Home
Good read from an objective study that analyzes real data, not computer models.

http://business.financialpost.com/2...te-earths-19th-little-ice-age-has-begun/
but just think how bad this would be if it were not for AGW kinda balancing the scales. laugh
bump
We need to put more CO2 into the air and stop this coming ice age.We better hurry or we will freeze to death.
I'm thinking the ruskie hasn't read much h of Al Gore's stuff......
Originally Posted by jdm953
We need to put more CO2 into the air and stop this coming ice age.We better hurry or we will freeze to death.

You don't understand, global warming will result in an ice age. Glaciation requires snowfall at the poles. Significant polar snowfall requires temperature moderation. Increased greenhouse gasses lead to global warming and result in polar temperature moderation. So, ironically, global warming precipitates an ice age.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I'm thinking the ruskie hasn't swallowed much of Al Gore's stuff......
fixt it, mag. wink
Originally Posted by kingston

You don't understand, global warming will result in an ice age. Glaciation requires snowfall at the poles. Significant polar snowfall requires temperature moderation. Increased greenhouse gasses lead to global warming and result in polar temperature moderation. So, ironically, global warming precipitates an ice age.

Now explain how all the hot (ok, cold) spells ages ago were caused by man and the need for an auto ban. crazy)
An Ice Age is a glacial episode where significant portions of the earth are covered in ice sheets. Glaciation results from the build up of snowfall. It snows and snows. Snow piles up and piles up and piles up. As snow continues to pile up, it compresses and pushes out at its base. The kind of intense snowfall required for glaciation is not possible without warmer temperatures at the poles. The extremely cold polar temperatures of the past 10,000 years or so have prevented this kind of snowfall. Precipitation is dependent on moisture being present in the air. Extremely cold polar temperatures mean very little moisture is present arctic air and thus little arctic snowfall is possible.
And according to that idiot Democratic senator...if the ice builds up at the poles...the Earth may flip over.
Originally Posted by Dan Chamberlain
And according to that idiot Democratic senator...if the ice builds up at the poles...the Earth may flip over.

That sir deserves a posting of the said happening.

Originally Posted by eyeball
Now explain how all the hot (ok, cold) spells ages ago were caused by man and the need for an auto ban. crazy)

That's another matter not included in my previous posts. That said, my understanding is the oceans are the most significant reducers of atmospheric CO2, with CO2 consuming ocean plants and algae being responsible for the majority of CO2 reduction and O2 production. Debating the factors responsible for decreased presence of CO2 consuming ocean plants and algae is not something that I intended to take on. This process is addressed in a mechanism called the "carbon cycle". I suppose that you could google it if you wanted.

I felt that it was important to point out the counter-intuitive reality of conditions leading to glaciation and set out to do so. If I've failed in my explanation that would certainly be up for debate and within the scope of my comments. Government regulations and the root cause of climate change is outside of this scope.

Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by Dan Chamberlain

That sir deserves a posting of the said happening.

Albeit excruciating to watch, that's one of the most hilarious things that I've seen in a long time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol oligopolies OMFG!!!!
Dammmmmmmmittt

Now all the dinosaurs is gonna freeze to death & get extincted

Mike
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

Only 19 ice ages would seem to suggest a young Earth, no? Not billions of years, but only thousands.
Ohhhhhh, who to believe... shocked

I was thinking of upgrading the air conditioning, because of global warming...

and now, according to this ruskie, I may need to upgrade the heating system.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions! crazy
Originally Posted by achadwick

Only 19 ice ages would seem to suggest a young Earth, no? Not billions of years, but only thousands.

Ice ages are typically extended periods of time lasting millions of years. There have been at least 5 major ice ages, lasting from 2 million years to over 300 million years. These "little ice ages" are another matter.
...Only 19 ice ages would seem to suggest a young Earth, no? Not billions of years, but only thousands.

Only 19 LITTLE Ice Ages that they have been able to map with ice cores and other geological data.

Remember, the "theory" is that the Earth was much hotter for eons before cooling down enough to support life.

Ed
Eat more beans....
i just gassed up the Super Duty. i'm doing my part

I'm thinking you don't understand anything but what algore tells you. laugh

Ice ages are typically extended periods of time lasting millions of years. There have been at least 5 major ice ages, lasting from 2 million years to over 300 million years. These "little ice ages" are another matter.

I guess so, since Vostok ice core carbon samples shows Cycles of about 150,000 years.
I just read Habibullo Abdussamatov's paper and while I'm not currently in a position to respond to it in it's entirety, I did have one thought I will mention. Abdussamatov argues that, "Natural causes play the most important role in climate variations rather than human activity since natural factors are substantially more powerful. Antarctic ice cores provide clear evidence of a close coupling between variations of temperature and the atmospheric concentration of carbon dioxide during the glacial/interglacial cycles of at least the past 800-thousand years. Analysis of ice cores shows that the concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere follows the rise temperatures very closely and lagged warmings by 800±400 years. During the glacial/interglacial cycles the peaks of carbon dioxide concentration have never preceded the warmings. Therefore there is no evidence that carbon dioxide is a major factor in the warming of the Earth now. Considerable changes of the atmospheric concentration of carbon dioxide always determined by corresponding temperature fluctuations of the World Ocean."

Abdussamatov seems to be arguing too much at once. His article goes to great lengths to align reduced TSI (Total Solar Irradiance) levels with periods of glaciation holding up specific astronomical data a means of mapping certain climate changes. He then veers off course offering arguments against another completely different sort of data, namely that concerning CO2 concentrations in ice core samples. These secondary arguments are largely unsupported and have little or no bearing on his original topic, TSI levels and their relationship to climate change.

As I read Abdussamatov's paper, it occurred to me that, if there were a group of global players who had a vested interest in the continued use of fossil fuels, Russia would be one of them. Further, efforts by them toward propping up any and all arguments against the relationship between fossil fuel consumption and climate change would not be novel.

But...the earth is only 6000 years old...isn't it?
Originally Posted by ringworm
But...the earth is only 6000 years old...isn't it?

Well.... , yea there's that whole issue.
Eat more beans!

Jim
© 24hourcampfire