Home
Posted By: andrews1958 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/14/15
I have been out of the country for close to a year. Is 22 ammo still hard to find in the states?
Posted By: KFWA Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/14/15
if you are to listen to the experiences on here, I'd say yes

Some people report finding it, but the fact they are reporting it tells you its not in abundance.

Around my area the places that have it don't sit it out - you have to ask for it. The hoarders/resellers are still lining up on shipment day.
Posted By: sidepass Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/14/15
Yes and no. Managed to buy more than 10,000 rounds this year. Gave most away to the kids and friends. You have to look for it no doubt but its there and the prices are higher than before. Don't however have to pay the hoarder gouger prices.
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/14/15
If the demand for widgets was this great over this long of a period, producers would have answered the call long ago. I believe that other forces (government) is controlling/limiting distribution. To long of a time period and dollars to be made to be otherwise. GW
Posted By: seal_billy Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/14/15
I have been seeing more .22 ammo lately but still isn't like it was when you could just go out and get whatever brand/load you wanted. I saw 2 cases of .22 MAG yesterday and didn't have any cash on me and my debit card wouldn't read. I was out of town or I would go back and get it today.
Posted By: LostHighway Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/14/15
Depends on what .22 ammo you are looking for. If looking for inexpensive plinking ammo in like in Walmart, yes. If looking for the higher quality ammo, no.
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/14/15
I am in different Walmarts at least three times a week and during the last two years have seen a few boxes on the shelf one time. Local academy has 50 rd Mexican once in a while. Whole thing doesn't pass the smell test. Foil hat guy. GW
Posted By: benchman Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/14/15
Originally Posted by oldtimer303
I am in different Walmarts at least three times a week and during the last two years have seen a few boxes on the shelf one time. Local academy has 50 rd Mexican once in a while. Whole thing doesn't pass the smell test. Foil hat guy. GW
I have to agree with you. This shortage is taking a REALLY long time to abate. I am reluctant to shoot .22's at all, and only do when I have recently bought some. Actually looking for another rifle, but again, reluctant to do so until the supply gets better.
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/14/15
The shortage is still on. I'm almost curious enough to ask at Walmart when they get their shipments.
Just to watch what kind of dirtbags show up in the line.
Posted By: EWY Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/14/15
Lgs seem to have some .22 ammo. Walmart etc. not so much.

Ernie
Posted By: akrange Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/14/15
CDNN and Dunn's have all you want..
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/14/15
wait until the new laws in california take effect in 2017 or 2018, whenever it is banning all lead ammo, and see what happens to the prices.
Posted By: twinray Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/14/15
Thanks to our Governor in NY and his SAFE ACT, we can only buy in "face to face" transactions in NY stores. Internet shipments of ammo are taboo. Forget getting 22 ammo on Long Island. No one has any unless you want the expensive target ammo.
Posted By: ROMAC Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/14/15
I just saw it yesterday for $30 a brick at a local gun store. I know it was a deal compared to what it has been but I did not need it.
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/14/15
Ive not bought any for 6-8 months, but it seems to be a little more available, but prices don't seem to have come down any at all. although the scammers are still inciting fear in the populace.
Posted By: slumlord Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/14/15
Still aint readily available in Tn. But yet they still line up for it at academy and walmart. They all want that copper coated bulk crap so they can bury it under the goddamm school bus they live in.

Fortunately they leave well enough alone the $8 a box stuff. Their threshold is about $6 a box (norma tac). Which I can find plentiful.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/14/15
Still none here. Local store got one case of Federal cheap stuff about six monthes ago.
Originally Posted by akrange

None at either place.
Posted By: byc Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/14/15
I'm having more fun buying cool pocket knives and quality collector bourbon.

Screw it!
I just shoot my bows. It's not like I need practice with a gun. smile
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/14/15
Ammofast 22lr ammo

orders less than 25 lbs ship for $9.99

Posted By: sherp Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/14/15
Originally Posted by oldtimer303
If the demand for widgets was this great over this long of a period, producers would have answered the call long ago. I believe that other forces (government) is controlling/limiting distribution. To long of a time period and dollars to be made to be otherwise. GW

The producers are producing it. Easy to buy more when you can turn a $20 investment in to a $40-60 profit online, at the next gun show, or flea market.
Posted By: sherp Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/14/15
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
wait until the new laws in california take effect in 2017 or 2018, whenever it is banning all lead ammo, and see what happens to the prices.

Supply in other states should go up then.
Posted By: byc Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/14/15
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I just shoot my bows. It's not like I need practice with a gun. smile

I'm headed in that direction as well. Even have a strange urge to go crossbow. Must be the Walking Dead! eek

Plus I'm Cherokee injun so it just make sense.
Posted By: Scotty Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/15/15
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
The shortage is still on. I'm almost curious enough to ask at Walmart when they get their shipments.
Just to watch what kind of dirtbags show up in the line.

Asking when they get their shipment is a good idea. My local Walmart was getting their shipment late afternoon and the ammo was hitting the floor sometime between 6:00 and 7:00 PM. This was not a good time for the gougers as the working man was there waiting with them. I was able to pick some up myself. Most Wal-Mart have the delivery arriving in the morning and hitting the floor in the morning.
Posted By: akrange Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/15/15
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by akrange

None at either place.

I can help you order if you'd like..
Posted By: EWY Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/15/15
Just for general info: the Mexican made ammo that is branded as Olympic is good ammo. 40 grain solid hv ammo. Functions in everything I have. Decent chit.

Ernie
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/15/15
Am always amazed at the people convinced the Feds are behind the rimfire ammo supply shortage, when .223 Remington ammo is all over the place.

Am doubly amazed when they believe this when so many people report finding and buying rimfire on-line, and seeing the hordes of buyers whenever any rimfire shows up in stores.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/15/15
The guy at my local privately owned maw and paw hardware store informed me yesterday that they now sell ammunition. I was surprised and happy about it,,,,,, till he said just .22 ammo. I said how much, like I had to ask and like I knew it would be. He said not as much as most other places. I say ok, how much? He said 8.99 for 50, as looked at the shelf where the ammo was stacked and I saw CCI in paper boxes not the plastic boxes and bulk boxes of thunder bolts. I say how much for the cheap stuff bulk box? 72 bucks!!! I wanted to punch that stupid *%&$ in the face. If it weren't so convenient and if it weren't a small private buisness I would stop all trade with them. I still might but the next descent hardware store is 10 miles away and is a chain.

Posted By: RoadRunner65 Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/15/15
Was out getting cleaning supply's from my local shop. They had CCI Stinger 50 rounds for $7.00 and CCI greenlabel competition 100 count for $17. I bought 2 50 round stingers. Will go back for a couple more boxes tomorrow. My Smith .22 pistol loves them.
Posted By: sherp Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/15/15
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Am always amazed at the people convinced the Feds are behind the rimfire ammo supply shortage, when .223 Remington ammo is all over the place.

Am doubly amazed when they believe this when so many people report finding and buying rimfire on-line, and seeing the hordes of buyers whenever any rimfire shows up in stores.

Fascinating that the average American isn't much different than a Cargo Cult member isn't it?
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/15/15
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Ammofast 22lr ammo

orders less than 25 lbs ship for $9.99

Strange that whats in stock is manufactured in foreign countries.GW
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/15/15
I can get it locally, but not at kid in knickers prices anymore.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/15/15
I am glad I bought the 22 cal bullet mould when I did. I'm betting 22 cal mould sales have probably increased substantially in the past couple of years.
Posted By: cal74 Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/15/15
I'm running into it more frequently at slightly inflated prices but don't need any.

If/when you can buy a case at somewhat normal prices I'll probably by a couple more cases that will last me the rest of my life.
Posted By: benchman Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/15/15

I'm puzzled by people claiming there are hordes of people waiting when the truck comes in. I must be getting to the store at the wrong time. I have NEVER seen that. Tried going at all different times, too.
Originally Posted by benchman

I'm puzzled by people claiming there are hordes of people waiting when the truck comes in. I must be getting to the store at the wrong time. I have NEVER seen that. Tried going at all different times, too.

Yep because you would have also noticed the people buying it offering a few bucks to other shoppers to get in line in their stead to circumvent the X# of boxes per customer limit.
Posted By: tzone Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/15/15

Excatly! I was at a Gander Mt a year back to buy some turkey ammo they wouldn't put out the night before because of a big sale going on, the next morning, which was Saturday.

I got there and there was a line at the door waiting. When the door opened, everybody but a few dashed for the .22 ammo. I saw a man pull a box from another man. It was pretty sad.

Since then, I've found it almost everywhere I've looked except walrmart and fleet farm, but it's not $2/ box of 50 anymore. I'm not sure why everyone looks at walmart? I guess if walmart was where I bought my shooting supplies I'd only be shooting a 30-30 and a 12ga because that's all that's for sale at our walmart's around here.
I've been seeing cci standard velocity for $0.10/shot, which is tolerable IMO. The ammo I've seen more than $0.10/shot is sitting on the shelves in the LGS'
Originally Posted by tzone
[quote=Mule Deer] I'm not sure why everyone looks at walmart? I guess if walmart was where I bought my shooting supplies I'd only be shooting a 30-30 and a 12ga because that's all that's for sale at our walmart's around here.

May be a regional thing. I know of one store that stopped selling firearms/ammunition about 5 years ago, but started back selling ammo about a year ago and guns about 6 months ago. That store, plus another tend to stock only pumps, bolt actions, and single shots, but the others have AR's and pump/semi-auto riot type shotguns. All of them have 5.56, 7.62x39&51, .300 Black Out, 12/20/.410, .22-250, 9x19, .40S&W, .45ACP, .38, .357, .44, and so on. There are even slots on the shelves for .22 rimfire with the tags still showing roughly the same prices that were the case in November of 2012 and occasionally those slots have boxes of ammunition in them when an employee puts them out in the middle of the day instead of 7am which is when the signs say ammunition will be put on the shelves. There are even taped lines on the floor indicating where the queue for ammo starts.
Posted By: silver78 Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/15/15
Try Dicks for 22 ammo. As of yesterday most stores in MD had bricks of Remington in stock for about 5 cents per round. I think they loaded the stores for Presidents Day.

I think the 22 ammo shortage is slowly declining but it's not really over yet.
When the people buying and reselling it start worrying they will get stuck with their inventory and have to sell it at or below cost, then it will end.

It happened first with rifles because they couldn't handle getting stuck with a $700-1000 AR they were planning on flipping for $1500+ when more started to show up in stores to catch up to the initial demand. The 2nd change was with centerfire stuff. You started seeing non-military/self defense calibers start showing up first then the rest because it was too much potential overhead to get stuck with. All of that is something of a niche market. Always amazed they haven't figured out they could do the same with turkey loads right before the season comes in.

Rimfires are something different. They are cheap, nearly everyone that shoots has at least one, and no practical way to roll your own. Retailers doubling the price on it for awhile would end this in a hurry for the same reason the rifles and centerfire stiff are now available.
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/15/15
I've been seeing cci standard velocity for $0.10/shot, which is tolerable IMO. The ammo I've seen more than $0.10/shot is sitting on the shelves in the LGS'

$50 a brick is in excess of 100% markup above RETAIL. That, imo, is not tolerable.

I was shocked to find that prices were going UP around here on 22rf.

Thats EFF YOU pricing imo.
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/15/15
Originally Posted by sherp
Rimfires are something different. ... Retailers doubling the price on it for awhile would end this in a hurry for the same reason the rifles and centerfire stiff are not available.

Shelves still empty here, and when they turn up I have noticed prices continue to edge upwards. Perhaps what you mention above is happening.

I have enough to mess with for a while, and wont be buying at Eff U prices.
Posted By: DeereJohn Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/15/15
Theres a place over in Ravenswood that always has 22 ammo,but it's around $6 for a box of 50,and limit one per day. The last time I was there all they had was that American Eagle solid point stuff though...I might sound crazy,but I don't buy this it's in such high demand that the factories can't produce enough B.S..As much as the demand for shells,and jobs both is,the ammo manufactures could open new lines,It defies good business practices not to..I think that the government looks at most 22 rifles as little high capacity semi autos.I think the days of being able to get the Bucket-O-Bullet type deals for chicken feed are over forever.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/15/15
seen bricks of win m-22 for 46 dollars at academy this morning
bunch of fed ultra match
some aguila stuff

can get plenty of norma tac-22 and norma match-22
cci sv is readily available

just cant find any gawtdarned cci small game bullet

I got 450 rds of quality ammo (68 rds of them are crap rem thunderbolt) I want to sell for 30 dollars and morons around here think im scalping them
fugg I got 150 rds of cci select lead round nose
box of aguila rifle match
box of cci sv
75 rounds of cci velocitor
some eley target some norma tac22

probably around 45 dollars worth of ammo

I cant even sell a new box of 12 ga mag blend turkey shells 3.5in 2 1/4th oz for 15 dollars to morons around here
cause they think you are a scalper

im just trying to get rid of the stuff to buy some more norma match-22 and some cci sv with the same lot#

fugg em let em buy bulk packs from real scalpers on gunbroker or at the flea market or from the peddler newspaper

the stuff I have is just extra ammo from shooting to see what my gun likes best

shoots norma match-22 real well I got 200 rounds of those so im good for awhile
cci sv real well ( need to get about 200 of same lot #)
and cci small game bullet real well( if this becomes available in my area again im frigging buying as mauch as I can)

academy is a good place to check around here
and then midsouth shooters supply is about 2 miles down the road and they have the norma stuff pretty regular

norma tac- 22 is the rws target rifle round
norma match- 22 is the rws match rifle round

kinda funny like another poster said
lots of foreign ammo is out their to be found
norma
aguila
rws
gecko
ruag
lapua(wanna try the 40 gr hv hunting round)
sk

I think a lot of people want the bulk packs
and think of quality ammo as a bad thing
and the germans have definitely jumped full throttle into the u.s. rimfire market

look at how many different brands of ruag/rws ammo is being made under other brands for the u.s. market

I really don't mind paying 8 bucks for 50 norma match -22/rws rifle match
specially when the stuff will punch a 10 round hole at 50 yards in 3/8ths to less than 1/2 inch groups
but that is just me

p.s

the Remington thunder bolt was purchased a joke
it is spray and pray ammo for sure
hahahahaa!!!!!
Posted By: vapodog Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/15/15
I have no proof of anything except "the shortage is due to hording" just don't make any sense to me....Between Federal, Winchester, Remington, CCI and other mfr's the capacity to produce should have filled any demand a long time ago. There is something very fishy going on here..

Just a guess now.....but I believe they are either being exported in huge quantities or they are being bought off the market by the Obama admin.....In my eyes the laws of economics prevents hording for this period of time.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/15/15
It's still rare to find around here, and high-priced when it shows up occasionally.

Originally Posted by DeereJohn
I might sound crazy,but I don't buy this it's in such high demand that the factories can't produce enough B.S..As much as the demand for shells,and jobs both is,the ammo manufactures could open new lines,It defies good business practices not to..

Because as soon as they up production much at all the resellers won't want to get stuck with ammo they can't flip for a 200-400% so they will stop buying and there will be a huge surplus of rimfire in the pipeline.
Originally Posted by vapodog
I have no proof of anything except "the shortage is due to hording" just don't make any sense to me....Between Federal, Winchester, Remington, CCI and other mfr's the capacity to produce should have filled any demand a long time ago. There is something very fishy going on here..

Just a guess now.....but I believe they are either being exported in huge quantities or they are being bought off the market by the Obama admin.....In my eyes the laws of economics prevents hording for this period of time.

They aren't being hoarded, not being sold out of country, and not being bought by the Feds. Just peruse auction sites, firearms forums that have ammo sales sections, gun shows, and flea markets and you can find all of the rimfire you could ever want.
With this crew, I'm guessing the Walmarts' are out of tinfoil as well.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/15/15
I wanna know who is hoarding all the dam cci small game bullet cci item #0058

fugging stuff is accurate as heck in my savage mkII with bull barrel

good enough to pop a squirrel between the eye and ear out to 50yds when I can do my part and get a good shot on a fugging tree rat...

I think a lot of raw materials brass lead copper powder primers got diverted filling the big govt 5yr order several yrs ago,between that and the hoarders it has had a effect on manufactuers in the u.s. producing .22 at pre conn shooting levels and pricing

fuggit
I will buy german ruag/rws corporation ammo marketed under other brands

stuff drives tacks

until cci can shyt out some small game bullets
I will buy their standard velocity stuff
push comes to shove
I know aguila rifle match is accurate as heck also(kinda dirty though is why I broke away from it)

all that black paper box 100 cci sv you see being scalped on gunbroker
was walmarts fall/Christmas stocking last year
went for 7.99 a box

fugging scalpers need a swift kick in the nads

I see em all the time at academy
looking for bulk packs
of spray and pray stuff

I love making comments at the counter
when their boo-bbo faces see no bulk packs out

I say stuff like, "man you all aint got no rifle match today"
or "man you guys aint no cci small game bullet yet"
or "man you aint no fed gold medal target hv"

"naw I aint wanting none of that misfiring 6moa federal automatch crap or win wildcat or rem golden bullets bulk pack crap"

the clerks know im figging with these scalper hoarder guys

bunch of old tacticool 27 pockets pants wearing guys

or tackleberry wanna gunshop pro types

one looks like cotton hill from king of the hill

another looks like a old walrus with his hat and goatee

another looks like skeletor from he man

don't think any of em have anything else to do except hoard ammo or scalp it in the peddeler paper

the dudes adviod me like the plague
cause they know I think they are p.o.s.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/15/15
I haven't seen a box of any kind of 22 in over two years. Other than mine of course.
Posted By: DeereJohn Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/15/15

They aren't being hoarded, not being sold out of country, and not being bought by the Feds. Just peruse auction sites, firearms forums that have ammo sales sections, gun shows, and flea markets and you can find all of the rimfire you could ever want.
These re-sellers(scalpers) are just piss ants to the ammo manufactures .They have zero influence on production.The reason you always see it being re-sold at such profits is because in the big picture they are really scarce.If they were abundant the re-sellers would be in such competition with each other that the prices would drop down to such a level that it wouldn't be worth re-selling..It's kinda like living in a country at war,and saying you can buy all the sugar,or coffee you want on the black market.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/15/15
I haven't seen lines since this past fall. Nowadays there simply isn't any 22 ammo on the shelves other than blanks - and it isn't even warm enough to be out shooting. I thought is was pretty clever that Federal was making up packs of hermetically sealed ammo for the doomsday crowd……..and everybody in line was buying it for kids' use, small game hunting, or trapping needs.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/15/15
I just got back from Dick's sporting goods in Binghamton NY. They had 500 rd. bricks of Thunderbolts for 25.00, 325 packs of Federal auto match for 19.99, Winchester 333 packs for 19.99 and Winchester 222 packs for 14.99. They also had boxes of 50 Rem and Win. .22 shorts. I picked up 2 more boxes of the Federal auto match. That brings me up to 8,000 rds. I've bought since this past Oct.. Dick's, Gander Mountain and my LGS have had .22 ammo in stock almost continuously here for the past few months.
Posted By: duckster Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/15/15
3 stores that sell ammo in our town, none have .22 LR with any regularity and I am 25 miles from a Scheel's, Cabelas etc and they don't have any either.
Posted By: RJL53 Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/15/15
Was just in my small local gun shop and watched a city dweller buy three 100rd boxes of CCI .22 for 21.99 each. Sorry but I think my days of supporting the local guns shops is over with that type of gouging. They also had 22mag 50ct boxes for the same 21.99 ea. Screw them I don't need any of it that badly. They didn't even kiss him before they screwed him either!
Posted By: Lockhart Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/15/15
Shun that one for sure. PSA has CCI 100 rounds for $11.99 which is gouging too but at least in the more Southern "genteel" manner.
Posted By: sherp Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/16/15
Originally Posted by DeereJohn

These re-sellers(scalpers) are just piss ants to the ammo manufactures .They have zero influence on production.The reason you always see it being re-sold at such profits is because in the big picture they are really scarce.If they were abundant the re-sellers would be in such competition with each other that the prices would drop down to such a level that it wouldn't be worth re-selling..It's kinda like living in a country at war,and saying you can buy all the sugar,or coffee you want on the black market.

I didn't say the resellers have any influence on production.

If there are relatively few resellers(remember I mentioned them paying people to buy ammo in their stead for them at Wal Mart) how can there be competition? They have zero interest in driving prices down.

The big question is, how much is the .22LR you have for sale?
Posted By: duckster Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/16/15
Just seems strange that after 2 years the hoarders/gougers still have enough cash to keep buying up the supply.
Posted By: rost495 Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/16/15
Originally Posted by duckster
Just seems strange that after 2 years the hoarders/gougers still have enough cash to keep buying up the supply.

Lets say that someone got in a million rounds of rimfire today.

They paid low price like it was 4 years ago or so. ANd decided they will sell it for normal cost like it was 4 years or so ago.

How long do you think it will last? Last I counted I think I have quite a bit of 22...

But when it comes back at normal dealer type costs per case I'll be buying a few more cases minimum.. and a case of rat shot, a case of 22 mag( don't even own one) and a case of super colibri so I'm stocked for next go round or life...

Hence it will be a while before the costs go somewhat back to normal.

Primers did the same, powder doing the same, have heard brass has been just as stupid lately... it comes and goes in cycles...
Posted By: duckster Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/16/15
Some of the guys that I see with gouged price .22 at the gun shows don't look like they have the cash to continue a buying spree like that, given that I also don't see that many crowding around to buy their over-priced wares.
Posted By: rickmenefee Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/16/15
Wal-Mart had plenty this morning.
Posted By: Redneck Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/16/15
I've been seeing cci standard velocity for $0.10/shot, which is tolerable IMO.
?? $50/brick is 'tolerable'? Eeeek..

Not to me it ain't... smile

Was in Fleet Farm yesterday and, as usual, the shelf where the .22 ammo is located looked like Mother Hubbard's cupboard... I don't even bother with Wal-Mart any longer.

But I did notice (other topic, sorry) that the powder supply in the local store's getting back to near-normal.. A couple months ago they had only about 20% of what they normally stock on hand.. Last week it looked like it was back to about 80% of normal.. That, at least, was a bit encouraging..

Posted By: garyh9900 Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/16/15
I remember being able to go in Wal-Mart and buy a 550-round brick for under $10 and never had a problem with them being in stock.
Posted By: tzone Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/16/15
Originally Posted by renegade50

I am! My stuff loves it.
Posted By: tzone Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/16/15
Originally Posted by Redneck

But I did notice (other topic, sorry) that the powder supply in the local store's getting back to near-normal.. A couple months ago they had only about 20% of what they normally stock on hand.. Last week it looked like it was back to about 80% of normal.. That, at least, was a bit encouraging..

Your little local shop is where I buy powder! laugh Seriously, I don't even look anywhere else. I don't load much and they have I like.

Which reminds me, I need to check out the used guns there. I damn near walked out with a pretty sweet 336 in .35 Rem last time.
Originally Posted by Redneck
I've been seeing cci standard velocity for $0.10/shot, which is tolerable IMO.
?? $50/brick is 'tolerable'? Eeeek..

Not to me it ain't... smile

Was in Fleet Farm yesterday and, as usual, the shelf where the .22 ammo is located looked like Mother Hubbard's cupboard... I don't even bother with Wal-Mart any longer.

Hmmm not everyone reloads, but practically every one that shoots has a rimfire......
Originally Posted by duckster
Some of the guys that I see with gouged price .22 at the gun shows don't look like they have the cash to continue a buying spree like that, given that I also don't see that many crowding around to buy their over-priced wares.

Someone buys it or they wouldn't have it out. Similar to buying gas for many people, no matter the price.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/19/15

I am! My stuff loves it.
mad crazy laugh
Posted By: bruinruin Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/19/15
We won't see widespread availability of 22LR until the gougers have given up making a buck AND the guys who are determined to never have to worry about supply again have satisfied their appetite for rimfire ammo by laying in a lifetime supply.

Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/19/15
1- Nobody has explained why there's foreign ammo available but so much less domestic.

2- There is no denying that democrats being in control are the root cause of the various gun, ammo, and component shortages. Whether it's govt or manufacturer imposed production restrictions, various tin foil theories, scalpers, whatever, the democrats are the cause of it. That's what needs to be remembered at election time.

Posted By: deflave Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/19/15
I just bought another case.

Travis
Originally Posted by deflave
I just bought another case.

Travis

item#0058
cci small game bullet

?????????

laugh laugh laugh
Federal auto match or WTF they call it.

Travis
Posted By: wageslave Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/19/15

I just heard heads exploding......
TFF.

P.S. I have never bought a round of offshore 22 rimfire. Ever.

Travis

rimfire gauge it
you might find a couple of groups of rds the same thickness outta the box that will group consistent

shot it with slumlord
he had a box of it
shot a 10 rd group
told me all I needed to know
groups in random bunches of 2-3 rds in the 10 shot string

1.5-2 inch stuff at 50yds

good for autoloaders and plinking, fun shooting

crapola outta a good bolt gun

just saying..............................
Posted By: 379 Peterbilt Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/19/15
There was a post in the classifieds here last week with 4 bricks of 22lr thunderbolts for $120 shipped TYD.

All of it sold in like 8 minutes.

rimfire gauge it
you might find a couple of groups of rds the same thickness outta the box that will group consistent

shot it with slumlord
he had a box of it
shot a 10 rd group

Thanks for the chuckle.

Travis
Originally Posted by 379 Peterbilt
There was a post in the classifieds here last week with 4 bricks of 22lr thunderbolts for $120 shipped TYD.

All of it sold in like 8 minutes.

crazy laugh crazy crazy laugh
Originally Posted by wageslave

I just heard heads exploding......
TFF.

P.S. I have never bought a round of offshore 22 rimfire. Ever.

No Agwheelahs?

Those kick ass. They have a Spanish accent when they hit stuff.

Travis
Posted By: wageslave Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/19/15

I have purchased aguila centurion in 5mm rimfire....
It's all I could find, for 15 bucks a box.

The gophers don't speak Spanish.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/19/15

Travis

rimfire gauge it

shot it with slumlord
he had a box of it
shot a 10 rd group

Hmm. I tried Automatch in my Green Mountain barreled 10-22. 3 shot groups at 50 yards hovered at around a half inch.
Posted By: Certifiable Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/19/15
Pancho, I've got a bit of their rifle match but never had much luck with it out of any of my .22's. I also think green tag is no Bueno, but both of those shot decent out of the new predator..?? I need to open up up the barrel channel a bit as I think these should be better.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: slumlord Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/19/15
2" groups after those 20 bowls of dope we smoked

Originally Posted by bruinruin

Travis

rimfire gauge it

shot it with slumlord
he had a box of it
shot a 10 rd group

Hmm. I tried Automatch in my Green Mountain barreled 10-22. 3 shot groups at 50 yards hovered at around a half inch.

good for you!!!!
shoot a 10 shot group and give us some feed back
glad it works for your 10/22
probably bleeding off some of the velocity in the blow back action from the round and making it go thru the barrel slower and improving your accuracy
not to mention a green mountain barrel
you got an after market trigger on it too???

I bet if you shot it thru a stock 10/22 it wouldn't group so good

too much ya gotta do to a 10/22 to make em shoot good it seems like

don't know why they just don't make em with all the bells and whistle stuff in the 1st place????

Travis

jeez a case of 10 bulk packs for a total of 3250

wow
musta cost the better part of 300 bucks
Originally Posted by slumlord
2" groups after those 20 bowls of dope we smoked

you had some herb on ya?????

we smoked it?????

bogart.....................................
laugh laugh laugh

wow

Money isn't a concern of mine.

Travis
me neither
Honestly, I just buy it so nobody else can.

Drives the Mannlicher's and VarmintGuy's of the world to the edge.

Travis
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/19/15

wow

Money isn't a concern of mine.

Travis

Like me, if I aint got it, it isn't a concern!!
I got a whooping 150 rds myself of shooting ammo.
and 450 rds of assorted stuff I have played around with seeing what shot accurately

hopefully I am not putting a dent in any hoarders inventorying their bunker stash

god forbid that....................
Posted By: Hotload Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/19/15
Originally Posted by seal_billy
I have been seeing more .22 ammo lately but still isn't like it was when you could just go out and get whatever brand/load you wanted. I saw 2 cases of .22 MAG yesterday and didn't have any cash on me and my debit card wouldn't read. I was out of town or I would go back and get it today.

.22 MAG -- WOW would I like to get some of that!
Posted By: benchman Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/19/15
Originally Posted by Hotload
Originally Posted by seal_billy

.22 MAG -- WOW would I like to get some of that!
Do not know where you are in Md, but the Tackle Box in Lexington Park has it, now and again...
Posted By: Hotload Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/19/15
I would be on 22MAG like a rottweiler on a big steak bone !!!! Plan to call and head over there as soon as I get off work.
Posted By: byc Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 02/19/15
HL--If you really need it then I could send you some!

Do like I did. Start collecting bourbon and take up bow's! grin

David
Posted By: silver78 Re: 22 Ammo Still Scarce - 07/29/15
Waking up an old thread.

Here is a link to a recent article (July 2015) predicting the end of the 22 ammo shortage. Do you believe it?

http://bearingarms.com/22lr-ammo-drought-end/
© 24hourcampfire