Home
Posted By: fzo This is why I bowhunt! - 08/19/13
This is a great message to rep that feeling/passion for bowhunting.

http://huntervids.com/videos/the-challenge-sitka-films/
Posted By: 257James Re: This is why I bowhunt! - 08/19/13
Nice video clip.........nothing like a stick and string.
Good video. It's why I hung up the pulley's and picked up a long bow.
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: This is why I bowhunt! - 08/19/13
Shrill and Low

The Grey Goose Shaft Sings

Song of the Bow

Song of the String

�Old English Ballad
Wonderful vid.

Traditional bowhunting has really taken off. Fred Bear would be proud.
Posted By: rost495 Re: This is why I bowhunt! - 08/19/13
Interesting to preach dropping the compound for the simplicity of the recurve. But modern stands, game cameras are used.

I'm not at all judging, just chuckling sometimes.

My nephew builds his own bows, and makes his own stone heads at this point and is getting deeper and deeper into real traditional stuff.

I"ve been the whole circle except for stone heads myself. I missed one deer with a stone head and have not tried since.

Just don't have time to dedicate to the bows lately. Hopefully that will change, but if it doesn't, there were almost 30 good years of bows already.

Well filmed video.
The only thing that matters is the distance between the bow and the target. All the other modern conveniences are window dressing. They don' t make the shot. The hunter draws the bow, the bow does the work and the arrow covers the distance and you win or lose.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: This is why I bowhunt! - 08/19/13
Exactly, which I why I rifle hunt. Just as challenging and thrilling as bowhunting without having to put up with bow hunters.
Oh, but by then, the bow hunters have all the nice heads!
Posted By: Steelhead Re: This is why I bowhunt! - 08/19/13
Best head I've ever had was from a bow hunter's wife.
Interesting to preach dropping the compound for the simplicity of the recurve. But modern stands, game cameras are used.

He didn't preach a thing, quite the opposite in fact.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Best head I've ever had was from a bow hunter's wife.

Some guys pay for it and some don't. If you have the extra money, why not.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

He didn't preach a thing, quite the opposite in fact.

As I recall he said this is why I went to a recurve or some such.

Don't mistake teh fact that I get what he is saying.

But he is advertising to be traditional when he is only really a small part of traditional.
Posted By: Hoyt Re: This is why I bowhunt! - 08/19/13
Me too... [Linked Image]
Hoyt, that's a gorgeous bow! Another reason trad is king. Wood bows carry like feathers in the woods.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: This is why I bowhunt! - 08/19/13
think I'll try a spear, this year...
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

Thats been on my list for a long time now. Who knows if I"ll get to it though.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: This is why I bowhunt! - 08/19/13
I hunt 'em with cinder blocks! A REAL challenge! Climb up above a trail....and get situated such that when the deer walks under your perch.....drop the cinder block! Good idea however is to use masking tape over the holes in the block so it doesn't 'whistle' on the way down!! Some cinder blocks have better BCs than others so one has to be rather particular about which blocks are chosen.
My Ex-Father in law took one with a spear about 40 years ago from a stand in a tree. The spear was essentially a shaft with an arrow inserted in a hole bored at the tip of the shaft. The arrow had a typical broadhead. The shaft was about 7 feet long. I recall he left about 24 or so inches of arrow shaft exposed. It was designed so the arrow would stay and the shaft would remain behind when the animal ran. Worked quite well...but just once to prove it could be done.

No atl-atl arrangement. Just thrown.
Posted By: Darrel Re: This is why I bowhunt! - 08/19/13
Life is too damn short to chase ammo!
Posted By: RiesigJay Re: This is why I bowhunt! - 08/20/13
Originally Posted by RMulhern
I hunt 'em with cinder blocks! A REAL challenge! Climb up above a trail....and get situated such that when the deer walks under your perch.....drop the cinder block! Good idea however is to use masking tape over the holes in the block so it doesn't 'whistle' on the way down!! Some cinder blocks have better BCs than others so one has to be rather particular about which blocks are chosen.

I've been looking but I can't find G7 B.C.'s for my favorite line of cinder bricks. Know of any resources?
Posted By: BrentD Re: This is why I bowhunt! - 08/20/13

Not legal here. Nor adladls.
Posted By: rost495 Re: This is why I bowhunt! - 08/20/13
Spears might not be legal here in TX either, not sure. I hear they are not in some states.

Sometimes the government just makes too damn many rules.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: This is why I bowhunt! - 08/20/13
I can keep 2 inside a 10" circle at 60 yards. I know, they don't have feather vanes so they aren't really traditional, but I'm taking a deer with one this year.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rost495 Re: This is why I bowhunt! - 08/20/13
Field tips are not legal.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: This is why I bowhunt! - 08/20/13
I have Zwickey's on them.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I can keep 2 inside a 10" circle at 60 yards. I know, they don't have feather vanes so they aren't really traditional, but I'm taking a deer with one this year.

[Linked Image]

Better practice the triple S dude - those are highly illegal weapons. Besides, rifle hunting can be just as challenging wink

http://mentalfloss.com/article/31176/how-one-dad-got-lawn-darts-banned
This guy blows the shot, but gets his elk.
Posted By: eyeball Re: This is why I bowhunt! - 08/20/13
I've been seeing a female patient routinely for about 25 years. I first saw her at the age of 5 after her brother had thrown one of those lawn darts high in the air and it came down and buried about 3-4 inches deep in the top of her skull and into the anterior aspect of her brain.

I don't know how she was able to have survived it with the medical care available at that time. Now, she has the mental capability of a 6 year old and has severe optic nerve damage and reduced vision in one eye and moderate in the opposite.

For those with kids, take precautions with those and kids bows.
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: This is why I bowhunt! - 08/20/13
Originally Posted by BrentD

Where in the hell is �here?� You list eight states� smile

Atlatl�s are finally legal in Missouri.

As well they should be. There were the preferred weapon of the old time hunters in this area.

I�m talking�real old time hunters�about 10,000 years ago.

These old timers were real big game hunters, nothing like us modern so-called big game hunting pretenders.

This guys hunted mastodons.
Bowsinger

It's said they "over hunted" mastodons.

Posted By: slumlord Re: This is why I bowhunt! - 08/20/13
So, is it still traditional with your 600lb hopper full of shelled corn slinging it out 360 from your Cabelas Cornshooter9000 and ambushing the deer that visit it predictably same time daily, from the only trail they've ever used?

gmafb
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: This is why I bowhunt! - 08/20/13
That is the story they tell over at Missouri Mastodon state park.

Standing and looking up at the skeleton of one of these mastodons, I cannot imagine what kind of guts it took to take on these giants with a couple pieces of wood
They didn't have to hunt them. They just taught them tricks for their pre-historic circuses.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: This is why I bowhunt! - 08/20/13
Originally Posted by BrentD

Ahem! that was TIC. I'm too short to chuck spears smile

One of the spots I inherited this year actually does have a well positioned tree stand. I need to look at it and decide if I will use it for bow or just pistol. I haven't shot a bow in ~18-20 years, and never have shot at game with them.

And this tree stand is not much more than a narrow ladder & small step. No way you could stride and throw a spear. I'll have to invest in a safety harness too, probably.
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
That is the story they tell over at Missouri Mastodon state park.

Standing and looking up at the skeleton of one of these mastodons, I cannot imagine what kind of guts it took to take on these giants with a couple pieces of wood

Actually, I read a while back that human skeletons from that period have a much elevated frequency of broken and healed arms and legs - among the men anyway. It was hazardous work I suspect.

I'll have to invest in a safety harness too, probably.

No probably about it. Really
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: This is why I bowhunt! - 08/20/13
It's only about 10 feet high. But yeah fall off the wrong way, it would be bad news.
It's only about 10 feet high. But yeah fall off the wrong way, it would be bad news.

Falling off the "right way" would be pretty bad news too.
© 24hourcampfire