Home
Posted By: 4ager If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
If the Boy Scouts of America are now "out", then what other organizations are there that are good for kids in instilling similar values and experiences to/for kids?
Posted By: deflave Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
I don't count on any organization to do that.

Travis
Posted By: shrapnel Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15

The same organizations that existed years ago, and they worked:

Family
Church
Posted By: add Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
The Alter Boy apprenticeship?
Posted By: 4ager Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
You're both missing the point. No organization like BSA used to be is a replacement for family or church, but a supplement to them.
Originally Posted by 4ager
You're both missing the point. No organization like BSA used to be is a replacement for family or church, but a supplement to them.

Didn't miss the point. The reason for the scouts was the beginning of the decline that we now have 100 years later...
Posted By: MadMooner Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
BSA is set up to augment church and family, not replace them. That is why troops are set up through churches.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
Some of my grandkids are involved with 4H.
Posted By: jds44 Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
Trail Life is supposed to be founded on the original BSA principals and Christianity.

Trail Life USA

Even with the rulings, my boys are still in Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts. Our pack and troop's local leadership and values have not changed and that matters a hell of a lot more than the "corporate" policy of BSA.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
All I know is this: Now that homosexuals can be Boy Scout leaders, how long will it be before pedophiles want to be in charge of Girl Scouts?

Because if you allow the one, there's no way you can stop the other.
Posted By: deflave Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15

Myself and my son participated in Scouts for one year. May as well have been one hour because that's how long it took to figure out I didn't need 'em.

Travis
Posted By: Scott F Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
Here is a hint that will help. BSA is not out. But no matter where parents allow their kids to go the parents MUST be involved. You kid attends a church youth group you need to know the who, what, when, and where. Some with BSA or anything else.

I know some fine upstanding men involves with scouts who if anything will be more alert for wrong doing than before. The Campfire's own Seafire comes to mind. I know John. Been a guest in his home and spent a lot of time with the man. He is been in scouting a long time and I am willing to bet nothing wrong will go on in any troop he has anything to do with.

But nowhere is safe to just let your kid be a part of without your active involvemen. The day of just sending a kid off somewhere without your supervision are long over. It is nothing like when most of us were kids and it really was not safe back then. Trust me, I know.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
Regardless of how you and I may feel, the LGBT community is a very active minority that, through their energy, seem to overwhelm the mostly silent majority. Here in Omaha, BSA provides a safety net for a lot of boys from single-parent homes who might not otherwise have a positive adult male role-model in their lives.

My Son's BSA Troop already had to find a new sponsoring organization when BSA decided to accept gay scouts, as our long-time sponsor was a Lutheran Church (LC-MS) that is firmly anti-gay. I can't see how the decision to accept gay scouts and leaders into BSA will have a positive impact on membership, funding, and sponsoring organizations.

Time will tell.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
All I know is this: Now that homosexuals can be Boy Scout leaders, how long will it be before pedophiles want to be in charge of Girl Scouts?

you evidently are not aware, that the GSA went 'rainbow' some years back.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
Originally Posted by Scott F
Here is a hint that will help. BSA is not out. But no matter where parents allow their kids to go the parents MUST be involved. You kid attends a church youth group you need to know the who, what, when, and where. Some with BSA or anything else.

I know some fine upstanding men involves with scouts who if anything will be more alert for wrong doing than before. The Campfire's own Seafire comes to mind. I know John. Been a guest in his home and spent a lot of time with the man. He is been in scouting a long time and I am willing to bet nothing wrong will go on in any troop he has anything to do with.

But nowhere is safe to just let your kid be a part of without your active involvemen. The day of just sending a kid off somewhere without your supervision are long over. It is nothing like when most of us were kids and it really was not safe back then. Trust me, I know.

Well said
Posted By: 12344mag Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15

Pandora's box has been opened.........

I don't think they can stop then legally.
Posted By: Pete E Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15

As much as I am against the promotion of homosexuality as normal, homosexuality and paedophilia do not always go hand in hand..
Posted By: heavywalker Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
I need the BSA about as much as I need another hole in my head.

Posted By: jds44 Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
Originally Posted by Scott F

Amen. I'm a Committee Member and just finished the rest of my required training to become an Assistant Scout Master with my older son's troop and am a Den Leader of my younger son's Cub Scout pack. When my oldest daughter was in Girl Scouts, my wife attended every meeting with her and I went on the campouts. We know our kids are not being exposed to any nonsense because we are there with them and involved. That's the key - parent involvement.

No one is less thrilled than I am about BSA's decision, but the real rubber meets the road at the local troop level. Instead of pulling your boys out of scouting, get involved and make sure it's done right in YOUR troop.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
The GS were infiltrated with lesbians years ago. I remember reading about their 'sex education' classes where the girls were taught stuff that even the public schools wouldn't allow.
Posted By: ingwe Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
To no one in particular:

Ask anyone that works with or around abused children, NONE of them will allow their kids in a situation where they are 'supervised ' by other adults. This particularly applies to organized team sports, and church groups.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
Originally Posted by Pete E

As much as I am against the promotion of homosexuality as normal, homosexuality and paedophilia do not always go hand in hand..

Seems there have been a BUNCH of homo pedophiles, ask the Catholic church and Penn State.

Mainstream Christianity can be affected negatively with this decay as well. The government can conceivably deny "non-profit" status for any Church or Churches that may not allow same sex marriages in their churches...
Originally Posted by jds44

Amen. I'm a Committee Member and just finished the rest of my required training to become an Assistant Scout Master with my older son's troop and am a Den Leader of my younger son's Cub Scout pack. When my oldest daughter was in Girl Scouts, my wife attended every meeting with her and I went on the campouts. We know our kids are not being exposed to any nonsense because we are there with them and involved. That's the key - parent involvement.

No one is less thrilled than I am about BSA's decision, but the real rubber meets the road at the local troop level. Instead of pulling your boys out of scouting, get involved and make sure it's done right in YOUR troop.

I was involved in 4H for a couple of years both in a rick climbing and rescue club and in shooting sports. I had kids in my clubs that I never once saw their parents. It was almost imposable to get any parental help. I was mostly just a babysitter to them.

I was not a good fit in the scout troop I tried as a kid, I was more of a loner. But I have seen what scouting can do for some kids. I hope it is not OUT.
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
Question is; can your church afford all the lawsuits headed their way if their troop will not accept gays?
Posted By: shaman Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
I don't mean to paint B.S.A. and G.S.A. with a broad brush of condemnation. However, my experience with scouts was somewhat jaded. In Cub Scouts, I got on the wrong end of a fixed Pinewood Derby. I was going to join Boy Scouts, but the guys who I'd have been going in with wanted to do nothing but look at Playboy magazines on the campouts. I tried to get my sons interested, but they turned up their noses. Their read on who was involved was negative.

As a result, I took it upon myself to teach them what I could about camping, hiking, survival, etc. They've turned out all right. I don't regret not forcing them into scouting. My #2 son is already instituting my "Emergency Camping Trip" ritual in his family. That was a thing I used to do back when he was a sprout. At 10 AM on a Saturday morning I'd declare an Emergency Camping Trip, and everyone had to be in the car in an hour. We'd then head to a state park and camp overnight. It was a fun, exciting way to teach preparedness.

Over the past 40-some years, what I've seen is that good families produce good scouts. Families that seem to produce mall rats and soccer orphans don't. I've also seen that the same goofy politics that infest churches tend to bleed into their scout troups. It boils down to too many people using church and scouts as a career replacement.

As I said, I don't want to condemn scouting and I don't want to condemn scouts. I'm just saying I did not have the best of experiences with them. My advise has been to do as much as you can as an extended family first. That is what has worked with me and mine.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15

it's probably a lot more prevalent than proponents of homos want you to think. It does happen, and it will happen more that the availability of access opens the doors for exploitation.
I have no problem with looking at this from a very strict standpoint, and no problem with painting with a broad brush.
Posted By: Pete E Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
Over here, over the last 10 or 15 years, the whole issue of child abuse seems to have exploded.

It seems that its occurred within families, within local Government entities like schools and care homes, plus volunteer organisations like Scout Groups and Churches ect.

One common theme is that paedo's actively try to infiltrate positions to gain access to children and to focus on one aspect of this (homosexuals) detracts from the wider danger that children face.

To avoid placing children in danger, the advice given earlier about parental participation is about the best..My other thought is that a conviction for paedophilia should result in capital punishment unless there were exceptional circumstances..
Posted By: bea175 Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
If the Boy Scouts of America are now "out", then what other organizations are there that are good for kids in instilling similar values and experiences to/for kids?

Parents
Posted By: DaddyRat Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15

No one is less thrilled than I am about BSA's decision, but the real rubber meets the road at the local troop level. Instead of pulling your boys out of scouting, get involved and make sure it's done right in YOUR troop.[/quote]

^^^^This guy got it right. I am an Eagle Scout from 1985 and long time Girl Scout Leader. Yep, GIRL SCOUT leader. Get involved and run the troop, your troop, like it needs to be run. It works and adults and youth will appreciate it. Even dads can be girl scout leaders. Our troop camps, hikes, does archery, etc.............. and sells cookies. Get involved. I do stick out at Girl Scout leader training events and the reception is not always warm. I do not care, I am there for the scouts, not the council.
While I agree with you I think we are beating a dead horse most of the time. Today way to many parents just want someone else to do their kid raising work. My hats off to those who get and stay involved.
Posted By: Archerhunter Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Regardless of how you and I may feel, the LGBT community is a very active minority that, through their energy, seem to overwhelm the mostly silent majority. Here in Omaha, BSA provides a safety net for a lot of boys from single-parent homes who might not otherwise have a positive adult male role-model in their lives.

My Son's BSA Troop already had to find a new sponsoring organization when BSA decided to accept gay scouts, as our long-time sponsor was a Lutheran Church (LC-MS) that is firmly anti-gay. I can't see how the decision to accept gay scouts and leaders into BSA will have a positive impact on membership, funding, and sponsoring organizations.

Time will tell.

Oh, it'll have positive impact alright.

In that it'll avoid the negative impact of sensational media blitz and attacks from irs and other federal public service agencies.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
[quote=Pete E]

Seems there have been a BUNCH of homo pedophiles, ask the Catholic church and Penn State.

Huskers played them the next week.
Im the one who suggested coach tel the kids when huddled to call the play they all hold one hand over their bung hole.

I wasn't trying to be funny.

Now i gotta ask BSA how the hell is a kid supposed to strike flint over tinder one handed?

Posted By: mikeymjr23 Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
Guys...since when did all gay men turn into pedophiles?

Are we up in arms, trying to ban straight men from being GSA leaders, simply because they are sexually attracted to females, so they must want to do something wrong?

Now, as I have said before, my biggest concern with this is that the BSA is caving to the political pressure, and it makes me sick.

I am an Eagle Scout, and I truly hope that Scouts is around for my kids when I have them. But, you better believe that I will be an active participant of the troop, and I will be at the camp-outs and meetings.
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
Kid's growing up today have WAY too much organization in their lives. They spend entirely too much time with persons their own age and gender.

It's a result of changing from a rural society to an urban one. We had to "organize" our own activities, and had to include ALL the kids in walking or bike riding distance. This meant older and younger, boys and girls [sometimes].

At school we were trapped with a completely different bunch... all our own age.

At "home" the younger could learn from the older. Fathers were too busy trying to make a living, and mothers had a REAL full time job just keeping the household together.

The biggest damage the homo agenda has done to our society is that it has put a wall between kids and old guys that are not related to them.

No adult male nowadays is going to be caught around young kids that could learn much from him.

And that's sad.

I say good riddance to the BSA. Something will fill any vacuum left by their passing.
Originally Posted by mikeymjr23

Are we up in arms, trying to ban straight men from being GSA leaders, simply because they are sexually attracted to females, so they must want to do something wrong?

Not all strait men are perverts.
I hope that's simple enough answer.

Posted By: DMc Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
"Indian Princess" is an organization that comes to mind. Have your son register as "Caitlyn".

DMc
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
Leviticus 20:13
Originally Posted by curdog4570

No adult male nowadays is going to be caught around young kids that could learn much from him.

I stand in defiance of that.

I got stacks of bows and arrows.
Piles of frisbees.
Baseball gear enough for 3 teams.
5 gallon buckets full of golf balls.
etc.
Plus telescope and charts and schedules for kids to learn from.

Always a whole flock around here.

How many 4 yos you know know the definition of concentric circles or know where jupiter is in the night sky?

How many second year t ball players turn 8 double plays in a season and play part in 2 triple plays?

How many 2 to 3 yos you know that bait their own hook and cast their own pole?
Let alone coach kids half again their age on good archery form?

Besides my two, I am surrounded.
And I am trusted because I'm not a pervert.

No.
Yes.
I stand in defiance to that statement.

Posted By: rem141r Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
i would be more concerned with ad-hoc church youth functions than i would with scouting. BSA has had a "2 deep" leadership rule in place for years. there are safeguards in place that work and mandatory training at all levels. and now, if you don't do the training, your troop cannot recharter you. i have never seen any leader in scouts that was ever in a questionable situation with other scouts. my boys went from Tiger through Eagle and are now Assistant Scoutmasters. i was a Den leader, Cubmaster, Camping chairman, new parent coordinator, and am still Assistant Scoutmaster, merit badge counseler on about a dozen badges and Eagle coach. they, and many other young men, got OUT of it, what i put INTO it. i found that scouting was pretty lightweight compared to what me and my boys did on our own, but it taught them structure, discipline, leadership skills, and work/reward relationship. if you are going to be a drop-off parent and expect your troop or pack to run your kids through the program, find something else.

all this BSA bashing is misdirected. it is a fine organization. however, it is not a replacement for family activities or values.
Posted By: Hugh Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
4H
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15

The field is open for a new man to step forward, a man with boldness and vision, who can build a new national organization from the ground up.

Posted By: sherp Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
Will Police Explorers still be operated by the BSA?

http://www.sfweekly.com/sanfrancisc...outs-share-the-blame/Content?oid=2183404
Originally Posted by rem141r
i would be more concerned with ad-hoc church youth functions than i would with scouting. BSA has had a "2 deep" leadership rule in place for years. there are safeguards in place that work and mandatory training at all levels. and now, if you don't do the training, your troop cannot recharter you. i have never seen any leader in scouts that was ever in a questionable situation with other scouts. my boys went from Tiger through Eagle and are now Assistant Scoutmasters. i was a Den leader, Cubmaster, Camping chairman, new parent coordinator, and am still Assistant Scoutmaster, merit badge counseler on about a dozen badges and Eagle coach. they, and many other young men, got OUT of it, what i put INTO it. i found that scouting was pretty lightweight compared to what me and my boys did on our own, but it taught them structure, discipline, leadership skills, and work/reward relationship. if you are going to be a drop-off parent and expect your troop or pack to run your kids through the program, find something else.

all this BSA bashing is misdirected. it is a fine organization. however, it is not a replacement for family activities or values.

Hmmm, why did the do the 2 deep thing?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_Scouts_of_America_sex_abuse_cases
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
Originally Posted by deflave

Myself and my son participated in Scouts for one year. May as well have been one hour because that's how long it took to figure out I didn't need 'em.

Travis

Same with my GS. He dumped BSA and joined up with the Young Marines. He really likes that.
all this BSA bashing is misdirected. it is a fine organization. however, it is not a replacement for family activities or values. [/quote]

This ain't a BSA bash thread.
Not for me, anyway.

I'm bashing perverts and their infiltration of normalcy.

And I'm typing one handed cuz the other is covering my bung hole.
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215

Same with my GS. He dumped BSA and joined up with the Young Marines. He really likes that.

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/local/2014/07/14/annapolis-young-marines-child-sex-abuse/12630909/
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
... what other organizations are there that are good for kids in instilling similar values and experiences to/for kids?

Organizations aren't very good at instilling values in this country anymore. As for experiences, the insurance companies are pretty much in charge of those.

Seriously, how the hell does one implement perversion into family activities and values?

Read that part again, folks.
Tell me I'm the crazy one...

Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
Originally Posted by sherp

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/local/2014/07/14/annapolis-young-marines-child-sex-abuse/12630909/

Just goes to show that stuff like this can happen anywhere. Lots of people need killing.
Originally Posted by sherp

Just goes to show that stuff like this can happen anywhere. Lots of people need killing.

Whoa there!! If it was a civilian group then that should be the outcome, but that is the Young Marines and any organization connected to MIL/LE should receive much more leeway than civilians. THEY choose how to do things, not you.
Posted By: mcmurphrjk Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
When I was a kid, we had the Royal Rangers, a youth ministry with similar activities to the BSA.
They seem to be still around.
Posted By: mcmurphrjk Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
Royal Rangers
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk
When I was a kid, we had the Royal Rangers, a youth ministry with similar activities to the BSA.
They seem to be still around.

Doubt that will be very popular with Conservatives since the focus is more on winning kids over to Jesus versus the BSA focusing more on making kids cogs in the wheel like Eagle Scouts Micheal Moore and Michael Bloomberg.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
Ironically on the same day the BSA announces gay leaders are acceptable, there is a multi-victim lawsuit filled in MN against a scout leader who abused boys while out on trips some 30 years ago.
Maybe its just me but this is like allowing the fox to go into the henhouse to check for eggs.
Posted By: benchman Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/29/15
Parents.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/30/15
Originally Posted by rem141r

This is what my experience with Scouting has been, that the boys either learn, or fail to learn, to be responsible for themselves and their own rank advancement. However, since only about 5% of the boys who cross over from Webelos earn their Eagle Scout rank, it seems that most don't find the motivation to do the work required to reach Eagle.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/30/15
It's not necessarily lack of motivation that keeps kids from advancing to Eagle, most kids are incredibly busy and simply don't have the time. Schools pile on a heavy load of homework and if your kids are involved in sports there just isn't going to be time to attend scout meetings let alone work on merit badges and an Eagle Project.
Posted By: Calvin Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/30/15
I spent years figuring out how to do things right, so that when my kids get to the age when they can participate, they'll be able to do so safely and successfully. I can't wait till my girls get to the age when they can hunt/fish/camp with me. It's going to be good. No organizations for me. Some of the most rabid liberals were in charge of the Girl Scouts here and I wouldn't let my daughters be influenced by them for a minute.
Posted By: sherp Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/30/15
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Ironically on the same day the BSA announces gay leaders are acceptable, there is a multi-victim lawsuit filled in MN against a scout leader who abused boys while out on trips some 30 years ago.
Maybe its just me but this is like allowing the fox to go into the henhouse to check for eggs.

Even though the BSA doesn't like to admit to it, scouting has always been pre-training for military service so maybe that isn't a sore to pick at.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/us-38-men-raped-military-each-day-1464947
Posted By: Archerhunter Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 07/30/15
Originally Posted by Archerhunter
Originally Posted by mikeymjr23

Not all strait men are perverts.
I hope that's simple enough answer.

Maybe I didn't make this clear.
Maybe I spell it out a bit.

Very few men look at little girls with bad intent.

Let alone little boys.

ALL HOMOS ARE PERVERTS!
Without exception.

It cannot be argued.

It is an undeniable FACT.

Nobody in their right mind would try.

The more I think about your post the MADDER I get!

CHANGE YOUR THINKING!
IT'S WRONG!

WTF WOULD ANYONE DEFEND THIS HOSRESHIT?

Next thing people like you will say is that fathers aren't fit to raise their own daughters because one of them might be A PERVERT!

PHAGS ARE ALL PERVERTS!

Fug u.
Go fly your rainbow flag somewhere else.

God DAMN IT....
That pisses me OFF!
There is nothing there worth defending.
Don't you ever do that again.

Posted By: Archerhunter Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 08/02/15
I rather figured thatd be the end of it.

My lovely little Lady comments regurlarly, "you're the the thread killinist son of a bitch on here. If it can't be argued, least they should do is bring it TTT so other idiots like you can learn something."

She reads on here a lot.

She's pretty smart.
And she swears most of you fuggers ain't.

Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: If B.S.A. is O.U.T. - 08/02/15

Total BS, at least that is what vice cops (who are in a position to know) say on this subject. This isn't PC, so it doesn't get talked about, much the same as 30-something male homos have 100+ sex partners yearly doesn't either.
© 24hourcampfire