Home
Posted By: 1B Turn -- Pretty Good History - 04/18/14
This new TV show about spies for the American cause during the Revolution is pretty good watching.

Someone did serious homework for this one. It shows the pro-Brit bent of many -- particularly in NY -- and even revives the story of how Rogers Rangers, the heroes of the French and Indian War, turned mercenary and fought for the deeper-pocketed Brits. (They arrested Ethan Allen by the way.) The costumes look period accurate -- not the typical Gollywood spiffy finery as seen in "The Patriot".

Give it a try.

1B

need to watch it. my wife's qreat-great? grandfather was a spy for Washington at white plains when he was 9 years old. kid had balls like basket balls. DAR book lists him with rank "spy". would love to have known him
Posted By: 1B Re: Turn -- Pretty Good History - 04/18/14
An acquaintance of mine had a predecessor who was a spy for the British in NY. He was caught and hung.

Intrigued by the story, he researched the matter in depth for a book. He learned that the body was buried at Fort Ticonderoga. When my friend went to look there for the grave, he found that, under new federal regs in the Clinton era, all human remains on federal sites were removed to family ground -- initially at the request of native Americans. There were, however, photos made of the spy's remains but they did not include the skull. It had been used as a desk ornament at the nearby mansion of Gouverneur Morris!

One of the founding fathers was a head hunter!

My friend's vanity plate is "TORYSPY".

1B
© 24hourcampfire