Home
Posted By: whelennut I need a chain saw - 10/24/13
My retirement home will have a wood fired boiler for heat.
Who makes a good quality chainsaw?
What features are important?
Whelennut
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: I need a chain saw - 10/24/13
Plenty of good out there, I've got a Stihl that's done me very well. Size of the saw depends on what size logs you intend on bucking.

I'd get something for which there is someone fairly close that services them, in the event it takes a dump on you. Unless you're fairly handy with them yourself.
Posted By: RandyR Re: I need a chain saw - 10/24/13
We have a stihl 029,026 and I just picked up another nice 029 toady at the pawn shop for $150. I am trying to pickup a 039 from a friend and Stihl's have run pretty good for us. A brand new Husky froze up last year when the Stihl's kept running.
Posted By: acooper1983 Re: I need a chain saw - 10/24/13
get a stihl, how much wood are you planning on bucking up, and how big of logs. If your depending on it like that, i would go for one of the stihl professional series. a ms362R will go to 25" bar which i would think should be plenty big, its a wood chewin sunnova bitch to. I dont rely on my saw day in day out, but it gets worked good, ive got an older stihl 038 that has done me well. Uncle has one of the ms362rs and a big ass 440magnum (i think) stihl and those things RIP. Im a stihl fan for everything outdoor power equip
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: I need a chain saw - 10/24/13
[Linked Image]
dolmar 7900s are a good saw for the cash, but not a lot of dolmar dealers as compared to stihl, least not round here.
Get a Stihl.

Mine starts every time and cuts wood. That's all you need them to do.
can you tell us a little about how you plan to use the saw, size of trees, how much wood you plan to buck up/yr etc. can help us more accuratly gauge what kind of power your gonna need.
Posted By: Jocko_Slugshot Re: I need a chain saw - 10/24/13
Stihl is what I own.

Echo would be my second choice.
Posted By: ol_skool Re: I need a chain saw - 10/24/13
Stihl or Husqvarna. Which ever is serviced locally. More expensive than Poulan, Echo, Josered, etc. There's a reason for that. Your dealer has whatever size you decide you need.

Between the 2 doesn't matter. Some like like Husky, fast chain speed. Some like Stihl, pulls like a tractor. You can tell which is which in the woods. Husky's scream, Sthil's grunt. Eventually ended up with one of each.

If you're not sure call up few local loggers and ask them what they use.

Steve
Orygun
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: I need a chain saw - 10/24/13
[Linked Image]
Posted By: northern_dave Re: I need a chain saw - 10/24/13
Hey, I love chainsaw posts, way more than I love calling out big stick posts.

Jonsered/husky for me, but I wouldn't thumb my nose at a stihl

professional series is the way to go in any.

I have a larger chassis jonsered with a moderately sized bar (20")

It works good for me but I'd like to compliment it with a much lighter limber.

Come on now, Husky/Jonsered is like Chevy/GMC

Posted By: NH Hunter Re: I need a chain saw - 10/24/13

Go find several local dealers who also provide service/parts. Handle the different models and sizes. They each have their own ergonomics - I prefer a straight handle, some prefer angled. The size and type of wood you plan on cutting will help determine how big of an engine and bar you want/need. Weight is a big issue, don't discount a light correctly powered saw.

Buy a chaps, a helmet with a face shield and an power chain sharpener from Northern Tool - it will pay for itself in a year.
Posted By: 1minute Re: I need a chain saw - 10/24/13
Stihl or Husky, whichever has a nearby service center. Put some thought, however, into the size that will satisfy ones needs.

I overdid it on one of my saws, and it rarely gets used.
Posted By: whelennut Re: I need a chain saw - 10/24/13
I am trying to feed a HeatMasterSS wood fired boiler.
I have no clue how much wood I will go through in a winter.
Woodbox is 42" deep. I would guess I would have to feed it twice a day. I am leaning towards a Stihl 290 with 20" bar.
whelennut
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Hey, I love chainsaw posts, way more than I love calling out big stick posts.

Jonsered/husky for me, but I wouldn't thumb my nose at a stihl

professional series is the way to go in any.

I have a larger chassis jonsered with a moderately sized bar (20")

It works good for me but I'd like to compliment it with a much lighter limber.

I have a Jonsered 2165 with a 20 and a 16 inch bar. Picked up a Husky 142 off craigslist for limbing and very happy with the pair.
Posted By: pira114 Re: I need a chain saw - 10/24/13
Husqvarna 372xp. It'll be the last one you need.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: I need a chain saw - 10/24/13
Originally Posted by ol_skool
Stihl or Husqvarna. Which ever is serviced locally.More expensive than Poulan, Echo, Josered, etc. There's a reason for that. Your dealer has whatever size you decide you need.

Between the 2 doesn't matter. Some like like Husky, fast chain speed. Some like Stihl, pulls like a tractor. You can tell which is which in the woods. Husky's scream, Sthil's grunt. Eventually ended up with one of each.

If you're not sure call up few local loggers and ask them what they use.

Steve
Orygun

This Gentleman has given you the best advice.
Posted By: vapodog Re: I need a chain saw - 10/24/13
I'm quite happy with my Husky.....owned it about a year and it functions quite well....starts easy too.
Posted By: tzone Re: I need a chain saw - 10/24/13
I have a Stihl 250. I font cut a bunch of wood bit it's cut WAY, way, way more than it was meant to, and I've never had an issue. It starts within a fee pulls, and keeps chugging through wood it shouldn't.

I'd have zero issues with a big Jonsred pro series either. They sound like a "hot saw" and cut like one too. The big reds are a bit heavy though.
Originally Posted by vapodog
I'm quite happy with my Husky.....owned it about a year and it functions quite well....starts easy too.

Same here, but every now and then it can be a cow to re-start.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: I need a chain saw - 10/24/13
Stihl.
I miss my 50cc saw.... 50 to mid 50's cubic displacement is just a nice homeowner/woodcutter size IMO.

Not too heavy.

I'd look at stihl MS 261 or Husq 550 XP.

16 or 18 inch bar.

The husq might be a bit lighter, both 50cc saws.

Originally Posted by NH Hunter

I have a Jonsered 2165 with a 20 and a 16 inch bar.

Same here.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the tip on the little husky
Posted By: sierrabravo45 Re: I need a chain saw - 10/24/13
Originally Posted by whelennut
My retirement home will have a wood fired boiler for heat.
Who makes a good quality chainsaw?
What features are important?
Whelennut

Stihl

Zombie Protection, Quick Start Up,

I would buy this one.

[Linked Image]

I'd wait for generation 2 with a chainbrake... smile
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: I need a chain saw - 10/24/13
Husky won't do ya wrong.
Posted By: Scott F Re: I need a chain saw - 10/24/13
If you want a saw that will last, not need expensive parts and service, not need 2 cycle oil and last a lifetime then you need THIS SAW
Posted By: Toddly Re: I need a chain saw - 10/24/13
I have a Husky and a Stihl. Get the Stihl!
Posted By: bucktail Re: I need a chain saw - 10/24/13
I like my Stihl MS440. I don't spend much time cutting wood anymore; mostly hauling and splitting.
Posted By: Westcoaster Re: I need a chain saw - 10/24/13
As some folks have already mentioned sizing the saw for the application is important. I made my living with a chainsaw for a number of years, killed a lot of trees and cut a whole lot up - mostly bigger than most people ever see.

Back then it was Stihl or Husky. I was partial to the Husky, a little less power than the Stihl but tougher, required less screwing around to keep it going. When I started my own outfit I bought Husky 2100's.

Having stated my personal preference and I still do own both and would not hesitate to buy a Stihl. The professional series of either would be the last saw you ever bought.

In the second tier the Jonsared's are okay and the Sach Dolmars have good power but I have not found either to be as dependable or economical to run under heavy day to day use. Although they are probably okay for what you are describing.

Echo, Poulan, Homelite, etc boat anchors.

Posted By: pira114 Re: I need a chain saw - 10/24/13
Originally Posted by Scott F
If you want a saw that will last, not need expensive parts and service, not need 2 cycle oil and last a lifetime then you need THIS SAW

Scott, the only problem with that saw is that it's a two man saw. Every time I need to cut wood, I suddenly have no friends.
Originally Posted by pira114
Originally Posted by Scott F

Scott, the only problem with that saw is that it's a two man saw. Every time I need to cut wood, I suddenly have no friends.

Isn't that the truth.
Posted By: minnmarcus Re: I need a chain saw - 10/24/13
Stihl 029 or what has replaced it.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: I need a chain saw - 10/24/13
Originally Posted by huntsman22
[Linked Image]

THIS, except they don't make it anymore. I guess the MS260 is the closest to it. Google "muffler mod" once its broken in. Get some good "non-safety" chain once you are competent enough to handle it. This sized saw is THE saw for your first, unless you can deadlift 450# or so cold, then by all means upsize. If not, you'll have more than you can handle for all-day use. My next saw will be a Stihl 660, but I don't plan to run it all day.
© 24hourcampfire