Home
Posted By: Sakoluvr Rest in peace brothers. - 03/30/14
Members who are gone from the fire, but not forgotten. Please feel free to add a member.

In no special order:

Qtip
Malm
Clay
Eddybo
Monashee

I'd say the Lord's got em' hired.

They're in tall grass, on long legged horses,

....no fences

lotsa' game and fish,

Base camp is well stocked.

....May he continue to bless, and keep em'

they coulda' done worse.

GTC
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 03/30/14
I don't spend much time up here so I am not real well known but I miss Sassy.

She was great.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 03/30/14
Qtip
Malm
Clay
Eddybo
Sassy
Bullwnkl. He was a great guy.
Posted By: Partsman Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 03/30/14
sonny (need one)
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 03/30/14
I know there was a fine fella from Alaska that passed not that long ago, but do not recall his name. Anyone?
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 03/30/14
What about Monashee
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 03/31/14
Michael Petrov
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 03/31/14
Originally Posted by gitem_12
What about Monashee

That's who I was think of. Thanks.
WMacD
Sanlen died in a fire department accident a couple years ago too. He was a great guy. Miss him terribly.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 03/31/14
Bulletbutt

Then there was that officer from the Midwest who's handle I cannot remember. He took a lot of heat but was an OK guy.
None that were posters here but in the last few weeks have lost 4 or 5 hunters/shooters from my era locally. Guess I'm getting to the age where this will continue to happen with more frequency.

The weather forecasters are calling for a nice sunny day tomorrow, I'd better go out shooting.

Jim
Originally Posted by Scott F

Then there was that officer from the Midwest who's handle I cannot remember. He took a lot of heat but was an OK guy.

Hunter1960

Dink
Originally Posted by DINK

Hunter1960

Dink

I got my first Campfire PM from Hunter1960. He was about three counties west of me.
Posted By: kududude Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 03/31/14

Bullwnkl was a fine man.

He bought a T/C Seneca with both the .36 and .45 barrels from me shortly before he passed on to Our Lord. He loved his son very much and was so proud that he was carrying on the hunting tradition.

Rest In Our Lord, My Friend. And Godspeed.

kd

Posted By: Seafire Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 03/31/14
Bulletbutt

Ken Maples, Aka Bulletbutt...

Heart attack at 63.... great guy...

I felt honored to have met him several times and share a meal with him...

Vietnam Vet and retired lineman for the power company...

Retired and he and his wife had just bought a piece of property and a small business that they were going to make into a retirement home for Veterans who didn't have much money in life.....

Hunter1960

Dink

Thanks. I am embarrassed in forgetting his handle. We exchanged a lot of great PMs.
Originally Posted by Seafire

Retired and he and his wife had just bought a piece of property and a small business that they were going to make into a retirement home for Veterans who didn't have much money in life.....

I was honored to know him and still miss his humor.
Posted By: gmsemel Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 03/31/14
Allen Day is another.
Posted By: LBP Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 03/31/14
Malm? Are you sure?
Posted By: Seafire Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 03/31/14

I was honored to know him and still miss his humor.

Scott,

His profile is still in the data base... don't know if you knew it or not, but he had his location listed as "between Scott F and Seafire"....

it also listed his last time on line as 3/11/14... that must be his widow still logging in and lurking....

we couldn't be so lucky as to have him still with us and just wanting to drop off the grid... I could live with that.. it would be just great to know he is still with us...

he died way too young...
Posted By: LBP Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 03/31/14
Malm died last year I can't believe I missed that somehow, he was a great guy and gunsmith. frown
Posted By: bhemry Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 03/31/14
Glad to see this thread. I miss Sanlen too. I remember Hunter1960 well, but was a little leary of him; must have just been his internet persona.
I feel a little guilty that I had so quickly forgotten about Monashee and the others. May they all Rest In Peace.
Out of respect for our brothers,this thread should get a sticky and stay that the top of the first page.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 03/31/14
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Out of respect for our brothers,this thread should get a sticky and stay that the top of the first page.

I suggested this to Rick a while back but nothing ever became of it.

Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 04/01/14
I pm'd rick when I started this thread about making it a sticky too. I hope he will do it.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 04/01/14

Hunter1960

Dink

He worked for an SO in Kentucky or Tennessee as I recall. He thought on a different frequency, no doubt about that. He claimed he worked for the 160th SOAR. We talked back channel and he knew the answers to the questions. RIP Nightstalker. kwg

Waking this thread to add our beloved Mickey Coleman.

We miss you Mickey!

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9433935/1

Posted By: Stan_in_SC Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 12/19/14
We lost Grizzly Bill last year.

Stan in SC
Posted By: sactoller Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 12/19/14
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I know there was a fine fella from Alaska that passed not that long ago, but do not recall his name. Anyone?

Wasn't that the other Muledeer?
Posted By: Foxbat Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 12/19/14
Originally Posted by kwg020

Hunter1960

Dink

He worked for an SO in Kentucky or Tennessee as I recall. He thought on a different frequency, no doubt about that. He claimed he worked for the 160th SOAR. We talked back channel and he knew the answers to the questions. RIP Nightstalker. kwg

Hunter1960 worked in Murfreesboro, Rutherford county TN, as I recall.

ShoMeWhitetails is another who passed away.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 12/19/14
Yes, Mickey.
Posted By: bearhuntr Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 12/19/14
Originally Posted by sactoller
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

Wasn't that the other Muledeer?

No, not our muledeer. Dennis is still fighting the good fight and is down south for Christmas.

If anyone would like to leave a note for Dennis, you can do so here:
http://www.whatmattersnow.org/visit/dennis-neill/updates

bhtr
Posted By: 4xbear Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 12/19/14
I do miss the PM's and phone calls with Sassy.

Adding a few names to our lost members thread. 2015 was a bit of a tough year. I'm ending it by raising a glass to the empty seats around the 'fire.

Rest in Peace, Brothers.

Ron_T
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10765264/1

WheelchairBandit
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Anyone_Heard_from_Wheelcha#Post10793680

Ken Howell
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10821599/1/Dr._Kenneth_Howell

Posted By: tbear99 Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 12/31/15
we lost some good people for sure.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 12/31/15
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox

Hunter1960

Dink

I got my first Campfire PM from Hunter1960. He was about three counties west of me.

He claimed to be a 160th SOAR member. He said the right things so I believe he probably was. He did have a different view of the world but a nice guy none the less.

kwg
Can't believe it took 4 pages for Mickey's name to be added. We just lost Dr. Ken Howell too.
Ron T left us this year also. He was as good a friend as a man could ever want.
Monashee too.

We should also take a second to remember some we added this year too. Northern Dave's boy Chickenbuck Joe comes to mind. Considering the genes he comes from, we picked up a good one there.

I sure do miss Sassy. Man, when Les was on here a lot, she sure kept him in check.

Among those who just left, there will never be another Hound Girl. If any of you guys are still in touch with her, tell her she's still remembered in these parts.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 12/31/15
Mu wife watches movie on TV constantly when she is home...

Turner Classics at the end of each year, play a little memorial to all of the celebrity and Hollywood people that we lost this past year, each year....

A lot of great people are being lost annually on that...

kinda wish we had something where we could have a wall with the pics of all the great guys that have gone to the Campfire in the Sky...

of course the most recent being Ken Howell...

makes me wonder when my time is coming...
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 12/31/15
My son, Chad, "High Brass". He's the one that put me onto the campfire.
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 12/31/15
Did Rancho Loco really die once or has he just quit posting?
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 12/31/15
Fellow 'Fire members;
Thanks for the thoughtful thread all.

My thoughts and prayers are with those who have been affected by a loss in the last year.

Though I was only just getting to know him, Burke Broadway - "simplyme" - here on the 'Fire passed in August this year.

All the best to you all in 2016.

Dwayne
Posted By: Idared Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 12/31/15
I really miss Michael Petrov and Mark Benenson aka "vigillinus" not only here but also at the Las Vegas gunshow.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 12/31/15
30_Caliber_Mag_Fan Mark Stark Dec 26th
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 12/31/15
41Keith - 2007

He was a close friend and you can't find one better!
Posted By: Waders Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 09/18/17
bea175 (Bob Anderson).
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 09/18/17
I haven't been on here very long , but I had come to enjoy BobinNH's posts, and still miss them.
nsaquam
grizzly bill
Posted By: hanco Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 09/18/17
Bob in NH was a great guy, miss his posts too.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 09/18/17
Originally Posted by hanco
BobinNH was a great guy, miss his posts too.

+1

Nasqam and I weren't exactly on the same page, politically, but he was a stand up guy. He was an active Troll hunter and would never back down.

Lots of good ones, gone.

DF
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 09/18/17
We lost RDFinn not too awful long ago too. He was a good guy too. Miss BobinNH for sure.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 09/18/17
Yep, should have mentioned RDFinn, too.

DF
Posted By: mrbman Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 09/19/17
Did BoggyCreekRanger pass?
I don't post often but sure enjoy the campfire.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 09/19/17

Hunter1960

Dink

Thanks. I am embarrassed in forgetting his handle. We exchanged a lot of great PMs.

As I recall he was a Sheriff's deputy in civilian life. He claimed he was a former member of the 160th SOAR at Ft. Campbell. I spoke with him via PM and he seemed to know all the right words and places on Ft. Campbell. I don't know what age he was when he passed but it wasn't near old enough.
kwg
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 09/19/17
Originally Posted by gophergunner

Indeed.
Posted By: boatboy Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 09/19/17
I will sure miss swaping Nov 15th and beyond pics with SSB
I miss his wisdom in loading scoping and playing with rifles

He was also a life long friend of Guy57

[Linked Image]
At Krysiaks Fat Tuesday Polka party about 9AM this year (2017) With Peggy

[Linked Image]

This is an older pic used on his mass card

2016 was his best deer season of his life
I am very happy about that he finally used his 660 Remington in 6.5 Remington and used it well

I have lost a lot of great friends he is sure one
Hank
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 09/19/17
Bigbuck 215, Ivan. A very likeable poster for sure!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12084133/bigbuck215#Post12084133
Posted By: Seafire Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 09/23/17
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Did Rancho Loco really die once or has he just quit posting?

Ironic, that this was posted by Ivan... but BigBuck215 passed away earlier this year....

ending a long roller coast ride with Cancer...

Many of the Quemado and Roosevelt Basin crowd miss Ivan a lot...

I know I sure do....

Also don't know if I ever had a chance to post another good campfire friend...

Ken Maples, with the Campfire handle of Bulletbutt... heart attack at 63 y/o took him away
from us...Vietnam Vet, he and his wife were in the process of opening an assisted living facility for veterans
who were down on their luck...
Posted By: Malloy805 Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 09/27/17
Miss Brian,Wheelchair Bandit. He would post a lot of good stuff on Fridays music threads.
Posted By: Gregdoo Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 09/30/17
Timberline (Bill Krenz) Timberline passes

Great guy, with lots of knowledge he was willing to share. He could write an ad that would sell used toilet paper. Here's an example, though unfortunately his excellent photos are no longer available: Tents for sale

His inquisitive mind, respectful manner, writing skills and great photos made every one of his posts a real pleasure to read: Mule Deer with M70
Posted By: schoolmarm Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 10/01/17

I was going thru some stuff in my reloading room and found some cast .35s that Mickey sent me and a bunch of .223 stuff that Eddy Bo sent me. Can't shoot them, gonna let them have a resting place on the shelf..
Posted By: hatari Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 10/11/17
Guys I enjoyed conversing with that are gone but not forgotten

Allen Day
Muledeer
Ken Howell
Mickey Coleman
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 10/19/17
Crossfireoops

Rest in Peace. The Fire no longer glows the same with your passing sir.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 10/22/17
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12339435/crossfireoops#Post12339435
Posted By: WeimGuy Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 11/07/17
Huntaoudad
Posted By: Trystan Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 11/19/17
The world is changing fast, the last of the best generation are slipping away. I just might move to the Alaska bush and live out my last 30 year's far away from the new degrading civilization. I raise my glass to the old timers.

Trystan
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 11/26/17
What was the handle of the old Vietnam veteran soldier grunt who was once a b common poster on the Fire?
Posted By: SNAP Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 12/06/17
The guys I miss most are Allen Day and BobinNH, would have enjoyed hosting both of them on a BC hunt if I were 30 years younger and such activities were legal here.

The other guy, still living is docdb, whom I would add as my fourth member in the above northern BC hunt.
Posted By: wink_man Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 12/24/17
I find it hard to believe that come March 28th it will be 4 years that Qtip is gone. I sure miss talking with him. Going to head upstate to see his cousin Ronnie in Hartwick and visit his grave in the spring.
Couple pics of Qtip (Bruce), doing what he loved best in his beloved New York State, a trout in an Adirondack lake and an 8 pointer taken right near home. Rest in peace Bruce, you are missed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: memtb Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 12/28/17
I don’t think so. It seems I saw a post from him a while back. His visits really “dropped-off” after we lost “need-one”! memtb
Posted By: Spud Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 01/20/18
George Stringer....a wealth of information re lathe work, esp chambering and barrel work and gun smithing in general. Helped me immensely. Just thinking about him the other day. He wasn't real active here but had his own g'smithing site and was on a host of other sites. A more decent person has not trod on this planet IMO. Passed on about 15 or so years ago. Only knew him via WWW.
God, it's all most hard to read this. So many good folks gone on to a far better place, but leaving us missing them so much. Rest in Peace good friends. We will rejoice together again some day.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 06/12/18
Found out today AggieDog passed away a year and a half back.

RIP Frank.
Posted By: DryPowder Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 07/24/18
For me, its muledeer, he's the reason I finally signed up. Back when I was a part time lurker, Dennis was the guy I liked the best and the reason I bought a 338 RCMgrin
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 09/14/18
Originally Posted by Higbean
Found out today AggieDog passed away a year and a half back.

RIP Frank.

Just saw this. Sure didn't know that he passed.

DMB, Don, died a few years back.
Elkslayer in Wyoming
Jim the Plumber died last December.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 09/19/18
Originally Posted by gmsemel
Allen Day is another.

Yes, Allen Day was strong in his speak.. I miss him.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 09/22/18
General Stuart, I believe his handle was.

Had a brain injury of some kind. Had a wild tale of cross state pursuits in a stolen ambulance. Big S&W guy.
Posted By: 65BR Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 10/11/18
Re: Jim the Plumber, like so many others, another good one and too young.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY2fSDnVgkM
Posted By: JPro Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 10/11/18
I didn't know about Jim. He was always a great presence here.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 10/11/18
Originally Posted by 65BR
Re: Jim the Plumber, like so many others, another good one and too young.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY2fSDnVgkM

Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 10/21/18
Very cool obituary
Posted By: 65BR Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 10/23/18
Heard from a fella who was good friends with Jim,

Said his last day was spent with friends shooting Frozen Water Falls with his 50 BMG, from his boat....
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 10/23/18
Rest in Peace Jim - you'll not be forgotten .

Posted By: 12344mag Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 11/02/18
I believe it's been 1 year since we have been able to talk with Cross.

Sure do miss that guy.
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

....no fences

lotsa' game and fish,

they coulda' done worse.

GTC

The same to you brother. Cheers NC
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 01/05/19

Brother Chuck..........AKA '223' here on the Fire.......

Passed away 12/2/2018 in Greensburg Pa

couple pics.......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 01/10/19
Bummer Tikka...

Glad he got a face full of goodness though.
Posted By: wink_man Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 03/28/19
5 years ago today, March 28th, 2014, Bruce Edward Clegg, better known as Qtip here on 24 Hour, passed on after a brief illness.

Hard to believe he's been gone that long. Rest in peace my friend till we get to catch up somewhere further down the road.

A few pics of Qtip doing what he loved best, where he loved best.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 04/30/19

RDFINN
BOBINNH
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 05/30/19

THOMASMAGNUM - May 29, 2019
Posted By: Seafire Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 05/30/19
Originally Posted by BC30cal

THOMASMAGNUM - May 29, 2019

RIP Tom....

just damn! you went way too early my friend....

there will be many of us who will miss you and your personality greatly...
You will be missed buddy.
Posted By: achadwick Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 06/06/19
RIP, Thomas.
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 10/08/19
Malm did some work for me
Big Jay too, ugh
https://alaska-native-news.com/cordova-man-suffers-fatal-fall-while-goat-hunting-in-wells-bay/6218/
Posted By: wageslave Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 11/21/19
WillARights

He will be missed.
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 11/30/19
Originally Posted by wageslave
WillARights

He will be missed.

Indeed he will. May he rest in peace.

Lynn
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 12/11/19
It's been five years since Mickey Coleman's passing and four years since Ken Howell's passing.
I still greatly miss both of them. I can imagine the two of them sitting around, discussing everything from guns to birds.

Ed
The fire does not burn as bright with them gone.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 12/12/19
Rest in Peace Fieldgrade/Charlie.

You will be missed!
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 12/15/19
Originally Posted by Lonny
Rest in Peace Fieldgrade/Charlie.

You will be missed!

Remembering Birds Benson this evening! And his pups.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 12/23/19
I just found this thead after sending Charlie a PM.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 12/23/19
And now in catching up, I learned that Jim the Plumber has passed! What crappy news to end to a cold day.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 01/27/20
Got to looking through some pics and found this one from last spring.

This was me an Charlie/Fieldgrade shooting ground squirrels.

Good times for sure. Appreciate them when you have them.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Timberlake Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 01/28/20
Mu wife watches movie on TV constantly when she is home...........

.....makes me wonder when my time is coming...

Never wonder........just be prepared.

TL
Posted By: Anjin Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 07/08/20
Originally Posted by CCCC
Yes, Mickey.

Folks, I've been quiet for that past couple of months here, but I surely miss our get-togethers at Paul's In Armijo Springs south of Quemado. I see that Paul still says he's from New Mexico High Country!

Sadly, I think I just missed Ken Howell at his last visit and my first one there.

My being offline is due to that fact that on April 28, I had to enter UNM Hospital with a mild stroke. At age 80 now, I was surprised to learn from the MRI tests that I had already had two others! They must have been recent, as I had an MRI exam in the last couple of years for back problems that didn't show any.

Not happy about this, but the prognosis is optimistic. It better be, because my youngest girl Mary, whom those at Armijo have met, is not quite 12 and going into sixth grade. At least I've taken one elk thus far. Now I'm training my son to take the next one (we shoot at the nearby Founders Ranch in Edgewood, NM, where the annual SASS End of Trail is usually held, though not this year. Then, hopefully, Mary can be next.

Also, hopefully, we all will be around to get together again soon.

Norm
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 07/11/20
Norm,

Hope you are recovering quickly with images of your next elk hunt flooding your grey. And, best of luck to your son and daughter in their upcoming hunts.

Just lost my cousin a couple days ago. He was like the big brother I never had. Stings.

Best to you and your family.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 07/11/20
Norm,

just reading this.... sorry to hear of this...

I am sure I speak for the Quemado Crowd, when I say that your good health is in our prayers...
along with the well being of your lovely wife and children...

Peace be with you and yours..

cheers and best regards....
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 07/24/20
Originally Posted by JGRaider
We lost RDFinn not too awful long ago too. He was a good guy too. Miss BobinNH for sure.

Originally Posted by whipholt_wahoo
nsaquam

Three here are missed, two I just learned of today. RIP Brothers.
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 08/09/20
It is with great sadness I post this:

https://www.tributearchive.com/obituaries/17483407/David-Lee-Hooper

David Lee Hooper

June 4, 1957 - July 16, 2020

Obituary

David Lee Hooper, 63, of Greenville, SC, after a valiant battle with cancer, peacefully passed away Thursday, July 16, 2020, surrounded by his loving family. David was known for his charisma and kindness, his love for his family and friends, and his love of life. He was a man of deep faith and charity who loved cooking, hunting, fishing, and sports.

David attended Wade Hampton High School and The Baptist College of Charleston. After college, he had an impressive career in Information Technology (IT) that spanned more than 4 decades and allowed him to live in various cities before settling in Reston, VA, and eventually back to his beloved hometown of Greenville.

The early years of David's career in IT were in the developing stages of personal computing and business computing technology with the emerging Microsoft Corp. and Altos Computers Systems among other technology pioneers. As the internet was born, David worked with some of the companies that developed machine learning and artificial intelligence technologies that would further raise computing and communications capabilities to the next level. For close to three decades, David was a significant contributor to the growth of IBM's presence in the ever-evolving Cybersecurity Threat Protection market, as the IBM Alliance Director for North America - IBM Cybersecurity Division.

David was an expert in many areas including sales and business development, creating and developing Global Business Alliances, and opening new markets with early-stage technology that changed the way business was conducted. He was considered an exceptional business leader who inspired his employees, co-workers, and customers, and found it rewarding to provide his skills as a consultant to place top quality candidates with companies.

Although helping new technology companies in emerging markets was exciting for David, he had other passions that he turned into entrepreneurial business ventures as well. His strongest passion was for cooking great food and feeding others; accordingly, he opened the Corporate Deli and Corporate Services.

David is survived by his parents, Bob and Kay Hooper; sisters, Debbie Breedin, and Rebecca McMullen; brother, Robert Hooper; niece, Ashton Reese; nephews, Dixon Breedin, Miles McMullen, Miller McMullen, Colby McCall, Trey Lewis, and Logan Hooper; and great nephews, Hollis Reese, Wells Reese, and Charlie Lewis. David was predeceased by his paternal grandparents Mr. and Mrs. Robert Hooper and Mr. and Mrs. Weldon Guffey of Asheville, NC.

Due to COVID restrictions, a private family service will be held.

In lieu of flowers, please send donations to St. Jude's Children’s Research Hospital, 501 St. Jude Place, Memphis, TN, 38105; Mercy Chefs, 711 Washington St., Portsmouth, VA, 23704; or the Samaritan’s Purse, PO Box 3000, Boone NC 28607.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 08/10/20
RIP David !

I'm very, very sad, but glad no longer in pain & at peace.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 08/12/20
RIP BYC, he was one of the good ones.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 09/15/20
Suddenly, and sadly, we are saying farewell to a fine man who became dear to us through the Campfire and especially through experiences shared with him during our gatherings of the SW Campfire gang at Armijo Springs NM, Tonto Basin AZ and more recently up on the AZ Rim. Dr. Bennett Brown - Ben/mudhen in our lives - brought us much wisdom, knowledge, soft-spoken thoughtfulness, a gentle and helpful spirit, and excellent hunting and shooting experience. Our respect and fondness for Ben has been deep and well-deserved on his part. Vaya con Dios, Ben - we will miss you immensely.
Well said, Paul.
Lest We Forget
Posted By: cv540 Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 09/19/20

....no fences

lotsa' game and fish,

they coulda' done worse.

GTC

Always thought this was about as well said as could be. May his thoughts apply to himself and all the others
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 09/30/20
Originally Posted by cv540

....no fences

lotsa' game and fish,

they coulda' done worse.

GTC

Always thought this was about as well said as could be. May his thoughts apply to himself and all the others

+1 You can feel the peace in those words
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 10/13/20
I just noticed this and thought I'd add Freedumb1. It's been a couple years now but he was a great friend and hunting buddy and I got the news from his wife while out deer hunting so I think of him even more this time of year. He was a funny and loyal friend and father and was an incredible resource and collector of Savage 99 and Ruger No 1 rifles. He's definitely missed.....
Posted By: 1moredeer Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 11/08/20
Long time fire member GonHuntin passed away in March after a hard fought 5 year battle with cancer. Mark was my younger brother. We grew up hunting and fishing with our Dad. We all met up ever year for Oklahoma black powder season and spent the week camping and hunting and fishing. This morning was opening day of rifle season here in Texas. It was a short walk to the stand but it took awhile to find my way with tears in my eyes. It was the first opening morning without both of them. The walk out was even harder knowing there would be no phone call this evening to talk about the days events. Rest In Peace brother, enjoy hunting and fishing with Dad and Grandpa and I’ll catch up in a little while.

Doug
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 11/12/20
Originally Posted by 1moredeer
Long time fire member GonHuntin passed away in March after a hard fought 5 year battle with cancer. Mark was my younger brother. We grew up hunting and fishing with our Dad. We all met up ever year for Oklahoma black powder season and spent the week camping and hunting and fishing. This morning was opening day of rifle season here in Texas. It was a short walk to the stand but it took awhile to find my way with tears in my eyes. It was the first opening morning without both of them. The walk out was even harder knowing there would be no phone call this evening to talk about the days events. Rest In Peace brother, enjoy hunting and fishing with Dad and Grandpa and I’ll catch up in a little while.

Doug

Nicely said, Doug.

😎
Posted By: Seafire Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 11/19/20
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Doug

Nicely said, Doug.

😎

+ one more....

The day will sadly come for each of us....

Gotta tear in my eye for some reason... I think it was that last line that must of had a little dust in it...

Peace be with you Doug...

Doug

Condolences Doug. Your pop got it right.
Posted By: kingfisher Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 11/25/20
Just think how many have passed that have no other contacts with members, other than posting. Those losses go UN-noticed due the new computer world.

When I die I have no one to come one here and say I am pushing up daisies.
Brownbearhunter was Jim Waggett, my guide on my first hunting trip to AK for Dall sheep. He was an assistant guide then, working for Ed Stevenson's outfit. Jim worked very hard to get me a good shot on a very good mature ram. A long shot in adverse weather and a tough recovery cemented a friendship.

We stayed in touch and I eventually found out that he died on Christmas Day 2016. I'm delayed in posting because life sometimes throws us unexpected curve balls. He was a good man and is missed by his friends and those who hunted with him. I was fortunate to get the 6.5-284 I used to shoot that ram back from Jim before he passed. I remember that trip every time I use that rifle. It delivers every time.

Godspeed Jim. RIP brother.
Just found out yesterday about the passing of Roger Biesen one of the classic gunmakers of our time.

I had the privilege of meeting Al, Roger and Paula when my wife and I visited the shop in Spokane. Ironically the rifle Al is holding is a Bob Owen Springfield Roger repaired for me.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This resulted in a couple of fine rifles by Roger, communication and visits through the years, and a lasting memory of 2 gunmakers who led the way in Classical American Rifle wood-and-blue-steel functional artistry. One of these rifles is a 404 Jeffery, which I finally decided will take a trip to Africa, as I promised Roger it would.

A real loss. RIP Roger. You and your work will be missed.
Posted By: wink_man Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 02/25/21
Thinking of Mudhen (Ben Brown) tonight as I go through some of my stuff and getting together the brass I got from him that I'll work up a load for this spring.

Miss the avatar, miss his posts and the knowledge to be gleaned from him. it was always a pleasure reading his posts.

He was indeed a gentleman and all around great guy.

Rest in peace Sir with the rest of the good guys that have left way to soon.
Posted By: Anjin Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 03/11/21
Originally Posted by wink_man
Thinking of Mudhen (Ben Brown) tonight as I go through some of my stuff and getting together the brass I got from him that I'll work up a load for this spring.

Miss the avatar, miss his posts and the knowledge to be gleaned from him. it was always a pleasure reading his posts.

Awfully sorry to learn about Ben, as his company over the recent few years at Armijo Springs was very much appreciated. His stories about his elk hunting and his experiences living so close to the border really impressed me so much.

Frankly, while I have been in Mexico many times for work, that has been a while ago and while today living in NM and knowing many great people here of Hispanic descent, it was terribly useful to get the first hand reports from folks such as Ben and Blue over in South Texas, as well as several others whose opinions and information I respect.

Even my oldest son now living in Singapore has a totally false impression from watching the mainstream media reports about the border situation. There is so much false narrative being spread to further political agenda, and believe me, international news largely never expresses a counter-narrative.

Norm
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 03/11/21
Can't see the first hummingbirds come in without thinking of Mickey Coleman.

He was sure a great guy, and is missed.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 03/12/21
Same here Barry, but it will be another month and a half before I get to see one here!
Posted By: HeavyMetal Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 05/07/21
Prayers for family and friends,
Hillbillybear was a good guy.
https://www.ashelawn.com/obituary/Joseph-Parsons
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 05/08/21
May he rest in peace/
Posted By: hatari Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 05/25/21
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Can't see the first hummingbirds come in without thinking of Mickey Coleman.

He was sure a great guy, and is missed.

Me too. Put up feeders because of his enthusiasm for the little guys
Posted By: hatari Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 05/25/21
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal
Prayers for family and friends,
Hillbillybear was a good guy.
https://www.ashelawn.com/obituary/Joseph-Parsons

Gone far too soon.
Ethan Edwards (my good friend, Mark) passed away in his own bed, at home, in his sleep, and on his own terms, in Moran, Kansas. His death was discovered on the morning of September 10th by family. He had been suffering the effects of COVID-19 since about the 3rd of September, and was determined to rough it out on his own. His last message to me was on the 6th, wherein he expressed that symptoms were bad, but that he felt confident he'd make it. He didn't respond to further messages from me after that, which caused me and others here great concern.

Years ago, he had given me his phone number, but I had misplaced it, so I researched it, based on what I knew, found it, and called to discover this terrible news from his daughter.

He was a close friend of mine, and we had maintained a fairly constant course of communication and discussion at the Fire for at least ten years via PMs. He was a real America-loving patriot, a solid Christian, a farmer, a family man, and a local school board member, survived by his wife Jenny (a school teacher), his daughter Sarah (a college student with aspirations of becoming a veterinarian), and his son Jeff (a high school student). He was quite proud of his two kids, and spoke glowingly of them to me often. He and his wife and kids were all very close.

He loved firearms as a hobby, with a particular interest in antique firearms of the Old West. He possessed a wealth of knowledge about them, along with other firearms, and was happy to benefit others with his knowledge here at the Fire. He knew a lot, in fact, about a surprisingly wide range of topics. He was also an old movie buff, particularly regarding Westerns. In fact, one of the last conversations we had was about an upcoming Western-themed movie we were both looking forward to, titled Old Henry.

He was 60 when he passed. He will be greatly missed by me, and many members here.

As soon as I get permission from his daughter to relate more specifics about him, I will do so. I have a message in to her regarding this, and am waiting for a response.
May He Rest in Peace!

You are Blessed to Have known Him!
As You Realize!

I didn't know him, but have heard similar great words of him!
We need more like Him!!!

God Bless!
Thanks to a suggestion by Elkslayer91, I have found some information about Ethan Edwards by calling the school district where he was a board member. The school office told me that his wife is scheduled to get out of the hospital tomorrow. That's wonderful news.

Ethan Edwards' name was Mark. Please PM me for his last name, if you have need of it. PM also for funeral home and florist nearby.
JMSSI, A good friend. I will miss him.
Posted By: RAS Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 12/19/21
I don’t know if someone mentioned him already but I talked to WheelChairBandit on the phone a few times. He was a young man with a dreaded illness. He knew that it would take him to the Lord sooner than he had wanted but it didn’t let him stop pursuing his interests. He received a lot of grief but I respected him.
Posted By: Axelrod59 Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 12/22/21
Thanks
T
H
A
N
K
S
Posted By: Westman Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 12/25/21
Originally Posted by RAS
I don’t know if someone mentioned him already but I talked to WheelChairBandit on the phone a few times. He was a young man with a dreaded illness. He knew that it would take him to the Lord sooner than he had wanted but it didn’t let him stop pursuing his interests. He received a lot of grief but I respected him.

RAS, I agree. He seemed like a very nice person and I did like reading his posts. Nice of you to post that.
Posted By: Violator22 Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 01/10/22
Dammit, I have been gone too long, was scrolling thru the list and seen so many names, but the one that broke me down was DvdGeorge adding my Mom's name(Sassy), know it was long ago. So many folks that I had great conversation on the phone and actually had the chance to meet in person. Think I am just going to go have a few drinks now. Dammit All!
Originally Posted by Violator22
Dammit, I have been gone too long, was scrolling thru the list and seen so many names, but the one that broke me down was DvdGeorge adding my Mom's name(Sassy), know it was long ago. So many folks that I had great conversation on the phone and actually had the chance to meet in person. Think I am just going to go have a few drinks now. Dammit All!

Good to hear from you Les…
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 02/01/22
I'm adding 2Legit2Quit, a good man that loved his family and adored his wife, he will be deeply missed.

RIP Randy.
Posted By: BOBBALEE Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 02/26/22
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I'm adding 2Legit2Quit, a good man that loved his family and adored his wife, he will be deeply missed.

RIP Randy.

I always liked him. Condolences to the family.

RIP Randy.

Damn, missed that, had no idea. RIP.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 04/13/22
Gus.

Miss Lynn got ran off.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 05/17/22
Longhunter1 Ron LaClair passed away on may 8, he was a Longbow World Champion, he loved his Savage 99s also owned and shot Winchester 1895s a huge muzzloading Fan Ron dressed and hunted with Antique weapons! He was 86, said he had been hunting turkeys at his farm and passed away there! RIP Friend!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 05/28/22
OIDabble, Jim Olson from Big Falls, Minnesota.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 07/03/22
Dopey - Survived by six brothers.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 07/27/22
Anyone know about Gus?
Posted By: 87ninjas Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 08/12/22
BayouRover. June 17, 2022.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 08/12/22
Originally Posted by 87ninjas

No kidding?

RIP.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 08/12/22
Godspeed BR. A spitfire but a contributor none the less.
Posted By: OlderGuy54 Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 08/27/22
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

No kidding?

RIP.

Really?
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Anyone know about Gus?

He’s on a space trip with “The High Priests of NASA” 😜 🤪🤣
Posted By: 87ninjas Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 08/27/22
Originally Posted by OlderGuy54

No kidding?

RIP.

Really?
Yes, I'm his oldest son.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 09/15/22
jwall > Has passed.

I received this note from his wife. Truly sad.

this is Jerry Wallaces wife i know he was on the site a lot and saw your name in his friends list Just wanted to let you know he passed away 8/28/22 funeral was 9/1/22 He really enjoyed being on here.

It always seems like we check out way too soon.

Praying for the family.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 09/16/22
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
jwall > Has passed.

this is Jerry Wallaces wife i know he was on the site a lot and saw your name in his friends list Just wanted to let you know he passed away 8/28/22 funeral was 9/1/22 He really enjoyed being on here.

Praying for the family.

So sad, Jerry/jwall was a great guy, talked to him some when I was planning on moving to Arkansas.

Rest in peace Jerry, we'll miss you here on the Fire'.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 09/16/22
Originally Posted by jackmountain

RIP Randy.

Damn, missed that, had no idea. RIP.

Same here, I have pondered where or why he hasn't posted in a while.

Rest in peace 2legit2quit.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 09/20/22
Originally Posted by ol_mike
jwall > Has passed.

Praying for the family.

So sad, Jerry/jwall was a great guy, talked to him some when I was planning on moving to Arkansas.

Yes, I agree; he was a really nice guy when I had chance to talk with him. I felt he was one of the good guys.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 10/08/22
Originally Posted by OlderGuy54

No kidding?

RIP.

Really?
Yes, I'm his oldest son.

My condolences, Sorry you lost your Dad.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 10/21/22
Rest in peace BayouRover.

Condolences to all.
Posted By: 87ninjas Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 10/22/22
Originally Posted by 12344mag
My condolences, Sorry you lost your Dad.

Rest in peace BayouRover.

Condolences to all.

Thanks ya'll.
Posted By: ilikguns Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 10/27/22
RIP doctor Encore

Greg was a stand guy. Willing to help out anybody with anything. Spent a lot of his free time passing on his hunting and fishing knowledge on to the local Boy Scouts. Our conversations always ended with him bragging about his kids and grandkids enjoying the outdoors with him. He will be missed!
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 11/06/22
Rip Doc Encore 🙏🏻
Posted By: Seafire Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 11/23/22

Rest in Peace Bayou... you were a darn good man!
jwall > Has passed.

Praying for the family.

Rest in Peace Jerry. Hardly ever look at this thread...

Just one page back and see that two great guys have left the building and are no longer among us.

Jerry thanks for your inputs and thoughts over the years...

been here since 2004, so I guess that is now 18 years....

We've lost a lot of good people over those 18 years....

Go with God Jerry, will see ya upstairs when we get there... ( with a little luck, lol)
Originally Posted by ilikguns
RIP doctor Encore

Greg was a stand guy. Willing to help out anybody with anything. Spent a lot of his free time passing on his hunting and fishing knowledge on to the local Boy Scouts. Our conversations always ended with him bragging about his kids and grandkids enjoying the outdoors with him. He will be missed!

Yeah, I knew about the loss of Greg. Meet him several times on my trips back home to Virginia.
That was a gut punch.... We also talked a lot about Scouts, as I am involved with them here in Oregon. and our sons.
Greg was an inspiration in a lot of ways, on a lot of topics.

RIP Greg... you will be sorely missed at my campfire my friend.

best regards... and will see ya again, if I manage to make it up there...

Got to see and spend time with Ben at our last campfire get together about 6 weeks or so before he passed. He looked frail, and his daughter let me know his time was short. I had a talk with Ben, and sort told him how much I always had a lot of respect for him, how much I appreciated his time, his wisdom, and how I looked at him as a beacon of light. He told me he never knew that, and had tears in his eyes as he took my hand and said thank you.

Those of us who knew Ben, were blessed to know such a humble but great man...
Just got through looking at this whole list, and there were lots of names that I missed when they were added. Lots of good friends on this list that I have shared campfires and time talking with in person, and lots of names that I only talked to here, but they were still good friends. I will add a name this I did not see, but might have missed.

Leonard Barr-can't remember his internet name offhand but it might have been Labarr. Shared several campfires with Him and His Brother Patrick. He was a good man that I will miss talking to. miles
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 11/23/22

Got to see and spend time with Ben at our last campfire get together about 6 weeks or so before he passed. He looked frail, and his daughter let me know his time was short. I had a talk with Ben, and sort told him how much I always had a lot of respect for him, how much I appreciated his time, his wisdom, and how I looked at him as a beacon of light. He told me he never knew that, and had tears in his eyes as he took my hand and said thank you.

Those of us who knew Ben, were blessed to know such a humble but great man...

Ben was a good man. I knew of his passing and felt his loss like I felt others who brought something special to our Campfire.

🦫
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 11/24/22
Originally Posted by Mac84
Rip Doc Encore 🙏🏻

Greg

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Jcubed Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 11/25/22

....no fences

lotsa' game and fish,

they coulda' done worse.

GTC

I hope so cross.
Posted By: krp Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 11/27/22
Originally Posted by milespatton
Just got through looking at this whole list, and there were lots of names that I missed when they were added. Lots of good friends on this list that I have shared campfires and time talking with in person, and lots of names that I only talked to here, but they were still good friends. I will add a name this I did not see, but might have missed.

Leonard Barr-can't remember his internet name offhand but it might have been Labarr. Shared several campfires with Him and His Brother Patrick. He was a good man that I will miss talking to. miles

I had no idea Leonard passed, remember he made Cheryl and I some burgers when we got to camp last time I saw him. I'm sorry for Patrick and his family's loss.

Kent
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 12/15/22
Jim Olson, oidabble on the forum, on the right, Jim's son from Florida died before Jim.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 12/18/22
All;
We just received word that Boggy Creek Ranger - James C Nash passed on December 5th in a traffic accident.

Rest in peace sir.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/17916049#Post17916049
Indeed, sorry to hear. He was a true gentleman and will be missed.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 01/10/23
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by milespatton

I had no idea Leonard passed, remember he made Cheryl and I some burgers when we got to camp last time I saw him. I'm sorry for Patrick and his family's loss.

Kent

Kent, Miles, thank you for posting this. My brother did not post often, but he really enjoyed the gatherings and visiting with you folks.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 01/21/23
Bob Farese, BobinNH.

What a wonderful man. Always willing to share information, answer questions, provide comments, or just swap lies
Posted By: Seafire Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 03/09/23
RIP doctor Encore

Yeah, I knew about the loss of Greg. Meet him several times on my trips back home to Virginia.
That was a gut punch.... We also talked a lot about Scouts, as I am involved with them here in Oregon. and our sons.

For some reason, wide awake at 4 AM this morning.. guess because I have one hell of a busy schedule over the next 72 hours. Just the last three pages, I have re seen names of folks I have known and interacted with over a long time here on the fire...

Just reading of Greg, Doc Encore.. Just a little example of some of the people I have known here is exemplified with Greg as an example and representative of the type of people I've known on the campfire.

Back in 2010, My son wanted to attend the 100th Anniversary of Boy Scouts National Camporee. Our council here in Oregon the price for that to attend, was about $3500. My son didn't want us to pay for that, but knew at 16 he could never come up with the money. So I bought up the suggestion about why not apply to go as Camp Staff, and suggested the rifle range.
He applied and was shocked when he was accepted. I think the cost was $400.00 and he had to pay his ticket there and back. Mom and Dad took care of that.

The cheapest ticket we could get was to fly him out of Seattle to Baltimore. He was to fly out at 10 PM, and it is a 500 mile one way trip from home to Seattle... So I drove him up there... We got stuck in Portland for 3 plus hours in traffic at the end of day rush hour. Then get him to the SeaTac Airport...The lines to get your ticket and then getting thru air port security, was slower than mud, and no one on staff at the Airport really gave a crap... I stayed with my son until he got thru Airport Security. I left him at 11 PM. to head 500 miles home.

I had stopped at a Rest Area on took a nap. I got a call from him and he had been bumped off his flight because they had over booked it. He is busy freaking out, as this is a totally new experience for him and he's alone not knowing what to do..
I have no way of to contact family back in Virginia that had promise to pick him up at the airport and then drive him down to Camp A.P. Hill in Virginia, near where they live.

Greg and I had never met, but I had his number and he told me to call him when ever I might need his help on ANYTHING.
Well I was up "[bleep] without a paddle" and had a freaked out son 100 miles away at SeaTac over night. They had told him they would get him on the next flight out. I called Greg at 4 AM east coast time, and surprised he even answered his phone. I told him my situation. He instantly told me he would pick him up in Baltimore and get him the 75 miles down to Camp A.P. Hill To call my son and give him Greg's number and Greg would meet him at the gate the flight number was scheduled to be at.

I called my son back at told him I had arranged someone to pick him up, when ever he got in to Baltimore Airport. Gave him Greg's number. My son was bumped off the next FOUR overbooked flights. When he finally got airborne, I called Greg back and gave him the flight info. He drove 60 miles to pick up my son, then took him down to my relatives home in Virginia, as the camp was not yet open for the Jamboree...

When it was time for my son to fly home, my relatives called me and told me they had some sort of emergency and couldn't take Jonathan back to Baltimore Airport for him to fly home....my own darn family.... I called Greg and told him of the situation this time.... The Gentlemen tells me he is glad I called him. He went down and picked up my son, brought him to his home and then took him to the Airport in Baltimore for his flight home....

I use this as an example to not only show what a gentleman Greg was... We had never met at that point, but we had conversed over PMs for several years... Scouting involvement as a common basis...But Greg is a perfect example of the quality of folks I have met and gotten to know on the campfire over the 19 years I've been on this web site.

it was a blessing to know the many folks, who are the types shown exactly like Greg's example... as I read the names on this entire thread of folks who have passed before us. Even if they were someone I didn't know, I am sure they are an example of the folks I have been blessed with to be able to know...

Plenty of arguments and slander on these threads any more at the campfire is typical. But when push comes to shove and a member is in need of help, there is never a shortage of someone willing to help out with no limits. Even times like this.

To Greg and ALL the campfire members I've been blessed to know and meet in my travels and time here, each of us are truly blessed to have the bonds we develop here, with despite all their faults, are the best folks many of us have ever known.

to the folks who I have known who are no longer here, and to those that are still with us. I thank each of you for your friendship, and the blessings of having known all I have ever met....

Cheers and God Bless...
john chr. / seafire.
Posted By: 65BR Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 04/30/23
Great post John.

We can only hope the future will have new generations with the qualities of many fine folks here. Our country was built by folks who had these character traits.

Sad to see the loss of many fine long term members.

I am sure they are in a better place. God Bless.
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 05/08/23
I was just going through my contacs and saw "Doc Encore" and thought I hadnt talked to Greg in a while. Im deeply saddened by this news. Before 7X57Steve passed 6-7 of us met for lunch on Sundays at Barley and Hopps. Greg made several of those lunches. RIP old buddy.
Posted By: Owl Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 06/11/23

THOMASMAGNUM - Birthday was today. Sure miss him.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 06/11/23
Owl, Me to----Rio7
Posted By: skeen Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 06/11/23
RIP doctor Encore

For some reason, wide awake at 4 AM this morning.. guess because I have one hell of a busy schedule over the next 72 hours. Just the last three pages, I have re seen names of folks I have known and interacted with over a long time here on the fire...

Just reading of Greg, Doc Encore.. Just a little example of some of the people I have known here is exemplified with Greg as an example and representative of the type of people I've known on the campfire.

Back in 2010, My son wanted to attend the 100th Anniversary of Boy Scouts National Camporee. Our council here in Oregon the price for that to attend, was about $3500. My son didn't want us to pay for that, but knew at 16 he could never come up with the money. So I bought up the suggestion about why not apply to go as Camp Staff, and suggested the rifle range.
He applied and was shocked when he was accepted. I think the cost was $400.00 and he had to pay his ticket there and back. Mom and Dad took care of that.

The cheapest ticket we could get was to fly him out of Seattle to Baltimore. He was to fly out at 10 PM, and it is a 500 mile one way trip from home to Seattle... So I drove him up there... We got stuck in Portland for 3 plus hours in traffic at the end of day rush hour. Then get him to the SeaTac Airport...The lines to get your ticket and then getting thru air port security, was slower than mud, and no one on staff at the Airport really gave a crap... I stayed with my son until he got thru Airport Security. I left him at 11 PM. to head 500 miles home.

I had stopped at a Rest Area on took a nap. I got a call from him and he had been bumped off his flight because they had over booked it. He is busy freaking out, as this is a totally new experience for him and he's alone not knowing what to do..
I have no way of to contact family back in Virginia that had promise to pick him up at the airport and then drive him down to Camp A.P. Hill in Virginia, near where they live.

Greg and I had never met, but I had his number and he told me to call him when ever I might need his help on ANYTHING.
Well I was up "[bleep] without a paddle" and had a freaked out son 100 miles away at SeaTac over night. They had told him they would get him on the next flight out. I called Greg at 4 AM east coast time, and surprised he even answered his phone. I told him my situation. He instantly told me he would pick him up in Baltimore and get him the 75 miles down to Camp A.P. Hill To call my son and give him Greg's number and Greg would meet him at the gate the flight number was scheduled to be at.

I called my son back at told him I had arranged someone to pick him up, when ever he got in to Baltimore Airport. Gave him Greg's number. My son was bumped off the next FOUR overbooked flights. When he finally got airborne, I called Greg back and gave him the flight info. He drove 60 miles to pick up my son, then took him down to my relatives home in Virginia, as the camp was not yet open for the Jamboree...

When it was time for my son to fly home, my relatives called me and told me they had some sort of emergency and couldn't take Jonathan back to Baltimore Airport for him to fly home....my own darn family.... I called Greg and told him of the situation this time.... The Gentlemen tells me he is glad I called him. He went down and picked up my son, brought him to his home and then took him to the Airport in Baltimore for his flight home....

I use this as an example to not only show what a gentleman Greg was... We had never met at that point, but we had conversed over PMs for several years... Scouting involvement as a common basis...But Greg is a perfect example of the quality of folks I have met and gotten to know on the campfire over the 19 years I've been on this web site.

it was a blessing to know the many folks, who are the types shown exactly like Greg's example... as I read the names on this entire thread of folks who have passed before us. Even if they were someone I didn't know, I am sure they are an example of the folks I have been blessed with to be able to know...

Plenty of arguments and slander on these threads any more at the campfire is typical. But when push comes to shove and a member is in need of help, there is never a shortage of someone willing to help out with no limits. Even times like this.

To Greg and ALL the campfire members I've been blessed to know and meet in my travels and time here, each of us are truly blessed to have the bonds we develop here, with despite all their faults, are the best folks many of us have ever known.

to the folks who I have known who are no longer here, and to those that are still with us. I thank each of you for your friendship, and the blessings of having known all I have ever met....

Cheers and God Bless...
john chr. / seafire.

Wow, Greg was a real stand-up Gentleman. RIP, Sir.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 06/13/23
I haven't been on here in a long time and am saddened by these announcements. I talked to all of these guys. I do miss Ben and Thomas as I knew them well.
RIP Brothers
Posted By: Rapier Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 06/15/23
This year has been a turn onto reality lane. Mugs Tyler from AK and then moved to AZ passed, a great cast bullet competition shooter and Chuck Bebout, the four time Florida four gun aggregate champion passed. Chuck was a victim of water contamination on a military base and Mugs had a long term illness, we shot in many matches together, about a dozen International Championships. You would look around and there they were, best bring your lunch, they came to shoot, great guys for info and help.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 06/29/23
The Campfire is a place I have made a lot of friends, I would have otherwise never met. Been here since 2004.

There are a lot of those friends who have passed and gone before us.

I've been blessed with EVERY Campfire member I have had the pleasure to know...

Eventually it is each every one of our turns to take our place climbing the stairs to heaven and the beyond.

Hopefully it is where we will meet our friends once again... Something to look forward to I gather...

Glad they are not here to witness what the DNCC is turning this nation into....as our freedoms ( blessings from our creator) are slow erased one by one...

I'm glad to be closer to the finish line, that it being far into my future.

God Bless the USA we've all known most of our lives.... how long will it still be here?
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 07/04/23
Captain Jeff Rogers of Kona, HI. passed away suddenly Mid-December of 2022.

I noticed his post had stopped and researched his name.

Rest in Peace Jeff.
Posted By: hanco Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 07/25/23
Mike Smith-Hasbeen1945 passed away about two weeks ago. He was as good of a man as I had ever met. Hunted, fished, family man, married over 50 yrs.
Posted By: Jahrs Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 08/22/23
What a story and a testament to Greg. I bought a Marlin 336 A-DL from him back in 2015. I could tell , from the few conversations we had had, that he was a stand-up guy but this story really blows me away about his character. Thanks for posting Seafire. RIP brother Greg

RIP doctor Encore

Cheers and God Bless...
john chr. / seafire.
Posted By: DavePrice Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 09/03/23
Just heard John Petrello passed away yesterday. Went by John P on the campfire.
RIP CWO Petrello!
Posted By: DavePrice Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 09/09/23
John's obituary
Posted By: BTDT Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 09/10/23
Originally Posted by DavePrice
RIP CWO Petrello!

God Rest His Soul...

What an amazing life he lived.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 09/23/23
Thanks to everyone who posts about the lost Fire friends.
Posted By: memtb Re: Rest in peace brothers. - 03/01/24
I don’t come here often, but this visit has been very sobering.

While I haven’t made any close friends here at the fire, and have met only a few …..there are so many names within these pages that I recognize and enjoyed reading their posts/contributions.

I only yesterday saw that BoggyCreekRanger had passed. I only knew BCR as a friend of Sonny or 270 whom I met many years ago.

It hurts to read about the passing of so many that greatly contributed to the Campfire…..all are missed! memtb
RIP CWO Petrello!
My Condolences to his family, I read his posts for years.
© 24hourcampfire