Home
Posted By: Hotload Shaving with a straight razor - 10/27/14
For the last 10 years or more, I have used a Gillette Mark 3. Great shave
but also very high $$$$. Thinking about trying a straight razor.
Also ... great scene in the 007 movie Skyfall where the sexy black girl
used a straight razor to shave James Bond. Started me thinking about
trying to use a straight razor.

Any suggestions or comments ?
[Linked Image]

I suggest you find a hot black chick to do it for you.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I suggest you find a hot black chick to do it for you.

Do you remember the scene ? ... Bond is all beat up and she is cleaning him up.
After the shave he fu*ks her. Great movie !!!

I'm guessing that the odds of that happening to you after you switch to a straight razor are pretty slim, but I've been wrong before.
Looked on Ebay to see the cost. Most straight razors are in the $10 - $50 range. A few $100 - $200 or more. A man could get a lot of Mach 3's for $200
Look a little more. A really good straight razor is an investment and they are not cheap. A razor that is less than really good is a bad idea. Then there is the cost of having it sharpened and boned. You will need a good strop and strop paste.

A safety razor and some good blades will give a great shave and not only costs way less but the learning curve is less.
Posted By: jpb Re: Shaving with a straight razor - 10/27/14
Originally Posted by Scott F
Look a little more. A really good straight razor is an investment and they are not cheap. A razor that is less than really good is a bad idea. Then there is the cost of having it sharpened and boned. You will need a good strop and strop paste.

A safety razor and some good blades will give a great shave and not only costs way less but the learning curve is less.

God knows I've paid dearly for some of the boning I've received... wink

John
Posting on a phone with fat old fingers gets Mme in a lot of trouble! eek
Posted By: jpb Re: Shaving with a straight razor - 10/27/14
The best humour just happens! grin

John
Why ANY man would allow ANY woman with a straight razor to shave him is the mystery of all time!!!!
There is a reason people switched to the modern day razor. (Scar Tissue)I would be surprised if after you purchase all you need to "give yourself" a quality shave, you will have less than $550 in your investment. A quality razor will cost between $275 and $375. A brush around $45, Soap, $25, Mugs $45, Strop+Hone, around $75. That's close to $500. That is truly a lot of current market razors. Good luck.
Join the Dollar a Month Shave Club.

https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/
Yup.
Originally Posted by ro1459
, .... you will have less than $550 in your investment. A quality razor will cost between $275 and $375. A brush around $45, Soap, $25, Mugs $45, Strop+Hone, around $75. That's close to $500. That is truly a lot of current market razors. Good luck.

shocked .... may as well buy Gillette Mach 3's
Always seemed to me to fall into the same category as trimming your nails with a chain saw or swatting a mosquito on your head with a baseball bat.
If you want to go cheap or old school, pick up a safety razor. Blades are like $20.00 for 100, and that's double sided blades. Other than Bic single blade disposables, you're not going to get any cheaper than that.

My wife buys me these 3 packs of 5 blade disposable razors at Walgreens. The 5 blade razors last a LONG time. A 3 pack will get me a good 9 months before I need another. And they're cheap, 5.49.
Go to Walgreen's and look for "Studio 35 Men's Disposable Five-Blade Razors"

Originally Posted by Hotload
For the last 10 years or more, I have used a Gillette Mark 3. Great shave
but also very high $$$$. Thinking about trying a straight razor.
Also ... great scene in the 007 movie Skyfall where the sexy black girl
used a straight razor to shave James Bond. Started me thinking about
trying to use a straight razor.

Any suggestions or comments ?

when you get your new straight razor start of practicing, by shaving your ball first , so the scares won't show so bad
Have been many men who could handle the straight razor, and many who just grew beards. Double edge razors are wonderful, 25 bucks or so, badger brush, wilkinson blades and a soap of your choice. I switched back to that for just a shade over 50 bucks. Amazon prime shipping helped keep the price down.
Posted By: add Re: Shaving with a straight razor - 10/27/14
Straight razor?

Pffttt...

One blade, real sharp. 30 razors for $10.

[Linked Image]

I use my Dover straight edge on the weekends.
Posted By: EWY Re: Shaving with a straight razor - 10/27/14
I switched to a safety razor almost a year ago. While I may get a mug and brush I have had good luck with Nivea gel. I also like the Nivea post shave balm.
I keep some cheap disposables around for a super quick shave but it doesn't compare to the safety razor and a couple extra minutes.

Ernie
I've been using a Micro Touch One safety razor since May. I haven't cut myself yet. There was no learning curve I've heard of with some of the other safety razors. I shave just as fast and well as with any Mach 2 I've ever used and it's a lot cheaper. I've only used 2 blades since May.
Originally Posted by jpb
The best humour just happens! grin

John

That is why I left it. It was a mistake but also a true statement!
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Why ANY man would allow ANY woman with a straight razor to shave him is the mystery of all time!!!!

This is the way I view this endeavor.
I like the safety razor because I get a way better shave that the high dollar multi head razors and I cannot get even one good shave out of the cheep disposables. I want to try a straight razor but I thing the $500 quote is minimum and may even be low.

I but the 50 blade double edge Feather brand blades from Amazon at $14 including shipping. I am about to make my second order and I have been using the first order for almost two years. Beats the Dollar club and gives a better shave. When considering the $14 for almost two years add in the fact I shave face and head. Just doing your face should make it even more economical.

It must go back to my Nave days but a clean fresh shave and and Ironed shirt are the way I like to start the day.

Pants are optional but it seems to help when carrying concealed.
I actually started shaving with a straight razor. It belonged to my father, and his father before him.
Done properly you will never get a shave as close as that.
It was retired a long time ago.
Now the barber i use to go to, he retired, used a straight razor with german manufactured blades, that were replacable. you could do surgery with that.
For a while now i have been using one of those three bladed jobies, but since i am becoming a curmudgeon, i don't feel it's needed to shave more than once a week anyway. I really want to be gabby hayes.
Originally Posted by bea175
when you get your new straight razor start of practicing, by shaving your ball first , so the scares won't show so bad

So you're assuming right off the bat he'll cut the first one off???
more than likely
Originally Posted by GunGeek

Maybe the other one was so scared that it retreated upward.
Originally Posted by GunGeek

That's why you were given two, you know, The ol' "second chance" routine.

Nature's way of dealing with slow learners.....
Originally Posted by Hotload
great scene in the 007 movie Skyfall where the sexy black girl
used a straight razor to shave James Bond. Started me thinking

I'm sure Michelle would come over get naked and shave Ya. grin
That's all my grandfather ever used. I wish I had gotten his straight razors and his strop when he died. I have missed him much more than I have missed my father.
By all means, use a straight razor, with mug & brush. DOVO or the like is fine. The biggest part of the learning curve is the
degree of honing, stropping, sharpening that works best FOR YOU.
I've used one every day, nearly, for 12 years. It's more than
worth it. I'll never go back to a safety razor, even though I own some high priced ones. Not even with Feather blades. NOTHING is as good as a straight shave, once you figure it out. It's like tuning a rifle and working up the best load. Approach it like that, and you won't be sorry.
I tried it once. Just about scalped myself.
© 24hourcampfire