Home
Just curious if an inheritance is part of your retirement plans, or if you do receive one, would you leave it for your grandchildren, or a mixture of your children and grandchildren? I'm sure my dad did not receive an inheritance from his parents, because they were dirt poor. My dad was pretty successful, and apparently left my step mom in good financial condition, but I have no idea what she has, or if we (seven children) or our children will inherit anything when she passes.

Proverbs 13:22
A good man leaveth an inheritance to his children's children:
Our only child will be well taken care of. At least as of now, she only 3. I don't expect anything from my parents, besides, the wai was when I was a teenager, they will probably leave me the bills.
Nope. Should do ok on what I have built and my children stand to end up with something. Unless of course the government decides someone else deserves it more than we do.
My Sister and I will be set, not looking forward to the day, and hope it's a lonnnnnnng ways away.
The only inheritance coming my way is family immigration papers and such, civil war discharges and great-grampa's sheriff badge and Colt revolver
Suppose that verse was referring to worldly wealth?
Our financial planning was always based on being able to help our parents in their elder years. I worked a couple extra years to do so and did not retire until my father in law (our last remaining parent) passed away. As it turned out my mom left us a small inheritance and my father in law left us a slightly larger one. We are very grateful and would trade it all in for another day with both.
It would be nice but I don't expect anything.....
Mon and dad are both long gone. There was almost nothing left when my sister got done with them. I have been waiting for my stinking rich uncle to pass but since both mom and dad were only children that plan seems to have some big holes.

Nope, I am on my own. The one thing that gives me great comfort is when I go my wife will be well taken care for. Our baby of the six has done well and plans to make sure she has all she needs and more.
I'm leaving everyone I love a box of Winchester Big Bore .375 ammo. That should put the young ones through college and set the old ones up in retirement homes for life.
The only thing i expected to get from my Father when he passed away,was my his Father's 11-48 16ga shotgun.

My DAD told me a long time ago that because he had to wait till his passed away i would have to do the same.

Well he Passed away on DEC.15 2013 and when the time came i let my younger brother have it.

It just seemed like the right thing to do.
I got them both to let my Grandson have the 410 pump,he is only 3 now,he can grow into it.

My middle brother got his 12 gauge 820B savage.

I have his 1100 20 gauge and a 11-48 16ga he bought at a pawn store.

My Mother-in-law does all right for herself as well as my MOM.

As far as anything coming from them,I could care less if they spent every cent they have IT"S THEIR MONEY.

That said like scott i still look at the road leading to the house waiting for the rich Uncle that i didn't know i had.
I have seen more than one family torn apart and ruined from waiting for the big money to rain down on them.
No, if it comes it will be gravy, never relied on one or planned on getting on one.

Gunner
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have seen more than one family torn apart and ruined from waiting for the big money to rain down on them.

Then they weren't that close to begin with.
well, the one in particular I am think of was 'that close' at one time..........
Mine will be the eternal life in heaven with my Lord. Nothing else counts.
I knew since I was about 13 or so, I would have to work for the rest of my life. My mother passed away when I was 11, went to live with the grandparents. was on my own at 18 and it has been that way ever since. When my grandpa passed I saw 600.00 out of my mom's share or what would have been her share. When my grandma passed I saw nothing and didn't expect nothing, I did get a quilt that she made before she passed, that is all I wanted. The 5 Aunts and 1 Uncle claimed it all.

[quote=clos]I knew since I was about 13 or so, I would have to work for the rest of my life. My mother passed away when I was 11, went to live with the grandparents. was on my own at 18 and it has been that way ever since. When my grandpa passed I saw 600.00 out of my mom's share or what would have been her share. When my grandma passed I saw nothing and didn't expect nothing, I did get a quilt that she made before she passed, that is all I wanted. The 5 Aunts and 1 Uncle claimed it all.

Same here Clos, Don't want or need anything, however, any kin start acting like blood sucking buzzards I'll need a good lawyer, 'fraid I'll start slapping greedy dumbasses.

Gunner
My folks are both long gone. I never even considered thinking about the inheritance. Mom and Dad were far from wealthy, but they managed the money they had very well. Their house was paid for, and that was the extent of the estate outside of Dad's guns. My in-laws are still with us, and I refuse to think about any inheritance. I just don't think it's right for me to think that way. If anythings, so be it. If not, so be it too.
Yea I have not seen but 2 of them in like 8 yrs. My favorite two out of the bunch.
Everything I want from my parents I'e already gotten. A solid upbringing, a work ethic, and decent values. I don't expect material things when my folks pass. When My dad passed, he left us his 401K. It's my Childrens college fund. When Mom passes, I'm sure whatever she leaves will go to the kids as well. I've got a pretty solid plan and can take care of myself.
Both my folks are still kicking, when they bring up the will, Trud tells 'em if they blow it, there won't be anything for the kids to fuss over.

Truds' dad passed 2 yrs ago, her mom gave me his Savage 99 250/3000 after the service. Can't put a price tag on that.
I am expecting a small one when we ever get the in laws house sold.. nothing close enough to retire on.
well, the one in particular I am think of was 'that close' at one time..........

It's a real hard time in life Sam.
I'm the leader of the pack, so to speak. Just my wife,kids and gk's.
My brother, sister and myself worked real hard to stay out of a big family fight.
We drew straws. Put 3 good items up from our history out and #1 got that item, then #2 got that item. Through out the house all in one day. Me and my brother split the guns several years before that, sister got the jewelery. Easy, but I'm tired of it.
Not at all in my retirement plans but my wife's father recently passed and left she and her two brother a decent chunk of change. She is sorting through the estate process now. Same will happen when my father dies with my two siblings and I. Neither side made much money, a teacher and a carpenter, they just tried to live debt free and invested in the market pretty well. Also, the fact they own homes in California helps. It will all roll into our joint portfolio. We help out needy folks and donate a fair bit. We have kicked around starting a scholarship fund back at my high school in a pretty difficult area when social security kicks in. We shall see. Focus now is on retirement. My kids will be more than fine when I kick.
No. Absolutely not. I've told my parents several times to spend their money. They earned it and should enjoy it. Hopefully I'll already be retired when the times comes anyway. I'm not putting money into my retirement now with the idea of how much the kids are going to get. If there is some left over, great. If not, they need to make their own way in this world. Besides, I want to have some fun with my money now.
Dad already gave me all his and my Grandpa's gun about 10 years ago when they down sized houses. I treasure those more than any $$$ I'll one day receive.
Pops already given me far more than I could ever conceive. Everyday I realize new wealth I didn't know existed.

I have my work cut out to pass on even half the things my father gave me.

Couldn't tell ya about any money though.
I need to call dibs on one of my mom's old antique cupboards and my dad's saddle.
No.
Going through that now. My dad died last April while I was in Afghanistan. Older sister is managing the estate. I got a letter from the attorneys asking me to sign paperwork so I could receive a check. I asked for a breakdown of assets because the amount seemed too small. Turns out sister decided to buy dad's 69 Camaro from the estate for $4k. She can't seem to understand why I'm pissed & refuse to sign. I located the Camaro, was with him when he bought it, and know that he paid $8k for the body and had over $42k invested in the rebuild - he did all of the work except the painting.
Yes, I would be pissed as well.
Mom and Dad were wealthy in spirit and love, but never in dollars. They have gone to Heaven and the inheritance they provided has been as fulsome and valuable as anything a person ever could ask - and has nothing to do with money.

I sometime wonder what I/we will be able to leave for ours in the end - could only pray that it would prove half as valuable as what was given me.

Unfortunately this is an all to common story. Greed does some strange things to people.
got 25K life insurance when my dad passed last year

so yep my working days are behind me! (grin)

but he passed some things on to me as others have stated that are worth far more than money.

one of my fave lines is a client sat down years ago and told me
"finally made it, I'm set for the rest of my life"

and then of course the well known by now clincher "provided I don't live past next Tuesday"
I have already received mine basically. My sister got 49% control of the family land and assorted mineral rights and I got 51%. My grandmother started a trust etc....If she continues to be a you know what I have the right to bill her for my management skills and expenses lol.

I have no kids to leave it to.
My grandpa left me two rifles. For an earthly possession they are treasures.
I try hard to live like there isn't an inheritance, but as of today there is a large one between 3 parents/in-laws and a grandparent. But it's hard not to think about, they are all proud that they are able to do so and it's become a near constant source of dinner table conversation.

My wife and I have basically tried to make sure we have no bad debt, and keep putting away savings and retirement like there isn't an inheritance coming. I would hate to waste these good folks life savings on stupid stuff because I was irresponsible, and there's also been many a fortune take an unexpected turn. Either way, I figure we'll be prepared.

It's a very weird feeling.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I'm leaving everyone I love a box of Winchester Big Bore .375 ammo. That should put the young ones through college and set the old ones up in retirement homes for life.

I didn't think the case of that ammo that I have stashed was worth much.

Don't expect much. My father is gone and I told my mother to spend every cent and enjoy the time she has left.
My Sister and two brothers and I expect to inherit a lot of headaches thanks to the tyranny of land planning. How we will care for our one disabled brother when my mom is gone is an open question. I think the government has destroyed any hope of a comfortable portion of my life.
Originally Posted by doubletap

I didn't think the case of that ammo that I have stashed was worth much.

Oh yes, mi amigo, you are set. $280 for 2-20 round boxes.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=389447704
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=389853790
I'd much rather have my parents here than get something after they're gone. I don't look forward to the day that I have to deal with an inheritance...

since i have a marlin in 375 you are not far off from the truth there. I know i don't eject a round less i catch it before it hits the ground.
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I'd much rather have my parents here than get something after they're gone. I don't look forward to the day that I have to deal with an inheritance...

Nor do I and nor did my wife.
Gettin' one now � I and twenty or more others.

My one 2013 allowance � >$1,000, <$1,100.
Pretty sure I will not get an inheritance. The folks are having a good time, and not pulling any punches! Heck - it's THEIR money...My wife had a very small inheritance, and what was left of it after the gov't was done, went to keep my house from falling down. Worthwhile, I guess...
I'm dealing with it right now.
Interesting the OP used the word "admit". WTF?
Something to feel shame in would seem to be the gist.
Folks make decisions that are their's to make, no? I can dump my money to you and who has a say once that decision is made?
The subject came up once with my parents what did each of the sibling want after my parents passed. I refused to discuss it other than to say that my brother and sister could have whatever items they wanted. We all get along and are all successful in our own right so neither my brother or sister are sitting around coveting anything my parents have. If theres going to be a fight over who gets what then i prefer it happens after they are gone so they dont have to see it. But I seriously doubt there will be any issues.
Between what I am doing and what three of four parents have done, we should be very well set. However, here is a fact in my mind.

-Many people worship $ over what they should.

-$ is often a motivating force behind and pushing evil.

-$ can destroy families.

Some of the happiest, honest and selfless people I know are essentially broke.

A totally unexpected inheritance allowed both my sister and I to retire earlier than we'd planned. Our brother died unexpectedly from a stroke. He'd never married or had kids so his sole heir was our mother (now 96 and going strong). However, he had a large IRA with my sister and I as beneficiaries.
Waiting for an inheritance is like waiting to win the Powerball.
If I did not work for it then it is not my money. My wife and I have made our own fortune and are beholden to none.
I fully expect my wife's 3 sister's and my 3 stepsister's to fully evolve into a pack of parasitic whores when our parents pass. I expect nothing nor do I deserve anything.
I posted this before on another thread but it's worth repeating:
If you have any assets with a place to list beneficiaries, LIST THEM BY NAME. Do not list them 'per stirpis', which is the legal term for letting the legal line of inheritance decide who gets it. If their names are listed, they'll get the money without it being probated. If a legal line of inheritance is required, only a court can decide who is the legal heir so it has to be probated, which is exactly what probate is - deciding who gets the money.
Even if you want it to go to your spouse or kids, put their names on it. When you die, they'll have the money within weeks. If it has to be probated, it could be tied up for a year or more.
The two times my wife has had jury duty each time her jury had a case of family members contesting the distribution of a last will. She said in one case a grandparent had skipped over their own children and willed everything to their grandkids and their parents were hoping to break the will to get the inheritance for themselves.
My wife and I started planning for our retired years more than 40 years ago. We'd have been fairly well set even if we had not inherited my MIL's estate. We'll return the favor. We just set up a trust so that our two daughters and their families will split our leavings.

On my side of the family, I had long feared that my sole remaining uncle would leave me his 100-acre heritage farm in New Jersey. I have deep emotional ties to the place, but I would not have wanted to own it. It went to my last living relative, and I'm sure she'll leave the farm to her son. He's the one who ought to get it, anyway. Just proof that there are some things one doesn't want, no matter how valuable they might be.
My wife got some from her mom passing within the last year... but there has been alot of fighting between her brothers and sisters over what each one expects when the house sells...

as far as my folks go, they are fairly well off, and in their 80s... so it is just a matter of time...

but I have told them to give anything they care to leave behind to my son, and my wife... I don't want a nickle, because my greedy ex wife has been waiting to try and seize every penny she legally can...

I hope God grants me the independence to be able to work right up until the day I die...
An inheritance is certainly not part of my retirement plan - no way I'd ever consider "counting on it". That said, my folks are in pretty good shape financially and there likely will be something when the time comes. I really don't care if there is or isn't and would rather that time never come, but reality is what it is...

I do hope that I will be in a position to leave something for my step daugthers and grand children.
Originally Posted by joken2
. . . in one case a grandparent had skipped over their own children and willed everything to their grandkids . . .

my mom and dad had nothing growing up and have worked for everything they have ..............i told them i hope they spend every last dime I dont want anything not saying it wouldnt be nice but taking care of me and my family is my issue know not theirs
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Just curious if an inheritance is part of your retirement plans, or if you do receive one, would you leave it for your grandchildren, or a mixture of your children and grandchildren? I'm sure my dad did not receive an inheritance from his parents, because they were dirt poor. My dad was pretty successful, and apparently left my step mom in good financial condition, but I have no idea what she has, or if we (seven children) or our children will inherit anything when she passes.

Counting chickens before they've hatched is a bad idea.
The only thing I would like to get from my parents is my Dad's gun collection that means a lot to me in that we have shared so much time in the fields/marshes/woods together with those firearms. I can recall many stories just by looking at each shotgun and rifle he has..... Those mean a lot to me, far more than the monetary value the firearms represent.

Other than that, I tell them to spend it all now.
I don't want any of their money, go enjoy life now while you still can.
Go on some trips, buy a new car, splurge on yourselves for once.

You worked for it, go enjoy it while you can.
Nope. My folks have lived long after retirement and other than some keepsakes I don't anticipate more than enoguh to pay for funeral expenses.

My wife's parents are educators and his plan has always been to spend while he's healthy and live off his state retirement.
When my mother died my sister and I split everything 50/50, final amount wasn't that much, but it was something.
Wife's mother died and left her three kids a bunch more. They lived life well and invested well and had set up a trust so the distribution was easy and painless among the kids.
We put this money into our own trust for our kids.
We have been very lucky that money has not a problem for us now that we are both retired. Our investments, home, and vehicles are all in the trust , so when it comes time,our kids should continue to enjoy our hard work and the love we have provided them.
The secret to any inheritance is proper planning, I don't think there is anything better than a Living Trust. You don't have to be rich to have one, it just makes it a lot easier on your family.
Here's some good info on setting up beneficiaries. They'll take precedence over a will and don't have to be probated. A person contesting a will can't touch it. If your asset can list beneficiaries, DO IT! BENEFICIARIES
My mom is my only living parent left and I don't expect anything from her. I want her to enjoy her life and do what she wants, if that means spending every single penny she has then that would make me happy.

She has 2 rifles that I plan on taking when she does pass, one my dad bought, a Sears and Roebuck Ted Williams 30-30 and my dad Marlin 336c in 30-30. Those rifles will stay in our family at least until I am gone.

and the democrats taketh it away grin
Nothing shows a persons true colors like a custody dispute or a probate dispute. Ask any lawyer.
Many people with "loving" siblings who think things will go smoothly after the parents' demise are in for a big surprise.
inheritance ... very un-likely
I do not desire an inheritance, nor am I expecting one. I live as though it will never happen, and am content that it wouldn't happen. I've told my folks this as well. That being said, they tell me that my brother and sister and I will be taken care when they pass. I'm still not counting on it.
is it bad to get an inheritance?

No.

I'm pissed.
My wife & I both received significant inheritances, we were happy to get it. We give the maximum nontaxable gift each year to our Daughter & son in law. Better they get the money when they are young enough to use it.
Mom has been gone 30 years and Dad a dozen. They divorced 15 yrs before Mom passed so I lived thru two estates...neither with alot of cash equity. What I did have the opportunity to do was buy the family farms from both sides of the family....and although there was a price tag....it was truly priceless. Oh, I got Grandpa's still that was buried in the chicken coop too....:)

Best,
Scott

A properly drawn and executed Will prevents most of that schitt, as does a Trust. You are right about your observations, though.
Remember the granddaughter waiting breathlessly to see if she got Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino. Classic.

Likewise, we used to have a couple here who ran a high class women's clothing store and they banked a few million from it. They didn't have any kids. In their will, they said that the community made them rich and they gave it all back to the community. Their relatives got almost nothing. To start with, they built a planetarium for the local college among other things.
The inheritance of a good name is prized above all others. That one lasts unless you contaminate it yourself.
When my grandmother died my mom asked me what I wanted and told me to go to her house and get what I could get. I never went till everyone else tore her house apart. All I wanted was a knife she showed me and told me it was the first knife that her and my grandpaw got when the got married. She went on to tell me how many hogs she scraped with it when they killed hogs. I got it, it was one of the only things left. The handles were about to fall off and the blade had been sharpened so many times it was half gone.

I asked for her kitchen table and chairs but my bitch aunt by marriage took it even though they have plenty of money and me and my wife just got married and didn't even have a table yet. Plus my dad was the one who gave the table to my grandmother. F'ed up if you ask me. People are $hitty. God is just though and people like that will get what's coming to them.

My pop already has his property in my name so nobody can try and screw me out of it. Gonna have one home free and clear and another I will have to split with my step brother. My dad has worked like a dang mule since I was a baby so he could leave me something cause his dad died when he was 14 and left him in poverty. I would trade it all if I could have had more time with him when he was working every weekend when i was a kid.
will tell one story, since they are all dead. My brother in law had a couple of sisters, all three came from a farm/ranch near odessa texas. One of the sisters lived on it for years. Oil was found which she hated because it stunk. she in her day gave over 1million to oral roberts every time God talked to him. She employed some mexican nationals that had worked the farm for many many years. Every time la migra rounded them up, she would go down and bring them back up. She eventually died and the remaining siblings had a decision to make. They gave the ranch to the mexicans who had lived there for so long retaining the oil rights. This brother in law who was like a father to me in many ways, i didn't know it until close to his end, had been giving 10% of everything all his adult life to the danny thomas hospital for kids. Not many people would do the above, and shows his character.
Yes! I got an inheritance 73 years ago from Mom/Dad; my birth! They taught me and my two brothers how to pay attention to the important things and that if we worked our azzes off we'd do well....which we have! Things that the 'entitlement generation' feels should be free!!

A Pox on 'em all!!
Well.... My kids have already received a portion of their inheritance. We've given each child a substance endowment.

As for what my parents leave me ? I know what they have, but I'm not looking forward to that date- Hope to have them around for many more years.
The way I look at it, I have already received my inheritance, what my Dad taught me from the time I was a young lad until he died in 2004. He taught me a set of values that have served me well throughout my life. Much more valuable than any material things he could have left behind. He was not a wealthy man but he was a wise man. I give thanks for that every day. I hope my son will feel the same way about me when I am gone.
Interesting topic.
I don't honestly know. No one ever talked about money in my family growing up. My parents have been quite successful and my brothers and I both have jobs and are self sufficient. I felt like I grew up middle class to upper middle class, but I grew up in an expensive suburban town, so no doubt it was probably above average. I do expect to have a solid retirement from my own earnings and investments. My parents tried to instill a low debt lifestyle in us, and wanted us to graduate college without the burden of a student loan debt that so many have. I would like to be able to at least do that for my future children, but hopefully more.

My Dad came from literally nothing, but my mother is a different story. His Dad died while living in an nonrunning RV at a truck stop in the California desert. My mom was successful in her own right, but I never paid attention to what she came from until more recently. As I opened my eyes to the lifestyle that she was blessed with as a child, the more I realized might be in her parent's estate. Just in the last year or so, I heard a story of my grandfather losing millions (of Finnmarks? Dollars? Deutsch marks? I don't know, these aren't the kinds of follow up questions that you ask in my family) in the late 50s or early 60s during his failed attempt to build a shipping company like his wife's family (my grandmother's family helped to start one in 1897 that is still in existence, although not in its original form). I do know that my grandfather's inheritance from his adopted mother, and therefore his consequent illegal adoption was part of 4 nation dispute. Recently, I've learned of his real mother's adoption of another woman and her family, but saw letters that pretty well spelled out that he would be getting her money, while this other woman would inherit her apartment in Vienna. The family that my great-grandmother adopted is from a line of the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Castell-Rudenhausen and the von Auerspergs (look em up). My great grandmother was of more minor nobility, but still fascinating to me nevertheless. Does that mean those individuals were rich? I don't know. Other interesting historical factoids that my grandmother has shared with me from the businesses of her and my grandfather's colorful life has certainly hinted at that the fact they were never lacking and did well even after this shipping debacle.
So, as I've dug into their family history, I can't help but wonder, what, if anything is there that my brothers and I may inherit. Like I said, none of us need money, but I'm very curious what there is, and not just in terms of cash. I've seen some pretty priceless antique heirlooms, some of which my grandmother has already given me or my brothers (but mostly me, though my older brother did lose my grandfather's signet ring).
My grandfather died 2 years ago. My grandmother is 87. Will it all go to my mother? I don't know, and I don't dare ask, it doesn't seem like appropriate table talk. I don't think my mother knew or appreciated the history of successful businessmen that she came from until very recently, so these obviously weren't conversations she had with her parents either.

My fiance's grandfather is 92. I know he has something like 1600 acres of farm land in western Kansas that seems to provide the trustees in her family with some nice income. But once again, she doesn't know if there is anything specifically for her or just her Dad and Aunt.

So, my point is, I'm not going to lie, I do think about it. I'm not ashamed of it, but I do try to hide that history and don't bring it up in conversation because of what other people might infer from it. The anonymity of the internet allows me to feel more comfortable talking about it than with friends and coworkers. I dang sure am not counting on an inheritance and will continue to try to live a lifestyle that shouldn't ever need it. But, like I said, I wonder what's there. Is that wrong?
A recommendation for you all is not to leave land to multiple people. spell out how it should be divided.

Here is what happened to my dad a few years ago.. Seems that my dads great aunt passed and left some property to my father and his brother and sister. 140 acres in east Texas with a small house. The house was being rented to the pastor of the church just up the road. Rent was barely enough to pay the taxes and all were fine with that.

Three years go by, and the pastor gets moved to another church. Dad's brother calls him and says he has found a buyer for the property and wants to sell all for 90K. Dad says that's too cheap and would rather sit on it for a few more years. Brother says "you have no right to keep me from my inheritance!".
Well, my dad ends up buying him out and sends him a check for his third. Has documents drawn up and sends a check for 30K. Brother cashes check and does not sign or return documents.

So I'm at the house one day and mom and dad are arguing and I find out about this. "Have never liked this uncle much anyway". So I tell dad that since I'll be travelling over there soon, that I would be happy to drop by his brother's and pickup either a signature or the money back. Or I could let his brother find out what a 30K ride in an ambulance feels like.

Brother signs immediately and all is well for a few years. Dad sell timber and splits w/sister, then they find a buyer. Sell the land for 185K, dad gets 2/3 and sis gets 1/3. The brother has the nerve to call up my dad and tell him "I think you screwed me over on that land deal" Wants more. I don't know what happened. He aint sayin...
John
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Nothing shows a persons true colors like a custody dispute or a probate dispute. Ask any lawyer.
Many people with "loving" siblings who think things will go smoothly after the parents' demise are in for a big surprise.

A proper trust makes for smooth sailing.
My parents will pass soon and I suspect will leave me a portion of their savings. It will all be used to get the kids independent and grown up. Mostly college or some type of training. Not part of the retirement plans. I will get by but am focused on providing and supporting my kids .....I guess it's my legacy to them.
Interesting to read how so many posts did not address the OP's question, at all. Like folks wishing that those smartly invested in the stock market should fail. Peculiar.
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Interesting topic.
I don't honestly know. No one ever talked about money in my family growing up. My parents have been quite successful and my brothers and I both have jobs and are self sufficient. I felt like I grew up middle class to upper middle class, but I grew up in an expensive suburban town, so no doubt it was probably above average. I do expect to have a solid retirement from my own earnings and investments. My parents tried to instill a low debt lifestyle in us, and wanted us to graduate college without the burden of a student loan debt that so many have. I would like to be able to at least do that for my future children, but hopefully more.

My Dad came from literally nothing, but my mother is a different story. His Dad died while living in an nonrunning RV at a truck stop in the California desert. My mom was successful in her own right, but I never paid attention to what she came from until more recently. As I opened my eyes to the lifestyle that she was blessed with as a child, the more I realized might be in her parent's estate. Just in the last year or so, I heard a story of my grandfather losing millions (of Finnmarks? Dollars? Deutsch marks? I don't know, these aren't the kinds of follow up questions that you ask in my family) in the late 50s or early 60s during his failed attempt to build a shipping company like his wife's family (my grandmother's family helped to start one in 1897 that is still in existence, although not in its original form). I do know that my grandfather's inheritance from his adopted mother, and therefore his consequent illegal adoption was part of 4 nation dispute. Recently, I've learned of his real mother's adoption of another woman and her family, but saw letters that pretty well spelled out that he would be getting her money, while this other woman would inherit her apartment in Vienna. The family that my great-grandmother adopted is from a line of the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Castell-Rudenhausen and the von Auerspergs (look em up). My great grandmother was of more minor nobility, but still fascinating to me nevertheless. Does that mean those individuals were rich? I don't know. Other interesting historical factoids that my grandmother has shared with me from the businesses of her and my grandfather's colorful life has certainly hinted at that the fact they were never lacking and did well even after this shipping debacle.
So, as I've dug into their family history, I can't help but wonder, what, if anything is there that my brothers and I may inherit. Like I said, none of us need money, but I'm very curious what there is, and not just in terms of cash. I've seen some pretty priceless antique heirlooms, some of which my grandmother has already given me or my brothers (but mostly me, though my older brother did lose my grandfather's signet ring).
My grandfather died 2 years ago. My grandmother is 87. Will it all go to my mother? I don't know, and I don't dare ask, it doesn't seem like appropriate table talk. I don't think my mother knew or appreciated the history of successful businessmen that she came from until very recently, so these obviously weren't conversations she had with her parents either.

My fiance's grandfather is 92. I know he has something like 1600 acres of farm land in western Kansas that seems to provide the trustees in her family with some nice income. But once again, she doesn't know if there is anything specifically for her or just her Dad and Aunt.

So, my point is, I'm not going to lie, I do think about it. I'm not ashamed of it, but I do try to hide that history and don't bring it up in conversation because of what other people might infer from it. The anonymity of the internet allows me to feel more comfortable talking about it than with friends and coworkers. I dang sure am not counting on an inheritance and will continue to try to live a lifestyle that shouldn't ever need it. But, like I said, I wonder what's there. Is that wrong?

That is an interesting story. To answer your question, IMO, there is nothing wrong with privately wondering if one might receive an inheritance.

The thrust of my original question was this: if one is sure he is going to get an inheritance, would one be willing to openly admit it and then tell us what he was going to do with the inheritance (ie. spend it on himself, rely on it for retirement funding, pass it along to his kids, or grandkids, or a mixture of these options.)

Many who have responded have made it clear they are counting on their own investments and savings for retirement, but that was not really the jist of my question. Many responded that they knew they were not going to get anything, or if they did, they weren't "counting on it" as a golden parachute into retirement.

Both my father and mother are dead, but my stepmother is still alive (84) and she has mentioned to me that when she passes everything will be divided equally among seven children. (My oldest brother, divorced and never re-married, passed three years ago and has a living daughter, so I assume she will get her dad's share.) My dad made me the the executor of the estate, but when he died 11 years ago, my step mom made her oldest daughter executor (it is a living trust.) We just don't talk about it. I am curious though to get an idea of what may be in there. My sister-in-law is a CPA and she did my step mom's taxes one year, so she knows, but I dare not pry. It just seems like it is none of my business.

I am really concerned about the future of my children and grandchildren however. With the way the commies are taking over and the lack of a work ethic amongst a majority of the population, I feel like me and the little wifey should plan on living a very simple life, and try to leave as much as possible to the kids and grandkids, including everything my father/step mother may have accumulated in their estate that may pass to me.

My wife's folks are both long dead, and they had no savings or property of value.

Originally Posted by EdM

Depends on the Trustee. Good ones are hard to find and corporate trustees can be horrid.
Look out for the first heir that says "... but Mom wanted me to have this."
Originally Posted by EdM
Interesting to read how so many posts did not address the OP's question, at all. Like folks wishing that those smartly invested in the stock market should fail. Peculiar.

I answered it. I have no kids so I really don't have to worry about the children of my children.
I do think about it from time to time, but I don't dwell on it.

My parents are still alive. They are doing very well - it is just me and my sister (whom i don't speak to, she is first born). I have made it perfectly clear to them that you lose the game of life if you die with money left unspent, though they have already set up a trust for my children's college education (their only grandchildren) - this was important to them. My parents have provided me with a solid education, and paid for college so I did not have any debt when I entered the work force. I am entirely grateful for that. After college, I have not received any financial assistance from anyone, and don't expect to. I will do the same for my kids, and hopefully my grandchildren.

My wife has not talked to her parents in 8 years. In fact, only 1 of her 6 siblings talks to them. She had a horrible childhood. Doubt she will be left anything, and we don't want it either.

When my grandparents died, they left my mom and her two sisters about 1/2 million each. I have three cousins on that side of the family that were pissed off they were excluded from the will. It boggles my mind. Aunts, uncles, and cousins went to their house to go through the stuff. My aunt asked me if I wanted their dishes, which my wife (fiance at the time) gladly accepted. We use them to this day. The only thing I asked my aunt that I could have was an old Case pocket knife that I found, for a keepsake. I keep it with me on my back country hunts as a reminder of my grandfather, who was a simple, but great man.

My dad is 57 years old, and already retired. He had a 68' corvette in high school and still talks about that car from time to time. I hope that I can soon afford to buy him that exact same corvette.

With all this said, when I retire, anything I have left will be left to the people that mean the most to me in my life. I have three children from 3 to 11. At this time, they will get everything. However, I have seen my parent's friends leave their entire estate to their children who are horrible people, or have not been a part of their lives for years. For some reason, I do not foresee me doing that if that was my case.
Originally Posted by EdM

I'll let you know, I'm on 3 weeks now.
I am in my late 70's so I have already seen both sides of the inheritance game. Have seen where several brothers (most unmarried) tried to decide their sister shouldn't be entitled to any of their mothers estate because "she's married and doesn't need it!

I had a small inheritance from my mother (much to my fathers chagrin.) That was 30 years ago. My father wasn't worth talking about.

Seven years ago my brother and I each got a substantial inheritance from an aunt who had no children. I was aware of the contents of her will prior to her death because I was her financial guardian. In seven years neither my wife or I have spent one cent of that inheritance. We are able to live quite well on what we personally acquired and saved over our working lives.

We have two daughters who are constantly telling us to travel or do something to use our money. Their attitude is worth more to us than money.

The one thing the inheritance did do for us was to provide us with a feeling of comfort in knowing that should we ever require nursing home or other aid (so we don't burden the children) there is money available to pay for it ourselves.

To answer the original question I don't think it is wrong under some circumstances to expect an inheritance but no one should plan their retirement based on receiving one. I think there is an old saying which roughly states that the first generation creates wealth, the second generation conserves it and the third generation spends it. Fortunately I will not be around to find out.

Jim
© 24hourcampfire