Home
Here's my top five...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Never saw The Searchers or the Shootist?
Wayne could act, one only has to see the Searchers or Red River to see it. Also True Grit, the Shootist. He just didn't get asked to do it much, since he got paid lots of money just to be John Wayne on the screen.
Originally Posted by MojoHand
[Linked Image]

I'm afraid I have to agree with him on Chuck Norris.

But you left out John Claude Van Damee. One of the very worst actors, ever IMO.

Saying John Wayne was a terrible actor is akin to saying Obama was the best POTUS ever! Your Terrible Wrong on that one! And you'll have to smoke at least a couple of turds in hell!
What about Nicholas Cage?
Dudes...

I had to whittle it down to five.... laugh

I could go on and on and on....
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by MojoHand
[Linked Image]

I'm afraid I have to agree with him on Chuck Norris.

But you left out John Claude Van Damee. One of the very worst actors, ever IMO.

Saying John Wayne was a terrible actor is akin to saying Obama was the best POTUS ever! Your Terrible Wrong on that one! And you'll have to smoke at least a couple of turds in hell!

seems i understand the reason why wayne walked the way he did was his silk thong underwear kept bunching up.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
John Wayne, how could you....you will burn in hell! ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
whos the first one?????
Originally Posted by fluffy
whos the first one?????

Consider yourself blessed! grin
Wayne was pretty bad.

Not near as bad as Costner though.
Worst Actress every, but she is a contender for best boobs:

[Linked Image]
John wayne was a pretty good actor. He had a way of saying things and carrying himself that few can match. That is something right there.

I would put quite a few under him. I would put Steven Segal on your list as you have. I also have to agree with the buxom beauty that managed to be a Bond girl too!
Gotta disagree with you about John Wayne. I would have liked to know him personally. I think he would have been one heck of a friend to have.
Where's Bill Clinton?
Originally Posted by PSE
Gotta disagree with you about John Wayne. I would have liked to know him personally. I think he would have been one heck of a friend to have.

I agree, plus I saw a interview on his boat. He was a patriot and pulled no punches when it came to race and the entitlement crowd.
Originally Posted by Bigfoot

Obviously not...
Kevin Costner for sure. The only movies he didn't totally suck in were Dances with Wolves and Hatfields and McCoys.
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Obviously not...

Anybody familiar with the John Ford quote after seeing John Wayne in, I believe, The Quiet Man? "I didn't know the big SOB could act."
Costner? He was great in Bull Durham.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Wayne was pretty bad.

Not near as bad as Costner though.

Costner is good in sports movies. Everything else he did was Waterworld bad.
One of Wayne's great lines, although totally stupid, was one time when he got shot in the leg. His total line? "Ow".
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox

Obviously not...

Anybody familiar with the John Ford quote after seeing John Wayne in, I believe, The Quiet Man? "I didn't know the big SOB could act."

And my favorite Wayne movie to boot.
Dances with Wolves is a terrible movie. It is an Indian worshipping movie which idealized the Indians, wolves and attacks western society. It is just like Avatar.

Obviously not...

And my favorite Wayne movie to boot.

By far my favorite John Wayne movie. I think if John had not been so typecast, he would have surprised his most severe critics. But most people wanted to keep him in the action hero role.
Lots of folks apparently can't separate bad movies from bad actors.

My top 5 worst would have to include Denzel Washington. He's the same character in every movie he plays. A greasy voiced, too cool for school schmoozer with a range of facial expressions that only a rock could envy.

But he is very successful.
Ok maybe all you guys love Nicholas Cage but think he sux.
John Wayne? Blasphemy!
The worst actor we have ever had is currently playing the role of POTUS !
For acting ability, some of the Bond girls were beyond horrible. They could have gotten some eye candy that could actually act a little if they tried.

Jane Seymour, and Diana Rigg were the best.

The worst? That's a long list.

Lois Chiles as Dr. Goodhead in Moonraker.

Kistina Weyborn in Octopussy

Halle Berry and Rosamund Pike in Die Another Day

Non Bond- Elizabeth Shue was horrible in The Saint but maybe none are as bad as Kate Capshaw in IJ - Temple of Doom. They made those otherwise watchable movies unwatchable.

Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

[Linked Image]

This is number one in my book.
Originally Posted by Bugger

[Linked Image]

This is number one in my book.

The picture right under his gets my vote. The guy plays a cop just about ALL the time.
She went into semi-retirement to raise a family, but she was really huge for a decade or so. I'm talking about Andy MacDowell. She had to be THE WORST actress I've ever seen. She was absolutely awful.
I refuse to see anything with Hugh Grant. I'd rather watch weeds grow.
Terrible actors who had successful careers.

[Linked Image]
Bird seasons over butthorn.

Originally Posted by seal_billy

The only reason this azzhole ever made a movie is because his father ( or maybe his uncle ) is high level Hollywood type.
Originally Posted by Hotload

The only reason this azzhole ever made a movie is because his father ( or maybe his uncle ) is high level Hollywood type.

He's part of the Coppola family.
Originally Posted by bruinruin

He's part of the Coppola family.

Thats it .... as in Francis Ford Coppola
Jack Palance played the same crazy dude in every movie I ever saw him in.
LMFAO! Sometimes chitty acting is still entertaining.
Alan Alda - he just was himself most of the time as Hawkeye in M.A.S.H. When he tried to "act" beyond just being himself, he was not good. His roles in other shows/movies exhibit the same.
Read once John Wayne's assets were over $750 MILLION not counting a huge ranch in Arizona!

I'd be a bad actor for that!!
Didn't he own a converted minesweeper as a private yacht?
Originally Posted by JoeBob

True.

But he did it quite well!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[
[Linked Image]

On the other hand, his former 'other half', certainly the better, Nicole Kidman, is a great actor who has had a very successful career. Anthony Hopkins is another who has been great. Clint Eastwood is one of my favorites, but he suffers from some of the same problems which have 'blacklisted' others in previous posts (which I don't necessarily buy).
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
Kevin Costner for sure. The only movies he didn't totally suck in were Dances with Wolves and Hatfields and McCoys.

Open Range and Field of Dreams.
Lets not forget the Gipper Ronald Reagan. "B" Movie actor to president of the USA. That is success.

The original Monte Walsh was an exception, still a little quirky but he acted straight. Its very hard to find so I went to UTube to see about uploading mine which is something I've never done but someone from Przygodowcryzeckistan beat me to it. Worth watching for sure.

Obviously not...

It was "Red River" IIRC it was Howard Hawks who directed it and John Ford directed the movie "The Quiet Man."
USS YMS-328 or the "Wild Goose" John Wayne's yacht was damn near lost due to deterioration and decay, but fully restored as much as possible to the way Wayne had it after going through the hands of a couple new owners after his death. It now runs dinner cruises in Newport Beach I believe.

Link

That being said, Wayne was just barely a mediocre actor at best, which could really be seen in the attempted block-buster movie where he played Genghis Khan in "The Conqueror".

But unlike most actors of the day, he filled a niche and to the most part was happy to continue to play those type of parts. In fact I think at least in his latter years, and especially after "The Conqueror" he was really leery of attempting anything else. But in that little niche that he filled, there was only a few that could even come close to being as good.

Phil

exactly!!! I can't think of one movie he did that wouldnt have been better with someone else playing the part he did. Ghost Rider would have been better with anybody playing Johnny Blaze. The rock was a good movie but I hated the way he played the part. He sux,,, plain and simple, no acting skills.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130523190938/friends/images/6/61/Joey_friends.jpg

http://www.davidhasselhoffonline.com/desktopwallpaper1024x768hoff/DesktopWallpaper1024x768Hoff17.jpg

The original Monte Walsh was an exception, still a little quirky but he acted straight. Its very hard to find so I went to UTube to see about uploading mine which is something I've never done but someone from Przygodowcryzeckistan beat me to it. Worth watching for sure.

Best western ever.
Jack sitting on the porch with Lee Marvin.
โ€œMonte, nobody gets to be a cowboy forever.โ€
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Wayne was just barely a mediocre actor at best, he filled a niche and to the most part was happy to continue to play those type of parts.

Phil

BS on your first statement, agreed on the second which is why he stuck to that kind of acting. His performance in The Searchers was superb as was in The Quiet Man, two completely different roles. Everyone liked him as the "White hat" hero and that's why he stuck with it, and in his latter years, he married those parts to his political views.
Elvis Presley immediately comes to mind. Liked most of his music but a horrible actor in my opinion.

I must be the only guy in America who disliked the character Wayne played in "The Searchers".
I read the book long before the movie came out and had an entirely different picture of that character.
Ben Johnson could have pulled it off much better.
Of the older actors, I think Randolph Scott is pretty bad but once you get used to his cadence, he's been in some very enjoyable movies.
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Wayne was just barely a mediocre actor at best, he filled a niche and to the most part was happy to continue to play those type of parts.

Phil

BS on your first statement, agreed on the second which is why he stuck to that kind of acting. His performance in The Searchers was superb as was in The Quiet Man, two completely different roles. Everyone liked him as the "White hat" hero and that's why he stuck with it, and in his latter years, he married those parts to his political views.

Hondo is John Wayne being the best John Wayne. I liked him in Red River as well.

I think people that don't like Wayne in the Searchers just don't like his character and that gets in the way of his acting peformance.
Can't believe Bruce Willis didn't make the list.
I liked John Wayne, but he couldn't act. He looked like he could act in a few movies that were written so he could just act naturally and be himself. That ain't acting.

But I don't consider that a negative. Seeing someone on screen just being themselves is convincing.
Originally Posted by Akbob5
John Wayne, how could you....you will burn in hell! ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
yup !
Wayne usually did great in a role meant for Wayne. You would think that Bogart and Cagney sucked too if you based your opinion on the one or two westerns they were in.
Can't think of their names, the two boring sorts in Butch Cassidy and the Sun Dance kid. I never saw a film the either of them did that I could sit thru.
The worst of the worst is Ben Afleck or how ever you spell his name.

Jim
John Wayne was the best actor there has ever been at playing John Wayne. Otherwise, he kind of sucked.
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

Best western ever.
Jack sitting on the porch with Lee Marvin.
โ€œMonte, nobody gets to be a cowboy forever.โ€

Great movie, one of the best and maybe my favorite western also. Was a great performance by him and and also Lee Marvin.
Just my opinion, but the only movies I thought he even showed a little bit of acting in and in the order I liked the best.

The Wings of Eagles
The Quiet Man
In Harm's Way
Angel and the Badman
The Fighting Seabees
Hellfighters
Donovan's Reef
McQ
Brannigan

Politically he was as wishy-washy as McCain and Romney...

Phil
Monte, Chet and Shorty ride slowly into town. Shorty spurs his horse and at the stable entrance pulls the horse up hard and slides off the back lading on his feet.
Shorty: Hey Monte, can you do that?
Monty: Sure.
Shorty: Well then lets see you do it.
Monte swings a leg over and steps out of the stirrup onto the ground: Well I just did.
Shorty: What are you talking about?
Monte: Well you got off your horse I got off my horse. Your standing on the ground I'm standing on the ground. Ain't That right Chet?
Chet slowly dismouts: I guess we all did it Shorty.
-------------------------------------------------
All these actors could ride a horse.
Originally Posted by Gaviidae_Esq
Costner? He was great in Bull Durham.

Just notice you've returned after an absence of 6 years. Where've you been, Gav?
How about this old actor, Victor Mature,good god!
Originally Posted by 1Longbow
How about this old actor, Victor Mature,good god!

He agreed with you and he had a sense of humor.

Mature was famously self-deprecatory about his acting skills. Once, after being rejected for membership in a country club because he was an actor, he cracked, "I'm not an actor โ€” and I've got sixty-four films to prove it!"[13][14] He was quoted in 1968 on his acting career: "Actually, I am a golfer. That is my real occupation. I never was an actor. Ask anybody, particularly the critics."[15]
© 24hourcampfire