Home
Posted By: Plinker Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
The wife and I took one of our grand daughters to see dogs at the county shelter today. I found one boy that struck me as special. He is an eight month old Sheprador. Before I could tell the wife I liked him, she told me what a great dog he was. That pretty much sealed it.

We got him to a 'meet & greet pen' and were supplied with pieces of hot dogs. He was gentle mouthed, even with our grand daughter.

Here he is. First is his mug shot from the county web page. (I think the same photographer takes pictures for drivers licenses.) Below that, pictures we took. Now he needs a name.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
Got one in my class that is the spitting image of him-also a rescue dog- and he is phenomenal�.
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
Congrats on the new friend!
Very good!

He looks like a great dog.

Mike
Posted By: TLB2 Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
Great looking pup!
Posted By: Scott F Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
I think that dog just got lucky.
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
Beautiful looking dog smile He looks like a Si, like in Sirus.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
Ran this by the local Boss Dog,....

She approves.

[Linked Image]

CONGRATS !

Long may you all run, and thanks for the great pics !

GTC

Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
Nice going, Plinker.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
Congratulations on your new family member, Shep! grin

Ed
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
Good on you, congrats
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
What a great looking pup!!! Good for you!!!!
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
Looks like ol' Shep done found a good home.
Posted By: WhiteTail48 Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
Heartwarming pictures. He looks happy and relieved. Good for you and him.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
Good for you Plinker! Looks like he's a happy boy.

Whatever you name him I'm sure he'll be ok with it.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
Plinker,

Nice job buddy! Really like the last picture! Compared to the pound picture, you can see he's happy he found some good humans to adopt.

Good luck to all!

Bob
Posted By: cw84 Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
Congrats on your new best friend!
Posted By: orion03 Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
Good on you, looks like a great dog! In the last few months I've picked up a German Shorthair Pointer and an English Pointer from rescue shelters. Both great dogs. Previous owners just didn't know how to handle them.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
Congrats to you and the dog!
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

She approves.

[Linked Image]

GRACIE ! You gotta love her ! She has that certain something smile
Posted By: RoadRunner65 Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
[Linked Image]
What a beautiful pup. Thanks for giving him a nice home.
Posted By: EdM Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
Great looking dog. Nothing like the critters in my mind. grin Dear wife in Africa.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MColeman Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
In the third picture he's already looking at you with adoration in his eyes. I think both of you got lucky. Good on you. smile
Posted By: Cigar Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
That dog just hit the lotto... Good for the both of you.. My neighbor fosters dogs and posts the pics on Facebook.. THEN she will post R.I.P. when the dog is not adopted and killed.. That rips my hart out.. The people that work the Shelters MUST be hard harted because they kill dogs and cats all the time.. I could never do it!!
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
Originally Posted by Cigar
The people that work the Shelters MUST be hard harted because they kill dogs and cats all the time.. I could never do it!!

Same here, I'm too soft
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
What a great looking dog!

Mrs. Tide's dog passed a couple of months ago, and when she was ready to look for another one, we went to the pound.

It is amazing the way people and dogs "pick" each other.

I don't think I'll ever buy a dog from a breeder again.
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

I don't think I'll ever buy a dog from a breeder again.
More and more I think of that as a selfish and heartless practice when there are so many dogs that need a home.

The only exception would be if one needs a dog of a particular breed, and needs the best bred of that breed for a particular characteristic. For a pet, though, it's just heartless to seek out a breeder when there are so many dogs desperate for a home.

Cats, too. I just don't think in those terms because I'm allergic to their dander. Great pets, though, if you're not allergic. They have their own unique appeal distinct from dogs.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
How about Lucky?
Posted By: Mink Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
Good on you Plinker for doing this. Beautiful pup.
Posted By: Mink Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn

She approves.

[Linked Image]

Yeah, something about dogs looking or being like their owners. Think she has Cross' attitude down pat. LOL
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
Originally Posted by Cigar
The people that work the Shelters MUST be hard harted because they kill dogs and cats all the time.. I could never do it.

Irresponsible pet owners are the ones that are "hard hearted".
The folks at the shelter are just doing a job few have the courage to do.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
Must be some thing of the season. We too adopted a dog this week from the Rocky Mountain Lab Rescue. None of their dogs are pure bred, but in need of a good home. Since our Blue Heeler past away last spring, we have been looking for a good heeler pup to replace her, but that has been a hard task. There just are not that many around. So we decided to get a more mature dog so that when we did find a pup, it would have a mate and possibly help in training.

So this is Baylee, she is 2-3 years old, and probably a lab/pointer mix, or maybe just a lab and All American Fence Jumper mix.

Whatever, she is as sweet as can be, house broken, and has all the basic commands down. She readily adopted my wife, but at times she shows a little distrust of me. She was probably slapped around some and definitely had a lack of food. Baylee came out of MO. and had foster mom take care of her for about three weeks, so has had few owners until we got her. She now has a permanent home with us and might even make good bird dog.
She has taken to the couch and our bed quite well.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: RufusG Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
Originally Posted by Plinker
Now he needs a name.

Looks like a Roscoe to me. Nice pup and nicer story.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
Looks like you have a loyal friend for life.
Posted By: Steve Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
Great dog. Has a splendid grin. No losers in this deal.

Congrats!
Posted By: norm99 Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
Hey Plinker how bout.

Lucky
Newby
Bandit-- He did steel your hearts. grin

norm
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
Love me some shelter dogs. Very nice going!

Our last shelter mutt, he's a great dog.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
Lucky dog! Looks like a cool mix too, hopefully it got the best from both breeds.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
Oh, my vote for a name is Boomer. (Since you are plinker)
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
Looks like a keeper!
Posted By: Scott F Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
Originally Posted by Mink
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn

She approves.

[Linked Image]

Yeah, something about dogs looking or being like their owners. Think she has Cross' attitude down pat. LOL

I agree. I have had that lovely lady sit on my lap and grin into my ear. She is a true keeper and so is the man she owns.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
looks like he got the brains of the shepherd and the heart of the labrador! he will be a faithful dog, no doubt! congratulations to your family and your dog, I think you both lucked out!

Sycamore
Posted By: RipSnort Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
Plinker,

One look at that pooch and the name "Shep" came to mind instantly. Seems others thought the same.

RS
Posted By: WillARights Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
If it was a female id call her "Mixie". For the Shep/Lab mix. Like Trixie.

But its a he, so I vote "Mix" for his name. Or Mixer. "Mojave Mix"

Handsome, loveable pup. God Bless em.

Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/24/13
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Must be some thing of the season. We too adopted a dog this week from the Rocky Mountain Lab Rescue. None of their dogs are pure bred, but in need of a good home. Since our Blue Heeler past away last spring, we have been looking for a good heeler pup to replace her, but that has been a hard task. There just are not that many around. So we decided to get a more mature dog so that when we did find a pup, it would have a mate and possibly help in training.

So this is Baylee, she is 2-3 years old, and probably a lab/pointer mix, or maybe just a lab and All American Fence Jumper mix.

Whatever, she is as sweet as can be, house broken, and has all the basic commands down. She readily adopted my wife, but at times she shows a little distrust of me. She was probably slapped around some and definitely had a lack of food. Baylee came out of MO. and had foster mom take care of her for about three weeks, so has had few owners until we got her. She now has a permanent home with us and might even make good bird dog.
She has taken to the couch and our bed quite well.

[Linked Image]

Good for you, too, SS. Looks great.
Posted By: Plinker Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/26/13
UPDATE

Well the new dog is settling right in. We spent $140 at the vet yesterday because he had the squirts. Vet says this is common for pound dogs. After a doggie bath he no longer smells like the dog pound. Vet says he's only 6 months old. All in all, he is doing very good. He knows how to SIT on command and go outside to do his business.

Looking down on him, he looks solid black. But his whole underside is a silver, brown and white cacophony.

[Linked Image]

Loves to fetch the ball. We're working on the "release" aspect.

[Linked Image]

Then he will rapidly crash after playing.

[Linked Image]

We named him Lenny and he responds to that. It's short for Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci. smile
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/26/13
Beautiful Sonora Chiuahua Desert morning here,......28* at sunup,good high dew point saw frost on everything.Clear skies, No wind, and a powerful Sun now sees water dripping everywhere.

It don't get much better than this, nonetheless, reading your latest post made it so.

You and Lenny,......

Long may you both run!

GTC
Posted By: temmi Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/26/13
Good looken dog

Snake
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/26/13
Good lookin pup.
Posted By: Hotload Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/26/13
You got a great looking dog, Good for both of you. smile
Posted By: RWE Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/26/13

She approves.

[Linked Image]

I'd hate to see the "disapprove" look.
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/26/13
Woohoo! Congrats and good on you. Here is to many years of happiness!
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/26/13
Originally Posted by Plinker
The wife and I took one of our grand daughters to see dogs at the county shelter today. I found one boy that struck me as special. He is an eight month old Sheprador. Before I could tell the wife I liked him, she told me what a great dog he was. That pretty much sealed it.

We got him to a 'meet & greet pen' and were supplied with pieces of hot dogs. He was gentle mouthed, even with our grand daughter.

Here he is. First is his mug shot from the county web page. (I think the same photographer takes pictures for drivers licenses.) Below that, pictures we took. Now he needs a name.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That second picture says it all! Congrats on your new buddy Plinker!! Gotta love a happy ending!!
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Adopted a dog today - 11/26/13
That a HAPPY dog,....or what ?

GTC
© 24hourcampfire