Home
Posted By: wabigoon Superstitions - 03/01/15
Anther Friday the thirteenth coming up.

Anyone have any superstitions?
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Superstitions - 03/01/15
I have good luck on Friday the 13th. Always have.

I do have others though.

Won't wear a yellow shirt to a rodeo.

Won't drive a green car.

Won't eat peanuts at a rodeo.

Won't put my hat on the bed.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Superstitions - 03/01/15
Whistling underway
Posted By: byc Re: Superstitions - 03/01/15
Burning trash on Sunday = Man in the moon.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Superstitions - 03/01/15
Posting on any day that ends in '...day' about the attributes of good cops because it can bring cries of ridicule, threats of terrorism, and general unpleasantness.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Superstitions - 03/01/15
I have to see the Doc. about my blood on that day, so hope all gos well!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Superstitions - 03/02/15
I saw a cardiologist on the last 13th.
I'm still here, but good luck all the same.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Superstitions - 03/02/15
My father would never put his hat on the bed. Bad luck. Conversely he always claimed that Friday 13th was his "lucky day."

My wife says it is bad luck to put any black clothing on the bed. When I asked her why, she said her mother said it was very bad luck so it's bad luck. Her mother was 100% Scots and we all know that the Scots find stuff to be superstitious about everywhere! grin

L.W.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Superstitions - 03/02/15
Friday the thirteenth was good for Sue and me. We quit working for the most unreliable company I ever heard of.

I heard in a lecture by a Ph.D. scientist with degree in astrophysics: "Evolution is a superstition with absolutely zero evidence."
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Superstitions - 03/02/15
I know some people do or don't do certain things out of habit, and I suppose that's kind of a superstition, but does anyone really believe that its bad luck,or has any sort of affect in the real world at all?
Posted By: dawggone Re: Superstitions - 03/02/15
Don't believe in superstition
Posted By: 700LH Re: Superstitions - 03/02/15
Be a good day to get lucky.
Posted By: poboy Re: Superstitions - 03/02/15
Titty dancers always unlucky for me.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Superstitions - 03/02/15
Only one.
I don't work on the 5th Saturday in February.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Superstitions - 03/02/15
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Anther Friday the thirteenth coming up.

Anyone have any superstitions?

My first date with my wife was on a Friday the 13th (unintentional). We were married on a Friday the 13th (intentional).

We found out we were pregnant with our first son on a 13th and found out we were pregnant with our second son in room #113 at the local doctor's office.

Started my latest job on a 13th.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Superstitions - 03/02/15
Every time I load a pistol magazine I spin the top round around until the headstamp is centered on the top. It's especially lucky when I'm shooting Winchester brass and the top round says "WIN" when I look at it.
Posted By: eyeball Re: Superstitions - 03/02/15
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I have good luck on Friday the 13th. Always have.

I do have others though.

Won't wear a yellow shirt to a rodeo.

Won't drive a green car.

Won't eat peanuts at a rodeo.

Won't put my hat on the bed.

But, will you work cattle on a horse with 4 stockings?

13 is a good number for Christians.
Well, knock on wood men, and keep your fingers crossed.

All the old sayings are interspersed in our culture.

Art Linkletter used to say, "People are Funny".
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Superstitions - 03/02/15
I'm not superstitous at all--but there are certain rules you have to follow

When headed down the Nipigon River you take Head Island on the port side downbound and the same coming back upriver--Head Island on the Port side--doesn't matter that there is plenty of deep water on both sides. Rules are Rules

Never ever bring a blue fish box aboard this boat. Rules are Rules

Spit on the first minnow--thats a rule.

When setting up the downriggers--port side first--thats a rule.

You can't harbour overnight at Ingall pt on a full Moon.--thats a rule

If your bunk is in forecastle you sleep with your head toward the bow--thats a rule.

I'm not in the least bit superstitous but Rules are Rules
Posted By: Dale K Re: Superstitions - 03/02/15
2 from my mother in law:

She wouldn't take a knife from your hand, you had to lay it down and she would pick it up. Something about cutting your friendship was the reason.

Everyone in your group had to walk around the same side of a post/bollard/pillar or you would end up in a fight with the person who went around the other side.

She's gone now but lives on in my wife still does the post/pillar thing. I go along to keep her happy.

Dale

Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Superstitions - 03/02/15
Friday the 13th was the day the King of France executed all of the Knight Templar that he could round up. Wonder if Masons consider it unlucky ? wink

I'm not superstitious about any thing.
Posted By: eyeball Re: Superstitions - 03/02/15
Its bad luck to drive drunk or play in the highway.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Superstitions - 03/02/15
I'm still waiting to go blind!
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Superstitions - 03/02/15
No. I even used to go out of my way to walk under ladders.
But out of respect for my mother, I wouldn't step on a crack . . .
Posted By: whodat Re: Superstitions - 03/02/15
High speed blowout for me, and an accident for my stepson on Friday the 13th. Worse yet is Christmas eve, lost my father and stepfather on that date.
Christmas eve is low key around our place.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Superstitions - 03/02/15
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
My father would never put his hat on the bed. Bad luck. Conversely he always claimed that Friday 13th was his "lucky day."

My wife says it is bad luck to put any black clothing on the bed. When I asked her why, she said her mother said it was very bad luck so it's bad luck. Her mother was 100% Scots and we all know that the Scots find stuff to be superstitious about everywhere! grin

L.W.

I resemble that!!! mad

No wait... That should be resent... that’s right, I resent that!!! grin
Posted By: Teal Re: Superstitions - 03/02/15
Never befriend or drink with a man who uses the following terms in conversation at any time:

tummy
potty
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Superstitions - 03/02/15
kkahmann;
Good evening to you sir I trust the weekend treated you well and thanks so much for the most excellent explanation of "the rules". grin

Honestly I'm not superstitious either - well maybe a wee bit when it comes to hunting....

So I've had two hats that were sorta good to wear when I was out chasing things and there always had to be a blue silk bandanna too. I had a red one once and never so much as killed a coyote when I wore it.

With the blue one on - stuff happened, even way back when.
[Linked Image]

So in the fullness of time that hat wore out and I bought another one. On the way out calling coyotes the first time I wore it, my good wife says "If you don't shoot anything Dwayne, don't be sailing that hat out the window on the way home!"

I shot two coyotes that day and the hat has been golden ever since. Note hat and blue bandanna (one of two new ones that both work) that the short fellow next to the Appy with the dead deer strapped on board her.
[Linked Image]

After reading your post and fully understanding what's gone on, I've now reached a point of enlightenment where I realize it's not mere superstition but logical rules. wink grin

Thanks again sir and all the best to you this spring.

Dwayne
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Superstitions - 03/02/15
I don't think I have any superstitions, and I consider the number 13 lucky if anything.

My MIL is all sorts of superstitious and my wife has picked up a few of those as well. Women folk just seem prone to worrying, I guess superstitions is a way for them to try and make sense of their worrying.
As always, good to hear your inputs Dwayne.

Like the winter camo suit.
Posted By: LouisB Re: Superstitions - 03/02/15
Two people can go on opposites sides of something as long as one says, "Bread and butter."
Posted By: nifty-two-fifty Re: Superstitions - 03/02/15
I couldn't think of any hunting superstitions affecting me until I saw Dwayne's picture with the coyote.

White-line spacers. (UGH).

I don't know if it is a superstition or a rule, but please don't make me hunt with a gun with white-line spacers. Sure to be bad luck in the making. LOL.

I have removed a few white-line spacers from otherwise good guns in my day. Sort of akin to an exorcism, I think.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Superstitions - 03/02/15
Not superstitious at all but many people I know won't close a knife some one else opened.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Superstitions - 03/02/15
Originally Posted by VernAK
I'm still waiting to go blind!

lmao!

though you did seem to be squinting a bit last time I saw you

course with the looks of your eye doc, a guy can't be too careful, perhaps you should check with her regular

well unless she's the cause of your uh, er.... malady grin
Posted By: smarquez Re: Superstitions - 03/02/15
My sister and quite a few women won't set her purse on the floor, saying it will bring bad financial luck.
Anyone remember the Deadwood episode where the Bullocks kid was being buried? The whores had about 50 superstitions about funerals.
© 24hourcampfire