Home
Went looking this past weekend,pickings seem pretty slim.
28 doubles,seems to be a few,no singles,don't know if H&R is still producing anything these days.
brother in law has a few collector pieces of win 37 and a Stevens,seen a few nice doubles like Sam Olson's in 28.
Anybody know for sure one way or another?
Not too many 28 gauge single shots out there that I know of. We have an older CIL model 402 in 28 gauge that is pretty nice, I watched internet sites for a couple of years before I found it. Of course a used H&R could be found still and you may still find a new one somewhere.

The Boito hiker appears to be available in 28 gauge but I don't know if they are a great shotgun.

I'm also looking for another 28 gauge single shot so if you find someone who makes a new one please let me know.

Get you a Churchill imported by Kassnar in a double. Very nice little guns for the money. Think of it as a single shot with two barrels.
I've got a Beretta FS-1 - nice gun. Just don't know if they're still made ?
Originally Posted by fluffy
Went looking this past weekend,pickings seem pretty slim.
28 doubles,seems to be a few,no singles,don't know if H&R is still producing anything these days.
brother in law has a few collector pieces of win 37 and a Stevens,seen a few nice doubles like Sam Olson's in 28.
Anybody know for sure one way or another?

Just curious....why a 28 over a 20 when you can't find 28's? I have a couple of 20 Ga breakover single shots and love them.

Originally Posted by 257heaven

Just curious....why a 28 over a 20 when you can't find 28's? I have a couple of 20 Ga breakover single shots and love them.

Recoil in a light 20 ga can be a bit much for a young beginner.
The bigger heartache is for a youngster to lose game with a piss ant mouse gun like a 28 or a .410
Originally Posted by lilderrick
The bigger heartache is for a youngster to lose game with a piss ant mouse gun like a 28 or a .410

Sorry, but the 28 is a real shotgun.
H&R still catalogs their Partner in 28 gauge. When I lived in eastern Washington I hunted upland exclusively with a Beretta 686 28 gauge. I know a couple hundred birds that would argue the "piss ant, mouse gun" status of the 28 gauge.
I bought one of the Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U for about $350 in 28ga. and it is a nice looking and so far a nice shooting gun. It's more than the single shots but should retain the value.

Bart
I have a CZ Bobwhite in 28 gauge.
it has 2 barrels,but they both go off at once!!!!

Less than 2 boxes of shells through it,going back for warranty.

Didn't feel like a piss ant when 2- 7/8 oz. golden phesant went off at the same time !!!
7/8oz in a 28?

That's all I shoot in a 20!
I havent been able to find a new single anywhere.
H&R still catalogue their trap model,hasn't been made for several years.
It's actually for me not a youngster.
May be easier to just custom load some 12 gauge shells very lightly.
We have a H&R single shot in 28 gauge that the kids all started with, nice little gun
Originally Posted by Tyrone
7/8oz in a 28?

That's all I shoot in a 20!

Federal has or did have a 7/8 ounce 28 gauge load. It was a pheasant hammer. I liked the load a lot, especially on pheasants and loaded a few boxes of 7/8 ounce loads for that purpose. I still used the 3/4 ounce for the bulk of my shooting and never felt under gunned. I ran IC and modified chokes for 90% of my field shooting and rarely ever felt the need for more choke. In fact a lot of grouse gunning I could have done with cylinder or skeet chokes. It was an exceptionally uniform patterning gun with all of the chokes. I can't say on the full choke as I don't actually remember ever having it in the gun. It also saw a fair amount of jump shooting for ducks with bismuth handloads. It crumpled ducks as well as it did quail and pheasants.

I don't do near as much upland gunning now and in a moment of idiocy sold that little Beretta. I could kick myself.

I would agree the 410 is poor choice in most cases for a kid's gun, especially in a single shot. Most of them are choked somewhere around super, extra tight, fuller than full. Consequently they tend to have sketchy patterns at best as they force a stream of shot through that tiny, heavily constricted barrel. The 28 gauge with a 3/4 ounce load doesn't sound like much more compared to the 410 but the load is much better balanced in relation to the bore diameter. Two of my hunting buddies shoot 28's and both have experienced similar results in the field.
Does anyone know if the sub-caliber inserts are still made?
A 28 GA insert in the old 12 single may work also.
call briley on the inserts IIRC
Winchester loads a full ounce @ 1200 in 28s. Might be too much of a good thing in a 6 pound gun but a .410 toy it's not.

I tried the Winchesters as well and never got as consistent a pattern as I did with the 3/4 and 7/8 ounce load. They weren't bad but I seemed to get bigger holes in the pattern than I did with the lighter shot charges. They sure hammered pheasant though.
Originally Posted by lilderrick

I will kill as many birds or more with my Beretta 28 ga as you will with the bigger gauges
As others have noted, the 28 gauge is damn fine for most game. Not my choice for passing ducks but near everything else it's balance of recoil and shot is great. The gent I just duck hunted with is using one this year with HeviShot #4's (um, no I will likely never be the wing shot he is)

Yes, H&R still makes the Pardner - http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/pardneryouth.asp

In addition, I wouldn't hesitate to buy used and if you're willing to go with an extra barrel there are more options than ever.

[Linked Image]
I'd look at Tristar. Their quality has come up dramatically. They do have a warranty station in the US, but if it weren't for their older gun they would be like the May tag repairman. Worth a look. They are not single shots you will find semis and OU I believe in 28 ga.
© 24hourcampfire