Home
Posted By: 5sdad Pancake Observations - 08/15/13
I made pancakes and deer ring bologna for the wife and myself this morning. Sitting there eating, some of the imponderables that I have mulled over for years reappeared.

#1 Do people inhale pancakes through their noses? This first came to light years ago when we would take bus trips to see Twins' games out at the Met in Bloomington. We would stop at the Happy Chef (remember the statue with a spoon held high in one hand while flipping you a low bird with the other? "Be sure and visit my brother in wherever it is you are going...") in Mankato. We would order, our food would arrive, I would make a selection from the syrup caddy, look up, and everyone else's plate would be empty and they would be wiping their mouths with napkins.
#2 Does anyone eat the amount of pancakes that are always pictured on boxes and syrup bottles? Two of them always fill me up, and I am considered to be a hearty eater. The pictures always show this stack of pancakes that you would need a high stool to reach the top of. (Corollary to #2: I have the same question about beer; a couple and I just don't have anymore room inside for added ingestion. Where do people put it?)
#3 Those same illustrations always depict a pat of butter dissolving on top of the stack, with a couple of tablespoons of syrup somehow running off in four paths at 90 degree angles to each other. Does anyone leave a pat of butter to melt on top, can anyone pour syrup onto the butter and have it head off in four precise directions, and most importantly, does anyone eat pancakes with that piddly little bit of syrup?
#4 This one is just put forth in order to incite jihad - why do people insist on calling pancakes such things as hotcakes and flapjacks? wink
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Pancake Observations - 08/15/13
I can see you're deep in thought this mornin, so I'm just gonna give you your space.

Who knows where this leads? Given enough time you may come up with some philosophical breakthroughs! (whistling here)

what the hail did you put in your coffee this a.m. ? (grin)
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Pancake Observations - 08/15/13
While you're in a mood to ponder, can I throw in an inane question that came to me a while back?

Why don't street addresses longer than 3 digits have a comma in them? laugh If you express three thousand of something correctly, it would look like this. $3,000 or 3,000 pounds or 3,000 miles, but when it's 3000 Elm st., Nightmare, USA there's no comma. Why the inconsistency? crazy
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: Pancake Observations - 08/15/13
Dad's way of eating pancakes always intrigued me. He poured a puddle of syrup beside the stack, and scooped-up some of it with his knife blade for each forkful from the stack.

And we always put a pat of butter onto each pancake as we built the stack. On top is for photographs and folks who don't know how to eat pancakes.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Pancake Observations - 08/15/13
5sdad: I love a good pancake!
Notice I said "a" pancake.
Trouble is I can only eat one!
First off I am not much of a breakfast eater at all.
I blame this partly on working the "graveyard" shift for nearly 20 years straight.
I have always only been able to eat ONE pancake no matter what time of day or night it is!
I think they swell up in my much abused stomach somehow and put an immediate end to any hunger pangs I may have had.
I don't know why.
My favorite pancakes are sourdough with either peanut butter or homemade raspberry jam (although the peanut butter is by far my more favorite topping!).
I had NEVER eaten REAL maple syrup on a pancake in my 60+ years of life UNTIL a couple of years ago when Missoula, Montana became host to a Cracker Barrel Restaurant and they served the REAL syrup to me with a wonderful pancake!
It was love at first taste.
Unfortunately it is (real maple syrup) very expensive.
I don't care what they are called I love them - I just wish I could eat more than one.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: I am not a very worldly person - I wonder if pancakes are an American invention?
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Pancake Observations - 08/15/13
Got spoiled growing up, pancakes always made from scratch and served with real maple syrup. I've made them often enough to have the recipe memorized.

2c flour, 5t baking soda, 5t sugar, 2c milk, 1/3c oil, 2 eggs. combine dry ingrediants, combine wet and mix into dry.

2 or 3 do the trick, especially with some bacon or sausage on the side.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Pancake Observations - 08/15/13
Going to try your recipe. Thanks.
Posted By: hatari Re: Pancake Observations - 08/15/13
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

And we always put a pat of butter onto each pancake as we built the stack. On top is for photographs and folks who don't know how to eat pancakes.

THIS is how to do it!
Anybody know how to do a starter for Sourdough pancakes? I love them!
Plenty of recipes, but I usually like to take a small potato and shred it. Mix with 1c flour and 1c water and let stand a few days until it gets bubbly. Every time you remove some starter add equal qty of flour and water and let it set until bubbly. Keep it in the fridge for long term storage, bring up to room temp and repeat every time you use it.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Pancake Observations - 08/15/13
no good can come out of pancake introspection. The question you need to be addressing, is why there is no pure Cane Syrup in your area.
Posted By: Longbob Re: Pancake Observations - 08/15/13
It is pancakes down here. And syrup is pronounced "Sir-up" in our parts.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Pancake Observations - 08/15/13
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Got spoiled growing up, pancakes always made from scratch and served with real maple syrup. I've made them often enough to have the recipe memorized.

2c flour, 5t baking soda, 5t sugar, 2c milk, 1/3c oil, 2 eggs. combine dry ingrediants, combine wet and mix into dry.

Try it with 1/2 to 1 C. whole wheat flour substituted for equal amounts of AP flour. Also add a tablespoon of corn meal.
Posted By: White_Bear Re: Pancake Observations - 08/15/13
I like bacon pancakes.
Fry bacon until close to desired tenderness.
Pour batter over bacon.
Cook until pancake is done.

So so so good.
Pancakes with some of the wild blueberries that I stole from Northern Dave are very high on my list as well.
Originally Posted by ironbender

Try it with 1/2 to 1 C. whole wheat flour substituted for equal amounts of AP flour. Also add a tablespoon of corn meal.

If you're going to go messing with it, put in 1/2c buckwheat and 1 1/2c flour. I've mixed in freshly ground whole wheat, but still prefer it with white flour. Guess it's just one of those childhood memories and whole weat don't do it justice.

I've also made an adaptation of the recipe with oatmeal. Say you're camping and can't keep the eggs cold. Mix up the dry mix in advance and put in 2/3c powdered milk. Mix 1/2c oatmeal with 1/2c boiling water and let it thicken up. Add oatmeal to dry mix and 2c water 1/3c oil.
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Pancake Observations - 08/15/13
King syrup. America's finest table syrup. The only table syrup.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: shaman Re: Pancake Observations - 08/15/13
Originally Posted by hatari

Yes. Get yourself a 1 gallon glass pickle jar.

Use 2 cups of unbleached white flour and 2 cups of luke warm water. Mix in 2 oz of sugar. Pour mix into pickle jar and put in a somewhat warm place. I used to put mine on top of the regurgifreighter.

If all goes well the natural yeasts and lacto-baccillus in the air will find their way into the mix. If not, go to the store and find yourself a sourdough bread mix or some sourdough bread dough or some such thing and inoculate it.

You'll know when its working when the mix bubbles up almost to the top. Let it sit and sour for a few days and then put it in the fridge with a cap on it.

To use, mix well. Add to pancake batter about half-n-half, and let it sit for about and hour at room temperature before pouring on the griddle. Replenish with water, flour, and sugar per above and start over.

Do not ever expose your sourdough to animal protein. If you do, your sourdough will quickly become carnivorous and attempt to kill you at the first opportunity. It likes plain unbleached white flour.

When I moved into my old neighborhood after college, I started a sourdough culture as described and served pancakes every Sunday for whoever showed up. It got to be a pretty big thing-- sometimes 20 people. 15 years later, I had divorced Satan and I realized I had no sourdough starter left. I went down to the old neighborhood and took a piece of wet cheesecloth and rode up and down the street with the cheesecloth draped over an old tennis racket, right in front of my house. When I got home, I made and infusion of what stuck to the cloth. Bingo! I got a starter on the first try.

You can also go on Amazon and find a starter packet.

The shamanic pancakes were about 50-50 sourdough and whole wheat flour. Then I'd add about 25% Buckwheat flour to that. I'd mix in warm water, egg, molasses and honey. Then I'd let it all sit for a while. The yeasties would find the molasses and honey and go to work and I'd have a bubbly light batter when it hit the griddle.

I used the same basic idea on long-distance canoe and backpack excursions. The last batch of pancakes I put down had peanuts thrown in. Those cakes would be handed out as we broke camp for snacking. Half a pancake would usually keep a camper going until lunch.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Pancake Observations - 08/15/13
There is a brand of pancake mix out here (Washington) called Snoqualmie Falls.

Best damn griddle cake I ever had.
Originally Posted by Longbob
It is pancakes down here. And syrup is pronounced "Sir-up" in our parts.

There's another way to pronounce it? wink
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Pancake Observations - 08/15/13
well.. if your family makes a game of intentionally mispronouncing words like mine does...

Then it's pronounced "sye-rupp"

Exactly! On the rare occasion I hear someone mispronounce it the other way it darn near takes away my appetite. Darn near.
Originally Posted by shaman

Yes. Get yourself a 1 gallon glass pickle jar.

Use 2 cups of unbleached white flour and 2 cups of luke warm water. Mix in 2 oz of sugar. Pour mix into pickle jar and put in a somewhat warm place. I used to put mine on top of the regurgifreighter.

If all goes well the natural yeasts and lacto-baccillus in the air will find their way into the mix. If not, go to the store and find yourself a sourdough bread mix or some sourdough bread dough or some such thing and inoculate it.

You'll know when its working when the mix bubbles up almost to the top. Let it sit and sour for a few days and then put it in the fridge with a cap on it.

To use, mix well. Add to pancake batter about half-n-half, and let it sit for about and hour at room temperature before pouring on the griddle. Replenish with water, flour, and sugar per above and start over.

Do not ever expose your sourdough to animal protein. If you do, your sourdough will quickly become carnivorous and attempt to kill you at the first opportunity. It likes plain unbleached white flour.

When I moved into my old neighborhood after college, I started a sourdough culture as described and served pancakes every Sunday for whoever showed up. It got to be a pretty big thing-- sometimes 20 people. 15 years later, I had divorced Satan and I realized I had no sourdough starter left. I went down to the old neighborhood and took a piece of wet cheesecloth and rode up and down the street with the cheesecloth draped over an old tennis racket, right in front of my house. When I got home, I made and infusion of what stuck to the cloth. Bingo! I got a starter on the first try.

You can also go on Amazon and find a starter packet.

The shamanic pancakes were about 50-50 sourdough and whole wheat flour. Then I'd add about 25% Buckwheat flour to that. I'd mix in warm water, egg, molasses and honey. Then I'd let it all sit for a while. The yeasties would find the molasses and honey and go to work and I'd have a bubbly light batter when it hit the griddle.

I used the same basic idea on long-distance canoe and backpack excursions. The last batch of pancakes I put down had peanuts thrown in. Those cakes would be handed out as we broke camp for snacking. Half a pancake would usually keep a camper going until lunch.

This whole thing is great!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
well.. if your family makes a game of intentionally mispronouncing words like mine does...

I think the ones that say "sear-up" also say "cats-up." It causes me to avoid them as much as second hand smoke.

I think the ones that say "sear-up" also say "cats-up." It causes me to avoid them as much as second hand smoke.

They're probably the ones who insist on calling a crick a creek as well.
oh the kat-sup, yeah we don't use that stuff.

But I have had bacon cakes, and I've even had bacon blueberry cakes.

We are pancake ninjas at camp chickenbuck. You show up at our camp at around 10AM during deer season and you will witness the pancake factory. Why the hell do you think I work so hard picking blueberries? lol! It's for pancakes at deer season!

My blueberry pancakes are so heavy on the berries that there's barely enough batter to hold the shoulder to shoulder berries together, lol!

One year fishing in Canada, there was a plethora of blueberries located out the back door of the cabin - almost enough to match up one-for-one with the four-motor mosquitoes located in the same place. Two of us braved the aerial on-slaught and picked a container to incorporate into pancakes. Coming in, in a hurry to keep as many of the invaders outside as possible, I whacked my arm against the 'fridge, sending the blueberries into every crook and nanny in the cabin. I believe that the group effort recovered just about every one of them.
We made some blueberry seerup. Maybe I'll bring some to camp to try on those pan-a-cakes (as my grandpa used to call em)?
You guys are making me hungry.
Posted By: fgold767 Re: Pancake Observations - 08/15/13
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
King syrup. America's finest table syrup. The only table syrup.

[Linked Image]

O k Crow: I've been in the Piedmont for 47 years and have never seen this stuff so share where you get it please!!!!!!!!!!
You like? Thanks.

Now for the rest of the story.

So I'm working at the frozen cheeseburger factory when I realize I don't have any pancake starter to start my new life. I start reading up on it and get ready for the excursion. I mention the plan to the head bacteriologist who promptly blew a gasket. He accused me of wanton disregard for the public safety. To this day I have warning signs in my kitchen that he gave me as a gift to warn my victims.

It turns out my way of doing things worked out just fine. What's more, there's enough of the spores still in my kitchen that I could get a starter going pretty easily if I wanted to. Frankly, that's a lot of work for a stack of flapjacks.

So this bacteriologist tells me that he will buy my whatever starter I want and put it on the company dime just to make sure I don't create a health hazard. He gives me a catalog of cultures-- $70 a sample. I'd need two: a yeast and a lacto-bacillus. It's a symbiotic relationship. You need both to make sourdough work. I get down to reading. This catalog is as thick as a phone book.

Some thing interesting shows up in my research. I find out that all these cultures have two associated uses/sources. One is sourdough bread. The other? Vaginitus. Yes, that's right. Sourdough bread cultures are the same species that you find growing in women's nether-parts. Sourdough bread is Crotch Rot on Toast!!! I felt like pulling a Charlton Heston, running down RT 747 yelling "The Sourdough! It's made from skank!"

Imagine Thag, the caveman, sitting there outside the cave eating his favorite bread. Hag, his wife is back in the cave, slaving over a pair of grinding stones.

"Hag, honey?" He says.

"Yes, dear?" says the wife.

"You know, how much I love you."

"Yes."

"You know you are the first woman I ever hit on the head and dragged off by the hair. "

"Yes."

"You know I love your cooking and all."

"Yes," says Hag, "What is it?" She pulls herself up and sits back on her heals. He has an itch and she scratches it, before going back to work.

"Well," says Thag. "I just wish you could make bread like Mom used to make. I really miss Mom's bread."

"I'm using her recipe." said Hag.

"Well," says Thag. "I wish you could find out her secret. Hers tasted so much. . . tangier. Yours tastes more like fish. I don't like fish." Thag throws the rest of the bread to his dog, who sniffs it a bit and then walks off.

"I'll try, dear." replies Hag. "I'll talk to Aunt Scag. She may know what I'm doing wrong."

I like a little butter on my bacon cake.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Wild berries, can't beat em.

Need to harvest a few gallons of rasberries in the backyard, but just not the same as blueberries on pancakes.

Hmm, might need to see about wandering the hills and getting some wild ones this weekend.

[Linked Image]

Man that looks good, but there is more room on that pancake for butter.
I dug around in the shamanic archives, and I have found the finalists of the 1880 San Francisco Pancake Championships. Notice the placement of the hands of all the contestants. Look at the woman 2nd from left, Annabelle "Itchy" McGowan of Yerba Buena Cove. I think she won first prize.

[Linked Image]

"Miss McGowan's entry was light and fluffy, yet had a commanding flavor, at once both tart and tangy with a gripping finish. The discerning palate detected nodes of elderberry and plum and a hint of aged leather. -- The San Francisco Examiner"

Attractive group of people isn't it? Another thing that would be certain is that the women would be identified as "blonde" in accounts of the day.
Posted By: mathman Re: Pancake Observations - 08/15/13
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I have the same question about beer; a couple and I just don't have anymore room inside for added ingestion. Where do people put it?

It depends on the beer. Some of them are very filling, and may not be the ones you'd expect.

[Linked Image]

Man that looks good, but there is more room on that pancake for butter.

doctors orders.

"cut back on the butter"

Originally Posted by mathman
I have the same question about beer; a couple and I just don't have anymore room inside for added ingestion. Where do people put it?

It depends on the beer. Some of them are very filling, and may not be the ones you'd expect.

I might pick a 6 pack on the way home.

what goes good with welding smoke and grinding dust?

Originally Posted by Ken Howell cook book
�Bare Bones� Sourdough Starter

There are many ways to gin-up your own sourdough starter without using (ugh!) sugar or yeast. Here's one proven way to get the best with the least and the simplest �

BEFORE YOU BEGIN �
Use organic whole-wheat flour (white flour takes longer).
Use unchlorinated water � spring water for authenticity or bottled water for convenience.
Have everything that will touch the starter completely clean (hands especially).

EQUIPMENT �
4-cup glass canning jar or measuring cup or crock
large heavy plastic or wood spoon
plastic wrap

FIRST DAY �
1 cup flour
1 cup water

Stir the flour and the water into a stiff dough. If loose flour appears after 2 minutes, add water drop by drop until all the flour is moist and part of the dough.

Transfer the dough to a glass cup, jar, or crock. Cover tight with plastic wrap.

Set the jar in a cool (65� F) spot.

SECOND DAY �
Look but don�t touch unless streaks of color indicate contamination. There should be no visible change.

THIRD DAY �
Your starter should now look like thick pancake batter, with perhaps a few bubbles on the surface. With a thoroughly clean spoon, take-out half the starter and throw it away or use it as the basis for a duplicate batch.

Stir-in 1 cup of flour and � cup of pure water.

Cover tight again with plastic wrap and set aside for 24 hours. After 12 hours, it may swell and become very bubbly, then collapse.

FOURTH DAY �
Your starter may begin to smell slightly citrusy. Remove about half and throw it away.

Stir-in � cup of flour and � cup of pure water.

Cover loosely (to allow gases to escape) and set aside at room temperature.

FIFTH DAY �
Your starter should have swelled by now to 3-4 cups. If it has not yet formed a dome and then shrunk, throw-out half and replenish with � cup of flour and � cup of pure water.

Repeat this halving and feeding every 24 hours until the starter forms a dome and shrinks. Then remove and discard half and feed the remaining starter with � cup of flour and � cup of pure water.

You should now have about 1 cup of active starter. Cover it with plastic wrap and let it sit at room temperature (about 74� F) for 4 hours or until it has almost doubled.

You can now feed it again to get ready to bake with it, or refrigerate it overnight and feed it the next day. If you know that you won�t be using it for the next several days, feed it again, let it sit 1 hour to double, then refrigerate it.

AS TIME GOES BY �
Your starter will mature for the next several weeks, gaining strength and flavor. It may give-off a variety of odors � citrus, cheese, apple, and (when fully mature) fresh paint.

For the first 2 weeks, store at least a cup of it and feed it at least 3 times a week.

After 2 weeks of regular feedings (1� cups of flour, 1 cup of water or � cup of flour, � cup of water) to at least double it, pour-off half when the jar or crock gets full (at least 3 times a week).

Your starter is now fully mature and will make your sourdough breadstuffs mellow and complex. You can now feed it once a week if you don�t bake with it more than once a week. All you need to store is enough for 1 or 2 loaves plus enough (about � cup) to start the next batch of rolls, loaf bread, biscuit, pancake, or other bread or cake dough or batter.

Another way? Later!

Sourdough buckwheats? Later!
Posted By: WranglerJohn Re: Pancake Observations - 08/15/13
My father, ever scared by his experience as a chef, would make up a scratch batch of batter, then add a can of minced clams, juice and all to it - yes that's right - clam flavored pancakes. At first blush such a combination sounds as appetizing as licking the edge of a toilet seat, but even for my tender palate the combination with butter and maple syrup was quite good. Yet they were best with jelly. When mother's homemade current or blueberry jelly ran out I liked using Welch's Concord Grape Fruit-of-the-Vine Jam that contained chunks of Concord Grapes. You spread it with a broad dinner knife, knowing that the sweet grape flavor made the clam medley even better. Those were the days before jelly came in squeeze bottles or plastic jars, it came packaged in glass jars where the empty jar could be added to the cupboard for re-purposing as drinking glasses, sharing a place beside all those empty dried chipped beef jars.

Clam pancakes were far more pleasurable than dad's chili con carne, which he spiced with small round dried Chile Tepin bombs strung and counted on a string so a missing chili could be searched for. I don't know what the other larger chiles were at the beginning of the string, but one never touched them and rubbed his mouth afterward. Even the dog would whimper as dad's chili passed through. Some things are better remembered than experienced.

When I married a lady of Flemish extraction, pancakes became Belgium waffles, and of course we indulged in French Toast, until age caught up with the ability to burn off such large does of pleasure. Can't remember the last pancake I ate, maybe it was some time before microwave ovens and frozen toaster waffles, it is a time to be remembered. Sadly the joys of youth become the cautions of age, yet if I recall, I have all the makings in the pantry. What temptation there is in memories.

I might pick a 6 pack on the way home.

what goes good with welding smoke and grinding dust?

1/2 face respirator.

Gotta love the black snots after breathing that crap.

I remember that one of the chief entertainments of my Sunday pancake breakfasts was that I would fit a plastic lid over the sourdough starter when I put it up on top the fridge.

Some time about 11 AM or so there would be a crowd of people around the table and the lid would blow off the top of the pickle jar and we'd all look to see the bubbly mass making an escape attempt , nearly making it to the top of the jar. That pop was a good loud one too-- a sign the sourdough was healthy.

We called it The Pancake Heresy, because most folks that showed up were not the type inclined to regular church attendance. I found however, that we could usually get some pretty heavy discussions going. Somebody remarked one day that it was a bit like church, except pancakes and syrup were being substituted for the normal bread and wine of the Eucharist. The name stuck.

Posted By: Bulletbutt Re: Pancake Observations - 08/15/13
This is a happy thread. I like happy threads. I like this thread.

Especially the picture of the man-size pat of butter on the pancake...my idea of a buttered pancake there.
I don't really know that pairing, but I'd pick a Czech pilsner since they're still pretty good even when they're consumed too cold. I'm thinking super cold will be a virtue in this circumstance. Given extreme cold, I could also slum a Yuengling, a High Life or a 60's formula Schlitz. grin
Ken, that procedure of yours sounds better than mine.

You're dead right on one thing: when fully mature and done feeding the culture smells just like latex paint.
My wife likes to slather her pancakes with sour cream. Not bad, and not nearly as off putting clamcakes shocked
There's no substitute for pure ribbon-cane syrup � not sorghum molasses, not cane syrup cut with corn syrup. I've bought the real stuff from two places �

� Steen's in Louisiana �
http://www.steensyrup.com/

� Fain's in Texas �
http://www.fainshoney.com/ribbonCaneSyrup1.asp
What about his experience as a chef frightened him?
Guys - this is getting cruel. I have a craving for pancakes right now that is immense!

Starting the sourdough starter tonight.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Pancake Observations - 08/15/13
Northern_dave: I am pretty sure its pronounced "ketch-up"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Pancake Observations - 08/15/13
As long as i have some peanut butter to go on them,i don't care what they are called.

And dark syrup of some kind.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

It most certainly is.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

It most certainly is.

Agreement from the other end of the Mississippi.
Guys - this is getting cruel. I have a craving for pancakes right now that is immense!

Starting the sourdough starter tonight.

You mean my sourdough story didn't turn you off?

Dang, you are one sick puppy.

Actually, I could go for a stack myself right now.

Sourdough Buckwheat Pancakes

1 cup sourdough starter
1 cup wheat flour
1 cup buckwheat flour
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 Tbs bacon drippings or oil
1 Tbs sugar
� tsp salt
1 Tbs baking powder

Mix the starter, the milk, and the wheat flour the night before you plan to make pancakes (in the winter, as much as 24 hours ahead).

On �pancake morning,� return one cup of the soured sponge to your sourdough crock, to keep your starter alive.

Add the buckwheat flour, the eggs, the oil, and the milk to the remaining batter. Mix thoroughly.

In a separate container, mix the sugar, the salt, and the baking soda. Pour this mix over the batter and fold-in gently. Add a little water if the batter is too dense to pour easily.

Let it rest five to ten minutes.

Pour puddles onto a hot griddle.

Fry 'em.

(You know how to handle the rest of the routine, I hope!)
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Pancake Observations - 08/15/13
I only eat two flap jacks, but they're plate size. smile

Gunner
Guys, until you've topped your sourdough buckwheats with huckleberry syrup or huckleberry jam, you have no idea what breakfast in Heaven should be like!

I like cane syrup, I like maple syrup, I like strawberry syrup, and I like blueberry syrup � but huckleberry syrup is 'way too tasty to waste on kings, queens, and angels!
NHK9 put a jug of real Vermont Maple syrup in my mitts at the boar hunt, that stuff is pure gold. wink

Gunner
A salesman that did a lot of business with the company for which my father was an operations manager used to send us a can of real maple syrup every year. A big can with a handle like this:

[Linked Image]
Dang good stuff ain't it. grin

Gunner
Pop loved that stuff, and he loved Steen's cane syrup too.

There's a meat market around here making a fresh sausage laced with a little Steen's. It actually goes nicely in a brown gravy that a friend makes with it and some spicy meatballs as well.
The last maple syrup that I had was a big jug of yum! from Canada.
The maple George gave me packs quite the 'wallop,' I'm not used to eating goods that sweet, Wifey had to gingerly warm it in a pan of water on the stove top, thinkin it tried to crystal-ize.....Gotta eat it mo faster next time. grin

Gunner
Pop loved that stuff, and he loved Steen's cane syrup too.

I generally put Wifeys homemade jams on my flapjacks, wild plum, apple butter, blackberry and peach are all outstanding, you best have some work lined up in advance though......BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ that stuff lights me up. LOL

Gunner
Pop and I used to melt butter, then we'd stir in about as much honey as the butter could take and still solidify once chilled again. Good stuff.
10-fo Neighba, sounds very good. wink

Gunner
Posted By: joken2 Re: Pancake Observations - 08/15/13
I never much cared for it myself but my wife and her dad liked to mix some whole kernel corn in their pancake batter.
I prefer my pancakes and waffles plain with butter and syrup and/or with fruit as a topping instead of incorporated into the batter.

Growing up there was almost always a bottle of Bob White or Brer Rabbit Syrup or molasses on the kitchen table or in a cabinet at my home as well as relatives homes.
If we were out of syrup mom would sometimes cook up a batch of homemade syrup out of regular sugar, water and maybe add a little flavoring extract.
� and of course plenty of crisp lean bacon.
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt

Won't last.

"Happy" and "Campfire" don't mix.

Gotta have t�ts, ass, or arguments.
Posted By: eyeball Re: Pancake Observations - 08/15/13
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner

I can't believe you would call them flap jacks - crude. grin

PS. Does anyone ever put honey on their flapjacks (or hot cakes)?
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Pancake Observations - 08/15/13

Won't last.

8 pages might suggest other wise...
But sense you had to bring it up....... whistle
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

Won't last.

8 pages suggests other wise...

And since you had the sense to respond �

laugh
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Pancake Observations - 08/15/13
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

Won't last.

8 pages suggests other wise...

And since you had the sense to respond �

laugh

grin
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Pancake Observations - 08/15/13
PANCAKES AND PREJUDICE

"Little Black Sambo" - First published in London in 1899, this classic tale by Helen Bannerman tells the story of a little boy named Sambo who encounters four hunger tigers, outwits them, and turns them into butter, before returning safely home to eat a 169 pancakes for his supper.

There was a new restaurant on the waterfront across from the beach and only a block from the pier. It was called Sambo�s and they made the best �Pan Cakes� you have ever eaten.

These pancakes were huge. They filled the whole plate. Pilled high with a round scoop of real butter melting on top. There were small glass pitchers of real maple and raspberry syrups. On another plate were the two eggs, Steve always had his �over easy�, four strips of thick bacon, or sausage, a huge mound of hash browns cooked on the grill just right and real thick yellow bread called �Texas Toast�. Steve loved to eat there and it became a regular hangout when Steve got older and moved onto a boat in the harbor near by.

There were story pictures of Little Black Sambo and a lion painted on the walls. There was a little story that went along with the pictures. Little Black Sambo had removed a thorn from the lion�s foot and they became friends. Well, that�s the short of it anyway.

The restaurant was very popular and soon there were Sambo�s everywhere. In fact, a Sambo�s could be found all across the nation. Franchising was just becoming the way to put in about ten years of hard work and retire. There was a training school in the town just to the south. Complete with a major kitchen and classrooms. The restaurant chain even had its own trucking line and cattle ranches and meat packing houses.

Sambo�s was very successful. Franchises that started out at a very low price were now very expensive. A lot of people made good money becoming a manager/owner. You could own up to fifty-percent of the business and even buy as much as five percent of other Sambo�s franchises, but there was a limit on how many you could invest in or something. But you could sell your shares of the one you owned at a profit and keep the shares of the ones that you invested in and then retire, still bringing you an income after you quit. I think McDonald�s started the trend, but franchising was hot.

Steve�s dad knew the owners. It was two men his father had gone to school with or something. Their names were Battistone and Battastemie. The story goes that one man, Battistone had the idea and Battastemie put up the ten grand to get it started. Steve recalled having dinner at both their homes and even a Christmas at one of them. Steve forgot which one. But he remembered seeing all the very expensive presents around a tree too big to fit in his house. Including a car that had an electric motor that you could actually drive.

Not everything stays the same. What you can do in one part of the country is not acceptable in another. Education levels weren�t the same everywhere and some people are just down right stupid by Steve�s way of thinking.

Now the only reason I brought that up is because it was one thing that seemed to Steve to be the hardest to understand.

The nation was going through some very big changes. One of which was �equality�. Sambo�s had gone through a lot of changes too, including the pancake. It later became a �dollar cake� and there was enough room to put the three strips of bacon, or sausage, and eggs on the same plate next to the small pile of hash browns, along with three pieces of regular thin bread, toasted and cut in half.

But they did keep the ten-cent cup of coffee. While coffee prices were going elsewhere for twenty-five and fifty cents, and you had to pay for any re-fills. Sambo�s advertised the �bottomless ten cent cup�. They didn�t even charge for re-fills. And if you brought in your Sambo�s Thermos, they would poor hot water into it to pre-heat it and then fill it full with coffee for only a dime and it didn�t make a difference which one you went to, they all did it.

Another change was the walls no longer carried the tale of Little Black Sambo and how doing �good� for someone can turn enemies into friends.

As racial tension mounted in the south, business were being accused of prejudice in hiring practices. Sambo�s was one of them. Some of it may have been true in the South. But Steve never saw it where he went.

People in the south were offended by the name �Little Black Sambo� and claimed it showed that the chain was indeed prejudice. Sambo�s lost its day in court and was closed down.

Steve figured that was the most stupid thing he had ever heard of. Sambo was never �Black� like Africans; he was an Indian from India, complete with a turban on his head. And the tail of Sambo helping the Lion had nothing to do with putting down black people struggling for equality. It was an Indian proverb, from India.

Steve never could understand prejudice. All of his young life his parents introduced him to every kind of nationality you could think of. He had dinners and Christmases at different people�s homes and there were the people at church and it seemed to Steve that everybody was just that, everybody; and everybody was different.

They ate different foods and some had meals at a different time of the day. His neighbors on Islay Street, where he burned down their fence, they eat their dinner at noon.

Tacos at one home, spaghetti at another and sausages at yet another and some wouldn�t eat meat on Friday. Steve figured he understood that, he wouldn�t eat peas.

Steve had met Playboy Bunnies, Private Detectives and Secret Service Police in his parent�s own kitchen, and movie stars ate at the same places he did; like Sambo�s.

Fess Parker ate at Sambo�s a lot. He would come in early in the morning and have breakfast before going out to his boat for a trip out on the water. He seemed to Steve to be a very normal and an exceptionally kind man. He was always polite and willing to share a conversation. And he didn�t get up-set when someone would interrupt his meal and ask for an autograph. Can you imagine how annoying that could be? Steve never asked him for an autograph, but he always wished he had.

Oh. Of-course. Sorry for that. Should have told you who he was the first time his name was mentioned when telling you about Steve�s Grandfather and the oranges Steve would devour. It figures you wouldn�t know who he was. He was before your time for sure.

Fess Parker was an actor that played a television series for Disney Pictures called �Davy Crocket�. He did some movies too. Or maybe it was he did the movies and then Disney put them on the TV later. It�s hard to actually recall. It�s easy to forget, as you get older. No. He did the movies and then Disney put them on the TV. Yup, that�s it.

Anyway, people were always just people to Steve. Each was establishing his or her terms by how they treated others when you dealt with them one-on-one. And Steve met a lot of famous people when he was growing up. Not all of them famous when he met them, but some of them produced or had a hand in many projects that later became part of our culture. Like �Jesus Christ Supper Star� and �Hair�. People were just people. Some of them very nice and some of them Steve would make a point of staying away from.
Used to really like the Sambo's in Ames.

I have some old 16mm cartoon films that dad had back when I was a kid. One of them is "Little Black Sambo".
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Pancake Observations - 08/15/13
There's no substitute for pure ribbon-cane syrup � not sorghum molasses, not cane syrup cut with corn syrup. I've bought the real stuff from two places �

� Steen's in Louisiana �

� Fain's in Texas �

I can't remember if it was Cane Syrup or Sorghum Molasses, but my Grandfather ate Pancakes every day of his life. He used a syrup called "Brrr Rabbit" that came in an old silver metal can. It was a little bit bitter as I remember. Of, course that was over 45 years ago. Any of y'all remember that syrup ?
My Grandmother always started cooking them at 4:30am for him at the farm, along with about a pound of fresh bacon. She always called her pancakes "hotcakes" & Grandad called them "Flapjacks".
It was one heck of a great smell to wake up to on the ranch when I was a kid & spent the summer with them. Will always be one of my favorite childhood memories!
Posted By: eyeball Re: Pancake Observations - 08/16/13
Once a teacher.... wink grin
Posted By: hatari Re: Pancake Observations - 08/16/13
Damn near had pancakes foe dinner tonight. You can bet you know what I'm eatin' for breakfast!!

Oh, and is it OK on the Campfire to argue over which chick with the nice knockers is making the pancakes??
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Pancake Observations - 08/16/13
Originally Posted by eyeball
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner

I can't believe you would call them flap jacks - crude. grin

PS. Does anyone ever put honey on their flapjacks (or hot cakes)?

BUHLEEVE IT, and yes. grin

Gunner
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: Pancake Observations - 08/16/13
One Sunday afternoon in 1959, the husband of a friend brought me (us) a cake for our timber-cruising crew �

a sourdough devils-food cake, made with a starter that dated back to the gold rush.

It was without compare far and away the most delicious devils-food cake that I've ever eaten.

Like a fool, I never thought to ask Mrs J for her recipe. Like any other 28-year-old, I majored in eagerly convertin' such goodies to inedible lumps.

Some day, I may get around to figurin' it out � but by paralyzing my throat, my stroke pretty thoroughly eviscerated the incentive.

I reckon that omitting the yeast and substituting a cup of starter for a cup of the flour would be a good way to begin experimenting.
"State of Vermont" it says on the can. Hmmmmmm!

I heard somewhere, years ago, that the Vermont government is pretty persnickety about maintaining the quality of its maple syrup.

High standards, I'm sure. No cutting with corn syrup.

Does the state own a monopoly on its maple syrup?
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Pancake Observations - 08/16/13
"State of Vermont" ... Does the state own a Monopoly on its maple syrup?

Only on Vermont Avenue. smile
Posted By: mathman Re: Pancake Observations - 08/16/13
I don't know Vermont's syrup particulars. The picture is borrowed, I was just remembering the style of the can.
Enough talk, tome to eat!!!

[Linked Image]
Enough talk, time to eat!

Oh! If I only could!
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Pancake Observations - 08/16/13
Best pancake: Dutch Baby

[Linked Image]

At the best pancake place: The Origional Pancake House
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Pancake Observations - 08/16/13
My wife likes to slather her pancakes with sour cream. Not bad, and not nearly as off putting clamcakes shocked

My Texas Grandmother always made apricot-pineapple jam. That, with real butter on EVERY layer was some damn good eatin as a young kid.
I believe Brrr Rabbit molasses is still available out here, bottled with a yellow label i think.
Clamcakes? sick Maybe it is better than it sounds, but I won't be making any to try.
Haven't seen a Sambos since the mid seventies. Had a quite few in the towns around central California and down south too. Was good food as I remember.
Posted By: Darrel Re: Pancake Observations - 08/16/13
Dad's way of eating pancakes always intrigued me. He poured a puddle of syrup beside the stack, and scooped-up some of it with his knife blade for each forkful from the stack.

EXACTLY the way I've done it since being a kid but I always drowned the stack with syrup, too! Had to have butter between them or you didn't get it on all of them!!
One Sunday afternoon in 1959, the husband of a friend brought me (us) a cake for our timber-cruising crew � a sourdough devils-food cake, made with a starter that dated back to the gold rush. It was without compare far and away the most delicious devils-food cake that I've ever eaten.

Like a fool, I never thought to ask Mrs J for her recipe. Like any other 28-year-old, I majored in eagerly convertin' such goodies to inedible lumps. Some day, I may get around to figurin' it out � but by paralyzing my throat, my stroke pretty thoroughly eviscerated the incentive.

I reckon that omitting the yeast and substituting a cup of starter for a cup of the flour would be a good way to begin experimenting.

Just pulled-up my recipe for devil's-food cake and modified it for a stab at a sourdough version � in case anybody wants to give it a shot.

(Be prepared for disappointing results!)
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: Pancake Observations - 08/16/13
Originally Posted by MadMooner
There is a brand of pancake mix out here (Washington) called Snoqualmie Falls.

Best damn griddle cake I ever had.

We have the in-laws bring us out some every time they come out to visit. Best stuff around!
Posted By: EdM Re: Pancake Observations - 08/16/13
Could never touch a sweet pancake my dear Mother and I. Good ol' Dad would make us bacon layered waffles the two of us would eat with salt and pepper. Sister, brother and Dad the sweet pancakes, Mom and I not. Mother Teresa she was...
One Sunday afternoon in 1959, the husband of a friend brought me (us) a cake for our timber-cruising crew � a sourdough devils-food cake, made with a starter that dated back to the gold rush. It was without compare far and away the most delicious devils-food cake that I've ever eaten.

Like a fool, I never thought to ask Mrs J for her recipe. Like any other 28-year-old, I majored in eagerly convertin' such goodies to inedible lumps. Some day, I may get around to figurin' it out � but by paralyzing my throat, my stroke pretty thoroughly eviscerated the incentive.

Just pulled-up my recipe for devil's-food cake and modified it for a stab at a sourdough version � in case anybody wants to give it a shot.

Pass it along, devil's food and sourdough, can't be too bad no matter who's baking it.
Posted By: brilite Re: Pancake Observations - 08/17/13
I like buckwheat pancakes. If I want a lighter pancake I cut the buckwheat mix with a multigrain mix, about 60/40. Butter on each pancake with maple syrup.
For waffles, I melt the butter in with the Vermont maple syrup because it's the only way I can get butter into each of the little waffle squares.
Posted By: Longbob Re: Pancake Observations - 08/17/13
Originally Posted by brilite
I like buckwheat pancakes. If I want a lighter pancake I cut the buckwheat mix with a multigrain mix, about 60/40. Butter on each pancake with maple syrup.
For waffles, I melt the butter in with the Vermont maple syrup because it's the only way I can get butter into each of the little waffle squares.

A man has got to have standards.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Pancake Observations - 08/17/13
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

� Steen's in Louisiana �

� Fain's in Texas �

I can't remember if it was Cane Syrup or Sorghum Molasses, but my Grandfather ate Pancakes every day of his life. He used a syrup called "Brrr Rabbit" that came in an old silver metal can. It was a little bit bitter as I remember. Of, course that was over 45 years ago. Any of y'all remember that syrup ? . . .

It was molasses. I remember it and didn't much care for it.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Pancake Observations - 08/17/13
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

� Steen's in Louisiana �

� Fain's in Texas �

I can't remember if it was Cane Syrup or Sorghum Molasses, but my Grandfather ate Pancakes every day of his life. He used a syrup called "Brrr Rabbit" that came in an old silver metal can. It was a little bit bitter as I remember. Of, course that was over 45 years ago. Any of y'all remember that syrup ? . . .

It was molasses. I remember it and didn't much care for it.

Yep it wasn't my favorite. I always preffered the cheap ole Aunt Jemimah, my self.
Back when the bottle looked like an old black "Mammie"
I would bet its not very "Politically Correct" nowadays. cool
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: Pancake Observations - 08/17/13

Pass it along, devil's food and sourdough, can't be too bad no matter who's baking it.

OK, FWIW, give this a try and let me know how it oughta be modified �
Sourdough Devil�s-food Cake (first try � to be developed)

Ingredients

� nonstick spray
� 1 cup boiling water
� 4 oz Dutch-process cocoa
� 10� oz dark brown sugar
� 4 oz all-purpose flour
� 4 oz cake flour
� 1 cup sourdough starter
� � tsp kosher salt
� 1 cup vegetable oil
� 4� oz sour cream, at room temperature
� 2 large whole eggs, at room temperature
� 2 large egg yolks, at room temperature

Set a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat it to 325� F.

Spray a 9x13-inch metal pan with nonstick spray and line it with parchment paper so that the paper hangs over the sides of the pan. Spray the paper with nonstick spray and set the pan aside for now.

Whisk the boiling water and the cocoa powder together in a small bowl and set it aside.

Combine the sugar, the flours, the sourdough starter, and the salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.

Stir a cup of flour and a cup of water into your sourdough starter and set it back wherever you keep it.

Whisk the oil, the sour cream, the eggs, and the egg yolks in a large vessel that you can pour this mixture out of.

Add the oil mixture to the cocoa-and-water mixture and slowly whisk it to combine all the ingredients.

With the mixer on low speed, add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture over 30 seconds. Continue to beat it on low speed for another 30 seconds. Stop the mixer and scrape-down the sides of the bowl. Continue to beat the mixture on low speed until the batter is smooth (10�15 seconds).

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and let it set long enough (15�30 minutes) to let the sourdough pervade it.

Bake the batter until the cake springs back when you press it (30�35 minutes).

Cool the cake in the pan on a rack for 30 minutes, then remove the cake from the pan and cool it completely before you frost it (about an hour).

Chocolate Frosting

� 5� oz unsalted butter, at room temperature
� 1 oz mayonnaise
� 3 oz semi-sweet chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
� 8 oz powdered sugar
� pinch kosher salt

Beat the butter and the mayonnaise in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, on high, until it�s light and fluffy (3�4 minutes). With the mixer on low, slowly add the melted chocolate. Continue mixing on low speed until all of the chocolate is incorporated, stopping to scrape-down the sides of the bowl as you need to.

Turn the mixer off and add a third of the sugar. Mix this on low to combine it, stopping to scrape-down the sides of the bowl. Repeat until all of the sugar has been incorporated. Add the salt and continue to beat until the frosting is smooth and lightens slightly in color (2�3 minutes).

Use the frosting immediately or store it in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to four hours, or refrigerate it for up to a week. Bring chilled frosting to room temperature before you spread it on the cake.
Posted By: zimhunter Re: Pancake Observations - 08/17/13
My favorite place for Pancakes is 'Pappy's' on Prince in Tucson Az. A short stack is ONE pancake. Pancakes are served on a large Pizza Pan and completely fill it. On top of the size they are super good,cooked to perfection and then liberally painted (they have a pot of melted butter and a paint brush at the waitresses station) with butter. Good syrup but would be really good with molasses or maple syrup. Preferably some 'Blue Ribbon' from my home in Mississippi or some maple syrup from near where I lived in Ohio.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Pancake Observations - 08/17/13
I'm not drunk enough to start proselytizing about pancakes. Yet. Gimme' a few, and I'll weigh in with my thoughts on them, and maybe waffles too...
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: Pancake Observations - 08/17/13
I'm for easy don't think you can beat buttermilk Krusteaz made with whole milk,teaspoon of vanilla extract and lots of eggs.Added fresh picked wild Canadian blue berries from the hill behind our fish camp on Lake of the Woods.These little jewels have intense flavor unlike their commercial counterparts.. absolutely Delish !! wink

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Pancake Observations - 08/17/13
Around here, if it ain't maple, it ain't syrup.

We do it all from scratch at our house, buttermilk pancakes, yeast-leavened buckwheat pancakes, buttermilk waffles, or (the boys' favorite) yeast leavened waffles mixed up the night before and allowed to percolate in the refrigerator overnight...get up in the morning, warm up the waffle iron and let 'er rip.
Posted By: wadevb1 Re: Pancake Observations - 08/17/13
[Linked Image]

Wild berries, can't beat em.

Twenty pounds in the freezer and another five pounds in the bowl ready for freezer bags. I have plenty more to pick.

Love BB pancakes.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hatari Re: Pancake Observations - 08/18/13
Dude!!!
Posted By: Penobscot_99 Re: Pancake Observations - 08/18/13
OT
Potato pancakes
© 24hourcampfire