Home
Posted By: kaywoodie March 6, 1836 - 03/06/14
Liberty and Independence Forever!
Posted By: antlers Re: March 6, 1836 - 03/06/14
"I shall never surrender or retreat."
Travis' "Victory or Death" letter from the Alamo is an awesome document.
Posted By: poboy Re: March 6, 1836 - 03/06/14
"Remember The Alamo!!" Screw a buncha meskins!!
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: March 6, 1836 - 03/06/14
[Linked Image]
Posted By: temmi Re: March 6, 1836 - 03/06/14
God Bless Texas

Tom
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: March 6, 1836 - 03/07/14
I was down on the plaza at 0530 this morning, was part of the volley at dawn. Just got home, spent all day down there.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...-expanded-Dawn-ceremony-5293345.php#next

Sorta like the original; besides Texas there were people in this lineup who had come in from Ohio, Florida, Tennessee and Kentucky to be there.

[Linked Image]

The good news is that the city and state seem to be finally getting serious about upgrading the plaza with an eye towards restoring at least some of the original Alamo compound.

At present inside the Alamo church itself is an exhibit centering upon the eight Tejanos who fell inside the walls on the Texian side. Better than I was expecting; in addition to having several original letters written by Juan Seguin and by people who witnessed the fall, they have Jim Bowie's marriage license from when he married Ursula Veramundi, signed by James Bowie himself. Heck, fer me that ranked right up there with the Travis letter they had on display last year.

...and I will observe too that all the above people practiced remarkably good penmanship.

Birdwatcher
Posted By: Qtip Re: March 6, 1836 - 03/07/14
Amen! God bless Texas and freedom!
The Alamo is on DirecTV as I type. The original with John Wayne.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!
Posted By: eh76 Re: March 6, 1836 - 03/07/14
Many years ago I was within a few blocks and did not get to visit....regretfully.
© 24hourcampfire