Home
My brother did that. But on his bed.
Sadly, I watched a "friend" shoot a hole in the side of his 70 chev. truck bed exact same way.
Watched the setup, stood back and waited. Dumbass did not disappoint.
It happens. He's lucky he didn't get any fragments in his face. Folks forget the line of sight and the bore are generally an inch and half apart, at least, when dealing with scoped centerfires.

I know a guy who did the same thing to a new Chevy with a .22LR. My brother did it on our back deck with a scoped .22LR when we were kids. Bullet hole is still there.

Nice mounth on that idiot, cant say four words without a big F bomb. Wonder if his momma taught him that.

Years ago I had a friend with an auto body shop, he said he really looked forward to antelope season as he would get 4 or 5 jobs repairing the bullet divots in guys' pickup hoods. laugh
Friend used the top of his Scout as a rest to shoot a groundhog. Bullet went down through the roof and out the side window, missing his brothers head by about 6 inches. Both gone now from other accidents, miss them.
One time I was at the range with my kids and my daughter was on the bench shooting the AK47 and had the barrel sand bagged up. She's shooting away and me and my son were both looking down range at the target. A range officer walked up and stopped her. From the recoil, the muzzle had slipped back on the sand bag and she was shooting through the top sand bag. Boy, we all felt really stupid......duhh.
Only thing missing is a Bone Collector decal on the back glass..
^^^^^
270?
I can see it happening. You'd think someone would have told him what was about to happen
Many years ago one of the gunzine writers admitted to sighting in a Weatherby across the hood of a pickup and removing a fair amount of paint with the muzzle flash and blast. No holes just removed paint.

Jim
I was hunting muzzleloader season in CO last year. Walked along the passengers side of a pickup belonging to one of the kids that was helping out on our hunt. Started laughing so hard I almost fell over. There was a line of exit bullet holes just under the top rail of the box. My buds asked what was so funny, told them that them there are bullet holes and I bet I know how they got there. Sure enough the kid walks up and tells his story. Had to do with a scoped AR and a running 'yote... grin

It was only an old ford, no big deal.
Opening line takes the cake!! Yep, it got "real" for sure!
Why do I think there was likely a Tannerite target out there somewhere that the idiot was trying to hit?
My brother put several big cracks through his red Roadrunner's windshield back in the 70's by sighting in his 7mm Mag off the hood. That was an expensive sight-in.

A family friend shot the heck out of the top of a big hay bale while resting the gun barrel on the top of hay bale and trying to nail a buck. Amazing amount of chaff generated from that, was funny as heck watching it. Poof! Poof! Poof! Still makes me chuckle..
Friend's wife put the flash hider of her AR right on my new front bag, sand was flyin and she just kept shootin. Taped it up so I could use it and they thought it was hilarious. Didn't offer to buy me a new one or even apologize, have no need for friends like that.
A rancher was showing me around his ranch in his pick up prior to me trapping coyotes for him. He saw me looking at the crook in his radio antenna. He said, "yeah I was lining up on a coyote and creased the antenna with a bullet." It had a distinct kink in it from where the bullet brushed it.
He might have been good.... until he rested it right flat azz down on the top of the truck.
I am guilty of scorching the paint on my 86 Blazer hood with my brand new .50 cal Hawken with the very first shot out of it. To my credit it was my first BP rifle and never gave the muzzle blast a thought.
I didn't hit the roof with the bullet, but it was close enough that the shock wave left a slight crease in the roof of a car when I tried that almost 40 years ago.
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Only thing missing is a Bone Collector decal on the back glass..

TFF!
I bulls eyed the wire on a high tension fence around a cattle pasture with my 250 Savage once. Cut it right in two. I had to call the land owner and ask where the stuff was to fix it. He told me not to bother. If he ever decided to put cattle back in that pasture he'd fix it. Or not.
I know a guy who did that to his hood while attempting to sight in. That was long before the Internet. But, had it occurred today, I'm sure he would not have put it on YouTube.
I have shot the antennas off my chronograph. Still have the chronograph. It still works.
I swatted the driver side mirror on my '79 CJ5 with the old Marlin M60. Was trying for a pheasant.
my dads buddy did that to the hood of our old willys years ago road hunting. no hole but a big old burn/smear. it was there to the day we sold it.
A guy I know killed his buddy that way- bullet went through the roof while shooting at a deer and killed him. Stupid stunt.
I believe that happened in VA some time back also.
Very first time big game hunting and I went with some of my parents friends.

Dudes were probably 40-50 years old and I was 12-13 years old, hunting antelope from a pickup.

My dad was no doubt working but his friend has a ranch out where my tag was gtg.

Spot a herd and get somewhat close when the truck stops and I am instructed to get out and shoot.

Naturally lean over the hood and take aim at the jogging buck when I heard one of the 'guides' say, "I think he's gonna hit the hood".

Perfectly timed observation as I remember almost thinking about squeezing the trigger.

Lucky, that would have sucked to hit a pickup on your very first shot at a game animal.

FWIW, my dad took my brother and I out a week or two later and we snuck up on a nice little 12-13" buck.

I can recall a few beauties back in the days of cars with vinyl roofs...bullet didn't have to pass too awful close to make a mess
I put a black powder burn on the hood of my new Toyota 4W one time.
"Whoa wtf was that?"

Hint...

Some idiot with a rifle.
I knew someone one time that had a nice mushroom with a hole on the side of his pickup. Had a loaded gun on one of the back window rack. He hit a bump and the gun went off right behind his head. He said it was a load noise.
Creased the far side of the good on my parents mini van with a 22lr, when I was a kid.
I remember this happening - the family are friends of friends...

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/b...chet-fatal-for-granddaughter-1950496.php
Buddy of mine dropped an 870 loaded with Brennekes into his trunk and moved it around a bit while coming in from a deer hunt. First words out of his mouth Back at the apartment were "I have some good news, some bad news and a ballistics report" went out to his car to find a roughly 12 gauge hole about an inch from the filler cap of an 84 Omega, with a large band aid over it. Good news, missed the filler tube. Bad news, shot his car from inside the trunk, ballistics report, a 12 gauge Brenneke will penetrate car sheet metal from 12" at a 90 degree angle. I miss college.
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Only thing missing is a Roll Tide decal on the back glass..

Fixed it for you
Friend Was Shooting Some Hot Loads Through a Ruger Blackhawk. This Was off The Hood a His Wife's New Black Mustang Gt.. He Had a Towel Down As To Not Scratch It. Good News's No Scratch's. Bad The Recoil Jump looked As If It Had Been Beat With Ball Ping Hammer All Six Places
.. She Was Pissed..
A few years ago out in the Alaska Bush. The few roads there are are typically gravel and they are above the tundra. So we were on the road and had a box with a target down on the tundra. My cousin aimed (using the hood for a rest) and shot. He said, "how could I miss the target completely??" We were both looking at the box and then he saw the hood. I laughed MAO..

Several years farther back we were riding around in the back of a friends pick up truck shooting at rabbits. He was a cop and had a huge box of 38 was cutters and we could shoot as much as we wanted. At one point the truck got too close to a rabbit and and the guy next to me skidded a bullet off the hood of the truck. I thought the driver was going to go into apoplexy. LMAO then too.
In the early 90's when SKS rifles came popular in my area, I saw a windshield that got hammered when the driver failed to stick the rifle out far enough when shooting at a coyote or something. A few shots in quick succession resulted in a messed up windshield.
My uncle was shooting across the hood and put three in the opposite fender of a brand new '86 Suburban. The antelope never moved. He looked up and said, "aww $hit". Got it fixed before the trip home. My aunt never found out.
3 pickups shot - by others.
22 ding in hood
9mm severe ding in hood (didn't go through the hood)
30-06 penetration through the rear post of the cab
(whistled like crazy from exit shrapnel holes, while driving smile )
10 % rule applies here
Originally Posted by cra1948
I can recall a few beauties back in the days of cars with vinyl roofs...bullet didn't have to pass too awful close to make a mess

Heh Heh......

I did that number on the vinyl roof of my '77 Cadillac Eldorado with a 35 Whelen.

Comforting to know that piece of stupidity wasn't all that uncommon.

Uncle told me story about shooting a T/C contender and watching his cloth top explode HAHA
Loudest noise my ears have ever been subjected to was a .243 being shot from over the roof of my truck while I was in it. About killed the kid. Then he did it again. Farmers kids do some stupid stuff sometimes.
Just the shockwave of a centerfire rifle bullet passing within a few inches over it can put a very long tear in a convertible top.

Lots of windshields get cracked that way, also.

A shooter thinking a couple of inches of clearance is enough may be in for an unpleasant surprise.
Happens more often than you might think...
The worst I ever did was shoot a barb wire fence in two while shooting at a freezer deer at about 10 yards. 50 caliber Hornady 385 grain lead bullet. I was in the middle of about 12 deer, don't think I injured any of them. It was rumered that a guy in a town close by caved in a windshield shooting a 50 cal.(not black powder) across his pickup hood.
Buddy burnt his headliner with a flinchlock. Not sure if he got the deer, he wouldn't admit why he shot out the window. wink
Back in the middle fifties was working a Washington Department of Wildlife Game check point on opening morning of Deer Season as a Boy Scout when a guy came out in a new Plymouth station wagon with a nice buck tied to the hood and a big hole in the windshield upon talking to his hunting partner the guy was to hung over from partying the night before. He decided to stay in the car and sleep it off. He was sleeping it off pretty good when all of a sudden he was woke up by the car vibrating quite violently. The vibration was caused by the buck on the hood rubbing his horns on the front bumber. So the guy raised his 30/30 to his shoulder and shot the buck through the windshield of the car.
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

And, thus the science of parallax is explained!
Last week while waiting for the company to do an inspection on the RV I'd just returned I noticed they had a ladder on the one parked next to it. I asked if there was some damage to the roof and the girl said probably, and then mentioned in the morning they'd had an RV returned that the renter had managed to discharge his firearm in and put a bullet through the bed and out through the side of the RV.
Another time a few years ago Wood Cutter Bob was cutting firewood up on Skidder Hill up accross the road from Compass Rose Farm here just South of Disovery Bay off Hwy 101 when he spotted a Black Bear down below him so he grabs his rifle and using the hood of his Chevy Blazer Shoots the Blazer's Hood and the Bear wonders off to the next county.
That brings back bad memories, back in the 70's outside the small towns of Beaumont and Kunkle PA a friend of my cousins was driving his teen age daughter to school when a big buck crossed the road. Thinking he would drop it quick and come back to get it he leaned over the top of his International Scout and fired. The bullet entered the cab and struck the girl in the head killing her immediately.

The he was never the same...
2 stories, both involved guys I worked with in the power plant. First guy was hunting woodchucks with his .308. He shot 3 times at a running woodchuck and hit the hood of his truck each time. Damaged the fire wall too. 2nd guy was a grumpy old phart. He and another guy were road "hunting" and the driver asked him if his rifle was loaded. He says "what do you think I am, an idiot?" as he pulls the trigger. Shoots through the floor, oil pan and oil filter. Somebody mounted that Purolator oil filter with the bullet hole through it on a plaque and every year, just before deer season it would get hung on the wall about 10' up. He could never laugh about that but we all did.
In a little different vein but once I was shooting a 45 Colt, RRH with heavy Buff Bore loads in the Creed more position with the big revolver tight against my calf; I only shot once. The flash from the cylinder-barrel gap burned through my jeans and left a nickel sized, fairly bad burn on my leg. Felt like I had gotten stung by an ice pick.
Ouch!

Cant imagine shooting that RRH with those loads was very fun in that position, even without the burn.
I "borrowed" one of my mom's couch pillows to rest my super blackhawk on. It lasted about 3 shots, she was not real proud.
I know a guy that maybe was out jacklighting rabbits in a truck way after dark. Passenger saw a rabbit running and open fire with a semiautomatic with rabit running right in front of the truck as the guy continued to fire. Made some nice holes in the front of the truck.

Dad had a '67 Olds Delta 88 with a vinyl top that had a few tears in it. A friend of his used the top as a rest to shoot his .300 WM.

A two foot diameter circle of vinyl makes a lot of confetti.

Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
Just the shockwave of a centerfire rifle bullet passing within a few inches over it can put a very long tear in a convertible top.

Lots of windshields get cracked that way, also.

A shooter thinking a couple of inches of clearance is enough may be in for an unpleasant surprise.

It's not the shock wave of the bullet. The shock wave of the bullet won't even tear paper. If it did we'd need to find something else to make targets out of.

It's the muzzle blast.
now don't go ruining his pretend.
© 24hourcampfire