Home
I'm matching what he's scraped together, so he'll be at $3K, tops.

When I was looking with his brother 2 years ago, the candidates were Corolla, Civic, Camry, Accord, Taurus/Sable, LeSabre, and a few Hyundai models.

Any other sleepers out there?

Thanks,

FC
I've got a 21 year old Civic with 230K miles that I've driven daily for four years. I have $1400 in the initial cost and subsequent repairs.

Based on that, I'd recommend one in a heartbeat.
2nd
A used Toyota , or Honda
Never owned one myself, but have friends with Civics old enough to vote...
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

A '92 Civic was the first car I ever bought new. Loved the hell out of it, but sold it when I got a company truck.

FC
Civic or Accord , the older Honda's seam to run forever.
No Taurus their engines are designed to fail at 100k and most do not make it that far before they start having problems.

My dad and my brothers both crapped out at about 75,000

My neighbor is a mechanic and has worked on quite a few and hates the motors in them.
Originally Posted by funshooter
No Taurus their engines are designed to fail at 100k and most do not make it that far before they start having problems.

My neighbor is a mechanic and has worked on quite a few and hates the motors in them.

Actually, my mechanic has said the Vulcan-equpped Tauruses are pretty good motors, but has implored us to let us have him check out anything we're interested in, before we plunk down the cash.

In this price range, every car is a sample of 1. We'll winnow-down the offerings before finding any that are worth taking to the mechanic.

FC
the one you have the knowledge to work on yourself.
Drove my first Honda Accord almost 200k miles. Gave it to my baby sister and she logged another 150k.
1995-2000 Mercury Grand Marquis check out auto trader
I had a chevy impala that drove like crazy, decent gas mileage and you could fit 2 deer in the trunk easy.
One negative vote for a Camry.

I bought one for my son two years ago with 125K on it. Nothing but problems until the transmission failed 8 months ago.

Put a used transmission in it and it failed two months ago. Just donated the POS to the local county Career Center rather than accept the $300 trade offer that I got.

No more used Camrys in my future.

donsm70
The mid-sized Hondas (Accord) and Toyotas (Camry) will offer a bit more crumple zone for a young driver than the smaller model offerings of the Civic and Tercel.
I am on the north side of 430k of a 1990 accord I am planning to buy it something perty at 5k. Would drive it anywhere any time.
Stick with the manual transmission and it will outlast his childhood!
K
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

Those old cars are sleepers. Those and the Crown Vic are such old grandma, uncool cars, they don't bring much.

I was talking to a Police Lieutenant this afternoon. I asked how their Ford SUV's were holding up. He said they weren't going to last like their old Crown Vics. He was telling me how much abuse those Crown Vics could take and keep on running. Grand Marquis is a Crown Vic clone.

Not too cool, but a lot of ride for the buck.

DF
Originally Posted by TBREW401
A used Toyota , or Honda

Beat me to it.
Buick LeSabre with the 3800 engine.
The main thing with used cars is how they were treated by the previous owners.
Nisson Altima ,bought it used.It went through two kids,a couple of wrecks,the only mechanical failure was ,the alternator went at about 150K.My son is driving a Corolla that we have had since new,its got 90k on it now with Zero failures of any kind.Had a new Honda civic.The gas milage was amazing,but it was the worst POS in snow that I have ever driven.And I have driven most of them!
Buy a Honda.
245k miles and counting. I finally had to put some money into it at 230k. The starter failed.
Accord or Camry.

This era's VW bug.
Toyota Corolla.

Ours has 240K and still going strong.
i am on my 2nd civic in 20 years. good cars. i can recommend the subarus too. 3k is a bit low though. you need to check out whatever you get real close. those imports can nickel and dime you to death after a while. my first civic was heading that way and i sold it for $1500. needed a/c, clutch, brake lines, exhaust, tires, etc.
Nissan Sentra B13 model. 1994 to a few years after. Hell
they are still making them in Mexico but with no emission standards. It is called the Tsuru.

Does it have to be a car. Lots of used small Nissan and Toyota trucks out there that are still bombproof.

Cash for clunkers took a big chunk of the used cars off the market for no other reason than to put more people in debt.
And hail damage is your friend.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Accord or Camry.

I bought a clean-lookin' 94 accord for one of the older offspring a few years back. 164K on the clock didn't sound like much, and it had the records for recent repairs. In under 15K miles, it went through distributor/wires/plugs, radiator, & head gasket before it finally threw a rod on I-75 at 2am as the kid was on his way to NG drill.

I'm not slamming Accords, by any stretch. Just sayin' the kid will definitely be assuming some risk at this price point, regardless of what he buys.

Originally Posted by krupp
Does it have to be a car. Lots of used small Nissan and Toyota trucks out there that are still bombproof.

I want more steel around him. Plus, I remember myself at 16 in 2wd mini trucks... it's a wonder I'm still here. blush

Has anyone had any experience with Hyundais in the past 10 years? The mechanic says they're actually fairly decent.

I also suppose I've gotta bone-up on which ones have timing belts, and which ones among them are interference engines.

FC
Example of one, so throw them all out..

Id buy something (doesnt really matter what) from a family friend or coworker, you'll know the history of the car, and what your getting into.
I drive a 98 Civic to work every day, 130km round trip. They are pretty good little cars, fuel efficient too. Not the most comfortable but not terrible for an average size guy. Mine has around 300 000km on it, I expect it to do a fair bit more. My dad drives nothing but Toyota, usually Camry's and has taken a few up to the 450 000km range before rust took them.
honda civic or toyota truck.
Hondas and Toyotas are really good cars. Most likely better than the American made small cars. The reason I never buy Honda or Toyotas is cause I buy older used ones. They are not worth the price but they get it cause of a good reputation. There are a lot of good smaller cars that are almost as good and some are as good but noone knows it cause USA made cars have a reputation they are not nearly as good but much cheaper on the used market. An example is my 91 Saturn, 4 cyl, manual, no air and roll down windows. I bought it for 900 bucks 3 yrs 3 months ago. I put on 55k. The odometer went out @ 147k, I needed a new alternator ( $110 myself) a $430 ignition module too. A 24 yr old car for $900 bucks and $550 in repairs is as good a the average Honda / Toyota. My son went with a 2000 Dodge Stratus. At 84k , and some paint peeling it didn't need anything. No problems yet but only has it 5k and 7 months. My wives 2dr 2003 Dodge Stratus has 147k. We had a clutch slave ( $177) and one other thing I dont remember but was $400 repair. So, $600 in repairs in with 147k ? Not bad. One thing I will tell ya about American cars. They ride better most of the time. We tested an 05 Civic 4cyl. At 65MPH the engine was @ 3100 RPM. It was loud and s stiff ride. Japanese Don't spend as much time with comfort, only dependability. This is something that does't get brought up when talking a comfortable ride. The seats on a lot of Japanese cars suck too.
Accord or Camry.

The old Crown Vics and Grand Marquis may not be quite as reliable. But they're pretty damn reliable.

Plus they haul ass and really knock the fugg out of garbage cans. Just be sure the cans are empty.

Travis
Originally Posted by ihookem
Hondas and Toyotas are really good cars. Most likely better than the American made small cars. The reason I never buy Honda or Toyotas is cause I buy older used ones. They are not worth the price but they get it cause of a good reputation. There are a lot of good smaller cars that are almost as good and some are as good but noone knows it cause USA made cars have a reputation they are not nearly as good but much cheaper on the used market. An example is my 91 Saturn, 4 cyl, manual, no air and roll down windows. I bought it for 900 bucks 3 yrs 3 months ago. I put on 55k. The odometer went out @ 147k, I needed a new alternator ( $110 myself) a $430 ignition module too. A 24 yr old car for $900 bucks and $550 in repairs is as good a the average Honda / Toyota. My son went with a 2000 Dodge Stratus. At 84k , and some paint peeling it didn't need anything. No problems yet but only has it 5k and 7 months. My wives 2dr 2003 Dodge Stratus has 147k. We had a clutch slave ( $177) and one other thing I dont remember but was $400 repair. So, $600 in repairs in with 147k ? Not bad. One thing I will tell ya about American cars. They ride better most of the time. We tested an 05 Civic 4cyl. At 65MPH the engine was @ 3100 RPM. It was loud and s stiff ride. Japanese Don't spend as much time with comfort, only dependability. This is something that does't get brought up when talking a comfortable ride. The seats on a lot of Japanese cars suck too.

I was under the impression that most of the Honda, Nissan, and Toyota vehicles sold in the U.S. were assembled in the U.S. with parts from all over the World.
Is someone chirping about american made cars on a chinese computer again?
I have been on this same subject now for a couple months in preparation for my son. Couple of my thoughts...

Manual tranmissions are probably a less risky bet at that price point.

The Saturn S series of cars are decent runners and the plastic bodies don't rust, though the other parts can. They are excellent on gas mileage. Low cost, easy to fix, easy to get parts.

Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4 models in the late 1990s to the early 2000's fall in that price point. A stick shift 4 cylinder AWD unit in good shape would be a nice find

Corolla, Civic, Accord, and Camry are all good bets if the prior owner took good care of them. Some years had troubles

In my area Fords and Chevys are the easiest to get dealer service on. Independent garages are around here too and are probably good enough for most repairs if you can't or don't want to fix it yourself.

I have contemplated Subaru cars but am a bit gun shy about things I have read about timing belts and head gaskets. I have talked to one guy I know who has had several and he has never had a problem with those issues.

Every make and model at one point or another has had major issues with various components and systems.

Be patient and have cash in hand

Buy a $2500 car and use the other $500 for repairs

Good luck in your search!
Just sold my daughters 01Jeep grand cherokee for 3k to a nice family with a new driver .. New tie rods,water pump, gas tank skid plate, battery, and much more. She drove the crap out of it and it never failed to start and go. Straight six is a tough engine. Looked great with no rust. 170K on the clock and burned no oil between changes. Upgraded to an 08 and she misses the old one. Nicer one yet for sale at $3500 locally. Easy to work on and cheap parts. Did I mention that the 4wd worked great? It was great first car for her.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I was under the impression that most of the Honda, Nissan, and Toyota vehicles sold in the U.S. were assembled in the U.S. with parts from all over the World.

They are, but they're designed and built to japanese quality standards.

The U.S. is capable of manufacturing higher quality goods than anywhere else in the world. Look where Boeing aircraft are manufactured. The reason American cars are crap is because of the cost cutting management philosophy of U.S. makers. It's the reason I have no sympathy for the big 3 and their financial problems, it's all self induced because they chose the business model of building inferior crap to pad their bottom lines and expect the consumer to suck it up. If they chose to they could build a better vehicle than the japanese, but since they choose not to I choose not to buy their products.
oops, double post
Hands down 90-93 Honda accord. I've had a few and all went over 300,000 miles. Great little commuter cars that are reliable and economical to drive. Get an LX or EX....
Originally Posted by ihookem
Not bad. One thing I will tell ya about American cars. They ride better most of the time. We tested an 05 Civic 4cyl. At 65MPH the engine was @ 3100 RPM. It was loud and s stiff ride. Japanese Don't spend as much time with comfort, only dependability. This is something that does't get brought up when talking a comfortable ride. The seats on a lot of Japanese cars suck too.

yep, I'm done with small cheap japanese cars - they are great for the budget minded 20 somethings or the starter family or even the daily commuter but I'm at the Buick stage of my life now.

But to the original question - if I have $3K to spend, I'd get a honda or toyota with 150K miles and make sure I knew the maintenance history

or if I was a wrencher, I'd get something I can get in and work on - easiest cars I've ever worked on was a Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0L and the Ford F150.

All I have to say is thank god they were easy to work on

because I did....often.
That is a very good question. My son drives a 2001 Honda Civic with 200,000 miles. It's getting very worn out. Normally, Honda will do alot more than 200K miles. I think he's driven it hard. My wife's 2001 CRV had 240k on it when she totaled it. We were diligent on maintenance and I had hoped to get it to 400k. IMHO, any car you spend $3k for will prolly need work done (brakes, struts, tires, hoses, water pump). I really, really like anything made by Honda. If you can find a used Honda CRV, 1st Generation, they can be quite good. I've seen 'em with 150K miles for $4500, but that is more than you're son's budget. In a perfect world you'd find an underpriced grandma car at an estate sale where the family is fire-saleing it. In 2010 I found a one owner 1991 Accord with 104,000 miles on it. I ran it to 230,000 with no problems and then sold it. Some of the Honda engines are better than others. The Gen II CRV engine is bullet proof (no timing belt to change). I like Hondas. Good luck finding a car for your boy.

Jordan
Don't overlook Mitsubishi Galants and Lancers. Stick to the 4 cylinders. Manual tranny would be a safer bet.
Originally Posted by noodlz

+1
At that price point, you will be getting a vehicle that is old enough that a specific brand or model is less important than THAT particular vehicle. Overall, I see no real advantage to a Japanese car vs American. The consensus is that Japanese vehicles are indestructible, and supremely reliable, and American is junk. That WAS true in the past - the 60's through the early 90's, but I don't think it still holds true. Corolla transmissions usually go tits up around 250,000, CRV's rust a lot...All kinds of stuff, AND they still hold their value, due to the "mystique". Better deals can be found on American vehicles, because of that "mystique".
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Those old cars are sleepers. Those and the Crown Vic are such old grandma, uncool cars, they don't bring much.

I was talking to a Police Lieutenant this afternoon. I asked how their Ford SUV's were holding up. He said they weren't going to last like their old Crown Vics. He was telling me how much abuse those Crown Vics could take and keep on running. Grand Marquis is a Crown Vic clone.

Not too cool, but a lot of ride for the buck.

DF

I agree today's kids don't think they are cool, but with that big dual overhead cam V8 these babies will still burn the rubber and provide a smooth ride and decent gas mileage. If you can find one that "grandpa or grandma" are selling they are a steal. I sold my 1996 Grand Marquis for $3000. It was still a smooth, comfortable and reliable ride. Beautiful big sedan. I'd take it over any ricer every day.
At that price point, you will be getting a vehicle that is old enough that a specific brand or model is less important than THAT particular vehicle. Overall, I see no real advantage to a Japanese car vs American. The consensus is that Japanese vehicles are indestructible, and supremely reliable, and American is junk. That WAS true in the past - the 60's through the early 90's, but I don't think it still holds true. Corolla transmissions usually go tits up around 250,000, CRV's rust a lot...All kinds of stuff, AND they still hold their value, due to the "mystique". Better deals can be found on American vehicles, because of that. Still depends on the individual vehicle/deal though.
I'd take it over any ricer every day.

The number of ricers out there kinda took me aback. As we've been looking, I've used it as a teachable moment to explain to the lad that "swapped" aint a good thing for what he's looking to buy, and that colorful air intake pipes are probably a bad thing in this instance.

FC
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/5076635860.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/5074710184.html
He'd like this. smile

https://www.southeasttexas.com/motorcycles/detail.cfm?id=1426990
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5042407626.html

There are a ton of these out there for cheap. Great motor, reliable, super cheap parts and easy to work on if he manages to break something.
Honda Civic
'91 to '96 Buick Roadmaster. If you stick to '93 and older, the engines are even easier to work on.

They will have had a pampered life from being owned by grandpa, are big, comfy, hold lots of luggage, and are generally loaded like a Cadillac. And get very good highway mileage for a big vehicle.
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Don't overlook Mitsubishi Galants and Lancers. Stick to the 4 cylinders. Manual tranny would be a safer bet.

got my kid a 2001 Galant beater with 170K miles for $800

Put in a new radiator, heater core, alternator, brakes all the way around and tires, and a pressure relief switch for the A/C - added some bondo on a couple of baseball size dents and bought some matching paint to finish it out. Put on a set of Goodyear Arriva tires for $50 a pop

Ended up with a pretty decent looking car and one that gets him from point A to B with a leather interior, sunroof, A/C.

Not sure I'd want to take a trip cross country in it but to commute to work and school, its a good first car. All told I have about $1500 in it.

If he gets 30K miles out of it, I'll be happy - and if he gets in a fender bender, we can walk away from it without taking a hit to the wallet.
Both my daughters drove the same Honda Civic thru HS and college. Youngest daughter just traded it for an '08 Ford Escape which has a good reputation. Other than routine oil change and maintenance, timing belt change the Civic was trouble free and reliable.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I've got a 21 year old Civic with 230K miles that I've driven daily for four years. I have $1400 in the initial cost and subsequent repairs.

+1

I have a 1998 Honda Civic with 192K miles and it still runs great. Drove the old Civic into work this morning. smile I turned down $2000 cash for it.
Originally Posted by MadMooner

There are a ton of these out there for cheap. Great motor, reliable, super cheap parts and easy to work on if he manages to break something.

Back when I had a larger company I ran Ford trucks. Had about 8 at any given time, mostly 3/4 tons though, new and used. I won't go into the detail on trying to keep those trucks working, but I will tell you that small fleet of trucks required a good support system (mechanics, shuttle drivers) to keep them working. I finally sold the business and moved on.

Tried a couple more in my new life, much under the same circumstances as your boy. Tight budget, 1/2 tons for good economy, yada yada, yada. Same maintenance story, but now I had no support system to keep them running, so down the road they went.

I would not recommend Ford trucks as a low maintenance vehicle for a kid. Nor are they economical, even the 6 cylinder/5 speeds. I just couldn't keep quiet on this one. Don't get the boy a 90's Ford truck.

Bullshit!

We've had about 6 in our family and all of them were over 160K miles before they were sold or traded.
When I was 15 I bought my first car for $65, a '49 Ford 4-dr sedan that had been lightly sideswiped down the passenger side. It was F'ugly! But ran perfectly.

I'd suggest looking for a bargain anything cheap to run that is mechanically very good but needs paint or bodywork. Don't be so concerned about finding the very best example of the very best model of the very best maker.
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

A '92 Civic was the first car I ever bought new. Loved the hell out of it, but sold it when I got a company truck.

FC

FC - The Honda Civic is a great car, love mine. However, I was looking thru used Civic prices on autotrader. A clean 1988 will bring $3000+ shocked
Look for older models of the pontiac vibe. They started in 2003. They are the same drivetrain as a toyota matrix/corolla. They get good mileage and reliable.

We have an 05 with over 200k for a commuter. Had it since a year old and 20k on it. Replace tires, battery, struts once and brakes, typical maintenance stuff, and it just keeps going.

The pontiac sells for less than the matrix cause its a pontiac even though its basically the same car.
fugg the car
tell him to get a truck
men drive trucks................
ford ranger with a 2.3 or a 2.5 with dual ignition system
take care of the fugger
it will run forever....................
Originally Posted by Hotload

FC

FC - The Honda Civic is a great car, love mine. However, I was looking thru used Civic prices on autotrader. A clean 1988 will bring $3000+ shocked

Commodity pricing.. You could put another 100,000 miles on it and turn it for the same price.

Someone asked about the Hyundai's: yes, very reliable, but a bit of a rattle trap. They do sell cheaper, used, than the Honda's and Toyotas because they are a "new" name.

My daughter's college car is a 2005 Accord. My son's is a 2002 Sonoma I just put a rebuilt engine in. He needs a truck on the farm, otherwise he'd still be driving his Elantra.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

They are, but they're designed and built to japanese quality standards.

The U.S. is capable of manufacturing higher quality goods than anywhere else in the world. Look where Boeing aircraft are manufactured. The reason American cars are crap is because of the cost cutting management philosophy of U.S. makers. It's the reason I have no sympathy for the big 3 and their financial problems, it's all self induced because they chose the business model of building inferior crap to pad their bottom lines and expect the consumer to suck it up. If they chose to they could build a better vehicle than the japanese, but since they choose not to I choose not to buy their products.

I am, for the most part, happy with my Jeep, Lincoln, and Mercury. We've had very little trouble with the two Fords, six Jeeps, two Lincolns, and two Mercuries that we've owned during the past twenty years. We also had one Honda, a 1990 Accord LX, one Nissan, a 1998 Pathfinder SE, and one Volvo, a 2005 XC-90. The Accord was great, never required anything other than routine maintenance. The Nissan has 200K miles and we have put more $$ into it than I would have liked, but we bought it with 160K miles on the clock and knew that it needed some work, not just as much as has been required. The Volvo flat out SUCKED! It was the most expensive vehicle that I've ever bought, maintained, or repaired. Based on my sample of one, I doubt that I will ever buy another Volvo.
Honda or Toyota gets my vote.
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Back when I had a larger company I ran Ford trucks. Had about 8 at any given time, mostly 3/4 tons though, new and used. I won't go into the detail on trying to keep those trucks working, but I will tell you that small fleet of trucks required a good support system (mechanics, shuttle drivers) to keep them working. I finally sold the business and moved on.

Tried a couple more in my new life, much under the same circumstances as your boy. Tight budget, 1/2 tons for good economy, yada yada, yada. Same maintenance story, but now I had no support system to keep them running, so down the road they went.

I would not recommend Ford trucks as a low maintenance vehicle for a kid. Nor are they economical, even the 6 cylinder/5 speeds. I just couldn't keep quiet on this one. Don't get the boy a 90's Ford truck.

Huh. I had one for 6-7 years. Beat the hell out if it. I think I even changed the oil once or twice. Only thing I had to fix was a clutch. The thing just wouldn't die.

16-18 on the highway. Not bad for a kid.

I'd buy one again in a heart beat if I needed a cheap beater to get around.

Huh. I had one for 6-7 years. Beat the hell out if it. I think I even changed the oil once or twice. Only thing I had to fix was a clutch. The thing just wouldn't die.

16-18 on the highway. Not bad for a kid.

I'd buy one again in a heart beat if I needed a cheap beater to get around.

Your experience is not unique. When my Grandfather passed, my 1st cousin inherited his F-150. Straight 6 with a 5 speed manual. It made it's way around the family for over a decade and as you stated, it just wouldn't die. Along the way it was repainted and had the clutch replaced. It was finally sold with over 320K miles IIRC. I wish I had bought it when I had the chance, but already had two trucks a the time and couldn't justify a third.
Like I said, any Buick with the 3800 engine, especially the LeSabre.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Have had 2 civics now for 10 years. while not flawless, repairs are relatively easy regarding parts and inexpensive, competent technicians. I have had 3 separate friends who make a hobby out of finding sub-100k mi. civics and renovated them including motor work and paint, resulting in a $2-3K car that easily makes another 100k miles. Longest one i've seen was a sure enough beater, but it ran, had a/c, as well as 320k on the clock.

I'm voting Civic or Accord. Both are excellent performers. my '01 civic has 147K on the clock and runs with cold a/c, and the '04 unit is at 149k and i need the a/c recharged, but everything else is in perfect operating condition.

The last time I cycled out a pickup was about 3 years ago, sold the '99 Chevy c/k 1500 i'd had since new, less than 180k on the clock and I would have been looking at $4-6k to get it back in shape. Needed tranny and other driveline goodies.

A Honda ain't a luxury car, but the civics and accords are bigger inside than out. Comfortable and efficient. Made in Ohio, most of 'em.

Just my $.02.

-tom
I'm matching what he's scraped together, so he'll be at $3K, tops.

When I was looking with his brother 2 years ago, the candidates were Corolla, Civic, Camry, Accord, Taurus/Sable, LeSabre, and a few Hyundai models.

Any other sleepers out there?

Thanks,

FC

Corollas are often overlooked because of the popularity of the Civics, but Corollas most likely will buy you fewer miles for the same price.
Originally Posted by Fireball2

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
had a 75 300/6 3 on the tree for 4 yrs
ran like a champ
fugger went up pikes peak and down the back side trail to cripple creek
anyone who knows that route knows it aint no joke
had over 185,000 on it then I sold it for a profit after it sat on blocks for 2yrs while I was in Germany put a new battery in it and then tires back on it and some fresh gas in it and sold the fugger for 1500 I paid 1200 for it originally
had a 89 ranger with a 2.3 4 cyl dual fire ignition 5 spd (that I traded in for a 2001 with a 2.5 4cyl with dual fire ignition)
traded it in with 286,000 on it and the worm gear on the speedo cable was broke for 3 yrs before I decided to fix so im guessing that truck had well over 325,000 on it actually
the 2001 had 240,000ish on it when I traded that one in for a 2002 mazda b4000 last july(glorified ranger) with a 4.0 6cyl and 5 spd(pain in the ass manuel tran driving around town, what a fugging hassle now at my age)so I traded that one in for my current ride a 2004 4.0l 6cyl 4x4 xlt ranger (new used to me)
thing runs like a champ.

ford trucks suck I geuss?????
I geuss if you don't have basic or slightly advanced man skills and common sense anything mechanical is like a stump the dummy puzzle to fix or even do basic work on
and chiltons and Haynes manuels sure are confusing also crazy

mechanics/glorified parts replacers nowadays love people who cant even air up their own tires let alone check their own oil

sounds like your maintenance people left a lot to be desired
or was faking the funk and pencil whipping shyt

just saying...................................
We pulled the trigger on a '04 Taurus today. Clean & well cared-for, with about 150K fewer miles on the clock than any of the Hondas & Toyotas we looked at in his price range. (I was shocked at how many people were trying to sell cars with 250K miles for $4,000 or more.)

The CarFax was clean, & the mechanic gave it his blessing, so we busted the piggy bank open.

FC
Nice car, and I agree - the premiums people are asking for Japanese cars are not in line with their condition. Good Luck!!!
Wife and I currently own Hyundai's (I a Santa Fe, and she a Tucson). We love them. However, I'd be cautious as to buying a Hyundai older than 2003 or so. Many buddies had nothing but problems with them, and with $3k, I'm not sure what you'd be able to get newer.

My uncle had a Honda Accord (1992, I believe) that he bought after his discharge from the Marines, in 1995, I believe. He drove that thing EVERYWHERE, and even made the trip from Jamestown NY to Tucson AZ and back 4-5 times in that old car.

The only reason he got rid of it was because he got a darn good job, and his fiance at the time, has a darn good job in Tucson as well. He had always liked trucks, and got one...now he misses the Accord last I checked.

He offloaded it for a decent price at just over 275k miles on it.

Knew I should read a thread all the way through before posting! Congrats on the car!
Originally Posted by benchman
At that price point, you will be getting a vehicle that is old enough that a specific brand or model is less important than THAT particular vehicle. Overall, I see no real advantage to a Japanese car vs American. The consensus is that Japanese vehicles are indestructible, and supremely reliable, and American is junk. That WAS true in the past - the 60's through the early 90's, but I don't think it still holds true. Corolla transmissions usually go tits up around 250,000, CRV's rust a lot...All kinds of stuff, AND they still hold their value, due to the "mystique". Better deals can be found on American vehicles, because of that. Still depends on the individual vehicle/deal though.

Nailed it! At the $2-3k price point the condition of the individual car is the most important thing. You can either get a high mileage cream puff, or a car that has a lot of deferred matinenance and you're looking at the engine or some part of the drive train that will go out within 5k miles. Doesn't matter what brand or model, how it was driven and how it was maintained is key, not whose badge is on the bumper.

The other thing to consider is the price and availability of spare parts and what shops can work on them. Wouldn't hurt to look up part prices on any car you're considering on Rock Auto. Figure alternator, break pads, shocks etc and see how prices compare.
Originally Posted by benchman
Nice car, and I agree - the premiums people are asking for Japanese cars are not in line with their condition. Good Luck!!!

I have noticed this for yrs. I am even looking for a 2 dr Accord for the wife. They are not worth the price. Problem is worse cause the wife only drives a 2 doors. Not much to choose from these days in 2 drs. I'm sure they are better cars than most American made cars but a 2dr Stratus goes for $ 5k and an Accord, same yr , same miles goes for $8k. I doubt it is worth it.
Originally Posted by noodlz

This.

I had the luxury of buying my father's last car, 1996 Chrysler Concorde......which my brother had received from my mother when she quit driving. It was 10 years old when my daughter got it, and it lasted her through 7 years of college (and three degrees).

Best of all........my brother, Idared, delivered it from Washington to Wisconsin!

Everything on that "loaded" car still worked when she traded it.
My vote would be for a 1998 - 2001 Infiniti I30. Bought one for my son when he started driving and what an awesome car it is. Very dependable, good power, good brakes, and good gas mileage plus it's easy to work on. Buying one with high milege would not bother me if it was well maintained. No timing belt to replace either.
Hey, it's no sin to bump a 4 year old thread if it's my own, right? I was combing through my posts looking for something else, & came across this. I figured 'twas at least worth an update.

He bought an '04 Taursus with the 12v Vulcan engine. He got about 15K out of it, before the broken y-pipe connector, various electrical gremlins, & a rusted-through cabin floor found him replacing it with the same year Corolla. He had to travel I-75 regular for his student teaching gig, & getting there in 1 piece seemed important.

The AC took a dump early on, & he was too broke to bother fixing it. Shocks & struts were toast, & it wallowed badly when cornering. The interior dome light fuse blew, which somehow stopped all windows from working. mad (It only took us a year of off-&-on looking to figure that one out.) Interior trim pieces regularly fell off like skin from a leper.

2 years prior, his brother bought an '05 Taurus with the same motor. He's since put roughly 65K miles on it, & gotten himself through an undergrad degree & 1 year of grad school. From 110K to 175 K, he's had a complete AC rebuild (encompassing 2 compressors), a starter, 2 IAC valves, and a coil pack. Naturally, he's chased vacuum leaks from day 1, and has also endured the interior trip leprosy. On the plus side, he's learning to use YouTube & TaurusClub.com to figure out gremlins.

At the time, for the $3K they had to spend, it was either a domestic car with 100K not the clock, or a Corolla/Civic with 200K on the clock. Having had 4 Corollas in the family over the years, that likely would have been a better route for both of them.

FC
Toyota Camry with the 4 banger, best car ever built period.
[Linked Image]
Bought my Ford Focus new in '09. Noisy and not the smoothest ride, but in 150,000 miles it hasn't given me a bit of trouble. Consumers Reports gave it high marks for reliability, in a 'used car' article a few years ago.
Originally Posted by KFWA
[Linked Image]

laugh laugh laugh laugh Good one!
Originally Posted by idnative1948
Honda or Toyota gets my vote.

Bought my kid a 1999 Toyota Camry with 200,000 miles on it a year ago for $1,200. Bought it from a co worker who had it for his daughter in college. Has a few squeaks and noises but it is very clean and the engine runs like a top. He is driving it until September when he leaves for the Air Force and we will sell it for what we paid with no problem. My experience with Hondas mirrors this.
Any old Toyota Tacoma you can find for $3000, you can't kill 'em!
4runner 99 or later with about 200k miles.
you buy a honda you're supporting those liberals in hollywood!

wait, I think I have my threads confused
Originally Posted by lightning
Any old Toyota Tacoma you can find for $3000, you can't kill 'em!

You’re as likely going to find a Mercedes SLC for $3000.00 as you will a Tacoma that runs...
Originally Posted by Hammer2506
Toyota Camry with the 4 banger, best car ever built period.

You can find the stick shift models for pretty cheap, as few folks seem to want them these days. Tough for kids to text and drive when they gotta shift....
Originally Posted by TBREW401
A used Toyota , or Honda

+1
I have this one out back. I will let you have it for 2995.00 firm!!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by tzone

Bullshit!

We've had about 6 in our family and all of them were over 160K miles before they were sold or traded.
Yep, we've had 3 of them in the family. All went over 200,000 with no major problems. Good, solid, dependable cars.
Something with a GM 3800 V6. Pontiac Olds. Buick. 1999-2004
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Bought my Ford Focus new in '09. Noisy and not the smoothest ride, but in 150,000 miles it hasn't given me a bit of trouble. Consumers Reports gave it high marks for reliability, in a 'used car' article a few years ago.
Yep, Focus's are good little cars. Ours had 173,000 on it when we sold it 4 years ago. I still see the kid who bought it driving it around town.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by tzone

Bullshit!

Yep, we've had 3 of them in the family. All went over 200,000 with no major problems. Good, solid, dependable cars.

The Vulcan blocks were strong - no oil usage. No water pump impeller issues on the 2 we've owned. But the plastic horseschidt all over the engine cracks & causes maddening air leaks - that stuff couldn't have cost more than $10 to upgrade to materials that would last for the long haul. Pulley bearings ought not to have to be replaced every 30K miles, either.

We were fortunate that the transmissions in both vehicles were rebuilt under warranty before we bought them.

The weak A/C systems & electrical BS shouldn't have still been going on in the 11th & 13th years of production. Falling trim moldings & headliners just scream, "cheapness". Having to remove the windshield cowling to replace the cabin air filter is outright stupidity.

I've not yet seen one survive road salt unless it was babied.

A Taurus can definitely be kept on the road for a long time, but it all too often takes way too much work to do so.

FC
Nothing survives road salt in upstate NY for long. Rare to see anything over 10 years old that isn't rusty unless it's been garaged in the winter or lived a good portion of it's life in another State. We had very few problems with our Taurus's beyond normal maintenance items.
Originally Posted by NEBHUNTER
Something with a GM 3800 V6. Pontiac Olds. Buick. 1999-2004

Great suggestion. Ours is a '98 Lesabre w/ ~220k on it that my teens have turned in to the "bumper car" (school parking lots). Also, you could find a well cared for, used corolla in that range. They'll go 300k if they've been treated right. They're not as good for the bumper car wars, however.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Nothing survives road salt in upstate NY for long. Rare to see anything over 10 years old that isn't rusty unless it's been garaged in the winter or lived a good portion of it's life in another State. We had very few problems with our Taurus's beyond normal maintenance items.

The '04 came from Upstate NY, & it looked PRISTINE to the day we sold it. I've never seen a car's exterior not show rust when the underpinnings were that far gone. The entire underbody was falling apart, and there was that hole in the cabin floor.

I'm guessing the previous owner ran it through many a car wash.

FC
Friend just sold a 2010-11-12 Yaris, 130K miles for right at $3,000. Most all of the options. Was tempted to buy it just have it for a spare...
© 24hourcampfire