Home
If he provided you with a free hunt?
This subject came up in a conversation last night and it was suggested that the board be asked.
I don't hunt with anyone I dislike.
It's like a free lunch - there's no such thing!
If a person reaches the ignore stage for me, I just treat them as if they were no longer still on the planet.
If they just agitate me, and make me say rude things though, no, I would not hunt with them.
Life is too short to date ugly women, drink cheap whiskey, be a liberal, or hunt with fellows you think are a POS.
I would hunt with someone I disliked before I hunted with someone who disliked me. eek
Would not hunt with either of them.

Hunting is way too important to me.

My bet is that also represents the great majority of us at the Fire.

Steve
None that I feel so bad about that I would want them to have a hunting accident while hunting with me. whistle GW smile
Life is too short to spend it with people you don't like.
Sounds too much like a free piece of azz from a whore with the clap.
Speaking of which,

I'd hunt with Deflave if he could guarantee a 400 lb bear or 350" elk.
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Sounds too much like a free piece of azz from a whore with the clap.

What if you already have the clap? I only ask because I bet a lot of the a-holes here would get along just fine with the other a-holes. They would probably be too drunk to understand each other. :-)

If you already had the clap why not take a free piece of hiney from some hooker with whatever you already have.
Originally Posted by goalie

Nailed it
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Speaking of which,

I thought Ace had that covered?
Originally Posted by SLM
Speaking of which,

I thought Ace had that covered?

HA!
I sense someone has been PMing with Safariman
Originally Posted by gitem_12
The thought that brought this up was something said to me years ago by a member who is no longer active.
I mentioned it to a group of members, thus the current question.
No thanks. I'll roll my own.
I value friendship and integrity way more than I value money,

free hunt or paid, makes no difference.

Odd topic to be honest.
I've no doubt most guys here would be ok to hunt with, but I've only offered to take a few hunting. They have been fantastic for the most part.
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Nailed it.
I would hunt with Rancho loco, so long as he didn't bring Shrapnel......

I couldn't handle that much wood/blue and slow twists all at one time. grin
Would depend if they had an uber winch or not. And how much cable. May need to haul an ass-shot elk out over the Rockies.

John
Ingwe.
You would love it, and you know it! grin
Ok, well then Travis if we hunt elks. He loads hisn, i loads myun.
That madmooner fella is an azzhole, but I hear he's really good looking. So maybe him.

None of you other pricks though.
Yer loss. wink
I can barely hunt with myself.
I need a list of the unpopular/disliked members, please.
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
I need a list of the unpopular/disliked members, please.

Sounds like manlicker is in charge of that.
Lotta posters come across as pricks (meaning I disagree laugh ) when musing on politics or religion.

Yet, as long as they are safe with their gun-handling, carry their weight at camp, and have basic game/environment ethics (not throwing the empties out car window), suspect most here would blend just fine...

I would hunt with a lot of you azzholes
Me! grin
Gas, Grass, or Ass, nobody rides for free.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Gas, Grass, or Ass, nobody rides for free.

Yet, the Safariman still rides at dawn!
There's only a few here I would not bother to hunt with. Sam ain't on the list. He's prolly much nearer the top of the list of folk I'd like to share a camp with.

In actuality, most on the "don't hunt with" list likely don't hunt anyway.
Another, no Sad Sacks/Debbie Downers.

Attitude is critical in any camp and a negative one can be contagious.

Sorry Manlicker...
My hunts are solo unless my wife, kids or brother want to go. I hunt with lots of folks helping with their tags. Some folks here I'd help no question... others nope.

Kent
Originally Posted by Tracks
This subject came up in a conversation last night and it was suggested that the board be asked.

Tracks.
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^
I'd hunt with 'flave but probably not camp overnight. Heard he has recurring violent nightmares about women with large adam's apples and huge feet.

John
Originally Posted by goalie

What he said!

donsm70
Originally Posted by Fubarski

Tracks.

grin Don't blame you a bit.
ยก
Originally Posted by MadMooner
That madmooner fella is an azzhole, but I hear he's really good looking. So maybe him.

You got it backwards. grin
In my advancing age I often think back to great camps and hunts. Often the people I shared these memorable times with are what made those times into cherished memories. I would not hunt with someone who I do not like. Life is to short and there are way to many great folks around to spend the time I have left.
Personal context makes it difficult even to consider the question - have hunted solo for most of my years and, even back when my one hunting buddy was alive and we were enjoying great hunts, I still hunted alone quite a bit. Although now the family is putting the heavy foot down regarding any future solo ventures, that will remain the much preferred means. Some of the reasons are well-stated by other above.
I don't know the man. Never hunted with him...
Every year I hunt some of the most scenic elk country in the US with a couple of really great guys. I've also hunted the same territory for deer with one of our campfire members, Snubbie, who's proved to be a good friend.
Why in the world would I want to hunt with someone I don't like when I have this kind of hunting just out the door?
who is unpopular or disliked? alot of people seem to have a problem with Steelhead but ive met the man and dont have a problem with him and wouldnt hesitate to hunt with him.....there is another member on here who from what i can tell is well liked but after meeting him and talking with him, while i would not hesitate to open up my home to them if they were passing through, their view of game laws means i wouldnt share a hunting camp with them as as soon as a trophy appears rules seem to go out the window and im not interested in losing my rights to hunt should they misinform me of some detail or such....
Originally Posted by MadMooner

lol
I would go shooting at safariman, I mean at his target, oops
After 44 years of big game hunting, the field has been narrowed, and all the azzhats, smartalecks, and losers have been cut. I'm in the fortunate position to never lack for great hunting pards.....if truth be known it's probably because I've got some fantastic places to hunt. smile Makes camp much more enjoyable though.

I especially dislike people like some posters here...[bleep] behind a keyboard, but reportedly a great guy in person....I hate that crap.
Hell, I'm still holding out for lunch with TRH and sherp.
I can't really think of anyone on this forum i dislike , i may not agree with them, but i don't dislike them. People in person and when they are on the key board are two different Animals. The internet gives some people courage they lack in real life.
Before I knew about Safariman, I got suckered into a sage rat hunt in Oregon with him. Mistake, BIG mistake. I never will respect a person that will blow a hole in a stock tank and not even slightly act like it was a bad thing no less try to fix it. Did I mention LIE after LIE?
Details...
If it's more than one....I ain't going!!
I can't even comprehend this thread, much less spending prime time with a dickhead.
"Which unpopular and disliked member would you tolerate?"

I guess I'm taking the question differently than everyone else. Everyone seems to be interpreting that to be, which Campfire members you personally don't like, would you hunt with? I read the question as, which campfire members who aren't well-liked & popular by the other Campfire members would you hunt with?

I would never waste my precious time and resources to hunt with someone I loathe, but there are members here, that for the life of me I can't figure out why the vitriol, who I'd hunt with. Others, it's patently obvious why they're hated.
Originally Posted by JGRaider

...[bleep] behind a keyboard, but reportedly a great guy in person....I hate that crap.

Could not agree more.
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

Kind of what I was thinking.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I can't even comprehend this thread, much less spending prime time with a dickhead.

Does this mean I am not invited? grin
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Does this mean I am not invited? grin

I don't mind dickheads, you can hang with me......... laugh
Thanks Paul.

It is real easy to say no when there is no skin in the game. How about if that hunt was the "Big Five" all expenses paid, no limit. Don't tell me you wouldn't go with a few of the bottom feeders...
The reason for this thread is something said to me by an old time member who knew all the important players early on in the boards lifetime.
When I asked him why a particular member was allowed to get by with all the crap he was posting, his answer was
"It's amazing what some people will put up with to get a free hunt"
That answer has stuck in my mind for a long time and it seemed like a fair question to ask now.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

It is real easy to say no when there is no skin in the game. How about if that hunt was the "Big Five" all expenses paid, no limit. Don't tell me you wouldn't go with a few of the bottom feeders...

Still no doubt in my mind as I have already refused something like this.

Integrity is the about the only thing I won't put a price on, so that is an easy answer.

Originally Posted by Steelhead

Integrity is the about the only thing I won't put a price on, so that is an easy answer.

How about a trip to Africa with me and Travis?

How about a trip to Africa with me and Travis?

Not paid for, no.

Thoughts like that don't reflect on anyone as well as the author.
The reason for this thread is something said to me by an old time member who knew all the important players early on in the boards lifetime.
When I asked him why a particular member was allowed to get by with all the crap he was posting, his answer was
"It's amazing what some people will put up with to get a free hunt"
That answer has stuck in my mind for a long time and it seemed like a fair question to ask now.

Maybe I worded the question badly
How about "Which well known member who posts like a complete a$$hole know it all would you tolerate"?
And no, it's not Steelhead. grin
What's the big five?

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
What's the big five?

Kent

[Linked Image]
Ok, not interested.

Kent
I've been accused of low standards, at least I have some, so no thanks I'll pass on a hunt with a known low down ner do well skunk.
I wouldn't want to be around any of those [bleep] with a firearm. Heck, I wouldn't want to be around any of them for any reason. Talk about a guaranteed way to ruin a hunt before it started.
Heck, I'd trade pulls from a jug with any of ya!!

Life's too short not to....
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Before I knew about Safariman, I got suckered into a sage rat hunt in Oregon with him. Mistake, BIG mistake. I never will respect a person that will blow a hole in a stock tank and not even slightly act like it was a bad thing no less try to fix it. Did I mention LIE after LIE?

But, "do you know the real truth"? "It will set you free"...

Sounds like yet another "real safariman experience".

no
Originally Posted by byc
Heck, I'd trade pulls from a jug with any of ya!!

Life's too short not to....

I've said many times on here I'd hunt and fish with any of 'em.
It's all in good fun.

Course, there's 2 or 3 I'd make damn sure they had a miserable time.

This would be a worst case scenario for me! It hurts just to imagine two long airplane rides and a couple of weeks in camp with someone you don't like. At least if you were in North America, you could quit and go home anytime you'd like and with a lot less aggravation.
hunting is sacred to me,

there's a bunch of guys on here that I'd love to hunt with

probably many more that I enjoy but don't feel I know well enough to determine such

some I'd probably not bother with

and some that would be fun to hunt them! (not to shoot anyone, mind you, just to see if they'd talk the same chit in person that they do here)
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
hunting is sacred to me ......

Randy;
Good evening to you sir, I trust this finds you and your fine family doing acceptably well.

I've got to say that the closest I've ever felt that I was in the presence of what I took to be God was on a mountain just west of here chasing mulies. The very air was electric somehow - oh and though I can't recall if I killed a buck that day, I surely took a few off of it over the years and it's that moment that remains crystal clear in my increasingly foggy memory.

You and I have - I believe anyway - had some of this conversation previously, but one of the precious things about surviving a few tough experiences in life is the perspective it allows us to gain.

Honestly speaking then Randy, although I'd enjoy having a visit and a beverage of choice with almost anyone here at our cyber 'Fire, the list of those I'd choose to spend time with afield is decidedly brief.

What I personally derive from hunting - and seemingly like a salmon swimming upstream am driven to do - isn't something that I perhaps should or even can share with most people outside my immediate family.

Hopefully that makes sense and doesn't come across as being elitist, nonetheless it's where I've arrived at somehow.

As always it's nice to share ether space with you sir. All the best to you and yours this summer.

Dwayne

That would make anyone a top-water feeder in my book. whistle whistle

...almost...
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
If a person reaches the ignore stage for me, I just treat them as if they were no longer still on the planet.
If they just agitate me, and make me say rude things though, no, I would not hunt with them.
Life is too short to date ugly women, drink cheap whiskey, be a liberal, or hunt with fellows you think are a POS.

What Sam said... (above) !

Sharing a hunting camp with good men is a "joy". Sharing one with a jerk is torture. It's all about "camaraderie", my friends. smile

You only go around ONCE in this life... make sure the "trip" is a good one. grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
Originally Posted by BC30cal

Randy;
Good evening to you sir, I trust this finds you and your fine family doing acceptably well.

I've got to say that the closest I've ever felt that I was in the presence of what I took to be God was on a mountain just west of here chasing mulies. The very air was electric somehow - oh and though I can't recall if I killed a buck that day, I surely took a few off of it over the years and it's that moment that remains crystal clear in my increasingly foggy memory.

You and I have - I believe anyway - had some of this conversation previously, but one of the precious things about surviving a few tough experiences in life is the perspective it allows us to gain.

Honestly speaking then Randy, although I'd enjoy having a visit and a beverage of choice with almost anyone here at our cyber 'Fire, the list of those I'd choose to spend time with afield is decidedly brief.

What I personally derive from hunting - and seemingly like a salmon swimming upstream am driven to do - isn't something that I perhaps should or even can share with most people outside my immediate family.

Hopefully that makes sense and doesn't come across as being elitist, nonetheless it's where I've arrived at somehow.

As always it's nice to share ether space with you sir. All the best to you and yours this summer.

Dwayne

It's easier to find a good wife than it is a good hunting partner.
Originally Posted by Ron_T

Sharing a hunting camp with good men is a "joy". Sharing one with a jerk is torture. It's all about "camaraderie", my friends. smile

You only go around ONCE in this life... make sure the "trip" is a good one. grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
several yrs ago i went fishing with a couple of buddy's in one of their boats, off shore. Davey invited a friend of his at the last minute who happened to be drunk. nothing worse than being in a boat 20 miles offshore with a drunk azzhole, Davey had to head in before mikeor i killed that guy.
After a long drawn out debate with JeffO on La Raza or something, where I presented facts and he presented feelings.

He ended with saying, and yet we may end up in a hunting camp together some day.

My answer was... nope...

Kent

Randy;

Dwayne

With the rate of divorce these days, the numbers might not be so far apart...

As an aside, i am glad to see that most won't lower their standards, even if it was a once in a lifetime hunt they could not afford any other way. My feelings are exactly the same.

We work all year long and hunting is one of those relaxing times, to have to spend it with an a hole, without being needled or sent to jail for the rest of my life, would be very tough and not nearly worth it.
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
several yrs ago i went fishing with a couple of buddy's in one of their boats, off shore. Davey invited a friend of his at the last minute who happened to be drunk. nothing worse than being in a boat 20 miles offshore with a drunk azzhole, Davey had to head in before mikeor i killed that guy.
seriously thought about leaving him on a rig and calling the coast guard to go get him.
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

I have been out fishing offshore with drunk azzholes before and also night fishing out in the middle of nowhere. Both suck, I'm telling you.
The reason I never got into guiding for money was getting stuck with some ass and having to put up with them.

Guiding for free I can just load my camp and leave, which I've done.

It's always interesting what those in the business think us others would put up with for a free 'hunt'.

Kent
I went on a hunting/camping trip with a guy that was the administrator of a faculty I had a consulting contract with. He is an okay guy.... until he starts drinking. IMO some people should not drink... at all... ever.

I lied and said I was getting "the runny [bleep]"... and had to hike out that night.
Well you've got daughters and I've got sons........ blush

that'd make us family I reckon!

and on the plus side, if one of mine ever mistreated whomever he takes as a wife, all her daddy would have left to stomp on is the scraps of him I'd leave.

It's an interesting question. "Unpopular and disliked" in what context? I try my darndest to get along with everybody--even if it means the best thing is to minimize my interactions with them.

That said, if I found myself in camp with a difficult personality (and I have), I can manage just fine. I don't get wrapped up in having to correct the other guy or argue with him. It's easy just to sit quiet and enjoy the good things that are happening. Instead of taking 10 minutes to get firewood, take an hour. Or two. Go do dishes--that's often an easy way to get some alone time in camp! Put in your earphones and listen to music. Or, just change the subject. I like to ask guys what they're afraid of. The stories are true, and they are funny. (I don't do bees. Or big snakes. Icky. eek )

Often the other guy has real issues that cause him to behave the way he does. Listen to him. Find out what's eating him. Give a little bit of yourself and reach out to him. Even when you don't change him, he'll notice you treated him well. And just wait, the next time will be better--maybe not lots, but some. At some point you'll have earned the right to be heard by him and you can speak some truth into his life. He'll actually listen when you tell him that he doesn't have to be right all the time or an exaggerating windbag 24/7, or whatever.

As for going on a hunt with somebody here, free or not, I think I'd be honored that they asked me, and would give it a go. If they prove to be unsafe (like they get drunk and point their gun at me) or steal my stuff, then I'd have speak up. But, their general popularity here on this website wouldn't likely influence my decision.

And FWIW, I agree with others: I don't know why people are good guys in person but not nice behind the keyboard. It doesn't add up for me. But again, there's a reason for it. It might be worth finding out what that reason is...

Nope again, most especially now
Originally Posted by Waders

It's an interesting question. "Unpopular and disliked" in what context? I try my darndest to get along with everybody--even if it means the best thing is to minimize my interactions with them.

That said, if I found myself in camp with a difficult personality (and I have), I can manage just fine. I don't get wrapped up in having to correct the other guy or argue with him. It's easy just to sit quiet and enjoy the good things that are happening. Instead of taking 10 minutes to get firewood, take an hour. Or two. Go do dishes--that's often an easy way to get some alone time in camp! Put in your earphones and listen to music. Or, just change the subject. I like to ask guys what they're afraid of. The stories are true, and they are funny. (I don't do bees. Or big snakes. Icky. eek )

Often the other guy has real issues that cause him to behave the way he does. Listen to him. Find out what's eating him. Give a little bit of yourself and reach out to him. Even when you don't change him, he'll notice you treated him well. And just wait, the next time will be better--maybe not lots, but some. At some point you'll have earned the right to be heard by him and you can speak some truth into his life. He'll actually listen when you tell him that he doesn't have to be right all the time or an exaggerating windbag 24/7, or whatever.

As for going on a hunt with somebody here, free or not, I think I'd be honored that they asked me, and would give it a go. If they prove to be unsafe (like they get drunk and point their gun at me) or steal my stuff, then I'd have speak up. But, their general popularity here on this website wouldn't likely influence my decision.

And FWIW, I agree with others: I don't know why people are good guys in person but not nice behind the keyboard. It doesn't add up for me. But again, there's a reason for it. It might be worth finding out what that reason is...

Waders, with all due respect, BT/DT. It didn't happen and didn't work; it just enabled the lowlife cretin to continue in his predetermined and nefarious manner.
all my hunts are free, save for gas, food, ammo, etc. i won't soil one of my favorite past times by bringing along someone i don't like. hell, i don't even bring along people i DO like most of the time.
Hunting and fishing are so close to my soul.

I get numerous folks wanting to go with me after looking at my pics.

The outdoors is like my very own personal religion, especially with my kid.

Really hard to let an outsider into such an intimate side of my life unless we're real close.
Sal,

If you claimed it a religion, could you get away with more of it in the PRK?

Rhetorical question, mostly. wink
Originally Posted by 4ager
Sal,

If you claimed it a religion, could you get away with more of it in the PRK?

Rhetorical question, mostly. wink

And is there tax breaks?
I had rather sit in a blind and stare at an empty sky with good folk than hammer a limit with a pos. That said I would hunt or fish with all but a few people here on the fire and that is an open invitation for all but big stick, brick top, sherp, and safariman. Those bastards can GFT. A few others are complete dikheds but I enjoy a good pissin match from time to time, after all I too am a dikhed at heart.
I'm probably a dickhead too. There are quite a few people here w/ whom I have had serious and vitriolic disagreements but would enjoy meeting in person and know that I could learn from them.

Then there are the Sherps, Safariman and other mindless twats that couldn't buy a moment of my time at any price.

This freeranging no rules brawl is why I check this site every day.

Thanks Rick, let it rip!!!

mike r
I'm still confused about the reason for the thread.

I ain't offered none of you a free hunt.
Originally Posted by curdog4570
I'm still confused about the reason for the thread.

I ain't offered none of you a free hunt.

Quiet, Man !

It's a bout to morph into an offshore invitational Shark fishing debacle.

Think of the potential,...Let it evolve,....
Curdog, I invite you to join me in my upcoming 5th year of wolf hunting.
I haven't even seen one yet but we can limp around in the snow w/ rifles and curse the libs and other limp dick critters. Any hunting is better than not hunting... if you don't kill anything you can still drink whiskey and you don't have to carry anything out.

mike r
Originally Posted by lvmiker

Then there are the Sherps, Safariman and other mindless twats that couldn't buy a moment of my time at any price.

mike r

Exactly
I would share a camp with Miss Lynn anytime and it wouldn't have to be a hunting camp. smile
[Linked Image]
I haven't even seen one yet but we can limp around in the snow w/ rifles and curse the libs and other limp dick critters. Any hunting is better than not hunting... if you don't kill anything you can still drink whiskey and you don't have to carry anything out.

mike r

It sounds like my Mountain Lion hunting. Except I did see one.

We'll do wolves at your place and lions at mine.
Originally Posted by curdog4570

mike r

It sounds like my Mountain Lion hunting. Except I did see one.

We'll do wolves at your place and lions at mine.
lol

Should I ever be in the financial position to do so I shall wander over there and organise some hunting with Boxer...and hang what anyone else thinks.

The legend continues. And never ceases to amaze. smile
Everyday Hunter is sometimes pretty intolerable to me. But I still must hunt with him.

Steve.
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Everyday Hunter is sometimes pretty intolerable to me. But I still must hunt with him.

Steve.

laugh laugh

Sooooo,you got Claiborned huh?
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Should I ever be in the financial position to do so I shall wander over there and organise some hunting with Boxer...and hang what anyone else thinks.

THAT needs to be on video, and someone will need a bank loan for the bar tab.
I can tell you one thing, it would be a cold day in hell before I went hunting with Vanimrod.

That guy's a dick.
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
I would share a camp with Miss Lynn anytime and it wouldn't have to be a hunting camp. smile

Easy there tiger.
I can't overstate how much I regret starting this thread.

Hey, why'd you get all indignant with me when you post like this? This is what I was talking about with the whole Miss Lynn thing bud.
Were you drunk, drugged, or catatonic?
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Hey, why'd you get all indignant with me when you post like this? This is what I was talking about with the whole Miss Lynn thing bud.

[Linked Image]
Deal. I am hoping that if I call enough in the right place I might get both/either. Idaho has reduced price Lion tags for NRs this year. NR hunters license. wolf and lion tag for about $235.00. When the snow blow I'm gonna go. How do you like snowshoeing and pulling a sled?

mike r
I will hunt with, fish with, dine with, ride with, and drink with anybody willing to pick up the tab.

Although if I suspect the hunting, fishing, or food won't be really good, then I may reconsider.

Travis

You said something about me getting all hot and bothered or something like that.

I would like to sample her cooking is what I am saying.

I would like to sample her cooking is what I am saying.

Easy, easy there tiger.

Damn, just damn. Have a good one....
Originally Posted by RickyD
Were you drunk, drugged, or catatonic?

Yes

Randy;

Dwayne

Truer words have never been spoken.
before this gets out of hand, lets set something straight.

I'm not offering any free hunts.

Go forth and F yourn selves.

grin
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
Damn, just damn. Have a good one....

HA!

Who and why?
Speaking of which,

Having met Travis I can say he's welcome in my camp any time. It's a shtick, guys-get over it.
© 24hourcampfire