Home
An allotment has real value, it can be bought and sold. It has been stated that the BLM declared Bundy in default on his remaining 150 head allotment. It has been stated that the BLM subsequently sold that allotment for $350,000.

So that means the allotment was worth about two thousand three hundred thirty three dollars per head.

What did the BLM pay the Bundy ranch when they took away the greater portion of that allotment? By my calculations they should have payed the Bundys just a bit over a million bucks.

I certainly have not heard a word about the Bundys being paid restitution for the taking of their property (ie that 450 head allotment which was taken away for the benefit of the tortoise)

Not Property?????????

Then how in the heck can the BLM turn around and sell the remaining portion????????????

The other ranchers they ran off, asked where the line was that their cattle went on to federal land. NO ONE can show them. It is an arbitrary line. The BLM took their cattle, sold it AND charged them enough extra to put them out of business. Reid is committed to sell the land to the Chi Coms for 11% of the value. His son is involved too. He screwed over the people of Nevada big time. He should be recalled or impeached. Probably won't even make the news.
Hi Marlin,

I have looked for an update on the condition of your gorgeous dog, to no avail.

So, how is that big old, loving boy doing. Much better I hope.
Grazing Allotments are "Real Property". Lots of Grazing Allotments are sold between private parties, sometime in conjunction with adjoining private ground sales and sometimes as a standalone commodity.
Around here there are some rules and limitations on the sale of allotments. For instance as one rancher retired he sold off USFS allotments. My Uncle and a couple other neighbors who shared the allotment purchased the AMU's. But they each had to purchase a cow from the retiree to cover each head on the allotment.

I have also seen a BLM allotment sold between ranches. But the purchasing ranch was adjoining the allotment.

Lots of folks are calling Bundy a freeloader and such. But if the Feds came in and stole over a million dollars worth of their real property with no restitution, they would be loath to pay the Feds any monies also.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
An allotment has real value, it can be bought and sold. It has been stated that the BLM declared Bundy in default on his remaining 150 head allotment. It has been stated that the BLM subsequently sold that allotment for $350,000.

So that means the allotment was worth about two thousand three hundred thirty three dollars per head.

What did the BLM pay the Bundy ranch when they took away the greater portion of that allotment? By my calculations they should have payed the Bundys just a bit over a million bucks.

I certainly have not heard a word about the Bundys being paid restitution for the taking of their property (ie that 450 head allotment which was taken away for the benefit of the tortoise)

Not Property?????????

Then how in the heck can the BLM turn around and sell the remaining portion????????????

It can be sold by the owner
Bundy leased it until he stopped making the rental payments, at which time it was sold to the State of Nevada as turtle habitat
The Taylor Grazing Act was asked for by the ranchers. The money is supposed to fix fences and water stations. The Feds stopped doing the improvements, then said the cows were going into the wrong areas.

They used the fees to destroy the ranchers. Wayne Hage won in court and got nothing for his losses. Cliven Bundy is what is right in America, and his detractors are useful idiots for the Tyrants.
http://therightscoop.com/kelly-file...down-via-filmmaker-dennis-michael-lynch/
http://video.foxnews.com/v/3469473377001/whats-next-for-cliven-bundy/?intcmp=obnetwork#sp=show-clips
Wayne Hage won in court

And Bundy lost in court
Originally Posted by Snyper
Wayne Hage won in court

And Bundy lost in court

You're WELL on your way to establishing "Cred" here.

Your Handle, and the brilliantly clever / unique sig line speak volumes about your mindset, and native intelligence.

Keep talking, and WELCOME to the campfire.

GTC
You still don't get it.

It is not "RENT". The ranch owner OWNES the allotment. The RANCHER may sell the allotment under rules set forth as "The Taylor Grazing Act".

You own your house and yard. You pay taxes on it. If you refuse to pay taxes, then a lien is placed against your property and it might be auctioned off, for taxes.

Grazing fees are much more akin to taxes than to rent.

So, let's say the feds come through and bulldoze your house because they saw a spotted owl nesting in the tree out back. Let's also say that you ran a semi lucrative business out of your home. Let's say the feds refuse to pay you for the value of your home, and they refuse to reimburse you for the custom you have lost as your place of business was destroyed.

So, how do you feel now about lining the feds' pocket with your hard earned cash.
Hi Marlin,

I have looked for an update on the condition of your gorgeous dog, to no avail.

So, how is that big old, loving boy doing. Much better I hope.

I appreciate your asking. He's a little better but has a long way to go. We had him back to Westvet twice this past week. We have some more medicine coming in for him. Got him to eat a little today which is better than the last few. He had some company and when they came in a couple of days ago he ignored them. Today they came in the door from outside and he was up barking at them, so he did some moving around. I was glad to see that. Still praying for the poor guy.
I am glad to hear he is on the mend. Have you fully determined the cause of his distress?
You still don't get it.

It is not "RENT". The ranch owner OWNES the allotment. The RANCHER may sell the allotment under rules set forth as "The Taylor Grazing Act

You can keep repeating that, but the evidence shows otherwise, since if he in fact did "own" it, he wouldn't have lost it by not paying the fees for LEASING (not owning) grazing rights
http://www.blm.gov/wy/st/en/field_offices/Casper/range/taylor.1.html

https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/a...ctim-mentality-costs-him-grazing-rights/

The day he decided to stop paying his grazing allotment fees required by law, (not imaginary law mind you, but real law passed by Congress and enforced by federal agency) he rendered his voice and any control he had over the destiny and use of the land irrelevant.
You still don't get it.

It is not "RENT". The ranch owner OWNES the allotment. The RANCHER may sell the allotment under rules set forth as "The Taylor Grazing Act".

The fact that grazing fees are required show that the rancher doesn't own the land. Or retain rights after he ceases to make the lease payments.

Bundy should have been off that land 20 years ago when he quit making the payments.
It has been stated that the BLM subsequently sold that allotment for $350,000.

What did the BLM pay the Bundy ranch when they took away the greater portion of that allotment?

By my calculations they should have payed the Bundys just a bit over a million bucks.

All of the above is incorrect.
The actual amount was $375,000, but that was for ALL the outstanding allotments, and not Bundy's alone.

Since Bundy never "owned" anything, they owed him no money
In fact, he owes them 1.1 million in past due fees and penalties

That and much more misinformation is dispelled here:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...-now-about-the-nevada-rancher-situation/
You still don't get it.

You own your house and yard. You pay taxes on it. If you refuse to pay taxes, then a lien is placed against your property and it might be auctioned off, for taxes.

So, let's say the feds come through and bulldoze your house because they saw a spotted owl nesting in the tree out back. Let's also say that you ran a semi lucrative business out of your home. Let's say the feds refuse to pay you for the value of your home, and they refuse to reimburse you for the custom you have lost as your place of business was destroyed.

So, how do you feel now about lining the feds' pocket with your hard earned cash.
A grazing permittee does not own the allotment. They own the permit, or more specifically the preference, for grazing. The reason your family had to buy cows for purchasing a USFS grazing permit is that USFS permits are tied to the animal herd. BLM permits are tied to base property or in some cases base water. This all clearly spelled out in the Taylor Grazing Act and associated regulations directing the management of grazing on BLM lands. Those same regulations spell out how grazing permits (NOT ALLOTMENTS) can be transferred to others.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Grazing Allotments are "Real Property". Lots of Grazing Allotments are sold between private parties, sometime in conjunction with adjoining private ground sales and sometimes as a standalone commodity.
Substitute the word permit for the word allotment and you are on the right track. Base property that has a permit tied to it does not have to be adjoining the allotment for which the permit authorizes grazing.
You and pointer are absolutely correct but intellectual honesty isn't on the priority list for some.

The 7 Q&As are quite persuasive in discarding the easiness by which some get caught up in blatant ignorance and rumors.

Glenn Beck is beginning to get it.

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/04/14/ne...tates-property/

Lastly, if one truly wishes to understand the settled law behind all of this, one need look no further than the findings of fact and conclusions of law in the Gardner case.

Adhering to the rule of law, also a well founded constitutional principle, has the simple minded resorting to lamely amusing accusations of liberal, pro-government, etc.

Here's the actual law and constitutional provisions that apply rather than the Infowars blather as to how it should apply. Some might learn that "I don't like it" is an argument for children,not for the adult,real world. Folks confuse Bundy's so called liberty mantra for what it actually is;Anarchism.

Must be your lawyering skills, here I was starting with what I presume is the Taylor Grazing Act itself....

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/43/315

Only time payment for cancelled grazing leases is specified in that section was when the military takes over the land. Interestingly, one cannot take over another's grazing permit unless you pay the previous guy the fair value of any improvements they may have made. Didn't find anything about buying and selling of permits between private individuals.
Irregardless of whether or not Cliven Bundy was in the wrong, the BLMs reaction and response was uncalled for and totally out of line. Excessive force come to mind. And the people's reaction to that use of force, was fully justified.

Why did the federal government feel the need to send in 200 armed agents, impose airspace restrictions, and implement "First Amendment Zones"?

Go on and take a good long hard look through the keyhole and stare Tyranny in the face boys and girls, because it just showed up at our door, big as sheit.
Irregardless of whether or not Cliven Bundy was in the wrong, the BLMs reaction and response was uncalled for and totally out of line. Excessive force come to mind. And the people's reaction to that use of force, was fully justified.
==============

I agree completely.

The dynamic was litigated in 2 Federal courts and 1 appellate court and enforcement should have remained in the courts,as I expect it will now.

Originally Posted by FOsteology

Why did the federal government feel the need to send in 200 armed agents, impose airspace restrictions, and implement "First Amendment Zones"?

Go on and take a good long hard look through the keyhole and stare Tyranny in the face boys and girls, because it just showed up at our door, big as sheit.
THAT THAT THAT --- in a nutshell!!!!

Posted By: RWE Re: Grazing allotment is property - 04/15/14
Wait till you see what the reaction is the next time your yorkie pisses on a fire hydrant.
After my failed attempts to get them to fetch tennis balls tossed onto the Interstate, they are now back with my daughters.

Originally Posted by isaac
After my failed attempts to get them to fetch tennis balls tossed onto the Interstate, they are now back with my daughters.

LMAO...
Posted By: RWE Re: Grazing allotment is property - 04/15/14
We got owls. And no dogs smaller than 20 pounds.

Coincidence?

Damnit, Bob, I think it's your url line that's screwing up my window!
Originally Posted by FOsteology

BS. Everyone knows all the hundreds of ranchers the Feds have kicked off our federal lands is because the worthless freeloaders haven't been paying their fees. crazy wink
Didn't notice it till you pointed it out, Tom. I apologize and will edit.

It's all better now. Thanks. And no need to apologize.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
It has been stated that the BLM subsequently sold that allotment for $350,000.

What did the BLM pay the Bundy ranch when they took away the greater portion of that allotment?

By my calculations they should have payed the Bundys just a bit over a million bucks.

All of the above is incorrect.
The actual amount was $375,000, but that was for ALL the outstanding allotments, and not Bundy's alone.

Since Bundy never "owned" anything, they owed him no money
In fact, he owes them 1.1 million in past due fees and penalties

That and much more misinformation is dispelled here:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...-now-about-the-nevada-rancher-situation/

Someone is extremely obtuse.

No one anywhere on this thread said anything about Bundy owning the LAND. Obviously he did not own the LAND. He owned the grazing ALLOTMENT permit. (specifically...the right to consume the forage upon that land)

That has nothing to do with owning or leasing the land. Another party might own prospecting rights to the exact same land, and all should have the right to hunt or recreate upon the exact same land. (Unless some dumb ass federal agency bars those rights as well.)

Grazing allotments permits, as has been mentioned before, get traded and sold between individuals all the time. They are actual property with real value. Just as a song, a book, a drug formula, or a computer program are property.

When the BLM barred Bundy from using 3/4 of that allotment 20 years ago (the ALLOTMENT permit for which he OWNED) they in reality seized over one million dollars of his property (to my best guess). And I have not found any mention that he was reimbursed for that loss.

My point is, that would put the fight into just about any individual.
=========

That is very true.
=========

That is very true.

He is spot on with his post.

Do you see anything untrue about it?
Oh yeah...
===========

Bundy also claims that it his �right� to graze these BLM public lands. This is not the case. The Taylor Grazing Act of 1934 specifically states that the issuance of a grazing permit does not confer any right to graze or right to own the land. The Taylor Grazing Act is the granddaddy of the U.S. laws governing grazing on federal land. �Taylor� was a rancher and a congressman from Colorado, hardly someone to want government tyranny over ranching.

So far as consistent with the purposes and provisions of this subchapter, grazing privileges recognized and acknowledged shall be adequately safeguarded, but the creation of a grazing district or the issuance of a permit pursuant to the provisions of this subchapter shall not create any right, title, interest, or estate in or to the lands.

In Public Lands Council v. Babbitt the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the new grazing regulations promulgated by the Department of Interior under former Secretary of Interior Bruce Babbitt to conform to Federal Land Policy and Management Act of 1976 (FLPMA) and found:

The words �so far as consistent with the purposes . . . of this subchapter� and the warning that �issuance of a permit� creates no �right, title, interest or estate� make clear that the ranchers� interest in permit stability cannot be absolute; and that the Secretary is free reasonably to determine just how, and the extent to which, �grazing privileges� shall be safeguarded, in light of the Act�s basic purposes. Of course, those purposes include �stabiliz[ing] the livestock industry,� but they also include �stop[ping] injury to the public grazing lands by preventing overgrazing and soil deterioration,� and �provid[ing] for th[e] orderly use, improvement, and development� of the public range.

He has no �right� to graze it.

The federal courts have struck down every challenge Bundy has made about his claims, and has issued not one, but two, court orders to remove his trespass cattle. It�s not his land and he has no right to graze it.
Oh. Is THAT what he posted?

But to address YOUR post:

A family that settled and homesteaded and ranched that land abiding by all the rules and paying all the fees like they did, SHOULD have a reasonable expectation that he can continue to do so without molestation by radical environmental groups backed by big government.

Perhaps THAT is why this has gone so far and is such a mess.

Maybe the government does need to change things to give some assurances that the historical usage will not be taken away from folks?

That would keep the jackbooted thugs out of the picture too. wink
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Must be your lawyering skills, here I was starting with what I presume is the Taylor Grazing Act itself....

Only time payment for cancelled grazing leases is specified in that section was when the military takes over the land. Interestingly, one cannot take over another's grazing permit unless you pay the previous guy the fair value of any improvements they may have made. Didn't find anything about buying and selling of permits between private individuals.

Birdwatcher,

I have no idea where it is spelled out in the law. But I can show you several instances where either BLM or USFS permits have been sold and purchased between individuals locally. All such transactions are monitored closely by the supervising agency.

I also know that some permits are put up for auction by the agencies occasionally. It made the news a few years ago when anti cow (supposed to be environmental groups) started bidding for and buying such permits. Then the grasses became over grown and our perennial fire problems became much worse.

The BLM had to start demanding a grazing plan before accepting bids for permits. The enviro/whackos screamed bloody murder at that development.

The ranchers make good use of the Taylor Grazing permits. And the range lands do actually need to be harvested. Since wild bison are far too destructive to be turned loose to do the job, it can be fairly stated that the range actually NEEDS the cows.

No other animal can do the job the bison used to do. The bison migrated across the continent grazing the green grasses as they moved from South to North in the spring and back in the fall.

Cattlemen put cows out to graze when grass is plentiful and move them over the range to keep them on good feed. When the range grass is properly harvested, they bring the cows into the feed lots and home pastures.
Oh yeah...
===========

Bundy also claims that it his �right� to graze these BLM public lands. This is not the case. The Taylor Grazing Act of 1934 specifically states that the issuance of a grazing permit does not confer any right to graze or right to own the land. The Taylor Grazing Act is the granddaddy of the U.S. laws governing grazing on federal land. �Taylor� was a rancher and a congressman from Colorado, hardly someone to want government tyranny over ranching.

So far as consistent with the purposes and provisions of this subchapter, grazing privileges recognized and acknowledged shall be adequately safeguarded, but the creation of a grazing district or the issuance of a permit pursuant to the provisions of this subchapter shall not create any right, title, interest, or estate in or to the lands.

In Public Lands Council v. Babbitt the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the new grazing regulations promulgated by the Department of Interior under former Secretary of Interior Bruce Babbitt to conform to Federal Land Policy and Management Act of 1976 (FLPMA) and found:

The words �so far as consistent with the purposes . . . of this subchapter� and the warning that �issuance of a permit� creates no �right, title, interest or estate� make clear that the ranchers� interest in permit stability cannot be absolute; and that the Secretary is free reasonably to determine just how, and the extent to which, �grazing privileges� shall be safeguarded, in light of the Act�s basic purposes. Of course, those purposes include �stabiliz[ing] the livestock industry,� but they also include �stop[ping] injury to the public grazing lands by preventing overgrazing and soil deterioration,� and �provid[ing] for th[e] orderly use, improvement, and development� of the public range.

He has no �right� to graze it.

The federal courts have struck down every challenge Bundy has made about his claims, and has issued not one, but two, court orders to remove his trespass cattle. It�s not his land and he has no right to graze it.

Once again, NOBODY said it was his land.

but the creation of a grazing district or the issuance of a permit pursuant to the provisions of this subchapter shall not create any right, title, interest, or estate in or to the lands.

It is not the LANDS to which we refer, it is the FORAGE upon those lands.

???????If the PERMIT is not property, how then can it be sold or traded between individuals? How can .gov auction it off?????

YES, .gov does have the right to withdraw the permit and resell it if one does not pay the proper fees each year. JUST as they will seize and sell your house if you do not pay your property taxes.

Birdwatcher,

I have no idea where it is spelled out in the law. But I can show you several instances where either BLM or USFS permits have been sold and purchased between individuals locally. All such transactions are monitored closely by the supervising agency.

I also know that some permits are put up for auction by the agencies occasionally. It made the news a few years ago when anti cow (supposed to be environmental groups) started bidding for and buying such permits. Then the grasses became over grown and our perennial fire problems became much worse.

The BLM had to start demanding a grazing plan before accepting bids for permits. The enviro/whackos screamed bloody murder at that development.

The ranchers make good use of the Taylor Grazing permits. And the range lands do actually need to be harvested. Since wild bison are far too destructive to be turned loose to do the job, it can be fairly stated that the range actually NEEDS the cows.

No other animal can do the job the bison used to do. The bison migrated across the continent grazing the green grasses as they moved from South to North in the spring and back in the fall.

Cattlemen put cows out to graze when grass is plentiful and move them over the range to keep them on good feed. When the range grass is properly harvested, they bring the cows into the feed lots and home pastures.

The buying, selling, trading, inheriting, and splitting, or even changing the animal unit type or even subleasing the grazing permit for another's cattle goes on all the time. Too many times to count.
You can even retire the grazing permits for a given time and graze nothing on the land.

It is a common practice.

The rules vary by BLM district.

The grazing permit does indeed have real value... Unless the government takes it from you with the stroke of a pen. wink

Been down that road already.

It didn't sink in. Tried explaining it, and got threatened with a "2x4 education" by him... grin
=======

Yes, it was. But, even before his edit, my response still covered both dynamics.

A family that settled and homesteaded and ranched that land abiding by all the rules and paying all the fees like they did, SHOULD have a reasonable expectation that he can continue to do so without molestation by radical environmental groups backed by big government.
=======

No rockinbar, he did not pay all his fees.

IMO, it's a mess because the government,during an emotionally infused dynamic and without any sensitivity to the devastation modern history is going to inflict upon this hard working family, chose to deal with it by OD'ing on egomaniacal power trips rather than continuing to peacefully deal with the matter judiciously.

Bundy's ignorance,the law,changing times and the fact this man is going to lose everything he worked his whole damn life for mandates a remedial fix a bit more respectful than the undeserved arrogance of governmental kicks to the nuts.

Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Been down that road already.

It didn't sink in. Tried explaining it, and got threatened with a "2x4 education" by him... grin

=============

No, it wasn't how the general arguments began the first couple of days. Most of the majority, if not yourselves, stated the land was Bundy's. Perhaps there were some later edits.

As to the 2x4 comment,rockinar,that was a general metaphorical comment, not a statement saying I would do such a thing to you personally.

When someone says some folks can only learn by the 2x4 method, do you actually take that to mean the person wanted to beat you with a 2x4?
=======

Yes, it was. But, even before his edit, my response still covered both dynamics.

=======

Bundy's ignorance,the law,changing times and the fact this man is going to lose everything he worked his whole damn life for mandates a remedial fix a bit more respectful than the undeserved arrogance of governmental kicks to the nuts.

Did he quit paying fees before or after the feds stole 3/4 of his allotment?

He did until they kicked him off of his allotment/permit 20 years ago because a radical environmental group used the BLM as the instrument of eviction.

I agree the government could have, and should have, and probably still should handle things differently. They could do that in most cases.

Not saying Bundy has a degree in nuclear physics either. He has about as much to do with all this as Rosa Parks did with the Civil Rights Movement. They were both only the straw that broke the camel's back...

In both cases, the real cause of the headlines was that they stood up and said "enough". THAT made the headlines.
But when somebody proclaims "enough is enough" it's generally premised upon some "right" to something.

Please explain to me what he had a "right" to, other than what he already knew wasn't a right that inured to him, ie permits,land,grazing?

The law and his own signed permits expressly stated he had no "rights" to anything that couldn't be immediately modified,changed,depleted or even taken away.

Knowing that was the case, as Bundy certainly did, and that all this legal wrangling was confirmed in 2 federal courts and 1 appellate court, against Bundy, what then happened to create the "enough is enough" mantra?
Issac,

Do you have access to a permit form?

I have never actually seen a permit. Does the permit actually state that it may be withdrawn at any time?

When one purchases something, one expects it to not have an undisclosed termination date.
I honestly don't know about Bundy's actual permit but in the Gardner case, I did see the actual permit and such language was expressly on the permit.

As to Bundy's specific permit, I can not say I know for a fact it was on it.

However, the TGA, the law controlling all such permits, expressly states such is the case.
Isaac, this is the exact reason I gave the advice that I did last week to both you and Birdwatcher. You can still go get some background education by reading-up on the Hage situation. I would suggest reading the stuff written by the Hage family first. Read-up on the history, then court cases and rulings (don't forget to check-in on the most recent cases and rulings) When you get to the part about the takings case, chime back in here, I would like your expert legal opinion on several parts of it. Take care. GOD Bless.
In Public Lands Council v. Babbitt the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the new grazing regulations promulgated by the Department of Interior under former Secretary of Interior Bruce Babbitt to conform to Federal Land Policy and Management Act of 1976 (FLPMA) and found:...............

ok but the rest of the story is that this was only after lower courts had ruled the other way . but then the USSC is the highest court so their ruling stood , well until Bush took office and said " NOPE" and changed just about everything that allowed the court to rule the way it did .

this is nothing new . it didn�t start with the Taylor act nor did the act finish it . which by the way , the act was brought as a way to stop big Eastern corps who jumped into the cattle business with 0 land at all and then began free grazing across everyone else�s claims.
Frankly the Bundy fight has been a short one as there are cases that have been in the courts for 50 -60 years

So now if that ruling of the USSC stood as precedence then how is it that the Nevada federal court rule completely opposite in Hage v. U.S in 2012 and again last may �2013 � in its 104 page brief on the case
Which was basically the same issue . IE long standing, historic grazing claim . BLM cut the numbers just as in the Bundy case .
The difference is Huges then reapplied for permits on and above his original claim . The BLM refused them .
Also I believe hubes included issues with his water right , which as I stated before was the original validation for these very old grazing rights . If Bundy hasn�t done that , he should .
Federal Judge Rules for Property Rights, Smacks Down Abusive Feds
you beat me to it Tim . i guess i didt see your comment on the Huge vs US comment earlier . for those who dont get it . that case was over clasic BLM and USFS actions . which if nothing else the Bundy situation has shown that nothing has change with the BLM. its up to it same old ways
What I don't get, especially on mostly conservative boards like this, is why people are siding with the BLM?

Aren't the BLM senior leaders sworn to uphold and defend the constitution like other public officials? Yet, they arbitrarily decide to suspend public speech and protests except in 'acceptable areas'; they seize a citizen's property and basically declare martial law on/near his property; yet, they are not fired, impeached, fined or held accountable for trampling the bill of rights.

These elected officials as well as the ones in New Orleans during Katrina, should be put on trial and jailed if convicted for tossing aside the constitution for the dictatorial leadership. Instead, none are held accountable unless they piss off a journalist.

Yet, many wannabe subjects and serfs on these boards constantly side with the oathbreaking official.

Being a citizen is supposed to have some guarantees abroad, and especially at home....
PLC v. Babbitt is a red herring.

PLC didn't ask the supremes to say whether or not the abrogation of their grazing rights was proper, only whether or not the law made it possible.

The unanimous decision was because the law clearly allows for such a purpose *in the proper circumstances*.

The purpose of the law was to have the govt referee grazing rights, so that in bad years a few didn't take advantage of a limited resource. As always, a good concept, and as always, perverted by unscrupulous government officials. The law does specifically refer to the preservation of grazing rights, not government projects.

PLC didn't have a very good lawyer and didn't ask the supremes, while they were there, whether or not the actions of the government were proper in the circumstances. So that question didn't get answered.

Like in the case of the photographer who didn't want to crack a lens on some homos, the wrong question gets asked. Rather than first amendment, the photog insisted on an artistic license not to perform. That ain;t in the constitution. Ask the magic eight ball (supremes) the wrong question, you get a poor result.

Hage asked the right question. Can these SOBs just decide to stop letting me graze cattle cause they want to? Answer was no.

Bundy is in the same situation as Hage. But it appears that he got screwed in court, either by a liberal judge or a poor choice in attorneys. Sometimes, you think you know a good attorney, but it turns out that isn't the case.
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders
What I don't get, especially on mostly conservative boards like this, is why people are siding with the BLM?

Aren't the BLM senior leaders sworn to uphold and defend the constitution like other public officials? Yet, they arbitrarily decide to suspend public speech and protests except in 'acceptable areas'; they seize a citizen's property and basically declare martial law on/near his property; yet, they are not fired, impeached, fined or held accountable for trampling the bill of rights.

These elected officials as well as the ones in New Orleans during Katrina, should be put on trial and jailed if convicted for tossing aside the constitution for the dictatorial leadership. Instead, none are held accountable unless they piss off a journalist.

Yet, many wannabe subjects and serfs on these boards constantly side with the oathbreaking official.

Being a citizen is supposed to have some guarantees abroad, and especially at home....
The Rule Of Law is gone in the US.

PS So many people misunderstand the meaning of the term Rule Of Law. It doesn't refer to a condition where there are laws. Nazi Germany had plenty of laws, but law didn't rule. Those in official positions of authority did.

The Rule Of Law refers to a condition in which there is no one who possesses the sanction to exercise arbitrary power, i.e., officials may not exert their will over citizens based solely on their authority. They must only act in accordance with law, and if they do otherwise, they would face the same consequences as would anyone else who did so.
=======

=======

IMO, it's a mess because the government,during an emotionally infused dynamic and without any sensitivity to the devastation modern history is going to inflict upon this hard working family, chose to deal with it by OD'ing on egomaniacal power trips rather than continuing to peacefully deal with the matter judiciously.

Actualy Isaac , I think its more then that . . Im assuming that do to a later post then the one a just quoted , you have or at least have looked at a permit. Which lists the things one must agree to IE under "mandatory" terms and conditions�
*the number of active or suspended AUMs
*salt or mineral supplement locations
*maximum allowable use of forage levels����.,..

What you don�t however see is the process for that permit . You don�t just walk in , hand them the money and they hand you a permit. You have to agree with everything under the conditions and sign or they wont take your money .its a contractual agreement . Also you maybe confusing buying a permit vs. someone who already has a permit . In which case you pay X amount based on your AUM � animal units per month� . again and again and again , based on the permit you already have . you dont go buy a new one each year .

This is why I brought up in a previous thread that the case could very well be made that if Bundy had continued to pay which meant signing the new agreement , he would then have been bound by that new agreement and thus dropped claim to the old agreement . Which was the actual binding agreement which he had been paying on in good faith .
So when the BLM canceled his permit, did they do so because he would not agree to a new contract . Did they then make law concerning this piece of ground , which a judge would then have no other choice but to rule in favor of .
IE they are the law , the make their own rules . If so then there is no wonder 2 courts ruled in favor of the law and against Bundy . After all what else were they to do .

However I submit , that if that was the case , then they were doing the very same thing as they were penalized for doing in the Huge case .

Actual at this point I would say your wrong . What does the man factually have to lose, his grazing rights ???? Seems he already lost those .
His cattle ??? Maybe some of them , but what difference really does that make as he wont have the means to feed them anyway . If he tries to sell them , the fed may very well garnish the sale , so no real loss there . Why not just let them come and take them . Then set back and either laugh your ass of over the city boy antics or scream thief. The US government has burned their bridges here in the west to the point that they could be 100% right , very few are going to believe them. more then likly only a slightly smaller % would be very glade to see or willing to help get ride of the vermin for him . which is what we saw happen . the people we saw were those that made it in 24 to 48 hours after the call for help . how many more were on the way . what would it have been if this had gone on for a week or more ???

Lose His land ?? I would bet you that he doesn�t own it . that�s right , its just a guess but I wonder if his name is actually on the deed . He may already passed it on to his son OR if he is Morman as some are saying , the church may be share holder or he may have signed some of it over to the church as a safty net .

Lots of possibilities. So he may factually have nothing to lose and simply wants the joy of sticking his boot to the government .
Who is to say . But I can tell you that at lest concerning the older folks around here . They don�t do much without thinking things through real hard .
They are not the spur of the moment ,mental brain dead being reared today . So I would bet he has a few cards to play and this call for help was just one

No one anywhere on this thread said anything about Bundy owning the LAND. Obviously he did not own the LAND. He owned the grazing ALLOTMENT permit. (specifically...the right to consume the forage upon that land)

That has nothing to do with owning or leasing the land. Another party might own prospecting rights to the exact same land, and all should have the right to hunt or recreate upon the exact same land. (Unless some dumb ass federal agency bars those rights as well.)

Grazing allotments permits, as has been mentioned before, get traded and sold between individuals all the time. They are actual property with real value. Just as a song, a book, a drug formula, or a computer program are property.

When the BLM barred Bundy from using 3/4 of that allotment 20 years ago (the ALLOTMENT permit for which he OWNED) they in reality seized over one million dollars of his property (to my best guess). And I have not found any mention that he was reimbursed for that loss.

My point is, that would put the fight into just about any individual.

My point is you keep posting misinformation, even after being shown proof

Bundy didn't "own" anything

He leased grazing privileges until he stopped making payments

You just keep repeating the same lines after multiple people have shown you proof it's incorrect
Maybe the government does need to change things to give some assurances that the historical usage will not be taken away from folks?

The "historical use was Native Americans and the Fed Govt
Bundy was a latecomer

Yeah. That was real fair, and nobody got upset, or hurt or killed in all that, now did they? whistle

Yeah. That was real fair, and nobody got upset, or hurt or killed in all that, now did they? whistle

I never said anything about all that
You brought up historical use, but want to ignore anything before Bundy
It should be all or none if you say thats whats fair
Who was using it before Bundy, in 1877?

My guess is you'd have been hard pressed to even find a jackrabbit within a day's ride.

Thing is , while tongue and cheek , in your comment , your not to far off and thus why I liked you post with the U tube link where the narrator suggested that we should not be supporting the governments heavy hand in one case while supporting it in another just because we don�t agree with someone�s political opinions

So think on this . I don�t expect folks to agree just something for you to think about . Here is a map of Indian reservations in the US . Lets consider this Owned lands as in a lot of cases they are . Yet in others they are not . However all are under the control of not only tribal governments but also and agency like the BLM . Its however called the BIA .

[Linked Image]

Now lets look at a map that shows lands Judicial accepted by the US government in 1978 . Its should be noted that this is not the claims map of lands covered under treaty rights or agreed lease lands under treaties . thus its not a complete map of lands with actual AI claims intrests under goverment lease
[Linked Image]

so whoactualy owns what . good question thats something that probably never will be settled. however it should be noted that just becouse someone owns a deed to the land , it doesnt mean you own it . if you doubt that just ask all those folks in North idaho who lost their homes when the goverment 100 year leases came do and the Coeur d'Alene people refused to sign a new lease . IE what those people found out was that the goverment gave them deeds to lands they had no right to sell .

Birdwatcher,

several years ago, i was on a voyage to wack a turkey, in that area known as the arizona "strip" country. This is where you go north of flagstaff, and then west to fredonia, north of the grand canyon. It's also where the az game and fish has the buffalo ranch, and the feeding station for the california buzzard, oops, condor. The guy i was riding with had a high level position in state agricultural agency. Told me a bunch of environmental groups were buying up grazing rights/property, to run cows off the grounds. True or not i don't know but what i was told.
[quote]Told me a bunch of environmental groups were buying up grazing rights/property, to run cows off the grounds.

You can't get the permits unless you can prove you own the cattle, and also own enough of your own land to support them for some period of time
[quote]Told me a bunch of environmental groups were buying up grazing rights/property, to run cows off the grounds.

You can't get the permits unless you can prove you own the cattle, and also own enough of your own land to support them for some period of time

Unless your happen to be Ted Turner. Look that up.

This is pretty recent on the subject: http://www.beefcattle.com/news/grazing-permit-buyout-legislation-reintroduced/

Of course it is introduced by liberals for liberals.

Anti-grazing legislators recently reintroduced a bill to allow third-party buyouts of grazing permits for permanent retirement. Cosponsors included Reps. Adam Smith (D-Wash.), Ra�l Grijalva (D-N.M.), Jim Moran (D-Virg.), Henry Waxman (D-Calif.) and others. Their goal: to �address the wasteful, environmentally damaging, and economically inefficient federal grazing policy on our public lands� by providing a �voluntary, non-regulatory, market based solution to public lands grazing conflicts.� The rhetoric is familiar, as is the bill: iterations of the ironically-named �Rural Economic Vitalization Act� (H.R. 2201) have been introduced in multiple sessions of Congress. Last year, REVA was introduced but never saw a hearing and died in committee.

For the low-information individual, the talking points used by the sponsors of REVA may seem valid. However, the misconceptions they present are easily dispelled. For example, the importance of grazing on public lands to the economy and national production of livestock can be summed by these facts: about 40% of the beef cows in the West and half the nation�s sheep herd spend some time on public lands. The benefits of grazing to rangeland health, watersheds, and biodiversity are well-documented.page5image27584 page5image27744

In order to prevent further such damaging, backroom agreements, the Sunshine for Regulatory Decrees and Settlements Act calls for opportunities for public comment and hearings on the proposed consent agreement, and requires the agency to respond to all of the comments in filings to the court; requires the court to take into account provisions and time frames for agency actions laid out in the Administrative Procedure Act; and requires agencies to report annually to Congress on civil actions and consent decrees.page5image32352 page5image32512 page5image32672

Putting aside the so-called �conflicts� associated with grazing (which happens to very compatible with other multiple uses), the premise underlying REVA�s �voluntary, non-regulatory, market based solution� is flawed. While ranchers� grazing preference rights on federal lands constitute a property interest, the fact that the land itself is owned by the federal government means that ranchers are obligated to operate alongside other multiple uses. In order to remain a compatible �multiple user�, ranchers must live up to federally-mandated standards and withstand public scrutiny and litigation. These regulations and the resulting litigation constitute a major cost to ranchers. Radical, multi-million dollar anti-grazing groups are keenly aware of this fact, and constantly work toward eliminating grazing by litigating or threatening litigation to push livestock off the range. If permit buyouts become legal, these groups will easily succeed at making grazing on public lands too costly and miserable to continue�and many ranchers are likely to eventually buckle under the pressure. There can be no �market based solution� when the buyer is able to ratchet up ranchers� cost of doing business and artificially create �willing sellers.�

According to REVA, once permits are bought out, they would then be permanently retired. Grazing across 250 million acres of the West would gradually disappear. So would the jobs and economic activity supported by a huge portion of the western ranching industry. The many rural communities dependent on ranching would wither on the vine�unless once-open ranchland could be converted to more profitable uses, such as development. In any case, the cultural and environmental losses would be incomprehensible.

In the coming days, we will be providing the above points (and more) to Congress as part of a �myths and facts� document. While the bill has little chance of advancing, we will continue educating members of Congress who may be unaware of its potentially damaging impacts.

Some environmental groups bout ranches and permits to retire the grazing, but according to current policies, if the permit is unused for a certain amount of time, the permit can be revoked by the agency and new bids taken on the permit.

Unless you are Ted Turner, of course.

Proof of cattle ownership is required for USFS grazing permits as the permits are tied to the herd. Not so for BLM, as it's tied to the base property. The base property no longer has to provide the forage for the permitted number of livestock. It is acknowledged that feed can be brought to the livestock.

Birdwatcher,

Can you provide a link or a source to the BLM doing this in Idaho? Reason I ask is I know that they very situation has occurred in Idaho, but it was over State School Trust Lands grazing leases and not BLM permits.
here is an artical on it , is this what your asking about ?
Detente in the rancher v. environmentalist grazing wars?
by Jodi Peterson

If you've been trolling the news recently, you might think that ranchers still reign supreme over the federal estate, despite the fact that the number of cattle and sheep on public lands has declined by more than half since the 1950s.

In November, for example, the watchdog group Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility filed a scientific integrity complaint against the Bureau of Land Management -- which oversees most of the West's 260 million acres of grazing allotments -- over a planned study of ecological trends in the region. The agency had ordered scientists to consider the influence of wildfires, invasive species, urban sprawl and climate change, but not livestock grazing, citing "anxiety from stakeholders," concern over potential lawsuits and insufficient data. Then it decided to include grazing after all, but didn't distinguish livestock impacts from those of deer, elk, and feral horses and burros. The Interior Department is investigating PEER's complaint.

Legislation introduced in May by Sen. John Barrasso, R-Wyo., would double a grazing permit's term to 20 years and exempt renewed or transferred permits from environmental review. And last January, the Forest Service and BLM rejected a petition by conservation groups challenging the vastly below-market rates they charge for grazing.

Despite all this, it's clear that public-lands grazing is facing changes. An important trend is the building momentum of a decades-long movement -- one that would give ranchers a way out of public-lands grazing entirely.

In November, Rep. Adam Smith, D-Wash., introduced the Rural Economic Vitalization Act, or REVA, a sweeping piece of legislation that would allow federal agencies to permanently retire grazing allotments anywhere in the West if ranchers voluntarily waive their permits. (Under federal law, if a rancher simply sells a permit, the purchaser must continue grazing.) Third-party conservation groups would pay compensation at market values, and no more than 100 permits could be retired each year. Two other buyout provisions became law in late December, authorizing voluntary permit retirements within the 25 million-acre California Desert Conservation Area as well as for any domestic sheep grazing allotment located within bighorn sheep range anywhere in the West.

One of the first congressionally authorized buyouts came in 1998, in Arches National Park. In 2009, the Omnibus Public Lands Management Act allowed ranchers in parts of Oregon and Idaho to permanently retire their permits. The broader scope of REVA could help federal agencies respond more quickly to conservation conflicts and emergencies across the West, such as rehabilitation after wildfires. "Permit retirement is here to stay," says John Horning, executive director of the Santa Fe-based WildEarth Guardians, one of the main groups campaigning for retirement. He calls it a pragmatic, market-driven solution. "Its influence will continue to grow, as the economic realities of grazing come up against environmental conflicts over sage grouse, bighorns and wolves."

Permit relinquishment gives ranchers options, say proponents; they can pay off debts, shift to more productive private land, invest in other businesses, or retire altogether. But the Public Lands Council, which represents ranchers, sees reductions in available grazing land as the beginning of the end. "We're adamantly opposed to buyouts that retire land from grazing," says Dustin Van Liew, the council's executive director. "It sets a dangerous precedent. If you lose enough infrastructure, the whole industry could collapse."

Other critics of buyout programs point to potential consequences such as the loss of accompanying private ranch land to development; problems with the maintenance or removal of fences, gates and water sources on allotments; and cultural, economic and social impacts on ranchers and rural communities. The BLM's position on the issue is neutral, according to senior public affairs specialist Tom Gorey.

Still, congressionally authorized buyouts offer important advantages over piecemeal approaches to grazing conflicts, say conservation groups. Some have negotiated their own permit buyout deals with federal agencies, such as in the Greater Yellowstone area, but those retirements typically aren't permanent and must be renegotiated when the agency updates management plans.

Lawsuits are another approach; groups such as the Idaho-based Western Watersheds Project have won many major cases. One recent ruling will force the BLM to consider grazing impacts on sage grouse across 30 million acres of public land; another placed an injunction on grazing on 450,000 acres in Idaho until the BLM completes a new management plan.

The problem with litigation, says Western Watersheds' Brian Ertz, is that court decisions don't provide immediate conservation benefits. Instead, they often result in further delay while the agencies perform additional studies and analysis -- which may or may not create tangible, permanent changes on the ground. And because lawsuits are adversarial, with winners and losers, they don't allow for collaboration. "We are willing to wield the stick with lawsuits, but we'd rather have a carrot there," says Ertz. Nor can lawsuits address one of the biggest issues complicating land-use conflicts -- the fact that multiple federal agencies oversee grazing with different responsibilities, rules and authorities.

Although neither REVA nor Sen. Barrasso's Grazing Improvement Act will likely get through the gridlocked 112th Congress, there are other signs that the livestock industry's political grip may be weakening just a bit. In October, the Supreme Court declined to hear an appeal of 2006 rulings overturning Bush-era regulations that did not comply with the National Environmental Policy Act and the Endangered Species Act. Among other pro-grazing provisions, those regulations reduced public participation in grazing decisions, let ranchers acquire water rights on allotments, and gave them shared title to range improvements like fences. "Even though the livestock industry is still entrenched in the West," says Horning, "the ground under its feet shifts every day in ways that diminish its geographic scope and ultimately its political influence."

or maybe this artical on IMPLEMENTING THE OWYHEE PUBLIC LANDS MANAGEMENT ACT LEGISLATION, and the OWYHEE INITIATIVE AGREEMENT
http://www.owyheeinitiative.org/resources.htm
© 24hourcampfire