Home
Hi Guys:

It was my pleasure and privilege to post "Trophy Coues Deer in the Arizona Backcountry" on the Homepage.

It was an awesome hunt, and I can only commend and recommend Arizona Backcountry Guide Service, run by Greg Williams (GregW) and Chris Ringler (Chris_R_aka_Ringo).

I hope they will chime in and answer questions as well, because truly, they made it happen, and I just came along for the ride.

I hope you enjoy the article, and I would be proud to answer any questions that I can.

[Linked Image]

Still loving that buck!
Great coues buck, Mr. Bin. Those bucks live in some very inhospitable terrain at times.

As evidenced from the article, one can never GLASS too much on a coues hunt!
Well done, amigo!
Excellent Coues for sure!

I can honestly recommend Greg as well. Heckuva guy, and pretty much lives and breathes hunting. He walks the walk. smile
Who be the ugly feller with the deer?

grin

...and, congrats!
Yup, I was wondering why Billy Bob Thorton was posing with Rick's buck........

Congratulations Rick! Nice Buck.
AKA efin elf deer!

Great job!
Awesome deer and great write-up!

Thanks for this site too.
Wow!!!! Nice buck!
If this is the official page...then I can tell you officially that you suck...

Nice coues!

BTW: Hunted predators with Gregs brother in Jan...he knows his stuff too! grin

Great story!

Congrats to all.
Beautiful buck, hunter, well, not so much. wink
35A?
Awesome! A lot of stuff packed into one day. Crazy! The cat is a good parable. What you thought was out to get you and spoil your joy actually saved it and added much to it.
It was a long day but Rick did real well -

I had multiple 100+" bucks spotted in the same general basin that Rick wanted to go after. This buck I hadn't seen at all prior to this day.

Rick did real well especially after sitting on this buck for over 10 hours.
Originally Posted by ingwe
If this is the official page...then I can tell you officially that you suck...

Nice coues!

BTW: Hunted predators with Gregs brother in Jan...he knows his stuff too! grin

Yes he does. Bruce is a good guy, too.
There's nothing like coues hunting. I don't care if I kill one anymore I just want to hunt them. Tough rough country and if you backpack after them it's a real adventure.

I wasn't able to hunt my 29 leftover tag last year, but did go down to NM for a buddy's hunt. First thing we glassed up was 3 lions. A mama and 2 adult offspring.

I may get serious this year, my 84 year old dad is jonesing for some breakfast venison for biscuits and gravy.

Kent
coues deer is the one trophy I want to go after. never seen one but have always liked them from what I've read and researched. maybe one day it will happen. awesome buck Rick!
Rick,

You did a great job. It was a long day but well worth it, congratulations on a great buck.

This was not taken in unit 35. It was taken with a tag that can be had with little to no points. There are two great things about Arizona:

1) Most every unit holds great Bucks if you put in the time to find them.
2) If you don't have time to build points for the "trophy hunts" you can still draw a great tag your first year you put in.

If anyone has any questions please don't heastate to give us a call.

Chris
520-437-5437

Greg
520-240-1893
I forgot what unit we took it in. whistle I do know it was an easy draw, which speaks a lot to the prescouting you guys did.

Question: you guys seeing the video?
To answer your question first, I don't see a video.
Second, great hunt and a nicely done article.
Congrats, I'm pretty certain hard work and skill was more important than luck.
There should be a video embedded in the article, of THE buck before he bedded own.

I appreciate the sentiment, but I gotta admit I was danged lucky to hook up with Greg and Ringo in getting this buck.

I'll take it, too. smile
No video for me.

just got done reading the article, Ric. Nicely done.

But seriously? 48 year old knees? GMAFB, Nancy! smile

You ain't seen nothing yet.
Very nice Rick! I have been down twice and seen good deer both times. Rain washed us out the first year. Buddy got a great buck the 2nd. My luck held steady...tag soup grin Kudos man!
Not seeing the article on the homepage. Your link brings up "The Optical Triad: Magnification, Eye Relief, and Field of View"
Ironbender:

My 48-year-old knees are actually pretty OK ... Until they have to keep up with 28-year-old knees. smile. The good part about being my age is I can look at the whippersnappers and tell them I would have buried them when I was their age. whistle

I will say this, though. Trekking poles are the stuff

eh. Cookies, man. Get there and hit refresh noob. smile
28-year old knees?!?!

6 years ago they were...grin....

Rick, congratulations on your very nice Coues Deer. Thank you for posting your story. Looks like a hard hunt at times, yet very rewarding.

Thanks again.

Interesting country and animal. Very nice.

Trekking poles--yes!
Hunted many times down there. beautiful country. that is a huge deer! what rifle and load? ron
Rick, time has not been well to you my friend. When we first met, you had merely fell from the ugly tree and hit a few branches on the way down. Now it appears as though someone chased you down and beat you with an ugly stick!

Great buck though, you SOB!
Ron, load was a 168 berger from a .300 Winchester Magnum I believe....
Great story Rick, and an awesome buck for certain.

The bad news for me is that at 65 and on the seriously pudgy side (ok, FAT), something like that will never be in the cards for me. Fortunately, my sons, in their thirties now, have decided to go for it before time and life gets the drop on them. They're prepping for a Colorado bowhunt for elk this season, backpacking in. With a bit of luck, I'll be able to at least help them eat some elk. My teeth, anyway, are still pretty good.😛
© 24hourcampfire