Home
Me,

Olive oil, kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper, garlic, onion.
No marinade

Room temp meat is the key.

Hot grill. Medium done, but no blood.

You?.
Sounds good except I do like more pink
Mesquite grilled, salt, black pepper with garlic butter on the side.
Originally Posted by RDW

This but done medium rare.

Mesquite is hard to beat for flavor in steaks.

MM
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by RDW

This but done medium rare.

Mesquite is hard to beat for flavor in steaks.

MM

+100
Mesquite fire, a cut of flat iron beef salt and peppered, rare with blood.
Forgot to add, ribeye 1 1/4" thick
Depending on thickness 4-5 min per side at 400-500F.

Done deal, so easy and so good.

3/4" thick small T Bone from a 600 lb calf on good grass and still sucking.

Melt some lard in a cast iron skillet 'til it's almost smoking. Salt and coarse ground black pepper. Cook 4 minutes, turn, and cook 3 minutes on other side.

The best steak that I ever ate was a fresh caribou tenderloin that was marinated in Montreal Steak seasoning and broiled over hot campfire coals. I think maybe the ambience had something to do with it. grin

[Linked Image]

KC

I actually prefer a good pork chop.
Hey KC, you screwed up. You look like your avitar. wink
KC, you win!
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Me,

No marinade

You?.

Exactly what I had for supper tonight with mashed taters & mushrooms.
Fresh cracked pepper is a key ingredient. Not ground.

Cracked on the backside of a saute' pan.
Ribeye with a local butchers pineapple brown sugar pork sausage. [Linked Image]

With a Rocky Menefee blade
Thick Ribeye steak. Olive oil, water, splash of basalmic vinegar, montreal steak seasoning makes the marinade. Medium rare blood or not doesn't matter. Vadalia onions sauteed in butter, olive oil, and brown sugar. A1 bold and spicy and horseradish if I really want to over do it.
I had a natural gas grill built in last summer, always cooked on charcoal/wood prior to that (no lighter fluid, started with a chimney and newspaper). The last steaks I cooked (July 4th) were my best yet, medium rare as always and seasoned with a blend (salt, pepper, garlic, thyme, ...).

Anyway, it has a sear burner that replaced one of the regular burners, and I use a box of wood chips to get some smoke flavor. It's been a learning process all over again, but those steaks last weekend were pretty dang good!
Caribou is surprisingly delicious.

Montreal Steak seasoning

Would be most apropos if the animal was taken in northern Quebec...
Cavenders on a ribeye before grilling.

https://greekseasoning.com/

Nice.
If you feed your cattle good forage, access to good water and no excessive confinement, you don't need seasoning...maybe some mushrooms on top. wink

Tonight...t-bone's medium rare.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by RAS
Cavenders on a ribeye before grilling.

https://greekseasoning.com/

That is good on everything , but was out at the moment at deer camp
Ribeyes are hard to beat.
Since my folks are gone and my daughter was busy, I bought myself a 2" thick Porterhouse for Fathers Day. Seasoned it with Charbroil mix from Alden Mill House and piled the Kingsford on half the Weber. Put the steak on the "cool" side and covered it till the internal temp hit 100*. Flipped it over on the hot side to get a good sear on both sides, then rested it till it hit 140*. Game on!!!

[Linked Image]

Game over, no leftovers. Aahhhhhh laugh
[Linked Image]
tmitch,

I do something similar. I start with a nice thick ribeye, salt liberally on both sides and let the steaks rest at room temp. for about an hour. The salt will initially pull moisture out of the meat, but after about 45 minutes or so the juices will reabsorb into the meat, drawing some of the salt in with it.

Bank a nice hot bed of coals on one side of the grill, and place the steaks on the grill as far from the coals as possible. I crack the lid on my grill to keep the temperature inside the grill from getting too hot. Turn the steaks every 5 minutes until they have an internal temperature of 115-120 degrees. If you do this correctly the surface of the meat is an ugly pale brown/tan color, and usually takes 20-25 minutes. If they heat up faster than this you have them too close to the coals!

As soon as they reach the correct temperature quickly baste them with melted butter or olive oil and any additional seasoning of your choice (Montreal seasoning, Sweet Mesquite, etc...). Flip the steaks and place them over the bed of VERY hot coals. You want the coals glowing cherry red and just below the grill. Baste and season the side facing up and flip again, just letting the steaks sear over the coals for no more than one minute per side.

The surface of the steaks will be nice and seared, with that great char-grilled flavor, while the inside of the steak will be uniformly rare/medium rare through the entire thickness of the meat.

Chris
Montreal seasoning is too strong for me. I prefer plain old salt and pepper, although I do marinade a few once in a while. The real question is what cut do you prefer? I like a thick t-bone or ribeye personally.
Ribeye with Spade=L-Ranch seasoning and cooked over charcoal to about medium. Top with sauteed mushrooms or caramelized onions.
At least 1 1/2" thick, room temp, about 3 minutes per side on a 500 degree grill. A good steak doesn't need anything to help it be a good steak.

I like NY Strips, T-bones and Ribeyes.

A few days ago I marinated skirt steak in olive oil, lemon juice, rosemary, garlic, parsley and a touch of Pinot Grigio. I cut the "slabs" into 1 1/2" wide strips and skewered them with the rosemary stems and grilled them on a hot fire of chunk mesquite coals, a bit over a minute a side. Served with roasted potatoes in olive oil, salt and pepper and a salad of greens, cherry tomatoes and avocado drizzled with olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. It was killer. My most memorable steak fest was whilst hunting in northern BC and having a tenderloin sampler of moose, elk, mountain goat and Stone sheep. This on local wood we cut and split. Again, killer.
Originally Posted by curdog4570
3/4" thick small T Bone from a 600 lb calf on good grass and still sucking.

Melt some lard in a cast iron skillet 'til it's almost smoking. Salt and coarse ground black pepper. Cook 4 minutes, turn, and cook 3 minutes on other side.

curdog4570
I like my moose steak done the same way and as I finish the first you can start me a second exactly the same way. Man I can taste it already. Cheers NC
One last pic, a fire no gas [Linked Image]
I think this is the first time I have heard anyone mention Cavenders seasoning. It is good on everything. I was turned on to it one year when I was at the neighbors butchering. We roasted a half a hog and used it to season the pork. I don't think I have cooked any meat without it for several years.
It is good on salads too. I even tried it instead of salt and pepper on cottage cheese and loved it. I buy the stuff in a 5 lb. tub now. Just stay away from the salt free version, it just does not cut it.
Bill
Personally, I like a good Rump steak...Start with it at room temp, brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper..

Place it in a hot, dry fry pan and sear on both sides for a couple or three minutes. When the steak first hits the pan its important to let that side sear/seal properly before turning it over..

If the steak is fairly thick, use a pair of tongs to hold the edges to the hot pan to sear those too..

Once cooked to your liking, remove to a warm plate and place somewhere warm to allow it to rest for a few minutes..

When I am having onions with it, I'll fry those off first, and then return them to the pan to warm through while the steak is resting.

If you like cream based sauces, now is the time to cook those as well..cream, onions, a little Fench mustard is my favourite..
Dad recalled some steaks one time that took on a pretty special meaning to him and his father. Dad and his dad used to hunt out of a camp in Pa. up close to Lake Erie and in a very remote area. They took the train in to the end of the line at a logging camp, and hired a horse drawn wagon and a teamster to haul them and their gear in another 30 miles to camp. Dad was just a young boy at the time. In these days, it was way more the exception that the norm to even see a deer, let alone shoot one. They were nearing the end of their stay in camp. All the others had broken camp that morning. Grampa finally saw a deer, and killed it with his old shotgun. They ended up getting snowed in at the campsite, and had to wait out the storm for a couple days. Low on supplies by then, they ate a lot of deer meat. Dad said it was the best tasting venison he ever had, and said they'd have been awful hungry if not for that deer. Kinda puts a whole new spin on things when you know that deer meat is what kept them going til they could get out of there.
Beef steaks, I prefer a porterhouse or T-bone followed with the ribeye. My wife prefers ribeye, so guess which I buy the most of. Anyway, grilled with butter, salt and pepper, Med. Rare. Deer steak, I take a chunk of loin or one of the better muscles off the ham, and marinate in Dales seasoning for 2-3 hours, in the fridge. I then grill it to rare. I usually cook several chunks, and any left over gets used for breakfast. I slice it pretty thin and fry in a mixture of oil and butter just until it gets hot. Does not take long at all. Then fry eggs in the left over oil and enjoy. Tenderloins get seasoned flour and fried. miles
Me,

No marinade

You?.

#1 ribeye. 1.75" bone in trimmed
Brushed with clarified bacon grease, sprinkled with kosher salt.
Yes ...room temo!
500 degree cast iron pan.
40 seconds each side and rest for 5 minutes.
I prefer a good, thick bone-in rib eye. About 21 ounces will do nicely, grilled to medium rare over charcoal. For seasonings, just salt and black pepper will do fine.
The ribeye is generally my favorite, but a nice cut of sirloin is a great chunk of beef. I use generic charcoal, and season with garlic and black pepper.

I sear both sides well and then put the meat over the cooler side and put the lid on for 3-4 minutes.
I like a classic medium, with a warm pink center.

Salt is a drying agent and will, if used prior to cooking reduce the juice in a steak.
A quality cut rib-eye, tenderloin, T-bone, porter...over nuclear heat to a warm center and some sauteed morels on the side. I keep the seasoning simple w kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper just before it goes on. And I'm in the boat of letting it sit at room temp for awhile before the inferno.
Light olive oil in a smoking hot cast iron skillet, room temp ribeye. Salt, pepper, sear both sides, finish in a 450 degree oven.

RIP Mickey. Thanks for the tip.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2644251/1
Cubed Elk Steak rolled in Flour, Seasonal, Ground Pepper fried in Olive Oil in a Cast Iron Skillet with all the trimmings.
Originally Posted by milespatton
Beef steaks, I prefer a porterhouse or T-bone followed with the ribeye. My wife prefers ribeye, so guess which I buy the most of. Anyway, grilled with butter, salt and pepper, Med. Rare. Deer steak, I take a chunk of loin or one of the better muscles off the ham, and marinate in Dales seasoning for 2-3 hours, in the fridge. I then grill it to rare. I usually cook several chunks, and any left over gets used for breakfast. I slice it pretty thin and fry in a mixture of oil and butter just until it gets hot. Does not take long at all. Then fry eggs in the left over oil and enjoy. Tenderloins get seasoned flour and fried. miles

You'd do much better to use a real brewed soy sauce like Kikkoman and spruce it up with a few additions. Dale's is mostly chemistry set "soy sauce" that is lame in comparison.
Originally Posted by johnw
The ribeye is generally my favorite, but a nice cut of sirloin is a great chunk of beef. I use generic charcoal, and season with garlic and black pepper.

I sear both sides well and then put the meat over the cooler side and put the lid on for 3-4 minutes.
I like a classic medium, with a warm pink center.

Salt is a drying agent and will, if used prior to cooking reduce the juice in a steak.

It seems counter intuitive, but the trick is to leave the salt on long enough. Either salt the steak immediately before cooking, or a good long while before cooking. In between times are what mess it up.
Yes on salt. I use a ton of coarse salt, an it hits the meat immediately before cooking.
Best steaks I have prepared myself were Elk tenderloins marinated in a little burgundy wine and seasoned with cracked pepper and cooked medium on a gas grille. Excellent taste and the smell of them put right back on the mountainside were I found them attached to their original owner!
When cooking steak indoors.

I like a good quality rib eye with bone, or a T-Bone, usually about 10 to 12 ounces.

I preheat my oven to 250 degrees and rub the steak on both sides with about 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with freshly cracked pepper and sea salt to taste. Place steak on a rack set over a baking sheet. Roast the steaks on the middle rack of the oven for 15 minutes for rare and 20 minutes for medium rare. Remove steak immediately after the time is up, and set aside.

Now heat a skillet, adding just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan, heat till oil starts to shimmer on the surface (indicates hot enough to sear meat), place steak using tongs at this point in skillet and brown for 3 minutes on one side, and 3 minutes on the other side, and a minute around the edges if you like it that way. Now at this point place steak on rack again and let it rest in a warm place for about 10 mins, giving time for the juices to redistribute through the meat. Serve as you like.

I serve this Peppercorn Sauce on the side as my youngest daughter just loves it and gets quite put out when I do not take the few minutes to make it.

For the Peppercorn Sauce

I usually double this recipe.

1 teaspoon butter
1 teaspoon olive oil
½ cup chicken broth
15-20 whole black peppercorns
¼ teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons heavy cream
salt and pepper, to taste

Add butter and olive oil to skillet over medium heat. Allow the butter to melt and then whisk in chicken stock, Dijon mustard, heavy cream and peppercorns. Cook until thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and drizzle over steaks.
Buddy of mine is a meat salesman. Last weekend for ghe fourth he had a few people over.

Prime grade ribeye's with the bone in, Frenched. Had to be 2" thick.

He used fresh ground salt and pepper, vacuum bagged them, and into a large pot of water with a sous vide machine going at 129. 8 hours I think.

After the bath they went on a grill that was stupid hot for about 2 minutes each side.

Hands down the best steak I ever ate.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
At least 1 1/2" thick, room temp, about 3 minutes per side on a 500 degree grill. A good steak doesn't need anything to help it be a good steak.

I like NY Strips, T-bones and Ribeyes.

This.
Originally Posted by KC

The best steak that I ever ate was a fresh caribou tenderloin that was marinated in Montreal Steak seasoning and broiled over hot campfire coals. I think maybe the ambience had something to do with it. grin

[Linked Image]

KC

Not lucky enough to try caribou, but Nebraska mule deer cooked just like that is simply awesome. Just don't over cook.
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
I preheat my oven to 250 degrees and rub the steak on both sides with about 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with freshly cracked pepper and sea salt to taste. Place steak on a rack set over a baking sheet. Roast the steaks on the middle rack of the oven for 15 minutes for rare and 20 minutes for medium rare. Remove steak immediately after the time is up, and set aside.

Now heat a skillet, adding just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan, heat till oil starts to shimmer on the surface (indicates hot enough to sear meat), place steak using tongs at this point in skillet and brown for 3 minutes on one side, and 3 minutes on the other side

That is quite close to the way I do it.

Oven set for 275. Steak has a thermometer probe in it. As soon as the center of the steak reaches 100 degrees, it comes out.

Outdoors on the patio is a gas camping stove and a cast iron skillet with a bit of olive oil in it. Rub the steak with whatever.

When the oil is smoking over a full gas burn, the steak goes into the pan. Two (2) minutes per side for 1.5+" thick steak. Let it rest for 10 minutes.

Seared on the outside, bloody and tender on the inside.
Letting a steak rest after cooking is important, I do not know how dead flesh tightens up while cooking ,but it does. a Steak is much more tender after a ten minute rest in a warm location , then if eaten "RIGHT OFF THE GRILLE".
Originally Posted by wyoming260
Letting a steak rest after cooking is important, I do not know how dead flesh tightens up while cooking ,but it does. a Steak is much more tender after a ten minute rest in a warm location , then if eaten "RIGHT OFF THE GRILLE".

Yes, very good point.

I may have found where I'd like to eat, though I didn't see a profusion of juices in that plate from the steak.

been teaching the 17 year old to grill steaks. Us 2 min per side on a 700 grill. then move them to a top rack away from the flames for 3-4 minutes depending on thickness of cut.

season ours similar to what's been mentioned.

and YES whomever said room meat temp is key, is spot on.
NY steaks being seasoned now. Salt, pepper, garlic, oregano rubbed in topped with fine chopped onion. Pierced and then apple cider vinegar lightly drizzled on to tenderize. Not marinated.
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
I may have found where I'd like to eat, though I didn't see a profusion of juices in that plate from the steak.

been teaching the 17 year old to grill steaks. Us 2 min per side on a 700 grill. then move them to a top rack away from the flames for 3-4 minutes depending on thickness of cut.

season ours similar to what's been mentioned.

and YES whomever said room meat temp is key, is spot on.

A profusion of juices on the plate means you have a juicy plate. Cutting into a steak after insufficient resting time will cause that.
Originally Posted by smarquez
NY steaks being seasoned now. Salt, pepper, garlic, oregano rubbed in topped with fine chopped onion. Pierced and then apple cider vinegar lightly drizzled on to tenderize. Not marinated.

Steaks need tenderizing?
Bone in Ribeyes on Oak coals. [Linked Image]
Originally Posted by northcountry

I like my moose steak done the same way and as I finish the first you can start me a second exactly the same way. Man I can taste it already. Cheers NC

Mmmm moooose.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
2" Ribeye cooked medium rare on charcoal with applewood for smoke.
I like tender rare beef. I order prime rib frequently and season it with some Au Jus as wanted.

Being tender is primary.

The Dakota restaurant in CT has photographs of hunters with their game and guns along with many game trophy's.

[Linked Image]

Dry aged cowboy ribeye, olive oil, Montreal seasoning, seared on cast iron and finished over the coals to rare.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mike
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by northcountry

Mmmm moooose.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Those pics make me want to shoot one even more! Moose is tasty.
Not steak but I grilled a couple pork tenderloins last night. Seasoned 'em liberally with Larue's "Dillo Dust" and let sit for a hour to reach room temp. Grilled to med well over med-high heat with some cherry wood in my wood chip box - dam good, tender, juicy, etc!!!
On average?

1" or better ribeye. Rare as rare can be.

Perfection?

BOWHUNER post sums it up.

Travis
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Dry aged cowboy ribeye, olive oil, Montreal seasoning, seared on cast iron and finished over the coals to rare.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mike

What kind of contraption is that?

[Linked Image]

Mike

now that's a chunk of beef!
For my last meal I want pork chops. Big thick, with a massive amount of fat on the edge. Smother with Montgomery Inn barbecue sauce on one side while grilling over low heat, cook till black on the fire side, flip it smother that side with the same and cook until blackish. When I pull it off the grill the fat should still me smacking and making noise when I sit down to eat it. Trick is to cook it long enough the fat is all melty and wonderful and the meat not dried into leather.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mike

That steak is cooked beautifully, but I wouldn't call that rare. I prefer what you've shown to rare.

Genuine rare, while soft, isn't that tender. Instead it's squishy, and doesn't part to the tooth as nicely as a steak cooked just a little bit more.

How long did you wait before you cut into that steak? There looks to be too much juice on the board for it to have rested well.
Ribeye, very thick.

Salt, pepper, and other spices if desired, rubbed on heavily. Ziplock bag in fridge for a week, or two is even better. Pour any blood off once in awhile until it gets/stays dry for at least a couple of days. You've got perfectly aged meat with the salt/spices drawn into the meat.

Bring to room temperature for a couple hours. Cook on low indirect heated hardwood coals until it gets over 110F internal. Then a little butter on each side, and a couple of minutes per side on a blazing hot fire. Let rest for at least 10 minutes on a warm covered plate.
Agreed. Closer to medium rare. It was rested for 15 minutes.

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mike

This. Made reservations at Ruth's on the river for this evening. smile
Agreed. Closer to medium rare. It was rested for 15 minutes.

Mike

Looks absolutely perfect Mike!

Is that one of the dry aged RE's that you did yourself??

Steak with a side of sausage........... Not much of a veggie guy, or a meat and potatoes guy are ya?????? laugh

P.S. is you are washing it down with Latrobe's finest then you should not need much fiber!!!!!
Originally Posted by byc
Is that one of the dry aged RE's that you did yourself??

Yes sir, it is. Did you ever get one started?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mike

Perfect!!!
Originally Posted by wyoming260

Steak with a side of sausage........... Not much of a veggie guy, or a meat and potatoes guy are ya?????? laugh

P.S. is you are washing it down with Latrobe's finest then you should not need much fiber!!!!!

was at deer camp, and forgot to get somes veggies to take.

was even out of instant taters.

RR is always good grin
I have a lifelong friend whose mother considers me a son, a dear lady who cooks a lot of exceptional food. But she has a lapse in taste, she likes her steak cooked until it's gray throughout. Yet she wonders why it's so hard to get a tender steak.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mike

Now there's a damned nice hunk of flesh, cooked about to perfection to my tastes. I will disagree with you on how done it is, though. What I see in your pic is cooked medium to medium rare IMO; it's not what I'd call rare. A rare cooked steak has a lot more red to it, not just pink, and technically, deals with temperature as well as doneness. Still, a great looking piece of meat and nice effort. Well done! Er, nice job, I mean... wink

[Linked Image]

© 24hourcampfire