Home
my pets get a bit of pet care from professional vets that attended and graduated from accredited veterinarian colleges. we do our best.

but, growing up, down on the farm, a vet was a resource of last resort.

so, in today's post-modern era, where pets are treated like children, and that's good, what are the poor to do?

I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

the simple question is, at what point does one take a pet (dog, cat, bird, cow, goat, horse, fish, etc.) to the vet? what's the story guys?
Get a cat?
in our case if there is a deep wound, broken bone, pain of unknown origin in abdomen, anything involving eyes, we take our girls to the vet. If it is costly I will sell a gun to pay.

when a person takes on the responsibility of an animal it is just that, a responsibility. plus I like animals better than most people anyway. I still greave for lost pet/companion more than lost family members. just me.
cats get the same care but I don't like for them as much.
Originally Posted by eyeball
Get a cat?

I like cats. the neighborhood neotropical migratory songbirds don't like them all that much, especially the free-range semi-feral ones.

Originally Posted by deerstalker
in our case if there is a deep wound, broken bone, pain of unknown origin in abdomen, anything involving eyes, we take our girls to the vet. If it is costly I will sell a gun to pay.

when a person takes on the responsibility of an animal it is just that, a responsibility. plus I like animals better than most people anyway. I still greave for lost pet/companion more than lost family members. just me.

yeah, that's us too. the vets and related animal hospitals are an important part of our neighborhood eco-system, much like the Walmart, and the gasoline stations.
Get a 22 and a shovel.
Then another dog.
where's your heart man?
Buy lotsa Iodine and a stapler.
And dewormer.
growing up on a farm in rural America, using a vet was a big deal back in the day.

nowadays, seems like they're pretty much standard issue, and it is good that they are available.

I'm old school when it comes to pets, but I recognize a ton of folks not only love their pets, but have dispensable income to expend on their health.

but, not everyone who loves pets are so blessed as to consumptive purchasing power. how does one address such discrepancies?

I'm thinking a special Obama care for pets is and should be in order?

tell me where I'm wrong, if you will. I mean, pets have a right to "relatively:" expensive medical care, right?
here again. if you can't care for them don't have them.
also there is some fairly cheap pet insurance.
I can't say how many times someone has told me,"If he (his dog) is not better tomorrow I'm going to take him to the vet." My response,"I don't think I'd wait." Result, invariably, was a dead dog the next day.

Some people....
The poor don't need a pet. Pets are a PIA.
That's a little narrow minded.
We get the rabies, quick checkup, advice on any lumps, and the city license. Anything else, we dont spend the money for a poor outcome. We do have a laid back vet who doesn't push senseless treatments. We had a traveling vet for the last one that got too far along, easier at home, but not cheaper. My old boss put one down in the garage with a .22, his wife raised holy heck, and he gave the gun to me. I don't think I could pull it off. I know people who spend hundreds or thousands and still have a pet succumb to whatever in short order. There are a couple street bums around work with dogs. If you can acome up with a license and food, that is all you need
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

Maybe on the pets are a PIA but not on the poor. If they have money for a pet they have money to support themselves and do not need taxpayer assistance.
Originally Posted by kennyd
We get the rabies, quick checkup, advice on any lumps, and the city license. Anything else, we dont spend the money for a poor outcome. We do have a laid back vet who doesn't push senseless treatments. We had a traveling vet for the last one that got too far along, easier at home, but not cheaper. My old boss put one down in the garage with a .22, his wife raised holy heck, and he gave the gun to me. I don't think I could pull it off. I know people who spend hundreds or thousands and still have a pet succumb to whatever in short order. There are a couple street bums around work with dogs. If you can acome up with a license and food, that is all you need

your points are well-made. we have a Taz Mahal type animal control facility in our county, and I suppose we should be proud, since we are a somewhat prosperous county (there are better zipcodes in the State). a kill shelter that can adopt out half of the animals is a success?

food and license, what could be better?

lot's of folks love pitbulls, as an example, but other animals as well. so, just at what point should an animal be seen by a vet? how much will it cost, and who pays, pray tell?
Originally Posted by Gus

your points are well-made. we have a Taz Mahal type animal control facility in our county, and I suppose we should be proud, since we are a somewhat prosperous county (there are better zipcodes in the State). a kill shelter that can adopt out half of the animals is a success?

lot's of folks love pitbulls, as an example, but other animals as well. so, just at what point should an animal be seen by a vet? how much will it cost, and who pays, pray tell?

Who pays? The people who own the damn pet. Pets are just like kids, if you can't afford them don't have them.
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by eyeball
Get a cat?

I like cats. the neighborhood neotropical migratory songbirds don't like them all that much, especially the free-range semi-feral ones.

Originally Posted by deerstalker

yeah, that's us too. the vets and related animal hospitals are an important part of our neighborhood eco-system, much like the Walmart, and the gasoline stations.

Mexicans like cats too. They are great- in tamales.
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Originally Posted by Gus

Who pays? The people who own the damn pet. Pets are just like kids, if you can't afford them don't have them.

well,based upon statistics, we do seem to have a bit of a pitbull problem in our county, as well as surrounding counties. but, what to do? no one is able to pass a non pitbull law, ya know?

so, the rendering plants have a role to play, ya know? but, we're speaking of vet care here on this thread.

if a person has a pet, the person is poor, and the vet requires payment for services rendered to a needy pet, then what do we do?

Maybe on the pets are a PIA but not on the poor. If they have money for a pet they have money to support themselves and do not need taxpayer assistance.

Unlike children, pets can be therapeutic. Cheaper for taxpayers than the community mental health center.

Unlike children, pets can be therapeutic. Cheaper for taxpayers than the community mental health center.

I'm tired of supporting the deadbeats. The hell with them and their therapeutic pets.
There's a difference between "poor' and "deadbeat." But you probably know that.
There's a difference between "poor' and "deadbeat." But you probably know that.

what amazes me, and I might be conjecturing here, is how does a family pet manage to get treated for disease nearly forever, if the money is there, yet, a young healthy dog in the Animal control facility gets euthanized and sent to the rendering plant.

how does all those dissonances happen, and yet we shake our heads and say Ok, Ok.

if you're a pet, is it important to be lodged with a rich or semi-rich family?

I'm just asking, and not implying ethics of any kind, type or form.
Life isn't fair.
vel, we all need to put our heads together and work on that little issue.
Come to the Rez and see how it is here.

It'll fuuckin' blow your mind.
Y'all don't have Obowsercare?? Seriously a pet owner that can't afford rudimentary care should not have one-and they are the usual suspects in many cases where a pet needs more expensive care because of malcare on the front end. Personality responsibility is near dead.
Originally Posted by Gus
my pets get a bit of pet care from professional vets that attended and graduated from accredited veterinarian colleges. we do our best.

but, growing up, down on the farm, a vet was a resource of last resort.

so, in today's post-modern era, where pets are treated like children, and that's good, what are the poor to do?

I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

the simple question is, at what point does one take a pet (dog, cat, bird, cow, goat, horse, fish, etc.) to the vet? what's the story guys?

I taught my dog to cultivate and grow her own pot, so when she gets a tummy ache she's off to the drying shed for meds. I think she's faking it most of the time. Dang that dog can put away the Doritos too, no wonder her tummy hurts so much.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Come to the Rez and see how it is here.

It'll fuuckin' blow your mind.

Do the Indians still eat dog, or do they use EBT cards.
The poor don't need a pet. Pets are a PIA.

Agreed. Their priorities are screwed up.

Another vote for a borrowed .22 and a shovel.
© 24hourcampfire