Home
Posted By: Scott F New Ford Truck Questions? - 09/14/15
Looking at new truck for camping, travel and every day only vehicle.

So those who have the ecobust with the six speed automatic how do you like them.

Then there is the possibility of a light weight pickup camper so would be better going with the F350 with a diesel?
I have owned four Ford trucks and all have them been great; however, I have 2011 that has developed a transmission problem and it is going to cost 600 to repair. I guess that is not too bad after four trucks but it still makes me mad.

I have the Ecoboost. It is very quick and very quiet. It does not get the gas mileage I expected. It will get 20mpg on the highway if I drive 60, but it if drive 70 or over it gets about 16.

I think that overall Ford is building a very good truck.
Posted By: Scott F Re: New Ford Truck Questions? - 09/14/15
Thanks, I head heard rumours about transition problems but nothing about poor mileage issues.
Posted By: 4ager Re: New Ford Truck Questions? - 09/14/15
I'd pay attention to what stxhunter and others are doing with diesels right now, my friend.

A diesel that is a few years old, with the modifications they are doing, would be cheaper up front and in the long run, and give you a lot more performance.
Posted By: 1minute Re: New Ford Truck Questions? - 09/14/15
I've never wanted a smaller motorcycle, truck, or stereo. Go with the biggest most powerful unit one can afford. My issue with today's rigs is that manual trannies have become a thing of the past. That being, I'll run my manual 6-speed long bed crew cab 350 diesel until it dies.
Posted By: Seafire Re: New Ford Truck Questions? - 09/14/15
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
I have owned four Ford trucks and all have them been great; however, I have 2011 that has developed a transmission problem and it is going to cost 600 to repair. I guess that is not too bad after four trucks but it still makes me mad.

I have the Ecoboost. It is very quick and very quiet. It does not get the gas mileage I expected. It will get 20mpg on the highway if I drive 60, but it if drive 70 or over it gets about 16.

I think that overall Ford is building a very good truck.

I've always been a firm believer in a trans cooler and a drain plug, and drop the trans fluid every 20K or less is a cheap investment compared to being at the mercy of a transmission shop...

If it doesn't have a drain plug in the pan, then tap one into there....

Good luck with whatever you get their Scott...
I get an average of 18.5 MPG Interstate from my '14 F-150 super crew 4x4 with a 5.0 under the hood and that's pulling my quad trailer with additional cargo. Around town driving averages about 16 or a tad more most of the time.
How are the valve cover gaskets on those EcoBoost engines?

FC
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: New Ford Truck Questions? - 09/14/15
you know they either have come out or are coming out with diesel trucks in the light truck arena?

I am glad i have my 12value 98 dodge cummings. I just think it is slightly obscene that you have to add cow pee to the new diesels for smog control.
I doubt it would or will happen, but i have wanted a toyota tundra 4x4 for a long time. Other than the cost, the one thing sticking on me is the lousy fuel economy.
Few years ago i dragged a m38military jeep on a flat bed trailer from detroit to arizona facing headwinds it seemed both ways. ran about 18.5mpg on that trip.
I have not had much of anything go wrong other than self inflicted battle damage.
The valve cover gaskets on Fords do not require regular service. smile

2014 Eco - 4x4 w. 3.73 axles. I've put about 34k on it. I've had the trans serviced once (it's a pain) and change the oil & filter every 4-5000 miles, which I do myself.

[Linked Image]

On Labor Day weekend I drove back from West Texas to Houston, averaged 15.7 mpg. That was running 82-83 mph most of the way, however, with variable winds. Drive it 65-70 and you might see 18-19 mpg, so as near as I can tell the mileage claims are pretty accurate - but 21 mpg is based on 55-60 mph. smirk

It gets 1-2 mpg better than my 2004 4x4 F150 with a V8, and has a bunch more power. So it does what I expected. The 36 gallon fuel tank is a nice deal, too, when you are out in remote country. It's a fairly competent vehicle off-road, given its size and weight. The locking rear diff is a nice feature, which I have used a couple times.

The 3.5L V6 turbo is rated at 365hp, but the real kicker is max torque is 420 ft-lbs, at only 2500 rpm, so the engine has excellent mid-range pulling power. Which probably hurts the economy, as you enjoy the pickup smile It will climb significant hills without downshifting out of 6th. It's rated to pull something like 9000 lbs, but I doubt if I will ever pull more than 3-4000 with it.

A 2wd with 3.31 or 3.55 axle would do better on economy, at a slight trade-off of power.

As far as Scott's question - I looked hard at the Super Duty trucks, but just could not justify the added cost. Now, the new Ram Diesels look pretty interesting.

But I'd also like to acquire a mid-90's 7.3 Ford, myself. smile
Looked at the Tundra. They are sold as fast or faster than they can hit the lot. Take the one they have or get out of the way attitude and the cost here is bad and mileage is worse.
My 2012 f350 crew cab averages 18 mpg mixed and 24 mpg on cruise at 65mph. At 75mpg it only drops to 19mpg. Not bad for a 1 ton
Posted By: T_O_M Re: New Ford Truck Questions? - 09/14/15
When I was looking at costs 'n' stuff last year I didn't think, given the miles I drive, a truck would last long enough for the very slight fuel savings on the ecoboost to offset the additional purchase and maintenance cost compared to the 5.0L. I'd go V8 all the way.

Unless you absolutely have to have a full size, I think the Toyota Tacoma and Nissan Frontier manual transmission options put them ahead of the full sized trucks.

I've owned both, both with 6 speeds and 4.0L engines. Current truck is a Tacoma. Frankly, the Nissan pulled stronger and got better gas mileage. If I were doing it again, I'd go back to a Frontier. Not to say the Tacoma is bad, it just doesn't have quite the torque or horsepower.

I helped a friend move ... dragged a U Haul about an hour each way on the Interstate with the Nissan. The trailer was rated for 5000 pounds and I'm sure we had every ounce of it. It'd tow at 70, barely, but it'd do it. A year later with the Tacoma I dragged the same friend's 2700 pound camp trailer. It felt a lot heavier than the U Haul. (Of course, neither handled a trailer like the F250 I had for a short while. If that SOB had a manual transmission you could not have pried it out of my cold dead fingers. It was a towing **beast**.)

Tom
my current plan (have a 2005 3/4 ton Chevy with 105K):

keep it and use it for plowing/towing/ big game hunting.

for everything else, use the CRV

gas money saved > new car payment

wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Pulling my loads at 70 MPH while turning only 1600 is why I chose the 5.0 over the 6.
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

2014 Eco - 4x4 w. 3.73 axles. I've put about 34k on it. I've had the trans serviced once (it's a pain) and change the oil & filter every 4-5000 miles, which I do myself.

[Linked Image]

On Labor Day weekend I drove back from West Texas to Houston, averaged 15.7 mpg. That was running 82-83 mph most of the way, however, with variable winds. Drive it 65-70 and you might see 18-19 mpg, so as near as I can tell the mileage claims are pretty accurate - but 21 mpg is based on 55-60 mph. smirk

It gets 1-2 mpg better than my 2004 4x4 F150 with a V8, and has a bunch more power. So it does what I expected. The 36 gallon fuel tank is a nice deal, too, when you are out in remote country. It's a fairly competent vehicle off-road, given its size and weight. The locking rear diff is a nice feature, which I have used a couple times.

The 3.5L V6 turbo is rated at 365hp, but the real kicker is max torque is 420 ft-lbs, at only 2500 rpm, so the engine has excellent mid-range pulling power. Which probably hurts the economy, as you enjoy the pickup smile It will climb significant hills without downshifting out of 6th. It's rated to pull something like 9000 lbs, but I doubt if I will ever pull more than 3-4000 with it.

A 2wd with 3.31 or 3.55 axle would do better on economy, at a slight trade-off of power.

As far as Scott's question - I looked hard at the Super Duty trucks, but just could not justify the added cost. Now, the new Ram Diesels look pretty interesting.

But I'd also like to acquire a mid-90's 7.3 Ford, myself. smile

I also have a '14 ecoboost. its been an awesome truck. previously I had an '02, '06 dodges with cummins. then a 2011 ford powerstroke, all trucks were new. the ecoboost is the first truck I have owned that has made it out of the warranty period with no issues. I would steer far away from the 3:73 gears its not needed for one my truck has 3:55's and I have towed 12k with it, that is 2k over the rated limit. power was no issue. before I bought my truck I did a test pull my 5500 # cargo trailer over parleys summit, starts out at 4500 feet then climbs to over 7k in a matter of 7 or 8 miles. I have pulled this summit with every truck I have owned. all the dodges, one of which was modified, and the ford. I arranged a test drive and hooked up to my cargo trailer which was parked at a parking lot around the corner from the dealership. I pulled the canyon with a brand new ecoboost off the lot. what I witnessed astonished me. I slowed at the bottom of the final ascent, then floored it. the ecoboost accelerated to over 80 mph. that is faster than all the other trucks except for the modded dodge. even that truck I would have to let off a bit because EGT;s would get hot. the ecoboost hit limp mode as I was running flat out but still crested the grade at 72 mph, which is about equal to the other trucks that were stock I owned, They were diesels BTW.

now days since its my truck (not the dealerships) I pull that same grade all the time and just run about 70 mph and have no issues with over heating or anything. the ecoboost is 2k less in weight than a superduty that makes up for the lesser torque amount over the diesel. so unless you know your towing over 10k a diesel is a waste.

I rode with a buddy on a fishing trip in his tundra, we were pulling a small boat. I noticed the tundra was constantly down shifting at every slight grade and reving to 3500 rpm or more. I was thinking my ecoboost would just torque its way over all those hills with that load. The ecoboost is a break through engine, the other makes have no answer for it. on paper they look similar however, they don't belt out the torque at diesel like low RPM like the ecoboost does.
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
My 2012 f350 crew cab averages 18 mpg mixed and 24 mpg on cruise at 65mph. At 75mpg it only drops to 19mpg. Not bad for a 1 ton

Engine? Trans? Rear?

[Linked Image]

What he said!
I've got nearly the exact same F-150 as his. Mine is a 2014 F-150 Super Crew 4x4 Eco-Boost. V-6 Platinum Model. Only difference is mine has the 3.31 rear axle. Reason I bought the Platinum Model, was because only the F-150 Platinum or King Ranch Version's have the 36 gallon fuel tank. All the other F-150 Models have the little 23 gallon gas tank.

I just got back on a trip from Colorado Springs to Dallas, almost 800 miles, and got 20 to 21 mpg going 75 to 80 mph all the way. So yes, the 3.31 rear end gets better mileage than the 3.73 or 3.55 rear axle. When I was headed up to Colorado, I had my cruise control set on 65 mph going up Raton Pass in the mountains. My 6- speed auto tranny never downshifted once on the climb. And it's a pretty damn steep incline on the way up.

I might add that I usually buy a new Ford pickup every 2 years. All my others in the last 20 years have been Ford Diesels. So I'm pretty dad gum pleased with my first gasser EcoBoost V-6, and highly reccomend it.
We want this truck because we plan on travelling and a lot of camping. We will be putting a 2000 pound camper on the back. We want something we can just park and go to bed or set up and stay a while. I can still drive some days but my wife will be doing most of the driving and she will not tow anything.

I am 66 and we have never owned a new vehicle. I think it may be time. As far as doing what Roger is doing I have no place to work on a truck and no longer have the ability even if I had a well equipped shop. So it will have to be something two old people can deal with and something we can afford and still travel and eat once in a while. grin

Thanks for the input. Right now it looks like the super cab F150 with a 6 1/2 foot bed meats our need the best.
Posted By: 4ager Re: New Ford Truck Questions? - 09/14/15
The F150 SuperCrew rides and drives so amazingly well you won't believe it. The F250 is almost as good, with more performance on towing.

Posted By: Axtell Re: New Ford Truck Questions? - 09/14/15
Originally Posted by Scott F
We want this truck because we plan on travelling and a lot of camping. We will be putting a 2000 pound camper on the back. We want something we can just park and go to bed or set up and stay a while. I can still drive some days but my wife will be doing most of the driving and she will not tow anything.

I am 66 and we have never owned a new vehicle. I think it may be time. As far as doing what Roger is doing I have no place to work on a truck and no longer have the ability even if I had a well equipped shop. So it will have to be something two old people can deal with and something we can afford and still travel and eat once in a while. grin

Thanks for the input. Right now it looks like the super cab F150 with a 6 1/2 foot bed meats our need the best.

I have a 2014 Ford 150, 5l 4x4 supercab xlt. Does everything that needs doing, not bad on fuel and comfortable to drive. With some care it should go a couple 100 thousand.
The price difference between the 250 and the 350 is almost nothing. I have not seen a F250 on a dealer's lot in several years. Also, out here a 2 wheel drive if a factory order. I have looked at three lots and found only one.
Our van died Sunday. Repairs about four times the value of the van. We are taking the Train to the from on Thursday, helping out over the weekend for the annual farm and fibre tour then renting a U Haul to bring back a lot of things. Going to do it while we have a bunch of strong kids on both ends to do all the heavy stuff and drive the truck.

Scott, y'all will love it if y'all buy one. And you will be pleasantly surprised at the power and torque the EcoBoost engine has the first time you put the petal to the metal! Also the best riding pickup I've ever owned.
Chilli, Not true on only platinums and king ranch having 36 gallon tanks, my XLT has a 36 gallon tank!

Eddie
I have a 2014 Ford 150 XLT Ecoboost with 3.31 gears, love everything about it. Prior vehicle was an 03 King Ranch with the 5.4, 240,000 and all I ever did to it was change the oil every 5000 miles.

Eddie
Posted By: SamOlson Re: New Ford Truck Questions? - 09/14/15
The best deal right now on new Fords is the super-cab F350 XLT with a 6.2 gas.

$40k(cab/chassis), $43k for one with a box.

I want to trade in our thrashed '03 6.0 dually and try the gas with singles. Warm up way faster when it's cold outside and should be way better in the snow and mud.

New crew-cab diesel or nice F150 is easily $50-60k so the price is noticeably lower.

If main use is hauling 2000 pounds in the bed I would want more than a F150.

Posted By: EdM Re: New Ford Truck Questions? - 09/14/15
I recently swapped my 2008 Silverado LTZ for a 2014 1794 Tundra and it is like night and day. Just a much more solid vehicle, reminds me of my '99 F150 Sport that resides in north Idaho. A truck...
Unless your getting a pop up camper, get a F250. Stay far away from the diesel unless you have deep pockets.
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Unless your getting a pop up camper, get a F250. Stay far away from the diesel unless you have deep pockets.

I need something soon and F250s are special order around here. six to eight weeks out. The pop ups and the one I am looking at are the same weight, just a little mere wind resistance. The F150 is $40,050 the diesel F350 are around $60,000. I thing a F 150 will have to do it for me.
The Dodge 1/2 ton diesels can be had for around $40k here, depending on options - although the pickup market is fairly depressed locally.

I have not yet heard how reliable they are. It will be interesting to see how they do.

wink
Originally Posted by tansinator
Chilli, Not true on only platinums and king ranch having 36 gallon tanks, my XLT has a 36 gallon tank!

Eddie

On the 2014 or the 2015 Models ???
Posted By: Razz Re: New Ford Truck Questions? - 09/14/15
2014 F150 Crew Cab 4x4 5.0L running BFG 10 ply TaKo2 tires. Pulling our Fleetwood E2 off road pop up i get 16 mpg running in the mountains. Highway running 75 ish I get a tad over 18 without the camper. Around town and mixed highway 17. I tend to have a heavy foot. Hardly know the camper is there until you look in the rear views. I saw mpg drop about 1mpg when I dropped the Michelans and got real tires.
[Linked Image]

2012 f350, 6.7 PSD, 6 speed auto with manual electric shift on column. 3.55 gears with 33.5×10.5×20 tires.

Mileage computer confirmed to be +/- 1mpg to actual fuel useage.

I also don't jump on the turbo all of the time when accelerating, but do drive it like a truck.
Posted By: Partsman Re: New Ford Truck Questions? - 09/14/15
wonder how it would be buying up here, your dollar is stronger.
Posted By: EdM Re: New Ford Truck Questions? - 09/14/15
Gotta luv truck threads....
Originally Posted by Partsman
wonder how it would be buying up here, your dollar is stronger.

Not real sure the duty would be worth it.
Originally Posted by EdM
Gotta luv truck threads....

Yep. Sometimes I miss 525 HP and a 13 speed transition. Driving a real truck made it hard for me to drive a pickup, had to remember to use the clutch every shift. I would climb over Tiger, Snoqualmie, and Blewett and never touch the clutch going up or down. The pickup didn't like that much.
Posted By: K1500 Re: New Ford Truck Questions? - 09/14/15
A 2,000 pound slide in camper+two occupants+gear+water+...=too much for a 1/2 ton.
Originally Posted by K1500
A 2,000 pound slide in camper+two occupants+gear+water+...=too much for a 1/2 ton.

That's what I was thinking too.

Scott - is 2K the dry weight of the slide-in?

Having a 2011 F250, If I were to do it over, I'd jump right past the 250 to the 350. F250s are soft. By the time you are fully loaded, it may well be more weight than anticipated.

Eddie

my '14 XLT short bed also has a 36 gallon tank. they all have 36 gallon tanks. the trucks that came with smaller tanks were the short bed superdutys

You ad Sam are correct about that.

2000 payload, plus gear is going to be too much.
Posted By: tzone Re: New Ford Truck Questions? - 09/15/15

Ok! Ususally we let Shrapnel deal with the gas mileage numbers but as a ford owner all my life...,these gas numbers are BS!
Posted By: Redneck Re: New Ford Truck Questions? - 09/15/15
Originally Posted by 1minute
I've never wanted a smaller motorcycle, truck, or stereo. Go with the biggest most powerful unit one can afford.
THAT..

I've always maintained that you can NEVER have too much truck..
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

You ad Sam are correct about that.

2000 payload, plus gear is going to be too much.

yup, dont do a half ton if you need to haul that weight of camper......you will regret it
Posted By: Calvin Re: New Ford Truck Questions? - 09/15/15
Why drop 40k into 1 rig? Craziness. Putting miles on a 40k rig is pissing away money. Get yourself a decent used car that will last forever and sip gas. (toyota, honda) and use that as your everyday driver, sightseer, etc. Then get yourself a used 2005-2008 truck with lower miles. Who gives a [bleep] about gas milage. Use it for hauling boat/wood/whatever. You'll put on about 2-3k a year and have it for a long time. Put the lowest insurance on both rigs. Win/win.
My 2012 F150 FX4 has a 36 gallon tank. 5.0 engine and around town I get about 14.8 mpg. On the interstate running 75 to 80 mph I get 17.8 mpg. Seems to be a great truck. It is for sure comfortable, leather, sunroof, heated and cooled seats, 110 volt plug inside the cab, extended cab, step in the tailgate, fold in mirrors, powered rear sliding window, and whatever else comes on one. Rides great to. I average about 25,000 miles per year on my trucks.

IMO, DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT buy a nissan. Quality is horrible and getting worse by the day. I have several friends that work there and none of them own a nissan and will not even get one through their lease program because they are so bad.
I've also got a 36 gallon tank in my FX4. The shorter wheelbase trucks will have 27's. Once in a while you will see Supercrews with 27's, but they aren't common.

I've had 1200 lbs of feed in the bed of my truck, and it worked fine, but 2000 with a higher center of gravity and I'd think F250 at a minimum, and maybe even dually.
Posted By: Scott F Re: New Ford Truck Questions? - 09/15/15
Originally Posted by Calvin
Why drop 40k into 1 rig? Craziness. Putting miles on a 40k rig is pissing away money. Get yourself a decent used car that will last forever and sip gas. (toyota, honda) and use that as your everyday driver, sightseer, etc. Then get yourself a used 2005-2008 truck with lower miles. Who gives a [bleep] about gas milage. Use it for hauling boat/wood/whatever. You'll put on about 2-3k a year and have it for a long time. Put the lowest insurance on both rigs. Win/win.

I have done that all my life. Let someone else run the nice miled then but their cast-offs. The last five cars I have owned we ran until they quit. The van that just died has four tires less than ten months old, new wheel barrings, starter and all four headlight and tail light housings replaced. Now it is at least $1400 just to see what it would take to meet emissions standards.

For once in my life I want something that I do not have to nickel and dime be into the poor house.

There has bee a load of good advice given here and I am considering every point made.

We could just cash out another thousand dollar beater and stay home but we kind of wanted to have a little fun before it is to late.

The F150 is rated to carry a 2000 pound slide in camper but I would have to ass rear air bags to the springs. The camper would only be on the truck for trips but it still concerns me. We looked at the Tundra but have not found a used one worth looking at and were not impressed with the "This is the only one, take it or leave it because it will sell today anyway" attitude we found at our dealers. Two and three year old used ones were well used and almost the same price as a new one.

We also understand a new Jetta that gets amazing mileage would be easy to cash out and the price difference would buy a lot of hotel rooms but we want to camp.

All in all we may end up with someones 3/4 ton or 1 ton used beater and the used camper and forget about having something real nice. Broken down seats are easily replaced with nicer seats and I have lived most of my life without a warranty.

At this point we are just looking and thinking. We will hve to get some transportation in the next two weeks but it could be just another junker.
There is a big difference between a "junker" and a good used rig. Buy a new rig, then you are going to get nickled and dimed to death on interest, insurance, and depreciation. That's how it works.
Posted By: JGray Re: New Ford Truck Questions? - 09/15/15
Originally Posted by SamOlson

That was my first thought when reading this thread. I've no idea on capabilities of new half ton trucks today, but when I've hauled/towed with them in the past (10+ years ago), I always wished I had more truck. Even when loads are within stated capacities, 1/2 tons are too squirrely under a load for my tastes...
We are looking another direction now, 20 MPG one ton diesel rig, no camper. A tad more a month and a LOT better for travel and camping.

And the 20 MPG is not just made up. Many owners who have had them a while confirm 20 to 22 MPG.
Posted By: 4ager Re: New Ford Truck Questions? - 09/15/15
Better choice. Calvin was right on the quality used rig vs new, too. Oh, and you were WAY over the weight for a 1/2 ton, and for a 3/4 ton. You were in 1-ton territory to start with.
Toyota does not make a truck that will do the job. The f150 is factory rated to carry a 2000 pound camper but I would not want to push the limit. Sow a F250 is minimum. Yes I know a half ton is a thousand pounds but the old time ratings are no longer true. Used is an option but not what we really want.

I am liking the numbers on the Airstream a lot better. Payments the same or less as the F350 and the camper but longer term. Resale value a lot better. Comfort for two old people a world of difference and the MPG best option yet.
Posted By: 4ager Re: New Ford Truck Questions? - 09/15/15
I've owned the 1/2 ton F150. Will it carry 2k? Yes. Would you want to do it for very long or very often? No. The 250 is getting there, but the 350 is the same size overall as the 250 and nearly the same price with more capabilities.

The camper is a far better idea, though you'll have problems with driving/parking it (not much beyond a 350, though), and any of the small appliances and small electronics/generators, etc., will be a PITA (think of it like a boat on the road).
PM sent
Posted By: JLimbo Re: New Ford Truck Questions? - 09/15/15
Hi Scott. If you could make it to Kellogg Id. Dave Smith Motors has some sweet deals on Ram 2500's. On the first page of 2015 inventory he has a tradesman (the only trim level with a manual transfer case shift instead of a silly knob or button on the dash)in 4wd and a manual 6 speed with a Cummins for only $39450.

If your not opposed to a Dodge that is alot of truck for the money.
The f150 is factory rated to carry a 2000 pound camper but I would not want to push the limit.

Pull out the camper sheet in the glove box. 1/2 tons will be rated in 1200-1400 LB range at best. If your thinking camper, get a 2500 or 3500. Unless your running a lot of loaded miles, the diesel probably won't pencil out dollar wise. I haul a 11' lance and ATV trailer with a 3500 and a 5.7 gas. I get 2 MPG less with the gas motor than my last diesel and it cost 7k less, plus gas is usually 20% cheaper than diesel.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: New Ford Truck Questions? - 09/15/15
There is a big difference between a "junker" and a good used rig. Buy a new rig, then you are going to get nickled and dimed to death on interest, insurance, and depreciation. That's how it works.

Good used rigs that are affordably priced for 3/4 and 1 tons are like a four leaf clover. Yes, they do exist but you'll be spending a lot of time trying to find one.

Sometimes you bite the bullet and get a new rig with a warranty. If you're going to be traveling all over with it, there is a value in knowing your odds of breaking down are dramatically reduced and should you break down you'll be covered under a warranty.
Posted By: Powerguy Re: New Ford Truck Questions? - 09/15/15
Originally Posted by tzone

Ok! Ususally we let Shrapnel deal with the gas mileage numbers but as a ford owner all my life...,these gas numbers are BS!

No way T, as the size of the truck goes up so does the fuel economy.

I have a 2012 F450 crew cab and it averages 29 mpg mixed and 38 mpg on cruise at 66 mph. At 75 mph it only drops to 31 mpg. Not bad for a 1 1/4 ton grin
Posted By: tzone Re: New Ford Truck Questions? - 09/15/15
grin
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

Good used rigs that are affordably priced for 3/4 and 1 tons are like a four leaf clover. Yes, they do exist but you'll be spending a lot of time trying to find one.

Sometimes you bite the bullet and get a new rig with a warranty. If you're going to be traveling all over with it, there is a value in knowing your odds of breaking down are dramatically reduced and should you break down you'll be covered under a warranty.

That's true. I looked a long time. Ended up with a 05 Ford F250 XL in good shape. 5.4, 4x4, manual, power nothing. (Extended Cab) 85k miles. Owner had just had a new clutch put in, and had most of the front end rebuilt. He couldn't drive the manual well. Paid 9k cash and then put Toyo M55s and a headache rack on it. I think I'm into it for about 11k now. It's an awesome truck and I take it places I shouldn't.
My 2014 XLT Ecoboost has a 36 Gal Tank, So does my Sons 2014 XLT.

Originally Posted by chlinstructor

[Linked Image]

What he said!
I've got nearly the exact same F-150 as his. Mine is a 2014 F-150 Super Crew 4x4 Eco-Boost. V-6 Platinum Model. Only difference is mine has the 3.31 rear axle. Reason I bought the Platinum Model, was because only the F-150 Platinum or King Ranch Version's have the 36 gallon fuel tank. All the other F-150 Models have the little 23 gallon gas tank.

I just got back on a trip from Colorado Springs to Dallas, almost 800 miles, and got 20 to 21 mpg going 75 to 80 mph all the way. So yes, the 3.31 rear end gets better mileage than the 3.73 or 3.55 rear axle. When I was headed up to Colorado, I had my cruise control set on 65 mph going up Raton Pass in the mountains. My 6- speed auto tranny never downshifted once on the climb. And it's a pretty damn steep incline on the way up.

I might add that I usually buy a new Ford pickup every 2 years. All my others in the last 20 years have been Ford Diesels. So I'm pretty dad gum pleased with my first gasser EcoBoost V-6, and highly reccomend it.
I wouldn't mind having a long bed pickup for when the need comes up. Tonight I looked at a 95 F250 4x4 with a 7.3 motor and manual trans. Standard cab, long bed. A real truck truck.

The motor was about the only thing still working. And I think it spent a lot of time on the beach. Rust fricken everywhere.

At some point the next owner will stomp on that lovely beast of a motor, and the whole truck is gonna spool up like a pretzel, when all the rusted structures fail. grin I passed.

Eddie

Mine is a 2014!
Originally Posted by SamOlson
The best deal right now on new Fords is the super-cab F350 XLT with a 6.2 gas.

$40k(cab/chassis), $43k for one with a box.

Get this truck for hauling or towing your camper. Skip the diesel. Sam got it right.

Eddie

Mine is a 2014!

Well just DAMN! Looks like my Salesman flat out lied to me. He knows I buy a new King Ranch every two years. He must have REALLY wanted to sell me a Platinum Model that day.
Imagine that. A car salesman that lies wink
Well we are potting the money in a money market account and waiting until this time next year. Brought home a nice little Ford Flex for getting around while we save some more.

Thanks for all the input. It will be another year with a ten and no winter camping but should be worth the wait.
© 24hourcampfire