Home
Posted By: 444Matt A good hatchet - 11/02/13
I'd like to pick up a GOOD hatchet. Something better than the normal stuff found at Lowes and other hardware stores. Will be using it for camping and for when I am splitting firewood. I figure someone here can recommend a few good ones and tell me what to look for.
Posted By: Dogballs Re: A good hatchet - 11/02/13
Gransfors makes some nice ones.
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: A good hatchet - 11/02/13
Find a vintage USA made Plumb , it's just as good as any made.

Mike
Posted By: seal_billy Re: A good hatchet - 11/02/13
Wetterlings makes a really good ax and it isn't as expensive as a gransfors. A fiskars ax is ok not as good as the others but better than wally world speacials. I have a fiskars that has served me well for about 4 years and it sharpens really good. I can shave my arm with it. I use it to build duck blinds out of brush. The only con is the back side isn't a good hammer but it does the job.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: A good hatchet - 11/02/13
Originally Posted by Dogballs

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/products/Gransfors+Bruks/Gransfors+Bruks%26%23153%3B+Wildlife+Hatchet/GB415.html

I was looking at this one, this and similar ones advertise that they use Swedish Steel, is that really something better than other steel?
Posted By: OIDabble Re: A good hatchet - 11/02/13
Go with the plumb,I have three of them from I was doing hand scribe log structures.Take the cheeks off and you can shave with it.Cheap and they do the job,most will be lost before they are wore out.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: A good hatchet - 11/02/13
Gransfors, Wetterlings/Husqy, Norlund, all the high dollar Swedish ones are good+.

If you want a great hatchet that will chop as good as the high dollar ones and won't break the bank, this one is by FAR the best IMO. Fiskars made in Finland. There is no hatchet made even close to as good at this price point and YOU CAN buy it at Lowes/Home Depot. Here is one the many great reviews you will find on it:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/837501-REVIEW-The-new-Fiskars-X7-14-quot-Hatchet

If you search, you can find lots of reviews on it comparing it very favorably to the high dollar Swedish models.............

Posted By: Fireball2 Re: A good hatchet - 11/02/13
Lotta guys hoard the old ones they find at garage sales and the like. Imagine that, hoarding?!
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: A good hatchet - 11/02/13
For an equivalent to many of today's stainless/synthetic rifles in the hatchet department, look at those which Fiskars offers. They have quite a good selection of sizes and they are very handy and packable. I have used one of them for the past two decades, mostly for cutting, not splitting, but the number of alders and willows it has cut would make a tremendous pile. The high quality steel head holds a good cutting edge well, while the polymer handle is very much tougher than it feels. I have used mine into deep cold (-20/-30� F) without failure.

I love the handmade quality of Gransfors, and perhaps they would be the hatchet equivalent of wood/blued rifles. smile In either case, Scandinavia won't steer you wrong for wood cutting purposes.
The used Plumbs on Ebay and such are much cheaper than the Gransfors and Wetterlings.
Posted By: norm99 Re: A good hatchet - 11/02/13
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Lotta guys hoard the old ones they find at garage sales and the like. Imagine that, hoarding?!

WHO me yes any old ones that I find ,hatchets axes froes adz draw knives spoke shaves bridge slicks. grin
Posted By: Scott F Re: A good hatchet - 11/02/13
Matt, Sorry but I do not have any good hatchet heads in my collection at this time or there would be in a brown truck on the way. I recommend you look around at garage or estate sales, junk or antique stores , and ask around where ever you see an old barn. As mentioned above Plumb made good great heads.

I will keep my eyes open this week as the wife and I take a week to mosey around spending five days to drive the normal 235 mile drive home. We will not travel any four lane and will see lots of real country. If I can find a good head I will clean it up, hang it and get it to you for shipping.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: A good hatchet - 11/02/13
Been slumming this Gransfor for about 9 years

[Linked Image]

Before that I used the [bleep] out of a Gerber, mostly seeing use running a trapline.
Posted By: Pugs Re: A good hatchet - 11/02/13

Yep - what I bought - Hatchet
Posted By: SBTCO Re: A good hatchet - 11/02/13
American made choices. Nothing wrong with the Gransfors but more coin and a little too hard for my liking in an axe. I have used both the Peavey and Snow and Neally. The Peavey is the best buy and use a Hudson Bay pattern for the last several years splitting fire wood before it comes into the house. The S&N have been inconsistent in quality. I have one that is really good and couple others that weren't worth the money. I have heard good things about Council, but not used one as yet.

http://store.peaveymfg.com/cart/category/2021/Axe_Line/1/

http://www.counciltool.com/product.asp?pg=product&item=17HB18

http://cspoutdoors.com/snowneallyaxes.html
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: A good hatchet - 11/02/13
I've got the Keen Cutter my Grandfather carried on the trapline through the depression. Much thicker through the blade leading up to the cutting edge than my S-I-Ls Gransfor, doesn't chop as well, but splits fairly well.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Been slumming this Gransfor for about 9 years

[Linked Image]

Before that I used the [bleep] out of a Gerber, mostly seeing use running a trapline.

A man after my own heart, a Marlin sporting XS Sights.

A great review on that Fiskars, but for this one I am going to go a bit old school with wood handle and all.

Originally Posted by Scott F
Matt, Sorry but I do not have any good hatchet heads in my collection at this time or there would be in a brown truck on the way. I recommend you look around at garage or estate sales, junk or antique stores , and ask around where ever you see an old barn. As mentioned above Plumb made good great heads.

I will keep my eyes open this week as the wife and I take a week to mosey around spending five days to drive the normal 235 mile drive home. We will not travel any four lane and will see lots of real country. If I can find a good head I will clean it up, hang it and get it to you for shipping.

Scott, I am not in a hurry and one hand picked by you would be very nice. Just let me know when you find something good and tell me how much $ to send. I very much like the idea of putting new life in an old tool.
We leave on our trip up the coast tomorrow. I may not be on the fire for several days but I will let you know what I find.
Thank you Scott!
If I remember right I owe you several favors and this is one I will have fun trying to return. grin
Posted By: levrluvr Re: A good hatchet - 11/02/13
I have several Estwing hatchets and axes.
American made, affordable, and every bit as good as their hammers.
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: A good hatchet - 11/02/13
Originally Posted by levrluvr
I have several Estwing hatchets and axes.
American made, affordable, and every bit as good as their hammers.

And it is darn hard to break a handle.
Kind of hard to carve a new handle too!
Posted By: GeoW Re: A good hatchet - 11/02/13
Most bang for the buck.. from Sweden.

Husky

Can be had for around $35..
Posted By: Stush Re: A good hatchet - 11/02/13
http://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/products/forest-axes/gransfors-wildlife-hatchet/

That one is hard to beat. I have it and the small version of it.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: A good hatchet - 11/02/13
I have two Wetterlings. One a 12 inch handle, the other 19. They are Swedish, hand forged and priced right. For a number of years, they have done anything asked of them.
[Linked Image]
Snow & Neally are absoulte JUNK now. Made in China.........
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: A good hatchet - 11/02/13
How about a good hatchet INJURY story?

I have seen many inept or inexperienced outdoorsman chop and whack themselves with the short axe!!!

Mike laugh
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: A good hatchet - 11/02/13
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Gransfors, Wetterlings/Husqy, Norlund, all the high dollar Swedish ones are good+.

If you want a great hatchet that will chop as good as the high dollar ones and won't break the bank, this one is by FAR the best IMO. Fiskars made in Finland. There is no hatchet made even close to as good at this price point and YOU CAN buy it at Lowes/Home Depot. Here is one the many great reviews you will find on it:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/837501-REVIEW-The-new-Fiskars-X7-14-quot-Hatchet

If you search, you can find lots of reviews on it comparing it very favorably to the high dollar Swedish models.............

The Fiskars/Gerber ones are great. Stay sharp for a long time and the handle seems robust. I've chopped a lot of campfire wood with mine.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: A good hatchet - 11/02/13
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

I have seen many inept or inexperienced outdoorsman chop and whack themselves with the short axe!!!

Mike laugh

funny you brought that up.

Yesterday, while camping in the Ocala NF, I was using the 19 inch ax to cut up some kindling. A piece flew up, and smacked me in the face. Thank goodness I was at least wearing my safety goggles.
Hit me in the eye, then skidded off the goggles to gouge my forehead.
Since I take blood thinners for the ticker, I bled like a damn stuck pig for half an hour until I could get that under control.
Wore a large compress the rest of the day. Now, it's just a lump with a huge scab.
And they sharpen easily as well. I know they are drop-forged stainless. Maybe Swedish Sandvik steel........
Posted By: WildWest Re: A good hatchet - 11/02/13
There are some great U tube videos on how to use an ax properly.

Mike laugh

How about this one: wink

It must have been around 1978. I was hunting to the western foothills of the Cascades in search of a nice blacktail buck and I had a bear tag in my pocket just in case. The trees were still big back in those days and the brush was thick but I kept on walking in the deep forest toward a brighter looking place ahead of me. Suddenly I found myself in a natural meadow where the grass was over knee high and there were ancient apple and pear trees loaded with fall fruit.

Knowing deer and bears both cannot resist a good apple I stood and watched the meadow for wildlife for an hour of more before cautiously working my way into the old orchard.

I marveled at the fortitude of the early western settlers and wondered who had homestead this meadow and planted these trees. I found the fallen remains of an old cabin and barn. Then I saw it, my heart was broken, there laying partially under a huge hand hewn beam from the barn was an old hatchet, it's handle broken and mostly rotted away. An injured hatchet, laying under that huge beam for untold years with no one to help it. I was snapped into action and began digging with my hands to see if I could rescue it and perhaps with modern hatchet medical care it might live once again but when I got it uncovered I saw the eye had been split and there was no life left in the old tool.

It is buried in an unmarked grave there among the apple and pear trees. I hope it finds peace.

Posted By: ruffcutt Re: A good hatchet - 11/02/13
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: A good hatchet - 11/02/13

Mike laugh

How about this one: wink

It must have been around 1978. I was hunting to the western foothills of the Cascades in search of a nice blacktail buck and I had a bear tag in my pocket just in case. The trees were still big back in those days and the brush was thick but I kept on walking in the deep forest toward a brighter looking place ahead of me. Suddenly I found myself in a natural meadow where the grass was over knee high and there were ancient apple and pear trees loaded with fall fruit.

Knowing deer and bears both cannot resist a good apple I stood and watched the meadow for wildlife for an hour of more before cautiously working my way into the old orchard.

I marveled at the fortitude of the early western settlers and wondered who had homestead this meadow and planted these trees. I found the fallen remains of an old cabin and barn. Then I saw it, my heart was broken, there laying partially under a huge hand hewn beam from the barn was an old hatchet, it's handle broken and mostly rotted away. An injured hatchet, laying under that huge beam for untold years with no one to help it. I was snapped into action and began digging with my hands to see if I could rescue it and perhaps with modern hatchet medical care it might live once again but when I got it uncovered I saw the eye had been split and there was no life left in the old tool.

It is buried in an unmarked grave there among the apple and pear trees. I hope it finds peace.

That's a cool story Scott. Thanks.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: A good hatchet - 11/02/13
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have two Wetterlings. One a 12 inch handle, the other 19. They are Swedish, hand forged and priced right. For a number of years, they have done anything asked of them.
[Linked Image]

+1

have been carrying these same axes for about 6 years now......damn good steel for the money!
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: A good hatchet - 11/02/13
Originally Posted by SBTCO
American made choices. Nothing wrong with the Gransfors but more coin and a little too hard for my liking in an axe. I have used both the Peavey and Snow and Neally. The Peavey is the best buy and use a Hudson Bay pattern for the last several years splitting fire wood before it comes into the house. The S&N have been inconsistent in quality. I have one that is really good and couple others that weren't worth the money. I have heard good things about Council, but not used one as yet.

http://store.peaveymfg.com/cart/category/2021/Axe_Line/1/

http://www.counciltool.com/product.asp?pg=product&item=17HB18

http://cspoutdoors.com/snowneallyaxes.html

Unfortunatly S&N are no longer US made:( I'd look at Counsel.

+1 on the old Plumb if you can find one.

Another favorite of mine (especially for camping) is the traditional leather handled Estwing.
They're cheap enough, US made, and NEVER wear out.
Heck,,,, if ya look around No NV enough ya might even find one of several I've misplaced over the years.

http://www.amazon.com/Estwing-E24A-Sportsmans-Hatchet-Handle/dp/B0002JT0BO/ref=pd_sim_lg_3
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: A good hatchet - 11/02/13
And they sharpen easily as well. I know they are drop-froged stainless. Maybe Swedish Sandvik steel........

I just use a bastard file for the bad spots and clean it up with a tool stone. And that's not often I do even that...
Posted By: 700LH Re: A good hatchet - 11/02/13
Kept a 18" Estwing in my pickup's about 40 years now. I think the ones sold now are 16"
It'll cut wood or split a elk's brisket, kinda noisy when you drive stakes, but I would buy another in a NY minute.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kenster99 Re: A good hatchet - 11/02/13
Still using my boy scout Plumb hatchet that I have had almost forever! "Be Prepared"!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: KR13 Re: A good hatchet - 11/02/13
I have one of these on order. double-bit-trapper-hatchet

While not a hatchet, I've been happy with the Velvicut Hudson Bay Ax http://www.counciltool.com
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: A good hatchet - 11/02/13
the American-made Marbles are hella good tools.....

[Linked Image]

The G-B's even better...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jds44 Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13
I've been very happy with my Bahco 19'' Rucksack Axe from Ben's Backwoods.

Bahco Rucksack Axe

[Linked Image]
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13
Originally Posted by jds44
I've been very happy with my Bahco 19'' Rucksack Axe from Ben's Backwoods.

Bahco Rucksack Axe

[Linked Image]

The loggers around here speak highly of Bahco's
I'm told they make Husky's stuff.
Posted By: rickmenefee Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13
Gransfors in action
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13
Originally Posted by KR13
I have one of these on order. double-bit-trapper-hatchet

While not a hatchet, I've been happy with the Velvicut Hudson Bay Ax http://www.counciltool.com

If I were buying a new axe or hatchet, I'd buy a Council Tools Velvicut Hudson Bay also. My neighbor and one of my hunting buds have them, use them hard in hunting and fishing camps and they really like them. They're made here in the USA, oddly enough.

I have an old Plumb Victory model axe, a very old Mann Tool Co. axe, an old 26" boy's axe of unknown make, two old Plumb hatchets (newest from 1965), and an Estwing 14" leather handled hatchet I bought new in 1988 at a hardware store in Grangeville, Idaho. All work fine for me.

L.W.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13
so do these...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13
I think you need one more of them Vaughn rigger's hatchets:) Do they take and hold a decent edge?
3 Vaughns and 2 plumbs. The Vaughns trump Plumb for both balance, driving, AND edge holding.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13

This.

I have a Gransfors, have had the opportunity to use custom axes with steel tempered by Bavarian elves and handles cannibalized from clapped out Stradivarius necks--haven't found anything better than Fiskars.

Fiskars mauls work darn good too.......

Casey
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13
For something smaller & more handy for backpacking, this guy hand builds some very nice hatchets. I saw him set up at the big Tulsa Gun Show, last year, & the quality looked really really good!

http://www.2hawks.net/tomahawks/
Posted By: Barkoff Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13
Thanks for this thread. Few years back when my grandfather died and we were going through his things, I saw an old beat up axe in the corner, split handle, head pretty scratched up. Thought about throwing it away a few times but couldn't do it, always thought someday I'll clean it up and put a new handle on it.

This thread peaked my curiosity so I went out to the garage and found it, took a Brillo pad to it, and sure enough there is the crown and GBA logo, made in Sweden.

Looks like the axe head was once painted blue. I guess I found myself a new camp axe as soon as I get her sharpened and a new handle put on it. 3 1/2 head, so I'm thinking maybe a 24" handle would be a good size. Lot of sap on the handle, but it just looks too unsafe at this point.
Posted By: GeoW Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13
I found one of my grandfathers old hatchets and had planned to send it to Scott to have it rehung and refurbished but upon closer examination I noticed a corner of the blade had at one time been chipped. The chip would have taken maybe 3/4" off the blade length.
I hated that..

G
Posted By: Jedi_Swagger Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13
I've had great results with the small hatchet from Bark River. They say it's starts as a Swedish military ax..I'm assuming they mean Granforth... that they modify to their specs.

http://www.dlttrading.com/bark-river-custom-axe.html

Good luck with whichver you chose.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here are two hatchets I worked on myself, the lighter unit (top) is a cut down Norlund and the darker is a cut down Plumb BSA. The handles I made myself, same with the leatherwork.

Interesting enough that the Norlund will chip out if used on hard Gidgee or black box, but is generally fine with red gum...the Plumb handles all with no problems what so ever, and looks like [bleep] because I used it for grubbing out tree roots last week when I laid a storm water pipe through the nature strip.

They are both due for a 24 hour soak in linseed oil, which is not a problem as I picked up 60 litres for $300 from a local fellow...I am pleased with that purchase.

The new Plumb hatchets are softer and are nowhere near as good as this one, Both of these axes pictured are pre 70.

Ebay is your friend (gasp).
Posted By: Cigar Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13
Posted By: Plateau Hunter Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13
Good thread-didn't realize there are so many hatchet/axe aficionados around here. I think the $20-30 Fiskars is the best bang for the buck by a long ways. I have some older Finnish Gerbers that are similar and great too. Have a Wetterlings and a few Gransfors also. A Gransfor mini is an essential part of my hunting kit-the handle grooves are my modification for a more secure grip.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pete E Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13
Originally Posted by Jedi_Swagger
I've had great results with the small hatchet from Bark River. They say it's starts as a Swedish military ax..I'm assuming they mean Granforth... that they modify to their specs.

I'd be very surprised if the Swedish military use Granforth as they hand forged and are essentially hand built. If I had to guess, I'd venture something its something like Husky ie factory head but still very good quality...
Posted By: jpb Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13
Originally Posted by Plateau Hunter
A Gransfor mini is an essential part of my hunting kit-the handle grooves are my modification for a more secure grip.

I visited Granf�rs Bruk, and each smith stamps his initials on each axe head so if one ever cracks and the head comes back, everybody at the plant knows who let a head get out without proper tempering. smile

On the Swedish web page there is a list of all the 'smiths and their corresponding initials but I don't think their English-language page has this info.

Your (now customized) Gransf�rs Bruk Mini was made by Lennert Pettersson. smile

If by chance anybody else wants to know the name of the guy who made their Granf�rs Bruk axe, you can read the list HERE.

Trivial, yeah, I know! But then again, there seems to be some axe fanatics here and one of them might be interested... smile

John
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by Jedi_Swagger

I'd be very surprised if the Swedish military use Granforth as they hand forged and are essentially hand built. If I had to guess, I'd venture something its something like Husky ie factory head but still very good quality...

Jeddi Swagger,

Its seems there is an odd coincidence here..On the strength of this thread I went out into the shed to look at the factory made Swedish hatchet I use for chopping morning sticks..The head is marked "HB" so I googled it and find out it stands for a "Hult Bruk" and they mass produced axes, often for other company's, but also for the Swedish Military.

Mine is a fairly recent axe, and I suspect that older military axes may be better steel / better made..They should be marked with three crowns plus "KB" and two digits which I assume is the year of production..In your case, this stamping may have been lost when then axe head was re ground..

Regards,

Peter
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13
Originally Posted by 700LH
Kept a 18" Estwing in my pickup's about 40 years now. I think the ones sold now are 16"
It'll cut wood or split a elk's brisket, kinda noisy when you drive stakes, but I would buy another in a NY minute.

[Linked Image]
+1
Spend all the money you like on fancy Marbles hatchets and schit, but those Estwings are hard to beat for any amount of money. I have the shorter version of this one with the leather handle - 35 yrs old and still good.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13
Originally Posted by Pugs

Yep - what I bought - Hatchet

A couple Buds use the Gransfors Bruks neck knives too, very cool little stickers. grin

Gunner
Posted By: 444Matt Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13
I spent a few hours yesterday splitting a load of Pecan wood to take to my dad, and the smaller stuff to keep for my smoker.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I need a good hatchet for general camping and hunting use, but also for when I split wood. Scott F is going to set me straight on that. I go through a bunch of wood year round using my large offset smoker. I have a good maul and a good ax. Sometimes when you bust a piece, the two split pieces will be stuck together by one smaller strand like a set of nun-chucks. A smaller hatchet would be very handy to break them apart rather than using the longer handled maul or ax.

Anyone use the Husky stuff? I have a hankering now to try out their maul.
Several years ago I bought a cheap no name Maul with a Fibreglass handle, and it worked fine for a while, in fact until the cold weather set in..then one frosty morning the handle shattered near the head..obviously it had gone brittle with the cold..

After that, I bought a fibreglass handled Bancho maul..It was about three times the price, but its worked great regardless of the temperature and I have since split a lot of wood with it...
Posted By: 444Matt Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13
I have a fiberglass handled maul that works well, its a generic one I got from Lowes. However I am moving more traditional in my hand tools.

Scott is going to set me up good for a small hatchet. Figure I'll end up with either a Gransfors or Wetterlings 20" model and then a longer maul, 30-32".

This has been an awesome thread, learned some stuff and got to see a bunch of very cool tools.
Those Estwings are pretty soft steel, and that shaft can and will bend. I ain't never seen a piece of hickory bend and deform. Estwing hammers suck and blow.
spoken like a man who has actually used them.....
Several years ago I bought a cheap no name Maul with a Fibreglass handle, and it worked fine for a while, in fact until the cold weather set in..then one frosty morning the handle shattered near the head..obviously it had gone brittle with the cold..

After that, I bought a fibreglass handled Bancho maul..It was about three times the price, but its worked great regardless of the temperature and I have since split a lot of wood with it...

If by Maul you mean sledge on one side taper to sharp-ish on other then we call them a Canadian splitter, and they are useless for our hard woods but absolutely marvellous when taking a piece out of the cement guttering to lay stormwater pipe to the road, they cut through the cement just like a axe going through hardwood.
split stone purty fair, too....
Posted By: rickmenefee Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13
Already had a picture so I thought I'd post
Keen Kutter trap tool I have used 30 years
Gransfors small axe
Jigged the handles
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BC30cal Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13
JSTUART;
Top of the morning to you sir - er or whatever time of day this finds you in - I trust this finds you and yours acceptably well.

Your leather work looks "skookum" as we'd say up here - I like it and the hatchets you've chosen.

When we were kids my elder brother had a Norlund Hudson Bay hatchet that in my memory looked sort of like the top one you've got - but my memory could be wrong on that detail I can't say for sure.

Some day I plan to drag all the axes, mauls and hatchets together for a photo like Don - huntsman22 - did.

We've got an eclectic mix that I've mostly picked up at flea markets really - a late '70's Granfors Bruks which is before they went into boutique axes, a couple Hultafors Bruks, a Frost of Sweden and then a mix of old/very old US made axes too. Oh, my main wood splitters, "Canadian splitters" I believe you'd call them are Chinese, an 8lb and a 6lb.

Some years back I decided to make up a lightweight hunting hatchet of tomahawk weight and began to buy up all the old sheet rock and roofing hammers I could.

The bottom four in the photo are ones that I've reshaped by cold grinding.
[Linked Image]

The next one up is an old US made light ax head that I reshaped and then the blue one is the Frost of Sweden.

The top construction hatchet is a bit of a mystery to me, but I've been told it was a grain elevator construction hammer. Grain elevators here in Canada contained a pile of lumber, so perhaps that's true but I can't say for sure.

Anyway sir, thanks for twigging the memory from my youth and for sharing your handiwork with us, it looks very serviceable indeed.

All the best to you and yours in the upcoming week JSTUART.

Regards,
Dwayne

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Estwing hammers suck and blow.

BS,,,,, they're great for pulling nails out of concrete forms and digging trenches with the claws.

Can't imagine actually driving nails with one though.

Rick, any chance you could post some more pictures of the trap tool...I have not seen one before as we don't use the heavy traps.

Thank you.

James.
Hello Dwayne, we have a few of those around this locale but I believe they were used as a boxing hatchet for repair when everything came in wooden boxes...I see you (like myself) are a sucker for old tools as well.
Posted By: vairboy Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13
This is one of my favorite threads in quite some time. I've been looking for a nice axe head on ebay off and on, but they get expensive there. Maybe sometime I'll get lucky at a flea market or garage sale.

Thanks to everyone who's posted pictures and reviews. More, please!
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

BS,,,,, they're great for pulling nails out of concrete forms and digging trenches with the claws.

That is how I bent the shaft on an Estwing hammer. I finally learned to just go to the truck for a cats' paw and a crowbar to pull nails. Far fewer ortho visits required with that approach.
Originally Posted by JSTUART

[Linked Image]

Nice job on those covers JS!

I like my little leather handled Estwing for camping and lite duty stuff but my fav is this old Plumb Cruiser I found in an old shed on a piece of property I bought.
She was pretty beat up but with a little TLC and a new handle it now cuts better than any axe I've laid hands on.
[Linked Image]

Not a purdy as yours but I even made a horse-hide cover for it so's I could take it camping with out chopping up the rest of my gear on the way there.
[Linked Image]

nice work, Cholly
Posted By: MojoHand Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13
LOVE my GB small forest axe. Buy once...

[Linked Image]
smile Old tools are habit forming, aren't they.
Originally Posted by huntsman22
nice work, Cholly

Thanks

I'd like to get one of those little branding irons for my leather and wood stuff though.
Did you make yours or buy them?
Posted By: Scott F Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13

Here are two hatchets I worked on myself, the lighter unit (top) is a cut down Norlund and the darker is a cut down Plumb BSA. The handles I made myself, same with the leatherwork.

Nice work and two great looking tools.
Has anyone here ever considered carrying a cruiser double bit axe. Bigger and harder to carry a lot better axe when you have to use it for cutting.
[
I like my little leather handled Estwing for camping and lite duty stuff but my fav is this old Plumb Cruiser I found in an old shed on a piece of property I bought.
She was pretty beat up but with a little TLC and a new handle it now cuts better than any axe I've laid hands on.
[Linked Image]

OOPS! blush i should have read a little further down. grin

I like you little cruiser. They are hard to find but worth the effort.

That is how I bent the shaft on an Estwing hammer. I finally learned to just go to the truck for a cats' paw and a crowbar to pull nails. Far fewer ortho visits required with that approach.

No doubt they suck for driving nails but I kept one around for form work for years. Worked fine for duplex nails and digging. Still have it as a matter of fact but the claws are about gone from the digging part.
Made the little irons outta stiff wire and 1/16 inch stainless welding rod....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

OOPS! blush i should have read a little further down. grin

I like you little cruiser. They are hard to find but worth the effort.

Agreed,,,,, at 5'7" they're the perfect length and weight for me.

Anything the cruiser won't handle,,, I get out the maul and/or wedges.
Has anyone here ever considered carrying a cruiser double bit axe. Bigger and harder to carry a lot better axe when you have to use it for cutting.

If I lived in the States or Canada I would carry a 3/4 axe for splitting carcases and general work...something with a 2 1/2-3 lb head, but only because a chainsaw gets too heavy when idling about on two legs.
Thanks,,,, I'll definitely try my hand at that this winter.

Probably take about 100#'s of rod before I get one right though:(
[Linked Image]

Wife wanted the cruiser for splitting up cook stove size wood but switched to my axe. She can make the wood fly. grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13
Those Estwings are pretty soft steel, and that shaft can and will bend. I ain't never seen a piece of hickory bend and deform. Estwing hammers suck and blow.

Nothing straps flat to the side of a snowmachine quite like an Estwing however. And I can't say I wasn't impressed with the one that split and flaked the boulder we had bent so many skis and trailing arms on over the years in one crooked creek crossing. That "boulder" turned out to be a big lump of tundra muck which, when frozen, seemed nothing less than a big rock capped with a bit of soil and grass. Pretty hard to fault those Estwings based on the use I've seen them put to in Alaska. Show me an ax that cracks frozen beaver better (or salmon, mutton, etc.)
Scott, I have had a couple of 6 lb axes come back from gidgee and give me a whack on the forehead, not really sure I would like that to happen with one of your double bits.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13
JSTUART;
Wood is such a regional thing I've found and I can't even imagine what you folks' requirements for cutting equipment would look like.

Back in Saskatchewan we cut white poplar, scrub oak, box elder and the very odd white birch for firewood.

The scrub oak and some of the birch was best split at -35� if possible as it really didn't want to part company with itself otherwise.

Here in BC even our western larch or Douglas Fir is soft compared to that and akin to butter compared to what you'd be handling.

Anyway it is discussions such as these that make our cyber 'Fire fun for me as I get a small glimpse into life in places I can't otherwise imagine.

Thanks for sharing your life with us here JSTUART, it's been interesting for me and I do appreciate it.

All the best to you and yours in the upcoming week.

Regards,
Dwayne
It is always a pleasure dealing with you Dwayne.

All the best.
Originally Posted by BC30cal
JSTUART;
Wood is such a regional thing I've found and I can't even imagine what you folks' requirements for cutting equipment would look like.

Back in Saskatchewan we cut white poplar, scrub oak, box elder and the very odd white birch for firewood.

The scrub oak and some of the birch was best split at -35� if possible as it really didn't want to part company with itself otherwise.

Here in BC even our western larch or Douglas Fir is soft compared to that and akin to butter compared to what you'd be handling.

Anyway it is discussions such as these that make our cyber 'Fire fun for me as I get a small glimpse into life in places I can't otherwise imagine.

Thanks for sharing your life with us here JSTUART, it's been interesting for me and I do appreciate it.

All the best to you and yours in the upcoming week.

Regards,
Dwayne

Dwayne, James

Some very nice work there from both of you..

With regards your comments, I was thinking the same thing after James said a maul would not touch their local hard woods.

By choice, for firework we tend to use hedgerow hard woods such as birch, ash, beech ect and a maul will split those fine. However I can only imagine how hard some of those tropical hard woods must be..

About the hardest woods I have come across over here are the old "bog hardwoods" but that stuff is worth too much to split for fire wood..

Before I used a maul, I had a fancy splitting wedge called a "grenade" which worked, but I find maul just easier to use..

Regards,

Peter
Posted By: 700LH Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13

Guy can bend crow bar too, it really ain't all that hard to do. Any hand tool can be damaged if it's not used correctly or abused.
Posted By: Pugs Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13

With regards your comments, I was thinking the same thing after James said a maul would not touch their local hard woods.

Once I picked up one of these Torpedo wedge my pile of "un-splitables" went away with ease.
Posted By: rattler Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13

Once I picked up one of these Torpedo wedge my pile of "un-splitables" went away with ease.

dont think we have much in the states that compares to some of the tropical hardwoods though, they literally are hard wood....some of them are more like a type of stone than most woods here in the states are familiar with.....hell they are tougher than a fair number of types of stone....
Posted By: Pugs Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13
Originally Posted by rattler

dont think we have much in the states that compares to some of the tropical hardwoods though, they literally are hard wood....some of them are more like a type of stone than most woods here in the states are familiar with.....hell they are tougher than a fair number of types of stone....

True enough - I tried using one of the exotics to make some inlay once and the smell and small bb like chunks flying off the table saw blade told me "never again".

Consider that wedge simply good advice for anyone who splits by hand.

That torpedo wedge is basically the same as the "grenade" I mentioned..it works well, but I don't have much cause to use it any more..
BTW who needs a stinking hatchet.....if it works for splitting skulls, must work fine for splitting wood whistle

[Linked Image]
I have a Kukuri that I had sent over from Nepal a couple of years ago, it sitting on the desk in front of me and is used for reaching over and turning the external sound button on and off...one of these days I shall give it to one of the local young fellows for pigs or for doing other boy things.

It is an interesting thing but not much use to me.
it showed up Friday, actually its a Christmas present for my younger brother who is fascinated with the Gurkhas....its the real deal from one of the supliers they currently use, #2 pattern, the Training/Jungle pattern with a bit thicker blade....can be used for clearing brush and such but as you say not overly practical for much....

when i saw this thread i knew i had to get a pic posted though grin
Posted By: Boise Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13
I agree with your decision to wait for an old one but thought I would share the axes I use the most. Just about every thing around the house is ponderosa pine so it's easy going.

[Linked Image]

A little Soligen ax I rehandled with the handle I broke off the hammer my father gave me.

Gransfors Bruks small forest ax I recently purchased for splitting kindling.

Snow and Nealley #4
Originally Posted by 700LH

Guy can bend crow bar too, it really ain't all that hard to do. Any hand tool can be damaged if it's not used correctly or abused.

True

40+ yrs of Carpentering and my Estwing ain't bent.
Can't say the same for my crow bar.
[Linked Image]

The jungle Panawal...
[Linked Image]

I get most use from my 1967 issue golok manufactured at Lithgow Small Arms Factory, it is what I use to split the spine of any sheep or goats that I hang, push a length of high tensile fencing wire down the spinal cord and chop the golok down it's length.
But I generally do not bother with the wire.

Good luck locating a golok, they are another item that must be liberated from the Australian Army, although they do turn up on ebay now and then.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13
Originally Posted by MojoHand
LOVE my GB small forest axe. Buy once...

[Linked Image]

Can you tell me on that top axe, is that a 24" or 18" handle?

Took the old handle off the axe, I'll take it to work and buff on it a little bit then take the file to it. Now to find a handle, I think I'll write Gransfors and see if I can buy one with their logo on it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: norm99 Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13
Hi Scott when you guys are talking cruiser it looks like the same thing we called a grubbing axe that was largely used for prepping tailhold stumps for highlead or wooden tower operations,
what you are calling your axe is closer to what we called a falling axe with that size head or a little narrower but longer blade.
Are there any other double bitted axes out there with different names uses?

norm

True

[Linked Image]

DUDE! That Estwing IS bent, I can see it in the picture! Not quite as bad as that crowbar though. Care to say how you did that one?
Posted By: norm99 Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13
Originally Posted by BC30cal
JSTUART;
Top of the morning to you sir - er or whatever time of day this finds you in - I trust this finds you and yours acceptably well.

Your leather work looks "skookum" as we'd say up here - I like it and the hatchets you've chosen.

When we were kids my elder brother had a Norlund Hudson Bay hatchet that in my memory looked sort of like the top one you've got - but my memory could be wrong on that detail I can't say for sure.

Some day I plan to drag all the axes, mauls and hatchets together for a photo like Don - huntsman22 - did.

We've got an eclectic mix that I've mostly picked up at flea markets really - a late '70's Granfors Bruks which is before they went into boutique axes, a couple Hultafors Bruks, a Frost of Sweden and then a mix of old/very old US made axes too. Oh, my main wood splitters, "Canadian splitters" I believe you'd call them are Chinese, an 8lb and a 6lb.

Some years back I decided to make up a lightweight hunting hatchet of tomahawk weight and began to buy up all the old sheet rock and roofing hammers I could.

The bottom four in the photo are ones that I've reshaped by cold grinding.
[Linked Image]

The next one up is an old US made light ax head that I reshaped and then the blue one is the Frost of Sweden.

The top construction hatchet is a bit of a mystery to me, but I've been told it was a grain elevator construction hammer. Grain elevators here in Canada contained a pile of lumber, so perhaps that's true but I can't say for sure.

Anyway sir, thanks for twigging the memory from my youth and for sharing your handiwork with us, it looks very serviceable indeed.

All the best to you and yours in the upcoming week JSTUART.

Regards,
Dwayne

Dwayne some nice work you have done there I never thought of reshaping like that ,but I may give it a try.
I should be able to fine a few more old ones to play with .I'll also have to dig out all the ones I have see whats left as some have gone to my sons.

norm
The jungle Panawal...
[Linked Image]

Good luck locating a golok, they are another item that must be liberated from the Australian Army, although they do turn up on ebay now and then.

Funnily enough I have a British made Martindale No2 identical to that one which I still use now and again..

On some of the British blade/bushcraft forums those goloks seem to be taking on almost a cult status, where as we used to refer to them as "tree beaters" grin

While I have a tremendous amount of respect and admiration for the Gurkha's, I could never warm to the Kukri as a practical all round large knife. I have seen a Gurkha slaughter a goat with one and there is no doubt they use it with tremendous skill, but I would much prefer a short parang with say a 10" to 12" blade if I could lay my hands on one at a reasonable price..

Regards

Peter

Posted By: Triggernosis Re: A good hatchet - 11/03/13
Just who da fawk buys a hatchet to pull nails with anyway. I thought they were for cutting wood.
Next thing you'll tell us is that one should use a 28 gauge Citori barrel for a double leather punch....
The Martindale has a 3/4 tang from memory, the Australian issue has a full tang, and thumping great big alloy rivets holding it together.

And I am not sure why the things have been canonised either, they are useful but they are not the do-all or end-all.

Regards.
handling this one for my brother, its a hell of a chopping tool but not going to be a very versatile tool....guessing most of its mystique is going to be because of the Gurkhas themselves, but you could arm them with a butter knife and they would be killing machines crazy grin ild much rather have one of sharpsguy's bowie knives if i was going to be carrying a knife of this size thats gonna work well for alot of things....
The Martindale has a 3/4 tang from memory, the Australian issue has a full tang, and thumping great big alloy rivets holding it together.

And I am not sure why the things have been canonised either, they are useful but they are not the do-all or end-all.

Regards.

Just checked mine, and your are correct: the tang stops just at the "beak" of the handle and it has two rivets holding it on..

And talking of items being "canonised" I also had the older version of the MOD survival knife, similar to the one below:

[Linked Image]

Again it worked, but without re shaping, the handle was damned uncomfortable for prolonged use..

I eventually bought a USA made Coldsteel SRK and found it did 90% of the field chores I needed but at a fraction of the weight..

handling this one for my brother, its a hell of a chopping tool but not going to be a very versatile tool....guessing most of its mystique is going to be because of the Gurkhas themselves, but you could arm them with a butter knife and they would be killing machines crazy grin ild much rather have one of sharpsguy's bowie knives if i was going to be carrying a knife of this size thats gonna work well for alot of things....

As I keep telling Sam, you need a parang for your chopping tasks!

I prefer a "westernised" version like the one below, but there are a lot of variations on the theme

[Linked Image]
maybe.....but after handling Bill's bowies at the hog hunt this spring, im fascinated with them laugh
maybe.....but after handling Bill's bowies at the hog hunt this spring, im fascinated with them laugh

But look at the curves on that parang and the obvious fine, old fashioned craftsmanship: You know you want one! grin grin
Posted By: JSTUART Re: A good hatchet - 11/04/13

Just checked mine, and the tang stops just at the "beak" of the handle two rivets holding it on..

I also had the older version of the MOD survival knife, similar to the one below:

[Linked Image]

Again it worked, but without re shaping, the handle was damned uncomfortable for prolonged use..

I eventually bought a USA made Coldsteel SRK and found it did 90% of the field chores I needed but at a fraction of the weight..

I have one of the Wilkinson Sword knives that was issued prior to the one you have pictured, I use it for gardening, specifically for getting out khaki burr...I shove it into the ground next to the main root then push the knife sideways with my boot, there is no hope in hell of damaging the knife as it is obscenely thick and heavy.
[Linked Image]

The axe may interest you as it is a 6 lbs Wilkinson Sword that my wife purchased for me when we first met.
Posted By: Pete E Re: A good hatchet - 11/04/13
I bet that axe could tell a story or two!

In the summer there is a car boot sale up the road from me every weekend and there are usually dozens of old axes in various states of repair for sale..I really should try to pick up an older British made axe, plus a decent bill hook..
You are fortunate, there is rarely anything worth grabbing around here as tools are either used to destruction or destroyed through sheer negligence.
I am currently keeping my eye out for an old post holing shovel as the old English and Australian models were lighter and of very good steel, unlike the thick, clumsy, clubs they pass off as post holing shovels now.

Chinese junk.
Posted By: Pete E Re: A good hatchet - 11/04/13
Are you talking about the sort with the long narrow blade?
Narrow, curved at sides, straight edge, and not very long, just right for digging post holes. Old trenching shovels are like hens teeth as well.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: A good hatchet - 11/04/13

True

[Linked Image]

DUDE! That Estwing IS bent, I can see it in the picture! Not quite as bad as that crowbar though. Care to say how you did that one?

Now that you mention it,,,, it does appear to be bent.
Like I said, I seldom used it for driving nails. Just digging, pulling nails, pounding stakes, and general mayhem.
Might just be an optical, but if not,,,, no telling?????

Edit;,,, The corrigation's beat smooth, claws are at least 1/2" shorter than when new, and now it appears to be bent. If I didn't own it for so long it would be fun to send it back to Estwing and see just how good their warranty is. LOL
Posted By: Mathsr Re: A good hatchet - 11/04/13
I have had a 12 inch Estwing hatchet since 1960 and used it hard. It has taken a lot of abuse over the years and is on its second handle. The 20 inch Gransfors Bruk (GB) is only about 10 years old. To me Estwing is more handy for a hatchet than the GB and it is the one I will most likely have when I need a hatchet.

Some comments were made about the Estwing hatchets being soft. I decided to check the Rockwell hardness of the 1960 Estwing and the GB. The Estwing measures 53 RC and the GB measures 60 RC. These measurements would pretty much back up my guesses about the two hatchets. The Estwing has held a good edge and never chipped in more than 50 years of use. The GB, on the other hand, holds a great edge, but I knocked a big chip out of the edge several years after I got it splitting some fat lighter wood. That chip represented a failure to me as far as a hatchet goes. I would rather have to touch up an edge than regrind one to get a notch out and make the edge usable again. I might be in a location that regrinding an edge isn't possible and a big notch would take the hatchet out of commission.

I can't say what newer Estwings would test or what someone else might find on their GB hatchet. I can only say what mine measured and my experience with the two hatchets backs it up. The Estwing has about the right heat treat for me and the GB is just too hard.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Czech_Made Re: A good hatchet - 11/04/13
Cheaper than dirt had these while ago:

http://www.army-surplus.cz/detail/2275950-Sekera-zenijni-AcR-zanovni

it was made for the Czechoslovakia army pioneers. Much better than anything you can find in a store in USA.
© 24hourcampfire