Home
Posted By: ironbender Cleveland, MS - 03/15/14
Son might be attending Delta St. Univ.

What kind of shock is an Alaskan kid in for? smile

Tell me what you know, please.
Posted By: F15beeper Re: Cleveland, MS - 03/15/14
A big shock. I grew up about an hour South of there. Small town, hot and humid during the Summer, but at least the mosquito's are horrible. He will see more racial motivated BS than he could imagine from both whites and blacks. I think Delta State is a decent little school. I know a few people that graduated from their aviation program. It's like anywhere else. There are some good people and a lot of losers. He will need to figure out where to stay away from at what times to avoid the losers.

It's not what many would consider a vacation destination.

Jeff
Posted By: cole_k Re: Cleveland, MS - 03/15/14
My under grad degree is from DSU. I was there from '68 to '73 and it was great place. I have been back a few times since and it has become a very PC place.

Duck and deer hunting is great if you get to know the right people.
Posted By: jstall Re: Cleveland, MS - 03/15/14
I live in Cleveland and have for the past 50 years. We have been voted as top 100 small towns in America. The folks here will treat you right as long as you do the same. Cleveland is the best town in the Delta. Plenty of hunting and fishing within 20 mile radius. If he comes here, I'll be glad to show him around.
Also I'm the manager of the local gunshop in Shelby (15 miles). The owners are from Anchorage, AK, and have been here since 1992.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Cleveland, MS - 03/15/14
Originally Posted by jstall
Also I'm the manager of the local gunshop in Shelby (15 miles). The owners are from Anchorage, AK, and have been here since 1992.

The owners last name wouldn't happen to be Thompson, would it?

Ed
Sure is! Bill started the shop, and his son Tim has taken it over and carried it to the next level. We build custom 1911's and National record holding F Class rifles, as well as any other gun work you may need.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Cleveland, MS - 03/16/14
buddy of mine owns a nice gun shop over in Grenada. My wife is from Duck Hill.
Cleveland is a good place, Delta State is a good school. It will be total culture shock for an Alaskan lad though. laugh
Posted By: msuhunter Re: Cleveland, MS - 03/16/14
Originally Posted by jstall
Sure is! Bill started the shop, and his son Tim has taken it over and carried it to the next level. We build custom 1911's and National record holding F Class rifles, as well as any other gun work you may need.

Tim built a 7 rem mag for a coworker about a year ago and it's an absolute hammer. Cleveland is the best town in the delta but that's not saying a whole lot. It is right between two of the worst towns in the United States as far as violent crime goes ( clarksdale and Greenville.) truth be told if all the crime was reported I'd be willing to bet they would rank one and two per capita in violent crime. he is in for a shock but as was said above, it is a great place to hunt and fish if he runs into the right folks. Oh and there will be some good looking farmers daughters attending the DSU education program. If he can honestly say the mosquitoes are worse in Alaska I'll by him a steak dinner at crawdad's in merigold.
Posted By: zimhunter Re: Cleveland, MS - 03/16/14
Believe it I have never been to either Alaska OR Cleveland but I was born and raised in Mississippi. Graduated from Miss State (before it was a University and was a State College along with Delta State). Not crazy about the Delta as I'm from the hill country. Will be going thru that country in a few weeks on my way to Nashville to visit my Daughter. I always stop in Oxford to see my Brother who is a retired Ole Miss Professor. I knew a couple of Alaskans when I was in Gunsmith school and they were very likable. I would imagine he can prepare himself for the greatest change he has ever experienced in dress,comportment,food,manners and above all in language. Whether that is bad strictly depends on him as he will absolutely be given the chance to adapt. The Delta used to have the finest dove shooting in the US and I doubt it has changed. If he likes sports he is in a fine place for it as it is a serious thing in the south especially football. Best of luck to him, what is his field of study? I don't believe I have ever heard Delta State mentioned as to any particular field. Good luck to you as a parent for letting him go so far to school into what is almost certainly a different culture. You are also to be congratulated for allowing it.
Posted By: northwestalaska Re: Cleveland, MS - 03/16/14
Good for you and the boy! I hope he does well. My 2nd daughter is taking a Track Scholarship in Eugene this fall and we are excited as well.

Keep us posted.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Cleveland, MS - 03/16/14
He'll see plenty of 'Bros' and 'Hoes'!!
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Cleveland, MS - 03/16/14
Wow, he'll be surprised but 'kids' seem to adapt easier. Some fabulous waterfowl hunting around.

He'll not be in the minority but he'll not be in the majority either. If he begins to dislike Cleveland just have him spend a weekend in Greenville.
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Cleveland, MS - 03/16/14
be sure and see historic Belzoni.....
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Cleveland, MS - 03/16/14
Rosedale makes for a nice weekend too...
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Cleveland, MS - 03/16/14
....." crawdad's in merigold."

If there is a better place to eat ANYWHERE, I ain't found it.

Unless it's "Doe's Eat's Place" in Greenville.

And... Rosebud's a nice place to drive thru with your windows up and your hand on a pistol, hoping you don't break down. Used to could always see a chain gang cutting grass along the highway just South of there, IIRC. Straight out of "Coolhand Luke".

Some really fine folks of the light skinned variety all along the Delta.
Posted By: jstall Re: Cleveland, MS - 03/16/14
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Rosedale makes for a nice weekend too...

I taught welding and machine shop there for 25 yrs, before retiring. Of course I lived in Cleveland, and drove every day (17 miles).
There are definitely some good eats at Crawdads! One thing about the Delta, we have plenty of good places to eat!
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Cleveland, MS - 03/16/14
Tamales and a great steak at Doe's Eat Place....try it....also a Doe's in Oxford....
Posted By: Violator22 Re: Cleveland, MS - 03/16/14
That boy is gonna sweat his bags off in Mississippi....I think he will have a grand time, is Dad going to come show hiim how to break into the party scene? wink
Ironbender, just let me know if he's coming, and I'll send you my address and phone number. I'm not far from the college at all. I have several good places to shoot, and would be glad to carry him, if he's interested.
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Cleveland, MS - 03/16/14
Heat and humidity will blue brutal if from AK.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Cleveland, MS - 03/17/14
Thanks for the replies and offers to help.

He's looking for warmer weather...lol! He's intersted primarily in their dive team. it's a D-II school for swim & dive.

He better be busy with school and not fishing and hunting! wink

DSU appears very likely as his destination, but not locked up yet.
© 24hourcampfire