Home
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT House Siding - 07/09/14
After a hail storm, I'm in need of siding. What's the latest wonder product? I know the various fiber cement sidings are quite durable but the thought of having to paint in 10+ years, and likely more frequently after that, is not all that appealing. But fading vinyl that doesn't hold up to impacts isn't all that great either. Has the perfect siding been created yet?
Posted By: eh76 Re: House Siding - 07/09/14
stay away from Gentek products.........
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: House Siding - 07/09/14
It's not cheap but some types of Hardie Plank come in permanent colors.
Posted By: kroo88 Re: House Siding - 07/09/14
Tyvek is quite durable. Alaskans can' t be wrong.
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: House Siding - 07/09/14
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
It's not cheap but some types of Hardie Plank come in permanent colors.

Hardie plank can swell and sag around the snowline, no one is using it around here anymore.

I have ceder, I think it's still about the longest lasting product.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: House Siding - 07/09/14
Originally Posted by kroo88

Well, yeah we can be. Tyvek may be okay further north where it's mostly dry with low humidity. But out here along the coastal areas, your house will rot, mold and mildew from the inside out.

We use felt paper before putting on the siding because it tends to breath a little and not trap moisture.

I'm a big fan of Hardie board. It won't rot or burn and with a metal roof and proper vent screening you're good to go in wildland fire areas.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: House Siding - 07/09/14
They make steel siding and I figure, but not positive, that it is better than vinyl or aluminum.

I imagine it cost an 'arm and a leg'.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: House Siding - 07/09/14
Originally Posted by Oldman2003
They make steel siding and I figure, but not positive, that it is better than vinyl or aluminum.

I imagine it cost an 'arm and a leg'.

I'm not sure, but I don't think they make it any more. US Steel had 'Allside' for a brand name. I helped my brother install it one summer in KC. IIRC, he said the prices were about the same as vinyl or aluminum, but it was a much better product, according to him. Weight was about the same as vinyl, and it withstood hail damage a heckuva lot better than the other two materials. Hail damage is a big thing there in KC, they're always getting some poor weather of one sort or another.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: House Siding - 07/09/14
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
After a hail storm, I'm in need of siding. What's the latest wonder product? I know the various fiber cement sidings are quite durable but the thought of having to paint in 10+ years, and likely more frequently after that, is not all that appealing. But fading vinyl that doesn't hold up to impacts isn't all that great either. Has the perfect siding been created yet?

In reality, cedar shake siding is awful hard to match for durability and minimal care. It will gray up but stay the same for decades. A good check-up once a decade is all you need.

Paint the back side with log oil and spray a light coat on the front any time the notion moves you.

Board siding would follow for durability.

Stepping up to old growth cypress would equal for-ever siding...
Posted By: Bama_Rick Re: House Siding - 07/09/14
+1 on the cypress if you can get it. We have plenty here(when they can get it out). Old growth is getting harder to come by, but new growth (aka white cypress)is fine if you are going to paint. Use an oil based primer and it will last like old growth.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: House Siding - 07/09/14
Originally Posted by stevelyn

Well, yeah we can be. Tyvek may be okay further north where it's mostly dry with low humidity. But out here along the coastal areas, your house will rot, mold and mildew from the inside out.

We use felt paper before putting on the siding because it tends to breath a little and not trap moisture.

I'm a big fan of Hardie board. It won't rot or burn and with a metal roof and proper vent screening you're good to go in wildland fire areas.

I think it was a joke in terms of Alaskan houses that have no siding.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: House Siding - 07/09/14
AK ain't the only place where tyvek rules. Cedar shingles can be installed to provide a more water/wind proof/tighter seal around windows and doors than any other siding material. I've read that some folks soak the shingles in anti-freeze to stabilize and preserve them. Back-priming, as noted above, is also a great idea.
Posted By: kroo88 Re: House Siding - 07/09/14
It was mostly tongue-in-cheek. If you side your cabin, you cross over into the realm of commitent. It also leaves the cabin ready for the next add-on.

I'm a carpenter by trade and have installed my share of siding-from Colorlock to Cedar to
Hardiplank to T&G pine to T111. But I have to admit Tyvek is what I see when I come down the driveway.
Just got back from Mt and a remodel that included
residing with Smartside which is basically pre-finished OSB. Wouldn't recommend it for Ak
climate but it should last in the dry Mt air.

OP, where in Mt did you get hailed out?
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: House Siding - 07/09/14
Billings
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: House Siding - 07/09/14
Originally Posted by stevelyn

You obviously don't know chit about Tyvec.
It's claim to fame and one of the reasons it was created is that it breathes, and it does.
Baricade's better but any house wrap's better than roofing felt.

Besides,,,, I'm pretty sure that was joke.
Around here they call OSB and/or Tyvec "Alaska Siding".
Posted By: ironbender Re: House Siding - 07/09/14
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Around here they call OSB and/or Tyvec "Alaska Siding".

So true! smile
© 24hourcampfire