Home
VERY interesting article. I recommend everyone take the time to read it through.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/six-reasons-panic_816387.html?page=1
Will obama and family be hidden away in a bunker where he can still be on tv?
If they let the news out for wider public circulation, you should be hearing very soon about a doctor in Dallas testing positive.
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/...are-at-pentagon-patient-being-evaluated/
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Will obama and family be hidden away in a bunker where he can still be on tv?

Underground golf course?
Something is gonna come out that changes how we view and fear this virus. I am a fireman and an EMT and deal with hospital personnel regularly. There's no way in hell these two nurses got this particular strain of Ebola that is only supposed to be capable of being transmitted by bodily fluids. My money is on the fact that it has mutated to a form that can be transmitted through the respiratory system. Wait and see!
Yep, things mutate, and this is what is going to cause the biggest problem with dealing with it.
Another interesting article, basically the other side of the coin.

Ebola Fear Factor: Why America Needs a Viral Reality Check

basically the other side of the coin

Yep nothing to worry about. Heck the Troops are only getting 4 hours training

http://madworldnews.com/training-soldiers-west-africa/
The University of Minnesota denies that its Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP) has said Ebola can be transmitted through the air.

CIDRAP News had published a commentary raising that possibility on Sept. 17.

"Being at first skeptical that Ebola virus could be an aerosol-transmissible disease, we are now persuaded by a review of experimental and epidemiologic data that this might be an important feature of disease transmission, particularly in health-care settings," the authors wrote.

Some news sites such as Breitbart.com took that to mean CIDRAP officially endorsed the authors' position.

On Thursday, the university said CIDRAP does not make that claim. The authors, Lisa M. Brosseau and Rachael Jones, are from the University of Illinois at Chicago, not the University of Minnesota, the rebuttal stated.

Ebola experts such as Erica Ollmann Saphire at The Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla said the virus can't survive as dry microscopic particles wafting in the air or on surfaces, because dessication destroys the viral membrane.

It's also extremely unlikely that the virus could be transmitted through droplets from a nearby person sneezing. Tests in non-human primates have failed to find transmission through droplets, and such transmission has not been documented in people.

However, Ebola replicates with greater efficiency in the respiratory tract of pigs, Ollmann Saphire said. In the laboratory, monkeys housed in cages about 10 inches away from infected pigs have acquired Ebola through droplet transmission.

"So do not bring your infected pig on an airplane," Ollmann Saphire said. "Do not spend multiple days in face-to-face contact with an infected pig."
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
.... My money is on the fact that it has mutated to a form that can be transmitted through the respiratory system. Wait and see!

It has already come out. Researchers at the University of Minnesota have released a study where they claim that Ebola has the potential to be transmitted via exhaled breath and "infectious aerosol particles."

See: http://www.inquisitr.com/1541821/eb...p-researchers-claim/#b8qCuFYHxLHeQR8i.99
Maybe I'm taking this too far but is this the "change" Obama and his band of retards have been looking for?

They had to wait maybe longer than they anticipated and those nasty doctors are slowing the progress of the infection by saving those 2 nurses but maybe they can over come those obstacles if we keep the border open and flights to the infected countries open.

Am I too cynical? Does the "administration" have a credibility problem or is it me? Dang! kwg
That is a very interesting article.
Just one small quote:

"On October 14, the New York Times reported that in Liberia, with �only� 4,000 cases, �Schools have shut down, elections have been postponed, mining and logging companies have withdrawn, farmers have abandoned their fields.� Which means that the baseline for �best-case� is already awful."

Can you imagine No Elections?
Can you imagine No Elections?

I wonder if you can vote from a fema camp?
Originally Posted by ftbt
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
.... My money is on the fact that it has mutated to a form that can be transmitted through the respiratory system. Wait and see!

It has already come out. Researchers at the University of Minnesota have released a study where they claim that Ebola has the potential to be transmitted via exhaled breath and "infectious aerosol particles."

See: http://www.inquisitr.com/1541821/eb...p-researchers-claim/#b8qCuFYHxLHeQR8i.99

University of Minnesota officials knock down tweet that its researchers say Ebola is airborne

University of Minnesota officials are knocking down a tweet claiming its researchers say Ebola is airborne.

University spokeswoman Caroline Marin told the Star Tribune in Minneapolis that the university never made such a claim.

In fact, the tweet refers to a commentary posted a month ago on a university website that was written by Chicago-based researchers who were debating Ebola's "potential to be transmitted" to health workers by aerosolized virus particles, and thus what protective gear they should wear.

World health authorities have been clear that Ebola is transmitted through direct contact with bodily fluids, and that blood, vomit and feces carry the most virus. Health workers are at particular risk because in the course of caring for patients, they draw blood and clean up diarrhea when the patients are most infectious. Likewise in the epidemic zone in West Africa, people involved with burials of highly infectious bodies are at high risk.

What if a sick person's wet sneeze hits your hand and then you absentmindedly rub your eyes? Asked about such scenarios recently, Dr. Tom Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, allowed that, theoretically, "it would not be impossible" to catch the virus that way. But it's considered highly unlikely. No such case has been documented.

"Should you be worried you might have gotten it by sitting next to someone?" he said Wednesday. "The answer to that is no."

Frieden said "what actually happens in the real world" � and he cited four decades of dealing with Ebola in Africa � is that the disease is spread through much more direct contact with a sick person.

The World Health Organization says the same thing and notes that few studies have found Ebola in an infected person's saliva, generally in patients who were severely ill.
If there is a way to get the public to accept martial law this would be it.
number of ebola deaths to date: less than 2,500

number of flu deaths on an average year: 23,607 (can be as high as 48,000+ on a bad year)

but feel free to panic
Re Ebola, I only need one reason to panic.

His name is Barack Hussein Obama.
hmmm interesting article

but I disagree with his premise

no good reason to PANIC

calm resolute action would seem to be a better course, but that's just how I see it.

if I have my way the only way I'd see the inside of a FEMA camp is feet first.
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

no good reason to PANIC

calm resolute action would seem to be a better course.

That's how some of us Panic.

How could this go bad.....what do I need to do before the bad may happen....
well I don't count preparing for the worst and hoping for the best as Panic

I just call that living with reality.
Originally Posted by toad

number of flu deaths on an average year: 23,607 (can be as high as 48,000+ on a bad year)

but feel free to panic
or you can just whistle past the graveyard, and hope for the best. smile
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

but feel free to panic
or you can just whistle past the graveyard, and hope for the best. smile

The death rate for the dreaded Swine flue was .03%
The death rate for Ebola is 50%-90%

My whole family's had swine flu and we all lived. I doubt that would be the case if we all contracted Ebola.
so what is worse? the 23,000 flu deaths or the 2500 ebola deaths?

what about malaria? There were an estimated 627,000 malaria deaths worldwide in 2012

Originally Posted by Gremlin1104
The University of Minnesota denies that its Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP) has said Ebola can be transmitted through the air.

CIDRAP News had published a commentary raising that possibility on Sept. 17.

"Being at first skeptical that Ebola virus could be an aerosol-transmissible disease, we are now persuaded by a review of experimental and epidemiologic data that this might be an important feature of disease transmission, particularly in health-care settings," the authors wrote.

Some news sites such as Breitbart.com took that to mean CIDRAP officially endorsed the authors' position.

On Thursday, the university said CIDRAP does not make that claim. The authors, Lisa M. Brosseau and Rachael Jones, are from the University of Illinois at Chicago, not the University of Minnesota, the rebuttal stated.

Ebola experts such as Erica Ollmann Saphire at The Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla said the virus can't survive as dry microscopic particles wafting in the air or on surfaces, because dessication destroys the viral membrane.

It's also extremely unlikely that the virus could be transmitted through droplets from a nearby person sneezing. Tests in non-human primates have failed to find transmission through droplets, and such transmission has not been documented in people.

However, Ebola replicates with greater efficiency in the respiratory tract of pigs, Ollmann Saphire said. In the laboratory, monkeys housed in cages about 10 inches away from infected pigs have acquired Ebola through droplet transmission.

"So do not bring your infected pig on an airplane," Ollmann Saphire said. "Do not spend multiple days in face-to-face contact with an infected pig."

Interesting. Yet Senator Rand Paul (who also happens to be a medical doctor) is claiming that the CDC defines "direct contact" as being within three feet of an infected person, and further, that the CDC website "says being within three feet of an infected patient for a prolonged period of time without the proper gear is a 'low-risk exposure' for Ebola".

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...incredibly-contagious.html#ixzz3GSDUL8fZ

So ... who do you believe? Maybe better to err on the side caution and "be safe than sorry."

but feel free to panic

Couple problems with your comparison.

Flu kills mostly old or really young people, it folks with already bad health.

And a very small percentage of people who get the flu die, but about half of everyone that gets Ebola bites the dust.
Yep, bring em all in

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...ms-to-u.s.-for-treatment/article/2554956
Originally Posted by dassa

but feel free to panic

Couple problems with your comparison.

Flu kills mostly old or really young people, it folks with already bad health.

And a very small percentage of people who get the flu die, but about half of everyone that gets Ebola bites the dust.

the fact remains that flu is gonna kill more of us than ebola.

texting while driving is wayyy more likely to kill you and I than ebola.

I think people just WANT to panic

Really? How ebola outbreaks have there been in the US, and what was the mortality rate?
Originally Posted by watch4bear

Really? How ebola outbreaks have there been in the US, and what was the mortality rate?

my point exactly.

Thats not a point, just a factless statement.
Its nothing, really

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/heal...e-department-bans-employees-saying-ebola
again, for the slow:

ebola has been bouncing around Africa for a long time and hasn't killed everybody. do ya really think it's gonna slam the U.S if Africa can survive decades of it?

[Linked Image]
Yup and I agree with all six. This is the virus that will really wipe out most of the US.
ebola has been bouncing around Africa for a long time and hasn't killed everybody. do ya really think it's gonna slam the U.S?

Its a 3 day walk to town in africa. Here you can land in 3 airports in a day. Wether or not it takes off is anybodys guess; but importing it is insanity.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-...xtensions-From-Ebola-Countries-in-August
My biggest concern is the pathetic lack of leadership from the current Administration. That pathetic lack of leadership seems to be universal to every issue facing the President and his inept crew, but in this instance the Administration's failings have the distinct possibility of getting Americans killed instead of non-Americans (e.g., Syrians, Iraqis, Ukrainians, West Africans, etc.).

That said, I'm concerned we are going to be facing a situation with the Ebola outbreak in which we're "fighting the last war." In military history, it is common to find examples of nations, even on both sides of a conflict, unprepared for the new war because they had structured their military and strategy to win a war fought the way the last one was. Technology sometimes advances very quickly and so can virus mutations. Doing at least a LITTLE MORE than is thought to be required to contain an outbreak is prudent. Doing the minimal thought to be required to contain an outbreak is foolish. I'm concerned that the current Administration is looking to the minimal end of the spectrum and Americans are going to die as a result.
again, for the slow:

ebola has been bouncing around Africa for a long time and hasn't killed everybody. do ya really think it's gonna slam the U.S if Africa can survive decades of it?
[img]http://www.africaontheblog.com/wp-
content/uploads/2014/09/ebola-outbreaks.jpg[/img]

There is speculation that Ebola may be evolving and can be transferred through droplets, that means sneezes and coughs etc..
If that is true it may become as common as the flue?
I am a little slow, so what am I missing?
again, for the slow:

[Linked Image]

Toad, I don't know what interest you have in putting out false information, but today CNN is reporting almost 4500 Ebola deaths. That's more than twice as many as what you wrote.

CNN reporting that Ebola outbreak is running much faster than response

The proper response to the current Ebola problem that has grown larger than it needed to have is to attack it aggressively now, but the Administration is still bumbling along and not doing the things needed to restore the public's confidence in the public health sector.
That map is obsolete. Even the cdc says a possibility of 1.4 million by january.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/outbreaks/2014-west-africa/qa-mmwr-estimating-future-cases.html
This blind panic more than matches the irrationality of obama voters and their free phones.

We are truly overrun with stupid on this forum.
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback

Toad, I don't know what interest you have in putting out false information, but today CNN is reporting almost 4500 Ebola deaths. That's more than twice as many as what you wrote.

numbers from google, but let's use 4500. still not in a panic.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
This blind panic more than matches the irrationality of obama voters and their free phones.

Rancho,
California is missing an idiot, best head home. cool
Originally Posted by irfubar
again, for the slow:

There is speculation that Ebola may be evolving and can be transferred through droplets, that means sneezes and coughs etc..

a lot. look into that speculation... HINT

but feel free to panic

Correct, stay calm, move quietly in the shadow, disinfect as needed.

numbers from google, but let's use 4500. still not in a panic.

I'm not advocating panic. I'm advocating the public holding the Administration's feet to the fire to be aggressive in attacking the Ebola problem. The initial actions have not given any reason to have confidence that the Administration can develop adequate plans to minimize the effect of the current Ebola outbreak on U.S. citizens who aren't going to West Africa.

Inept and the antithesis of proactive, with possibly some ideological corruption thrown in for good measure, seem to be the best descriptions for the current Administration. That is not the description for who you want trying to contain an outbreak of an awful and deadly (50-70% mortality) disease.

Rancho,

Keep listening to speculation. Makes you sound smart.
You must think its ok to bring in infected africans. Or maybe even cooler to send our troops over there. You should volunteer to go, you fearless wonder you. wink

http://www.usaid.gov/ebola/volunteers
More to the point:it MAY not be a real problem...yet. If and when it does it will be a nightmare problem. Objective:Prevent that from occuring.
Obama is in the works with allowing non citizens who are infected with Ebola to come to the U.S. for treatment?

I certainly am not panicking. And am the furthest thing from an Obama voter you could imagine.
I posed my post in the form of a question because I don't have the answers?
You fancy yourself as being smart, so care to answer my question?

The CDC has done a lousy job answering the concerns of people!
My girlfriend is a nurse and has been for over 20yrs, we have many conversations regarding infectious disease, and the protocol at the hospital for dealing with Ebola, I will give you a hint, here there is none!

So Rancho, what expertise do you have?
Sounds like you buy the Obama, CDC line, nothing to worry about.
Your Calif., background has infected you with the liberal disease it appears?
So do you have something besides smart azz remarks to add to the discusion?
What ruancho is really trying to say, is obama's got this all under control, and were all racists grin
aids, ebola and 200 years of feral groids, gifts from mutha africa that keep on giving. crazy
Originally Posted by gunner500
aids, ebola and 200 years of feral groids, gifts from mutha africa that keep on giving. crazy

Yep Gunner. And our fearless leader is determined to make us participate!
The government�s adamant refusal to ban travel to and from Africa, proves that Leftists are perfectly willing to have you die for their ideological beliefs.
Absolutely agree gentlemen.
The racists! How dare they!

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/...-Countries-Close-Borders-To-Combat-Ebola
again, for the slow:

Here's an official CDC position about airborne transmission of Ebola:

CDC Q&A on Ebola transmission

quote:------------------
Can Ebola spread by coughing? By sneezing?

Unlike respiratory illnesses like measles or chickenpox, which can be transmitted by virus particles that remain suspended in the air after an infected person coughs or sneezes, Ebola is transmitted by direct contact with body fluids of a person who has symptoms of Ebola disease. Although coughing and sneezing are not common symptoms of Ebola, if a symptomatic patient with Ebola coughs or sneezes on someone, and saliva or mucus come into contact with that person�s eyes, nose or mouth, these fluids may transmit the disease.
--------------------------------

That's not so worrisome - a little worrisome, but not too bad.

From the same Q&A webpage, here's CDC's official position about how long Ebola virus can live outside its host mammal:

quote:----------------
How long does Ebola live outside the body?

Ebola is killed with hospital-grade disinfectants (such as household bleach). Ebola dried on surfaces such as doorknobs and countertops can survive for several hours; however, virus in body fluids (such as blood) can survive up to several days at room temperature.
---------------------

Yes that's right, according to CDC, the Ebola virus could be alive and transmittable on surfaces in public places for several hours or even several days, depending on the situation. That info is not some sensationalized hype from a fear-mongering media outlet, it's from the foremost public health organization in the world.

These facts as presented by CDC show why we need to be aggressive with quarantines and travel restrictions before we have a problem here in the U.S. Not panic, just responsible aggressiveness is what we need and aren't getting from D.C.

Rancho,

Keep listening to speculation. Makes you sound smart.

And you spewing the government line makes you look like a genuis!! laugh

but feel free to panic

You numbers don't mean schit. Look at the TOTAL number of flu cases per yer, then figure the percent that die.
Originally Posted by Esox357
Obama is in the works with allowing non citizens who are infected with Ebola to come to the U.S. for treatment?

That is what the Washington Examiner is reporting, based upon a Judicial Watch report. Is it true? Who knows? If it happens would you be surprised based upon what we have seen so far from the clowns in Washington? The other things to consider: who would pay for the care (it reportedly cost in the range of $500,000 to treat Thomas Eric Duncan) and where would they be treated?

See: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...ms-to-u.s.-for-treatment/article/2554956
It has started and some comments have already been made, so the ground work is in place.

Once this thing spreads (by Design) the Media and the Democrats will unleash a flurry of accusations blaming the Republicans, the NRA and of course Bush.

Obama and his refusal to limit the importation of this virus will all be forgotten and the American public will buy into the Main Stream Media lies and the Republicans will be blamed for the deaths of thousand of Americans.

Originally Posted by 16bore

but feel free to panic

You numbers don't mean schit. Look at the TOTAL number of flu cases per yer, then figure the percent that die.

Yeah, he conveniently didn't compare the fatality rate of those infected. I'll do the math. Assuming 1 in 6 Americans gets the flu in a given year, that would put the fatality rate for those infected with influenza around 0.05% vs. 50+% for Ebola. That would mean Ebola is over 1000 times more deadly than the flu.
Appears part of the problem may be that Susan Rice has been integrally involved.

Apparently Obama is throwing his non-political underlings under the bus (NYT article)

quote:------------
Susan E. Rice, the national security adviser, has been leading the effort to prod Britain, Germany, France and other countries to do more to respond to the outbreak. One of Ms. Rice�s deputies, Lisa Monaco, who is responsible for homeland security and counterterrorism issues, has been coordinating the domestic response, which involves working with the C.D.C., state and local health authorities, and the Transportation Security Administration on issues like scanning of incoming passengers.
-----------------

My comment:
Even while the Administration has enlisted the NYT to shift blame to levels below Obama, one of Obama's favorites, Susan Rice, is mentioned, and it doesn't take a genius to see that much of the blame for the lackluster response has to fall on her and her deputies.
Originally Posted by 16bore

but feel free to panic

Yeah, he conveniently didn't compare the fatality rate of those infected. I'll do the math. Assuming 1 in 6 Americans gets the flu in a given year, that would put the fatality rate for those infected with influenza around 0.05% vs. 50+% for Ebola. That would mean Ebola is over 1000 times more deadly than the flu.

spin it anyway you wish, flu has killed more people every year than ebola by a long shot. if you want an eye opener, look up malaria deaths. but you guys gotta dig for something to panic about so carry on...
Well genius, there aint a [bleep] Ebola patient on the planet that doesn't wish they had the flu.
that changes nothing...
Interesting

What if Lots of People Have Ebola-Proof Blood?

�There is limited evidence from past outbreaks that suggests there probably are quite a few people who get exposed, who get infected, without ever developing symptoms and without ever developing illness but they develop immunity,� said Lauren Ancel Meyers, a professor in the Department of Integrative Biology at The University of Texas at Austin.

The best evidence of this happening with Ebola was a study done during a 1996 outbreak in Gabon, when researchers monitored 24 contacts of known Ebola patients who never became sick. Eleven of them had antibodies to Ebola.

�If this turns out to be true, there is widespread silent Ebola infection that is immunizing,� Meyers said. �We should really investigate it further.�

It�s not unheard of. Immunologists know that people can get exposed to a virus and never become ill. One study showed that people in Peru appeared to have survived rabies � a virus believed to be virtually 100 percent fatal. One in 10 people tested had antibodies to rabies but many couldn�t recall having gotten sick.

�Ultimately, knowing whether a large segment of the population in the afflicted regions are immune to Ebola could save lives,� said Steve Bellan, who worked with Meyers on the letter published in the Lancet medical Journal. �If we can reliably identify who they are, they could become people who help with disease-control tasks, and that would prevent exposing others who aren't immune."

Or their blood could be used to treat the ill, if that approach turns out to in fact help patients survive.

spin it anyway you wish, flu has killed more people every year than ebola by a long shot. if you want an eye opener, look up malaria deaths. but you guys gotta dig for something to panic about so carry on...

Yeah, up til now... http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/23/world/africa/ebola-outbreak/index.html
I agree that the flu is (currently) a bigger health threat than the threat of ebola getting out of hand here, but can you give me a valid reason why we should have to deal with ebola at all in the U.S.? Allowing people to freely travel to & from the hot zones & then throughout the U.S. is just begging for trouble.
I see no reason for it here, but in reality it would get here one way or another eventually.

the problem I see is a bunch of people here want the idiot-in-charge to do this and do that, but he is, after all, an idiot and we'll have to work around him.
There's no way in hell these two nurses got this particular strain of Ebola that is only supposed to be capable of being transmitted by bodily fluids.

I'm not sure why you'd think that, when they both handled his bodily fluids

They just weren't careful enough removing their PPE
© 24hourcampfire