberculosis.
I think those are viral. It is bacterial infections/diseases that can't be treated.
Manydogs, you are ignorant to the the process, and very ignorant to the overly pedantic approach P&G has to protecting its image from having this bad product get out the door. Their quality control used on all their products is top notch, far and above any of its competitors.

fixed

laugh

Holy schit I'm dying here. LMAO
He even eats cat turds out of the cat's litter box if he can get to them.

Canine Tootsie Rolls!!!

(I think it has something to do with intestinal flora)

[Linked Image]
Thanks for posting...I feed one of those to my dogs...gonna go check the bag now...
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

fixed

laugh

Holy schit I'm dying here. LMAO

Me too. Sorry Cross, but you reminded me of two things I hold in high regard: Me, and Grumpy Old Men, the movie.

grin
© 24hourcampfire