Home
I picked four gallons of Blackberries on my Virginia Place a couple of days back . Lots of berries on my place . I made myself a skillet of Blackberry Dumpling . Love them . Anyone else picking berries ?

[Linked Image]
Looks good bea.. Can't help but be reminded of Patrick McManus and his huckleberry picking stories grin
Now I'm hungry!

Usually enough here to pick a good batch or two. Not this year. Too dry.
My wife used the rest to canned Blackberry Jam
Ours are just now coming in. Don't normally pick, but this year I plan to enjoy them.
I like Blackberry Dumpling a lot better than Cobbler. A country boy can survive
Red raspberries are just starting here got about two gallons so far some for cobbler, but most will be made into wine.
Yep, the first ones are just getting ripe here in Oregon. Hey Fireball2, is that a blacktail avatar or mulie??
I wouldn't waste them on wine if i was you
Originally Posted by papalondog
Yep, the first ones are just getting ripe here in Oregon. Hey Fireball2, is that a blacktail avatar or mulie??

I stole that photo off the net. grin Looks like a blacktail huh?
My wife is the wine drinker I like them for just about any type of baked dish. It looks like we are going to have a real good crop this year.
Yep having our second cobbler tonight. Made one last week after picking berries with an army buddy and the wives. Best berry crop in years here in Oklahoma. Finally had a rainy summer.
Originally Posted by conrad101st
Yep having our second cobbler tonight. Made one last week after picking berries with an army buddy and the wives. Best berry crop in years here in Oklahoma. Finally had a rainy summer.

sounds good , enjoy
I used to pick a 5 gallon bucket of them for a buck when I was a kid. They are pretty plentiful within 80 miles of the coast or so. If that is a blacktail, it is a dandy! But it looks like one.
Just got HAMMERED by a bad hatch of June Bugs, and lost all the Elberta Peaches, a lot of Apples, and some ground on my Thornless Blackberry Picking. They're mostly iradescent green mulch now (the June Bugs), and my new stands of TBBs are still setting fresh blossom.

Folks LIKE em', and are paying $4.00 a Pint in the "You Pick" mode,.....I weigh their containers in, they pick, I weigh em' out. wink

Sellin' em' to the local Food Co-op, ....picking, packing, deliveries, staff that had no idea about what their mgr had made for a deal, etc. were a PITA.

I'll stick with You Pick, and select deliveries to select patrons, from here on out.

Gonna' make some wine for my mind, too.

GTC
We have Himalaya Berries here, had one Vanilla Cake Cobbler a couple weeks back, just came in and showered from picking across the street. They are a little slow so far, but I am promised a cobbler when we get back from our next salmon trip.
Picked these on my place a couple of weeks ago- they ended up in a delicious cobbler!

[Linked Image]
Been picking a lot the last month. Have a fence row along one side of our drive that I never clear leaving it for quail. It's covered every year and easy to get to just walking down the drive. It gets some fertilizer from the guy that farms our field beside it so they grow big and fast. Makes for an enjoyable stroll to the mailbox!
I picked and ate them throughout the day while running the sawmill. This year's crop rivals that of last year, which was our best ever. My wife makes a killer blackberry cobbler!!!!!
© 24hourcampfire