Home
My wife and I build it from the basement up in 2006. We have a raging fire that has traveled over 6 miles to get here, but we were evacuated with enough notice to get the important stuff, but that is about it. I left town for work jsut before the family was pushed out.

We designed, drew, planned and built it ourselves. It was a bit more than we needed, but our three kids love the lifestyle that it affords us, including hunting, trapping, fort building, etc. The kids are going to be tough to console if it goes. Any advice is welcome.

Lots of blood and sweat went into it, and it kills me to think it may go up in smoke tonight. We do live in a small valley off the highway, quiet, timbered ridges, nice valley floor.

Any prayers are welcome, not only for me, but the 50 other homes as well. My neighbors are good people, and are just as stressed out.

The heck of it is I am on the other side of Montana. The fire is in Lolo, MT (Lolo Complex) so you can take a look online. I live in Sleeman Gulch.

Regards,

Shortside
Prayers are with you brother.
Prayers sent.

Good Luck and God bless.
Sending prayers for all of you.

May God be with you and Bless you All....
Prayers sent. My family was in the same boat not too long ago in MT and everything worked out. I pray the same is in store for your family.
Praying for you and your household right now.

Prayers out to ya. That would suck. A lot. But be happy your family is safe. Wood and bricks can be replaced.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Could not have said it any better.....prayers sent.....
Originally Posted by shortside
My wife and I build it from the basement up in 2006. We have a raging fire that has traveled over 6 miles to get here, but we were evacuated with enough notice to get the important stuff, but that is about it. I left town for work jsut before the family was pushed out.

We designed, drew, planned and built it ourselves. It was a bit more than we needed, but our three kids love the lifestyle that it affords us, including hunting, trapping, fort building, etc. The kids are going to be tough to console if it goes. Any advice is welcome.

Lots of blood and sweat went into it, and it kills me to think it may go up in smoke tonight. We do live in a small valley off the highway, quiet, timbered ridges, nice valley floor.

Any prayers are welcome, not only for me, but the 50 other homes as well. My neighbors are good people, and are just as stressed out.

The heck of it is I am on the other side of Montana. The fire is in Lolo, MT (Lolo Complex) so you can take a look online. I live in Sleeman Gulch.

Regards,

Shortside
Sorry to hear it. Prayers and sympathy.
praying
Shortside,

Very much hope you are wrong and the fire is either brought under control or the wind changes..

Glad your family are safe and will keep my fingers crossed for the rest.

Regards,

Peter
Praying for a good outcome! For what it's worth my sister lost her place to a fire years ago, they rebuilt, and moved on. It was terrible, but houses can be replaced loved ones cannot.
Prayers sent from Minnesota, brother. We ain't exactly right around the corner, but if you need a place to stay, don't be afraid to contact me. If the house does go, let me know what the kids need to give them a little stability. A favorite toy if they're younger, a CD player-whatever. Just say the word and it's on it's way.

Hang tough and trust in the Lord.
Prayers from here too. Hoping that the fire misses you by some chance.

My parents are in Lincoln, MT. I worry about them every fire season.
I sure hope you come home to a place that's untouched by that fire.. It's been a bad season for this stuff.

Let us know what happened when you can..
Hope your house is spared, Shortside. Glad to hear that you, your family and some important belongings were saved.
You and all out there have mine.
hoping for a positive update
Prayers!
Originally Posted by KFWA
hoping for a positive update

+ a whole bunch. Wishing you the best of luck.
Prayers on the way. Keep us posted.
Nasty thing to go thru. Hope it turns out good for you. We went thru the same thing in June and are still getting over it even if our home didn't burn. The fire was stopped 400 yards away.
Prayers sent. Wish I could send some of this rain out west to y'all.
Prayers for a happy ending are on the way.

Bob
I am very sorry to hear of this. Prayers from N.C. to you and the others in the area.
Good luck and stay safe

Tom
As long as the family is safe and the insurance is paid...you're good! Trust me on this one.
Prayers on the way
Shprtside,

I understand what you are going through. We lost our home last June in the Colorado high park fire. We had been working on it for at lest 10 years and had it about perfect when it burned. We had about 2-3 hours notice and got some important stuff out. but in the panic to get out, a lot of stuff that was left behind that we could have gotten out. It was a cat and mouse game for two days as the fire burned all around the house, we thought we might have made it and the wind switched and got it one the morning of the third day. It was totally destroyed...nothing left so be prepared as best you can.

fortunately we had good insurance so we were able to rebuild. We will be moving into our new house in October. All said it is a lot to go through but at least no one was lost.(one of our neighbors refused to leave and she burned with her house.)

Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Lefty C

Thoughts and prayers from Iowa.
Hang in there brother.

Scary deal for sure, hoping today is OK.

Do what you can but don't risk your life trying, your kids need you more than they need the house.
God Bless, Shortside.

Gunner
Prayers sent.
least you prepared in what way you could and evac'd

unlike the [bleep] in nawlins who were shining they wheels and scratchin muhdiks when katrina flushed their toilet for em.

hope you're intact upon update
Hoping for the best for you.
Originally Posted by slumlord
least you prepared in what way you could and evac'd

unlike the [bleep] in nawlins who were shining they wheels and scratchin muhdiks when katrina flushed their toilet for em.

hope you're intact upon update

You got that right!!
I wept when I read this--got evacuated in '99 but the house was spared. Another fire got it in 2005. It ain't a fun thing to go thru.
In the last 40 years I have never lived in a house that I didn't build with my own 2 hands. Even with insurance your house ain't something thats easy to replace. It helped me some to realize that no loss of life occured.
Praying for ya--the worst part is that period of time when you just don't know.
The drive down to LoLo along Hwy. 12 is beautiful. Damn.
Thinking good thoughts for you and the neighbors.
Prayers from Oregon.
prayer sent.
Prayers on the way.

Keep us posted.
The good news is only 5 houses have been lost in this fire so far, with 4 of them being confirmed from monday. So here's to hoping that the OP wasn't the 1 house that burned yesterday. I am hoping the best for everyone west of here. The smoke from this fire has been filling to Helena valley every night this week making sleeping difficult and tough breathing, so you know it's a pretty bad fire.
Prayers from Florida Sir.
you have our prayers for a good outcome shortside.

we were worried about losin our cabin two years ago due to wildfire, took the day off and went and dropped 17 big white spruce trees anywhere from 5 ft. to 15 yards away from the structure. No fire insurance out there, unaffordable.

DNR had crews deployed with pumps in the creeks and rivers and sprinklers all around the cabins in our vicinity, am hopin they have a similar set up for you folks.
We had a similar threat this past Friday with a sagebrush fueled wildfire on public ground about a mile west of us. The agencies unleashed everything available and had it stomped out near sunset. Fortunate on the timing as the wind kicked up and did a 90 degree turn right toward town about then.

Unless they are overwhelmed by a huge fire, they typically put a lot of resources into defending structures. Good luck,
Good luck, usually if you have a defensible area around the house they will work hard to protect it. They can put retardant around the house and station a engine on it. My son was deployed to Yellowstone with one of the local fire trucks Monday, if your fire gets much worse he might be sent your direction.
I'm all for us praying he stays safe.
Hoping for the best for you. It's tough to think about what could happen, but I see on the inci-web site' structure protection is the number one priority. It helps to know the fire fighters will give your house the very best chance they can.

This is a really bad year for fires in the west. Lightning strikes are pushing the resources against these fires to the limit. Fall rains and snow can't come quick enough in most places.
Prayers sent.
Prayers sent and wish you the best.
Will be praying. Wildfires are wild thats for sure. YOu never know.

I've seen houses that should be gone, still there and vice versa so don't give up or stop praying.

But be thankful you got out and had some time, the house can be replaced.

We went to a call last night where something was lost that can never be replaced. A life.
Any word tonight?

Regards,

Shortside

SS,

You and others built in a fire prone forest in the middle of a well-known world record drought resulting in record timber lack-of moisture content cuz you still want your semi-privacy and you think it won't happen to you. Example....the Colorado Springs-Black Forest folks.........with 500 homes lost.

The rest of us gotta live in a concrete jungle non-forested area if we wanna not take the chance.

You gambled knowingly........and ya lost. Nut up.

Quit yer whining now.
Kindness can often be too rare a commodity.
Originally Posted by StripBuckHunter

SS,

You and others built in a fire prone forest in the middle of a well-known world record drought resulting in record timber lack-of moisture content cuz you still want your semi-privacy and you think it won't happen to you. Example....the Colorado Springs-Black Forest folks.........with 500 homes lost.

The rest of us gotta live in a concrete jungle non-forested area if we wanna not take the chance.

Quit yer whining now.

What the [bleep] is wrong with you?

Regards,

Shortside

SS,

Quit yer whining now.

The Flagstaff drunk is back.
Originally Posted by Stush

SS,

Quit yer whining now.

Uuummmmmm........born into a family where cry baby rich folk just don't get sympathy.
StripBuck, you are simply out of line. And not even close to realistic. If we did away with every homesite that might be at risk in a fire, then we must also do away with every homesite that might be at risk to earthquake (most of California all the way to Seattle and even a huge chunk of Missouri), and then all the places that might flood (far too numerous to mention), all the places that are prone to hurricanes (From TX to FL to ME), and then all of the country in tornado country.

What is left is basically Duluth. And frankly there are already too many people up there.

Friggin' idiot. Meanwhile the silence from Shortside is ominous. I suppose he might not even know one way or the other at this point.
Just when I thought I had things rough...

Sincere prayers and earnest well wishes, OP...
Very classy...not.

SS,

Quit yer whining now.

Uuummmmmm........born into a family where cry baby rich folk just don't get sympathy.

I was born into one that leaves douchebags such as your self walking around picking up their teeth. I do appreciate you making it easy to ignore you though..

Carry on and have a nice night.
Wow, hope things go well. Prayers and good thoughts for you
Originally Posted by BrentD
StripBuck, you are simply out of line. And not even close to realistic. If we did away with every homesite that might be at risk in a fire, then we must also do away with every homesite that might be at risk to earthquake (most of California all the way to Seattle and even a huge chunk of Missouri), and then all the places that might flood (far too numerous to mention), all the places that are prone to hurricanes (From TX to FL to ME), and then all of the country in tornado country.

What is left is basically Duluth. And frankly there are already too many people up there.

Friggin' idiot. Meanwhile the silence from Shortside is ominous. I suppose he might not even know one way or the other at this point.

Why in the world would somebody build along a known and scientifically documented earthquake fault...............or a flood zone.........or along the coast..........and then whine and want sympathy when the inevitable happens?

Please explain to me this twisted, perverse logic.

Regards,

Shortside

SS,

Quit yer whining now.

I'm nearly speechless. You are a thoughtless rude basturd and have just made my ignore list.
Pop some more pills on top of your bottle of booze.

Why in the world would somebody build along a known and scientifically documented earthquake fault...............or a flood zone.........or along the coast..........and then whine and want sympathy when the inevitable happens?

You mean whine like this Chris?

Lots of smoke in Flag tonite. Wind plus smoke plus dust and pollen = Me and many others are pukin sick due to pollen allergies.

Get that fawker put out now, please.

Originally Posted by kend

Regards,

Shortside

SS,

Quit yer whining now.

I'm nearly speechless. You are a thoughtless rude basturd and have just made my ignore list.

Actually Kend,

So just how much rural lifestyle, brushinesss and native trees.........does yer home occupy right now?

The word is 'heartless'. Except in this particular case........it should be posted as 'intolerance'.
Originally Posted by SLM

You mean whine like this Chris?

Lots of smoke in Flag tonite. Wind plus smoke plus dust and pollen = Me and many others are pukin sick due to pollen allergies.

Get that fawker put out now, please.

Actually.......I couldn't figure out how to post the SARCASM icon that night. Consequently......some could construe that post seriously..........instead of me trying to identify (sarcasticly) the most illigitimate reason to spend resources and to jeopardize human lives........putting out a fire just to save unoccupied weekend homes for rich people. Plus my allergies.....LOL.
You're a classic example of a sleazy, scum sucking, slime trail leaving, terminally pathetic, and COWARDLY dirtbag, and as well malevolent, hostile troll.

You make filthy wharf rats, and the sons of diseased whores look like exemplary companions, mister, and are not going to fare well here in this sight.

Go suck start a revolver.

Better yet, hang yourself off a bridge.

GTC

CF,

Please try to learn how to let the feelings out. Its not good to bottle stuff like this up inside....

wink
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
You're a classic example of a sleazy, scum sucking, slime trail leaving, terminally pathetic, and COWARDLY dirtbag, and as well malevolent, hostile troll.

You make filthy wharf rats, and the sons of diseased whores look like exemplary companions, mister, and are not going to fare well here in this sight.

Go suck start a revolver.

Better yet, hang yourself off a bridge.

GTC

Dang CFO,

Still doin' Crown Royal? Or maybe Yukon Jack?? Or will you actually get Americanized one of these days and get on the Wild Turkey American Loyalty Program (WTALP)?
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Kindness can often be too rare a commodity.

Agreed. Though it's free and thoughtful, some just can't seem to afford it.
I don't even want you to go the old fashioned way by suck starting a glock. I wish you would trip on a firehose and land face down on a axe, and I hope it dosent kill instantly. Your a special version of sorry mother [bleep].
shortside,

I hope you, as well as your neighbors, took the necessary precautions with defensible space, etc. etc.

I fought a fire in Sleeman Gulch in 1989, tough place to defend and a tough place to fight a fire. I doubt its gotten any better with even more homes now.

I'm pulling for you, hoping for the best for you and the family...hang in there.

SS,

Quit yer whining now.

The Internet truly brings out the skunks.

Wonder if you would be quite as mouthy if shortside or someone else who just lost their home to a fire were standing in front of you.

Somehow I really doubt it you spineless coward.
I never comment on these threads. Now I remember why- Thanks, SBH. I have a smartphone traffic app- I can find some traffic for you to play in before bedtime. Douchenozzle.

To the OP, my thoughts are with you and yours, and we are all hoping your home makes it out of this alright.

Regards,

Shortside

Prayers up...how you all doing?
Geez Dudes,

Am I gonna begin receiving death threats via PM's again?

Last time I checked...this is the USA.......with equal freedom for all. If you all are allowed to post your opinions.....then so am I, right??? Otherwise........this is PutinVille, or a country ruled by Pol Pot, or Stalin, or Deng Xiaoping, or any number of the Middle East rulers presently in the news every day.

I get to disagree with you in America!!! Put down your hooch and get over it.

Regards,

Shortside

SS,

Quit yer whining now.

Here's hoping shortside gets a chance to knock your teeth out, a$$whipe.
Geez Dudes,

Am I gonna begin receiving death threats via PM's again?

Last time I checked...this is the USA.......with equal freedom for all. If you all are allowed to post your opinions.....then so am I, right??? Otherwise........this is PutinVille, or a country ruled by Pol Pot, or Stalin, or Deng Xiaoping, or any number of the Middle East rulers presently in the news every day.

I get to disagree with you in America!!! Put down your hooch and get over it.

Waaah, waaah, waaah! Freedom of speech works both ways. You wanna flap your lips in an offensive and inappropriate manner, best expect that someone with decent manners might want to fatten them for you.
That's harsh dude.

Gunner
Cry-babies have been building their trophy homes in inappropriate places all over the west since the riots and earthquake in SoCal in the early 1990's.

Then they want the local residents who grew up here and have struggled to make a living here since birth to pay taxes in order to protect their humble abodes and belongings from Mother Nature............when it was all obvious beforehand.

This just doesn't get it with me. And spare me your phony Christian prayers and such.

Folks who think their rich built burned down homes lead to a different, higher amount of suffering are spoiled brats. Those of you who support them are the same.
And you know the OP built a trophy home how?
Cry-babies have been building their trophy homes in inappropriate places all over the west since the riots and earthquake in SoCal in the early 1990's.

Then they want the local residents who grew up here and have struggled to make a living here since birth to pay taxes in order to protect their humble abodes and belongings from Mother Nature............when it was all obvious beforehand.

This just doesn't get it with me. And spare me your phony Christian prayers and such.

Folks who think their rich built burned down homes lead to a different, higher amount of suffering are spoiled brats. Those of you who support them are the same.

That's some pretty SICK text right there.

Go with the Glock, you demented, diseased, hate spewing loser.

GTC

Cuz if he was a native of Western Montana he would already know better.
My farm is surrounded with trees, and hell, I built and bought in tornader alley, I'm not looking for sympathy, and will give a hand up to all those in need.

Gunner
Well, it's obvious that somebody is jealous....
Karma can be a bitch..

Right near one of the worlds largest volcano's that's long overdue for an eruption....

Pot, meet kettle...
I'm pretty sure the OP is from Helena.

My mom (in the Bitterroot) told me about that fire tonight. It's supposed to be getting close to the Axmen S of Missoula. There's a lot of houses near there.

Good luck Matt.
Originally Posted by HugAJackass

Right near one of the worlds largest volcano's that's long overdue for an eruption....

Pot, meet kettle...

Hugga,

Are you talking about Yellerstone?

Bullshittt. You know nothing of the sort.

There are plenty of natives here who build in tough areas.

You've shown your real color, GREEN. You are nothing but an envious piece of [bleep]. Your rant is nothing more than pure asss jealousy.
I mean, how stupid could one be to live on a planet that occasionally gets wiped out by astroids!?

That's not a tragedy! That's asking for it....crazy

Pot, meet kettle...

I wasn't gonna say it, but thanks. laugh laugh

Gunner
Well, it's obvious that somebody is jealous....

Seems to be a trend from him. I thought he was an ass hole from over on the math thread where this gem came from, but this thread removed all doubt.

IMHO....surveyors = wannabe engineers......every last one of them. Okay, almost. Many flunked out of engineering school and had to choose second fiddle, which leads to their ego problem. This is quite common. This also comes from me witnessing soooo many of them starting their own firms (and finding some loser engineer as a partner) so that they can illegally practice engineering by preparing plans and engineering documents......and nobody can stop them. They want to produce plans and I've even seen them stamp them in incredible acts of ego, even tho not enough of them get reported to the state BTR's. They beech and piss and moan about civil engineer incompetence.........but then they wanna be one. Totally inexplicably hypocritical beyond belief.

Hugga,

Yup, you must be asking for it if you live in this region....

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Tarkio

You've shown your real color, GREEN. You are nothing but an envious piece of [bleep]. Your rant is nothing more than pure asss jealousy.

No envy here Studly. Also....and this is important to this debate............NOT GREEN HERE!!!

Also..............got significant cash here to allow me to build my own western house-in-a-dangerous-rural area...........and to whine like a pussy when it gets mudslided off the mountain. I'll whine here and you guys can reimburse me..............okay?
Me thinks he doth protest too much...
Another good blast radius model....

[Linked Image]

No envy here Studly. Also....and this is important to this debate............NOT GREEN HERE!!!

Also..............got significant cash here to allow me to build my own western house-in-a-dangerous-rural area...........and to whine like a pussy when it gets mudslided off the mountain. I'll whine here and you guys can reimburse me..............okay?

No, not "Okay"

You ph*ck around with guys here like this in person, you'll need alla' your cash for reconstructive surgeries and dental implants, cornholer.

GTC

[Linked Image]

Dang HUGGA,

Is that Cody in the crosshairs? Is that the Proud Cut Saloon and their TERRIFIC steaks and whiskey there? If sooooooo......I'm heading up right now.

Pot, meet kettle...

Hugga,

I might point out that you live in a volcanic area...perhaps the next eruption will occur right under your house...

Again, bullshittt.

I say this because your post:

Whining about struggling along to pay taxes and hammering rich people. You are pretty transparent and a sad little man (I think). What a miserable existence it must be to have one's whole life revolve around tearing others down and revelling in their disasters because that is the only way you can boost your own pathetic ego.
I'd say that's the Yellowstone super-caldera.

Sycamore

Again, bullshittt.

Whining about struggling along to pay taxes and hammering rich people. You are pretty transparent and a sad little man (I think). What a miserable existence it must be to have one's whole life revolve around tearing others down and revelling in their disasters because that is the only way you can boost your own pathetic ego.

He says all that as he is sucking off the government tit.

No, not "Okay"

You ph*ck around with guys here like this in person, you'll need alla' your cash for reconstructive surgeries and dental implants, cornholer.

GTC

CFO,

Your online threats are a felony here in Arizona. I've told you this before. This time I mean it.

[Linked Image]

Dang HUGGA,

Is that Cody in the crosshairs? Is that the Proud Cut Saloon and their TERRIFIC steaks and whiskey there? If sooooooo......I'm heading up right now.

The point is simple. Everyplace on the planet faces nature, and nature is brutal from time to time. No place is spared from natural disasters.
Originally Posted by Sycamore
I'd say that's the Yellowstone super-caldera.

Sycamore

And she's a dirty rotten bad bitch.

Gunner
A close second in the damage to this Country that Obama has caused...

Again, bullshittt.

Got my own cash....but enjoy representing local folks who don't. It's a dang hard life in small-town Rocky Mountains. Gotta eat sheet to live here. Most are terrific people who don't whine when their home gets demo'd by a tornado.......which is rare but evidently happens.
A close second in the damage to this Country that Obama has caused...

Yes, and that fool ain't done yet. mad

Gunner
Originally Posted by heavywalker

Again, bullshittt.

He says all that as he is sucking off the government tit.

Told you all about this on the other thread HW hypocrite. Now put down the hooch.

No, not "Okay"

GTC

CFO,

Your online threats are a felony here in Arizona. I've told you this before. This time I mean it.

Your the azzwhole who trashed the thread about our lost firefighters not so long ago, aren't ya' ?

That wasn't a threat, that was an ASSURANCE of a CLEARLY INEVITABLE outcome,you whacked out head case. do you actually THINK ( or whatever jerky, surreal, demented, and chaotic activity taking place in your head passes for such ) that speaking like you do face to face with most members here would not see you in deep chit ?

If so, You've clearly done all of your traveling in your Mom's basement. Recommend that you stay there, boyo.

Now SHOO, ya' goddam pest !

GTC

No, not "Okay"

GTC

CFO,

Your the azzwhole who trashed the thread about our lost firefighters not so long ago, aren't ya' ?

That wasn't a threat, that was an ASSURANCE of a CLEARLY INEVITABLE outcome,you whacked out head case. do you actually THINK ( or whatever jerky, surreal, demented, and chaotic activity taking place in your head passes for such ) that speaking like you do face to face with most members here would not see you in deep chit ?

If so, You've clearly done all of your traveling in your Mom's basement. Recommend that you stay there, boyo.

Now SHOO, ya' goddam pest !

GTC

[/quote]

Crown Royal or Yukon Jack......which is more effective CFO?

CFO,

Lol

Shortside,

I haven't read through the whole thread, but our thoughts and prayers are with you.

The fires here, north and east have consumed in the neighborhood of 300k acres and a number of folks have lost homes, out-buildings, cattle and whatnot.

Bob
Weak response,.....

From an obviously weak, weepy, and sniveling little creature,... one unqualified to run in the company of real men.

no surprise.

GTC
I can't believe a thread like this turned into what it did. Sad.

Looking forward to good news from the OP.
It's only property. Keep it in perspective. Like building in a flood plain ( my remote cabin- flooded several times). It sucks when things go south, but we take that chance to live as we desire.

That sounds callous, but my house here on the Kenai is also in fire-habitat. It's only a matter of time... I gotta up my insurance, as I just built an expensive garage/shop.

The last time this area burned was 1948 or 49. There is a half inch layer of black about 8 inches down in the topsoil from that one. It's about due again, and I have dense spruce forest 30 feet out from the house- the property line, or I'd clear it back to 100. Not that that would help in reality, but would reduce the insurance rate. Nature sucks. And some of us want to live close to it, so we accept the risk. When (not if) we get bit, it hurts.

I hope it turns out well for you.

SS,

Quit yer whining now.

I was born into one that leaves douchebags such as your self walking around picking up their teeth. I do appreciate you making it easy to ignore you though..

Carry on and have a nice night.

Horse chit.
You like to imagine your tough(putting him on ignore over calling you out another a sign of that) and offended by those that are better off than you per your take.
I'd just smack you around until you asked nicely to be able to leave.

Regards,

Shortside

SS,

Quit yer whining now.
I couldn't remember why I had this Azzhole StripphuckHunter on Ignore until I opened his reply to this thread. Now I remember. What a jerk!

....and you think you're poor? grin

Poor in character maybe, which is worse I guess.

Anyways, its been my observation that those who have the gumption to actually build their own house ain't inclined to whine much. Whatever temporary setback may have occurred or not occurred, I expect Shortside will hit the ground running.

Here's another prayer that the fire passed them by.

Birdwatcher

No house is worth 18 firefighter's lives. No stand of houses. No neighborhood. I have sympathy with OP, but he got out and saved what he could. If he comes home and it's gone, he has to start over. He'll either do it, or he'll decide it wasn't worth it. People are resilient.

As for fire, many of us might live to see neighborhoods burning down around our ears when people start hunger riots or race wars. Time will tell, but it doesn't matter where you live. Dark times are coming.

Again, bullshittt.

Got my own cash....but enjoy representing local folks who don't. It's a dang hard life in small-town Rocky Mountains. Gotta eat sheet to live here. Most are terrific people who don't whine when their home gets demo'd by a tornado.......which is rare but evidently happens.

Since this is a free country, I have always thought that for your idiotic posts FOAD fits very well. Democratic undeground must be missing one of its fools again.

SS,

Quit yer whining now.

I wonder what he would have said to people in Chicago in 1871? You rich people shouldn't own cows anyways!

I will say this though, I don't see the argument about fire , but I don't have much sympathy for someone that rebuilds after a hurricane on the coast. It would take once for me and then I'm finding a mountain top.

Hope Shortside's house made it. Anybody heard from him?
Yeah, I'd sure like to hear that his Home and Hearth weathered this trial by fire.

GTC
The folks on the coast generally ask for nothing. They KNOW when they build its their risk. They pay the HIGH insurance or build with cash and can afford to rebuild.

Known risk.

Wildfires, can be the same to an extent. Doesn't mean you don't pray that there is never a hurricane or a fire.

In this instance its almost like SBH is praying for a fire.

Makes no sense.

We are ALL in danger somewhere. Was made glaringly obvious to me some years ago with the largest fire in our counties histroy, starting about 200 yards off our fence line. We were DAMN lucky to catch it early on the flank and fight it off our stuff, and tried like hell to save some houses downwind, but just could not get a grip in 40 mile per hour winds. Houses that were and were not in brush. Saw the fire blow OVER a house and never touch it in a wide open pasture. Saw it do the same an hour later but it DID burn that to the ground.

We have hurricanes, hail, tornadoes, thunderstorms, downbursts, out drafts, and many other things.

I just can't fathom an azzhole that would type the words SBH does.

Like I said a village in democratic underground lost its idiot.
Shortside, hoping like hell your home survives this fire.

Looking at the firemap, I'm thinking it may be a while before folks will be allowed in to see what's left. It's a very active fire.

Strip', go play on the freeway.
Had a good friend who lost everything but his family in the Colorado Springs fire this year. Got another friend who lost his house to a tornado. I've had my home damaged and vehicle totalled due to hail storms.

SBH is a troll, ignore him.

Hope to hear good news from Shortside.
I too hope and pray Shortslide's family and home is safe. I also pray for those risking their lives to stop the fires everywhere on this continent.

At the same time I am sorry a idiot can impose himself to hijack a thread like this. It is not what the Campfire is all about. I wish he would not me quoted then I would not see his hate.
Originally Posted by KFWA

I will say this though, I don't see the argument about fire , but I don't have much sympathy for someone that rebuilds after a hurricane on the coast. It would take once for me and then I'm finding a mountain top.

Good idea...but 500 miles is a long commute.
Shortside: I can't do anything to save your home (I am 66 years old and 200 miles away) but I can offer you and your family a place to live right here in my 5,400 square foot home if the need should arise!
I pray that your home will be spared!
Fires literally surround us here in SW Montana but the forests are sparse and seperated by large valleys and plains.
You all would be safe here with us.
We have 3 unused bedrooms, a sauna, and a hot tub to relax in.
Let me know when you may need to arrive.
My phone numbers are:
(H) 406-683-6888
(C) 206-200-3791
I hold our now "green oriented" (liberal!) forest service partially (significantly!) to blame for the terrible conditions of our forests here in the Rocky Mountain west and the HUGE number of fires so far in this early fire season!
Thankfully you are safe - you will enjoy your stay in Dillon, Montana should the need arise.
If you have children we have wonderful schools here and the year starts on September 3rd.
Call anytime.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by las
It's only property. Keep it in perspective. Like building in a flood plain ( my remote cabin- flooded several times). It sucks when things go south, but we take that chance to live as we desire.

That sounds callous, but my house here on the Kenai is also in fire-habitat. It's only a matter of time... I gotta up my insurance, as I just built an expensive garage/shop.

The last time this area burned was 1948 or 49. There is a half inch layer of black about 8 inches down in the topsoil from that one. It's about due again, and I have dense spruce forest 30 feet out from the house- the property line, or I'd clear it back to 100. Not that that would help in reality, but would reduce the insurance rate. Nature sucks. And some of us want to live close to it, so we accept the risk. When (not if) we get bit, it hurts.

I hope it turns out well for you.

that's a level-headed post.

Sycamore
nice form VG, very nice form

and I know I shouldn't veer off course of what this thread is about, btw thanks to all for the good thoughts and prayers for shortside.

but I have to admit, when someone threatens legal action or any other type action and ends that threat with "and this time I mean it"

I can't help but think of a 4 year old on a rampage. it made me chuckle Strip, so thank you! oh and this time I really mean it. (grin)
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
I hold our now "green oriented" (liberal!) forest service partially (significantly!) to blame for the terrible conditions of our forests here in the Rocky Mountain west and the HUGE number of fires so far in this early fire season!
Thankfully you are safe - you will enjoy your stay in Dillon, Montana should the need arise....
VarmintGuy

VG,

good of you to offer up your home like that. I disagree about the fires though. read up on 1910 for fires in MT and ID. That was BEFORE the FS was involved.

Lodgepole pines grows up in thickets, and burns down the same way, whenever they get thick enough, the weather is dry enough, and there is an ignition.

The difference between now and 1910 is how many people live in the trees, and all the homesteaded pasture and mining claims turned into second and retirement homes.

There will be loss, and a ditch-digger in New Jersey shouldn't be taxed to protect Ted Turner's or Dick Cheney's trophy home.

P/s Dillon is a great town, I ALWAYS stop whenever I travel I-15

Sycamore
In 1910 there was "only" 26 people per square mile of land.

In 2010, over 87 per square.
And a lot of those were packed into Butte, and it's suburbs!

Sycamore
Shortside: I can't do anything to save your home (I am 66 years old and 200 miles away) but I can offer you and your family a place to live right here in my 5,400 square foot home if the need should arise!
Fires literally surround us here in SW Montana but the forests are sparse and seperated by large valleys and plains.
My phone numbers are:
(H) 406-683-6888
(C) 206-200-3791
Thankfully you are safe - you will enjoy your stay in Dillon, Montana should the need arise.
If you have children we have wonderful schools here and the year starts on September 3rd.
Call anytime.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Good on yah VG but knowing you I'm not much surprised. smile

That offer is very kind of you VG.

My phone numbers are:
(H) 406-683-6888
(C) 206-200-3791
Call anytime.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
VG; Bravo for you! You've shown what extreme opposites there are here on the 'fire. Coffee's on me at Grandma's if we can get together when I'm over again.
So, two day later, does anyone know how this turned out for the OP?
Originally Posted by David_Walter

Nope, he hasn't checked in.

Updates on the Lolo Fire: (anyone know which drainage on that map is Sleeman Gulch?)

http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3683/
Hope it's not too late, but prayers sent from here too OP. Well done VarmintGuy, well done sir. Everyone knows SBH is a bottom feeder...ignore the loser.
From reading the Inciweb update for today it sounds like the homes in sleeman gulch are still ok. This was as of 9am.
it's a nasty Fire, and too bad about the houses that have been lost. Shortside, our prayers are with you.

On another note it sure was nice that we stopped logging, because breathing smoke is so much better than making money.
+ 1,000 Wyo.
Talked to my mom in Stevensville earlier today...she said she has not heard anything concerning Sleeman Gulch. You'd think if the fire got in there, it'd be all over the local news.

We've got a few friends who live up near there , and they brought their horses down to our corrals on Kootenai Creek the other day. Its bad, but there's still hope.

Sycamore: Thanks for the kind words.
You make lots of good points but my extended family worked the regularly harvested huge forests of western Washington for 70+ years.
The trees were harvested in accordance to a rotation plan and the young green healthy trees (forests) seldom caught fire or allowed fires to start or spread.
Those days are GONE!
The Forest Service then even treated vast forests for killing insects and beetles when needed.
Those days are GONE!
Its incredibly difficult (in the last 25+ years!) anymore to get a permit to harvest trees from a National Forest for lumber!
The days of lumber companies in western America are about GONE!
Absolutely NO preventive measures have been taken in the last 20 years of drought like conditions to curtail the killing beetle infestations, so we have huge areas of dead standing trees mixed in with some healthy trees and forest fires start and progress easily!
There is no such thing anymore as the forest service making firebreaks (roads!) through our forests and more and more roads are being closed and destroyed (planted over!) in our national forests!
The forest service neglects maintaining healthy forests - I could care less why, I just know they do.
The forest service in many areas will not let woodcutters or loggers harvest dead (but useable!) standing trees for firewood or lumber!
What in the hell is that about???
In a few areas they do allow some dead tree removal, but the vast majority of areas are for some unknown reason verbotten for salvage of these dead trees!
And I use the term VERBOTTEN out of complete disdain and disrespect for the liberal sons of bitches and daughters of whores who infest our Forest Service nowadays!
[bleep] them all - they do more harm than good to our forests!
I know personally several ex-forest service employees who feel exactly the same way I do in this regard!
It is indeed a tragedy what our forest service has become today!
Has anyone heard if the house/home in question is okay?
Someone else touched on another horrific aspect of this neglect by our forest service and that is the danger that our fire fighters are subjected to with this stunning forest fire season/situation!
Amen to their observations.
Imagine humping these mountains with protective gear and tools in the August heat and smoke and additional heat from the fires!
I pray no more of them are killed this season.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Sycamore: Thanks for the kind words.
You make lots of good points but my extended family worked the regularly harvested huge forests of western Washington for 70+ years.
The trees were harvested in accordance to a rotation plan and the young green healthy trees (forests) seldom caught fire or allowed fires to start or spread.
Those days are GONE!
The Forest Service then even treated vast forests for killing insects and beetles when needed.
Those days are GONE!
Its incredibly difficult (in the last 25+ years!) anymore to get a permit to harvest trees from a National Forest for lumber!
The days of lumber companies in western America are about GONE!
Absolutely NO preventive measures have been taken in the last 20 years of drought like conditions to curtail the killing beetle infestations, so we have huge areas of dead standing trees mixed in with some healthy trees and forest fires start and progress easily!
There is no such thing anymore as the forest service making firebreaks (roads!) through our forests and more and more roads are being closed and destroyed (planted over!) in our national forests!
The forest service neglects maintaining healthy forests - I could care less why, I just know they do.
The forest service in many areas will not let woodcutters or loggers harvest dead (but useable!) standing trees for firewood or lumber!
What in the hell is that about???
In a few areas they do allow some dead tree removal, but the vast majority of areas are for some unknown reason verbotten for salvage of these dead trees!
And I use the term VERBOTTEN out of complete disdain and disrespect for the liberal sons of bitches and daughters of whores who infest our Forest Service nowadays!
[bleep] them all - they do more harm than good to our forests!
I know personally several ex-forest service employees who feel exactly the same way I do in this regard!
It is indeed a tragedy what our forest service has become today!
Has anyone heard if the house/home in question is okay?
Someone else touched on another horrific aspect of this neglect by our forest service and that is the danger that our fire fighters are subjected to with this stunning forest fire season/situation!
Amen to their observations.
Imagine humping these mountains with protective gear and tools in the August heat and smoke and additional heat from the fires!
I pray no more of them are killed this season.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Actually I would say the Forest Service is probably doing what is best for the forest, not what is best for those people that live in or near the forest. Since the dawn of time forest the forest did just fine without being managed. Wildfires are Gods way of managing the forest, insects, overgrowth and so on.
Garyh - I disagree. Back when the people weren't interferring there were fires but they were smaller and when man got involved we started putting them all out right away. It built large amounts of fuel. The fire now are far worse because the fuel is heavy and the forest isn't being logged / thinned. Fires now seem as bad or worse than ever.
Garyh9900, since the dawn of time bubonic plague, smallpox, polio, cholera, diphtheria and so on has been keeping the human population in check.... I prefer today even with overpopulation... The goobs in the forest service are over educated fools.... And tools of Caligula in the White House...
How do you pronounce "Humboldt State?"

Both the Department of Agriculture and Department of Interior are loaded with Humboldt State Graduates. My nephew had to take a semester there and called it "Sprouter Heaven!"
Originally Posted by David_Walter

3 days now...

I'm pullin' for ya, shortside!
Shortside, I'm still pullin for ya man. Just finished evac myself from the Rim Fire in Ca. Hope you're all ok and your house is fine.

Prayers are constant.
Pira, prayers to you as well. My family is down there with you. Got the stock all moved to safety.
BUMP
Originally Posted by BigNate
Garyh - I disagree. Back when the people weren't interferring there were fires but they were smaller and when man got involved we started putting them all out right away. It built large amounts of fuel. The fire now are far worse because the fuel is heavy and the forest isn't being logged / thinned. Fires now seem as bad or worse than ever.

Check on the fires in northern Idaho and western Montana in 1910 and get back to me on that. there wasn't a Humboldt state then

Sycamore

ps last time I looked on inciweb , the fire was not in Sleeman gulch, Highway 12 was re-opened, and they were building line to keep the fire out of Sleeman gulch.

There are more than enough folk working in the FS that want to harvest timber. It isn't the FS, it's the lawsuits, that have hindered any sort of "management" to take place. When some kid in a dorm room in New York City found out he could "save the world" by appealing every timber sale on the Kootenai Forest way back in 1990, you could really see we were on the way down then. Throw in Bull trout and Grizzly bears, and the economy crashing, the FS doesn't stand a chance to sell anything. Forest Service was full of "timber beasts" then, and they couldn't cut a thing then either. Earth First, Swan View Coalition, etc etc, is where the fingers need to be pointed. Saying this is happening because greenie liberals in the FS, just doesn't cut it, not even close.

Shortside, I hope you guys come through this with your home property intact! I sit in my home watching and praying for rain up here as well.

CFO,

[Linked Image]
How many spotted owls can live in a burned out forest?
grin grin grin
My phone numbers are:
(H) 406-683-6888
(C) 206-200-3791
Call anytime.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

VG,

Wonderful gesture. It is folks like you and the many others like you that drew me to the Campfire. Everything else (plethora of information, knowledge, and experience) it offers is frosting on the cake.

Best regards,

Bob

People who evacuated because of the Lolo Creek Complex fire can return home, according to the Saturday morning fire update from incident command.

U.S. Highway 12 has reopened as well, although the speed limit has been reduced to 45 mph between mile markers 20 and 32. No parking or stopping along the roadway is allowed, and motorists should be aware of firefighting equipment, which will also be using the road.

"Visibility this morning is pretty bad because of the fire," said fire information officer Phil Sammon.

Progress on the fire over the past several days led to lifting the evacuation orders and reopening the highway, Sammon said.

Crews were aided in further containing the 10,687-acre blaze Friday by retardant drops along the northwest section of the fire.

Three Hotshot crews were able to control roll-outs on the fire's eastern section, and crews along Highway 12 continued to mop up around homes. Containment on the fire is at 40 percent.

"Most of the containment is along the Highway 12 corridor," Sammon said.

With areas where homes were most threatened better under control, crews' attention will shift Saturday to the northern part of the fire, he said.

Crews will continue to mop up other parts of the fire area and make sure that containment lines hold, he added.

When returning to homes, be aware of any smoke that looks out of place and search for hot spots or embers, Sammon said.

"It could be a hot spot that's flaring up or something like that," he said.

People returning home will see National Guard troops blocking access to forest lands, which remain closed, he said.

Also, people should be aware that a pre-evacuation warning remains in effect. If a slow-moving emergency vehicle with its lights on goes through someone's neighborhood, they will have to evacuate again, he said.
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Well more than enough.
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Well more than enough.

Thats what i figure too
Bob: Thanks for the kind words. I have been busy the last two days and I am not sure if the house in question has been spared?
I had the range day Hunter Education class today and then went chasing guns.
Yesterday my Hunting partner hiked into our early season high country camp.
Got home to tired to type!
It just started raining here tonight - I hope that helps Shortside's fire danger/threat.
Anyone heard from him?
Fires everywhere!
Dang its gonna be a long fire season.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Good job VG. Has anyone heard from Shortside? I PM'd him back when this thread started but haven't heard anything from him or seen him here since.
Thank you all so much. All is well. Our home is safe. We can get back in. It got really close but we are in the clear!

We moved a friends stock back in, and dropped our essentials off at the house. The firefighters watered and fed our chickens and kept the garden alive.

This thread is really something! All the kind words prayers and support are much appreciated. The rest isn't worth the air to argue with.

My family is all safe and sound and that is what matters.

Regards
Matt
Wonderful!!!
Good news Shortside!
Glad to hear it sir
Great news! Glad all is ok.
Send us some pics !!
Good new SS. Just drove by that area a couple weeks ago to float the Main Salmon in Idaho. Lots of fire damage in the canyon, but still gorgeous.

You're a lucky man to live there!

Sure glad to hear the good news. laugh
Thank you all so much. All is well. Our home is safe. We can get back in. It got really close but we are in the clear!

We moved a friends stock back in, and dropped our essentials off at the house. The firefighters watered and fed our chickens and kept the garden alive.

This thread is really something! All the kind words prayers and support are much appreciated. The rest isn't worth the air to argue with.

Regards
Matt

I'm just now reading the good news and am glad to hear your house was spared.

Wish I could buy those firefighters a beer or 3 and look them in the eye to say how impressed I am with their character for even thinking of your garden and livestock in the midst of fighting a raging fire.

Again, glad to hear that your house is OK and hats off to those who work so hard and risk life and limb to fight fires like this and yet still take the time to take care of a stranger's critters and veggies.

Regards
Matt

Matt, that is, indeed, wonderful news!
Welcome home!!
Great news!
Great to hear. Hoping the fires stay away.
Glad to hear the good news.
tickled to hear it!
Glad to hear it.

P.s *stripbuckpoacher go to hell
Glad to hear!!

Regards
Matt

Matt

Thats very good news indeed! I hope other folks in the area were also just as lucky..

Regards,

Peter
Good news to read this morning.. All those fire-fighters are something else - the danger they face, the heat they endure, just amazing...
great news.

ked
very good news
Awesome news!!!
Glad to hear the good news.
GREAT!
Glad to hear the good news!
Pictures are all over the web, including of our valley. Sleeman Gulch is where I live. The fire and burnouts are within 3/4 to a 1/2 mile of the house, which is really nothing in this terrain.

It jumped over 4 miles in 1 hour early in the life of this fire.

Some good friends got some equipment and their property burned pretty bad, but they and their house are OK.

Another friend has a blackened lawn, hillside and lost some timber, but the house was spared. Others weren't so lucky.

Thanks again.

To answer some of the speculation, my wife and I bought raw property, and built our home with our combined efforts, time, and skills. It appraised for over 4 times what we had into it, and we hope to have it paid off in another 10 years. I am 40, and my kids deserve to grow up in the hills they love. I would do whatever it takes to NOT live in town with the rest of society, as my Christian values do not align well with main stream western Montana these days, apparently. I am 3rd generation Montanan, and my wife is 5th. We believe in the blessings of family, hard work, education and fresh air. There is little that a generous dose of ambition and prayer will not overcome.

If you think I am a high roller, whiner, or any of the other provocative conjecture offered by one poster in particular, I feel bad for you. It is apparent that you deserve little other than our collective pity.

I once dealt with someone with a very similar view on the world, including the jealousy and upside down perspective on life. He was a (very liberal) union steward... who would have thought?!
© 24hourcampfire