Home
came across this today

[Linked Image]

September, 1952... This is the famous "Paul Bunyan Load" that was hauled off highway into Union Lumber Company's plant in Ft. Bragg, Ca. The truck was Roy Stoddard #24, a 1949 Peterbilt 390 Off Hwy. truck with 12 foot bunks that had adjustable "Rossi Chocks." The 40 foot logs were 7, 8, and 9 feet in diameter respectively, and the load scaled out at 53,670 feet Spalding! Total gross weight was 421,000 lbs! The driver was Wes Copeland. He had been a bomber pilot in World War Two.
thats over 200 tons. sounds kind of hard to believe but i'm no trucker.
I'm thinkin' those springs are bottomed out. grin

Ed
That's about 40 tons more than a CG 110 foot patrol boat.

[Linked Image]

Not sure about the mobility of that load....Heres a neat one from Ewen-Trout Creek from back in the day:

[Linked Image]
Three 8 foot diameter logs that are 40 feet long would weigh about 170,000 lbs. That would be at 28 lbs/cf.

Im thinking 420,000 lbs is a bit of an exaggeration...
Gross of truck and load

Another story I googled said 375k for logs
200ish tons, yup.

American Redwood is in your weight range, Pittu:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wood-density-d_40.html

Back in the days when men were men and the saying of the day was, "Why aren't you done yet?"
BIG STICK LIVES!!!
lol

Originally Posted by BigDave39355
[Linked Image]

September, 1952... This is the famous "Paul Bunyan Load" that was hauled off highway into Union Lumber Company's plant in Ft. Bragg, Ca. The truck was Roy Stoddard #24, a 1949 Peterbilt 390 Off Hwy. truck with 12 foot bunks that had adjustable "Rossi Chocks." The 40 foot logs were 7, 8, and 9 feet in diameter respectively, and the load scaled out at 53,670 feet Spalding! Total gross weight was 421,000 lbs! The driver was Wes Copeland. He had been a bomber pilot in World War Two.
[Linked Image]

The Paul Bunyan Load, Stoddard truck number 24 later became Union Lumber Company offhighway truck number 15, was delivered to the Union Lumber Company mill in Fort Bragg California on September 10, 1952. The logs were approximately seven, eight, and nine feet in diameter. The official scale was 53,670 board feet.
That is a lot of damn wood, hell of a saw needed to cut them up!
Originally Posted by hanco
That is a lot of damn wood, hell of a saw needed to cut them up!

And to cut them down!
Aw heck, my uncle Frank's team coulda pulled that! wink

Originally Posted by Pittu
[Linked Image]

those are great
© 24hourcampfire