Home
How do you keep your glasses from fogging up when hunting with face mask? - i.e., glasses fog up with every breath.

On a different note, there's a "donate" button on my blog now because I need financial help to see a pulmonologist so I can be cleared back to work. If anybody's interested, complete story is in sidebar at http://mytruckalogue.blogspot.com/
Remove the face mask.

Travis
Saliva.

Lasix.
Hold your breath.
I use a good windshield anti fog on my scopes, bino's and glasses. It really helps when you are looking through scopes or bino's for long periods of time and it's cold, your breath will make them temporarily fog. The one I like the best is Rain X Interior Glass Anti-Fog
Clarity de fog it. KEeps fog out of my SCBA mask in a fire... never found anything else that would do that.
Do a google search and type in (glasses anti fog spray) and it will give you all kinds of spray and creams that SUPPOSEDLY STOPS GLASSES FROM FOGGING.
Before you put anything on your expensive glasses, check with the optician who made them. Some lens coatings and some off the shelf stuff aren't compatible. You might ruin your glasses.

I used to use spray lens cleaner that I got from Walmart's optical shop. It totally trashed my lenses by making the coatings crack and peel.
supposedly went out the door for me with defog it.
Spit and wipe it off or any source of starch. We used to wipe our diving masks on the inside with a freshly sliced potato then a light quick rinse with water
cat crap, ski stores will sell it wink
Toss out most all of the commercial junk & grab a bottle of Dawn dish soap.

Clean & dry your glasses first.

Touch your finger tip to the top of the bottle then rub that finger & your thumb together. Now rub this on your DRY lense. It should be a thick haze if applied correctly. Take a soft clean cloth & wipe the soap residue completely WITHOUT water.

I've wore glasses since I was a young kid & this worked the best for me.

Good luck.
I forgot that you have to start by getting some frozen OJ & shaving your junk for this to work properly.
I've used a lot of divers stuff, and tricks, including soap and such, defog it still rules for me.

All that diving stuff goes out the window with an SCBA mask in a fire type situation, and the only thing I've seen. Hell I sound like a salesman which I"ll never be, but I'm so glad to have found it. Wished it was cheaper, but other than that its super.
Cat crap.
Originally Posted by White_Bear

Touch your finger tip to the top of the bottle then rub that finger & your thumb together. Now rub this on your DRY lense. It should be a thick haze if applied correctly. Take a soft clean cloth & wipe the soap residue completely WITHOUT water.

Good luck.

Or Ajax dish soap which is half the price of Dawn, easier to get off dishes, and doesn't smell like crap.
I think most soaps will work the same.
Originally Posted by White_Bear

Good luck.

This ^
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
cat crap, ski stores will sell it wink

Cat Crap, an oldie but a goodie. Worked very well on goggles back when I was near mountains you could slide down. Nah, doesn't smell good but not that bad.
Originally Posted by deflave
Remove the face mask.

It's the warm moist air from your breath trapped in the face mask that's fogging them.
Originally Posted by tpcollins
Remove the face mask.

It's the warm moist air from your breath trapped in the face mask that's fogging them.

Regular ol' Einstein you are.
lasik
Regular hand soap

Bar soap works best
Just plain 'ol spit works. No throat cheese.
Go into your bathroom

Clean half of your mirror by rubbing soap all over it and then dry buff it off

Steam up the room and you will see
Short of soap and spit, I use Sea Gold anti-fog gel.
Jeff here do you find that brand of anti fog?

am thinking I'd like to treat some snowmachine visors with it.

Laser surgery was my solution.
Originally Posted by mirage243
I use a good windshield anti fog on my scopes, bino's and glasses. It really helps when you are looking through scopes or bino's for long periods of time and it's cold, your breath will make them temporarily fog. The one I like the best is Rain X Interior Glass Anti-Fog

Then why even put it on?
Remove the face mask.

Travis

Pretty much.
A screen mask works too.
Originally Posted by mirage243
Originally Posted by tpcollins
Remove the face mask.

Regular ol' Einstein you are.

tpcollins is an Einstein. smile

Half the problem and half the solution is keeping moist air away from glasses or goggles.

If I had to wear a face mask (I don't when hunting) I'd look for one that deflects air away from glasses. They make face masks/breath deflectors for snowmachining that do this ... to a degree.

The OP never mentioned what kind of face mask he's using which may or may not be at least part of the problem.
Anything that covers the nose is going to be a problem. Air seeps between the face & the mask.
A bunch of goofy ass ideas, can't ya'll be serious for once?

A couple of 18" pieces of surgical tubing, one shoved in each nostril and routed down and out of the face mask works perfect and the latex won't irritate the nose.

[Linked Image]
I just use a snorkel from W-mart.
Spit on it....as my girlfriend used to say.
Originally Posted by amx1047
How do you keep your glasses from fogging up when hunting with face mask? - i.e., glasses fog up with every breath.

On a different note, there's a "donate" button on my blog now because I need financial help to see a pulmonologist so I can be cleared back to work. If anybody's interested, complete story is in sidebar at http://mytruckalogue.blogspot.com/

I use "Parker's Perfect" anti fog and it works better than anything else out there in my experience

http://www.parkersperfect.com
[quote=2legit2quit]Jeff here do you find that brand of anti fog?

am thinking I'd like to treat some snowmachine visors with it.

Randy

www.defogitworks.com

I won't say there isn't better but this is the best I've found so far.

I googled some for protecting the fire gear, since you sweat, breath the whole dang thing in the mask and you get your azz chewed for bumping air into it to clear it while on standby as RIT team....

It won't last after it has moisture on it though... IE I use it on my glasses a lot, but have to redo it if I get em wet... says that on the packaging too...

YOu might want to give em a call and check out the use for you.

Jeff

Jeff, give Parker's Perfect a try I believe that you will like it ver much.
Originally Posted by rost495

All that diving stuff goes out the window with an SCBA mask in a fire type situation, and the only thing I've seen.

My SCBA lenses have always been treated but even that sometimes fails. Quick burp of the bypass valve clears her up quick
The problem with snowmachine visors is the build up of moisture from sweat. Even the very best helmet with the very best breath deflector will eventually cloud up with sweat from your cheeks and moisture from your eyes.

I had a heated visor that would prevent fogging but eventually you had to wipe the moisture away to see clear again. The wires connecting the visor to the sled proved to be a pain in azz.

I ended up going with a helmet that had a really good breath deflector and tight fitting goggles that wouldn't let air seep past and cause frostbite on my cheeks. I used a Scott goggle anti-fog cloth to wipe the moisture off and treat the goggles. It was THE best set up I found.

FWIW, liquid Rain X will screw up the coatings on plastic ski goggle lenses.
Originally Posted by MallardAddict

All that diving stuff goes out the window with an SCBA mask in a fire type situation, and the only thing I've seen.

My SCBA lenses have always been treated but even that sometimes fails. Quick burp of the bypass valve clears her up quick

Yep, but since I"ve gone to defog it, I don't have to burp the valve... good things.

What do you treat your SCBA with? Or are you saying the come pre-treated? Ours evidently do not.
thanks Jeff and jwp
He didn't ask for my input, but I was asking because a family member was having problems with his glasses fogging when hunting. I'm going to email a link to this thread to him.

Thanks so much y'all and sorry it took so long to get back.
I put Rain-X. It also will be bead up rain while hunting. I have a set of glasses dedicated to hunting. Not sure I would put them on my regular glasses.
Originally Posted by MallardAddict

Yep, but since I"ve gone to defog it, I don't have to burp the valve... good things.

What do you treat your SCBA with? Or are you saying the come pre-treated? Ours evidently do not.

Everyone I know uses the Parkers
thanks for the hints
I have used this solution for many years. I don't wear a mask & my glasses, scope, & binoculars used to fog up. Usually takes several applications & if its a cold day & I'm walking needs to be reapplied. I buy mine at cabala's.
© 24hourcampfire