Home
http://beforeitsnews.com/alternativ...cite-extractor-issues-video-2739198.html
Sigs or Glocks.
Sig.
Glock.
Officers in the North Carolina Highway Patrol are talking about getting rid of some of their duty handguns, specifically their Smith & Wesson M&P pistols in .357 SIG.
Smith M&P's according to the video in the link.

Our local city PD evaluated the M&P's in 40 and 9mm a couple of years ago. Had similar issues and ended up replacing their ancient 5906's with G-17's. A lot of officers wanted 40's to replace the 9's they have been carrying. A friend on the evaluation team told me the decision to stay with 9mm was primarily because "we had a buttload of 9mm ammo in stock".
Originally Posted by shreck
Officers in the North Carolina Highway Patrol are talking about getting rid of some of their duty handguns, specifically their Smith & Wesson M&P pistols in .357 SIG.

Why I posted Glock.

They wouldn't be having the same concerns if the skipped the M&P.
Originally Posted by wadevb1

Why I posted Glock.

They wouldn't be having the same concerns if the skipped the M&P.

Ok, I was a bit confused, but I'm used to that now. grin
Just get Glocks & keep the booger hook off of the bang switch until they're ready to fire. Simpler is betterer, especially under duress.

You came into this world confused & you will leave this world confused.

Mike
The possum cops here in Kentucky switched from the M&P to the Glocks in .40 a couple of years ago. I overheard a couple of them talking at a shooting range one day, and they were fussing about the M&Ps breakage problems.
They never said WHAT parts were breaking, but that it was a problem they had from the git-go.
The Glocks aren't any better in .357 Sig. The New Mexico State Police traded in their G31's because the frames were cracking at the trigger block pin.
I guess I'll just stick with my 229. Boring reliability.....

George
S & W Military and Police a piece of [bleep]! You get what you pay for if your lucky. Buy a POS and its always a POS.

But hay its only your life and it was as cheap a double action gun as they could find.
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
The possum cops here in Kentucky switched from the M&P to the Glocks in .40 a couple of years ago. I overheard a couple of them talking at a shooting range one day, and they were fussing about the M&Ps breakage problems.
They never said WHAT parts were breaking, but that it was a problem they had from the git-go.

Yep, they had a short lived affair with the Smith and Wesson. They are having grief with their new Gen 4 Glocks rusting now.

How are the SIGs holding up?
Saw a county mounty today that appeared to be carrying an older Wilson CQB, standing next to his partner with a Glock. Was weird, didn't know our local allowed the 1911.
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV

I can't advise Dave. I have very little experience with the .357 Sig in a Sig Pistol.

No bad feedback from those that have them around here. I have several pards working at the Sig Academy that wouldnt pull punches where reliability is concerned.

George
I know of one NC Sheriff's Department that went to the 1911 .45 because of reliability issues with the M&P
Just for argument sake, Glock 9mm pistols are rated for +P+ ammunition and handle it quite well. Winchester RA9TA 127 grain +P+ ammunition departs the muzzle of a G17 in excess of 1,300 fps, which is quite close to real world .357 Sig velocities.

S&W specifically advises against the use of +P+ ammunition in it's 9mm pistols.

Some major departments have standardized on the G17 loaded with RA9TA +P+. I'm certain that Glock would take North Carolina's conglomeration of pistols in trade and make them an incredible deal on the G17. There is some value to a standard issue sidearm. The G26 (or G19) handles the same +P+round extremely well for plainclothes, off duty and BUG use. Those weapons will, in a pinch, use G17 magazines.

No one is going to "stop" a car with a handgun anyway. Maybe a 7.62 rifle or an RPG, but not a handgun. Handguns are defensive anti-personnel weapons. A 9mm+P+ fulfills that role nicely.

Originally Posted by 6mm250

You came into this world confused & you will leave this world confused.

Mike

No doubt about it. Like I said, I'm used to it. Spending thirty minutes looking for my wallet is just one of those things I do. Daily.
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
The Glocks aren't any better in .357 Sig. The New Mexico State Police traded in their G31's because the frames were cracking at the trigger block pin.

I know a Glock armorer for a large department that issued the Glock 31 to its officers. He reports no problems other than the cost of ammo.
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
Just for argument sake, Glock 9mm pistols are rated for +P+ ammunition and handle it quite well.

I shot scores of +p+ Federal rounds through my issued G19 without a single problem, or anyone else within the department.

We traded them out for the G22 five years later.
NC had 229s in 40 cal. I know several troopers that were pissed when they had to turn them in. They were trouble free but the new recruits qualified better with the 357 sig round and S/W made them an offer they couldn't refuse.
I have a Sig 226 in .357 sig, I've probably ran 2k rounds through it, it's reliable, accurate, and fits my hand great. No problems with it, other than the ammo is rare and expensive.
Thanks for the replies.
The only down side with SIGs is the price and bean counters make the call too many times. Money isn't everything when it's "you bet your azz" but the bean counters are making the bets and covering them with someone else's azz. The upside with SIGs is you take them out of the box and use them. wink
Originally Posted by SEdge
NC had 229s in 40 cal. I know several troopers that were pissed when they had to turn them in. They were trouble free but the new recruits qualified better with the 357 sig round and S/W made them an offer they couldn't refuse.

Yep, but they Sigs were 357 sig also and they had the DAK trigger and outstanding shooters. They were only issued for a couple years when they decided to switch to the M&P. Might have had something to do with Smith making a sweet package deal with there M&P pistol and AR whistle
My next purchase in the handgun category will be a Sig 220. Helluva gun and easy to shoot well.
Wake up!
Mr. Browning solved all those issues with his model 1911.

Jim
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
My next purchase in the handgun category will be a Sig 220. Helluva gun and easy to shoot well.

Good choice. I like mine. I had a stainless Combat Commander. Sold it and bought the SIG and never looked back.
Always wanted one of these:

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by dsink

Yep, but they Sigs were 357 sig also and they had the DAK trigger and outstanding shooters. They were only issued for a couple years when they decided to switch to the M&P. Might have had something to do with Smith making a sweet package deal with there M&P pistol and AR whistle

Yea I forgot they were 357 not 40. I think they had Beretta 96s for a while after the 92s.
Originally Posted by teal

[Linked Image]

What's the anchor for, spot you tie the rope?

Yea I forgot they were 357 not 40. I think they had Beretta 96s for a while after the 92s.

Yep, your right. They went from the 92 to the 96 to the Beretta Cougar. Never could figure out the Cougar move but they were not around for long before the switch to the Sig.
With that many sidearm changes, their firearms training staff couldn't have been getting much sleep.
Originally Posted by teal

[Linked Image]

What's the anchor for, spot you tie the rope?

It's to denote the "Navy" edition. Supposed to be the same pistol supplied to the Teams.
Texas State Troopers were the first large LE Agency in the Nation to use the .357sig Caliber as a duty weapon. They began packing Sig Sauer .226 in .357sig about 18 years ago. I know several of their Firearms Instructors and the Range Master and as far as I know, they have never had a cracked frame with their Sigs. Texas Troopers usually shoot over 6000 even before they Graduate from the Academy.
They switched to the Sig 229 DAK models about 10 years ago. Still a .357sig, but a better LE Trigger.
Most of the Troopers I know carry a .Glock .33 or .32 in .357sig for a off duty or BUG. Texas Rangers are also issued the Sig 229 DAK in .357sig, although the few old school Texas Rangers still on duty usually pack a 1911 in good ole 45acp cool
CHP carry the 4006

[Linked Image]

CA State parks switched to the M&P, Game Warden's carry Glocks, and I saw a Indian Affair LEO carrying a 1911.

Yep, one of my good friends is NC State Trooper and he said the sweet deal from S&W was why they were getting them. He WAS pissed about getting rid of his Sig 229. In fact, he said he actually thought fondly of his old Beretta 92FS, perhaps because he once successfully used it to dispatch a criminal who had tackled him and was trying to grab it. Two rounds of 9mm will send an amped-up thug to the morgue.

Yep, they had a short lived affair with the Smith and Wesson. They are having grief with their new Gen 4 Glocks rusting now.

Being cops, they probably never clean their own service weapon and there sure isn't much to rust on a Glock anyway! I've got three and never had a bit of a problem and most certainly having a hell of a time getting the polymer parts to corrode.

Being cops, they have their pistols hanging in a holster on gunbelts in all manner of weather conditions. Being the fish and wildlife type, they spend quite a bit of time on the lake as well and for some reason, irregardless of their maintenance regimen, they are experiencing rust on Generation 4 Glock pistols.

You have three and have had no problem. They have a thousand or so in the field and they have had problems.

By the way, I made no reference to polymer parts corroding.
I'm really impressed with Eezox for corrosion protection. I carry my LCP in a pocket holster and even with me sweating rust hasn't shown up.
Being cops, they have their pistols hanging in a holster on gunbelts in all manner of weather conditions. Being the fish and wildlife type, they spend quite a bit of time on the lake as well and for some reason, irregardless of their maintenance regimen, they are experiencing rust on Generation 4 Glock pistols.

You have three and have had no problem. They have a thousand or so in the field and they have had problems.

Since there are 120 counties in Kentucky, and one "possum cop" per county, and perhaps a couple of water patrol officers for the lakes, how can KDFWR have 1000 Gen IV Glocks afield?

Also, no such word as "irregardless".

By the way, I am a former KDFWR biologist.
Time was the NCSHP carried a REAL 357

[Linked Image]

Mike
Originally Posted by KyWindageII

Since there are 120 counties in Kentucky, and one "possum cop" per county, and perhaps a couple of water patrol officers for the lakes, how can KDFWR have 1000 Gen IV Glocks afield?

I made the mistake of figuring your numbers on KSP numbers. If I were overly generous, I'll beg your pardon. That being the case, the chances of getting a Glock that will rust is even greater, since the KDFWR sample is remarkably smaller than I originally and mistakenly posted.

Also, to say that there is no such word as Irregardless is not quite true. Several online dictionaries have the word listed as "not standard" and probably a blend of regardless and irrespective.

While I would probably not have gone out on a limb to use that word in a doctorate thesis, I figured it would float here around the campfire.
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Time was the NCSHP carried a REAL 357

[Linked Image]

Mike

I love that revolver.
You have to remember that a Leo puts on his weapon 5 to 7 days a week and wears it in all types of weather, a lot are not gunnies, so yea that they sometimes have rust problems. There is a small town near me named Bunn the chief of police was in the local hang out and you could see his S/W 10 and I would bet hat it would not fire or turn to the next chamber.
Originally Posted by arkypete
Wake up!
Mr. Browning solved all those issues with his model 1911.

Jim

Yep, I concur, especially the ones chambered in 10mm.
There are some fine, well informed comments here.

I recently bought a Glock .40 S&W on the Fire. I believe that I may buy a .357 Sig barrel for it to extend its options. Neat cartridge.
Never been a fan of a bottleneck pistol round anyway...
creates a problem that didn't exist..
Did Glock change their finish, being there is a rust issue. I recall my gen 1 model 20 and model 21, and gen 2 model 23 had a copper like colored grease/lube on some parts.
Glock has stopped using tenifer. I don't know what kind of treatment they are using these days, but it isn't as resistant to rust as tenifer.

By the way, I'm guessing you already knew it, but the black finish on a Glock slide is not Tenifer. Tenifer was actually under the black finish.

The copper lube that Glock holds so dear is still in use.
When did they stop using Tenifer.
Glock has stopped using tenifer. I don't know what kind of treatment they are using these days, but it isn't as resistant to rust as tenifer.

By the way, I'm guessing you already knew it, but the black finish on a Glock slide is not Tenifer. Tenifer was actually under the black finish.

I guess I'll stick with my gen 3's I've had for several years. I was considering selling them and buying myself a set of gen 4's.

Welcome to "every LE agency/department USA."

Travis
Originally Posted by viking
When did they stop using Tenifer.

I haven't talked to anyone who could get a straight answer from Glock on that. My Armorer certification has expired, so I haven't had a chance to find out for myself.

I'd say anything with USA stamped on the slide has very little chance of having Tenifer. Those I would definitely stay away from.

4th Generation guns are suspect in my opinion, regardless of the country on the slide.

Originally Posted by garyh9900

I guess I'll stick with my gen 3's I've had for several years. I was considering selling them and buying myself a set of gen 4's.

If I had a set of Gen 3 guns that were working for me, I'd keep them over the Gen 4's.
We just switched to G 31 357 sigs about two months ago. Ive probably shot mine more than anyone else. Ive put probably 2,000 rounds through mine with no problems so far. As far as the " cops dont clean their own gun comment". That ahows just how much of a turd eating retard you are. One of the FIRST things we wree taught during the firearms block of the academy was proper, frequent and routine firearms maintenence. Mine gets cleaned once a week whether it needs it or not. Duty ammo gets replaced about every 6 weeks and magazines get taken apart and cleaned at the same intervals. The only complaint I have had is that the TFO sights we switched to. Havent held up. I lost the tritium bar from mu front sight during a range session. So I spent my own money and bought some trijicons. Problem solved.
I think bottle necked rounds are great for autos, they feed slicker than owl poop.
I've been thinking awfully hard about picking up a KKM barrel for my G35 that will shoot .357 Sig. A 5 inch tube ought to squeak out all the juice you can get from the cartridge.

It'd definitely not be a high volume shooter though.
Originally Posted by KyWindageII

It is a word just non-standard.

According to the Oxford English Dictionary (OED), Irregardless was first acknowledged in 1912 by the Wentworth American Dialect Dictionary as originating from western Indiana,[2] though the word was in use in South Carolina before Indiana became a territory. [1] The usage dispute over irregardless was such that, in 1923, Literary Digest published an article titled "Is There Such a Word as Irregardless in the English Language?". The OED goes on to explain the word is primarily a North American colloquialism.[
Let him alone, 007. He's a former KDFWR biologist. wink
I kove biologists. I remember about a decade or so ago when the NY DEC biologists and con. Officers got all upset about a few bass guides going to a an island that was a cormorant rookery and, shooting a few hundred of them and smashing a couple thousand eggs. The state prosecuted the fellas and convicted them of felony charges. Then a coupke of months later the "educated" biologists. Did the same damned thing
© 24hourcampfire