Home
I am fixing to start building a new reloading/work bench and I wanted to open this up for discussion. For the people who have build their own, is there anything you wish you would have added? Also anyone that is fixing to build one, I would like to hear your ideas if you don't mind sharing your secrets. As of right now the size will be approximately 12'x4'.

Here are some of the things I will for sure have.
1. Overlapping top for ease of using clamps.
2. A build on back with shelves.
3. Lots of storage underneath. I also weld so the underneath storage would work great as a metal rack.

I am not sure what type of lumber I will use but I like the idea of oak. My budget mat not allow for that. I would also like a stain resistant material on top, something like you see on kitchen countertops. I may have to settle for a ply wood top for a while.

If you've got an idea, let's hear it. I want to build it right the first time. Thanks.

I posted up a build for a "farm table" that i did for the wife for our patio that would make a dandy reloading bench, It has the dimensions and cut sheets I used and a feller could modify it to your liking very easy. Should be able to find it searching my user name.
Hardwood flooring over 3/4 advantech works good. Glue and nail. Band edge with strips of wood. Like a drawer or two underneath. Buy your storage bins beforehand. Run power across back and switch/lights under first overhead shelf. Also throw a few outlets on end and under counter.

W
[b][color:#3333FF]2 x 4 Basics Workbench kit... [/color][/b]

[Linked Image]
Coyote,
Try and google National Reloading Manufacturers. they have a downloadable plan. Built mine in 1990, still using it today. Saw one that a guy used discarded bowling lane planks for the top.
Good luck,
Scott
heres the thread I did on the table/bench i built for the boss lady. its sturdy as hell.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...few_pictures_of_the_table_i_#Post8013739
I built this one a little over 35 years ago, and it served me well over the years.

[Linked Image]

Plans...

http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/downloads/bench_plans.pdf

Only thing I added was a strip of 110 volt plugs on the face of the top frame 2 X 4 at the front of the bench to plug in scales, lights, radio, etc...

Sometimes it's a mess !!

[Linked Image]

I also weld so ......

So, build the "sub" out of the HEAVIEST steel you can mobilize, and anchor it solidly, square with the Planet. Have your press and vice mounts intersecting and tying to this sub.

Make the top out of the wood that you LIKE, and lavish all the care and attention you can on it, before you start making messes, and spilling stuff all over it smile .

I was on a LEAN budget (still am whistle) when I made my Bench top out of two laminated sheets of "Good One Side" 3/4" Fir, and skinned it with Masonite soaked in Spar Varnish. Figured it would , "get me going", and that I'd change it out down line. 12 years later I find myself busier with other chores, and liking the thing just the way I built it,.....and it's stood up WELL

When all is said and done, you can NOT beat the warmth of wood, and I've gradually added lots of nicely finished wood cabinets and shelving over the years. That's a personal choice, you may want something different.

One other thing,....get that bench EXACTLY the height at which YOU are going to be comfortable working at, for long and productive hours. Leave room for your knees underneath, when parked on a roll around bar stool

GTC
Route channels so that some of these mount flush. Get T nuts that match and some studs and nuts. clamping will no longer be an issue.

[Linked Image]
Get some of the heavy duty drawer tracks that let you pull you drawers out further than standard. I never realized what a pain drawers that do not pull all the way forward were until I got some that pull way out.
This
Print out the coupon and it's $143

http://www.harborfreight.com/workbench-with-4-drawers-60-hardwood-69054.html
Tag. There is some very good information here.
I probably wouldn't build it 4' deep if its going to be against against a wall..For cupboards/storage look for kitchen units that are on sale or have been removed in a refurb.

That said, If I had the space I'd like to build a reloading bench as an "island" which I could walk around and have presses one side and clear work space the other..
Tag
I built mine over 20years ago and it is still going strong.

I used 2x6 for the framing, 1" AC plywood for the top. My bench is 2' deep and 8foot long, so cutting a sheet of plywood in half gives you the strong top and a means for making a lower deck to put brass and bulk bullets.

top of bench

[Linked Image]

under top [bulk bullets and brass storage

[Linked Image]

Powder and die storage

[Linked Image]
I DON'T have an overhang and bolted the presses directly to the framing and plywood. I anchored the back framing lumber into the wall and the bench is NOT moving unless the house is falling down. LOL.

I didn't put any shelves on the back of the bench because I bought some of those prefabbed library shelves at home depot for my powder, primers, dies, and loading manuals. the only thing on the back of my bench is the open boxes of bullets for the calibers I load for. They run the full 8' and cover .22-.458.

Unless you can walk completely around the bench, four feet wide is too much. I wouldn't go wider than 30". At four feet, you will never reach the back. I would also make it counter top height or a bit higher if you're taller. I found that a bit taller is most comfortable for reloading.

You could make the frame out of superstrut and add "feet" to it and bolt it to the floor. Then, add 2x's the 30" way for added support. On top of that a sheet of 3/4 plywood or a maple butcher block top with several coats of poly. Router a couple grooves for 80/20 extruded channel.

I have shelves behind the bench, but they are hanging from the floor joists. This way if the table moves at all (highly doubt it being bolted to the floor, but you never know) anything on the shelves won't fall over.
Posted By: RDW Re: New reloading/work bench!?!?!? - 01/22/14
Normally I get lost in the "build" that becomes "a project" and takes away from the end result, in this case loading. I needed a new bench when I moved to a new place in '07 and decided to shortcut the process and bought one Craftsman bench similar to these but it has two narrow drawers with the single shallow drawer.

The top is 1" mdf, I rounded the edges with a 3/4" bit, stained it dark and finished with a matte clear polyurethane. I picked up a sheet of 3/4" mdf and built divided shelves above finished to match the top. I mounted the top flush to the back so it fits against the wall and overhangs the front by 6".

The drawers have ball bearing slides and they are loaded with lead and primers and work great. I mounted a powers strip to one side for the dispenser, scale, light and cordless drill charger.

[Linked Image]
About 40 years ago I picked up a steel table top. I built a 2x6 set of legs with 2x6 bottom braces that I screwed a piece of 3/4 inch plywood onto. The table top is 30"x30". I built the legs so the top is 31" off the floor. I bolted 2x6s to three sides of the top so that there's a well inside the top. I duplicated the bottom shelf 8" below the top. I have presses bolted to the three 2x6 cleats on the top. The whole thing is really solid. With a few hundred pounds of shot on the bottom shelf, NOTHING moves.

It's not much of a work bench, but it's an unreal good loading bench. I have a 12" wide by 8" deep by 24" long steel drawer that holds the "every time use" tools for the presses, primers and a couple other things. When the inevitable spills happen cleanup is simple and quick. Sometimes I think about putting heavy casters under it, but then I regain my sanity. BEST LOADING BENCH I'VE EVER USED!

The work bench is a whole other creature. It gets used for much heavier duty stuff and needs a decent vise and other considerations like the ability to handle slop from cleaning, pounding stuff, and like that.
Originally Posted by ikesdad

I went and looked at it. No where near sturdy enough for my tastes. With passable carpentry/cabinet skills it could be beefed up. The drawers are POS particle board. Load em up with bullets and they'll disintegrate poste haste.
Lots of good info here!
The first bench I built used a solid core door with 2" galavnized pipe for legs mounted with threaded flanges. It worked well enough but wasn't as sturdy as I would've liked. I had this idea in my head that an "L" shape bench with presses mounted in the center should be rock solid and a better way to go. Years later and after a couple of moves, I had the opportunity to build a new bench. The top is 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood (laminated for a 1-1/2" solid top). I finished it with a poured epoxy bar top finish. It is set on Oak cabinet bases with drawers at each corner. It's a heavy SOB but easily taken down to move if need be. It is absolutely rock solid no matter how I abuse it. The "wings" on each side allow for a gun vise for scope mounting, cleaning, etc. It doesn't have a lot of storage built in, but I have free standing shelves around the perimeter of the room for components so that isn't an issue.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

...and Grandpa's helper:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Way back in the day, Grainger used to sell Maple butcher block counter tops 6' long 30" wide and 2" think for about 350 dollars. We used them in our shop. We had a huge bench vise attached to one of them and busted it, making it only 24inches wide. I have that 24inch wide piece as the top to my reloading bench. (I assume it's still there, I haven't seen my bench top in way too long smile ) It would be worth the expense, in my opinion to get a top like that for any new reloading bench build.
The beginnings of mine:
[Linked Image]

I found some free drawer units and added them in.

[Linked Image]

My shop space is roughly 12' x 24' Thank God it's not bigger or I just have more mess!
"I am fixing"

Hmmm....you're gonna have to 'splane' that to these DAMN YANKEES cuz they're ignut bout southern language!!
I still need a lot of clean up and organization but my redesign is coming together.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
hollee chit ed is that a tube range? wtf... Im jelous as hell of your whole set up!
No tube. In the "sound" room in front of the benches I have a window that is raised by a linear actuator. The "sound" room just knocks the noise back a little for the sake of the wife.
any picture of that set up, and back stop? am I right in thinking your shooting into another room of your basement into some sort of a backstop like your own indoor range?
No the window lets up and I have a 800 yard range outside. I Shoot inside at targets outside.
Originally Posted by EddyBo
I still need a lot of clean up and organization but my redesign is coming together.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That is bad azz dude
envy!

Wait till spring-I'm think'n!

Thanks for all the ideas and pictures so far. There's lots of great info already.
I did something similar to Jgray, modular units built and bolted together in an ell-shape with the machines mounted in the center 45, just like J. Comparatively lightweight and takes advantage of the extra twist resistance of a corner, easy to move, too.
Eddy, I don't know what to say except I'm afraid to upset you. Wow!
I labored around in the basement for hours on end building myself the perfect reloading bench once upon a time.

It stayed behind after I got divorced because it was too big to get out of the basement.

My current reloading bench is an old, heavy duty dresser that has a 1 1/8" maple top and had an inventory sticker on it which indicated that it was in a University of Miami, Ohio dorm room back in the 50's.

It cost me $30 at a yard sale and has all the storage I'll ever need.

It was a lot easier than building another bench.

[Linked Image]
Here's my simple little setup that has served me well for over 30 years. Piece of moulded countertop and two cabinet bases picked up from the lumberyard at a damaged goods sale, had some scratches on them is all. Reinforced the countertop with a piece of 5/8 plywood glued and screwed, top glued to the bases. This idea could be expanded upon to make it any size you want, the countertop can be had in any reasonable size and is not all that expensive.

[Linked Image]
some real nice set ups i'm about ready to build myself but figuring the top material is part not found yet
My load bench is an 8'x8'x2' pallet rack. The lower shelf is the bench. The two upper shelves have enough bullets & powder stacked on them to anchor the entire frame work. It is backed by an 8' sheet of plywood. It will soon get a laminated top like Snake River Marksman mentioned. It'll be $650 but it will last me my lifetime.
© 24hourcampfire