Home
Several of us 'bama boy's have decided that we'd love to host a Public Land deer hunt get together.

As the thread progresses, I'll continue to update the OP so information is easily accessible.

Here is what we're starting with.

Date: TBD**

Alabama Deer Season is from October 15th - January 31st. The Bankhead National Forest is huge and there are lots of areas to hunt. Not all of it is WMA land but if we decide that we want to hunt the Black Warrior WMA in Bankhead then we are limited in the dates that we can do so. Below is the information covering the WMA. If we do not decide to hunt the WMA, then any date within the entire season is up for grabs!

*Black Warrior Wildlife Management Area (Lawrence and Winston Counties)
PERMITS: Permits for Gun Deer Hunts will be issued from the Black Warrior Headquarters Checking Station, 200 yards off of Hwy. 33 on the Northwest Road (Forest Service Rd. 208), on the dates of the hunts and from 3:00 to 5:00 PM the
day before the hunt. Permits for the Youth Turkey Hunt will be issued from the checking station on the day of the hunt; Check Station will be open by 5:00 AM. Season map/permits for Small Game, Archery Deer, Primitive Weapons Deer, the
Either-Sex Gun Deer Hunt on Zone A, the Special Feral Swine Hunts, and Spring Turkey Season may be obtained from Western Auto, Moulton; Dependable Service Center, Russellville; Wren Grocery, Intersection of Hwy. 33 and 36, three
miles south of Moulton; J.D.�s Quick Stop, Hwy. 24, Mt. Hope; Wal-Mart locations at Hwy. 195 East, Haleyville and at the intersection of Hwy. 24 and 157, Moulton; the Winston County Coop, Hwy. 195 east, Haleyville; Lawrence and Winston
County Courthouses; U.S. Forest Service Office, Hwy. 33 North, Double Springs; or by printing from the internet at www.outdooralabama.com/hunting/wildlife-areas/wmamaps/ (both front and back pages of the internet map/permit must be
together to be valid): or from the self-service issuing station located at the Management Area Headquarters. All deer, turkey and feral swine harvested by any means shall be reported and/or logged at the checking station located on the Northwest Road (FS Rd. 208) prior to leaving the WMA. Trapping Permits must be obtained from the area biologist: Matt Brock, 21453 Harris Station Road, Tanner, AL 35671

Zone A:

DEER: Gun Stalk Hunting Hunter�s Choice (except spotted fawns � two deer per day, one unantlered deer and one
antlered buck): ** Nov. 27-30; Dec. 11-14; and Dec. 26-31

Zone B: DEER: Gun, Stalk Hunting Hunter�s Choice (except spotted fawns � two deer per day, one unantlered deer and one antlered buck) with buck antler restrictions: minimum 4 points at least 1 inch long on one side: ** Nov. 23; Dec. 5-7;
Dec. 20-21.

For anybody considering joining us from out of state, here is a link for licensing and fees.
http://www.outdooralabama.com/licenses/ALLicenses/NonResRec.cfm

$128 for a 3 day
$181 for a 10 day

Of course, there are a lot of hunters out and about on opening weekend, but the National Forest is large enough to accommodate everyone and I've not seen it over crowded in the past.

There are a few campgrounds that we can use. The two main hunting camps are McDougle (which has water and a toilet vault) and the Wolf Pen which is for tents and hammocks only. Other campsites do have hook ups for RV's (like Brushy Lake Recreational Area) but the space is limited with only 13 sites. So staking a claim early is paramount.

Brushy Lake Recreation Area
Area Status: Open This area is Open

Brushy Lake Recreation Area offers everything from camping, picnicking, boating, and fishing to sanitary facilities including a bathhouse.A 33-acre lake, Brushy Lake has 13 campsites that accommodate very small recreational vehicles and tents. Campers occupy sites on a first come, first serve basis.
At a Glance
Fees $5 per night - camping$3 per vehicle - day use
Open Season: All year
Usage: Light
Water: Drinking Water
Restroom: Vault
Operated By: Forest Service

So, there are some things we have to decide and in short notice. As decisions are made, I'll update this post so that the information is immediately available.

Hope to see you there!
HAJ,

I mentioned in the other thread that I'd like to try this one. Definitely interested in the possibility of a hunt around the second week of December or January.

I'll keep an eye open to see what kind of time frame is decided on, and we'll go from there.
Sounds great bud! I hope we can set this up so that you can make it.

For that matter, I hope we can set this up so that I can make it!
Sign me up!

Over in bombingham currently
I may have to try and make this! If we can figure out some dates I will see what I can do about vacation time.
Will keep a watch on this for when date decisions are made. Thanks!
Count me in. If I miss another season, I will have to check into Betty Ford clinic
I'm in. I don't know how it is at Bankhead but the National Forrest I hunt is much less crowded on non WMA hunt weekends . Our National Forrest's have WMA lands sprinkled within them that are only open to gun hunters on certain weekends like the ones HAJ bold faced.

I'm good for anything and really excited about this, with enough notice I can make just about any date work.

Thanks for putting this up there.
I would love to join you guys as well. I used to spend a lot of time in the BHF years ago and have seen some nice deer. If memory serves, the rut is really early there compared to the rest of state. Might want to keep that in mind when planning the hunt date. Regardless, it would be nice to meet up with you all.
Glad to see some interest in this! It would be great to see some familiar faces and meet new ones.

CrimsonTide mentioned the second week of December which would coincide with an open WMA availability.

Bankhead is about 50% WMA and only 50% of the entire WMA is open at any given time. So, that means if you are interested in hunting the WMA, it'll be open and available, and if you aren't interested in hunting the WMA, you still have half the forest that you can hide away in. 444Matt is correct in that when the WMA opens, the woods become considerably more busy. But most of those guys are hunting the actual WMA.

I'll try to find a digital copy of a map so that you guys can start looking at areas to hunt.

So, all that to ask, how does the second week of December look for you guys?
I will make time for any open available time slot.

What is the weather like like in December? Temp ranges, snow/rain?

Is the prevalent wind NW?
2nd week of Dec works for me!
Spears legal?
I think so
Originally Posted by badger
Spears legal?

YES!

But now rockchucker and NHK9 will be showing up! grin
Thanksgiving is a great time to hunt Bankhead.
How's everybody else feel about early December?

How many nights/days do you want to plan for?

I'll probably tow my smoker up with me, have at least one good night's worth of eats for us all.
I can take at least 2 days off of work for a thur, fri, sat, sun affair. Perhaps more
I might make a trip down for an evening.
4 day Thursday-Sunday would be good for me. That might get us on both the WMA and the National Forrest Land as I think the WMA is just a weekend gig.

Ok never mind, I just checked the dates WMA opened Dec 11-14.
I like 4 days too and I'm good with early December.
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Spears legal?

YES!

George keeps Bobby in line.
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Spears legal?

YES!

George keeps Bobby in line.

He makes a valiant effort....
2 peas in a pod. Grin
are "alabama girls" welcome to participate?
Velvet,

Bama girls are more than welcome. My wife loves these guys. More than likely she won't make this trip though as she's not a big fan of camping.
For some reason I cannot edit the original post now that it's a sticky. I've PM'd Rick to see if he can fix that.

I think we've pretty much settled on the second week of December 12th-14th. Will be the official dates but some of us might be there earlier than that.
Ok, I'm going to try and put together a "Details" post where members can add their names so we can better plan.

Location of Hunt: Bankhead National Forest
Date of Hunt: December 11-14th

Out of state fees: $128 for a 3 day $181 for a 10 day

Members going (Please copy, add your name and repost):
444Matt (Matt P.)
444Matt (Matt P.)
George_in_SD (George D)
RDINAK (Russell D)
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
444Matt (Matt P.)
George_in_SD (George D)
RDINAK (Russell D)

CrimsonTide
Tempting. Seems like it would be a great hunt.
444Matt (Matt P.)
George_in_SD (George D)
RDINAK (Russell D)
CrimsonTide
HugAJackass
444Matt (Matt P.)
George_in_SD (George D)
RDINAK (Russell D)
CrimsonTide
HugAJackass
JCMCUBIC (likely only the 13th/14th)
444Matt (Matt P.)
George_in_SD (George D)
RDINAK (Russell D)
CrimsonTide
HugAJackass
JCMCUBIC (likely only the 13th/14th)
velvet tines & grandslam (brenda & pete)
it is with great remorse, but you all will have to do without me this time.
Well now where will we find a spear chucker?
I can still chuck a spear..... I am just now looking at this thread for the first time, what are the final dates? I have been wanting to hunt Eastern US Whitetails for some time now, have a Model 71 in 348 that needs to see some use and this sounds like just the place.

No promises yet, just hoping for a recap of the deal here.

Heya Mark,

We're looking at December 11th-12th at Bankhead National Forest.
I might be able to make that if you have room. Not going to pull my camp trailer that for, though. What are the sleeping arraingemnts being made? I will have to fly, which severly limits how much stuff I can bring along.

What kind of range or distance are the shots on deer taken in that area? I am wanting a good venue for packing my model 71 in 348 around, but if the shots are typically long like out here, my 257WBY would get the nod.
Mark, I'd say a .348 would fit in fine around there.
Honestly my friend, this may not be what your looking for in a Eastern whitetail hunt. For your needs you may want to consider TN, KY, or VA.

Although there are some decent sized deer in the Alabama woods, they aren't in high numbers. Most deer that I've seen here tend to be smaller than the deer father North.

What Alabama does offer is the near guarantee that you'll fill your freezer. Deer and pigs are everywhere and you can take one a day.

As far as the camp amenities go, it'll be tents, hammocks, and maybe a RV or two.

There are toilet facilities and water available.

Shooting distances, you'll be hard pressed to shoot any father than 50 yards.

It may not be that kind of hunt that you're looking for. But as you well know being a veteran of campfire get togethers, it will be a good time and there is game in these here woods.

Would love to see ya again, but completely understand if what you're looking for is found elsewhere.

Mark, I'd say a .348 would fit in fine around there.

It would be most excellent for this hunt.
Honestly my friend, this may not be what your looking for in a Eastern whitetail hunt. For your needs you may want to consider TN, KY, or VA.

Although there are some decent sized deer in the Alabama woods, they aren't in high numbers. Most deer that I've seen here tend to be smaller than the deer father North.

What Alabama does offer is the near guarantee that you'll fill your freezer. Deer and pigs are everywhere and you can take one a day.

As far as the camp amenities go, it'll be tents, hammocks, and maybe a RV or two.

There are toilet facilities and water available.

Shooting distances, you'll be hard pressed to shoot any father than 50 yards.

It may not be that kind of hunt that you're looking for. But as you well know being a veteran of campfire get togethers, it will be a good time and there is game in these here woods.

Would love to see ya again, but completely understand if what you're looking for is found elsewhere.

Actually, I think this hunt just might be the deal I need. Anyone have extra space for me in their tent or RV? I am not going to be able to pack any such stuff in an airline sized suitcase. Is the hunt area anywhere near an airport I can fly into? I don't want to be a pain in the butt to anyone, but will need a bit of logistical assistance at that end such as a place to sleep and a ride from and back to an airport If I make the journey.

How much is a non resident license and tag? Or tag(s)? Any tree squirrels in those woods? I LOVE hunting and eating tree squirrels and would probably make the trip just for that!
You can fly right in to BHM or into Huntsville I believe. Would be willing to offer a ride from BHM as I live just 30 minutes south of there, and space in my tent, I might, just MIGHT be able to borrow an RV from a friend you are welcome to that as well. IFIC you're a big fella like myself and figure you could use the room.
Plenty of tree rats, and the season runs through February so you'd be good on that.

For anybody considering joining us from out of state, here is a link for licensing and fees.

$128 for a 3 day
$181 for a 10 day
OK, just need to look at air fare costs, I am about 1/2 way there! Partly for the tree ratz!
If you decide to fly into HSV (Huntsville) it's less than a 5 minute drive from my house. I'd be MORE than willing to give ya a ride.

Would be great to see ya again!

Matt,

Thanks for all the assists on this thread, amigo! You're help has been invaluable!
Very excited about this Mark, thanks for grabbing the idea and running with it. I think we all are going to have a great time and hopefully feel some freezers!
Heck I'd pick up Safariman just to drool on his M71 (I'll wipe it off when I'm done!)
He does have a lot of cool toys.

I'd pick him up because the hour of conversation on the way to the woods would be worth the cost in gas. grin

You're gonna like him.
Regrettably the calendar is full so I can't make it.
I hope you have a good time.
Has anyone heard if there are any 2014 24 HCF Hog Hunt plans in the works?
Originally Posted by R1150R

Yeah! I want to know about that one, too!

I am still about 60% in the can and will go department on this hunt. Largely due to the kind outpouring of help with logistics as I will need to fly in and share some lodging. Also because of the warm welcome to the hunt from those going. Much appreciated! I sold off a few toys today at a local gun show and am going to try to squirrel away enough money to make this happen. The truck and our home need repairs more than I need to deer hunt, but if those don't eat up all of my gun show money then I will likely be in like flint.

This is usually about the time of year that rumblings start to happen about that, but I haven't heard any yet.

Was a great time last year.

This is usually about the time of year that rumblings start to happen about that, but I haven't heard any yet.

Was a great time last year.

just make sure to give us a heads up if you bring your wife again so we can make sure to get her her own jar of moonshine.....she really did not like giving up the jar.....
Moonshine....There was moonshine at the hog hunt? I'm sorry, I just can't believe that.
Was being the key word here.

She really liked it.
Moonshine....There was moonshine at the hog hunt? I'm sorry, I just can't believe that.

sorry you had to find out this way, we tried to protect your delicate sensibilities while we were there......
I'll get over it.....

By the way, happy birthday, HAJ!
Thank ya kindly sir
I sense a chorus of Kumbaya soon smile
Hell, I will bring some moonshine along if anybody would like. I call it liquid panty remover.
Hell, I will bring some moonshine along if anybody would like. I call it liquid panty remover.

Liquid panty remover amongst a group of men in the wilderness????

.... not too sure I want to know the ending to this hunt. shocked
Originally Posted by RickyBobby

Liquid panty remover amongst a group of men in the wilderness????

.... not too sure I want to know the ending to this hunt. shocked
still showing your net worth I see booby
it's no wonder you will never be invited to a campfire get together...I don't even have to read your posts you are so obvious...do the rest of the 24HourCampfire a favor and go away
my apologies HAJ a fly needed to be swatted.
I wish you would quit stalking me on here like some FREAK with too damn much time on your hands! Leave me alone.

crazy
keep showing your lack of worth................
if you put EH76 on ignore, then I bet you voted for obama, are in the process of buying a bridge and are waiting on money from an african prince you helped out.

might as well add me to the list along with most the guys on here. you have no idea of the caliber of man you are pitting yourself against.
OMG!!! shocked

We're looking at December 11th-12th at Bankhead National Forest.

so this is a two day hunt on a wednesday & thursday or is this two days to hunt bankhead and then hunt friday & saturday in black warrior?

i believe one post said it was from the 11-14. will someone clarify for me, please.
Opps....bump for a check on the dates.
The area will be open for hunting from Dec 11th to Dec 14th. Some can make the whole 11-14th, some can only hunt a day or so due to work/family/travel/whatever.

Right now I am planing on being there from Tuesday the 10th afternoon/evening (to set up) until Saturday evening or Sunday morning.

I might have to push that one day forward and arrive on the 11th instead of the 10th.

I am also trying to secure a RV to use.

HAJ, belated happy birthday and please correct me if I made a mistake on dates and whatnot.
Thanks bud!

The dates look great. December 11th - 14th.

The option to hunt the WMA or Bankhead out side of the WMA is completely up to the individual Hunter.
This sounds like a good time, might make some new friends too. I hunt every day of the season, might as well try somewhere new. I cook a mean brisket, could do a couple of those and a couple of boston butts. At least we'd eat good.
Hey 'Mirage',
If a 2014 24 HC Hog Hunt gets arranged I hope you'll attend.
Last March dvdegeorge did brisket that was to die for.
Maybe a brisket cook-off could be set up.
What do you think HAJ ?

Originally Posted by mirage243
This sounds like a good time, might make some new friends too. I hunt every day of the season, might as well try somewhere new. I cook a mean brisket, could do a couple of those and a couple of boston butts. At least we'd eat good.
I'm on this one. Depending on where we camp, I might just hang out until bed time and go back home to sleep. I'm only 5 minuets from the Double Springs side of Bankhead.

Did I miss the camp area selected?
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Same question here, I saw two different campsites listed on the website.
You ain't kidding man!

I need to find that video of my boy trying to get to that food! laugh

Same question here, I saw two different campsites listed on the website.

Heya fellas!

No, you didn't miss anything as we're still trying to select an actual site. With RVs Things get a little more complicated only because each campsite has it's own rules and regulations.

Some won't be open, others don't allow firearms. So, we're still working this out so that there no hiccups.

I've been in touch with the local wardens there so if anyone has any questions that you'd like run by them for any reason I'm more than happy to ask. Our, I can give you their contact info.
I'm on this one. Depending on where we camp, I might just hang out until bed time and go back home to sleep. I'm only 5 minuets from the Double Springs side of Bankhead.

all that time I've spent down there and I never knew that you were so close! shocked
others don't allow firearms.

??

I am starting to pre-scout via google earth and TOPO maps; can anyone give me a viable starting area relative to the two camps?

I keep kicking around buying a wall tent and stove, so as to camp in style and be prepared for Colorado Elk. Any thoughts as to this?

??

I am starting to pre-scout via google earth and TOPO maps; can anyone give me a viable starting area relative to the two camps?

I keep kicking around buying a wall tent and stove, so as to camp in style and be prepared for Colorado Elk. Any thoughts as to this?

I have a large wall tent with wood stove that I'd bring, also will bring my 7X14 enclosed "huntin" trailer. Just need to make sure of fire rules at the campsite. Don't buy a wall tent/stove just for this trip, you'd be more than welcome to bunk in mine. All you'd need would be a cot and sleeping bag.
Dang!! The middle of Bankhead is only 45 miles from my family's farm east of Muscle Shoals, Alabama. This is killin' me. I'm totally out of vacation from going on a three-week mission trip to Africa in August, and I'm already committed for a huntin' trip near Ft. Payne in Nov. Then get back from that and rifle season starts here less than two weeks later, and wife barely tolerates me through that. And I promised her I wouldn't go on any more out-of-state hunting trips this year.

If I even mention going back to Alabama for another hunt in December, I'll wake up spread-eagled and duct taped to the bed frame with my balls cut off.

Hmmmm... Gotta figure out how to work this. "These things must be done delicately, or you hurt the spell."
Mirage:

Well a hunt is the perfect justification for new gear, and it would seem a wall-tent lasts quite a while whistle

I will be headed up in a party of two, as my dad is going to hunt as well. I don't want to impose with two spots

Skeezix:

Use the barter system grin

??

Yeah, some camps there, during some parts of the year, are closed to hunters.

I'd love a nice wall tent, but have been considering a tipi set up.

How big are ya looking at?
Make sure and PM me or call when you decide on a camping location and I can cut a load of hardwood firewood and get it there. I've got some seasoned and can cut some more if needed.
I'm assuming that four wheelers are a no go, anyone know for sure. I can also bring wood, the best part of huntin' is a good fire.
Hey guys!

Some good news, I secured a RV today for the trip. It will sleep 4 men comfortably, that leaves me with Three open spots.

I'm going to offer the first spots to Mark (Safariman), if he can make it, as I promised in an earlier post. And one of the remaining two to HugaJackass (Mark)

They have first right of refusal and there is at least one spot open for anyone that would like to bunk.

It is a smaller "MinnieWinne" but better than nothing!

Love how all this is coming together!

Roll Tide
Matt
Oh sh*t, I don't know if I can go huntin' with a "Roll Tide" man. . . . .lol
I knew that'd get a response or two wink. Don't think I was going to let a 'Bama deer hunt go down without talking some smack!

Always fun.
Originally Posted by 444Matt
I knew that'd get a response or two wink. Don't think I was going to let a 'Bama deer hunt go down without talking some smack!

Always fun.

I'm sure it will be a lively campfire, by mid December things should be very interestimg. Hopefully LSU will have an extra feather in their cap by then and Georgia has won the SEC championship. Oh boy, here we go. . . .lol

Make that roll tide MEN! grin

Hope you can make it! Everyone needs to attend a Campfire gathering or two. Never a dull moment and some real quality people to meet.
I'll be there, already on the calender, myself and one of my best hunting buddies are coming. Just waiting on the details. Should be fun.

??

Yeah, some camps there, during some parts of the year, are closed to hunters.

I'd love a nice wall tent, but have been considering a tipi set up.

How big are ya looking at?

12x14 or 14x16

I've thought about a tipi setup but I keep coming back to wall tent and ultralight tent combo for the best of both worlds. I see the tipi as in-between.

Man I am so pumped up for this hunt
Roll tide!
laugh

How did the scouting go today!?
Oh the scouting was awesome!

Matt and I had quite the day. Certainly found a few honey-hole type areas.

Because I work at EBSCO, I can get some sort of deep discount on Summit tree-stands, Knight & Hale, and Code blue scent products. So will likely put up a few stands.
Man! I hope you two can make something of that spot! I love seeing Alabama deer on dinner tables. grin
My buddy and I specialize in cooking, we're gonna put on a bad ass barbeque for ya'll one night, we need to get a pretty good head count towards the end of November, keep that in mind.
I told George this today, I don't know if it was having another set of eyes to look for sign, or another head to discuss ideas with, but today was by far the most successful scouting trip I've had.

We found several areas that had tons of sign, a few of them even having just about all you could ask for. No kidding in one spot we found a travel route with bedding on one end, water and food source (acorns galore) on another and deer tracks going from bedding area to the water source. Even some fresh scat with acorns in it!

Did find a lot of coyote tracks and poop too, hope to nail a few of those suckers!
Oh yeah, Matt is right! Best scouting trip I've ever had, just freakishly productive.

Matt I looked up what the retail cost of the summit stands are, just $130 for a ladder and about $230 for a decent climber. Hopefully my cost will be about half that; will keep you posted.
Oh man! I'd love to tag a few coyotes!

Are you guys seeing more white oak or red oak acorns in that part of the State?

Hope you can make it! Everyone needs to attend a Campfire gathering or two. Never a dull moment and some real quality people to meet.

Uh, ROLL TIDE.
Just sayin'
A few years ago you couldn't find a Tide fan, now they're EVERYWHERE, wonder why that is?. . . . . .lol
Bro I went to UA durring our suck fest. I survived Dubose, Franchonie, Price, and Shula. Bandwagon my ass.
Oh man! I'd love to tag a few coyotes!

Are you guys seeing more white oak or red oak acorns in that part of the State?

white by far
Bro I went to UA durring our suck fest. I survived Dubose, Franchonie, Price, and Shula. Bandwagon my ass.

Oh I'm not saying you, I'm saying these dongs here around where I live, they drive me nuts.
Nah, I guess they are just more vocal about it now grin

Sorta like Chiefs fans this year wink
Who all is tagging along on this hunt anyway?

Also has the camp-ground been decided?

I'm still on the fence about a wall-tent. Perhaps if I get a few excess toys sold......

What kind of excess toys you got for sale?

Also has the camp-ground been decided?

I'm still on the fence about a wall-tent. Perhaps if I get a few excess toys sold......

I will be calling the ranger station Monday, depending on what they tell me we will pick a site by mid of this week at the latest.
We've narrowed it down to a couple of spots and there are just a few questions that we have to get cleared up that only the Rangers there can answer.

As always, Matt is on top of things. Really appreciate your help in organizing this, Matt!

Good question! I'll start a running roster so people can follow along. I'll break it down by committed and tentative category's.

Committed
  • 444Matt
  • George_in_SD
  • HugAJackass
  • rdinak
  • Safariman
  • Mirage243
  • R_H_Clark

Tentative
  • CrimsonTide
  • JCMCUBIC
  • Steelhead
  • Velvet_Tines
  • Grandslam
  • MissLynn +1
  • Skeezix
I'm bringing a REI Quater Dome T3 Plus that will fit two with all gear very comfortably.

I might also be bringing a Hennessey Hammock for myself. If I do, I'll still bring the tent for others to use if they like.
Homey!

I'm in!
Word dawg!
Committed
  • 444Matt
  • George_in_SD
  • HugAJackass
  • rdinak
  • Safariman
  • Mirage243
  • R_H_Clark
  • CrimsonTide

Tentative
  • JCMCUBIC
  • Steelhead
  • Velvet_Tines
  • Grandslam
  • MissLynn +1
  • Skeezix
Any news on the campsite?
Waiting to hear what Matt learned from the Ranger Station.
velvet tines and grand slam are in.
Originally Posted by velvet tines
velvet tines and grand slam are in.

Awesome! Looking forward to meeting you two!
Committed
  • 444Matt
  • George_in_SD
  • HugAJackass
  • rdinak
  • Safariman
  • Mirage243
  • R_H_Clark
  • CrimsonTide
  • Velvet_Tines
  • Grandslam

Tentative
  • JCMCUBIC
  • Steelhead
  • MissLynn +1
  • Skeezix
This looks like it's turning into a pretty good turnout.
A few years ago you couldn't find a Tide fan, now they're EVERYWHERE, wonder why that is?. . . . . .lol

Oh, I gotta defend myself there, I was a Tide fan when Lou Holtz had the Fighting Irish on top. There will always be those who jump on a bandwagon, but chubby ain't one of them.

smile
Really liking you signature block, man! laugh
Why, thank you sir!
Well crap fellas, due to gov shut down the Ranger station is closed. I tried to call to get better info and they won't have it staffed until congress passes a budget. Tentatively let's plan for using Brushy Lake camp ground. I intend to get there the afternoon/evening of the 10th to setup the RV.

Will provide more solid info as soon as it becomes available, thanks to all involved looking forward to a very good time!
Mosquito repellent should be high on your packing list. Also snake chapps might be handy. It could be too cold for snakes or plenty warm for them by noon.
So is the hunting style, for lack of a better term, open to the individual? Are are we looking to do a walking drive through the woods, etc.

I want to start pre-scouting via google-earth.

RH Clark, snake chapps? Heck, snake pistol is more like it grin
I've actually never encountered a snake there. Insect repellent is a must though for sure.

Yes, the hunting style and where they want to hunt is up to the individual.

I'm hoping to have my tags filled by then so I can hob nob at the camp and play with guns at the range.

Coordinating a drive or two could be interesting. There will be a lot of hunters in the woods that week. If you stay out of the WMA you'll avoid the vast majority of them.
Any tips on where to start looking? There is so much land, I'm trying to find a place that is near a creek but at least a nasty mile from any road. Not so much luck thus far

Emphasis on nasty and at least blush
George I'm game for whatever, maybe once we get our spots set up at the talladega NF we can scout some up there?
Indeed Matt. Looking between google and bing makes my head spin. There are so many areas to look at!

Let me find out about tree-stands quick
Yeah, the place is huge. I can tell you where I've seen sign in previous years, but to be honest, deer seem to be everywhere and no where at the same time.

Lots of sign, lots of dead deer at the check point, but I've skunked and come up empty the last 2 years....
Well now I'm really in trouble! I got the GIS tool involved so I can see who owns what land. There are quite a few hunting properties out in the area, Soterra LLC ring any bells?

Shame I can find good land now but can't access it without going over private first.
I try to figure out where the hunters are, and go someplace else. LOL
Well now I'm really in trouble! I got the GIS tool involved so I can see who owns what land. There are quite a few hunting properties out in the area, Soterra LLC ring any bells?

Shame I can find good land now but can't access it without going over private first.

As far as I could tell, all the private land is posted tighter than a gnats bunghole.
The deer will have been hunted almost a month by the time we get there. So, I'd look for places with deep cover near a food source....
The spot I usually go to had very little sign last year, but it looks like a good honey hole. It has all the right stuff.

It would be worth scouting at the very least. My buddy has pulled deer out of there 2 of the 3 years we've hunted it.
I try to figure out where the hunters are, and go someplace else. LOL

I'm trying to find nasty cover with funnels and saddles, away from a road. Guess that last part is what's tough.

There is just too much land to focus in an one area without just closing your eyes and poking a map. Perhaps a trip up there is in order?
Check out the Brushy Creek area. It's nearly impassible and thick as can be...

Lots of pigs in there too...
Hmm, as long as it is tasty I'm game!
I haven't hunted that area, but I have hiked through it....or attempted to...

Pigs tear it up real good, and the brush is thick as can be.

Lots of food and there is a creek that snakes through there....
Mosquito repellent should be high on your packing list. Also snake chapps might be handy. It could be too cold for snakes or plenty warm for them by noon.

looks like they have some big ones up north:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEVjZ3Bg3sg
Check out the Brushy Creek area. It's nearly impassible and thick as can be...

Lots of pigs in there too...

Are Pigs legal there during deer season? I know on private land they are but not sure on the WMA or National Forrest.

Depending on what's in my freezer by December, I may be more interested in shooting a pig or two.
Yes, pigs are legal on the management area with any gun and ammo legal for the season. You can hunt year around with anything in the national forest except(I think) during turkey season. At least that was the case last year.
Any news?

[Linked Image]
Well most feds are back to work now, will call the ranger station again this Monday.

I still have a couple spots open in the RV.
Alright between myself Safariman and CrimsonTide I'm going to call the RV full, or at maximum weight capacity at least . wink
Anybody else itching for the rifle season opener?!!!!
Heck yeah!

Strange turn of events for me, looks like I will get an RV for Tuesday-Sunday. Ahh the life of the baller
Any word from the ranger station and/or confirmation of the camping site?
Brushy lake campground was the decision as far as I know.
Bushy lake?
That's what I thought but I thought Matt still needed to check on something with the rangers, maybe I was mistaken.
Talked to the Ranger station today. Ends up none of the campsites will have hookups for RVs, they shut that down during the winter. Also after talking to a ranger he highly recomended that we use McDougle over Bushy Lake. I was told that Bushy lake ONLY has 13 spots TOTAL and that McDougle would have much more open spots.

Also was warned that camping at McDougle is pretty bare bones. I'd figure following his advice would be the best thing to do, and we should change our spot to McDougle.

And George, sweet for scoring another RV!
Thanks for the update Matt!

Here is the location and information for McDougle.

McDougle Campground

The only amenities there are a Vault Toilet and drinking water.

Anybody else itching for the rifle season opener?!!!!

Yes and hell Yes!
How was GA last weekend?
It was just what I needed.

Opening day I saw one little doe that I let go and a sow pig with 5 little piglets that I also let go.

My wife did her first solo hunt and saw a real nice buck with two doe's but didn't get a shot.

She's hooked! Buck fever got her good.

I got to do some repairs around the camper and build my fire pit.

Good food, good company, good time. Much needed...
Good to hear.
I am still getting over my surgery 10-09-2013 I am behind
when does Rifle season open here in Alabama?
November 15th.

Get well soon AMRA.

Need anything to help the recovery?
Thanks! That is soon! Seems like rifle season always opened
on the 21 to the 23 of Nov.
I fought with Blue Cross Blue S. for over a year to pay for my
Surgery they said NO!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had to cash out most of my 401 K to pay cash out of pocket
for my Surgery and that Doctor gutted me like a Deer!
But all in all I am happy,happy,happy, to still have my OLD ASS
still here with the Wife and my 2 girls , and most important
my Grand Daughter!
I dont have a scope on ANY rifle!
But if I DO GET TO GO THIS YEAR
I will drag out the 405 WCF.
God Bless and Good Hunting
AMRA
I'm sure that I can loan ya a scope for the season if you feel good enough to get out and hunt.
Thanks for the offer but I have 1 scope that these old eyes
can see the ret. My Older Leupold VX III 1.75-6x32 HEAVY DUPLEX.
I just need to pick which rifle to put it on.
Ruger MRK II 77 RSI 7mm-08 stainless Mannlicher 18 1/2 in. barrel

Weatherby Mark V Ultra Light Weight 5 3/4 lbs 30-06 bought here
from Wes 7x57 Cerakoted and Micro-Slicked by Hired Gun here.

Weatherby Mark V Stainless 270 WBY Mag from the Weatherby Custom Shop,Hand Honed,Hand Fitted,Blue Printed,Bead Blasted by them
Bolt Fluted and Scalloped by Kampfeld here
Cerakoted also.

The wife bought and paid for all of these plus my
Z-HAT Custom Winchester 1895 405 WCF.
I have a Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8x32 20# Ret still in the box
plus a Leupold VX II 2-7x33 Duplex still in the shrink wrap
but I CAN`T see the damn cross hairs on ether .
Just my old Leupie 1.75-6x32 HD.
But I ain`t Hunting till the Doc and the Wife let me!
Good Luck to all the Alabama Boys and Gals this year!
AMRA
I hope the doc clears ya soon!

I'd love to see the results of the classic 405!
Anything new? Anybody new committed to going? Is there anyway to reserve campsites, just wanna make sure the joint ain't gonna be full.
Is there anyway to reserve campsites, just wanna make sure the joint ain't gonna be full.

Indeed?
I believe it is first come first serve. I was planing on being there Tuesday night to set up, but some work stuff has come up and the earliest I will be able to make it up there is Thursday Evening/Afternoon.
I'll be there on Tuesday, I will save as many spots as needed if they'll let me.
I will probably be late Thursday before I arrive as well. I've not hunted the WMA or area and would like to take a trip over to check it out before the day of. Anyone else interested in meeting up for a quick scouting trip in the next couple of weeks let me know.
I was planning on heading up that way for some preliminary scouting. When did you have in mind? Also any place in particular?
Maybe Friday 11/8 (afternoon) and Saturday 11/9, or Sunday 11/10 (afternoon) and Monday 11/11 (Veteran's Day).

Didn't have any one place picked out to look. Wanted to go to the campground and probably stay one night. Map out the access roads and get a rough idea of the place and go from there. If you've got specific areas you want to take a look at I'm game.
Saturday should work for me
Yall get any scouting done?
I didn't go today...couldn't give up hunting. I may go on Monday...if I don't hunt.
Bust one for me.Don't think i'll go this year.
Man, I've got the itch bad this year. I really need some time in the woods.

Sad part is that I haven't even purchased my license yet. I'm not too sure that I'm even going to get to make it out this weekend. I screwed my back up and I can't even pick up my son, nevermind dragging a deer...

I hope you fella's bring the pain this weekend! I'm looking forward to some good pictures! I hope the temperature drop helps!

This coming weekend is the youth hunt, Friday through Monday. Monday through Friday of next week will be muzzleloader. Rifle starts Saturday the 23rd. So you've got some time to heal up!
I hear you guys, I'm going to need a lot of "woods therapy" myself. It might be December before I"m able to hunt hard, but man am I going to hit it the last two months of the season.
If I can get over this Prostate Surgery I HOPE to get
out and get some meat on the ground this season!
AMRA
Matt, how far are you from the National Park over there?

AMRA, praying for a quick recovery for ya! Hope you make it out!
I am 1hr 20 minutes from my door to the woods where George and I have scouted out. I haven't seen how far I am from Bankhead.
That's pretty cool man. I'm the same distance from my door to my little camp spot in Bankhead.
10 days my friends until the season opens up.
About a month out, anybody bringing anything cool or unusual to hunt with? I'll pretty boring gonna bring an open sited 30-30 and a scoped 30-06.
Have we got a for sure head count yet?
Just to inspire you guys.

http://www.aldeer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=749168&gonew=1#UNREAD
Dang what a wall hanger!
Have we got a for sure head count yet?

At the last tally..

Committed
444Matt
George_in_SD
HugAJackass
rdinak
Safariman
Mirage243
R_H_Clark
CrimsonTide
Velvet_Tines
Grandslam

Tentative
JCMCUBIC
Steelhead
MissLynn +1
Skeezix
Heading out tonight to Bankhead. Going to be camping at the Wolf Pen camp ground. Do a little scouting tomorrow, hit the range, and pretend like I can actually sleep the night before opening rifle season.

Good luck to you all in the woods this weekend! Please be safe out there and look out for retards that would do you harm. Looking forward to seeing you all in December.

If any of ya are going to Bankhead this weekend, PM me and I'll hook ya up with me number if you'd like to meet up. My reception is horrible out there, but I can get a text through.
Good luck! George and I will be at the Talladega NF hunting our butts off!
Make em' bleed!!!!!
Son-in Law is hunting in Talladega NF Sat morning in some
Places I have hunted on Cheaha Mt for years!
Damn Dr`s won`t let me go yet!
Good luck to all the Alabama Boys this weekend!
AMRA
George and Matt, if ya'll ever run into any trouble or need anything while at TNF, call me, I'm close to there, George should have my number, PM me if not. Good luck this weekend, I hope the big ten that I've got tied to a tree don't get loose before saturday morning.
It sucks you don't have the go ahead yet, but listen to your doc. Heal up man, we'll leave ya lots of deer. smile
Hey thanks I hope we never need it but both of us drive 2wd drive trucks and towards the end of the season the roads can get abit soft.
Matt you need to get you a 4x4!
My little Toyota Tacoma 4x4 4 banger ain`t
Bigfoot 4X4 but it`s better than any 2wd.
AMRA
I know tell me about it!
deer of a lifetime

http://www.aldeer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=754699&page=1

think they said 197 pounds and scoring in the 160's
DAYUM!
There have been some monsters out of there this year. Hell if I know where they're at. laugh
Hey fellas, just wanted to let everyone know that I was hanging out in Bankhead this weekend. I don't think there will be any chance of over crowding at the McDougal camp site.

The WMA was open this weekend, well half of it was. The other half will be open for the time we have set this shindig up for. It won't be the first weekend it's open either. So that means very little chance of over crowding.

There really should be some great hunting opportunities for us.

The hard part is the fact that the camp has no sign indicating where it is from the road. This makes it very easy to miss.

The good news is that I picked up a map of the whole area and it's clearly marked on the map. The surrounding things on it are also clearly marked from the road so if you use these features you should be able to locate the camp.

I'm going to try to scan and post the map for you guys in the morning. Maybe whoever gets there first can put a sign out near the road for the rest of us to spot or something.
^^^ that would be great, I don't know schit about that area, but I can read a map
Nice Bama deer.
they are still taking some real nice deer:

http://www.aldeer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=759736&page=1
I was in Bankhead today. Stopped by the camp site and saw 3 deer hanging at separate campers. I also spooked 2 deer while out scouting.

I also saw a lot of pig sign. 4 legged critters abound!
Great news!! Besides opening day where I passed on four small ones I'm getting skunked!
I got skunked today as well.
As bad as I hate to, I'm going to have to cancel my trip to the Bama hunt.

My little brother is out in Norfolk Va. He called Dad and me to see if we can come out there that weekend to help him with some work on his house. Apparently that is the only time he can get off, so since Dad and I are both retired, we can help him out.

I was looking forward to seeing everyone and sitting around another campfire this fall, but I guess I'll have to wait till next year.

CT
Sorry you can't make it CT. You'll be missed. Family comes first, always.

Safe travels out to Norfolk amigo!

War Eagle . . . .lol

I'm getting excited about this trip, looking forward to meeting you fellas
laugh

Likewise mirage! There is sure to be some good ribbing going on!
I'm really excited about all the good deer I see coming out of there, that and the possibility of nailing a few piggies!
I think I may have a spot to put ya, Matt grin

They are bringing some big dear out of that park this year, that's for sure!
That they are my friend! Hey will this hunt be during doe season up there? I need to put some meat in the freezer!

Looks like I will be arriving Thursday afternoon/evening.
As far as I know, doe are in season. You should double check abs not take my word for it though.
I was afraid of this...

I don't think I'll be making this get together after all. I've got a training class that goes for 5 days starting on the 9th in Birmingham. It's for an IT certificate that will help me find a job so I really cannot miss out on it.

This blows...
Ha, the one time I'm up your way you will be down here! Man I am really bum'd you and CT will miss it, especially since this thing has kinda been your baby. But you gotta do whatcha gotta do, we will have plenty of time to hunt together or just hang out.
I'm hoping that I'll be able to at least break away for a few hours in the evening to meet up during the smack talking sessions.

If for no other reason than to shake some hands that are long past due.
I'm still in grin I sure am having one hell of a time picking a rifle though
Can anybody give me directions to this campsite, and is anybody coming early in the week?
Where are ya coming from mirage? I'll be more than happy to help ya out.

Do you have a GPS?
Up I-65, I have my hunting GPS, but not one of those Tom Tom things. I'm real good with directions though, if you could just get me close I'll find her, thanks, Bill
If you are near Decatur, you can cut through there and head over to Moulton. From Moulton you can take 33 South. When you get to the game check station off of 33, you've gone about 1/4 mile too far. Turn around, go back North on 33 for 1/4 mile, and it's on your right.

If you are South of Decatur, take the exit for Cullman/Double Springs. Once you get into Double Springs, take 33 North. Once you pass the game check station on your left, the camp is 1/4 mile North on your right.

I'll write down the GPS coordinates I took from the entrance, for you tomorrow.
Got it, thank you sir, hope you can get over there one evening.
Anyone coming early in the week?
Unless something changes Thursday afternoon is when I plan on arriving.
I'm gonna be there Tuesday night, I can save campsites for you guys if you want. Let me know.
With all the rain we have had lately and the continued rain I see in the forecast I have to ask about the road conditions out there?

Hope that rains moves on through before the weekend.
If ya get stuck we'll get you out, I got the technology . . .lol

I'm not hearing much from the others that are supposed to be coming to this deal, is it gonna be just me, you and George?
Hell I hope not, but if so we'll have a good time!

Will update this week with phone numbers and a good list of who is coming!
Alright looks like rain has been pushed out of the forecast, lets hope it stays that way!

I'm not hearing much from the others that are supposed to be coming to this deal, is it gonna be just me, you and George?

we are still in the works for a thursday afternoon arrival and would appreciate the "hold" on a campsite for us. thank you in advance.
Velvet Tines, I'll save you one for sure, I'm gonna be there Tuesday afternoon or at the latest Wednesday morning.

Matt, you and George just need one spot, right?
Hello,

I hunted the opposite side yesterday for the first time. Missed a small 10 point. Guess you can say I buck fever. Lol. It was behind the camping area your talking about staying at. Best thing about this place as it has no pines, well not like most places! Anyway, I see you guys are going up next week. Any chance I could come on Saturday. I can't make any other days for work and would like any Advice on where to hunt on the A side. Never hunted that side either. Thanks.
You are more than welcome to come! Not sure any of us really have a good plan or have done much scouting out there. Kinda flying by the seat of our pants!
Thanks. Count me in. I'll be up Saturday morning. Don't kill them all!!
i guess standard camping gear is in order? propane stove for cooking? can we have a campfire?

thinking about bringing something for the grill, maybe marinating some chicken. would like a rough estimate of those attending so we can have enough thursday night.

Alright the transmission in the RV I was going to borrow just went out. So I will be kicking it tent and sleeping bag style! Now I gotta go find all my gear! George and I will need two separate spots as he and his dad are in a RV if I'm not mistaken. It's getting close guys!
Matt, I have a wall tent with wood stove that I'm not using, if you want me to bring it, let me know, your more than welcome to it.
For real that would be awesome! I'd gladly take you up on that offer!
You got it, when are you coming? Thursday still? PM me your number.
Will do I'm coming up Thursday around lunch time.
Ok guys since it is almost time to start arriving at camp I figured I'd start a information post that others can copy, add their info to and repost. It would be nice to get a solid head count so we can make some plans.

444Matt-
Matt Pair 205-641-2229

I will be arriving Thursday around lunch time and graciously using Mirage 243's wall tent and stove. I will bring a 22" weber charcoal grill, a coleman lantern, and spare personal size coleman heater for somebody staying in a small tent to use if they need it. I have two small bottles of fuel (propane) but someone might want to bring extra bottles if they need to use the heater.

Food wise I'll be bringing pretty simple sandwich stuff and snacks for myself, probably some chicken to throw on the grill at some point, bottled water and some cokes. Oh and that bottle of Buffalo Trace I owe George! I am super excited.
brenda 251-513-0313

besides the tent, tarp, sleeping bags - we will bring a fish cooker with 20lb propane tank, coleman stove, buddy heater with 4 one pound bottles, 6 foot table, dedicated ice cooler, couple of cast iron skillets and my "ferriday box" (cooking utensils that i take on fishing trips. pretty much anything we would need is in box).

from what i can tell, the site does not have running water?
Correct no running water from what I was told.
My number is 256-610-1737, if I don't have it, we don't need it. . . .I have my hunting trailer and it's loaded to the gills with all kinds of equipment. I just pulled 2 boston butts off the smoker, will save them till one night late in the week. If we cqn find water, I even have a way for us to have a quick shower. I'll bring 20-30 gallons, but we may need to find more. I'll give an update tomorrow after I get there, I may have to drive a little for phone service, but I'll get it done. Please post who else needs me to save spots.
There is a chance I may come in late Thursday evening/night to hunt Friday and leave Friday night. If I can make it I'll call Matt as I'm on the way for a list of any last minute/needed items to pick up.

Jay, 256-605-4945

Hey Mirage 243 what's it like up there, did you get set up today?
I'm here, just drove 12 miles to get service, have camp set up and spot's marked off. Will update around noon tomorrow, cell service not good. May canreceive a text, but it took an hour and a half to get one out.
Cold as [bleep] this morning, 24 degree's. . . . .little bit of service on the south east side.
Man, I'm already jealous. I'm glad you found the place Mirage! It took me forever to locate it because there where no signs.

For cell service you pretty much have to drive into Double Springs. Do yourself a favor and swing by the Ranger station to pick up a map. They're like $9 but well worth it.

My classes go from 4pm until 10pm here in Birmingham so I don't think I'll even be able to make it at all, unless some of you are still hanging around on Saturday. I could stop in to shake some hands on my way back to Huntsville.
People yet on their way should bring lots of firewood. It rained for pretty much a week straight so all the wood out in the woods is soaked to the core.
Got a map . . . .yes, bring more firewood.
I am coming! Let me know if we can bring anything!

The Ethical question of the day is should I bring my .280 or my .243?
Bring both! grin
Really got my Cheerios pissed in today at work. Looks like I will not be able to make it up there until Friday evening! I can bring up plenty of firewood to get us through the weekend, and anything else you guys can think of that we need.

Without any time to scout or look around I am hoping one of you guys can point me in a general direction to do some good once I get up there.
Talk to George wink
Having not killed in four years, I would gladly reward the right guide who could put me on the "doe" stand with a nice knife made in Starkville, MS
Talked to Mirage 243 this evening, there are animals being taken, both hog and deer. I can't wait to get up there tomorrow evening. My truck is all packed and ready to roll.
Good. Hope y'all can help me get my first Alabama
Deer.
I'm trying to get a sitter. My usual isn't available and wife is working. I may be home with the kids instead. Sorry guys.
Well, got my lucky knife back from a friend today. He was making me a new sheath for it. She is sharpened up and ready to skin, good luck to all that can make it out. It looks like it might just be the Mirage and 444Matt show.
Stoping off at Jack's should make camp in 1/2 hour
What time should be there in the morning?
I'm not sure rain should stop by 8am I hope to be hunting then why don't you swing by at like 7 or 730
Let Mirage make that final call though.
Sorry I couldn't make it this time. Good luck tomorrow!
pete has a cold and my sinuses are running crazy so we knew there was no way we could tent camp and have any hope of getting better. we made plans to visit relatives in north alabama with a detour to the camp to shake some hands.

arrived in cullman late wednesday night and it was cold. next morning we drove to the check in station at black warrior. spoke with the area biologist, matt brock, and he said it was 19 degrees when he arrived for work and that it was now 25. woowee, it was crisp and fine deer hunting weather, if you were well.

left a note under the coffee pot for mirage243 and headed north. stopped at a trading post (sensationalized convenience store) in wren to buy some maps and then went to visit some kin folk. we had hoped to return that night to visit mirage243 but the family wanted to make dinner and who would turn down a home cooked meal?

decided to head home friday and returned to the camp around 3:30ish to see if anyone was there. mirage243 was still in the woods so we left some coffee cakes and hit the road. birmingham traffic was awful. waited an hour for a wreck to clear and arrived home around 11ish last night.

summary:
the bankhead national forest/black warrior management/sipsey wilderness area is stunning. the terrain does not make for an "easy hunt". there are very steep ravines and plenty of rock. you had best hope to drop a deer where the dragging, carrying is gonna be slightly downhill to where you are going or it's gonna be a long, slow process to get it back. with so many hardwoods, the woods are "more open" than they are along the coastal part of the state.

squirrel nests are very abundant and the squirrels we saw are large.

we were told that hogs are also abundant and there was one hanging in camp friday night.

you can never predict alabama weather. it could have been in the 60s or it could have been in the teens, as it was this week. the highs were in the 40s, which was nice, but those cold nights on the ground will get you.

best of luck to those who hunt. maybe we will be blessed with better health next year or, can get us a hunting trailer set up like mirage has. it was a nice set up.
Checking in to see how everybody is doing. Hope there are bloody knives everywhere. Looking forward to seeing pics.

Good luck and stay safe.
Can someone please post the correct dates for this hunt. I think Matt444 and myself got our dates confused. . . .lol

Will update later
Can someone please post the correct dates for this hunt. I think Matt444 and myself got our dates confused. . . .lol

i'm guessing no one showed? i had a feeling folks wouldn't make it due to the low temps. if we had not been under the weather, you two would have had us bunking nearby.

i took a few pictures while we rode through the area and the campsite.

this may be the wall tent for matt:
[Linked Image]

mirage's hunting trailer:
[Linked Image]

the vault toilet:
[Linked Image]

someone scored:
[Linked Image]

nice fire (bet you kept it running 24/7):
[Linked Image]

pine torch church:
[Linked Image]
There was one campfire member who will remain anonymous for now...who found a new 2 legged dear to chase. Lost his mind, his priorities and just went fool in the moonlight.....ditched his hunting partner and went buck wild

Will update later

Let me just say that the Mirage/Matt Camp out rocked!

Too many folks had stuff come up and I hate that, really was looking forward to meeting a lot of you, hope we can work that out again.

The hospitality and generosity of Bill aka Mirage243 is unmatched. This guy set me up with a first class wall tent to stay in, played camp cook for all of us and was master of the actual campfire. On top of that the guy saw more deer than anyone else in camp plus killed two yotes.

I made some new friends, saw a ton of new land more hog sign than I though possible and had an amazing time.

A few pictures:

Bill's campfire at about half size, when I arrived Friday night it was almost 4 feet tall
[Linked Image]

Getting set up in my awesome accommodations for the weekend. Wall tent plus wood stove equals a warm and toasty Matt
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We had breakfast for dinner one night, again Mirage243 cooked. I made myself a turkey egg and bacon sandwich and I swear it was one of the best things I've ate in forever. It might have been the cold air and long day of hunting, but I swear it was great.
[Linked Image]

On the actual hunting, like I said I saw ton of sign, just no animals I could take. Hard going into an area blind, these guys did a good job pointing me in the right direction though, I believe the better days to hunt were Wednesday and Thursday, just not much moving Saturday and Sunday. Here is a shot of one of the trails, you can see on each side where the hogs have rooted. This is not even one of the more tore up areas!
[Linked Image]

A great swamp/bottom area I walked this morning, nothing there but a doe I almost hit with my truck driving in!

[Linked Image]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/alb...-A08B-D8FC1A86DD93_zpsr1cngo3p.jpg[/img]

Now yall make sure and let me and Bill know when the actual Bama Deer round up is.
<grin>

Thanks for the pics, Matt. I'm still bummed that I couldn't make it, and told my little brother more than once that if I didn't really like him, I'd have been in Alabama, deer hunting.

Also Mark aka hugajackass stopped by Friday on his way back home from the class/school he was taking in B'ham. Very cool to finally meet him face to face. Hate you missed out man, but you gotta take care of family!

We are going to try and do another hunt, maybe more towards the eastern side of the state.

Also met some great guys not from the website who were sharing the same campsite. Really good folks.
It really was a pleasure to meet Matt and Bill. I only got the one hour with these guys and that was enough to know that hanging out with them for a full week would be a great time indeed.

No deer died in this get together but some pigs and coyotes met their fate.

I'm sorry that I missed Velvet_Tines and Pete. It's near impossible to camp out in the cold when you're sick. Bad timing and our loss.

I look forwards to the next one if for no other reason than to share a fire with Bill and Matt again. Two finer lads are hard to come by.
Originally Posted by rdinak
There was one campfire member who will remain anonymous for now...who found a new 2 legged dear to chase. Lost his mind, his priorities and just went fool in the moonlight.....ditched his hunting partner and went buck wild

Bro's before doe's man!
Originally Posted by rdinak

*Points thumbs* This guy

Bro's before doe's man!

99% of the time, yes. Does not apply to redheads whistle
Well, I had an awesome time, it was really great to meet Matt and Mark, hopefully we can do this again sometime and more guys can make it. Thanks to Brenda and Pete for stopping by, hopefully you guys are feeling better. Incredible country there, access is tough, but the exercise was good for us. We met and made new friends with other hunters there and introduced them to 24hourcampfire.com and they'll be members soon. May try to put together a deal for Talladega soon.
Talladega would be cool. That's new stomping grounds for me!

Bro's before doe's man!

99% of the time, yes. Does not apply to redheads whistle

laugh

Bring her along!

Hey man, I'm staying in the Drury Hotel in Birmingham off of the Lakeshore exit. You should stop by!
All right you goobers. 2013 Alabama Deer Round Up PART DEUX!!

Or Mirage243 and 444Matt ride again, whatever

We are putting together another hunt for anyone that wants to tag along. We are hunting the Childersburg side of the Talledega National Forest.

Campsite will be here:
http://desotocavernspark.com/camping.php

Be warned you do have to make reservations to hold you a camping spot, but they are really really nice (free wifi even)

Dates are Jan 17-20th.

I hope you can all make it.

Matt
I'll be there . . . . .that's how I roll.
Wow Crickets.....

Wow Crickets.....

No Schit
Well hey, maybe we can get another play by play from Velvet Tines

wish we could but we have an annual hunt that we attend at conecuh springs christian school. it's a fund raiser that we are proud to support. have been fortunate to bring home some nice deer from bullock county.

good luck guys and be safe.
I'd love to partake of this hunt - but am teaching a class at church for 3 sunday afternoons starting Jan 12. I somehow missed this hunt the first time but likely wouldn't have made it - its still deer season here in TN but ends 1/5/14. I'd be interested in future hunts and meet some of the Alabama guys.

I have a 14x16 outfitter tent and a 9x10 canvas plus all the equipment to make it pretty comfy. I hunted AL (handy to Heflin) last year in December and it was too early to get into rutting bucks. This January hunt should be close to perfect.
I Just Was Looking At Marango School Hunt,This Seem Like more My Style Of Hunting. Got Several Gal. of Apple And Peach Brandy That I Could Bring, For The Faint At Heart.
All are welcome, the more the merrier.
All right you goobers. 2013 Alabama Deer Round Up PART DEUX!!

Or Mirage243 and 444Matt ride again, whatever

We are putting together another hunt for anyone that wants to tag along. We are hunting the Childersburg side of the Talledega National Forest.

Campsite will be here:
http://desotocavernspark.com/camping.php

Be warned you do have to make reservations to hold you a camping spot, but they are really really nice (free wifi even)

Dates are Jan 17-20th.

I hope you can all make it.

Matt

I've got 6 more courses to take for certs, and that will take from Jan 6th until Jan 27th....

Afraid I'm out frown
Anyone know if that redhead killed George?
Redhead,Lord have mercy he has bit off more than he can chew!
Both my Sisters are True redheads with the tempers to match!
AMRA
I don't know if she killed him yet, but when I saw them Saturday afternoon she was dragging him around by the nap of the neck. . . . .he's in lots of trouble. . . .trust me.
Would he even know what to do with a redhead?
Think she done put a spell on him...
Stay strong George! Those redheads are a rare and tough breed!

Everyone have a very Merry Christmas!
Did that vixen let George survive Christmas?
You fellas sure are going to miss out on the Mirage and 444 campout/hunt.

Got the tent back, zippers all fixed and in good shape.
Sure, rub it in!

santa brought me a new sleeping pad and a 9" laplander that need to see some use.
What is a laplander?
When can I report my 2014 deer?
Anyone know if that redhead killed George?

She gave it her best shot, but I'm still alive and kickin'
I don't know if she killed him yet, but when I saw them Saturday afternoon she was dragging him around by the nap of the neck. . . . .he's in lots of trouble. . . .trust me.

Nah, somehow I will solider on grin

A gentleman doesn't kiss and tell.

I thought they were asking you George? grin

The bucks are starting to get busy here in NE AL. Just now starting and this one was after the ladies this past weekend. Getting him off the mountain about killed me...and beat him up pretty bead. The next couple of weeks should be GOOD....

[Linked Image]
Good looking buck, Jay.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

I thought they were asking you George? grin

The bucks are starting to get busy here in NE AL. Just now starting and this one was after the ladies this past weekend. Getting him off the mountain about killed me...and beat him up pretty bead. The next couple of weeks should be GOOD....

[Linked Image]

Dang! Nice Buck!
Me and the son-in law have been in the woods EVERY Weekend and have not seen ANYTHING!
I really wanted a Meat Doe during Doe Season but NOTHING!
Whats real bad is my next door neighbors have all taken 2 plus
deer and REALLY like rubbing it in that I have struck out for over a decade now!
But that is why it is called hunting.
Congrats to you
AMRA
AMRA, you've been hunting for ten years and haven't been able to kill a deer?
Nope been hunting been hunting total time since the late 1970`s
to now so that is A WHILE now.
Last 2 deer I have taken have been 1 Doe near Mt. Cheaha late 1990`s
I spike a year later at some private land
Most of my family and guys I have worked with will tell you
that I am a nice guy but also a WALKING JINX,BAD LUCK,CURSED
what ever when it comes to hunting.
I have even lost some buddies because of my Bad Karma that a
fortune teller said I had a the County Fair Many years ago.
I have long thought about giving it all up and get rid of ALL
my hunting stuff but My late Father did not raise a Quitter.
AMRA
Hello, all
New Member as you can see first post smile But I am planning a trip into Bankhead this weekend with my son to try some pig hunting. Never have hunted them before and with all of the caliber restrictions with the WMA's within where do you all head to go after pigs? I have heard above Addison is good and has a pretty large pig population but I do not know where would be a good place to head in and not be traipsing around on private property

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and man that was a good looking deer

Thanks
Rick
Rick, welcome to the fire. There is not a bad place to hunt hogs in Bankhead, they are EVERYWHERE. Get a map from the ranger station and have at it, I would try anyhere in the Sypsey Wilderness area first, good luck, Bill
Rick,

Welcome to the Campfire, sir! Glad you are able to join us.

Bankhead is loaded with oinkers. There is pig sign everywhere.

If you're worried about caliber concerns in the WMA, there is still a ton of National Forest land that is not WMA there.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get out much this year so I'm afraid I can't be much help as to where they're all congregating at the moment. You may want to PM mirage243 or Matt444 as I know one of those fella's took a few pigs home from this get together.

Best of luck and let us know what ya find out there!
Mark aka HAJ
laugh

Beat me to it!
Thanks guys. Well had a great camping trip. Decided to camp at the hunters campsite on the side of 33 just north of FR208. Someone was successful because when we showed up there were some hog legs in the fire ring smile

We headed into the wma above haygood creek and hiked/hunted it from 233 back down to 208/207 man it was tore up there.. rooted everywhere. Unfortunately im not experienced enough hunting hogs yet to tell age of the trace but it was everywhere. didnt see anything but the forest is beautiful even if the terrain is a little rough for an guy. We will be going back more and next time we will hike in and camp inside the forest instead of using the hunters camp
That sounds like it was a good time! I know that the piggies are all over the place there. It's just a matter of time before you cross paths with some.

I hope to cross paths with ya myself. Good luck out there!
It was a great time.. you planning on going anytime between march 1st and 15th? We are thinking about camping innthat first weekend.
Right now, every hour of every day is spent trying to find a job. If that works out and I land one soon, I'll reward myself with a weekend in the woods. So, I'm hoping that March could work out.

Just a FYI, there is another camp site that is strictly primitive camping that I've quite enjoyed setting up a tent at, called the Wolf Pen.

It's off of 60 and is usually empty. I have found that place to be rather charming as campers will often leave wood piles nicely stacked for the next camper to use for firewood. The one time I did run into somebody there I woke up in the morning to find that they were neighborly enough to put a log on my fire for me. When I returned to camp after hunting that day, they were gone, but had left me more wood.

Are there plans for next this season yet? After this long ass winter we had up here, I'd love some southern hunting!
You'd be more than welcome to come on down.

Heck, if you don't want to wait until deer season, I can put ya into some pigs! smile
Turkey season starts Saturday as well.
Bill and I have talked a little about doing another hunt up there this season. The hog sign is unreal, there are great sized bucks coming out of there, the terrain will whip your butt that is for sure.
© 24hourcampfire