Home
Just curious how many folks still wear a wrist watch. I have carried a pager or cell phone for work for the past 20 years and use them to keep track of time. I have a watch I wear when I'm on vacation in the boondocks where I have no cell phone coverage. Otherwise, I have not worn a watch for many years.
$600 to clean my Rolex. To heck with it.
have one on the barrel of my Zeiss Classics

have an Eco??? something or other that the staff got me in a drawer somewhere.

don't wear jewelry of any sort

Yep, still wear one. Probably from getting my butt beat as a kid for not being home in time for dinner trained me to wear one and look at it.
i always do
Collect vintage quality watches & pocket watches. Wear the wrist watches for dress and to keep them running. GW
Stopped wearing a watch in the Navy over 35 years ago. It didn't go too well with electronics and wasn't worth the hassle. There always seemed to be wall clock nearby anyway. After that, I just never got into the habit. I think about it once in a while, but I'm retired now so time doesn't matter like it used to.
As a younger man I don't habitually wear a watch. If I'm wearing a suit I wear my only and only watch.

Cell phone is more accurate anyway
I used to daily. Not very often nowadays.
I have never worn a watch. For the past thirty years I have always had a company provided device that offered time.
I wear an Ironman watch everyday.
I wear my watch and my wedding band, no other "jewelry". Feel nekkid without a watch.
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I wear my watch and my wedding band, no other "jewelry". Feel nekkid without a watch.

Same here. I can't remember not having a watch on my wrist.
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

Yep.

Been wearing ironman's for about 15 yrs now. At least it seems that long.
A big part of my job Is getting 1 minute flow rates so I always have my watch.
Can't remember NOT wearing one...

Got to keep track of time spent on various jobs at work and don't think my IPhone would last too long at my job...

ETA: That's also why I never buy expensive watches. Don't mind if a $20 watch breaks or gets scratched...
Engineer in a food plant. No jewelry allowed of any kind. Feel neked without a pocket knife though.
Took mine off the day I graduated college. Haven't worn one since.
Wearing one and counter balance to keep me from pulling to the right is all my left arm is good for.
I always wear a watch and refer to it often. Currently, a Seiko low-profile, water-resistant, quartz/stainless with black dial and rubber strap. Something I picked up long ago in Saint Thomas. The date function stopped working but it still keeps accurate time, so I won't spend any money on it.
Casio g-shock. It keeps accurate by connecting with the atomic clock, solar powered, and more features than I need. I've been a fan of casios since I was a teen.
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
As a younger man I don't habitually wear a watch. If I'm wearing a suit I wear my only and only watch.

That is SOOOO metro-fugging-sexual.

I wear a man's watch, a Seiko dive watch.
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Don't you wish, you knew how to use it..
Not me.
I wear an Orient USA Mako, with Zulu band. Orient is a cheaper subsidiary of Seiko from what I've been told. Mako being the cheaper equivalent of the Diver

Can't stand not wearing it.
I wear a watch to work, shopping, church, and most places. I think the only time I don't like to wear one is when we are riding our motorcycles or camping. My favorite watch is a Fossil with a light brown leather strap and silver markings. I purchased it when Mark and I were in Germany. I probably wear my white Ironman watch the most during the summer and in hot weather. I used to buy the Ironman 50 lap watch to use for marathon training and racing, but these days I mostly use it to keep track with how many times I make it around a high school track...not for how fast I am going. LOL.

I could read the time on my smart phone, but I would rather take a quick glance at my wrist that pull out my phone. My employer requires me to keep track of when and how long it takes me to do medication monitoring with each client, duration of events, travel time, how much time is spent documenting vs. time with my clients, etc. etc.

Luminox , have 4or5.
I wear one most of the time. The Casio Forester Illuminator I have looks good to me and is light weight and not a problem.

They cost only about $29 so no worry about repairs etc.

[Linked Image]

I prefer to wear a watch and leave the cell phone behind!

I was working with a young engineer and he whipped out his TI calculator to check the time. A cell phone is only slightly less geeky.

I wear a watch. On special occasions I use my Grandfather's 1909 Hamilton railroad pocket watch.
Im always reaching back in behind stuff. I have replaced 3 idle air control valves just this week on Fords. Can't deal with getting my arm hung up behind something.

Also, the band gets all grunge and smells like total ass.

Mehhhh, watches are for slackers and retired pew warmers.
I never wore a watch, do not have a cell phone, and never carry a wallet. Only thing you can shake off me is a knife, would feel naked without it.
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
don't wear jewelry of any sort

A watch is the only jewelry I wear.

It's a beautiful $25 black resin Casio illuminator. wink
I carry a Casio Tide Graph during the warmer months and in the fall as it tells the moon fazes as well as the tide times. I'm subject to hit the salt water on an incoming..

Can't see myself ever wearing a watch again..
Originally Posted by eyeball

That's a lot......Is that price from Rolex in NY ?
Originally Posted by RDFinn

That's a lot......Is that price from Rolex in NY ?

15 yrs ago you could BUY a Seiko dive watch for what a cleaning cost for a Rolex Submariner.
Actually, the Submariner most of the time is cheaper to clean because, unless the crystal is broken, they can reuse it and still certify it after the cleaning. If you have a model that doesn't have the harder crystal, then that adds quite a bit to the cleaning price because you're buying a new one each time.
I'm rather pretty much a nut when it comes to accurate time. I collect watches. At the moment i'm wearing an old Wenger quartz chronometer they no longer make since Swatch bought them. It's a 26 jewel super accurate. I also have an automatic Wenger day date chronometer that has a Valjoux 7750 movement. Most of my watches are now quartz as I got tired of the winders and service of the automatics and the quartz keep much better time. My normal daily wearer is a Bell & Ross Marine Professional. I also have a very nice Zodiac and for dress occaisons I like my Gold & SS Rolex OysterQuartz Datejust. I did collect Brietlings,Omegas and Baume & Mercier but got rid of all my mechanicals except the Wenger. I'm just a little paranoid about accurate time. The Wenger I have on has lost 3 seconds in the last 13 months. That's pretty accurate for me. My oldest watch is a pocket watch that was one of the first stem wind watches. It's from London and was brought here by one of my ancestors who owned a shipping company out of Atlanta and he bought it on one of his trips to England. It actually still runs.

I got hit for $360.00 for cleaning my Ollech und Wajs, I now wear a quartz, and when it is done I shall throw it away and purchase another.
[Linked Image]

We start every brief with a time hack from the naval observatory, so a watch is part of the uniform for me. Besides, what else would you shoot with your hands?

Mr. JStuart- Still have the O&W?

Here's mine. Self winder I bought for myself as a graduation present. It looses a few minutes a day now, time for a new spring.

[Linked Image]
With the exception of showers and sleeping I always wear a wrist watch. Have 16 of them. A watch ho.

10 Citizen Eco Drives (3 of which are the radio controlled atomic clock synchronization chronograph versions touted by Citizen as the "worlds most accurate watch" losing 1 second over 20 million years).

1 Ben & Sons (quartz)

2 Invicta (quartz)

1 Swiss Legend Tungsten Pro (quartz)

2 Oakleys

Of the 16, I only use two for range and field use.

Hamilton stainless Automatic everyday,Timex in the yard or woods
I've been wearing a wristwatch daily since the 3rd grade. None of them have been all that expensive. Instead, I found WWV on my Dad's shortwave and started syncing with it starting at age 12. I am probably the only person on here that has organized a Leap-Second party. I know, it's a sorry excuse for a party, but no more so than New Year's, right?

My current two are both Casios. My weekday one is a Time-Ceptor that gets a hack off WWV every night. My weekend watch is a Hunter Timer that gives local sunrise and sunset and moonphase as well as peak game periods. The latter is completely useless, except it did give me over a decade's entertainment proving it so.

Originally Posted by smithwr
A big part of my job Is getting 1 minute flow rates so I always have my watch.
My wife says I have a 1 minute flow rate-I'm calling B.S.-I'm good for AT LEAST TWO!
I got away from wearing a watch about 20 years ago. I was doing a lot of work on optical lab equipment at the time, and I didn't want to get hung up inside a machine. I still have my dad's last Timex and drag it out every once in a while now. I usually pick up a throwaway digital on the way to deer camp and wear it until it craps out and then buy another one the next fall.
I wore a watch all my working life, a Timex (not the same one) and quit the day that I retired. I still put it in my pocket when I am hunting and need to know shooting hours and time of kill, for tags. I had an ink pen one time that had a watch in it that kept the best time of anything that I ever had, and a Timex is good. It also had the date, and knew the lengths of months, and when it was a leap year. It fell in a river and was lost and I never found another. miles
I kinda like watches, and wear one all the time.
Originally Posted by vairboy
[Linked Image]

We start every brief with a time hack from the naval observatory, so a watch is part of the uniform for me. Besides, what else would you shoot with your hands?

THIS. And Rolex overhauls are up to 750 now...
Have not had a watch on for 30 years.
Always wear a watch. Would feel naked without.
I, like some of you, am a watch whore. Not much into other types of jewelry but love watches. Always wanted a Breitling but could never afford it. Now I can and don't want to spend the money. Go figure...
Still may get one anyway.
I'd like to own a Luminox also.
Been thinking about replacing my old Luminox. Can't imagine not wearing a watch. Well, I guess I can, I just don't.
static in my body has killed every watch i ever tried to wear. cheap ones to high priced ,battery or windup. they all died. who needs one with a cell phone that we some how can't live without these days.
Nope, no watch here. I've never been a watch guy. If it's daytime I can tell time within 15 mins, if its night it doesn't matter.

I always wear a watch
Omega Speedmaster as an everyday watch. (worked on the moon - works fine for me!)

My Grandfather's retirement gold Omega (1964 from Graybar Electric) as a special occasion watch

A Timex Expedition for hunting/fishing.
I wear one only due to my volunteer EMS status.

If not for that, cell phone worked fine.
Yep a Cabela's titanium watch. Any other metals cause a rash.
Originally Posted by savage24
Just curious how many folks still wear a wrist watch. I have carried a pager or cell phone for work for the past 20 years and use them to keep track of time. I have a watch I wear when I'm on vacation in the boondocks where I have no cell phone coverage. Otherwise, I have not worn a watch for many years.

I never thought I would be comfortable without a wristwatch, but, I too, now rely on my cell phone, where I can.

donsm70
Still wearing the same Rolex I bought in the Subic Bay Navy Exchange as a 21st birthday gift for myself in 1969.
I still think the old pocket watch is cool.

Same here.
Is the Rolex a 'small pee-pee' thing?

Just asking

laugh
haven't worn one since the 70's.
Trying to get out of the habit.

Steve.

I like pocket watches...

[Linked Image]
My last watch died about five years ago so I thought I'd replace it with a pocket watch. I really like it but being retired I could really give a chit what time it is so I only wear it when I'm hunting or when I go to town (which ain't very often).
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Nope, no watch here. I've never been a watch guy. If it's daytime I can tell time within 15 mins, if its night it doesn't matter.

Same here, except it's within 10 minutes.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I like pocket watches...

[Linked Image]

That's cool. Matches some of your guns, vintage wise too. smile
Suunto.

Travis
They are badass.
Hunter's watch with Sunrise, Sunset, Moon phases and a compass on the band. I feel naked without it.

Yep, the early days of work in refineries required my lack of use of a watch and other goods that could be grabbed. I hired in as a rotating equipment engineer... Did have a pocket watch from way back from confirmation crazy that my favorite Aunt gave me. Youngest son tore it apart to "see". He is the next EdM engineer creation.
I wear my Seiko everyday. Kids don't wear them, they use their phones for everything.
I broke the band on my wristwatch when I went over the handlebars on my quad last winter while plowing snow. Haven't worn a watch since. shocked
not any more
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
They are badass.

It matches my everything else.

Travis
Originally Posted by hatari
I wear my Seiko everyday. Kids don't wear them, they use their phones for everything.

I'm 32 and I wear my Seiko everyday because I think taking a phone out in the middle of a conversation or meeting is rude. Particularly "smart phones'" where checking the time always seems to lead to checking the blogs, Facebook, whatever. It also requires less movement so it is less intrusive to glance at a wristwatch than whip out a phone.
Yep, wear one always, everyday. Utterly lost & naked without one.
Been wearing my $30+ Timex Expedition for 25 years or so. Replaced the battery twice and the band once over the years.
Wear my Bulova Accutron that was my fathers when in a suit.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Just asking

laugh

No, 'cause my boss wears one, and he's a stud.

Just asking

laugh

No, 'cause my boss wears one, and he's a stud.

Flave was right about you.

TMI
Nope, not her. Been using a pocket watch for 20-25 years. Before electronic ones came out, I would magnetize any wristwatch I wore.
I couldn't keep a wind up or self-wind wrist watch running no matter the cost or brand, so I stopped wearing them nearly 45 years ago. I apparently have some funky electrical stuff flowing through my body that stops them from working. I set off the alarms going through TSA security at the airport, too - not always, but often enough to not surprise me. I don't usually wear rings and such either. It wasn't until battery powered ww's got cheap that I could wear one. I always carried a pocket watch instead.
Just tossed a few in the garbage this week.
Obsolete technology.
Originally Posted by bea175
i always do
Same here.
Dad bought a pawn shop watch for my grade school graduation gift. I still have it and wear it as often as any other - which isn't often. Found a Seiko dress watch in a parking lot mud puddle once. It needs a battery, but worked fine for years.

I recently bought a Stauer dashboard watch just to have something different as a conversation piece. Not a high-quality watch, but I think it's cool: http://www.stauer.com/item/stauer-1930-dashtronic-watch-17469/17469

The only time I wear one regularly these days is when I'm fishing. I tend to lose track of time on the water. Otherwise, I don't wear a watch or carry a cell phone. There are clocks everywhere.
Wear a watch everyday. A Mickey Mouse watch. I would feel undressed without one same as not wearing my wedding band.
Nope. I carry one with the band deliberately torn off as a pocket watch, but on my wrist, I haven't worn a watch since high school. (Back then we carried sun dials.)

Tom
Yup .... I use a digital watch for timing radiography work and other related inspection.
I can't wear one. No matter what material the case or band is made of the result is always the same.....they all make my arm ache all the way up to the shoulder in about 5 minutes. I go with a pocket watch when hunting but that's about it.
Originally Posted by RufusG
Been thinking about replacing my old Luminox. Can't imagine not wearing a watch. Well, I guess I can, I just don't.

if you like the luminox's check out Traser watches. They make the tritium for most watches. Seems of lately they get better reviews than the luminox watches.

the one I wear.

[Linked Image]

Just asking

laugh

But of course...
Originally Posted by Raeford
Been wearing my $30+ Timex Expedition for 25 years or so.

I just buy a new one every 5 or 6 years. Yeah, I'm a spendthrift.

Best,

GWB
Worked as a saw filer for 42 years, swinging a 2-1/2 lb. hammer both right and left handed. Couldn't stand to have a wrist watch bouncing back and fourth so I had pocket watches.

Sometimes I'd buy a casio and just cut the band off and carry it in my pocket.

Now that I'm retired it just dosen't matter what time it is. Have a hard time remembering what day it is....(grin!)

Virgil B.
I do, but not as much as I did.
Don
I have worn one everyday for the last 12 years, a Swiss Army Ladies watch, leather strap, silver face. It was a gift I received from someone dear to my heart. I wear the watch and a gold ring that was given to me also. I have jewellery I have been given over the years, but I don't really wear it, and I don't shop for it.
After I got hurt and moved to a canyon ranch in Central OR I quit wearing a watch. Just no need to know exactly what time it was. Then while driving truck and having to keep a log book I used the cell phone. Now I am retired and no longer have to know what day it is let alone what time.

That is a big change from the way I was. I use to be anal about time. When my Seiko Kinetic died I just put it away and never bought another watch.
I have worn a watch since I was a kid. Last 10-12 years its been Lumi-Nox. One for dress & a sports watch. Works for me.

I was doing security work for about 6 months checking construction workers building SCIF's & was amazed at how many times they asked for the time. Virtually none of them wore a wrist watch.
Everyday....prefer tritium analogs. So I rotate between a Luminox, Seiko, etc... for work and an Armourlite AL48 at home.

[Linked Image]
I wear a wach every day. It's like something is missing if I don't have it on.
i always do
Always as well.
I always wear a watch, and carry a clip knife.

I have used Luminox for the last 15 years or so. On one the numbers have worn down on the dial and the crystal is cracked and it still works.

I just had my more recent one tuned up. New crystal, new bezel, can't live without one. It is nice to be in the dark and not have to dick with something to see the time. Luminox glow bright all the time.
Not had a watch on in 10 or 20 years.
I wore a watch every day when I was working because the time of day was often important. (Appointments, meetings, etc., etc. ad nauseam)

Now that I'm retired, I never wear a watch except if I'm going somewhere that time is of the essence, then I put on my $12.95 battery-powered Wal*Mart watch.

Of course, when one is "retired", EVERY day is SATURDAY... and I never wear a watch on WEEKENDS !~!~! grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
I always wear mine ...d hel!i sill have my Timex "auto wind" from high school !
I wear one, currently a Citizen titanium ecodrive. Not to expensive and mine is on line between sporty and dress wear. I wear it 24/7. I pop it off for a few seconds in the shower to wash it a bit, but thats it.

I tried the cell phone thing, but it had a couple of limitations. Its somewhat impolite to keep looking at your phone when with customers and in my off time I spend a bit of time in boats or water( summer) and in the backcountry the rest of the year, with no service and the iphone is heavy thing to tote around just to check time. Undoubtedly useful when you have service, but I seem to spend a fair amount of time without.
Pocket watch if any, learned from damn near infancy not to wear any kind of jewelry...

Phil
I have worn a watch since a day during my senior year in college when I ask a fellow who was probably about my current age if he knew what time it was. He looked me right in the eye and said "yes" and kept walking. That told me it was time to grow up and wear a watch like other men rather than acting like a kid. I wear cheap Timex camper watch on the weekends and working on the farm or more expensive watches I have recieved as gifts of the years when I wear a suit. I would rather leave my knife at home than my watch.

Perry
Currently I'm wearing an Amitron self winding watch, but I don't know why I even bother to wear a watch anymore as I have such a strong magnetic field that any watch I wear gains about ten minutes so I have to look at an atomic clock or the phone to get the right time.
Always.
Just curious how many folks still wear a wrist watch.

Was just now asking my co-workers this question. It would seem you tell a man's age by the answer. grin
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I like pocket watches...

[Linked Image]

That's cool. Matches some of your guns, vintage wise too. smile

Those Elk Whistle Teeth really look good on the watch fob!
LUMI-NOX for the last eight years.
I've worn the same watch since 1987; wedding gift from my wife.
[Linked Image]
I wear my watch and my wedding band, no other "jewelry".

Other "Jewelry" looks like hell on a man. A watch and a ring or two is nice on a man, but other than that it just weirds me out.
Took a good 3 weeks to get used to not having a wrist watch on, but I don't wear one anymore. A cell phone is carried as frequently as a wallet; they're just too handy not to be a necessary accessory.
Thanks for the idea Lynn, I just ordered this one for the wife for her birthday this month. And a bottle of Chanel No. 5

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pal My 1st Wristwatch - 08/05/14
My first wristwatch...and a memorable lesson--

Back in the 50's, at 13, I started working, full-time, during my school summer vacations. I had never needed a watch, before. But, working by the hour, and with important start/stop times, I bought one from a guy who showed up on the job site who was selling out of his car trunk. It was a very cheap, but flashy, dress watch. I couldn't see the need for a pocket watch, like ALL the other OLD operators carried (where was the sense in that?).

The hand control levers on an old 3/4-yard Northwest diesel shovel are forged steel (about 4' long, 60-70 lbs), the large grip knob integrally forged. Some of these "hand" control levers can also be operated by foot, and have a large pedal integrally forged. When the machine is running near its potential speed, these levers are often being moved at very high speeds, with both hands and both feet thoroughly occupied, quickly releasing heavy pressure on one before instantly applying pressure on another.

Well, that fancy wristwatch didn't last through its entire first day on the job before one of the flying levers smashed its crystal and face.

That week I went out and bought a new pocket watch. smirk

Just asking

laugh

Is a Merkel shotgun? Is a Les Baer 1911? Some of us appreciate high quality equipment of the sort that just doesn't let you down and we don't mind paying for it. Others are happy to go to Walmart and shoot a Mossberg.

I got my Rolex 45 years ago this past June. At the time, it was important for me to have a reliable and pretty much indestructible timepiece. It has never let me down. Over the years it's been in and out of salt water too many times to count, it's been exposed to all sorts of chemicals, been through two motorcycle crashes I can remember, been through the reduction rooms at Alcoa and Reynolds where the electromagnetic impulses will wipe out your credit cards and shut down an ordinary watch. It's seen me through two ex-marriages. It's been back for service three times in all those years which is a better track record than any of the motor vehicles I've ever had and they don't keep running 24/7. I look at that watch and it brings back a lot of memories, good, bad and ugly.

But, to each his own.

Rolex is a fantastic watch, but the current price for a new Rolex is about the same as a decent used truck; I just don't have that kind of coin. And these days, a watch is just obsolete by my reckoning. I don't know how long Rolex will hold out, probably always exist in some small way. But just like companies who print hard copy magazines and newspapers; I wouldn't buy stock in Rolex. At best it's a dying industry, at worst it's already dead.

Still, always thought the Rolex Submariner was about as cool a watch as could be had.
If I'm not in the shower, I've got a watch on. If I've got clothes on, I've got, at a minimum, two knives on me.

My work and hunting watch is a Casio Forester, my other watches are my grandfather's self-winding Hamilton, a Casio that syncs with the atomic clock that belonged to my Dad, a Citizen Titanium Chronograph, and a Seiko Chronograph. Had a Lumi-Nox that I dearly loved, but it disappeared in a divorce.

I've got a drawer full of knives and the ones that get carried get changed according to my whim of the day, but generally at least one is a Cold Steel folder of some kind, because they're virtually indestructible and easily replaceable if you DO kill it. I've never broken a blade on a Cold Steel, but have broken several of their pocket clips. Today they're an older Cold Steel Medium Voyager and an old Victorinox Classic SD.

The only "jewelry" I wear is my wedding band.
Originally Posted by 257Deland
I've worn the same watch since 1987; wedding gift from my wife.
[Linked Image]

I bought the same one about 2-3 years before that and it runs perfectly, only had it cleaned once and I wear it everyday. I don't think I'd cough up the coin for another at today's prices which are about 7-8 times more than I paid back in the day.
I wear one most of the time. Need for documentation of progress and events has demanded it.

In the nuke powerhouses, cell phones are not allowed, and in the fossil fueled units they are quickly destroyed.

Been 18 months now since I stopped working powerhouses, but the watch stays...
Originally Posted by FishN4Eyes

Yep.

Been wearing ironman's for about 15 yrs now. At least it seems that long.

I wear an ironman as well. I don't wear it for jewelry, it's function only. Use the countdown timer a lot in training. Mine is beat to heck. The plain plastic band doesn't hold stink and lasts forever. I use the alarm a lot when I travel.

Can't get by using a cell phone for time here as we're right on the CST/EST line and may get a different time from one end of the house to the other depending on where the tower is located.

Of course, a man wears a watch and carries a pocket knife, but I dont wear froot of the looms.
Quit wearing one when it got to be such a PITA taking them through metal detector at work. Just use pager for that now.
I have a hard time understanding a "man" who doesn't wear a watch, a belt, and a pocket knife. All three are basic, necessary items.
Haven't worn a watch since I retired in 2004. I carry a watch when hunting so as not to violate the shooting hours regulations. It's usually strapped around the pivot on my IF binos.
Wear a watch when I leave the house except to exercise. Currently a Luminox. Look at it often and use the rotating bezel several times a day.

RS
I wear a watch and a belt. My grandaddy told me that a man who would go around without a timepiece or a belt on, was nothing more than a slouch. Oh, and he also told me to always carry a knife.

He was cranky like that....
Originally Posted by liliysdad
I have a hard time understanding a "man" who doesn't wear a watch, a belt, and a pocket knife. All three are basic, necessary items.

I reckon I was raised the same way.
It kinda depends on what type of work one does.

I don't wear a watch or a wedding ring.

Cell phone or radio in the pickup/equipment works well enough for me.
Thanks for the idea Lynn, I just ordered this one for the wife for her birthday this month. And a bottle of Chanel No. 5

[Linked Image]

Wonderful choice Scott, functional, with a graceful elegance. Chanel 5 is classic, soft, feminine, and timeless. You have very good taste Sir. I am sure Jennifer will be extremely pleased with your choices smile
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

To quote my wife: "What kind of man doesn't carry a knife?"
When I entered the workforce a a few moons ago, I was literally dumbfounded when I saw how many men dont carry a knife. I view a watch the same way, as I do a belt. I have worked in jobs where safety dictated I not wear a wedding band or a watch, but both were always worn to work, put in my locker, and put back on as soon as I clocked out.

how many here can say "Irish wristwatch"? ...........................without getting tongue tied?
I wear a wristwatch daily, plus I have a knife clipped to my pocket.
No watch for me. There's always a clock around work, and when I'm working outside I can usually tell what time it is quite well enough.

Sometimes take one hunting just so I can prove that I abided by the shooting hours.
that's why they have cell phones. wink

I have an Omega Speedmaster Mk IV that costs about $1,100 every 7-9 years for cleaning and rebuilding plus a Omega Constellation that costs about $1,200 every 10 or so years for the same service. Now I wear a $20 Casio that I throw away every 5 or so years when the battery needs replacement.

The Omegas are kept in a safe deposit box for whatever lies in he future, I wear the Casio daily.
Every day.

I settled on Citizen Eco Drive or Traser.

A belt, a knife, a time piece, a pen(or pencil), a small tape measure........................
I have been wearing a Seiko 5 Military every day for about eight years. It started getting bit ratty looking, so I decided to get something just a but flashier. I was set on getting another Seiko, probably an SKX007, until I stumbled across the Invicta Dive Pro.

Yes, its an Invicta..generally considered the trailer trash of the watch world. I did some research, and this seems to be the one model they make that has a good track record. I made sure and got one with the Miyota movement. For under a hundred bucks, why not? So far its been a very good watch, and I have been very impressed.

I wear cheap watches because I beat them up, and stand a very good chance of getting blood, vomit, feces, etc on them. The Invicta, while a cheap watch, still looks respectable, and seems to keep excellent time. If it dies earlier than expected, it will be replaced with another Seiko.

I have a cheap Timex analog quartz on a Nato Strap that I wear hunting, and the Seiko 5 still gets some play when occasionally. Regardless, a watch of some sort is on my wrist from the time I wake till the time I go to sleep, every day.

Quit wearing a wrist watch about 40 years ago. Would sooner or later without fail, ruin it. If it didn't get destroyed with liquid or chemicals or the crystal broken, it would get so scratched you almost couldn't see thru it.
So I began keeping a time piece in my pocket. Did that until I began to carry a cell with a clock.
No reason to carry two things that do the same thing.
So nope, I don't wear a wrist watch.
Originally Posted by RDFinn
I bought the same one about 2-3 years before that and it runs perfectly, only had it cleaned once and I wear it everyday. I don't think I'd cough up the coin for another at today's prices which are about 7-8 times more than I paid back in the day.

[Linked Image]

Here's the original receipt and that was a lot of money back then. No way would I fork out $7-8,000 for a new one; cost me $350 to have it cleaned...... eek If it ever quits running I may have to sell it...... crazy
cost me $350 to have it cleaned...... eek If it ever quits running I may have to sell it...... crazy

Quality aside, those watches were made for people who like to spend money and show it. $350.00 for Bill Gates to clean a watch is less than one of us buying a morning cup of coffee...
cost me $350 to have it cleaned...... eek If it ever quits running I may have to sell it...... crazy

Quality aside, those watches were made for people who like to spend money and show it. $350.00 for Bill Gates to clean a watch is less than one of us buying a morning cup of coffee...

Goes to show you how far out of touch you are from reality.
[Linked Image]

I still have the O & W, it is the M16 version offered by Westcoasttime. I replaced it with a H3 Pro Diver, which I prefer.

Both watches feature Tritium Gas vials, Sapphire crystal, screw down back, and screw down crown.

[Linked Image]

H3

O & W
Originally Posted by cra1948

Just asking

laugh

Is a Merkel shotgun? Is a Les Baer 1911? Some of us appreciate high quality equipment of the sort that just doesn't let you down and we don't mind paying for it. Others are happy to go to Walmart and shoot a Mossberg.

I got my Rolex 45 years ago this past June. At the time, it was important for me to have a reliable and pretty much indestructible timepiece. It has never let me down. Over the years it's been in and out of salt water too many times to count, it's been exposed to all sorts of chemicals, been through two motorcycle crashes I can remember, been through the reduction rooms at Alcoa and Reynolds where the electromagnetic impulses will wipe out your credit cards and shut down an ordinary watch. It's seen me through two ex-marriages. It's been back for service three times in all those years which is a better track record than any of the motor vehicles I've ever had and they don't keep running 24/7. I look at that watch and it brings back a lot of memories, good, bad and ugly.

But, to each his own.

I wear an Omega Seamaster that I bought in London in 2003, and I feel the same way. I've worn it surfing in South Africa, scuba diving in Australia... it's been to the top of Cradle Mountain in Tasmania, to my first hunt in WY, to my recent hunt in Zululand, to my wedding, birth of my two children, to my military tour in Djibouti. I expect I'll have it through many other memories!

The $350 cleaning fee every 5 years is a PITA, though. I'll give you that! lol.

Eric

Laco 1944
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by JSTUART

I still have the O & W, it is the M16 version offered by Westcoasttime. I replaced it with a H3 Pro Diver, which I prefer.

Both watches feature Tritium Gas vials, Sapphire crystal, screw down back, and screw down crown.

Very nice! Solid working man's tools.

I really like the O&W M16. One reason I went with the Hamilton I have now is that it looks so much like the old O&W. You've got the 12 hour bezel, though, which is even better to keep track of a second time zone.
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Rolex is a fantastic watch, but the current price for a new Rolex is about the same as a decent used truck; I just don't have that kind of coin. And these days, a watch is just obsolete by my reckoning. I don't know how long Rolex will hold out, probably always exist in some small way. But just like companies who print hard copy magazines and newspapers; I wouldn't buy stock in Rolex. At best it's a dying industry, at worst it's already dead.

Still, always thought the Rolex Submariner was about as cool a watch as could be had.

Oh really? Check on the wait time for certain models..
I do have this one, all white gold. It was my grandfathers

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Still saving my pennies for a Submariner. Until then, I generally don't wear one.
[Linked Image]

I had that exact same watch, a Hamilton King Scuba Automatic, until I lost the damned thing dragging a deer last fall.

[Linked Image]

I've since moved up to a Longines Hydroconquest:

[Linked Image]
I don't wear a watch and never will. Wife bought me a pocket watch but it just sits in a drawer in the kitchen.
If I do wear one it's on the left arm and face down, opposite of Bricktop's.
I always have one on, sometimes I really shouldn't. My watches are generally metal band watches because other bands break too easy. But since they are metal bands, weld spatter sticks to the band. My watches look like chit in a short time. face all pitted from burns, weld berries stuck to the watch frame and band. Every now and then I'll get a big ole red hot weld berry stuck between my band and my wrist. They burn in real nice.
I always wear a watch. I've had good, not great, watches and have found some Timex to be more recoil proof than others. I do not want a date on the watch face since I won't take the time to change it at the end of every month not having 31 days.

I almost always have a cell phone, too, but just can't get accustomed to looking at it to tell time. I generally pay attention to the cell phone only when it rings.
Originally Posted by northern_dave
...My watches are generally metal band watches...

An anecdote on metal bands, another childhood wristwatch lesson.

As a young man, leaning in over the engine I was tuning, resting my left hand somewhere in the vicinity of the exposed positive battery terminal smile I manged to touch the expansion bracelet to both the battery + and the inner fender sheet metal at the same time. There was a loud crack and a blinding flash of light. About 3 milliseconds later I ripped the red hot watch/band off my wrist and flung it the length of our driveway. Still have the hash mark scars.
Generally wear SS Citizen Eco Drive with a screw down back and a screw down crown. Out hunting, I usually switch to a Casio G Shock or an old G1090 watch..

My favourite is an old watch of my fathers.I like it because its slim , perhaps only an 1/8" thick, and in general very understated. Trouble is I doubt its been serviced in 60 years and a couple of local places took one look at the movement and declined to touch it...

Edited to add my fathers watch is a Bentima Star with a Swiss 21 jewel movement and a 9K gold case. A search on google turns up some similar models, but not this particular one..
I wore a watch every day when I worked.
Now that I am retired, the watch is in a drawer somewhere, don't care what time it is.
I carried a wrist watch in my pocket for a few years, hate wearing one. When I got my first cell phone the watch went away. I can't stand not having a pocket knife on me at all times. Victorinox Farmer.
Rolex Submariner since 1979, still going strong.

SC

Gladly concur Gentlemen, and I don't wear a gotdam button up shirt without the same on the collar and a pocket sewed on it. crazy mad

Hate those damn elton john flappy ass shirt collars. mad
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gladly concur Gentlemen, and I don't wear a gotdam button up shirt without the same on the collar and a pocket sewed on it. crazy mad

Hate those damn elton john flappy ass shirt collars. mad

All true. A proper man also has a handkerchief/bandanna handy as well.
Originally Posted by Bricktop
I had that exact same watch, a Hamilton King Scuba Automatic, until I lost the damned thing dragging a deer last fall.

Mr. Bricktop-

Thanks for the note and pic of your new watch. I'll have to be careful if I get lucky enough to score on a deer this fall.

I've had the Hammy for about 4-5 months now and really like how its been working. This is my first experience with an automatic, but seems to keep reasonable time, only loosing a few seconds per day. If I get the watch bug any worse I might try to get a Seiko Diver and try to mod it into looking something like the O&W that JStuart has.

Air Force camo pattern for muzzle loader season?
I wear a watch every day. Tried citizen, seiko and a few others. They stop running in about 2 days. The only ones that keep running are timex. Been wearing the one i have now for about 8 years.
If I do wear one it's on the left arm and face down, opposite of Bricktop's.

I prefer face down too, but its a bit tough to read when I need it in EMS situations plus it alerts the patient that you might be timing respiration, heart rate etc... and can give you a false reading.

Of course if not for ems, I'd be running the phone only like I used to.

Can still recall watches so loud in ticking I was sure the deer could hear them.
For me the only watch that I have been able to wear is a Seiko. A Timex will quit on me in less than a week. The cheaper Citizens I have tried are the same. I think it has something to do with your body chemistry and how electrically charged you are. I'm a pretty good water witch too if that has anything to do with it.

My favorite watch is a Seiko Titanium that I have been wearing 10 years now.
What's way worse IMO...more so and dangerous than a wrist watch is a WEDDING BAND!! Was working on an alternator at the rear of a Lycoming aircraft engine one day and apparently made contact with a hot wire and my wedding band got hung up and I thought I had fire coming out me Irish arse!!

No more wedding band was worn after that incident!! Also I know two guys that lost their fingers by having their wedding bands hang up on the bed of a PU when they jumped off!!
Always wear one, feel naked without one.
On my wrist for every sortie I ever flew, all my hunts, wedding, birth of my three children, basically every major and minor event in my less than ordinary life since 1981..

[Linked Image]
I always wear one but when it's hot it some times irritates me so I'm thinking of getting a pocket watch.
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn

Other "Jewelry" looks like hell on a man. A watch and a ring or two is nice on a man, but other than that it just weirds me out.

Safe to say you didn't like the Mr.T look?
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Mr. Bricktop-

Thanks for the note and pic of your new watch. I'll have to be careful if I get lucky enough to score on a deer this fall.

I've had the Hammy for about 4-5 months now and really like how its been working. This is my first experience with an automatic, but seems to keep reasonable time, only loosing a few seconds per day. If I get the watch bug any worse I might try to get a Seiko Diver and try to mod it into looking something like the O&W that JStuart has.

Air Force camo pattern for muzzle loader season?
I really liked mine and hope I can still recover it, but the Longines has been a good time piece, too.

One of these days I may get one of these: http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/collection/khaki/aviation/pilot-pioneer-auto-chrono/h76416135

Air Farce camo because there's a nearby Air Farce base, I can carry a lot of gear in the pockets, and it breaks up my outline.
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn

Safe to say you didn't like the Mr.T look?

Very, very, safe ! grin
During the week at work I wear a wristwatch with a built in stopwatch which is used once in a while.
On the weekends I carry a pocket watch from my small collection.
Doc
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire