Home
My four year hitch in the Marine Corps was during peacetime,'60 - '64, so I've never seen a man killed in combat.

But I've witnessed, first hand, men killed in accidents on the job. Two died in my arms.

Ken's thread about the cannon getting loose on the ship brought chills down my spine, because I saw a death so similar in much the same circumstances.

We were making the trip from Okinawa to Camp Fuji McNair in Japan, which we did 3 or 4 times a year. Sometimes we went aboard LSD's and sometimes LST's. It is a mean stretch of water.

This particular time, we were on 3 LST's and the second or third night out, a storm came up about as bad as I've ever experienced. No troops were allowed topside.

All our 155's were on a different ship than the one I was on. We had our vehicles chained to the cleats on the Tank deck, including a TD18, the equivalent of a D5 or D6 Cat, it seemed to me.

The rack I had chosen was the first one inside one of the four passageways [doors for you landlubbers grin] to the walway and just before "lights out", a Staff Sgt. came in assigned me to guard the passageway to ensure that no one could could access the walkway that ran around the Tank deck, but a couple decks above it. It had ladders going down and they provided the only access to the Tank deck where our vehicles were lashed down.

We were to keep everyone off the Tank deck. If a vehicle got loose, we were to ignore it. Any loose ones would be dealt with when the sea calmed.

The operator of the dozer somehow got onto the Tank deck. I suppose one of the other guards let him thru. His dozer had slipped two of its turnbuckles on the same side. I could look down on the whole affair, being almost directly above him.

The 18 would slide back, loosening the chains that still held it on one side, then as the ship took a 35 or 40 degree roll in the opposite direction, the chains would catch it, so it was not completely loose. Diesel [ the catskinner's nickname] was attempting to fasten the turnbuckles that had come completely loose from one side as the ship made a roll in that direction.

After a few attempts, I saw one of the other chains come loose, I screamed at him, but their must have been too much noise since he never gave any indication that he heard.

He was bent over, with the turnbuckle in his hands, stuck thru the tiedown loop on the 18, and intent on putting the other end in the deck cleat when the dozer made its slide toward him.

This slide, with no lashing to restrain it, the dozer didn't stop. The end of the blade pushed his head up against the front wheel of a Five Ton truck and just kept going right thru his head.

As soon as I yelled back into the Troop quarters about what had happened, the ship's crew took over, and we were confined to quarters.

It didn't take them long to recover his body as they brought it back thru our quarters and placed it in the reefer. It was another day or so before the sea calmed enough to get a chopper in to haul Diesel's body out.

I wish I hadn't read the loose cannon thread this morning.
I'm always amazed when people opine that life aboard a warship must be a piece of cake. Let's see... you're living in an all-metal environment subject to constant motion, filled with heavy machinery that's always in motion, surrounded by high-explosive, toxic or highly flammable substances. What could go wrong?

Damn near everything...
Murphy was a Pollyanna �

Howell's Law is much more realistic �

Whatever can not possibly go wrong will go wrong sooner or later.
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
I'm always amazed when people opine that life aboard a warship must be a piece of cake. Let's see... you're living in an all-metal environment subject to constant motion, filled with heavy machinery that's always in motion, surrounded by high-explosive, toxic or highly flammable substances. What could go wrong?

Damn near everything...
My father told me of times when men on deck forgot to pay attention and walked into the prop of an idling fighter.. He said they just hosed down the deck and kept on..

He was operations officer on the old carrier Langley in WWII.

Forgot to add: when I was in the Navy we were always told by senior chiefs that Navy rules were written in blood.. I did not doubt them..
One of the deaths when I served my mandatory year was via OT64 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OT-64_SKOT - they were parked side by side and driver was backing one in while talking to a friend standing on the side.

They did not realized that the next OT is not parallel and the moving one snipped the friend mid body.

When you deal with heavy stuff, people get hurt.
Dead doesn't bother me. Dying, on the other hand, does.
The chiefs were right. Unfortunately, I saw too often what happens when those rules were broken or ignored. Hosing blood off of decks is a memory that never quite goes away.
read my response to loose cannon.

norm
I was on the USS Saipan at the end of 1991 or early 1992 (Summer Med cruise turned into a through the med, into the gulf cruise after the Gulf War) when a harrier pilot had a "parking" accident and drove his plane off the flight deck.

I don't think that helps your chances at promotion......
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Dead doesn't bother me. Dying, on the other hand, does.

Depends on the individual.

Made a t-stop on a kid wanted for sticking a gun in a bank tellers face. He put one in one ear and out the other....

After he was loaded up in the meat wagon, I returned to my car and finished my banana which I started prior to him driving past.
You can watch 100 deaths but "ONE" tends to and will always stick out for some reason? Never understood that? Something makes it different?
This thread made me reflect how lucky I am. I've never witnessed anyone getting killed.
Two accidents, one a pedestrian hit by a truck on the interstate and was not killed instantly, the second was a truck driver who jackknifed his rig on a curve, and hit the stone cliff next to the road.. I was one of the first people on the scene... both died in my arms...and I had no idea what to do with injuries that severe...

That was when I was in college... on e in Pennsylvania and one at home in Virginia...

both were the motivation contributors for me picking my MOS in the military....

I didn't see it happen, but I had to take care of the aftermath... when an M60 Tank ran over another soldier.. that wasn't fun...

have dealt with many patents dying over the years... both on the wards, and in the OR....

you get use to it, but those first two stick in the memory the most....
Only one I've seen happened when I was 11. I rode up on my bicycle literally seconds before the line snapped and he got electrocuted. Won't ever forget the sight of it or the smell. Here's the obit with story:

"Leland Thorne Services for Leland Eugene Thorne, 13, son of Mr. and Mrs. Donnie Thorne of 1115 E. 78th St., were at 3:30 p.m. today at Sanders Memorial Chapel with Richard E. Cline of the Jehovah's Witnesses officiating. Burial was in Resthaven Memorial Park under direction of Sanders Funer- ai Home. The boy died here Thursday afternoon from electric shock and burns sustained when the cable he and other youths were playing on broke and fell into a high-voltage line. Justice of the Peace Bill Ross ruled that the death was accidental. The boy was born in Lubbock. He was a seventh grade student at Atkins Junior High School. He was a member of the Jehovah's Witnesses"
When I was part of emergency service we worked a head on accident one morning where the guy was in a half ton pickup that had taken on a semi. Fella was pinned in in the sitting position behind the wheel and the whole firewall had moved in pinning him back with the steering wheel, both legs badly broken and virtually tucked under the seat yet still able to speak to us very coherently. Sadly though he had an internal bleed and the only thing keeping his blood pressure up enough to survive was the pressure being applied by being trapped. As soon as we pulled the firewall back to release him it was like a switch was turned off in him when his BP dropped. Even M.A.S.T. pants couldn't bring it back up and he did not survive. Life can end very quickly. Not the only one I've seen die but was looking right at him as the hydraulic unit released him and saw his last waking moment.
LT is right, the ones that are dead, ain't so much. But I've got one particular one, in a bad wreck, in a rainstorm on opening day of bow.. I was in the stand when the pager went and it sounded bad so I ran... and drove...

Guy was pinned in, and I"m on a hose line trying to keep the one vehicle on fire out, and from catching the one on fire that he is in... we are cutting him out and he keeps staring at me saying help me, please help me.... When the guys finally lifted the dash... I could see all the pink drain from his face, which is what I had kinda thought was going to happen... went from hose line to CPR on him all the way to town in a rain storm, to have him pronounced when we arrived.

I say it doesn't bother me, and it doesnt' so much, I don't think... but I won't ever forget that one either. I don't dream of it or it doesn't wake me... but I do see him from time to time in my mind.
Damn.. funny that we typed about exactly the same thing at the same time...
I've seen a lot from when I worked with the Rescue Squad. Had a young black woman die on us from an embolism caused by childbirth. Same thing killed my mother.
Originally Posted by MColeman
I've seen a lot from when I worked with the Rescue Squad. Had a young black woman die on us from an embolism caused by childbirth. Same thing killed my mother.

Wouldn't 'young women ' suffice ?
curdog;
Hopefully this finds you and yours acceptably well this snowy and slick January afternoon sir.

I've been fortunate thus far into my life - will turn 52 this year - in that I've never had anyone expire while I was right there.

For a number of years now I've been an Occupational First Aid guy at work and carry a go bag in my vehicles, so I've stopped at a couple good wrecks over the years.

One that stands out was an older chap who'd rolled a Pontiac Solstice at least 3 times. The crazy thing was he had this techno pop/disco music blaring and I couldn't get a pulse with the entire car shaking from the tunes.

The doors wouldn't open and for whatever reason the airbags hadn't deployed - but the gas cap and cover were gone. Funny what you remember on these details.

Anyway I could see he'd taken a mighty blow to the head and as a result he was a GCS of 2 when I first gloved up and made a shaky 3 before the local volunteer firemen got there.

I couldn't do much for him as it turned out curdog, but I had the distinct impression he was about to make the last leg of the journey so to speak.

There was another accident where the chap had already gone, but again I wasn't there until after.

Philosophically speaking I think I'd be OK attending anyone other than family or folks close to me, but with all things, only riding that one down would tell for sure how I fared.

Thanks for the thought provoking thread this afternoon curdog and all the best to you folks down there.

Dwayne
Originally Posted by Furprick

Sure. Why does it bother you? We made more calls to blacks than whites. We didn't discriminate. What if said that she was Chinese? I think you have chosen an apt screen name...except for the 'fur' part...and it was not woMEN...it was just one.
Mickey- Some folk are just not used to people making a distinction when referring to people of one shade or another.

Just regional thing I suppose.
Hope you and yours are well, also, Dwayne.

I believe my worst one was a young man, 19 YO as I recall, whom we had hired only a couple days before. I was Foreman at a large steel Fab Shop, and I put him to swamping for our yard truck driver, who was his friend.

They were unloading a 10,000# bundle of angle iron with a bridge crane when the chain sling broke, falling right across his middle. I was cradling his head and shoulders as guys were prying on the bundle to get another chain under it to lift it off him.

He was looking up at me and trying to speak and his eyes just glazed over. The Paremedics came and officially he died on the way in, but I believe he died when the light left his eyes.

That was in 1971, but anytime I hear a tremendous crash like the sound the angle iron made hitting the concrete, it seems I can see his face just for an instant.
Yeah whitey lives in Canada where they don't have black folks laugh

Black folks describe themselves by shade, light skinned, dark skinned it's not being racist.

Mike
Saw a man get killed. He was black, for those of you keeping score.

Saw a woman kill herself, she was white, for those of you keeping score.

Happened to arrived shortly after the fact a bunch of times, but only saw those two cross the great divide.

No, it appears from what Mickey wrote that there was only ONE young black woman.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Mickey- Some folk are just not used to people making a distinction when referring to people of one shade or another.

Sounded to me like PSA just letting the world know that he not only was above such but that he heartily condemned anybody that made that distinction. If I had first said 'a woman' nobody would have known that she was black. wink She still got the best treatment we could give anybody.....at no charge.
What Mickey sees in his mind's eye when he recalls it is a Young, Black, woman.

To relate it otherwise would lack the poignancy of the way he told it.
Originally Posted by Esox357
You can watch 100 deaths but "ONE" tends to and will always stick out for some reason? Never understood that? Something makes it different?

The smell.

Gunner
Amen.

Sounded to me like PSA just letting the world know that he not only was above such but that he heartily condemned anybody that made that distinction. If I had first said 'a woman' nobody would have known that she was black. wink She still got the best treatment we could give anybody.....at no charge.

I hear ya.

After moving to Colorado from Georgia, I was relating a story about a black kid. Some girl piped up "why's he have to be a black kid", with out breaking stride I replied " I suppose because both his parents were ni$$ers".

The look on her face was priceless.

Regardless, I think most get you.
Man, heavy thread, really makes a guy stop and think.

Overhead 'tension', tow straps/chains breaking, the odd cow/horse/4 wheeler situation, car accident, run-over by something, getting in a hurry, machinery.

I heard on the news today some poor ice fisherman hit a pressure ridge(at night) with his four wheeler and died.

Earlier this Winter someone down the road got squashed by a round bale and died.

I wouldn't work around people I didn't trust. Or at least really keep an eye on them and what they are doing.
The more I read of your posts, the better I like you.
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by Esox357

The smell.

Gunner

Yeah, Bud! Been there and smelled that lots! Phew.

And I think the reason Mickey called her a black woman was . . . . . because she was a black woman. I can tell scores of stories about people who were either Indian men, Indian women as well. It is one of the memories that comes back as details your mind remembers. Not a racial thing at all.

So "Why did she have to be a young, black woman?"

She didn't HAVE to be, but she was.
Originally Posted by BC30cal
curdog;
Hopefully this finds you and yours acceptably well this snowy and slick January afternoon sir.

I've been fortunate thus far into my life - will turn 52 this year - in that I've never had anyone expire while I was right there.

For a number of years now I've been an Occupational First Aid guy at work and carry a go bag in my vehicles, so I've stopped at a couple good wrecks over the years.

One that stands out was an older chap who'd rolled a Pontiac Solstice at least 3 times. The crazy thing was he had this techno pop/disco music blaring and I couldn't get a pulse with the entire car shaking from the tunes.

The doors wouldn't open and for whatever reason the airbags hadn't deployed - but the gas cap and cover were gone. Funny what you remember on these details.

Anyway I could see he'd taken a mighty blow to the head and as a result he was a GCS of 2 when I first gloved up and made a shaky 3 before the local volunteer firemen got there.

I couldn't do much for him as it turned out curdog, but I had the distinct impression he was about to make the last leg of the journey so to speak.

There was another accident where the chap had already gone, but again I wasn't there until after.

Philosophically speaking I think I'd be OK attending anyone other than family or folks close to me, but with all things, only riding that one down would tell for sure how I fared.

Thanks for the thought provoking thread this afternoon curdog and all the best to you folks down there.

Dwayne

Ya, must be a regional difference!
Never saw anyone killed thankfully, but I held my Mom's hand as the time between her breaths got longer and longer until she just stopped breathing. This after having to make the gut wrenching decision to remove her life support.
However there was a peace in the room and I had a profound sense of "others" being in the room. I believe the angels were there to carry her to the arms of her Lord. I feel for tjose with no hope and cannot imagine how they handle death.

I think it would actually be harder with someone I didn't know. I feel for you guys that have been there and done that. Especially witnessing an accident that costs a life.
Brother Keith;
It's ironic that a few of us have mentioned specific memories that stand out in incidents such as we've been sharing.

In mine, for the life of me I can't recall the older fellow's face, but vividly recall looking down at my right elbow and seeing the gas cap door gone as well as the gas cap - and of course smelling the fumes.

That coupled with the cranked up tunes - which were 40 years too young for this guy, or so I thought.

Anyway I was going through working on him by the numbers so to speak and in the back of my mind thinking that the whole situation with no gas cap wasn't optimum.

Did you know you can pull the keys out of one of those Solstice's and the music keeps going? I didn't up until then anyway.

We had some memorable incidents at work too involving saws and such that I can see as I type.

Folks surely have a wide range of reactions to pain stimulus, that much I know for certain.

Anyway I'm sure my few MVAs are only a couple shifts in the wrong AO when one is an EMT or LEO.

The son of a good friend is now an EMT in Calgary but he cut his teeth on the Hobbema Reserve and he pretty much saw it all there.

All the best to you and your fine family Brother Keith - may the last accident we attended be just that....

Dwayne
Witnessed three deaths myself. The first was a man who was ejected from his truck going down the highway. He came to a stop a good 60 yards from the highway when he smacked into an oak tree in front of the Chinese restaurant I had just walked out of. He wasn't dead immediately upon impact and he didn't want to die either. I watched his whole struggle as he succumbed to death in the end. I was five years old at the time.

Second death was my great grandmother. A doctor had given her a dose of medicine she was allergic to at the age of 92. She was frail and weak in the end but the strength of her convulsions as she died in my mother's arms is something I will never forget. I may have been 10 at the time.

The third death happened around 3:00 am as I was delivering a car from Indianapolis to Fort Campbell Kentucky. A soldier in full uniform riding a Harley pulled out from the parking lot of a bar, he never saw the semi coming. He was thrown clear of the motorcycle and landed in the median. It was so late and I had had so little sleep I thought I hallucinated. I passed back by the incident scene about 15 minutes later which was just in time to watch responders cover him with a sheet.

I am not haunted by any of these deaths but I do hope to never witness another.
My friend Paul M was one of the gentlest, lovingest souls whom I've ever known. Having no children of his own didn't diminish his love for the daughter of the woman whom he married. And when a baby was born to the daughter, she was just as precious to him as if she'd been his own granddaughter.

If you have a granddaughter, you know!

The night when the teen-aged daughter and her boy friend were killed in a car crash, Paul was the one who had to go out to the crash scene and identify the bodies.

The first thing that he saw when he drove-up was the baby's head lying on the pavement.

I can not imagine anything more wrenching, nor any man who'd be more torn.

I don't have any idea why that child's head had just been left lying there, unless the others in the cars had been keeping everybody busy trying to keep 'em alive.
Life ain't fair, and there is no dignity in death.

I learned that lesson the hard and final way, on September 30, 1996.

The notes I took from the "Chalkboard" sometimes wake me up at night.

Originally Posted by curdog4570

Bingo.

You want to hear a man tell of his experiences, you listen to the recollections of the man.
I've seen two. When I was a kid we were up at our camp in Pennsylvania, and out for a ride in the mountains. Narrow, twisting mountain roads-straight up the hill on one side, straight down on the other. A car came flying by us with a small motorcycle right behind it with two guys on it. Dad commented, "we'll see them wrapped around a telephone pole up here somewhere." Sure enough, just a few minutes later, we rounded a curve and could see where the bike had piled up, and the car had rolled down the mountain. One of the guys from the bike ended up propped up against the guard rail. I will never forget that his face was covered in blood, eyes open wide. We could see the car down over the side of the hill on it's roof with the wheels still spinning. One doesn't forget those images. Both people in the car and both kids on the bike died.

The other time was also a car accident. A construction zone at an intersection. A semi ran the light and hit a Geo Metro going with the green. Climbed right up over the car with it's trailer and kept on going. I don't think they ever did get the driver. Poor lady was dead on the scene. You remember weird things from stuff like that. I remember running up to her car, and another guy was all ready there. I asked if she had a pulse and he told me the whole side of her head was caved in. What struck me was the dash lights were still working, and the wipers were trying to run. I never did hear if they caught the guy, but I don't think they did.
Outside of a sick bed or funeral, I've only seen 1 dead person. I was driving and came over a hill to find a guy had rolled his van and went through the windshield. His body was lying in the road. It had only happened a minute or 2 earlier but several cars had already stopped so I kept going. It was a long way from anywhere and I didn't pass a cop heading out for almost 20 min.
A friend of mine is local PD and a couple of years ago he was first on the scene of a suicide. The man had shot himself in the side of the head with a revolver and was sitting in a chair. He was still alive but couldnt or wouldnt speak when he talked to him. He told me the man's eyes were moving around as if he was looking around the room, he told him to remain calm that medics were on the way, but he was gone within a minute if that.

If she'd been handicapped, would referring to her as a "young handicapped woman" bother you? Or as "a young Japanese woman" if she were a Japanese woman? I assume that "young" doesn't bother you. Why not?

By what logic, standard, or principle is referring to a black as a black somehow objectionable? Not mentioning that fact doesn't eliminate that fact.

Or are you just intent on showing everybody how prissily fastidious you are � and expect everybody else to be?
Before I became a fireman and saw people killed in just about every manner except a human sacrifice I worked in construction. My close friend was the superintendent.

I picked him up that morning and he was telling me their would be a helicopter to lift AC units onto the roof of a big furniture store.
He was explaining that cranes had a high failure rate and it would be faster with the copter.

Extra sheet metal guys were hire out of the local union hall and the store manager was there to watch and take pictures. I was also going to take pictures since I had just bought a basic SLR camera.

So the first 2 units go on and it was really cool to watch and take pics from the roof. The copter pics up the third unit and is moving to the roof opening and we hear a mechanical high pitched whine, the copter drops the unit on the roof from about 30 feet and in one motion crashes on the roof. I remember the pilot shutting down the engine and [bleep] flying everywhere. We ran to the copter when it shut down and helped the pilot out. The spotter bailed right as we got there. It was then we realized the copter landed on one guy, I remember people scattering but this guy didn't and the poor S.O.B. was pinned under the copter face down with the skid across his back from his left low back to his right shoulder blade.
And he was still alive, banging on the steel deck with his right arm.
We tried to lift the copter with the structural steel under it but there was no leverage point, the deck steel just sheared like a can opener.
The fuel tank on the copter opened up and was running over his head and through a hole into the building.
When the pilot released his load the ac unit hit the roof right next to the wall where the shear strength was greatest. 10 feet over and it might have gone through the roof. Where the copter crashed was over a structural column that went through to the foundation or it would have gone through the roof.
I got the heebee jeebees for a long time anytime I had to work a helispot especially when they were coming in to land 10 feet from us.
I pulled a scuba Diver who was struggling into shore while I was fishing. He was blue and didn't look to good. Other divers got some oxygen for him and he came around pretty fast.

About the time he was starting to walk around 2 other divers surfaced further out. They were brought to shore by some other guys. One looked dead but cpr was done on him when he got to shore. The other of the second 2 was fine at first but started having some pretty serious pain. Both of them were flew to the twin cities where they were pronounced dead. One from a hard attack suffered 200 feet down and the other from the benz (sp?) From rising to fast with his dying buddy.

I was 21 at the time and doubt I'll forgot the look of them guys and the site of the guy in extreme pain and uncontrollable spasms.

I took a valuable lesson away from it all. It was hardly a remote area and it still seemed to take forever for help from the paramedics to arrive.

couple years ago wife and I woke to some kids lighting off fireworks out front of the house. I grab a flashlight and headout to move them along, not wanting the ifreworks to wake my little kids.

On the way down the steps & outside I hear a cat whining & crying.

In the 70 seconds it took me to get shoes on and walk over, a VERY frantic officer had already arrived.

It wasnt a cat, it was a lady in the street, shot by her husbands GF. Apparently she died right about that time.
Head on collision between a water cooled, 2 stroke 750 Suzuki (water buffalo) and Chevy Suburban,..back around 1984, or so.

Bike doing about 70,..Suburban doing about 50,..about 50 yards in front of me.

I was on another bike.

The Suburban knocked the Suzuki back in my direction but to my left.

It happened in a lot less time than it takes to tell about it.

My memory of it is an enormous *BLAM!*,..the bike tumbling end over end in the opposite direction that it had been traveling an instant before, the Suburban going off the road behind the tumbling bike and punching through a white board painted fence, then having to get on the brakes and swerving right to keep my bike from hitting the body laying in the middle of the road.
Been there for several, including one in my arms. First though I was 6 at a car accident a half block from home. It has been 53 years since, remember the car, the wreck, the people, the night, yeah.... the first never fades. The others just remember a little bit.

The other subject - white are not the only ones that differentiate a race in relating a story, Blacks, Native Americans, Asians.. yeah we all do it. It tells a bit of the story of what happened and reactions. Not racist, nor prejudiced, just a point of fact.
Not trying to one up or be that guy but seriously, there have been too many to remember. People do really stupid ass stuff when left to their own devices.

Crimson Tide had it right...there is no dignity in dying at all. Watched more than a few die in the midst of total strangers in all manner of dress or undress...etc., etc.

I think about folks going off to work like every other day, having done the same routine and expecting nothing different at all...and then never going home that night...that strikes me as odd. Nobody goes to work thinking they will get zapped that day...nobody.

Old folks dying is a natural process...has no effect on me at all. Kids dying bothers the sh�t out of me and all the dudes I work with...just hits home like a punch in the face in a dark room...really blows...some of those have left a mark.

Suicides are bizarre...not the gore part but the desperation a person must feel to take it to the limit. Although the physical damage sustained from a swan dive off the 16th floor onto your squash on the street below is beyond what most can imagine.

Auto erotic asphyxiation is just plain [bleep] up...do CPR on a sex act gone bad...just bizarre on a few levels.

People killing each other is a bit twisted as well. Worked an ass clown who slit his throat...he made it only to have us eating dinner a few shifts later watching the evening news and see the same douchebag in an orange jumpsuit. Two cities south he ambushed, robbed and murdered an old buck at his home. Clearly we should have let that cock sucker bleed out a few weeks earlier.

Had a few lose all pressure in MVA's as mentioned earlier...sitting and talking to you until the pressure point is released and the internally bleed to death and expire.

As far as the first...it was 10 year old kid on the back of his mom's cocked boyfriends motorcycle. I have never forgot the look on the kids face...probably wont either.

People die in all sorts of ways...this is mostly what I take from it:
1) no dignity in it 95% + of the time.
2) people do really stupid stuff and usually it doesn't go well for them.
3) for the most part we cannot pick and choose how we go from this place...no more than how we got here...for the most part.

....Mickey...don't feel bad...I usually preference most of my stories the same way...a black dude, a white dude(usually in the wrong neighborhood), a Hispanic dude, a Puerto Rican dude, a Chinese or Asian dude, a fat dude, a skinny dude, a drunk dude, a whacked out dude, a punk ass dude, a Greek dude, an old dude, a young dude, a poor dude, a sh�t bum dude, a dead dude, a frozen dude, a gay dude, ....you get the picture...

The real question is...Have you ever killed a dude or dudette? War does count...
as first responder with the JAWS there were 3 but before we got there, the ones that bother me are the ones in extream pain before you can extract them.

norm
Only seen three.

One was my former neighbor. She ate both barrels of a sawed off 12 gauge in front of our apartments. It was a sickening mess.

The other was a guy who hit a car head on riding a motorcycle. He died later that night, but as i understand it, he didnt get to the hospital for over an hour after the wreck. Poor guy.

The other was my Mother In Law. She was hard to watch pass. Her breathing hurt to listen to, and it is still very painful to think about her dying. I held her hand on the way out, and kissed her goodbye for my wife who was too torn up to go back in the room.

Just remember folks, we could all go at any moment. Love like there is no tomorrow, cuz there just might not be...
Norm...dead is dead...I agree...I also agree that the live ones that check out before your eyes is a helpless feeling and leaves you asking if you could have done something different to make a difference or at least eased their freaking pain before heading to the white light.
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

If she'd been handicapped, would referring to her as a "young handicapped woman" bother you? Or as "a young Japanese woman" if she were a Japanese woman? I assume that "young" doesn't bother you. Why not?

By what logic, standard, or principle is referring to a black as a black somehow objectionable? Not mentioning that fact doesn't eliminate that fact.

Or are you just intent on showing everybody how prissily fastidious you are � and expect everybody else to be?

Racism is generally defined as actions, practices or beliefs, or social or political systems that are based in views that see the human species to be divided into races with shared traits, abilities, or qualities, such as personality, intellect, morality, or other cultural behavioral characteristics, and especially the belief that races can be ranked as inherently superior or inferior to others, or that members of different races should be treated differently.[1][2]
Didn't see her jump, but was we were within 200 yards, saw a lady running down the median of the street with a maglight, she jumped out into traffic just ahead of me and the family...I hit the brakes and said WTF loud enough to wake up the wife, the kids (all under 3)....got home in time to see breaking news about some lady with a maglight jumping off an overpass.....

she jumped off of an overpass, a car hit her on the way down, and then caught half of an 18 wheeler.........
I had a 16 year old kid bleed to death in front of me. Literally right in front of me as I climbed into the car he was in that had been t-boned. There was nothing that could have been done to save him but I will never forget it
My uncle flew B-17's in WWII. He said he would never walk to the back of the plane after he came back from a mission, too many rear and belly gunners all shot up. He also told of how the ground crew would try to get aboard an aircraft when they were working on it as they got hazardous pay whenever they were off the ground.

That was fine until they crashed one of the B-17's with the ground crew aboard killing them. After that the ground crew was not allowed to fly in the aircraft anymore, they were considered too valuable.

My uncle always wondered what his value was during the war after that as they weren't afraid to send him up with one of those birds...
I have seen 2 or 3 that have tried to take on an L&N train,one was in a VW bug toe other in a Dodge truck.

The only thing that was left on the crossing of the VW was the from the engine back.

Saw a gut at a plant in Houston get pinched by a cable that rapped around his waist,messy.

And one that was in a wreck that caught on fire,it happened so fast no one had time to do anything and the small fire extinguisher didn't have enough in it to put it out.

One does not forget the smell of burned people!
Originally Posted by bruinruin

Bingo.

You want to hear a man tell of his experiences, you listen to the recollections of the man.

I'm just glad she wasn't blonde and blue eyed, for if he'd used those descriptive words to describe her well I might have been offended. whistle

the PC crap is outa control, guess it's just surprising to see it crop up here.

course the racial chit gets outa control here too once in awhile, I wish it was as much of a surprise.

but good lord what we've become, I truly don't think Mickey meant a damn thing other than just a description of the poor woman he saw expire

tis indeed a thought provoking thread gents, sobering
I spent 13 months of my time in the Corps in Vietnam. Saw buddies killed and dead, saw bad guys killed and dead, saw civilians killed and dead. I have nightmares about killed and dead.
Racism is generally defined as actions, practices or beliefs, or social or political systems that are based in views that see the human species to be divided into races with shared traits, abilities, or qualities, such as personality, intellect, morality, or other cultural behavioral characteristics, and especially the belief that races can be ranked as inherently superior or inferior to others, or that members of different races should be treated differently.[1][2]

When you find yourself in a hole, quit digging.

If you can find any evidence that MColeman suggested inferiority or superiority in his post, it's because you put it there.

Shame on you. Really.

To all you first responders and Good Samaritans, thank you.

P
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

If you can find any evidence that MColeman suggested inferiority or superiority in his post, it's because you put it there. �

Duh evva-luvvin' troof, well said!
� Racism is generally defined as actions, practices or beliefs, or social or political systems that are based in views that see the human species to be divided into races with shared traits, abilities, or qualities, such as personality, intellect, morality, or other cultural behavioral characteristics, and especially the belief that races can be ranked as inherently superior or inferior to others, or that members of different races should be treated differently.

Please take careful note that racism isn't the only way to consider yourself superior.
[quote=Pharmseller] �
If you can find any evidence that MColeman suggested inferiority or superiority in his post, it's because you put it there. �

Duh evva-luvvin' troof, well said! [/qu

His choice of words are from ,at least , a race conscious background. Therefore , he probably had no malicious motive to describe the woman in that way. Just as my parents described dark skinned people as ni__ers back in the 50's.
Anyway, if it was my daughter I would only accept that she be described as a young woman.
My cousin is a psychiatrist (MD) and his wife is a Pharm D (Dr of Pharmacy). We were once driving over Independence Pass when a guy on a motorcycle wiped out in front of us. No helmet. Guy had head injuries as well as multiple broken bones. They quickly acted and got him somewhat stabilized. When the ambulance arrived, they identified themselves as doctors and took lead on the trauma -- got him intubated and a mainline started for drugs. Short story is the guys brain injuries were too severe and he died there on the roadside before the helicopter could arrive for flight for life.

As we got back in the SUV and were driving away, my cousin said, "That was the luckiest guy in the world. He gets in a motorcycle accident and has a trauma-trained doctor immediately on site along with a trauma trained pharm D. Too bad he died..."
[quote=Pharmseller] �

His choice of words are from ,at least , a race conscious background. Therefore , he probably had no malicious motive to describe the woman in that way. Just as my parents described dark skinned people as ni__ers back in the 50's.
Anyway, if it was my daughter I would only accept that she be described as a young woman.

What background isn't race-conscious? You're the one equating race-consciousness with racism. To your own detriment, I might add.

You should stop being such an a-hole.

What you would accept (and how arrogant do you sound with that statement?) has nothing to do with how the rest of the world would see your daughter.

P

After moving to Colorado from Georgia, I was relating a story about a black kid. Some girl piped up "why's he have to be a black kid", with out breaking stride I replied " I suppose because both his parents were ni$$ers".

The look on her face was priceless.

Regardless, I think most get you.

I'm pretty disgusted and frankly, disappointed in you, MM. At the very least, you should've put a warning up. But noooooo, and instead, you caused me to waste a good gulp of grog...

I owe you a drink for that just the same.

Edit: a thought-provoking thread. Thanks, OP.
Everyone has their view of what it is and this comes from life's experiences and what was taught, especially in their younger years. I guess in some small way I am trying to break that chain of ignorance.
maybe that's what you "see" yourself as trying to do

but I don't believe that's how most of us see it

don't recall a lot of your posts, but I probably would if they had offended me, so doubt you're a bad egg. Just horribly misguided in your perception of Mickey's tale.

but as someone already mentioned, you seem intent on diggin your way to China

hey sometimes a guy just wants authentic Chop Suey I reckon
Everyone has their view of what it is and this comes from life's experiences and what was taught, especially in their younger years. I guess in some small way I am trying to break that chain of ignorance.

I get the underlying sentiment I think, but in this instance Mickey was simply describing his memory of a woman. Now if he'd said, 'but since she was black who cares anyway?' would've been a whole other matter. wink

I have been guilty of...er, being thin-skinned on the subject on occasion in the past. blush eek whistle OK, very guilty. Especially prior to my getting to know some of the folks' online personas, so to speak. Anyway, Mickey's not that way, and there was no malice there, so just moving on is in order, methinks.

Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

don't recall a lot of your posts, but I probably would if they had offended me, so doubt you're a bad egg.

Wait a second. Are we talking white egg or brown here?

whistle
Well - there was this young Canuk woman....

Seriously...Yes - four. Three all at once. First one DRT, and the other three dying in front of me. Had the everlasting pleasure of seeing one's face the moment of his awareness of his impending demise.

Be careful on your motorcycles and don't mess with trains. That is all I have to say.
18 years of career EMS has gave me the misfortune to see too many deaths in front of me in all manners.

Like Fatjack said it just comes with the territory and for the most part while in the mess its all business as there is time to reflect after its over.

Kids still bug me and the one that sticks the worst was a neighbor girl from down the street.

Another teen neighbor who had recently gotten her drivers license looked down to adjust the radio and swerved pinning the young girl to the phone pole in front of about 20 other children waiting for the school bus. Upon our arrival she was talking and had good vitals but no sensation form point of impact down. We all knew the situation so the girls parents were picked up by the department chaplain, shields were made with salvage tarps and prepared for the inevitable.

Compartmentalization syndrome is a bitch to explain to a mother and father who can see, touch and talk to their child. Its a sad pill to swallow that there baby will die as soon as the car is moved.....

Absolute hell as it was a small town and both families knew each other well as did all the other parents that gathered and all of us on the fire dept.

Most days its just a job and I do my best but I know better then to take the demons home with me or allow them to consume me but the memories are always there.
I have only seen one person killed. When i was a kid my parents were taking us kids for a ride. A car went flying by us like crazy. Up the road a ways the troopers had a road block set up. The speeding car stopped and the guy got out and started to run Troopers kept telling him to stop running. He didn't. He was headed toward some woods. Trooper got a rifle out of his car and killed the guy just as he reached the edge of the woods. Never forget the way he fell. Found out later he robbed a bank and killed the teller.
I haven't seen anyone die but I when I worked on the farm, I had to go in early and take some back roads. I came up on a truck that was upside down in a ditch. Not sure why I stopped but it became clear I was the first person there after the wreck. A local farmer was dead from what I assumed was head injuries. I contacted a friend on mine that was on the fire department and went on to work.

Found out later the U-joint went out on his truck and caused him to lose control.

Was coming back from Carbondale, IL and my GF and I stopped at McD's to grab a burger. Kid was in the parking lot with his buddies on a Yamaha VMax which I thought was a cool bike so I stopped to talk to him. He was leaving as we were going in.

After we finished , we left McD's and got back on the interstate. A few miles down the road we came up on him and his buddies. They were standing on the side of the road with a state trooper. It was clear the vmax rider was dead with the bike mangled up.

Finally - with my young kids in tow, going down to see the inlaws in Alabama, we came up on a wreck with a dodge caravan that must have been filled with family members. The caravan was split apart and they were in the median sprayed all over the place. My kids were young enough that I hope they don't remember that.

I guess I'm lucky because I really had to sit and think about if I ever saw anyone dead and then I realized I've seen quite a few but it just doesn't stay with me.
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
18 years of career EMS has gave me the misfortune to see too many deaths in front of me in all manners.

Like Fatjack said it just comes with the territory and for the most part while in the mess its all business as there is time to reflect after its over.

Kids still bug me and the one that sticks the worst was a neighbor girl from down the street.

Another teen neighbor who had recently gotten her drivers license looked down to adjust the radio and swerved pinning the young girl to the phone pole in front of about 20 other children waiting for the school bus. Upon our arrival she was talking and had good vitals but no sensation form point of impact down. We all knew the situation so the girls parents were picked up by the department chaplain, shields were made with salvage tarps and prepared for the inevitable.

Compartmentalization syndrome is a bitch to explain to a mother and father who can see, touch and talk to their child. Its a sad pill to swallow that there baby will die as soon as the car is moved.....

Absolute hell as it was a small town and both families knew each other well as did all the other parents that gathered and all of us on the fire dept.

Most days its just a job and I do my best but I know better then to take the demons home with me or allow them to consume me but the memories are always there.

how/when do you make the decision to move the car? I'm not I could knowing what is going to happen.

Well stated my friend.....the demons will eat you whole....best just to not give them the attention they seek....but you are right on....the memories are lingering...always.
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
maybe that's what you "see" yourself as trying to do

but I don't believe that's how most of us see it

don't recall a lot of your posts, but I probably would if they had offended me, so doubt you're a bad egg. Just horribly misguided in your perception of Mickey's tale.

but as someone already mentioned, you seem intent on diggin your way to China

How do most of you see it? How do others perceive it? This is not a direct attack on Mickey, but on the culture. On the other hand BC30cal, who is neither friend or foe, but does live in my area, can relate a story where I have no idea what the person is like other than the music being played was generally deemed "not of his generation". So I guess there is regional differences , and by my estimation (all though we may not agree on many things) is a class act. Something to be learned here boys and girls.

How do most of you see it? How do others perceive it? This is not a direct attack on Mickey, but on the culture. On the other hand BC30cal, who is neither friend or foe, but does live in my area, can relate a story where I have no idea what the person is like other than the music being played was generally deemed "not of his generation". So I guess there is regional differences , and by my estimation (all though we may not agree on many things) is a class act. Something to be learned here boys and girls.

If I may be so bold as to speak for others, and since you admit to making an attack, I'll tell you how I see it.

When an attack is made over an offense that doesn't exist, as in this case, the attacker comes off as arrogant and/or overly PC, both of which are very annoying. It's like you're shaking your finger at us for something we didn't do.

Mickey simply stated a fact, without prejudice or malice. You took that fact and created something out of it that wasn't there. In doing so you offended everyone else who also saw nothing wrong with the statement and you looked pompous while doing it.

You don't need to ask the first two questions in your post. Simply read the responses with an open mind, not one predisposed to finding racism where none exists.

P
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Head on collision between a water cooled, 2 stroke 750 Suzuki (water buffalo) and Chevy Suburban,..back around 1984, or so.

I was on another bike.

My memory of it is an enormous *BLAM!*,..the bike tumbling end over end in the opposite direction that it had been traveling an instant before, the Suburban going off the road behind the tumbling bike and punching through a white board painted fence, then having to get on the brakes and swerving right to keep my bike from hitting the body laying in the middle of the road.

Which one was in the wrong lane?

If I may be so bold as to speak for others, and since you admit to making an attack, I'll tell you how I see it.

When an attack is made over an offense that doesn't exist, as in this case, the attacker comes off as arrogant and/or overly PC, both of which are very annoying. It's like you're shaking your finger at us for something we didn't do.

Mickey simply stated a fact, without prejudice or malice. You took that fact and created something out of it that wasn't there. In doing so you offended everyone else who also saw nothing wrong with the statement and you looked pompous while doing it.

You don't need to ask the first two questions in your post. Simply read the responses with an open mind, not one predisposed to finding racism where none exists.

P

Ever hear of rattling a cage to see what falls out?
Originally Posted by KFWA

how/when do you make the decision to move the car? I'm not I could knowing what is going to happen.

I've not been EMS/Fire but for only a few years... why I decided late in life that I needed to who knows..

I have not had to deal with the car type yet, but we have lost some, MVA and when you release the dash or whatever... for us, its as soon as we can get to them, and get the pressure relieved so that EMS can take over just in case there is something to salvage.

Of course I know already pretty much, when you get to a bad scene, how its going to play out.

RE the kids... I don't have any clue why they don't bother me much. Somehow in my twisted mind the tykes won't have to take on many years of life at least thats how I view it, but for some reason they don't bother me any more than anyone else we work on/with.

But I do see how it bothers many folks. I generally take the lead if kids are involved so that others don't have to. My nephew is awful soft there just having a 1 year old, and at least he is smart enough to walk away if need be.

There will be some point where we all have to walk away though.

I tend to rest easy knowing that doing anything, in a way of help, as a volunteer, is better than doing nothing or not even showing up. Though I really wish our CPR runs would have a higher rate of success than they do. But we do get the occasional save.

Kind of liek the house fire last night. 10 more minutes and we'd have had a major fire in an old wood frame 2 story house..... luckily even as volunteers poked out of bed at night, we got the dryer fire out before it could catch the rest of the house...so every now and then we aren't "slab savers" as some call us. And every now and then we get to talk to our CPR patients later.

Makes up for all the other times.

P

Yeah, I have. The shaker is usually bored, an a-hole, or both.

Which are you?

P

P

Having followed this unfortunate part of the thread, if you think things were wrong so be it. If you think that is going to change anythign I suggest you think again. Nothing wrong was stated in the eyes of the majority here. So why would anything change? I"d say possibly best to take your argument to democratic underground or such, were the majority of folks have chips on their shoulders.

And I suggest you never become a writer, those woudl be BORING books not having a clue...

Mickey's statement quickly put a vision in my head of what was going on...

The statement in bold just hit me like a punch in the guts. I love being a daddy, but the worrying I could do without.
� Ever hear of rattling a cage to see what falls out?

Have seen it often �

The epitome of supercilious arrogance.
My wife witnessed one on a motorcycle. She was going to work one morning preparing to make a right turn. A motorcycle behind her changes lanes to go around. At the same time a car pulls out from the right where my wife is going. The biker lays it down on the left and just misses the car. He's skiidding down the street and lets go of the bars. Somehow he got stood up and high side doing a rag doll flip and slamming his head on the ground.
She waited for EMS with this guy and he never woke up, just real ragged breathing. He was still alive leaving in an ambulance.
So then she calls me at work extremely upset. I thought I would try to go home for her. I called both shift opposites and couldn't get anyone. This is where it got weird. One co-worker is a department chaplain. When I called home his son said his dad AND mom were at a hospital. I wondered why he would take his wife on a chaplain call. I left a voice mail for him and when he called back he started relating the story of his brother that was in a MC accident so he wasn't on a chaplain call and it looked like he was brain dead. Wow, the hair on my neck stood up and I asked him if it happened in Ontario. He was real quiet and said yes.
The fact that my wife who is not the praying type prayed for God to ease his suffering, whatever his will brought a lot of comfort to him and his family as they ended up removing him from life support 2 days later.
� Ever hear of rattling a cage to see what falls out?

Have seen it often �

The epitome of supercilious arrogance.

Out of context, but may impress some of the viewers here. I have to ask this, are you still 'pissed' about the decision in the JT Scopes trial?
but good lord what we've become, I truly don't think Mickey meant a damn thing other than just a description of the poor woman he saw expire

My office manager for the last 15 years I was in business in Selma, AL was a black woman. In my relating of the incident involving a death I was afraid that some of you might have thought she was Shoshone. Just wanted to be safe.

I do appreciate all that responded on my behalf. Not a racist thought in the post....just telling the story.
Originally Posted by fatjack34
The real question is...Have you ever killed a dude or dudette? War does count...

Ran over a guy in the road one night that was passed out. He didn't make it to the ER. He was a white guy.

My office manager for the last 15 years I was in business in Selma, AL was a black woman. In my relating of the incident involving a death I was afraid that some of you might have thought she was Shoshone. Just wanted to be safe.

I do appreciate all that responded on my behalf. Not a racist thought in the post....just telling the story.

I'm sure there wasn't, but as we progress we must be cognizant of the other point of view. My mother (88yrs old) does not use the N word anymore, she does not relate to Adam and Steveanymore. She has a grandson that's gay so she had to tuck that one in.
Yes our culture are different and like is said don't hate the sinner, just the sin. This applies here. Have a great day. FP
� as we progress we must be cognizant of the other point of view. �

To the point of making that point of view the only allowable point of view?

Shouldn't that laudable ideal of tolerance work both ways?

Shouldn't anti-racists be as tolerant of racists
and shouldn't gays be as tolerant of anti-gays
as they want everyone to be tolerant of them?

(BTW, "tolerate" doesn't mean "approve.")
� as we progress we must be cognizant of the other point of view. �

To the point of making that point of view the only allowable point of view?

Shouldn't that laudable ideal of tolerance work both ways?

Shouldn't anti-racists be as tolerant of racists
and shouldn't gays be as tolerant of anti-gays
as they want everyone to be tolerant of them?

(BTW, "tolerate" doesn't mean "approve.")

Tolerate means to allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that one does not necessarily like or agree with) without interference. Cognizant means having knowledge or being aware of.
These two words have a relationship in this context, level of awareness will dictate the level of interference.
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Yeah whitey lives in Canada where they don't have black folks laugh

Don't know whether that was tongue in cheek or if you just don't know what you're talking about.

Jim
Do you see the smiley at the end....

As for furprick, have you ever seen a person killed.

THAT is the subject, not this drivel you keep shoveling.

Keeping it up will get you a Travis greeting. The horse is dead already.
Originally Posted by rost495
Do you see the smiley at the end....

As for furprick, have you ever seen a person killed.

THAT is the subject, not this drivel you keep shoveling.

Keeping it up will get you a Travis greeting. The horse is dead already.

Yes , was with my father when met his demise, worked on an ambulance when I was a late teen, and have seen dying, dead and the severely injured. All part of life, I take no pleasure or pain in it nor does it haunt me.
Dead horse , yup I'll move on.
All this talk of racism and philosophy notwithstanding, I forgot about another one I saw pass. The guy had been skin diving alone, and they brought him to the ER trying to revive him right next to us ( was in there with an injured friend). It didn't work...
I watched Dad draw his last breath, which is something you both don't wish to see, yet know you should be there to see.

After work one day in Fresno, I pull up to a stoplight on a hot afternoon, to see a man laying on the hot asphalt, with a crumpled bicycle, and a car with smashed windshield nearby. I had only been there a few seconds, and was trying to decide what to do, when a cop rolled up and raced out of his car to the victim.

After looking at the victim for a moment, the cop walked slowly back to his car.

A minute later a lady in a nurse uniform did the same thing, jumped out of her car, raced to him, then walked back to her car after a moment. I did not see the detail of the injuries, but gathered they were un-survivable. The man appeared poorly clothed, perhaps homeless. A couple days later, a small cross was erected with his name. It was a small comfort to me, that at least he was loved and missed.

Seen a few injuries of varying severity over the years, none fatal, however.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

I was on another bike.

The bike.
Originally Posted by austincohoon13
Witnessed three deaths myself. The first was a man who was ejected from his truck going down the highway. He came to a stop a good 60 yards from the highway when he smacked into an oak tree in front of the Chinese restaurant I had just walked out of. He wasn't dead immediately upon impact and he didn't want to die either. I watched his whole struggle as he succumbed to death in the end. I was five years old at the time.

Why did you have to say it was a Chinese restaurant and not just a restaurant?? You some kind of bigot? laugh
Originally Posted by fatjack34

Ran over a guy in the road one night that was passed out. He didn't make it to the ER. He was a white guy.

I almost did that one dark night.

I don't know why the guy decided to sit in the middle of the road,..well,..other than he was drunk.

After I got my truck stopped I got out and drug him over into the ditch,..told him to stay there.

There was a bicycle laying nearby. I don't know if he wrecked on it or what, but he didn't seem hurt.

He was grumping and mumbling something at me as I drug him into the ditch.

,...only time I ever called the cops on somebody,..and only because I was afraid his drunk ass would crawl back out into the road.
Do you paint all your pictures with invisible paint?

Bless your heart, what a miserable soul you must be.

Yea, you should have said 'soul'. wink
Originally Posted by bruinruin

Bingo.

I could say some people are pricks.
Originally Posted by eyeball
� some people are pricks.

� and some of 'em like to flaunt it as something to be proud of. crazy
Was with my Dad when he slipped the surly bonds of this earth.

Have seen many others dead and stinking, but not when they actually died, mostly Iraqi's.

Don't care to see anymore.

Mike
[quote=Pharmseller] �

Only retards aren't race conscious.

P

Yeah, I have. The shaker is usually bored, an a-hole, or both.

Which are you?

P

Animals in cages rattle cages.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

I was on another bike.

The bike.

So, the bike was Japanese, huh?

No. Mr. Coleman wrote a narrative explaining what he saw.

Clearly, you should brush up on the basic principles of composition and descriptive writing. Your inability to differentiate between a narrative and a politically incorrect insult speaks volumes with regard to your intellect. It is not a "regional" thing.

The bike.

You sure it wasn't Chinese? The question was about which was in the Wong lane, right? Oh wait... it was the *wrong* lane. Got it. Never mind.

I did a search on this text to see if it was from some kind of Canadian re-education camp for white men in need of political correction and neutering, but it's just Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism

I doubt that a Boss Hog would have fared any better.

There's not a lot of "give" in a mid 80's Suburban.

It was an intense situation,...lots of bikes in a group taking a curve on a country road. (Lexingtons long standing "Thursday Night Ride" tradition)

Most of them were old timers who knew the road well and knew how to ride it fast.

The guy on the Suzuki was new to the road and got in over his head trying to ride with the fast boys.

He hit the curve faster than he knew how to handle it,...drifted into the opposite lane and was unlucky enough to meet the Suburban in it.

It ended the ride for me that night and I didn't put very many miles on my bike for the remainder of the season.
It's still a tradition around here,...been going on for more than 5 decades.

You boys would give a 'left' nut to hunt in Canada, especially the western provinces. I could sling trash at y'all but you would be better served by smoking a nice fat doobie, putz a whole new look on the afternoon. smile
Bristoe;
Thanks for the CKM video.

There are a group of sport bikers here that do a few rides every summer, nothing weekly though.

I've worked with one of the riders and known a couple others fairly well over the years as well. They seemed to indicate wildlife collisions were a major concern on a lot of southern BC highways.

There have been a couple major wrecks within a 2-3 miles of our place here involving bikes and wildlife, though if memory serves none of riders died.

One fellow and his wife on a Goldwing took out something like 4 or 5 California Bighorns crossing the highway one day. That was memorable for sure.

Anyway, those fellows on the video seem to know what they're about so I'm guessing wildlife on the road isn't a factor there?

Back in the day when I was riding mostly dirt bikes and mostly off roads, we used to say a wreck was survivable as long as you didn't hit anything and nothing hit you. That wasn't always the case of course.... frown

Thanks again for the video and all the best to you and yours this weekend Bristoe.

Regards,
Dwayne
Bristoe;
Thanks for the CKM video.

There are a group of sport bikers here that do a few rides every summer, nothing weekly though.

I've worked with one of the riders and known a couple others fairly well over the years as well. They seemed to indicate wildlife collisions were a major concern on a lot of southern BC highways.
There have been a couple major wrecks within a 2-3 miles of our place here involving bikes and wildlife, though if memory serves none of riders died.

One fellow and his wife on a Goldwing took out something like 4 or 5 California Bighorns crossing the highway one day. That was memorable for sure.

Anyway, those fellows on the video seem to know what they're about so I'm guessing wildlife on the road isn't a factor there?

Back in the day when I was riding mostly dirt bikes and mostly off roads, we used to say a wreck was survivable as long as you didn't hit anything and nothing hit you. That wasn't always the case of course.... frown

Thanks again for the video and all the best to you and yours this weekend Bristoe.

Regards,
Dwayne

Wife and I killed a bear with our motorcycle 3 years ago, only off work 6 weeks, wife not hurt, consider ourselves lucky. I could say what kind of bear or motorcycle but I have learned that others may have sensitivities to that. Dwayne your a classy guy on here others could take that example, self included.
It's still a tradition around here,...been going on for more than 5 decades.

Them's some funny looking Harleys y'all gots down there, B.

wink

That stretch of road along the river is mighty pretty.

Bristoe;

Oh,..we have a bit of wildlife here.

Those young boys in the video are just too young and invincible to worry about boring things like death.

There were 4 of us with motorcycles at the machine shop I worked at back in the late 70's and early 80's.

The Thursday night ride was the event of every week for us.

Back then a big night was 50 bikes and pretty much everybody knew each other.

There was a group of fast boys who liked to scoot along, but most of just meandered on our way down to Charlie's Steak House on the river.

We all met at one place and left at the same time.

It had grown into a much larger event by the late 90's,..with as many as 300 bikes converging on the Banana's Tavern which had replaced Charlie's Steak House.

It turned into people racing to the river from many different locations.

People would line up and watch the stunt riders do their thing.

The cops finally decided that it was getting a bit out of hand and started writing lots of tickets.

It's dwindled down to a much smaller gathering,...but I bet it comes back eventually.

Thursday nights have meant a big motorcycle gathering at the river for a long time.

,...too many nice roads around here to keep the motorcycling down.

Originally Posted by kamo_gari

Them's some funny looking Harleys y'all gots down there, B.

wink

That stretch of road along the river is mighty pretty.

Yeah,..I've been riding that river road for a long, long time.

The second year I lived in Lexington, (1976) I bought a '67 Norton N15. One of the first places I went on it was down to the river.

I've ridden the river road on the Norton, a Harley XLCR, 2 KZ 650's, a KZ900, a KZ1000, an 1100 Suzuki Katana, A Ducati 900SS, a Triumph Bonneville, A 955 Triumph Sprint, and now I alternate between a 650 Burgman and a Harley Dyna Super Glide.

,..vast nostalgia,..
Seen lots of dead and dying. Suicides, murders, auto crashes, even the auto erotic as somebody else stated.

The only one that really bothered me for awhile was one that lived after being stabbed 37 times. I found her and was with her at the hospital until we caught the SOB that did it. She lived, he got life plus 70 for what he did to her and lots of other stuff. She was a tough cookie.
Furprick;
Thanks for the kind words sir, I do appreciate them and will do my best to earn them in future posts as well.

I'm glad to hear you survived a wreck with a bear. We've seen cars totaled here with relatively small bears - they are more "solid" than a deer or sheep somehow or so the damage on the vehicles appeared to me anyway.

When we got out of horses I'd planned to get a bike and my bike licence as well, but as the girls pointed out to me I've been involved in hitting or being hit by two mulies, two whitetails and a beaver while driving so far.

Somehow they figure my reflexes aren't what they used to be either for some reason. wink

Thanks again for the kind words sir and all the best to you folks.

Regards,
Dwayne
I've seen a few die, but the first is still the hardest to remember.
When we were released from a National Guard drill one Saturday - 2 guardsmen got into a street race. As the first driver behind them, I saw dirt fly. When I got there, I saw the guardsman who had lost control leave quickly.
He had run over a paperboy (about 10 years old) standing on a traffic island, taking the kid completely across the intersection. He then threw the car into reverse, backed up over the child; threw it into first, and left, running over the child again.
Another guardsman and I administered what First Aid we could until the ambulance arrived, but we saw the kids eyes glaze over. The ambulance personnel claimed he was still alive, but we heard he was pronounced dead about 20 minutes later.

Mark
Seen more than I care to remember....... D-10N's do bad things to people as do head on collisions.
Just missed seeing two young airmen get vaporized � and maybe becoming the third one to become just a memory myself.

I'd driven out to Eielson from the university to get some surveyed darkroom equipment. Eielson was a SAC base, so I had to wait in the gate house about half an hour until a sergeant from the photo lab could come be my security escort onto the base.

Just after I'd done what I'd come for, had handed one of the gate guards my pass, and had driven a short distance back toward Fairbanks, an air-to-air tanker, loaded with jet fuel, exploded just a few feet directly above that gate house.

When I next drove by there, all that remained of that gate house was a concrete slab and a cast-iron radiator.

I've ridden the river road on the Norton, a Harley XLCR, 2 KZ 650's, a KZ900, a KZ1000, an 1100 Suzuki Katana, A Ducati 900SS, a Triumph Bonneville, A 955 Triumph Sprint, and now I alternate between a 650 Burgman and a Harley Dyna Super Glide.

,..vast nostalgia,..

Insert 'the coast' for your river road, and replaced your bikes with RD 350, 750 Interceptor, Kawi ZX-10, FJ 1200 and a KZ 1000' and we're practically twins. wink

You have fine tastes in scooters either way, B. I'm still clinging to my roots, and my choice these days is straddling a '76 RD 400 and a '78 GS 750E. Totally different, but samo samo era...
Vietnam, watched a mortar round burst through the ceiling. Numerous dead and injured.

On a commercial dive boat trip, we lost a diver in spite of long CPR and adrenaline shot in the heart.
Originally Posted by mark shubert
I've seen a few die, but the first is still the hardest to remember.
When we were released from a National Guard drill one Saturday - 2 guardsmen got into a street race. As the first driver behind them, I saw dirt fly. When I got there, I saw the guardsman who had lost control leave quickly.
He had run over a paperboy (about 10 years old) standing on a traffic island, taking the kid completely across the intersection. He then threw the car into reverse, backed up over the child; threw it into first, and left, running over the child again.
Another guardsman and I administered what First Aid we could until the ambulance arrived, but we saw the kids eyes glaze over. The ambulance personnel claimed he was still alive, but we heard he was pronounced dead about 20 minutes later.

Mark

Please tell me the driver will be in jail for the rest of his life.

Coward.

P
© 24hourcampfire