Home
Posted By: GunGeek Motorcycles you have loved - 07/23/14
So what are the motorcycles you have had and loved.

My first bike was a 1971 Yamaha DT-1 175 Enduro. Back in the day that was a great bike; I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for it.
Looked just like this one:
[Linked Image]

In my 20's I had a Yamaha Seca 550 and I just had the time of my life on that bike. Quick, and as reliable as a claw hammer.

Looked just like this:
[Linked Image]

These days I have a couple of bikes, but since I live in the desert, my dirt bike gets the most use. It's a 1994 Kawasaki KLX-650 and again, as reliable as a claw hammer; just can't kill it.
Looks like this one
[Linked Image]

I've had oodles of other bikes, but those are the one's I just loved.

I'm a died in the wool fan of Japanese bikes; they just know how to build bikes.
Posted By: aalf Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/23/14
Originally Posted by GunGeek
So what are the motorcycles you have had and loved.

I've had a bunch of Harleys....hard to narrow down a favorite....
1963 Honda Super Hawk, 1964 BSA 441, 250cc JAWA, BMW R25, OSSA Super Pioneer,500cc Ducati, 350cc Bultaco, 350 cc Husquavarna, but the Super Hawk was retired with 204,000 miles in 1971.

Terry
Posted By: Raeford Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/23/14
A early 70's Honda MR??CR??175 Elsinore.
Had it as a teenager.
Had a blast and then some on it!
For me, it turned out to be a Honda CB 450, I really wanted the CL model but I can't complain --- it took me down the road a lot of miles. Still the CL model always looked "cooler".
Only truly Loved 1 of them...

A Honda Trail 70 like this one...

It was my key to freedom as a kid.

Put a Bazillion miles on it with a gun or fishing pole strapped the side....tore up the countryside dirt roads. Was also used to check my "trapline" consisting of a handful of odds n ends traps...not good for jumping Terraces, but never broke anything on it.

[Linked Image]

Nothing like a 1972 Honda 350 Motosport. That was a big bike back then and I rode it with wild abandon. I had to get one later in life, but couldn't get back into it. I had a 1985 Yamaha XT-350 for a long time, but finally got rid of it for a Yamaha XT-250 that is lower to the ground...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've only owned 1 motorcycle, a Bultaco Pursang, not even sure what year it was but it looked just like this one.

[Linked Image]

1979 XR 500. Put a White Bros aluminum swingarm on it and Works Performance triple rate springs. Swapped in CR 400 forks. Bored it over to about 540cc and installed a Wiseco 10.5 to comp ratio piston and Super Trapp muffler. It was a screamer. Never should have sold it.
Posted By: aalf Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/23/14
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
[Linked Image]

I had one of those too, only the gold colored one.

Quite a step up from Dad's Shriner mini bike....
1972 Yamaha JT-1 MX60, 1971 Hodaka 100 Dirt Squirt, 1974 Yamaha TY 250 Trials and my current "baby", a 1976 Yamaha TY 175 Trials. Still looking for a nice original Hodaka 100 Super Rat!!!
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/23/14

Put a Bazillion miles on it with a gun or fishing pole strapped the side....tore up the countryside dirt roads. Was also used to check my "trapline" consisting of a handful of odds n ends traps...not good for jumping Terraces, but never broke anything on it.

[Linked Image]
I had one of those, was a lot of fun, and they just run forever.
1970 Honda CB350 was my magic carpet in college. Great little machine, very well balanced overall for power, acceleration, handling and stopping. Damn near maintenance free as well, just keep it gassed up.

1970 Norton 750 Commando � 1940�s British technology, you�d hear things thrashing around in the crankcase, only 4 speeds, smell of hot oil while riding it, and it took an hour of maintenance for every three days riding it. But it had a bunch of torque and a flat power curve so it took off with a twist of the throttle at any RPM in any gear and handled like it was on rails. I truly loved that machine.

Break for 40 years, now have a 2014 Honda CB500. I don�t �love� it yet, but it�s really growing on me. Tons of fun to ride.
Posted By: Toddly Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/23/14
I sold this 1973 Honda 350 a few years back, wish I would have kept it!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
1970 Honda CB350 was my magic carpet in college. Great little machine, very well balanced overall for power, acceleration, handling and stopping. Damn near maintenance free as well, just keep it gassed up.
That was one hell of a runner back in the day. Light, reasonably powerful, and flickable through the corners. I'd love to pick one of those up on the cheap to build up for my daughter.

1970 Norton 750 Commando � 1940�s British technology, you�d hear things thrashing around in the crankcase, only 4 speeds, smell of hot oil while riding it, and it took an hour of maintenance for every three days riding it. But it had a bunch of torque and a flat power curve so it took off with a twist of the throttle at any RPM in any gear and handled like it was on rails. I truly loved that machine.
Unreliable as all hell, but there's just nothing like a Norton...they're off the charts cool. The invention of the Feather Bed frame changed the game, and the Norton would out-handle and out accelerate anything at the time. Finally Yamaha brought out the XS 650 which was heavier and a little less nimble than the Norton, but was completely reliable and generally didn't leak oil...but it generally felt like and rode (mostly) like a Norton for half the cost, and almost none of the maintenance. Still, the Norton is just uber-cool, and that sound...oh the sound!!!

Break for 40 years, now have a 2014 Honda CB500. I don�t �love� it yet, but it�s really growing on me. Tons of fun to ride.
That's a nice bike, I've seen a couple. Simple, powerful, light and great handling. Sporty seat position without throwing out your back. I think you'll like that one. If you're just riding one up, I can't think of much that bike won't do for you. And it's a Honda, so good luck killing it.
Originally Posted by Toddly

[Linked Image]
Wish I was the one who bought it from you. That's a sweet bike. I'd like to get one for my daughter.
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I've only owned 1 motorcycle, a Bultaco Pursang, not even sure what year it was but it looked just like this one.

[Linked Image]

Bultaco made a fantastic bike. I had few but that 250 Pursang was great. I would like to have it back...
Had a lot of fun on a '84 Kawasaki KDX 200. Great low end power for trails and mild climbing with a top end North of 80 mph. I really miss that bike.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/23/14
1978 Yamaha SR500: One-Lunger, Kick Start, Street Bike - (Lots'a torque!)

http://www.2ri.de/Images/Big/0/Yamaha_SR500_1978.jpg

Still got it ,,,
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

[Linked Image]

Bultaco made a fantastic bike. I had few but that 250 Pursang was great. I would like to have it back...

There is a local watering hole in the town where I live called Garcias Cantina, they have a Bultaco Pursang hanging on the wall. It brought back a lot of memories of when I was a teen.
Posted By: prm Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/23/14
1981 RM-125

[Linked Image]
I had a 1985 Yamaha YZ 125 when I was in middle school loved that bike lots of good memories riding with friends and riding girlfriend around on it. She got my cherry, man I miss that girl and that bike.

My current bike I love as well. Honda XR650R 2007 model, tons of power right off the bottom all the way to the top. I want a giant loop for it so I can do some bike campiing. That will only make me love more. I looked for 3 years for this one. I found it in alabama and it was bought new in 2009 and had only been ridden 6 or 8 time, essentially a brand new bike. LOVE IT!

[Linked Image]
Wish I was the one who bought it from you. That's a sweet bike. I'd like to get one for my daughter.

Can't knock the technological advances in motorcycles over the last few decades but those older machines were so simple to maintain, particularly those air cooled vertical twins and single cylinders. Everything was out in the open where you could get to it, no need to half disassemble it to change plugs. And with such a simple design even a rookie like me could understand them and work on them.

[Linked Image]

While I prefer two smokes, those single cylinder air cooled Honda engines seem to run forever.

[Linked Image]

Can't knock the technological advances in motorcycles over the last few decades but those older machines were so simple to maintain, particularly those air cooled vertical twins and single cylinders. Everything was out in the open where you could get to it, no need to half disassemble it to change plugs. And with such a simple design even a rookie like me could understand them and work on them.
Yep, very easy to work on. Here is the video I made of the bike when I decided to sell it.

I've ridden a few buddies bikes over the years, only bike I've ever owned was an '85 cr 125

[Linked Image]
'06 FXSTI..first new bike...long gone but fond memories

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by P_Weed
1978 Yamaha SR500: One-Lunger, Kick Start, Street Bike - (Lots'a torque!)

http://www.2ri.de/Images/Big/0/Yamaha_SR500_1978.jpg

Still got it ,,,

The SR is back! Now it's a 400, but it's much like the old SR500.

http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/products/modelhome/691/home.aspx
Posted By: Jahrs Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/23/14
My first love was a 1972 Suzuki 185. After a mini bike, a Honda 50 and a Honda 100 this was a real motorcycle to me. At 14, this bike, my friends and my girlfriend were my life. After removing the lights, mirrors, and installing knobby tires and an expansion chamber, this bike would climb any hill known in South Jersey and outrun most of my buddies bikes. This was a first kick every time bike.
[Linked Image]
My 2nd love was a 1975 BMW R90/6 and it was all that I had for transportation but in South Florida that's all that a 20 year old guy needed. Every night I would carefully ride it thru my front door and park it in my living room. No way was she staying outside where rust and thieves could get to it. Ive had many bikes since those days but those 2 I would take back if I could.
[Linked Image]
That's two very cool bikes. Sounds like your Suzuki was exactly like my Yamaha 175 Enduro...just plain dependable and competent.

The R90 was an outstanding bike. BMW has gained some steps and lost a few steps. They lead in technology in many areas but they have really lost some steps in reliability. Still, they are a nice ride. If I found an R90 at a decent price, I'd grab it up. The problem with the older Boxer engine Bimmers. Most have a gazillion miles on them. Because Bimmer owners are some serious riders.

But I love that engine design, everything for maintenance is right out there, easy to get at. The newer Boxers, not so much. but those '70's and '80's Boxers are just a dream to work on.
Okay the R90 makes me want to play:
69 Honda Mini Trail
71 Honda CL175
78 Triumph Bonneville (the only one bought new.)
74 BMW R90/6
84 Kawasaki ZN1100
03 Moto Guzzi California Titanium (What was I waiting for?)
Jahrs,

Continuing...

Like you, in my early 20's it was motorcycle only for me. I didn't park my Seca 550 in the house, but it was on the front porch right next to my bedroom window. If anyone messed with it, they'd be looking at the business end of a pistol. (for a while the only handgun I had back then was a Broomhandle Mauser; but she was reliable).

My 550 Seca took me everywhere and did so very comfortably. It lacked the low end of your Bimmer, but get it into the power band and it would beat ANY two cylinder factory bike regardless of how many CC's back then. I've been trying to find a 550 Seca just to re-live the old days; not many of them out there. I'm sure the handling and acceleration wouldn't even remotely compare to my ZZR-1200, but I'm also sure the old Seca 550 would be a pure joy to ride.

About a year ago I rode a late 1976 R90 factory Cafe Racer with the fade paint job and the little quarter faring. Man that was one cool bike. And despite being nearly 40 years old, she handled very well; I could be happy with that bike.
Originally Posted by klondike_mike
...03 Moto Guzzi California Titanium (What was I waiting for?)
That's a good looking bike!
Posted By: sandpit Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/23/14
it would have to be martha,ive had this 1968 T120r bonneville since 1981.right now i have a fall apart 2003 harley fxd
Posted By: Jahrs Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/23/14
That's two very cool bikes. Sounds like your Suzuki was exactly like my Yamaha 175 Enduro...just plain dependable and competent.

The R90 was an outstanding bike. BMW has gained some steps and lost a few steps. They lead in technology in many areas but they have really lost some steps in reliability. Still, they are a nice ride. If I found an R90 at a decent price, I'd grab it up. The problem with the older Boxer engine Bimmers. Most have a gazillion miles on them. Because Bimmer owners are some serious riders.

But I love that engine design, everything for maintenance is right out there, easy to get at. The newer Boxers, not so much. but those '70's and '80's Boxers are just a dream to work on.

I have temporally given up riding because of 2 recent knee replacements but if I ever do buy another bike you can bet your sweet bippy i'll be looking for another R90/6 or 100/7.
[Linked Image]

First motorcycle was a turquoise and cream 1968 BSA Starfire 250cc. I bought it for $450 virtually brand new. Hid it from my parents and rode it to high school. Brought it home one day to show my dad, thinking he would let me keep it because it was so pretty. He drove into the driveway after work. Asked me who the bike belonged to, then asked me how much I paid for it. He then told me to put it in the front yard and put a for sale sign on it, and walked into the house without another word. It sold in one day for $450.

[Linked Image]

My third motorcycle was a brand new 1973 Triumph 750 Bonneville. I bought this motorcycle in Rota, Spain with my $1,500 Combat Arms Enlistment bonus from the Marines. Toured Andaluc�a Spain from Rota to Torremolinos, to Granada, and Sevilla with my buddy who had a 1974 Norton 850 Commando. This photo was taken in Torremolinos when I was 20.

[Linked Image]

30 years later I discovered Moto GP racing and Italian motorcycles. Since the kids were gone I bought this 2001 Aprilia SL Mille to be a "Ricky Racer." Off'd it and bought a 2003 Moto Guzzi V11 Rosso Corsa, perhaps the best motorcycle I have ever owned. Sold it and turned around and bought its stable mate a 2004 Moto Guzzi Coppa Italia.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Had a few bikes including a GeezerGLide (Honda Goldwing) for a short while, and some Yamaha Enduro's way back when. My favorite is my current bike. We went racing again last Saturday. This pictures is from a couple of weeks ago but this is the bike. Started out as an 883R, but is now punched out to 1230cc's, Weisco pistons and jugs, Andrews N-4 Cams, Ported and polished heads with the biggest valves we could shoehorn in, Aluminum intake manifold and S&S Super "E" carbourator. Had designs on getting it turbo'ed, but that project has not come together yet. Best part of last Saturday was beating a brand new Kawasaki Ninja 1100 head to head, straight up race during the time trials. He was starting to catch up to me at the end of the track, ALMOST DID (A great race!) so I have to find a few more HP before I go back grin :

[Linked Image]

Orange Okie,

Gorgeous bikes, those Guzzi's! I have to get a seat stop put on my bike like yours have before it dumps my butt on the ground. I won't have to hang on for dear life while trying to ride and ecxellerate. Only now do I understand why the big 'guzzi's and a few bikes have those pieces standing striaght up at the back of one's seat. To keep the rider IN the seat!

I like your current Red monster the best. Looks like loads of fun.
I think I would be made fun of if showed my current motorcycle that I ride to my office 3-4 times a week.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/24/14
Mine was a "toilet seat" (trail) 90 I got used. Favorite 'cause it's been my only motorcycle. It was kinda fubar, it'd been overheated enough the head would warp and the engine seize if it'd get hot. So ... sit there for a half hour or so 'til it'd cool off.

I broke a few things. I flew it far too high once and it came down hard enough to crunch the rear shock. I rode that out without wrecking but I'm not sure how. Despite the automatic clutch, I missed a shift one time, it wound out to red-line, then caught. Busted some parts inside and I spent two years trying to fix it. Finally gave it away.

One time I managed to do a 30-something mph 360 degree spin without laying it down. I was toolin' along, saw a barb wire fence laying down in the grass, locked the brake, and it just spun around without going down. WTF? Didn't think that was possible. Good thing that straw-like dry grass is slick, if I'd had traction I might have gotten hurt.

Tom
Posted By: Jahrs Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/24/14
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

[Linked Image]

That is a beautiful Motorcycle right there!
My first was a CB350 nearly identical to this one:
[Linked Image]

My current favorite is an 82 Aspencade that I fell in love with my senior year. I couldn't afford it then, but found one a few years ago with 33k on it.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 280shooter
My first was a CB350 nearly identical to this one:
[Linked Image]

With that paint and front drum brake I'm guessing 1971 or 1972?

This is mine (internet pic) with the red and white paint scheme.

[Linked Image]
Yep, very easy to work on. Here is the video I made of the bike when I decided to sell it.

Thanks - the noise of that engine took me back about 44 years. grin
[Linked Image]

First motorcycle was a turquoise and cream 1968 BSA Starfire 250cc. I bought it for $450 virtually brand new. Hid it from my parents and rode it to high school. Brought it home one day to show my dad, thinking he would let me keep it because it was so pretty. He drove into the driveway after work. Asked me who the bike belonged to, then asked me how much I paid for it. He then told me to put it in the front yard and put a for sale sign on it, and walked into the house without another word. It sold in one day for $450.

A long time ago my sister's boyfriend and I bought a frame and a big cardboard box of engine parts for 50 bucks, and over the next few weeks turned it into one of those. Not sure if it was a 1968 model but it was a BSA 250 Thumper just like that. Painted it metal flake purple - hey, metal flake was big back then. wink Got it running just fine but never could get a "lost or stolen" title for it so couldn't get it licensed and had to get rid of it.

I still have some purple metal flake paint from that project on a pair of vise grips out in the garage.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/24/14
The Ducati I never owned, but wanted.
Posted By: colodog Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/24/14
Silver Kawasaki ZRX1200R, I should have never let go but I'll have another!

I should have bought the new on floor '79 RD400 Daytona, what was I thinking...
'72 Yamaha Enduro, '72 Kawasaki H2, '78 XS500, '81 CB900F, '84 Interceptor 500, Yamaha XJ920 RJ, '80BMW R100RS, '04 Harley XL1200R. Loved them all, and miss them!
71 if I remember correctly. After market exhaust. It was loud.
I love flying and bikes are about the closest you can get to flying�

Had a Honda Z50 as a kid.

Had a Suzuki GS550E in my late teens. Fun bike and pretty much top of the heap in its day until Honda brought out the Interceptor. Mine was looked just like this one.
[Linked Image]

Next was a Yamaha XT350. Got one of these when I was in flight school. Pretty good short range commuter and loads of weekend fun.

[Linked Image]

Next was Yamaha XT650. Had one of these while I was stationed at Ft. Carson. Great commuter and awesome weekend fun. Used to ride it up Gold Camp Road outside Colorado Springs and just had a blast.

[Linked Image]

Went for many years without a bike after that... Until I retired from the Army and my son and I started doing a little recreational motocross. Got a 2004 Yamaha YZ250F. Absolutely insane bike. Got rid of it when injuries started interfering with my work. I wasn't very good but I sure had fun!

[Linked Image]

My son was riding a YZ85. The level of performance those bikes are capable of is nothing short of amazing. He could keep up with me without even sweating.

[Linked Image]

A little air time:

Josh

[Linked Image]

Me

[img]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n159/Hondo64d/familypics057_zps12a7b3de.jpg[/img]

All I currently have is a 2007 Yamaha FZ6. Good compromise between comfort and performance. I put a set of forks from an R6S on it. Handles and rides much better than with the stock forks. I ride this to and from work nearly every day the weather will allow. 45 mpg and 0 - 60 in <4 seconds is pretty nice�

[img]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n159/Hondo64d/FZ6/DSC01044.jpg[/img]
I seem to be attracted to high maintenance Italians.

My first bike was a 1988 Ducati 750 Paso limited. Pearl White.

Second bike, 1999 Ducati 748 in yellow. A screaming beast of a twin whose redline is 11,500 RPMs!

Third bike 2001 Ducati M900 Cromo.

Fourth bike 1999 Ducati M900 Cromo ( I put less than one mile on this bike.)

My neighbor just gave me a Yamaha RD400. Its in rough shape and needs a restore.

I still have the 01 Cromo. I hope to never sell it.
Posted By: Toddly Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/24/14
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Mine was a "toilet seat" (trail) 90 I got used. Favorite 'cause it's been my only motorcycle. It was kinda fubar, it'd been overheated enough the head would warp and the engine seize if it'd get hot. So ... sit there for a half hour or so 'til it'd cool off.

I broke a few things. I flew it far too high once and it came down hard enough to crunch the rear shock. I rode that out without wrecking but I'm not sure how. Despite the automatic clutch, I missed a shift one time, it wound out to red-line, then caught. Busted some parts inside and I spent two years trying to fix it. Finally gave it away.

One time I managed to do a 30-something mph 360 degree spin without laying it down. I was toolin' along, saw a barb wire fence laying down in the grass, locked the brake, and it just spun around without going down. WTF? Didn't think that was possible. Good thing that straw-like dry grass is slick, if I'd had traction I might have gotten hurt.

Tom
I put water once in the crankcase because the oil was low. I was also an abusive teen on my first bike. A 69 honda 90 in Canary yellow.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Redneck Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/24/14
Liked 'em all, but two that stand out was my '87 Kawasaki Voyager with the 1300cc in-line six. Quiet, powerful, rather comfy and truly set up for coast-to-coast touring. 117 horse, red-line up around 9K; even with two-up I could pass anything in mere seconds. Kept that bike 18 years..

Second, and newest, is the '14 HD Ultra Classic. What a machine this is - HO 103 engine, excellent entertainment system with full navigation.....:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: driggy Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/24/14
I had a few wore out bikes in the 70's. then graduated to a Seca 550 when I was in the Air Force. Had it a year then got a V45 Sabre. Rode the wheels off that bike. A lot of fond memories of trips I took on it.
Originally Posted by Jahrs
My first love was a 1972 Suzuki 185. After a mini bike, a Honda 50 and a Honda 100 this was a real motorcycle to me. At 14, this bike, my friends and my girlfriend were my life. After removing the lights, mirrors, and installing knobby tires and an expansion chamber, this bike would climb any hill known in South Jersey and outrun most of my buddies bikes. This was a first kick every time bike.
[Linked Image]
My 2nd love was a 1975 BMW R90/6 and it was all that I had for transportation but in South Florida that's all that a 20 year old guy needed. Every night I would carefully ride it thru my front door and park it in my living room. No way was she staying outside where rust and thieves could get to it. Ive had many bikes since those days but those 2 I would take back if I could.
[Linked Image]

I had the 72 TS125 when I was 15. I found another for a little more than what my parents paid in 1972. The head light and tail light and hi/lo switch are worth more alone than I paid for the whole bike.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/24/14
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My third motorcycle was a brand new 1973 Triumph 750 Bonneville. I bought this motorcycle in Rota, Spain with my $1,500 Combat Arms Enlistment bonus from the Marines. Toured Andaluc�a Spain from Rota to Torremolinos, to Granada, and Sevilla with my buddy who had a 1974 Norton 850 Commando. This photo was taken in Torremolinos when I was 20.

[Linked Image]

30 years later I discovered Moto GP racing and Italian motorcycles. Since the kids were gone I bought this 2001 Aprilia SL Mille to be a "Ricky Racer." Off'd it and bought a 2003 Moto Guzzi V11 Rosso Corsa, perhaps the best motorcycle I have ever owned. Sold it and turned around and bought its stable mate a 2004 Moto Guzzi Coppa Italia.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'm seeing a definite European trend...and Italian bikes. Italians can make anything sexy. I don't know how they do it, but if they were to design a spoon, it would be sexy. Nice Guzzi's.
Redneck,

Beautiful machine there. They put that HO 103 c/i motor in a basic, lightweight, no bags or fairings etc SuperGlide or stripped down Dyna also! If (when) I get tired of riding a stiff suspsnsion, very lightweight racebike all over and want something to cruise around on longer distances I would love to try a 103 c/i Super Glide!

Do you know how much HP those 103 Twinkies (nickname for the new twin cam EVO's) are making these days?

Posted By: FreeMe Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/24/14
Back in the day, we had to build our own crotch-rocket. Mine began life as a Yamaha RD 250. Guy I bought it from had trashed the top end, so it was replaced with the 350 top end (with DG high-compression heads). Everything about the bottom of the motor was the same for both, except for the cylinder size stamped into the case cover. Over the course of a winter, the neighbor and I stripped every unnecessary part off the frame, added tuned pipes, K&N intake, Boysen 2-stage reeds, clip-on bars, rear-set pegs with linked speed shift, aluminum rims and swingarm, electronic ignition, and probably a few things I forget right now.

That bike was too much fun. Light and quick. It was meant to be a canyon racer (which it excelled at), but did a lot of street-drag as well. Guys in muscle cars and bigger bikes just couldn't get their minds around why they lost to a little 250cc ring-ding. laugh Yes - that bike was parked in my living room for a time. What the heck - it was small and light enough to run it right up the front steps.

Second favorite bike was my '82 XT550. I put the Michelin DP tires that were developed for the R65 GS on that bike and chewed up a lot of canyon roads on it. Spent most of '82 in NorCal with only that bike for transportation, and learned what riding fast on paved corners is really about there.

I eventually replaced that bike with the XT350 when it came out. That was (and still is, IMO) the single most versatile and practical bike made. It actually handled better in the dirt (although heavy) than any of the motocrossers I raced on in the late '70s, but still did very well on the street. That is the bike I miss the most.

Kevin - I had a Seca 550 too - just like that red one you posted. It was a fun bike, but I never really warmed up to the transverse four. My love has always been for singles and twins. Always had the wants for a BMW Boxer after riding a friends, but never laid out the cash.

I'm pretty much done with motorbikes now, having turned to boats for my leisure time. Can't enjoy riding for transportation....to much like work, dodging the idiots in cars trying to kill me. But I do have a soft spot for the old Honda CX500 (I can't explain why), and a co-worker has hinted that he might sell his that is in excellent shape......
Harley 883 Sportster punched out to 1000 @ 12/1 compression. Sifton cam, titanium pushrods and the heads modified and flow tested by Jerry Branch. Road race ratio (tall) gears that had been lapped in a vat of jewelers rouge. Once off the line, never used the clutch, just hit the kill button to shift. She could get on down the road real quick like and was sorta hard to hold on to under full throttle. 11.85 sec. in the 1/4 mile. Sold it and have regretted it ever since. She was jet black w/orange letters on the tank.

I'm seeing a definite European trend...and Italian bikes. Italians can make anything sexy. I don't know how they do it, but if they were to design a spoon, it would be sexy. Nice Guzzi's.

Italian bikes are like wheeled porn (Well - except for those horrible Harley dirt bikes manufactured by Aermacchi). When I lust after a bike....it's Italian.
Originally Posted by colodog
Silver Kawasaki ZRX1200R, I should have never let go but I'll have another!

I should have bought the new on floor '79 RD400 Daytona, what was I thinking...
You're a man after my own heart.

The ZXR1200R Eddie Lawson Replica gives me the cold sweats. I had the hots for the GPz1100 Lawson Replica back in the '80's too.

Then there's the RD400 Daytona Special; oh what a bike!! That would eat up anything on up to and sometimes over 750 CC, and would eat the ALL up in the twisties. There was a kid in high school who had one, and I walked by it every day...and every day I would stop and drool.

Most of the Dayton Specials you see today have aftermarket exhaust, I want one that's original. Even the non-Daytona RD's were bad azz bikes. The regular RD's can still be found in original condition from time to time, they make for a nice little city commuter.
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/24/14
Mcy's I have loved:

Harley XR1200 (currently own)
Triumph TT600
Honda FT500 Ascot (thumper)
Harley FXDX
Triumph Speed Trip

Mcy's I am not sad it's gone:

Honda VLX600

I'm still in search of the perfect bike. The big ones are so much better on the interstate/highway. The small ones are so much better around town and on backroads.

I've got about the least use for a foot-forward cruiser, but I love the sound and feel of a harley.
Hondo64,

Your Suzuki GS550E...I raced the ES version of that at Laguna Seca back in '82 or '83 (can't remember exactly when) for a local Suzuki shop. I had the Yamaha Seca 550 which was a little faster in the straights, but the Suzuki handled significantly better than the Seca or the Kawasaki GPz 550; yet for some reason the GS550ES was never all that popular...too bad, it was one heck of a bike.

I like your FZ6; that's a great bike.
Originally Posted by driggy
I had a few wore out bikes in the 70's. then graduated to a Seca 550 when I was in the Air Force. Had it a year then got a V45 Sabre. Rode the wheels off that bike. A lot of fond memories of trips I took on it.
Hey, the only other guy I know who had a Seca 550. That was one hell of a bike.

Then there's the RD400 Daytona Special; oh what a bike!!......Even the non-Daytona RD's were bad azz bikes.

The non-Daytonas typically ended up like mine - stripped and pumped up to the point that they made the Daytona look pretty mild in performance. The Daytonas were to cool looking to customize, so I doubt if they often (if ever) reached their full potential.

But the real deal was when Yamaha brought out the water-cooled RZ350. THAT bike was essentially a street-legal track-ready club racer, and it would run circles around any of the RD bikes.
Originally Posted by driggy
Hey, the only other guy I know who had a Seca 550. That was one hell of a bike.

Ahem.....
Posted By: Raeford Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/24/14

Tom [/quote]I put water once in the crankcase because the oil was low. I was also an abusive teen on my first bike. A 69 honda 90 in Canary yellow.

[Linked Image] [/quote]

There were a couple of Trail 90's and 70's in my neighborhood, a few Mini 50's too along with some QA25's?? and even one Hodaka. I started out on a XR75 at the ripe age of 9. Waaay more minibike than I needed at first! I adapted!
The guy I bought my Elsinore from owned many dirt bikes over his teen years including a couple of Rickman's and Husquvarna's.
I saw a yellow Trail 90 sitting at my local repair shop last spring. guy's said they were struggling to get parts for it.
Hondo - as I'm sure you remember, the XT350 and the XT650 were introduced the same year. After spending three years on my XT550, I was ready for the upgrade - mostly for the disc brake, but also the better suspension. My biggest complaint about the 550 was always the front brake. When riding aggressively on the backroads, that front drum would heat up and fade.

Anyway - I test-road both the 650 and the 350, and left the shop with the 350. After all the tire-chewing and chain stretching of the 550, I guessed that the 650 would be even more expensive to feed (in my hands, anyway) and the added power - while extremely fun - was not practical for off-road, and not needed for a guy my size riding solo. I always wondered just how much difference it would have made. Aside from the obvious power difference, what do you remember about the differences between the two?
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Back in the day, we had to build our own crotch-rocket. Mine began life as a Yamaha RD 250. Guy I bought it from had trashed the top end, so it was replaced with the 350 top end (with DG high-compression heads). Everything about the bottom of the motor was the same for both, except for the cylinder size stamped into the case cover. Over the course of a winter, the neighbor and I stripped every unnecessary part off the frame, added tuned pipes, K&N intake, Boysen 2-stage reeds, clip-on bars, rear-set pegs with linked speed shift, aluminum rims and swingarm, electronic ignition, and probably a few things I forget right now.

That bike was too much fun. Light and quick. It was meant to be a canyon racer (which it excelled at), but did a lot of street-drag as well. Guys in muscle cars and bigger bikes just couldn't get their minds around why they lost to a little 250cc ring-ding. laugh Yes - that bike was parked in my living room for a time. What the heck - it was small and light enough to run it right up the front steps.

Second favorite bike was my '82 XT550. I put the Michelin DP tires that were developed for the R65 GS on that bike and chewed up a lot of canyon roads on it. Spent most of '82 in NorCal with only that bike for transportation, and learned what riding fast on paved corners is really about there.

I eventually replaced that bike with the XT350 when it came out. That was (and still is, IMO) the single most versatile and practical bike made. It actually handled better in the dirt (although heavy) than any of the motocrossers I raced on in the late '70s, but still did very well on the street. That is the bike I miss the most.

Kevin - I had a Seca 550 too - just like that red one you posted. It was a fun bike, but I never really warmed up to the transverse four. My love has always been for singles and twins. Always had the wants for a BMW Boxer after riding a friends, but never laid out the cash.

I'm pretty much done with motorbikes now, having turned to boats for my leisure time. Can't enjoy riding for transportation....to much like work, dodging the idiots in cars trying to kill me. But I do have a soft spot for the old Honda CX500 (I can't explain why), and a co-worker has hinted that he might sell his that is in excellent shape......
Wow a 3rd Seca rider. I'm the opposite, I absolutely LOVE the power ans smoothness of an inline 4. But the singles and twins are torquey which makes them very responsive for city riding. The Seca was fine in the city, but if you wanted power, you had to rev her up and get into the power band; then she'd go like a scalded dog.

My first V-Twin was the Honda Pacific Coast which I liked and didn't like. Basically I liked EVERYTHING about the bike but it's lack of power. It had a very good V twin engine, but at 800cc it lacked power. After having the Seca 550 I found it's lack of responsiveness.

But the Pacific Coast was just perfect in every other way. The trunk was just AWESOME!! If it had a different engine, I'd buy another one.

In general that's my main complaint with most V-Twins, the lack of horsepower; well, and the vibration. But these days there are more and more V-Twins with sufficient horsepower, and they have great torque. And the metric V-Twins have much less vibration than the Harley's. Much more ride-able.

The BMW's boxer engine is pretty smooth and has decent power for when you have a passenger.

My ZZR is kind of the best of both worlds. Just over 100ft lbs of torque so it's nice with a passenger. And if anything, it probably makes too much horsepower at right around 175 HP. But that makes for nice cruising, you have good roll on power in any gear at any speed. In fact, it has enough HP & Torque that you can actually start off in 6th gear and roll on all the way up to to 195mph.

Originally Posted by n8dawg6
I've got about the least use for a foot-forward cruiser, but I love the sound and feel of a harley.
That's so funny, that's exactly how I feel about Harley's. They vibrate like crazy, they're not nearly as reliable as a Japanese bike, they handle like crap, stop like crap... But they're so damn cool...and yeah, the what a great racket they make.

There's a great compromise bike from Harley, the XR1200

[Linked Image]

Pegs are underneath you, it has ground clearance, decent suspension, good brakes, and although a little under-powered, it has great torque. I think this would be a great go anywhere do anything bike. It just looks so fun.
Posted By: Hotload Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/24/14
I have owned a dozen motorcycles but the one I loved the most was the first one. A Honda Super Hawk.
You may have guessed that I am partial to Yamahas. A good friend of mine's parents owned the local Yamaha shop. They tended to give me some really good deals.

The old Virago 750 got a lot of bad press for it's lack of power. But I found that to be one of the most relaxing and comfortable bikes for long-distance riding. Pretty much trouble free (for a time) and great fuel mileage for a 750. Too bad about the starter motor problem they developed with age....
That's so funny, that's exactly how I feel about Harley's. They vibrate like crazy, they're not nearly as reliable as a Japanese bike, they handle like crap, stop like crap... But they're so damn cool...and yeah, the what a great racket they make.

[Linked Image]

Pegs are underneath you, it has ground clearance, decent suspension, good brakes, and although a little under-powered, it has great torque. I think this would be a great go anywhere do anything bike. It just looks so fun.

Back in the '80s, one of the bike mag crews (can't remember which) took a Harley XR750 and street-legalized it. They made a few subtle refinements in the process. Had a big write-up on the project and how it performed on the street. It was a roaring success. In my mind, that was the bike that Harley should have been offering - and if they had, I would have bought one. Anybody else remember that article?
Hondo - as I'm sure you remember, the XT350 and the XT650 were introduced the same year. After spending three years on my XT550, I was ready for the upgrade - mostly for the disc brake, but also the better suspension. My biggest complaint about the 550 was always the front brake. When riding aggressively on the backroads, that front drum would heat up and fade.

Anyway - I test-road both the 650 and the 350, and left the shop with the 350. After all the tire-chewing and chain stretching of the 550, I guessed that the 650 would be even more expensive to feed (in my hands, anyway) and the added power - while extremely fun - was not practical for off-road, and not needed for a guy my size riding solo. I always wondered just how much difference it would have made. Aside from the obvious power difference, what do you remember about the differences between the two?

I feel your pain, dual sports are always compromise bikes. With the exception of the new KTM 520, I think I have the best Dual Sport ever made; but it's not without it's issues...KTM's just lack the reliability of the Japanese bikes. But they do have performance.

The KLX-650 was Kawasaki's attempt to make a bike like the KLR more dirt worthy, and they succeeded. The KLX has a completely different frame and suspension. It's a steel box tube perimeter frame, inverted forks, and a gas charged rear uni-track with more travel. Much the same suspension as you'd find on the KX motorcrossers of that era (mine's a '94). Horsepower was upped by 6 HP. 20 years later, it will still eat up any Japanese Dual Sport on or off road.

On road it actually handles better than the KLR, again, thanks to the much stiffer frame and beefed up suspension.

BUTT...The perimeter frame means it will only hold 3.1 gallons of fuel, which means you're filling up at around 100 miles every time. And since it's road worthy, it's geared a bit too tall for serious off road riding.

Still, I think the Japanese bike makers ought to be ashamed of themselves that a 20 year old Kawi will still out-do anything in the single cylinder thumper category they produce now.

The KLR, XR & DR's are essentially the same bikes that Kawi, Honda, and Suzuki were making 25 years ago...Time to get with the program.

Yamaha has the WR 250 which is a truly updated Dual Sport and very capable. It has a perimeter aluminum box section frame, inverted forks and MX rear suspension. Not to mention that magnificent YZ 250 engine...But it's a 250, not a 450.
Kevin, the demise of the once booming dual-sport class is certainly a bit depressing to me. The buying public just doesn't seem to be all that keen on the class - so the producers aren't putting money into R&D for them, and the options available are painfully limited. At a time when I was really wanting to upgrade my ride, there was actually nothing in the new market to satisfy me. It really is a shame, when you think of what the DS bike with today's technology could be.

If I ever get seriously back into riding, it will likely be on another big-bore DS single.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/24/14
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by KFWA
[Linked Image]

I'd wager that a lot of us began our motorbike riding career on one of those. smile
You may have guessed that I am partial to Yamahas. A good friend of mine's parents owned the local Yamaha shop. They tended to give me some really good deals.

The old Virago 750 got a lot of bad press for it's lack of power. But I found that to be one of the most relaxing and comfortable bikes for long-distance riding. Pretty much trouble free (for a time) and great fuel mileage for a 750. Too bad about the starter motor problem they developed with age....
About 6 months ago Consumer Reports released a 3 year study on motorcycle reliability and Yamaha came out #1...which surprised me, I thought it would be Honda (which came out as #2)

Another big surprise, Harley Davidson was above BMW. BMW was well down on the list.

I've been a Yamaha man my whole life, and Yamaha's have been VERY good to me. Just by chance I find myself with two Kawasaki's, and while I'd prefer Yamaha's I have to say both of these Kawi's are very good bikes. My '94 KLX has had a hard life and it just keeps going like the Energizer Bunny.
Posted By: salsola Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/24/14
My first and current ride. '73 CL350. Rebuilt the engine last winter and it runs great. Perfect backroad rambler:

[Linked Image]
Kevin, the demise of the once booming dual-sport class is certainly a bit depressing to me. The buying public just doesn't seem to be all that keen on the class - so the producers aren't putting money into R&D for them, and the options available are painfully limited. At a time when I was really wanting to upgrade my ride, there was actually nothing in the new market to satisfy me. It really is a shame, when you think of what the DS bike with today's technology could be.

If I ever get seriously back into riding, it will likely be on another big-bore DS single.

If Yamaha would just build a street legal WR-450 they'd OWN the single cylinder Dual Sport category. The KTM would still have it a little out-classed, but the KTM doesn't have Yamaha reliability.

Dual Sport bikes are just so much fun. Ride on the road and if you see a dirt trail, then have at it.

My dual sport hasn't been registered for the street in about a decade, but I'll probably break down and change that this year. I'll have to put turn signals back on it, and fix the tail light. And get some dual sport tires, right now it's just pure knobby; those can be a little more exciting than I prefer on wet pavement.

About 6 months ago Consumer Reports released a 3 year study on motorcycle reliability and Yamaha came out #1...which surprised me, I thought it would be Honda (which came out as #2)

Another big surprise, Harley Davidson was above BMW. BMW was well down on the list.

I've been a Yamaha man my whole life, and Yamaha's have been VERY good to me. Just by chance I find myself with two Kawasaki's, and while I'd prefer Yamaha's I have to say both of these Kawi's are very good bikes. My '94 KLX has had a hard life and it just keeps going like the Energizer Bunny.

My experience is that there probably isn't much of a spread between #1 and #2. Harley over BMW - that is a surprise. I wonder what happened.....

If Yamaha would just build a street legal WR-450 they'd OWN the single cylinder Dual Sport category. The KTM would still have it a little out-classed, but the KTM doesn't have Yamaha reliability.

Dual Sport bikes are just so much fun. Ride on the road and if you see a dirt trail, then have at it....

Agreed!
Originally Posted by salsola
My first and current ride. '73 CL350. Rebuilt the engine last winter and it runs great. Perfect backroad rambler:

[Linked Image]

Salsola, I had one of those. My very first DP bike, in fact. It was a great bike and I enjoyed every minute on it. Nice to see one in such good shape! Same color as mine, btw.

The old Virago 750 got a lot of bad press for it's lack of power. Pretty much trouble free (for a time) and great fuel mileage for a 750. Too bad about the starter motor problem they developed with age....

That's what happened to mine. My favorite old bike was a 250 Yamaha Enduro that I had engine work done on...it gave the Huskys a run for their money & was street legal. I took that bike on many a weekend trip to the hills...my next favorite was my Honda Elsinore...
[Linked Image]

I'd wager that a lot of us began our motorbike riding career on one of those. smile

look at #3 and #4 with those fixed footpegs upfront. You'd be leaning around a corner and those things would dig in and spin you around like a tea cup ride

[Linked Image]
That's just so sweet!!
My experience is that there probably isn't much of a spread between #1 and #2. Harley over BMW - that is a surprise. I wonder what happened.....
Just my .02...

Just like the German cars, they're going so heavy into technology that reliability is suffering greatly. The Consumer Reports study said that 1 out of 3 BMW owners can expect a major repair in 3 years. 1 in 4 for Harley.

The least reliable of the Japanese bikes was Suzuki and they were 1 in 10.

The thing is, with BMW or any of the Japanese bikes, if you do have a major repair, it's going to cost big time. My one real complaint with Japanese bikes is the cost of parts.

Harley prices for parts are much lower. Since both my Kawi's share the same carb as the Harley's, I buy all my carb parts from the Harley Davidson dealers.
Glad to see some love for the XR Harleys here. This winter I am HOPING to spend whatever I make from selling my LH Weatherby Mk V Deluxe 300WBY making more changes to my formerly XR883, now a 1200. Goal will be to make it look and hopefully perform a lot like the old XR750's with majorly bobbed fender, dual intakes, Stainless Steel tuned exhauset etc. Main difference being mine will be a big inch motor, and I am not certain how to get the dry weight down to 380lbs. That is quite the diet, but we will do our best. 284luvr from here has sent me the recipe for a streetable, durable, 10 second Sportster motor. Maybe we can get away with over 400lbs with such a beastly powerplant and a larger (16 inch 200 series) rear tire and still have a bike that will run on the big flat track OK. We shall see.

GunGeek, I have been e-mailing with flat track racing legend Joe Kopp. He now owns a flat track North of here a bit and has invited me to throw some C class racing tires on my bike and give it a go up there. My health and size XXL frame make this a difficult proposition, but perhaps YOU would like to take my hot rod around the 1 Mile hard pack track a time or two.... Let me know.

They will have some all day practice days in late spring, and I am hoping to have my bike all dieted down pretty skinny and roaring with about 150HP by then. I just re Dyno'ed it a week ago with the latest mods and we are right at 100 at the crankcase, with pretty mild stuff aboard. I did not go the Turbo route like I was planning to do, yet. Still might.

This bike handles and canyon carves well already. Loads of fun, but I am anxious to see what can be made of it over the winter when we start removing and tossing parts plus re do the motor again, 88 cubic inches style grin
I've been riding a BMW for primary transportation the last four and a half years - no doubt they have their ups and downs, but nothing else I've seen has tempted me enough to swap brands.

I did the club/rally thing in the first couple of years, and got to be around quite a few beemer guys, one thing to take into consideration when hearing complaints from them is most are OCD anal retentive types and will complain to high heaven over even the most nit-picky problems wink

Won't claim they have a lock on it, but I wouldn't be surprised if BMW riders don't put more miles on than most...
I've put an additional 41,000 on mine on top of the 28,000
it had when I got it, and I don't get to ride as much as a lot of them.
Originally Posted by jeffdwhite
I've been riding a BMW for primary transportation the last four and a half years - no doubt they have their ups and downs, but nothing else I've seen has tempted me enough to swap brands.

I did the club/rally thing in the first couple of years, and got to be around quite a few beemer guys, one thing to take into consideration when hearing complaints from them is most are OCD anal retentive types and will complain to high heaven over even the most nit-picky problems wink

Won't claim they have a lock on it, but I wouldn't be surprised if BMW riders don't put more miles on than most...

You make a very valid point. Some types of people, riders etc. are more, shall we say "particular" to be nice, about everything.
Interesting that Suzuki ranked kind of low, that is all Sherri has had so far is three Suzuki's and they heave been terrific so far. And she rides hers a lot, too.

Speaking of all that, I need to hop onto my orange hot rod bike and take some lunch to my asphaltangel.

Originally Posted by safariman
Glad to see some love for the XR Harleys here. This winter I am HOPING to spend whatever I make from selling my LH Weatherby Mk V Deluxe 300WBY making more changes to my formerly XR883, now a 1200. Goal will be to make it look and hopefully perform a lot like the old XR750's with majorly bobbed fender, dual intakes, Stainless Steel tuned exhauset etc. Main difference being mine will be a big inch motor, and I am not certain how to get the dry weight down to 380lbs. That is quite the diet, but we will do our best. 284luvr from here has sent me the recipe for a streetable, durable, 10 second Sportster motor. Maybe we can get away with over 400lbs with such a beastly powerplant and a larger (16 inch 200 series) rear tire and still have a bike that will run on the big flat track OK. We shall see.

GunGeek, I have been e-mailing with flat track racing legend Joe Kopp. He now owns a flat track North of here a bit and has invited me to throw some C class racing tires on my bike and give it a go up there. My health and size XXL frame make this a difficult proposition, but perhaps YOU would like to take my hot rod around the 1 Mile hard pack track a time or two.... Let me know.

They will have some all day practice days in late spring, and I am hoping to have my bike all dieted down pretty skinny and roaring with about 150HP by then. I just re Dyno'ed it a week ago with the latest mods and we are right at 100 at the crankcase, with pretty mild stuff aboard. I did not go the Turbo route like I was planning to do, yet. Still might.

This bike handles and canyon carves well already. Loads of fun, but I am anxious to see what can be made of it over the winter when we start removing and tossing parts plus re do the motor again, 88 cubic inches style grin
You are building such a bad ass bike; I just LOVE it.

380lbs is pretty light for a bike with that kind of HP. 100HP is the perfect bike in my book, and your bike while not in the same class as a GSXR Suzuki, I'm betting is a VERY good handler in the twistys. But then again, your bike looks like a MOTORCYCLE and the GSXR looks like a race bike. And I'll bet you don't have a sore back when you get off of your bike after a long ride.

If you get that bike up to 150 HP, I'm betting you'd actually beat mine in a drag race. Mine is 175 HP, but it's like 530lbs, so I think that would put you at more thrust to weight than my bike. I'm here to tell you, I personally think my bike is over-powered.

I know you do a good deal of drag racing, so maybe the extra HP would be welcome. But I would think that 100HP on that particular bike would be one big bag of fun.

I've never raced on a flat track before...and I'd hate to crash your bike; it's just too pretty. I could put some flat track tires on my KLX-650 to learn how to do the flat track stuff...then maybe.

I did some motocross yesterday. Got tired of a kid on a RM250 eating me up, so I opened up the throttle and gave him the business. But after 3 laps of eating him up, I was whipped...and I think the 16 year old was just warming up. I'm SO sore today...I really showed him!!
Gun Geek, LAFFIN with ya! Just a single day of drag racing, on the days when I feel up to even THAT, whips my butt for days. But in my case there are reasons.

Grinnin about your little motocross experience..... When I lined up against that guy with the Ninja 1100 last Saturday, I had probably a similar grit and drive in my old bod. Adrenaline or SOMETHING at work, I was FOCUSED as I just HAD to beat that Japanese motorcycle! I launched hard, had a .030 reaction time, kept her straight, and shifted while the motor was revving 6,000+RPM without letting off off the fuel, managing a wicked looking wheelie in my shift to second. And after all that, BARELY beat him. I know the feeling!

Lets talk more about this flat track stuff when I come down to have you help me tune up my 10mm. RE flat track racing, If you wait until after I get a Kidney Transplant, you wont get to touch my bike cause I will be ON it!

MARK grin
Originally Posted by jeffdwhite

I think you're right, BMW riders are guys who put serious miles on their bikes. Just look at the mileage on used BMW's, then look at the mileage on the same year anything else.

It's funny, you see more high mileage Harley's and Bimmers than Japanese bikes (one exception is the Gold Wings); even though the Japanese bikes tend to be better put together.

I think the reason for that is style...People buy Japanese bikes to learn enough to get them to a Harley or a BMW. Then they sell their Japanese bikes. So I tend to think the reason you don't see more high mileage Japanese bikes is because they eventually end up in the hands of someone who crashes and totals them. Whereas Harley and BMW riders get that out of their systems before they plunk down for a Harley or BMW.

I'm not into cruiser bikes, but I think Harley's along with being a genuine piece of Americana, are just stunningly beautiful bikes.

BMW's are a joy to ride; they have it all. They perform SO well, the engines are SO smooth and they just make sport-touring such a joy. Their customers expect them to be on the leading edge of technology, and often their on the bleeding edge. But when they're working (which is most of the time), it's one of the nicest rides there are.

Maybe the Bimmers aren't the most reliable, but they're certainly the most desirable. They have THE full touring bike, THE sport tourer, THE adventure bike, and these days, THE full on sport bike. The only market they can't seem to break into is the cruiser / Harley look alike market. They have tried but it hasn't worked out well.
Gun Geek, LAFFIN with ya! Just a single day of drag racing, on the days when I feel up to even THAT, whips my butt for days. But in my case there are reasons.

Grinnin about your little motocross experience..... When I lined up against that guy with the Ninja 1100 last Saturday, I had probably a similar grit and drive in my old bod. Adrenaline or SOMETHING at work, I was FOCUSED as I just HAD to beat that Japanese motorcycle! I launched hard, had a .030 reaction time, kept her straight, and shifted while the motor was revving 6,000+RPM without letting off off the fuel, managing a wicked looking wheelie in my shift to second. And after all that, BARELY beat him. I know the feeling!

Lets talk more about this flat track stuff when I come down to have you help me tune up my 10mm. RE flat track racing, If you wait until after I get a Kidney Transplant, you wont get to touch my bike cause I will be ON it!

MARK grin
I look forward to it Mark; can't wait. I'm prayin for you and that kidney transplant.

MARK grin
I look forward to it Mark; can't wait. I'm prayin for you and that kidney transplant.

Thanks, see you soon. And yes, a 500lb bike with right at 100HP is loads of fun.
One could always get a Honda Shadow and have the best of both worlds - V-twin, classic look plus reliability.

[Linked Image]

Somehow, though, having a "Harrey Davisson" just seems wrong... wink
Harleys are one of those things that I like to look at and appreciate for what they are - but never desired to own one (except for the earlier mentioned custom XR750).

One of my co-workers is a die-hard Harley rider and has been for a long time. He's had some beautiful bikes. He's getting ready to retire now and will be spending a lot more time on the road, and guess what he showed up with recently........a Goldwing. wink
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/24/14
[Linked Image]

Some of us have rediscovered them,..although they've been brought up to speed, so to speak.

My current Mini Bike is a 650, weighs 600 lbs, has a 63" wheel base, is water cooled, fuel injected, has dual pot, triple disc brakes and an electronically controlled CVT.

Just twist and go,...all the way to 110 mph and doesn't waste any time getting there.

Cruises very comfortably at 90.

[Linked Image]
Another bike that intrigued me but I never had was the Honda v-4 Interceptor. I got to see some of those performing at Laguna Seca when they were new, and was very impressed. They also had a sound very much all their own. I still think the in-line v-4 was about the best idea for a road bike motor there ever was.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
[Linked Image]

Some of us have rediscovered them,..although they've been brought up to speed, so to speak.

My current Mini Bike is a 650, weighs 600 lbs, has a 63" wheel base, is water cooled, fuel injected, and has dual pot, triple disc brakes.

Just twist and go,...all the way to 110 mph.

[Linked Image]

The Bergman is a cool concept. I keep thinking it would be very practical, and probably an enjoyable ride.

The Bergman is a cool concept. I keep thinking it would be very practical, and probably an enjoyable ride.

Honestly, they'll spoil conventional motorcycles for you.

They're a hoot!

People don't know what to make of them. They see them and think "scooter",...but the 650 Burgman is an ergonomic, middleweight, long distance touring machine that handles like a sport bike.

My other bike is prettier, but the 650 Burgman is for "riding",...across country even, if you're so inclined.

[Linked Image]

One could always get a Honda Shadow and have the best of both worlds - V-twin, classic look plus reliability.

[Linked Image]

The Honda Shadow has one of the best V-Twin engines ever built. And it's a very nice bike. But it's not as pretty as a Harley (and let's face it, nothing is). But the Shadow is a very good bike.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/24/14
How's that fairing working out for you, B ?

[Linked Image]

The Honda Shadow has one of the best V-Twin engines ever built. And it's a very nice bike. But it's not as pretty as a Harley (and let's face it, nothing is). But the Shadow is a very good bike.

I have a Shadow as well. Its everything you'd want in a civilized v-twin, but it has no soul

[Linked Image]
It pokes a hole in the wind and takes it off of much of my torso,..keeps me from having to fight against it so much.

The wind coming off the top of it is compressed, obviously, and catches me at about eye level, but I've never been too bothered by wind in my face.

All in all, it does what I wanted it to do.

My current Mini Bike is a 650, weighs 600 lbs, has a 63" wheel base, is water cooled, fuel injected, has dual pot, triple disc brakes and an electronically controlled CVT.

Just twist and go,...all the way to 110 mph and doesn't waste any time getting there.

They have come a LONG way, haven't they!
Originally Posted by bluesman
1963 Honda Super Hawk, 1964 BSA 441, 250cc JAWA, BMW R25, OSSA Super Pioneer,500cc Ducati, 350cc Bultaco, 350 cc Husquavarna, but the Super Hawk was retired with 204,000 miles in 1971.

Terry

my dad wouldnt let me have a super hawk at the time, thought i would kill myself onit, so i ended up with a dream. And two years in and out of the hospital due to getting hit by an illegal mexican.

[Linked Image]
I had one of those, was a lot of fun, and they just run forever.

I have three of those honda trail bikes sitting in my yard for restoration if i ever do it, the earliest is a 1962 or 63, had the duel rear sprocket, no transfer lever.

[Linked Image]

one of the better ones ever made, I had the cl version with the upswept exhaust pipes. Sold it to get a house when i got married.
wanted another one ever since.
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Tom
I put water once in the crankcase because the oil was low. I was also an abusive teen on my first bike. A 69 honda 90 in Canary yellow.

[Linked Image]

that bike, but a little earlier, is sitting beside my house right now for restoration.

From what I remember the XT350 was quite a bit lighter and handled better but did not have as much suspension travel as the XT650. The 650 was very torky. Not much shifting required which was useful on the loose, steep grades.

I guess if the 350 had a bit more suspension I would have preferred it. As it was, I kinda liked the 650 better.

John

[Linked Image]

that is the bike i had, loved the darn thing.
this has been a cool thread to read through! yall are more fun than I thought. I love seeing those older 70's era bikes in restored used condition. smile

78 Suzuki JR 50 (my introduction, at 5 YO)
80 XR250
83 IT 250 Yamaha (loved this one)

then

83 Virago 500 (slow, but good intro to street bikes)
82 Suzuki GS 750E
80 Suz GS 550L
84 Kawi voyager 1300 (I was 21 at the time, but it had tons of storage and a damned radio!)
91 Suz Katana 750
95 Honda VFR 750
95 Magna 750
97 Honda Valkyrie 1500 (piled this one up in an Arkansas corner)
05 BMW R1200c (loved the looks, but hated the ride)

presently bikeless. too damned responsible with two kids, and perpetual fear of the minivan operator updating her fakebook status while turning left in front of me!
oh... the one I loved, for certain was that VFR 750. I swear I felt like I could take that thing anywhere, and put the tires wherever I wanted to. Awesome control and deliverable power.
Billy Goat,

I was mostly bikeless when I was raising my three, as well. Good on ya as I hope MY son, with three kidlets at home stays off of these damned things too! You are right about the distracted car operator being the one who is most likely to hurt us. Get back on when the kids are grown, but by then I will probably have sold my hot rod and finally be on a Dyna or somesuch.
Posted By: colodog Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/24/14

[Linked Image]

That's my current bike exactly!
As for Hondas . . . when I was in High School, this was the pecking order, from least to greatest . . .

[Linked Image]

150cc Dream (This was big time when I was in the7th grade, back when Jr. High and high school was in the same bldg. The "rich kids" had these)

[Linked Image]
The next step up (for regular guys) was the 350 gallery.

The CB750 was the ultimate machine, but only for the top class "tough guys"
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
But Honda had a strong competitor . . . the Kawasaki 750. This bike was more rare in the high school parking lot, but the pretty girls gravitated to the riders of this up and coming machine.

[Linked Image]

Basically a Sportster with a Stortz kit! Don't think they make it anymore - I agree, a really neat bike!

[Linked Image]

You suck!

Seriously, I love that MC. Best factory ride out there, IMO.

I could not, and can not afford one of those, but slowly my bike is becoming more and more like it. AWESOME!

Now, go out and RACE that thing like it was bred to do!
Honda CBX and the sound of the 6 cyl was like a Ferrari.
(snip)

[Linked Image]
But Honda had a strong competitor . . . the Kawasaki 750. This bike was more rare in the high school parking lot, but the pretty girls gravitated to the riders of this up and coming machine.

750 triples are bad azz! Too bad the suspension and breaks weren't quite up to the power of the engines.

I saw a restored one on the back of a truck the other night, too bad I didn't manage to get a pic.

Mixing the old and the new can also be cool

[Linked Image]
Looking back, I wish I had given this 2002 Triumph Sprint RS a better chance.

It was a tall, rangy sport touring bike with 120 BHP, yet only weighed 440 lbs (dry),...which allowed it to reach speeds in excess of 150 mph.

After I swapped out the handlebars with a pair from a Sprint ST it had a reasonable riding position.

Excellent, very neutral handling characteristics. It wasn't as flickable as a 600cc sport machine, but it would roll into a curve and hold the line with hardly any input until you lifted it up out of it,...very smooth.

It had one very bad habit that made me sell it.

Those big Nissan dual disc brakes on the front would lock the front wheel up at the first hint of anything remotely resembling an emergency stop.

You had to be very careful applying them.

I came very close to crashing it twice because of that.

A friend wanted the bike and I sold it to him at a bargain price after informing him of the situation.

At the time, I thought that the braking situation was just the nature of the beast, but now I think it was a flaw that could have been remedied.

I'd like to find a nice, low mileage example floating around for a good price.

I'd give it another try.

[Linked Image]
1974 Honda CB 750 Four was a great bike. Similar to this one. I loved the sound of the four cylinders perfectly tuned and synchronized. I had aftermarket exhaust, and chicks loved the vibration of the engine! wink

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/25/14
Not my first bike, but my second was my favorite: '69 Kawasaki 500 triple. Crummy brakes (who needs 'em at that age?), crummy suspension, but twist the throttle and Katie bar the door!!! I had it for three years in the Philippines and boys, I had some real adventures on that bike.
This has to be one of the best, most fun threads here, ever. The trips down memory lane and pics of way cool rides new and old.... Totally diggin it and soaking it all in.
Posted By: colodog Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/25/14
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

Here you go Butch!
[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=39JM42N7_cc[/video]
Mark, your right, fun thread!
colodog,

I am a Harley guy as is well known, but that 6Cyl Honda DID sound pretty wild. Kind of like a road race car.

That poor guy lives WAY too deep into the suburbs, though. Long video and he never got to open it up. I would go NUTS if I had to ride that far to let my ponies run.
2002 CBR 954RR

[Linked Image]

2008 KLR 685 with a hefty amount of upgrades....

Death Vally Daze 2012
[Linked Image]
[img]http://s670.photobucket.com/user/robertham1/media/Death%20Valley%20Daze%202010/MVI_0471.mp4.html[/img]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I've loved them all. Partial list.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/Auto%20and%20bike/1000R.jpg[/img]
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/25/14
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

Here you go Butch!
[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=39JM42N7_cc[/video]
Mark, your right, fun thread!

Nice. Too bad he never really opened it up though. That screamin' 6 was musical at high rpm. Whoop!

There was one guy in my town that had one, and he would let 'er rip from time to time. Unmistakable.
Originally Posted by robertham1
2002 CBR 954RR

[Linked Image]

Death Vally Daze 2012
[Linked Image]
[img]http://s670.photobucket.com/user/robertham1/media/Death%20Valley%20Daze%202010/MVI_0471.mp4.html[/img]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Those KLR's are amazing machines, aren't they!? After being off of MC's during my child raising years, I started back up with a much used and faded KLR650 myself. Had loads of fun on it and re learned how to ride. Tried it on a couple of really tough or 'technical' dirt bike trails and learned quickly that it was far too heavy for that work. Still, for an all around bike, capable of many things, it was a really good one. Kind of a "Jack of all trades, master of none" motorcycle. Birwatcher has put PILES of miles on his.

What modifications did you do? All I did to mine was lower it an inch and a half with a dog bone bar in the suspension. That made the bike handle better on freeways and in the wind, plus a LOT easier for this stoved up over 50 guy to swing a leg over!
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
(snip)

[Linked Image]

750 triples are bad azz! Too bad the suspension and breaks weren't quite up to the power of the engines.

I saw a restored one on the back of a truck the other night, too bad I didn't manage to get a pic.

Mixing the old and the new can also be cool

[Linked Image]

The Kaw triples were awesome motors, but the frame/suspension was evil. Back when I was street racing my RD (streets were deserted at night here, kids. Don't try this now!), there was this guy from Owyhee county who had stripped the extra weight off his 750 triple and added all the goodies. Expansion chamber pipes, Boysen reeds, K&N intake, etc. Friends had seen him around and told me about it. It still handled bad, but it was a rocket on a straight. The two of us met up on the three-lane heading out of town one night, and I recognized right off that I was about to lose a race. Had to egg him on though, just to see it go. The sound, the rush, the disappearing bike......almost made me giddy!
FreeMe,

You are a very good story teller! Had us all right there with you at the RD vs Kawi race that evening.

I need to test ride a triple some day. Looks like a whole bunch of fun there.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/25/14

Okay, I've always wanted to talk to an XR1200 owner. What's your thoughts on that bike? Looks like a chit load of fun!!
Originally Posted by Billy_Goat
oh... the one I loved, for certain was that VFR 750. I swear I felt like I could take that thing anywhere, and put the tires wherever I wanted to. Awesome control and deliverable power.
When the Interceptor came out, I got a good dose of how much technology improved sport bikes.

On a windy road, I had NEVER been beat on my Seca 550. In fact, I ate up bikes of every size, from RD400's to GS1150ES'. Road racing is what I did, I could put a knee down through the corners and most others couldn't.

So when the Interceptor came (father of the VFR) it was a completely different bike. Box section perimeter frame, smaller and wider front tire, wider rear tire, better suspension with more ground clearance.

I was on hwy 193 in the Sierra's in California and I was working it. I was knee down in a corner pushing it about as hard as it could be pushed and an Interceptor passed me IN A CORNER like I was standing still. I came out of that corner and gave it everything I had through the rest of the corners and he just steadily disappeared.

That's the day I realized that sport bikes had made a HUGE technological leap and it was a whole new game.

[Linked Image]
But Honda had a strong competitor . . . the Kawasaki 750.

That was the widowmaker!! That was SUCH a dangerous bike. It had far more power than the chassis could ever handle. In a straight line it was an E-Ticket ride. But it didn't have sufficient braking or cornering ability to keep you alive in the twisties. Especially when you started accelerating through the corners, and managed to hit the power band, it would transfer too much weight to the rear tire, from the already too light front end and you'd have a low side crash every time.

But in a straight line, that was one bad hombre. And I always LOVED the sound of a 2 stroke triple; jut bad azz.
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
You sir, are a man with very fine taste in Japanese motorcycles. What a fantastic list.

[Linked Image]

That was the widowmaker!! That was SUCH a dangerous bike. It had far more power than the chassis could ever handle. In a straight line it was an E-Ticket ride. But it didn't have sufficient braking or cornering ability to keep you alive in the twisties. Especially when you started accelerating through the corners, and managed to hit the power band, it would transfer too much weight to the rear tire, from the already too light front end and you'd have a low side crash every time.

But in a straight line, that was one bad hombre. And I always LOVED the sound of a 2 stroke triple; jut bad azz.

Back in the day these bikes were raced in a straight line, from stop light to stop light. Bragging rights started to shift from the Honda's to the Kawa's.

[Linked Image]

Back in the day these bikes were raced in a straight line, from stop light to stop light. Bragging rights started to shift from the Honda's to the Kawa's.
In the early to mid '70's the ONLY thing that would beat the 750 triple in a straight line was the Kawi Z1-900/KZ900, and not every time even then. The 750 triple OWNED the stoplight racing world.
It would be a hoot to get ahold of one of these and run it at our local drag strip. You can run about anything here, so long as it is safe (not leaking, good brakes and tires etc) and you are wearing the proper safety gear. Helmet for the car guys and full coverage Leather or Kevlar with a newer helmet, gloves and boots for us few MC guys.

It seems like a good number of MC riders I have talked to do not like the idea of lining up just a few feet away from a supercharged, wound tight, drag racing car running slicks etc. I find it an amazing rush. Especially when I win! (about 1/2 the time)
Originally Posted by robertham1
2002 CBR 954RR

[Linked Image]

Death Vally Daze 2012
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Those KLR's are amazing machines, aren't they!? After being off of MC's during my child raising years, I started back up with a much used and faded KLR650 myself. Had loads of fun on it and re learned how to ride. Tried it on a couple of really tough or 'technical' dirt bike trails and learned quickly that it was far too heavy for that work. Still, for an all around bike, capable of many things, it was a really good one. Kind of a "Jack of all trades, master of none" motorcycle. Birwatcher has put PILES of miles on his.

What modifications did you do? All I did to mine was lower it an inch and a half with a dog bone bar in the suspension. That made the bike handle better on freeways and in the wind, plus a LOT easier for this stoved up over 50 guy to swing a leg over!

Doohicky, 685cc piston, auxiliary lights, eagle mike raising links, seat, radiator bypass(thermobob) air horn, fork brace,Handle bars, happy trails pannier racks in rear and fairing guards in front, 14/16 front sprocket- depending on whats going on, pelican case on the rear. Exhaust baffle drilled out. Airbox drilled and desnorkled, carb shimmed and jetted. PVC valve added- not sure that did anything.

I think thats it?
IIRC, the trick to really getting off the line with the Kaw 750 triple was changing out the swingarm to a longer one from Cal Fab or the like. That still didn't make a canyon carver out of it.
Putting a slightly longer Cal Fab swingarm and Fox Shox on the RD was The Bomb though.
robertlatham1

Wow, that is one cool set up and ride! Pretty snappy now? My KLR650 was torquey but not quick, really.

I know all about needing the other lights, for sure! I tried to ride my KLR on an unlit mountain gravel road one night. Went about 400 yards, tried to make two "blank and dark" totally blind turns and headed back for the campsite!

Can you now see to the sides a bit when riding late? Frame mounted headlight was one of the few engineering mistakes I thing that Kawi made on that otherwise great bike, plus needing the doohicky for the valve train.
Posted By: prm Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/25/14
This one was fun too.

[Linked Image]
I still have my KZ750E1. Has 68,000 or so on the clock, has been tossed at least seven times, hopped up the suspension every time I bent the parts beyond repair.
I took a scope and looked at the upper end internals at 60,000 miles and everything was still tight and beautiful, compression perfect. Did oil spectro twice and no changes in 20,000 miles.
Ran perfect up until the spark went away, a thousand bucks worth of parts for a $600 bike in running condition. I really need to ante up the money for SPARK.
It was a great rat bike. Nothing flashy, all the money went into suspension and tires. Reliable as a rock until the ignition electronics turned to slag.
Originally Posted by prm
This one was fun too.

[Linked Image]
Yep, that's the one that kicked my arse on that canyon road. That was a bad hombre when it came out. It was by far the best handling bike until Suzuki came out with the GSX-R.

I always thought the Interceptor was a great looking bike.
Posted By: prm Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/25/14
I loved the look of that bike. Ever since I saw a picture of Freddy Spenser's race version I always had wanted one.
Posted By: colodog Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/25/14

Okay, I've always wanted to talk to an XR1200 owner. What's your thoughts on that bike? Looks like a chit load of fun!!

My XR is bone stock except for tires and my previous bike was a ZRX1200R so it's apples and cumquats to compare.
The Kawi was fast enough I was going to get hurt or go to jail and the riding posture fit me like a glove.
I let the Kawi go as the survivability on the XR1200 is much better because it's slow by comparison.
The Harley torque is fun and it does run hard to 90 or so but runs out of breath on the highway(wishing for another gear).
In the mountains it's a blast, wide bars, good firm suspension, excellent brakes compared to any other Harley, comfortable seat and riding posture for 1up riding.
I can't keep up with the kids on crotch rockets in the twisties but I'm having more fun and am not speeding as much as I was with the Z. The XR handles twisties better than the Z at least for me. It's a fun bike.
I'm tempted to get aftermarket exhaust but would need a fuel tuner as well to adjust the fuel injection mix. I'll see how bored I am this winter!!
The XR is a damn cool bike, but I don't think I could give up a ZXR 1200 for an XR...I just drool over the ZXR's. But I know what you mean about the speed. My ZZR is 175HP of CRAZY fast. I really have to be careful not to twist that throttle too much. So I totally understand where you're coming from there. If they boosted the HP up to around 95-100 and added another gear, I'll bet the XR would be perfect. As it is, it still looks like a whole lot of fun. And good looking, at least I think so.
I have 100HP at the crankshaft, and I want MORE! Always.... MORE crazy

But you are correct that a 100HP Sport/Road Race/Flat tracker wannabe type Sportster is loads of fun and really fast enough for most.

Good power, good handling, GREAT sounding, a head turner and conversation starter as well.

In between my last post here and this one, I was shopping fat tire upgrade kits for Sporsters. Adding a 16 inch 240 tire at the rear and a 16 inch 200 out front should make the bike even more fun.
colodog,

If you tire of your bike and want to go back to the ZXR's or such please let me know. That is one fine ride you have there.
Posted By: colodog Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/26/14
Safariman your mail box is full! Send me a pm with e-mail.
You sir, are a man with very fine taste in Japanese motorcycles. What a fantastic list.

Hey, thanks. Check this out. Was in an ADAP the other day and a kid pulls up on it. We got to talking, and found that we had similar tastes. Built it in his apartment over the winter. Wanna' take a guess as to the powerplant?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/26/14
850 suzuki
Good guess, B. 550 Suzuki, wearing Wonder Woman brand muffler. I asked him how many tickets he's gotten for the pipes. He said that he'd gotten none yet; when he sees JL, he goes reeeaaal easy on the hammer. wink
Tickets for loud pipes is a foreign concept around here.

They have come a LONG way, haven't they!

Indeed. I see these all the time in Tokyo; they're more popular than motorcycles now, by far, if I'm not mistaken. Yo B, when are you gonna' get on to customizing yours? wink

lol,...my custom touches aren't so obvious.

So far, they consist of a Corbin seat, some SKF wheel bearings, and an improved primary spline adapter.
Tickets for loud pipes is a foreign concept around here.

Must be nice. You runnin' straight pipes on your HD?
nah,..straight pipes are obnoxious and do nothing but make noise.

A 2 into 1 header is the way to go on a big twin. They're loud also, but they're making additional torque as well as noise.

As soon as I feel like dropping $600, I'm going to put a Bassani unit on my bike.
,...much nicer tone than duals

Sounds pretty good, indeed! Straight pipes are not good for performance, your ears, or neihgbor relations! Serve no good purpose that I know of.

When I turbocharge my bike (hopefully soon) I will allow the turbo unit (2 into one, of course) to be the only muffling or backpressure the pipes have and see how it dyno's out. then throw a little more backpressure with a temprary (maybe) small supertrap hung onto the end and see what happens to the torque and HP curve with another couple of Dyno runs.
Safariman your mail box is full! Send me a pm with e-mail.

PM sent, with various contact info.
Sounds very nice.
Where to begin.
First bike back in 1977 was a 72 or so Yamaha 350 R5, predecessor to the RD series.
77 KZ650C, followed by 30 or so more bikes over the years.
Most liked, my current 2004 Yamaha YZF R1, followed by the 1985 Suzuki 500 Gamma 2 stroke square 4 engine.
Had a few FZ 750's and a few FZR 1000' Yamaha's also that I liked a lot.
Originally Posted by Jim the Plumber
Where to begin.
First bike back in 1977 was a 72 or so Yamaha 350 R5, predecessor to the RD series.
Most liked, my current 2004 Yamaha YZF R1, followed by the 1985 Suzuki 500 Gamma 2 stroke square 4 engine.

YOU OWN A RG 500?
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Motorcycles you have loved - 07/26/14
I really wish I never let this one go..

[Linked Image]
Nighthawk? Looks like a S type. Maybe '85?
Originally Posted by Barkoff
I really wish I never let this one go..

[Linked Image]

Not a Honda guy at all, but I have to (grudgingly.... smile ) admit that bike you posted up is SHARP lookin! And looks to be a pretty good handling, fun all arounder.
Where to begin.

YOU OWN A RG 500?
HAHAHAHA!!!!! THAT one sure got your attention!!!! Mine too. Old two stroker from the 70's, here....
Originally Posted by benchman

YOU OWN A RG 500?
HAHAHAHA!!!!! THAT one sure got your attention!!!! Mine too. Old two stroker from the 70's, here.... [/quote]

lol smile Two smokers are an odd lot.

Funny, but I came very close to buying an all original 750 Water Buffalo a couple weeks ago, but with the boat stuff, just couldn't. There are only 4 or 5 bikes that I still get all giddy about, and still actively, if casually, search for. '77-'80 KZ 1000/Z1R, '86 GSX-R 1100 and either a RZ500 or preferably a RGV 500 Gamma. I was 5 hours too late when I called about a RZ 500, only an hour away in RI, last year. One of these days before I fade away I *will* own one of the liquid cooled 500 two strokes.

Do you think that will be before or after you harpoon a giant bluefin tuna from the nose of a boat?

It is VERY good to have dreams! Without them, we are slowly perishing though we continue to breathe and eat.

Two smokers sounds like a guy with a tobacco cig in one corner of his mount and a blunt in the other.

Did you perhaps mean to STROKERS? Not being a smartazz, just never heard the term two smokers in relation to MC's. Maybe a Nor'east term?
I was 13 years old when my mom bought me my (new in the crate) 1987 Honda XL 600. It's still at my parents house and I still dream that it's running again..
Do you think that will be before or after you harpoon a giant bluefin tuna from the nose of a boat?

It is VERY good to have dreams! Without them, we are slowly perishing though we continue to breathe and eat.

Two smokers sounds like a guy with a tobacco cig in one corner of his mount and a blunt in the other.

Did you perhaps mean to STROKERS? Not being a smartazz, just never heard the term two smokers in relation to MC's. Maybe a Nor'east term?

I don't struggle when it comes to spelling. It's a common term in 2 stroke circles, and a play on words. If you know anything about 2 strokes, you would know they generally emit copious blue smoke.

http://www.pinterest.com/superdave522/2-smokers/

Hey, I learned something. Never heard that term, so thanks. I have had very few (2)2 stroke bikes.

Speaking of spelling, I am still awaiting a reply to my PM's to you about my mis spell error that was mis read and mis characterized. The courtesy of a reply would be much appreciated, and in the best taste. Thank you in advance.

I was and am being quite serious about hoping and rooting FOR you to get that Tuna with a harpoon and one or more of your short list bikes.

I only have one short list bike, and am building it as I can afford to. 3 years so far, probably 1 or two more to go.

Where to begin.

YOU OWN A RG 500?

LOL, I had one for a couple 3 years. One that I wished I was able to keep. In those days it was one bike at a time.
I've had a love affair with the 2 stroke street bikes. Had several RD350's and RD400's. And of course the RG500, which was the ultimate 2 stroke road bike.
Just got back form a rather quick 101 mile round trip on my 2004 R1.
I've gotta say the maddening rush to the 13750 RPM red line with it's top end power bias makes up for not having 2 stroke.
On my return leg of the trip I had a 'sedan' pass me with gusto. I, ....., returned the favor in spectacular fashion that made my day and I'm sure one they will never forget :-)
( we were the only 2 on the road for literately miles in either direction.)
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h427/JimthePlumber17/goingfast054_zps799dce8e.jpg

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h427/JimthePlumber17/IMG_20140727_240814564_zps372f602c.jpg
[Linked Image]

I hate you. You didn't deserve the RG either. What kind of colossal dumbass, one with a DREAM bike, one that is practically the holy grail of street legal, 2 stroke super high performance bikes that could be raced right out of the bloody crate, one that will stand right up in a one-wheeled salute in 3 gears with the throttle alone with almost no effort, will instead be riding around wheelie-ing the wrong tire?!?

ARGGGGHHHHHHHHH!

wink

Your story is fun. I have a buddy who is an ex-biker, a dedicated old school outlaw HD type, who tells a story about he and three buddies on their way back to the Bean from FL on their scooters some time in the late '80s. It seems that some cat on a decked out rice burner cruised up to the group in the travel lane, and waved. My bud Driftwood and his mob, traveling in unison at better than a hundred, all flipped off the guy on the burner.

Said solo rider apparently fell back behind the four as the biker boys rode two abreast, one pair following the other. Seconds later, solo rider splits both pairs with his machine screaming like a banshee, in a monster wheelie. Drifty swears that the solo guy was going 140+, and accelerating. As he pulled away he lifted his left hand, and without missing a beat or turning around, flipped the bird at the HD bad boys.

Every now and again when we'd ride together, me astride my '87 ZX-10/GpZ 1000/Ninja 1000R and him on one of his many HDs, when the opportunity presented itself, I'd drop back behind him on a straight section and stand the bike up and power past him. I'm not nearly as skilled or brave as to try one-handing a wheelie, so instead I'd bellow "FUGG YOU!" as I went by, the Vance & Hines pipe screaming. wink We had a lot of fun.

Edit: pics of the actual two bikes I spoke of above.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Note the sign where I parked at (this place):

[Linked Image]

wink

JTP, did I mention that I hate you?
The courtesy of a reply would be much appreciated, and in the best taste.

Wait, did you just offer that your standard of good taste compels me to do as you say?

Apologies, but you'll have to pardon me while I heartily guffaw.

JTP, did I mention that I hate you?

LOL, Damn, that vid sure brings back fond memories.
Great stories for sure, and I know you and I both have a ton of great stories/ times on the bikes.
The RG 500 picture is hanging in my office so I snapped a picture to post last night. cool
I'm sure, bud. smile
© 24hourcampfire