Home
Posted By: stxhunter fence - 05/15/15
my damn fence fell over. the ground is so saturated that the post, concrete and all pulled up out of the ground and fell over.
Posted By: rem141r Re: fence - 05/15/15
i blame the mezzicans
Posted By: rost495 Re: fence - 05/15/15
Not to mention trees all over too... fences were only a matter of time. Saturate, and then let the wind blow a bit...
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: fence - 05/15/15
Gotta be Bush's fault.

That or global warming.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: fence - 05/15/15
Originally Posted by stxhunter
my damn fence fell over. the ground is so saturated that the post, concrete and all pulled up out of the ground and fell over.

Found a live, healthy 20" oak down today for that reason.

That oak's not keeping my dog corralled though.
Posted By: krp Re: fence - 05/15/15
Just drove to the grocery and this saguaro fell on one of my neighbor's fence. These 'domesticated' saguaros get way too much water, grow fat and top heavy... usually have a couple a year fall over just in our neighborhood.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: EdM Re: fence - 05/15/15
As wet as college...
Posted By: TheKid Re: fence - 05/15/15
Originally Posted by krp
Just drove to the grocery and this saguaro fell on one of my neighbor's fence. These 'domesticated' saguaros get way too much water, grow fat and top heavy... usually have a couple a year fall over just in our neighborhood.

[Linked Image]

How do you handle something like that? Seems like about the nastiest possible chainsaw job what with all the needles and goop flying everywhere.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: fence - 05/15/15
Not knowing a damned thing about it, it salvaging it was out of the question, my first inclination would be to torch it.
Posted By: krp Re: fence - 05/15/15
I did one with a bobcat, though I've seen guys cut them up. Pieces are heavy and hard to handle by hand.

Kent
Posted By: BrotherBart Re: fence - 05/15/15
You ave plenty of help living under your roof Rog. Put them to work. smile
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: fence - 05/16/15
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
You ave plenty of help living under your roof Rog. Put them to work. smile

I keep telling him the same thing!
Posted By: stxhunter Re: fence - 05/16/15
they held up the fence, i tied it off to some T-post to hold it in place till things dry out. i'll put in a couple new posts after things dry out.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: fence - 05/16/15
Originally Posted by krp

[Linked Image]
i have seeds from one of those but have not tried to grow them yet.
Posted By: azcoues Re: fence - 05/17/15
The problem is the same - heavy rains the soil gets soft and these gaints topple

mainly because they are all transplanted and the roots aren't a solid as those which have grown in the same soil all there lives

ever see how they chop off all the roots to transplant and then have 2x4's holding them upright for a yr or more so the roots start to grow agin

Kent is correct - top heavy + soft rain soaked soil a little 30 mph gust - over they go !

Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: fence - 05/17/15
Those saguaros weigh about 80 pounds per foot. Would not be a fun job to clean one up.
Posted By: GregW Re: fence - 05/17/15
I did one of those last year Kent with two bee hives in it. Talk about a mess.
© 24hourcampfire