Home
Posted By: Steelhead Gas Can - 05/29/15
Does someone have a source of supply for a couple of 5 gallon cans that don't require 82 trick moves and kissing the Pope's ring to get gas out of?

Thanks
Posted By: heavywalker Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
Don't forget to thank a liberal for your troubles.
Posted By: heavywalker Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
Ebay has some of the older style cans available, you can also find different nozzles that will fit your can that allow free flow.
Posted By: deflave Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/939/48008/LC-LC2-Utility-Jug-with-12%22-Filler-Hose
Posted By: deflave Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
http://www.amazon.com/Pit-Posse-Uti...;sr=8-4&keywords=dirt+bike+fuel+cans
Posted By: Grunt_0351 Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
http://www.amazon.com/Super-buy-Jer...3&sr=8-1&keywords=steel+fuel+can

Goin old school
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
Auction sales are your friend for steel gas cans that actually pour gas.
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
Originally Posted by Grunt_0351
[Linked Image]
Goin old school

Steely must have bought a Harley...
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15

This is what I've moved to. 5 gallon jug used in the past mostly by racers, motocross guys etc. beats the hell out of anything else out there. I buy mine from the local power sports dealer. About $35 for the jug and filler hose.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
Scott;
Good afternoon to you sir, hopefully you and yours have had an acceptable week.

The last time my wife and I were in Costco I was surprised to see a plastic 20 liter jerry can that had the overall shape of a military metal one. Not only that it had the rear vent like the older plastic ones have, so maybe it's easier to pour with?

I know the ones we have at work are the regularly available ones with the "safety" pouring spout and they have me speaking in tongues quite regularly.....

Anyway I tried to find one to show you on the online thing at Costco but was unable to - sorry.

I did see that Scepter makes one with a rear vent but it looks like they combine it with that vented "safety" spout.

Good luck on your jerry can search Scott and all the best to you folks this summer.

Dwayne
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
Another vote for the 5 gallon race jugs.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: joken2 Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
If you already have gas cans Tractor Supply have these replacement nozzles. Customer reviews sound like they were well pleased with them.

EZ-Pour Replacement Spout Kit
Posted By: ringworm Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
No school like old school.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: saddlering Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
I bought a couple of the old school ones pic above at garage sales! screw them new safe ones!
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
If you already have a PITA gas can, this makes your life easier.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/ez-pour-hi-flo-replacement-spout-kit?cm_vc=-10005

Expensive, for what it is, but worth it. Reduced my cussing considerably. wink
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
Originally Posted by joken2
If you already have gas cans Tractor Supply have these replacement nozzles. Customer reviews sound like they were well pleased with them.

I have these and while they beat the heck outa the spring loaded "let's slop some gas on the floor" new ones.

alas they're not as good as the old originals because the nozzle doesn't fit down inside the can/jug for transfer purposes.

another solution is to buy 5 gallon water jugs and use the spouts from them, but 3 out of the last 7 I bought someone had lifted the spouts from them.

my 14 old original gas jugs and spouts are a prized possession, lordy but I hate the new ones with a passion.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
Google or youtube "vent gas can" lots of ideas
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
Our local Army Surplus store still has the old military surplus versions.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
replacement spout - TSC

Use your old cans with this
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
Originally Posted by joken2

I bought a metric schittload of these things including adapters for old school .mil jerry cans which eliminates the need to track down a donkey dick spout.

Fahq Kommiefornia and fahq the EPA goons.
I know that the newfangled gas can contraptions are supposed to be safer and reduce spillage and prevent fire dangers...

Am I the only one that can't use these without spilling gas all over everything?

Even when they work, and you manage to get some gas out of the can, you can count on a few cups leaking all over everything beneath the spout.

Tell me how much safer those are. whistle
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
Does anybody know if TSC sells any replacement spouts?
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

laugh

The link I posted was to the high-flow ones.

I use those on my diesel cans. They empty the gas can quick.. that way I don't have to hold a gurgling can chest high while it trickles a small stream out for 15 minutes. wink
Posted By: rost495 Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
I actually can use the new ones and rarely ever spill any.

Doesn't mean I like the contraptions.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15

Pay attention cowboy.
Originally Posted by rost495
I actually can use the new ones and rarely ever spill any.

Doesn't mean I like the contraptions.

If you run out, let me know... I have plenty of "take offs" laying around... grin
Posted By: smarquez Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

[Linked Image]

Nice jugs!
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
I have old one but use one of the new ones for the weed eater. I just take the nozzle off when I fill the trimmer and don't care if I spill some gas. Liberals can screw up anything and gas cans prove it!
Posted By: poboy Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
Garage\Estate sales. People here just put unwanted
stuff out on the curb. Might find one anytime. One time
I found a huge glass jar of water with all these tea-bags
in it. Just sittin' in sun. I don't know why..It was
really good tea.
Posted By: pira114 Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
This is the only metal can I'll use anymore.

http://www.jerrycan.com/
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Does someone have a source of supply for a couple of 5 gallon cans that don't require 82 trick moves and kissing the Pope's ring to get gas out of?

Thanks
Buy one of the goofy ones, modify it to be a normal can and be done with it. I feel your pain man. Idiots who upturn a can of gas over an open flame and the sue the can maker like it's their fault! Soon we won't be able to buy a gas can anymore.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
Originally Posted by smarquez

[Linked Image]

Nice jugs!

Yep.

What are those green things..
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
Lots of 5 gallon cans here. Anyone have a link to something around 2.5 gallons?
We find them easier to transport in rough terrain. My plastics are starting to get tired.
Posted By: Billc Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
Get the race Jugs while you can. Still holding 5 old jeep 5 gal cans and love them. EPA will probably ban those soon.
Posted By: pira114 Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Lots of 5 gallon cans here. Anyone have a link to something around 2.5 gallons?
We find them easier to transport in rough terrain. My plastics are starting to get tired.

These guys have them. They're measured in liters, but the small one is about 2.5

http://www.jerrycan.com/
Posted By: joken2 Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
We have one 5 gal. round top metal kerosene (blue) can with an old style pour nozzle that's still in good, usable shape. I bought that thing new back around 1988-1990.

What few old style commercial metal gas cans I've seen at yard sales, resale shops and auctions haven't been used in so long there's rarely ever even a hint of any type of fuel odor with the cap off and haven't looked very trust worthy to me as far as rust build up inside and possible leaky seams.
Posted By: mohave_mauler1 Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
I bought some nato style ones off cheaper than dirt before they became price gougers or before I noticed they were gouging folks. They work really well. I think both cans and a filler were like $70. They were steel as was the filler spout and the spout had a vent. Have bounced around the desert on the back of my jeep for 4-5 seasons now without spilling a drop.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

Pay attention cowboy.

At least rockinbbar got it...
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
We just use empty 5 gallon hydraulic oil buckets.

They don't tip over, you can empty them quickly and gas thieves usually aren't smart enough to take them out of the back of the pickup.

And they are free.
Posted By: whipholt_wahoo Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
https://www.menards.com/main/tools-...ies/5-gallon-metal-gas-can/p-1691506.htm

this is what your after.
thank me later.
Posted By: charleeontop Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
In the early 1980`s we had a gov job shut down because we were useing a military can with funnel to fill a motor on top of a asphalt kettle (450o)because it was not a saftey can. http://store.interstateproducts.com...Can_Red?gclid=COfDpOPF6MUCFZGDaQodhqAAqA
since we have to use them I have found them not to bad pricey
But does anyone know of a gas can that has had more testing done than a GI GAS CAN (bull [bleep] you ask me)
Posted By: Seafire Re: Gas Can - 05/29/15
Local Army Navy store carries plain old Gerry Cans...
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Gas Can - 05/30/15
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Thanks

there is a youtube video around on how to convert on of these new gas cans with all the safety devices back to one that actually works, pretty simple.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lcnwdIYEfI
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Gas Can - 05/30/15
Originally Posted by charleeontop
In the early 1980`s we had a gov job shut down because we were useing a military can with funnel to fill a motor on top of a asphalt kettle (450o)because it was not a saftey can. http://store.interstateproducts.com...Can_Red?gclid=COfDpOPF6MUCFZGDaQodhqAAqA
since we have to use them I have found them not to bad pricey
But does anyone know of a gas can that has had more testing done than a GI GAS CAN (bull [bleep] you ask me)

I threw every plastic can away and bought several of those eagle cans. Problems solved.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Gas Can - 05/30/15
Originally Posted by ringworm
No school like old school.

[Linked Image]

i have a couple of those from the jimmy carter days.
but i am still using WWII jerry cans.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Gas Can - 05/30/15
Another vote for the EZ spout kits. I love em.
Posted By: BigNate Re: Gas Can - 05/30/15
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

Pay attention cowboy.

At least rockinbbar got it...

LOL! Capt. Obvious
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Gas Can - 05/30/15
Originally Posted by SamOlson
We just use empty 5 gallon hydraulic oil buckets..

We used to use the military 10 gallon hydraulic drums when I lived in AK. They have the same bung-holes as a 55 gallon drum so you can use jerry-can spouts in them. We'd snowmobile in 60-70 gallons of gas in the wintertime for the following moose season. smile. It really was all about the logistics.

But back to the OP. My first choice would be to go the EZSpout route of motorcycle racing jugs. Clean, available, and easy. Just costs you a few extra bucks (usually about $8-$10 for the spouts if I remember correctly).
Posted By: BigNate Re: Gas Can - 05/30/15
The slickest for offroad no spilling I've seen lately was a RotoOax I've seen them in use, no leaks, even laying on their side.

I'd be willing to try the NATO jerrycan but like the spout tucking inside the lid.
Posted By: okok Re: Gas Can - 05/30/15

[Linked Image]

What do these go for? (babe not included)
Posted By: CCCC Re: Gas Can - 05/30/15
Originally Posted by poboy
Garage\Estate sales. People here just put unwanted
stuff out on the curb. I found a huge glass jar of water with all these tea-bags in it. Just sittin' in sun. I don't know why. It was really good tea.
You 'musta picked up that tea in front of my old Aunt's place - she lives in Central Texas and puts out sun tea for passersby.

Her formula: Partly fill the jar with water, put in some used tea bags and then take a healthy pee into the jar to fill it. Can't help but question 'yer taste, but glad it was good.
Posted By: poboy Re: Gas Can - 05/30/15
Orneriness runs in the family, huh? grin
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Gas Can - 05/30/15

[Linked Image]

Is it just me, or do those jugs look lop-sided to you guys too?

grin
Posted By: CCCC Re: Gas Can - 05/30/15
Originally Posted by poboy
Orneriness runs in the family, huh? grin
Yeah - one bad genetic trait. grin
Posted By: Bootsfishing Re: Gas Can - 05/30/15
Tractor supply

http://media.tractorsupply.com/s7viewers/dhtml/images/spacer.gif
Posted By: RogueHunter Re: Gas Can - 05/31/15

Having good luck with these.

http://www.amazon.com/Crown-Automot...3069983&sr=8-29&keywords=GAS+CAN
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Gas Can - 05/31/15
I bought a couple of new plastic ones from Wall Mart, WTF is wrong with this damn country. We have raised a generation of morons.
Posted By: oldotter Re: Gas Can - 05/31/15
I'm told you haf to b schmarter than the equipment you be using.... wink
Posted By: rost495 Re: Gas Can - 05/31/15
Actually I said I have had no issues with new cans.

Last night I spilled out of an old can as I was not paying attention and the spout flipped when I pulled it back out.

But then it dawns on me, there may be worse contraptions than what i have. IE I may not have new.

I have some that have a lever on the side, you flip to pour, and then squeeze a lever like a fire extinguisher and pour. NEver had an issue wiht those.

Think now, I've seen some other contration on the nozzle that you have to compress like the damnable fuel fill nozzles some states had/have...
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Gas Can - 05/31/15
Originally Posted by rost495
Actually

Think now, I've seen some other contration on the nozzle that you have to compress like the damnable fuel fill nozzles some states had/have...

That is on the 1 gal can I use for the trimmer. I just take it off and pour right out the can. Now sometimes I spill some gas where I didn't with the old can. Stupid design.
© 24hourcampfire