Home
Helped my youngest son move into an apartment last night; he is getting married Saturday. My youngest daughter moved to Utah a week ago and is getting married during elk season ( poor thing). My wife says we have to remodel now eek

I have mixed feeling about the whole thing. At least 3 of my grandkids live real close!
Congratulations.

I look forward to not seeing my kids any more.

Clark
I'm not looking forward to that myself 3 more yrs our youngest will be in college doing great things.. Yes I did say I'm not looking forward to our youngest leaving the house kids are great to have around
Originally Posted by 79S
I'm not looking forward to that myself 3 more yrs our youngest will be in college doing great things.. Yes I did say I'm not looking forward to our youngest leaving the house kids are great to have around

I am with you, youngest will be leaving in 4 years. We have enjoyed our 2 boys and 2 girls.
It's a big adjustment, an empty house is a strange thing when it happens all of a sudden.

A better time is when the last one gets out of college, that adjustment is much easier.
Originally Posted by deflave
Congratulations.

Clark

They maybe thinking the same thing. shocked grin
Money always keeps your kids in touch!
Originally Posted by Partsman

They maybe thinking the same thing. shocked grin

They don't have any kids.

Dave
Congratulations.

Clark

I moved my Daughter home from college yesterday. The family room is now full of tote boxes and more clothing than is commonly found in the average 3rd World village. Oh, and the car insurance went up, now that she's driving. In about a week, I'm sure that I'll be wishing that she was back at school.
We were never allowed to come back or ask for more money.

Travis
You're never home anyway--why do you care? laugh
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Helped my youngest son move into an apartment last night; he is getting married Saturday. My youngest daughter moved to Utah a week ago and is getting married during elk season ( poor thing). My wife says we have to remodel now eek

I have mixed feeling about the whole thing. At least 3 of my grandkids live real close!

Toss your old lady on the bed and make another one .

You still have Ruby? whistle
Dennisaz: Its gonna be real "quiet" around your place - I had trouble getting used to that, actually.
Have that trio of grandkids over often to "remind you".
Congratulations are in order though for you and your wife getting your young'ins off and on their own way.
Congratulations on that.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

be careful what you say about that girl daughter getting married. My now son in law was kind enough to ask for her hand, my daughter. i said i didn't have any problem, but where was the gelt? Expect the woman, you gotta pay. I made a joke about goats.
So day of the wedding at granite park in prescott, all standing up there, they lead out two pigmy goats on leash's which reside in my back yard too. Now this ocurred on the opening day of elk season, and i had a tag. So the weekend was spent with the goats.
They seem to remember some off hand remark that if he would marry her i MIGHT donate a mint 45willy's flat fender. Operational word is might. I reneged, being the person that i am.
Son in law worked out pretty good tho, the deer i shot last year i was too crippled up to do the work, so he did it all for me.
one good thing, or bad, depending on the son in law, is you don't really get rid of the girl daughters. They just bring the husbands home with them. Lots of times the boy childs are kidnapped by their wives families.
Congratulations.

Clark

I miss you too Dad, haha
Well, The Wife and I married 2 weeks out of high school. Had the 3 boys pretty quick. They move out early and made their way.
Now we have 2 grown Grandsons, a Grand Daughter, and a beautiful 6 yr. old Great Grand Daughter living with us. Three of them will move the first of the year to their new home.
I kinda like a little noise around the house.
I have two out and one that will graduate high school next year and head to college. We love them all but, frankly, we are looking forward to it. It will be our time again.
There's a lot to be said for being able to just lock the house and go whenever and wherever you like. Also for not losing sleep while you wait for a teen to get home. Then there's the suddenly lower food bills, the extra room, the parking space, the quiet...
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
There's a lot to be said for being able to just lock the house and go whenever and wherever you like. Also for not losing sleep while you wait for a teen to get home. Then there's the suddenly lower food bills, the extra room, the parking space, the quiet...

Amen, amen, and AMEN! laugh

Ed

It will be so nice to have my parking spaces back for sure. Looked like a used car lot around here for a while!

You're never home anyway--why do you care? laugh

That's true. I'll work on it.
Originally Posted by bea175

Toss your old lady on the bed and make another one .

TFF laugh

Travis

You never spent summers at your parents' home when you were in college? I spent the first two summers living at my parents' home while in college, spent the third at Ft. Bragg at ROTC Advanced Camp.
One girl gone already and other daughter will be a senior next year.

I'm dreading it already.

Youngest is damn good kid (they both are) and I'm going to miss her badly as we are extremely close.

Its a bittersweet experience. Wives usually have the most difficulty coping. Took my wife good part of a year to get used to an empty house.
It's bittersweet for sure. I liked having my boy around but it was good to see the fruits of labor ripen and watch him make his way in the world just as he was taught.

I imagine it will be the same way with my daughter.

You forgot lower light bill!

When my boy was showing the wife and I around the house he would turn the light off when we left a room ,I would turn it back on. were done looking at the bedrooms and he turns to go down the hall and says "what the hell", the wife and I burst out laughin' he says "funny guys, real funny".
Wife and I each had 3 kids when we got married 20 years ago, all kinda young. First "alone" time as a couple was about 5 years ago when the last one moved out. It is great to see them, but we love being empty nesters for the first time after starting with 6 kids.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Travis

You never spent summers at your parents' home when you were in college? I spent the first two summers living at my parents' home while in college, spent the third at Ft. Bragg at ROTC Advanced Camp.

My dad told us if we went to college we would be allowed to stay at home for two years (intermittently if need be)as long as we worked and paid for all our own schit. He also told he would pay for the college tuition.

The thought of reading more books scared me so I started roofing houses.

Dave
I went home for a couple weeks after Fort Sill.

Given my vocabulary change, I think Mom was glad I left.
The "lower light bills" aspect does not apply here. It's amazing that my wife can find every switch in the dark, but cannot locate them when she leaves a fully lighted room.
My daughter told me last week they would put their house up for sale to see if there's any interest. They bought 3 years ago in the low point and now have a bunch of equity. They are looking at a new model in the same area. They listed it on saturday, the first family that looked at it offered full price on sunday.

Looks like we are getting a daughter, SIL, two grandkids and two granddogs, for 6 months while their new house is being built. The grandkids already have their own room here, the daughter gets her old room back

My wife is apprehensive... I'm the easy going one.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
My daughter told me last week they would put their house up for sale to see if there's any interest. They bought 3 years ago in the low point and now have a bunch of equity. They are looking at a new model in the same area. They listed it on saturday, the first family that looked at it offered full price on sunday.

Looks like we are getting a daughter, SIL, two grandkids and two granddogs, for 6 months while their new house is being built. The grandkids already have their own room here, the daughter gets her old room back

My wife is apprehensive... I'm the easy going one.

Kent

I'm sure that will go very well.

Travis
It will, the only issue is my wife doesn't like dogs in the house and the two dogs are housedogs.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
It will, the only issue is my wife doesn't like dogs in the house and the two dogs are housedogs.

Kent

Sounds like a recipe for success already.

Travis
Our water bills decreased proportionately as each of our three moved out on their own. Our toilet paper purchases really dropped a bunch as our daughters left.
The "lower light bills" aspect does not apply here. It's amazing that my wife can find every switch in the dark, but cannot locate them when she leaves a fully lighted room.

Did we marry sisters? laugh

Ed
One son married and working, one working and about to get married, and one left in college; the wife and I sure hope the dog doesn't run away.
I have one son... and he's really a very responsbile person, never has been an issue... he's in college now, but most of that has been at the local Community College...

he's never been a problem, he's been a joy to have as a parent..

when it is his time to go, I'll miss him greatly...

an idea of heaven to me is raising my son, over and over..

wish it took him 3 years to age one year when he was growing up..

they always want to get older, and I wanted him to get younger again...
Not me. The sooner they can stop schitting their pants and speak English, the better.

The sooner they can do laundry, the better.

The sooner they can find loose cash in other people's homes, the better.

Dave
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Sounds like a recipe for success already.

Travis

Thanks

Kent

good luck on the remodeling Dennis

" the only issue is my wife doesn't like dogs in the house and the two dogs are housedogs."

Kent - I kinda feel for you - having the young ones return or leave to the nest - even for a short time gives mixed emotions

Poor Cheryl- unwanted dogs in the house - I had to put up with cats - and I'm not a cat person but I survived
Not me. The sooner they can stop schitting their pants and speak English, the better.

The sooner they can do laundry, the better.

The sooner they can find loose cash in other people's homes, the better.

Dave

My twins are almost 9 and I think it was easier putting up with changing chitty diapers and trying to interpret jibberish of years gone by than to put up with the constant bickering and whining of today.

I'm still going to miss them when they're gone, though. The though of it just being me and my wife is.......I don't know, disturbing, maybe.
Congratulations.

Clark
I ain't buying that for a moment you big softy!
We were empty nesters, for a couple of months. Now the Soph in college decided she would move back home for the summer. I tried to talk her out of it, but was unsuccessful. She's hoping for room service, so I'm compiling a chore list for her. Hope she's back in her apartment by the end of the month.
So far, so good. We had them both out for a few months about 18 months ago buy knew it was temporary. It will be nice to make their bedrooms into spare bedrooms. Not sure what I am going to do with all the trophies in Levi's room. He only took one with him!
Dennis since you have the room I'm sending over one SIL and two dogs.

Kent
I'm already in hot water with Ruby.
© 24hourcampfire